gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:02:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 435
Total: 435

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Interview: An Idol Who Really Gives Back  (Read 8130 times)
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« on: May 08, 2007, 09:45:10 AM »

An Idol Who Really Gives Back

05/07/2007 7:00 PM, Yahoo! Music
Laura Hertzfeld

Before charming the hearts of American Idol fans in 2003, singer Clay Aiken was a teacher, focusing on special education in his native North Carolina. Today, in addition to performing and recording, Clay acts as an education ambassador for UNICEF, most recently in post-Taliban Afghanistan. Still jetlagged, Clay told Yahoo! Music in his smooth drawl why Idol Gives Back won't solve the poverty problem, what it was like to grow a beard and wear long robes, and why he never sings when visiting schools abroad.

YAHOO! MUSIC: What were your overall impressions of Afghanistan?

CLAY: I think, more than anything, the trip to me was a stereotype-breaker because there are so many times in the U.S. that we see in the news the negative things that happen in Afghanistan. We see the headcoverings and we think Muslim, we hear about suicide bombings and terrorists, and we think "Middle East." Afghanistan's not in the Middle East, it's in South Asia, and it's not a desert. My friends were all, "It must have been so hot there!" But you can see in some of the pictures the snow-capped mountains. There are many parts of Afghanistan that are really quite a lush landscape. I had a lot of misconceptions about the country and about the people there.

YAHOO! MUSIC: Why education?

CLAY: Well you know, I was a teacher, so education is kind of important to me. I focus on education mainly with UNICEF on every trip that I take. A number of schools [in Afghanistan] were destroyed during the Taliban era. The schools that were around only housed male students--girls were not allowed to go to school. So now there are twice the number of students and there's just not enough room to hold these kids. They are sitting outside on the ground all day.

YAHOO! MUSIC: The Idol Gives Back charity event raised more than $70 million. Could you relate to what you saw your fellow idols doing in Africa and other places?

CLAY: I think there's definitely a problem--and I'll point to recent charity events--when people go and they talk about the need in an area or a country and they don't have the information. If you come back and you talk about the need in a country and don't know what's going on in the country, then you're completely remiss. There's always a greater cause [to poverty] than throwing money at the issue, and I think the strongest solution, the strongest weapon we have against poverty and hunger is education. When you take a look at something like Idol Gives Back and you realize that the main piece of information we got is that people are hungry in Africa, but we didn't find out why they are hungry in Africa and we didn't out where in Africa they are hungry, nor did we find out the major causes. Without the education about what's going on in the country, we're doing no service except for perpetuating that same stereotype that Africa, or any other country in the world, is lesser than the U.S., and we're in the role that we have to give to them.

YAHOO! MUSIC: Did you perform for the kids you met in Afghanistan? How did they like your music?

CLAY: [Laughing] I made the mistake in Uganda of performing for some kids who were in a night commuter center, and they were singing a song and they were clapping. It was kind of a joyful, cheerful song. They didn't know me, but they had heard that I was a singer, and so they asked me to sing a song, and I couldn't think of what to sing. And someone whispered to me, "Sing 'Bridge Over Troubled Water.'" And so I got through maybe a line of the song before the kids started laughing at me so hard. They'd never heard any music like that before in their lives. So I've made it a point when I take these trips to never sing.

YAHOO! MUSIC: Maybe someday you'll get a request.

CLAY: Maybe next time I take a trip I'll make it a point to learn a native song.

YAHOO! MUSIC: Do you have a favorite story of any of the people you met in Afghanistan or a moment during your trip that touched you the most?

CLAY: One of the things that stuck with me more than anything else was just the hunger, the thirst for education. I mean, these kids wanted to go to school. My social studies teacher [who accompanied me on the trip]--she was quite jealous. She's been teaching for 30 years and she's never had a class full of students who wanted to be there as much as these kids in Afghanistan wanted to be there.

YAHOO! MUSIC: How has your work with UNICEF influenced your music? What do you take back with you?

CLAY: Every time I come back from these situations, you take a look at what's important to you, and how privileged we are, and it's easy to take that back. But it's important to remember that we have to be a proactive society. It's interesting to me to look at Afghanistan and realize that there are countries all around the world that we haven't looked at because they haven't affected us and yet, one of these days it's possible that one of them could affect us. Had we taken a hard look at the needs of women and children in Afghanistan in 1996, it's possible that we could have prevented September 11, 2001.

YAHOO! MUSIC: How did it feel to be an American in Afghanistan? Were you welcomed in the towns you visited?

CLAY: One of the main things to remember is that people in Afghanistan did not like the Taliban, either. I was worried going in, imagining what I was going to be involved with and what I was going to find myself running into. But, it was quite different. The people were nothing but hospitable, they were completely welcoming and so wonderful. We really just had nothing but a warm welcome everywhere. I thought [Kabul] was going to be a lot more antiquated. It's a bustling metropolis. There was wireless internet in our hotel, glass elevators, it was right inside a shopping mall like we'd see in the U.S. It's not some sort of deprived and destitute city like I expected to see.

YAHOO! MUSIC: I saw in pictures of you that you'd changed your looks a bit to fit in there.

CLAY: I wanted to be culturally respectful to the country and the people there. It's kind of part of their culture to be bearded and to be dressed appropriately. But that again is kind of part of the stereotype about Afghanistan, but there's quite a bit of what I guess we'd call "Western" attire in the country.

YAHOO! MUSIC: How can young people get involved?

CLAY: Learn about the things! You have to be educated about what's going on in your world. You have to know the problems. Poverty and hunger are only the effects of larger problems.

YAHOO! MUSIC: Why is it important for celebrities to be the face of UNICEF?

CLAY: I haven't necessarily heard too much negative, but I think the main problem is the media's attention. We are a society that only pays attention to in the media. We put too much emphasis on celebrities. And even though I am one and I don't mind the attention every once in a while, it's sad that you have to have a celebrity to bring attention to these causes.

YAHOO! MUSIC: Do you still watch American Idol, and do you have an opinion on who's going to win this season?

CLAY: No comment.

Yahoo Music
lovinclay
Enthusiastic

Clay Aiken...Character and Integrity Personified!

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 10:34:07 AM »

Thanks, Pamela! Hmmmm, powerful interview!  I have to wonder about some of his comments on IGB.  While I agree with what he said, I imagine that some Idol supporters, etc. will not take too kindly to his words.  I doubt we'll ever see him on that show again, which is fine by me.  Time to move on. 

MICKI  

Supporting Clay, unconditionally, no matter what!

"People who read the tabloids deserve to be lied to" - Jerry Seinfield
Sundancer
Enthusiastic

THE QUEEN OF SNARK Raleigh

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 10:36:00 AM »

YAHOO! MUSIC: The Idol Gives Back charity event raised more than $70 million. Could you relate to what you saw your fellow idols doing in Africa and other places?

CLAY: I think there's definitely a problem--and I'll point to recent charity events--when people go and they talk about the need in an area or a country and they don't have the information. If you come back and you talk about the need in a country and don't know what's going on in the country, then you're completely remiss... When you take a look at something like Idol Gives Back and you realize that the main piece of information we got is that people are hungry in Africa, but we didn't find out why they are hungry in Africa and we didn't out where in Africa they are hungry, nor did we find out the major causes. Without the education about what's going on in the country, we're doing no service except for perpetuating that same stereotype that Africa, or any other country in the world, is lesser than the U.S., and we're in the role that we have to give to them.
Good point. Instead of trying to rush in to "save" a population we know little or nothing about, it would help all involved if we actually learned what the root of the problem is, and how best to address that. Otherwise, we're only putting a bandaid on the situation, and the poverty and hunger will rage on as soon as the money is depleted.

I'm not saying that sending money, food, building and medical supplies is a waste of time or effort. But they're only temporary fixes. I think tackling the source of the symptoms is the way to achieve lasting improvement in anyone's quality of life.

It's interesting to me to look at Afghanistan and realize that there are countries all around the world that we haven't looked at because they haven't affected us and yet, one of these days it's possible that one of them could affect us. Had we taken a hard look at the needs of women and children in Afghanistan in 1996, it's possible that we could have prevented September 11, 2001.
Whoa. That's a daring statement.

I would need more background information to comment intelligently, either in agreement or otherwise.

"To look at me, you may be wrong. I've been through this--it made me strong."
"'Lifted me up when I couldn't reach; you gave me faith 'cuz you believed."
"I believed that I would find an open door or a Light to lead me to the other side."
lovinclay
Enthusiastic

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 11:12:45 AM »

I totally agree, Pam.  While money will help alleviate the immediate problem, education will help "solve" the problem.  Education is the word of the day here......both for the donors of the funds and for the people of the countries receiving the donations.

MICKI  

aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 11:44:24 AM »

interesting article!

Thanks for posting it!

I love how passionate Clay is about this!

AI Forum Moderator
Yup, I think about Clay probably about as often as men think about sex.
"Half my butt is mac & cheese and the other half is Krispy Kreme..." Clay Aiken
Carpe Clayum-Seize the Clay
Marilyn
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

THE EPITOME OF DECORUM

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 01:04:35 PM »

Wow!! He really made some hard statements in that!! Idol is DEFINITELY not going to be happy with him. And yet, I can see his point. They DO need to address the reason for the poverty. Helping the families to help themselves will be a step in the right direction- educating them in health, the benefits of education, and their environment would definitely help, along with supplying food, water, innoculations, and

I am not so sure about the statement concerning 9/11- thats a difficult thing to assess. Not sure that if women and children were "more educated" in 1996 (why did he pick that year?) that 5 years later that tragedy could have been avoided. There are still zealots out there that would do what those terrorists did. 

Clay is really taking a decisive stand here on these issues.

ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!
Sundancer
Enthusiastic

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 01:23:20 PM »

For all AI's crowing about having raised "almost $70 million," I don't believe Idol Gives Back was done for altruistic reasons. I do think at least some of that money will help some people. To what extent and for how long, I can't say.

But I'm not so naive that I think a tv show can end poverty and hunger in two countries--or to think they even want to. That's simply not why they're in existence. AI has a different purpose. Hence, they're not going to launch a comprehensive study on the history of social and economic issues in an African nation (or in this nation, for that matter), complete with expert opinions on how best to remedy them.

I don't think Idol has done anything mean-spirited, or offered false hope with this campaign. Simply put, they're not UNICEF. And UNICEF, while excellent at what they do, cannot be counted on to broadcast a top-rated entertainment show every year.

"I believed that I would find an open door or a Light to lead me to the other side."
GWENN
Enthusiastic

HE'S KILLING ME!!!!!!

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 01:55:24 PM »

THAT IS SOME INTERVIEW.  I HAVE TO AGREE WITH CLAY ABAOUT THROWING MONEY AT PROBLEMS.  THAT DOES NOT WORK AND OFTEN MAKES IT WORSE--EXAMPLE IS OUR WELFARE SYSTEM THAT FAILED.  YOU HAVE TO HELP AN IMMEDIATE NEED LIKE THE TSUNAMI OR WHAT IS HAPPENING IN KANSAS RIGHT NOW.  BUT YOU NEED TO BE PROACTIVE AS CLAY SAID.  SOMETIMES PEOPLE THINK THAT MONEY IS THE ANSWER TO EVERYTHING.  ONLY IF IT IS USED TO PRODUCE A RESULT.  EDUCATION HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE ANSWER.  IMO.  TEACH PEOPLE HOW TO GROW THEIR OWN FOOD MORE EFFICIENTLY.  DON'T JUST GIVE THEM FOOD FOR NOW.  TEACH THEM SKILLS TO MAKE THEIR WORLD WORK.  TEACH THEM ABOUT CLEAN WATER, CONDOMS, ETC. 

AS FOR AI--I DO SENSE A BITTERNESS THERE.  NO IDEA WHY, BUT I DON'T THINK WE WILL SEE HIM ON THAT SHOW ANY TIME SOON.  WOW.

9/11--I THINK HE IS WRONG.  THE US IS PERCEIVED AS DEPRAVED BY BEN LADIN AND COMPANY.  THOSE TERRORISTS ARE ANNOYED WITH US FOR MORE REASONS THAT CLAY IS TALKING ABOUT.  WON'T GET INTO THEM ALL HERE.

BUT HE IS MOST RIGHT ABOUT THE FACT THAT OUR YOUNG FOLKS NEED TO BE MORE COGNIZENT OF WHAT IS GOING ON IN THE WORLD TODAY.  AND THEY ARE NOT.  THEY ARE SO BUSY GETTING THEIR OWN LIVES GOING THAT THEY HAVE NEGLECTED THE REST OF WHAT IS GOING ON IN THE WORLD.  AND I SPEAK FROM EXPERIENCE OF MY KID, MY FRIENDS' KIDS, ETC.  BRIGHT, EDUCATED, SUCCESSFUL, BUT NOT KNOWING WHAT IS GOING ON IN THE WORLD.  THAT HAS TO CHANGE.  ONE HOUSEHOLD AT A TIME.  BECAUSE CLAY IS A COMTEMPERARY OF ERICA AND HER FRIENDS, I AM SO IMPRESSED WITH HIS CONCERN.  VERY.

GWENN

HIS VOICE WRAPS AROUND MY HEART.
KEEPER OF CLAY'S CHARM
ALWAYS AND FOREVER
Ms. Hip Shake
SuperFan

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 03:37:25 PM »

CLAY: I think there's definitely a problem--and I'll point to recent charity events--when people go and they talk about the need in an area or a country and they don't have the information. If you come back and you talk about the need in a country and don't know what's going on in the country, then you're completely remiss... When you take a look at something like Idol Gives Back and you realize that the main piece of information we got is that people are hungry in Africa, but we didn't find out why they are hungry in Africa and we didn't out where in Africa they are hungry, nor did we find out the major causes. Without the education about what's going on in the country, we're doing no service except for perpetuating that same stereotype that Africa, or any other country in the world, is lesser than the U.S., and we're in the role that we have to give to them.

Gotta pipe in and say that I like Clay's take on this.  I really like it.  He is one smart and ballsy man.   Raising money is one thing (and a good thing), but getting to the root of a problem and snuffing it out at the core is another.  He is right and I like how this man thinks.   Clapping

I love Clay Aiken and his....titanium thing-a-ma-bobs.  Go Clay 

Peace out, fandom.  Thanks for the memories.  Goodbye.
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 03:51:46 PM »

I take some of Clay's comments as a challenge.

So, I did a little research.  (A very little, because I have lots going on, as do most people.)

1996 is when the Taliban invaded Kabul and took control of the government in Afghanistan.  Prior to that time, women in the country were free to work, go to school, and wear western clothing.  Or, they could retain the traditional role of women and wear the burkah, etc.  They had a choice.  Under the rule of the Taliban, that choice was removed.

The term "gender apartheid" has been used to describe the treatment of women in Afghanistan under Taliban rule.  Women were beaten and even murdered for going against their rules.  Women and girls were treated like chattel. 

And, the world did nothing.  So, that's probably what he is referring to.

I watch the news. A lot!  In fact, I've become a CNN and MSNBC junky since I've not been working.  But I can't educate myself to all the nuances of every humanitarian crisis in every country in the world.  I don't have that kind of time, even without a full time job. 

Clay shows passion when he speaks of the world's oppressed.  That's why I trust him.  UNICEF and Oxfam, as well as other well respected organizations, know what they are doing, that's why they get my money, directly.

I'm not sure he was criticizing IGB specifically; but I do think he was challenging them, and other organizations like the sponsor of the effort, whose name I've already forgotten, to step up their game and expand their horizons.  It's one thing to patronize those less fortunate in order to spur emotion in charitable citizens, but it's another thing to prop yourself up on the laurels for doing so.

Interesting too was his final comment about the show - "no comment."  He could have just said, "I don't know," or "I'm not watching."

Zing!

clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 04:21:16 PM »

I know that there was some angst in Claynation when Clay wasn't mentioned as one of the stars on the ICB show.  I had always had a hunch that Clay had a reason for not being there. shrug

Then we found out he was in NY receiving an award.  Good for him!  Clapping Clapping

But, I noticed that many of the Idol winners (Ruben, Fantasia, Taylor et al) were taped and then shown giving their little encouragement speeches.  Now we know why Clay wasn't one of them. Wink

Clay "is" the "News"
When Words Fail--Let Music Speak
quynn
UltimateFan

Nobody Special

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 04:46:12 PM »

I take some of Clay's comments as a challenge.

I believe this is his way of educating and inspiring....challenging us to think about this complex issue.  Mission accomplished!  Smile

Interesting too was his final comment about the show - "no comment."  He could have just said, "I don't know," or "I'm not watching."

Zing!

That question just didn't seem to fit the theme of the interview.  Reminded me of his interview with Diane Sawyer when all he wanted to do was plug UNICEF, and all she wanted to do was replay a clip from AI the night before.   crazy  SOS!  Laughing

"You're a mystery. You have your own look. There is something very magical about your look and your voice is so pure." --Gladys Knight--
lovinclay
Enthusiastic

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 09:09:32 AM »

Hey, Ms. Hippy!  Good to see you back.  I think he has those titanium things, too!  Yes I do!  Smile

MICKI  

fhmmany2
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

Clay's Magazine Maniac

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 07:48:17 PM »

sigh This just showed up in my email - in a Google Alert from Access Hollywood. Clay might be completely correct in everything he said, but if he is truly not watching Idol this year, as he has stated, why in the world did he comment on anything they are doing?  He does not know what kind of research Idol did for the charities they are supporting (and one of the Charities is UNICEF).  I got very tired of watching Idol pat itself on the back for Idol Gives Back, but surely the money will do some good. After all, if children starve to death, they can't go to school to be educated.  I was hoping the news outlets would not jump on this, but I'm afraid I was wrong.  More negative press  argh!

Memories of Julie, jj, Liz, Carol, Janet, and Debi Make Me Smile - I Was Lucky To Have Known Them!
I Met Clay In Atlanta On 8/2/05 - Life Is Good!
Sundancer
Enthusiastic

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 07:53:34 PM »

The King of Controversy strikes again. Laughing

GWENN
Enthusiastic

HE'S KILLING ME!!!!!!

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2007, 03:50:48 AM »

The King of Controversy strikes again. Laughing

Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!

GWENN

HIS VOICE WRAPS AROUND MY HEART.
KEEPER OF CLAY'S CHARM
ALWAYS AND FOREVER
tiff
UltimateFan

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2007, 04:12:39 PM »

Initially I took Clay's comment about IGB to say that their efforts are useless (ie. more for Idol than anyone else). But after reading the comments about "challenging" Idol (and everyone else for that matter) to do more, I have to agree with that instead.

For whatever reason Idol decided to do IGB, ultimately, they did raise $70 million for charitable organizations. And yeah, simply throwing money at poverty and walking away won't solve anything. But it makes a lot of things possible. I guess the real challenge is what is done with that money. <Insert Clay's IGB comment here>.

Now, I'm not a fan of Idol or anything, but even if they raised that money for their own benefit, they still raised that money. The focus of this should be on poverty and the situation that parts of the world is in. So Idol can go do whatever they want, but the organizations who work to solve this everyday still got some money to help them along, and I think our focus should stay on them.

(I also liked what Clay said about looking at other countries as "lesser." I've never thought about it like that before.)

"And the one poor child who saved this world, and there's ten million more who probably could if we all just stopped and said a prayer for them" - Goo Goo Dolls, 'Better Days'
clayniac4ver
Claymaniac

clayed on 5/27/08 on g105 yesterday

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2007, 06:02:44 AM »

clay really does give back and he loves giving back to the world Clapping Clapping Clapping Clapping Clapping Clapping

YOU GO CLAY bigsmile bigsmile bigsmile bigsmile bigsmile bigsmile

ALYSE

"faith has concered my fear since i got the album"

got clayed on the 13th of january on g105
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx