gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:54:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 460
Total: 460

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: UNICEF FILE: AFGHANISTAN  (Read 3754 times)
Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« on: April 18, 2007, 05:24:48 PM »

This will be a permanent thread in which we will post and discuss updates of official UNICEF business concerning assistance to children in Afghanistan and Clay's travels there for UNICEF.

Post and/or discuss!

“We cannot tell the precise moment when friendship is formed. As in filling a vessel drop by drop, there is at last a drop which makes it run over. So in a series of kindnesses there is, at last, one which makes the heart run over.” James Boswell
Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 05:27:32 PM »

UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador Clay Aiken visits Afghanistan

NEW YORK, USA, 18 April 2007 – UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador Clay Aiken has visited central Afghanistan to see for himself how UNICEF is trying to improve life for children in the region.

“We met a number of young women who have an amazing outlook on their future now in post conflict Afghanistan,” said Mr. Aiken. “There is an amazing sense of hope, an amazing sense of promise, not only in the country but in the youth as well.”

At the Sadat Health Clinic near Bamyan, Mr. Aiken saw lifesaving measures in action and even administered the oral polio vaccination to a newborn baby. Besides providing immunization, the clinic offers family planning services and midwives to advise mothers on breastfeeding and good hygiene practices.

People from other villages sometimes walk up to four hours in order to reach the clinic.

read more at:

http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/afghanistan_39401.html

“We cannot tell the precise moment when friendship is formed. As in filling a vessel drop by drop, there is at last a drop which makes it run over. So in a series of kindnesses there is, at last, one which makes the heart run over.” James Boswell
Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 05:31:16 PM »

Clay Aiken in Afghanistan:
"There is so much more that needs to be done"

It's not that fun being wrong.

Fortunately for me, I don't have to do it very often! HA HA!

Okay... I'm kidding. I spend plenty of my time on the side of inaccuracy. But, few of my misdirections or misconceptions could possibly compare to how far off of the mark I was in my assumptions about my trip to Afghanistan.

I doubt it would come as a surprise that my mother was none too thrilled when I told her I would be traveling with UNICEF to a country that many consider to be one of the most dangerous in the world for Americans. My brother had just returned from his second tour as a U.S. Marine in Iraq when I let my mother know, so her blood pressure probably stayed high even after my return. I wasn't so at ease about it myself. Hostage takings, suicide bombings, and insurgent attacks are all seemingly daily occurrences in many parts of the country. At least that's what we see on TV and read in papers and magazines.

I couldn't have been more wrong about Afghanistan. And I couldn't have been farther off target about the Afghan people. With the exception of maybe my grandparent's house, I have never felt more welcomed. The Afghan people are some of the most gracious and inviting people on Earth.

Read more of Clay's blog in UNICEF's Fieldnotes here:

FIELDNOTES

Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 05:37:00 PM »

Clay appealed to the Claynation and the world to raise $100,000 in 10 days for educational needs of children in Afghanistan.

By Day 7 $139,778.60 had been raised.

CLAY'S $100,000 CHALLENGE

Go here to donate:

DONATIONS FOR AFGHANISTAN

HavinaClayAffair
Enthusiastic

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 05:48:02 PM »

How about a video?

http://www.unicef.org/video/vodcast/7042_afghanclayaiken.mp4

Lora
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 10:48:37 PM »

On Friday April 20, Clay appeared on Entertainment Tonight to talk about his UNICEF trip to Afghanistan.

In an exclusive ET interview, CLAY AIKEN shows his support for fallen "Idol" SANJAYA MALAKAR, saying, "I rooted for him. I was disappointed when he got cut."

Sanjaya's attention-grabbing tactic of dramatically changing his hairstyle every week proved to be a good move for the controversial contestant, who managed enough votes to make it into the final seven.

"Good for him," Clay tells our JANN CARL. "He carved a niche for himself."

He adds that Sanjaya's bold style choices got his respect.

"Anybody who is comfortable enough to go in front of millions of people on TV with a Mohawk has my vote," he says.

The 28-year-old North Carolina native has gone a long way since his days at "American Idol" -- literally! He just returned from Afghanistan as part of his work as a goodwill ambassador for UNICEF.

But even though he grew out a beard during his trip, the facial hair did little to disguise his famous face.

"Some of the girls giggled just a little bit," he says. "But they're very shy. Everybody who we met were just really hospitable and totally welcoming."

The trip was not without some drawbacks, however.

"I would be lying if I said that I was not nervous," Clay says. "I was very nervous before I left. I hugged all my family, said goodbye." His stay proved to be an eye-opening experience.

"It was interesting," he says. I was actually in Kabul at the same time DIANE SAWYER was and she was at a hotel less than a mile away from where we were. We were trying to get together for dinner, but we couldn't because she couldn't leave her hotel and I couldn't leave mine [at night]. That's the situation in Kabul."

For more of our Clay Aiken exclusive, watch tonight's ET!

Video at the link - Clay Aiken: ET Exclusive
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 10:50:27 PM »

The video is also now featured on the UNICEF MySpace.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx