gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:49:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 459
Total: 459

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sunday Roundtable Discussion: Unicef Ambassador  (Read 3626 times)
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« on: April 22, 2007, 08:21:08 AM »

UNICEF Ambassador Clay Aiken visits Afghanistan

NEW YORK, USA, 18 April 2007 – UNICEF National Ambassador Clay Aiken has visited central Afghanistan to see for himself how UNICEF is trying to improve life for children in the region.

“We met a number of young women who have an amazing outlook on their future now in post-conflict Afghanistan,” said the US pop star. “There is an amazing sense of hope, an amazing sense of promise, not only in the country but in the youth as well.”

At the Sadat Health Clinic near Bamyan, Mr. Aiken saw lifesaving measures in action and even administered the oral polio vaccination to a newborn baby. Besides providing immunization, the clinic offers family planning services and midwives to advise mothers on breastfeeding and good hygiene practices.

People from other villages sometimes walk up to four hours in order to reach the clinic.

UNICEF supports Sadat Health Clinic by training health staff in hygiene education, vaccines, integrated maternal and child health, and nutrition. The organization has also assisted with the construction of water points and latrines to provide safe drinking water and sanitation.

Literacy for girls and women

During his two-day stay in Bamyan, Mr. Aiken also visited the Said Aabad women’s literacy centre, which UNICEF helped to establish last October. He heard from girls and women aged 16 to 50 about how they were learning to read and write for the first time, and the subsequent impact on their lives.

In Bamyan Province, the literacy rate is 6 per cent for women and 44 per cent for men. UNICEF currently supports over 95 literacy courses in the province and is working to create 30 new literacy centres there due to high demand.

“Educated women can contribute effectively to the reduction of child and maternal mortality rates,” said UNICEF Representative in Afghanistan Catherine Mbengue, who joined Mr. Aiken on this visit. “Educated women will be able to voice their concerns and also make better decisions in regard to their families.”

Ms. Mbengue also urged government officials to make adult literacy initiatives a priority and to ensure the active involvement of women in training programmes and activities.

Rebuilding schools, training teachers

Despite challenging, bumpy paths in the mountainous region, the delegation members continued with their visit to meet hundreds of girl students at Shirin Hazara School in Foladi Valley, west of Bamyan. There, Mr. Aiken spent time with students and the teachers in their outdoor classrooms.

“As a former teacher, I recognize that spark of hope and excitement all children possess when given the opportunity to learn,” he said. “Rebuilding schools, training teachers, providing essential supplies and teaching materials are just some of the advances UNICEF and its partners have made to keep that hope flourishing.”

Still, girls’ school enrolment in Bamyan remains low at just 38 per cent, compared to 62 per cent for boys. Although Mr. Aiken witnessed positive moves to address this situation and make lasting improvements for young people, at least 30 per cent of the province’s school-age children – over a million in all – are not even enrolled in school.

That fact alone shows there is still much work to be done.

UNICEF

We all know that Clay just completed a Unicef trip to Afghanistan.   Clapping Clapping  He makes a great ambassador! Yes!

So, today, let's discuss this trip.  Tell us what you think about his role as ambassador.  What do you see as the most important aspect of his Unicef work?  What part of this adventure really touched your heart??

Clay "is" the "News"
When Words Fail--Let Music Speak
Claygirl
SuperFan

Always have faith, and there will be a way.

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 08:44:12 AM »

What I think about Clay's role as an ambassador: I think he is the perfect person for the job, you can see in his face, the genuine caring he has for every child he meets on his UNCIEF trips, that he's not just doing it for the press like I tend to think other celebrities do. It always amazes me how he uses his celebrity to bring awareness to causes people might not think of otherwise, and how he's so smart and well informed of the different situations he witnesses on his trips. But I do hate that he has to venture into potentially dangerous places, I'm always so relived, as we all are, when he arrives back safe and sound. I admire him and marvel at the fact that he wanted to be a teacher to help kids, and now he's become a sort of teacher to the word.  bigsmile I'm also always proud of the influence Clay has, shown especially in how much money was raised with his e-appeal, and how amazing all of his fans are to jump at the opportunity to make whatever Clay's a part of, a success.  The most improtant aspect of his work, I think, is like Clay says, bringing awareness, if we don't know where help is needed, or the severity of the need for change, or where to donate money and time, nothing is accomplished, but Clay makes sure people know how to help, and that's the most improtant part.  bigsmile And what touched my heart the most? Having dail-up I haven't seen any of the videos, and had the misfortune of missing his appearances on GMA as well as the Today show, but I managed to catch his interview on ET, and when I saw him giving the medicine to that precious baby, seeing his face so full of love, and hearing him say so softly, "All done darlin'" I could actually feel my heart swell with pride, love and admiration,  Love! and just thinking about it brings tears to my eyes.  ~Kelly~

Angel Baby Dust ~Kelly~ Baby Dust
Love! I love Clay Aiken! Music heartbeat claymaniacs rocks
Hearing Clay's voice, quiets the ones in my head. Wink
(Clay's biggest fan and David Cook "Word Nerd" #2894!) :heartburst
fhmmany2
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

Clay's Magazine Maniac

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 12:39:22 PM »

Clapping Clapping Clapping Clapping   Clapping Clapping Clapping I would post, but I couldn't possibly say it any better - thanks, Kelly!  Huggles

Memories of Julie, jj, Liz, Carol, Janet, and Debi Make Me Smile - I Was Lucky To Have Known Them!
I Met Clay In Atlanta On 8/2/05 - Life Is Good!
franniek54
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 03:27:24 PM »

I agree that Clay is an excellent Ambassador for Education.  He's got all the right credentials and experience and it is an issue that is close to his heart.

I believe that Clay feels this is his real calling and he puts his heart and soul into it.  He finds the courage to go where the need is and puts his trust in God and Unicef to keep him safe, which is absolutely the right thing to do, because they are the experts in this field.  They educate him and he in turn educates us.  He is right that the best thing he can do is to "talk about it" and bring these needs to light.

I find it interesting that, if you want to think of Clay's fans as unique (which is debatable), they are exactly the people who will respond best to Clay's favorite causes.  It is absolutely divine providence.  Who cares more about the welfare of kids than mothers and future mothers.  All that is needed is the awareness. 

I personnally was not aware of the plight of children in Uganda.  And again, not aware of the need for assistance in getting schools up and running in Afghanistan; that grown women need to begin their educations after being denied their whole lives; that when true educational facilities are unavailable that is when people have to turn to madrasahs to get any education of any kind, and that's when they get indoctrinated into the extremism that is so destructive.   

So supporting the development of an educational framework in Afghanistan is essential to us all.  And we as Americans have so much, we should think more about sharing with the truly needy in the world.

Clay is never more attractive to me than when he is doing this work, and I applaude Unicef for sticking with him despite ugly rumors.  He is in very distiguished company and has earned the right to be included in that group, and the world should know that.
Claygirl
SuperFan

Always have faith, and there will be a way.

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 10:42:58 AM »

Clapping Clapping Clapping Clapping   Clapping Clapping Clapping I would post, but I couldn't possibly say it any better - thanks, Kelly!  Huggles
Frankie!  Huggles ~Kelly~  bigsmile

Angel Baby Dust ~Kelly~ Baby Dust
Love! I love Clay Aiken! Music heartbeat claymaniacs rocks
Hearing Clay's voice, quiets the ones in my head. Wink
(Clay's biggest fan and David Cook "Word Nerd" #2894!) :heartburst
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx