gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:34:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 445
Total: 445

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Weekly Roundtable Discussion : Remembering AI2  (Read 4222 times)
woodstock854
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

"I need help!!!"

« on: January 14, 2007, 02:00:46 PM »

AI6 will get underway this Tuesday.  WOW!!!  #6 already!!!!!

Some of you may be excited to watch....others may not.

One thing for sure......OUR AMERICAN IDOL was found in season #2, and most of us agree that there will NEVER be another one quite like "our" Clay.  As has been said....Idol found, game over.   Wink

So as the new season is beginning, let's take a walk down Memory Lane and reminisce as to YOUR favorite memories of AI2.  If you didn't watch AI2, then jump in and tell us how you discovered Clay!!!!  I would love to hear what you all have to say!!!

I did NOT watch AI2 from the very beginning.  I came in a few weeks later.  My daughter had been watching it and had already noticed Clay's talent.  I honestly don't remember the first song I heard.  I do remember hearing Somewhere Out There, which is a song I like very much.  I thought he was GREAT!!!!!  But the week that told me THIS IS A STAR!!!  was when he sang To Love Somebody, by the Bee Gees.  And when Robin Gibb said he had a fantastic voice, and that is EXACTLY how that song should be sung.....I knew we had a winner on our hands.

From that point on, everything was fantastic for me.  I was a voting queen.  Each week got better, and Bridge Over Trouble Water was just the icing on the cake of the whole competition for me.  I played it over and over and over again, almost nightly.  A star was born.  We all knew it.  And we are lucky enough to be a part of it today.

Another favorite moment of mine was one I did not see until I got a DVD of the whole season. That is when Clay sang Don't Let the Sun Come Down on Me.  He NAILED it, and Randy's reaction was priceless.  And when Clay won the last place in the final 12, it was a moment I will never forget.

So....what are your fondest memories of AI2 or when you first discovered Clay?????
_________________________________________________________________________________

Please remember that we are always looking for ideas for the Roundtable discussion.  Just PM your suggestions to any member of our staff. We would like to bring back the WRD now that Clay is no longer touring.  We would love to hear from you. Hug
Woodstock

"There's something about the way I can't take my eyes off you...  There's something about the way your lips invite..."
Julie, jj, Liz, Carol and Janet are our Guardian Angels
"My faith has conquered fear, on my way here."
OCD Support Group Founder
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 02:58:35 PM »

The Night I Became Putty in Clay's Hands
By Meesa

*clears throat*

I had watched AI the first season and was thrilled that Kelly had won, so when I saw ads for Season 2 I was excited. I was still living at home and usually watched my favorite shows in my room. The night Clay's audition aired, I was laying on my bed watching propped up on the guardrail on my elbow (wonderful visual, huh?) when in walks this tall skinny red head wearing glasses. I thought, "Hmmm. Looks like someone I would've been in Madrigals with in high school." He proceded to tell Simon that he was the American Idol. I thought, "This is getting interesting."

Then he opened his mouth.

Out poured the most amazing voice! I fell off the bed and was in between the wall and the bed. (That kinda hurt, but I was so into watching that guy sing I didn't care!) I crawled up the side of the bed and listened/watched the rest of the audition. I was so happy that he made it to Hollywood. After the winning in the Wild Card episode, my friend Jeannie and I looked forward to discussing Clay's performances at work.

I had my favorites : Buttercup, To Love Somebody, Someone Else's Star .... I could keep going, but you get the point.

Clay's charisma and brilliant vocal talent made me love him more and more. I have been a fan since.

The best kind of friend is the one you could sit on a porch with, never saying a word, and walk away feeling like that was the best conversation you've had.
Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
franniek54
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 03:25:17 PM »

My very favorite performance then, and still one of my favorites now is Mack the Knife.  His look and his delivery couldn't have been better.  I still watch it all the time.

And how could you forget the FIRST TIME you heard him sing Unchained Melody, or BOTW, or Solitaire?  Those blew me away!

And the little video where Ruben dressed like a pimp and Clay dressed like Howdy Doody?--Hysterical

When he sang "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" on wild card night I knew he could be a star because that was the best version I had ever heard of that song.  I was just praying he won the wild card slot cuz I wanted to hear what else he could do.

When Simon said, "I like you better with my eyes closed."  I thought it was mean then, but Clay considered it, took it like a man, and has been a better performer ever since.  That's when his onstage presence started to transition from amateurish to professional and sophisticated.

And I don't care what anybody says I liked the red leather jacket! and the hip shake!

Every year from then on I have said to myself, "I'm not gonna watch AI this year cuz it's too time consuming and there'll never be another season like AI2." But I usually end up tuning in halfway thru the season anyway, don't know why.  There hasn't been another contestant yet who touches me the way Clay did and does.  I guess Kelly's good, but just not my cup of tea, same for Chris Doughtry.  And for sure I can't listen to another one of those bad auditions, or watch those people act like clowns just to get noticed.  No, I just prefer my warm memories of Clay, Ruben and Kim on AI2, and watching Clay evolve more than I ever imagined he could or would, and feeling excited to discover what more he can do and how high his star will rise, because I know that over the years the more people that hear and see him the more fans he will have.  I know he will be a legend like Streisand one day if he decides to stick with it.
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 03:42:03 PM »

I watched Season 2 from the very first episode.  Smile  I had not seen any of AI 1, so it was all new and different for me.

When I first saw Clay audition, I was hooked right away because he reminded me of my "geek" nephew who also does alot of singing. Laughing
I started cheering for him from the start.  I was heartbroken when he didn't make it through Group 2 and thrilled when he won the Wild Card.

But, when he sang "Somewhere Out There", I became an invested Clay fan.  I find it interesting that, even 3 years later, I am still hooked. Wink I enjoyed what Simon and Gladys Knight said to Clay after this song. 

I really enjoyed BOTW, Mack the Knife, Unchained Melody and To Love Somebody, too.  Clapping

Clay "is" the "News"
When Words Fail--Let Music Speak
stargazer
Claymaniac

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 04:14:35 PM »

How I got hooked.

My adult son and daughter started watching AI1 and although we live miles apart  they each would call me and we would discuss the evenings performances. We were all rooting for Kelly. Thought she was the most consistent.

So, when AI2 started I began watching  with the auditions. When Clay auditioned I was sold. GEEK,GEEK,GEEK . But wow what a voice. So I watched and rooted and was sad when he didn't make the cut , but glad when he was the wild Card. My kids and I argued through the season. Clay versus Ruben . Yea Clay was a better singer, but Ruben's style was more to their liking.  Each song had its merits, but watching his transformation from Geek to Cute and the growth in his performance ability was happy making.

Next , I realized what a great  person he was. Principled , Committed, Loving, Kind, etc. I was hooked.

That smile was infectious, and I smiled every time they talked about his winking, which I am certain is a condition called ptosis( drooping eye lid)/ but it worked.

But of course his voice was like magic. Favorite performance... BOTW. MTK, LMUB, SES.  But actually I just am still amazed by the voice, And The Child is now a man and HOT< HOT< HOT.

LIKE FINE WINE CLAY IMPROVES WITH AGE
BEAUTIFUL INSIDE AND OUT
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 05:03:54 PM »

Great subject Woody!

I started watching AI towards the end of Season 1 and got hooked.

When season 2 aired I watched it right from the beginning.

People I used to work with still remember me going into work the day after Clay's audition saying, "You've got to see this guy!!!"

It was my first year in my apartment and I remember sitting here in my computer chair watching. Clay strutted out onto that audition stage and I stopped what I was doing and perked up, thinking oh he looks interesting. He opened his mouth and spoke wtih confidence despite the fact that you could already tell what Simon and Randy were thinking about him.

Then he opened his mouth and out came Always and Forever.

That my friends was it for me. I sat slack jawed as that voice washed over me.

I remember thinking, no way, no way, where did that voice come from.

When he got sent home I was devastated but I had a feeling he'd be called back for the wild card show. Then when the three judges announced who was next. I was terrified. They hadn't mentioned Clay!

Then the audience favorite was picked... it was Clay!

I screamed so loudly the cats scattered.

My favorite performances? I'd have to say that I loved Mack the Knife too. It's still one of my favorites.

That and yes, Bridge Over Troubled waters. I'll never, ever forget that.

I still get chills when I watch it.

And, to me the game is over. I root for different contestants each year but nobody has ever, ever thrilled me the way Clay did and still does!

AI Forum Moderator
Yup, I think about Clay probably about as often as men think about sex.
"Half my butt is mac & cheese and the other half is Krispy Kreme..." Clay Aiken
Carpe Clayum-Seize the Clay
GWENN
Enthusiastic

HE'S KILLING ME!!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 07:19:24 PM »

I HAD NEVER HEARD OF AI.  MY DAUGHTER WAS AT COLLEGE AND ASKED ME TO TAPE IT SINCE SHE WAS STUDYING FOR FINALS AND COULD NOT SEE IT.  SHE WAS COMING HOME FOR THE END OF SEMESTER.  (THE U OF PITTSBURGH GOT OUT EARLY.)  I TAPED IT HAVING NO IDEA WHAT IT WAS.

SHE MADE ME SIT DOWN AND WATCH WITH HER.  SHE TOLD ME I HAD TO HEAR THIS GUY.  I PAID VERY LITTLE ATTENTION.  REALITY SHOWS ARE ANNOYING TO ME.  BUT THE VOICE HIT ME EVEN THOUGH I WASN'T PAYING ATTENTION.  HOWEVER, I LIKED RUBEN ALSO.

THEN CAME THE FINALE.  I LOVED TITN.  BUT BOTW JUST BLEW ME AWAY.  I AM A HUGE S & G FAN.  BUT I THOUGHT CLAY'S VERSION WAS BETTER.  HE JUST WAS TOO MUCH.  I VOTED FOR THE FIRST TIME.  IT WAS SOOOOO HARD TO GET THROUGH BUT ERICA AND I GOT THROUGH A COUPLE OF TIMES.

I WAS VERY UPSET WHEN CLAY DIDN'T WIN, BUT IT WASN'T A DEVASTATION OR ANYTHING. 

BY ACCIDENT I SAW CLAY ON OPRAH AND JUST LOVED HIS PERSONALITY.  LOVED HIM.  ERICA TAPED ALL OF THE SONGS SHE COULD FIND FOR ME ON THE INTERNET. 

I FELL PERMANENTLY IN LOVE ON OCT. 9---PRIMETIME.  HOPELESSLY AND COMPLETELY.  I KNEW HE WAS A STAR OF MAJOR MAGNITUDE.

THE REST IS HISTORY.

GWENN

HIS VOICE WRAPS AROUND MY HEART.
KEEPER OF CLAY'S CHARM
ALWAYS AND FOREVER
fhmmany2
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

Clay's Magazine Maniac

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 08:35:21 PM »

I started watching AI1 from the beginning, but I can't take  watching the poor fools that allow Idol to disgrace them on camera. I went back to AI1 after the finalists were chosen. I was Kelly all the way, and voted for her.  The same with AI2 - I could not take watching the early auditions, so I did not start watching until after the Wild Cards were chosen - in fact, I did not know for a long time that Clay had been kicked off  early and only came back as a Wild Card. But once I started watching AI2 again, I found Clay immediately. I remember calling my husband in to see Clay - I remember saying "just listen to how this kid can sing!"  Laughing

My favorite Idol appearance of all time for Clay will always be "Grease" - not because of how he sounded, or not even because it was his best song (I think those are "To Love Somebody" and "Bridge Over Troubled Waters"). I love "Grease" because it was the first time that Clay felt confident enough about himself to try something really new - to step outside his comfort zone. I knew, as I watched him sing "Grease" that I was watching a Star (and I was SO right!  lmao ) I still think that AI2 was the best season of American Idol - the 10 finalists were all so talented - it makes me mad to this day that the Judges say every year that "this is the best year".  Hey - look back at Season 2, Judges!

I have a DVD of Season 2, of course (doesn't everybody?!), and I watch it often - it's like looking back at my own children's' baby pictures!  Laughing

I will watch AI again this year - after the finalists are chosen - but I no longer vote, because I do not think that I should vote unless I plan to support someone and buy their Cd's. And for me ' "Game Over - Idol Found!!!!"

Memories of Julie, jj, Liz, Carol, Janet, and Debi Make Me Smile - I Was Lucky To Have Known Them!
I Met Clay In Atlanta On 8/2/05 - Life Is Good!
ann
UltimateFan

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 10:06:38 AM »

Woody - What a great topic!

Meesa - Loved your story Huggles & I think what is most amazing is how everyone remembers so clearly.

I watched AI I at the end, even tho' hubby and the kids had been watching the whole season. I think it was the nite they sang the 40s' songs. I, too, was glad that Kelly won. Bought a Moment Like This for my daughter, who remains a Kelly fan.

When AI II started, I watched from the beginning - and I'll freely admit - when Clay came out, I thought - this is gonna be sooooo bad. . . . And then the VOX - WHERE DID THAT COME FROM???? That guy can SING.
And there he was all surprised & relieved about making it through.

Then the Journey song and the loss with Ruben and Kimberly making it through. Why did he have to be in THAT group????

Then the wild card - DLTSGDOM! Changed the look - Changed the hair, but that VOICE. There was no denying that voice. Hands down, the best of the night.
And when the judges were each picking their favorites, I thought there's no way he can lose this &, sure enough, he didn't, though he looked very concerned at the end.

For the rest of the show, my church council meetings were on Tuesdays. I'd make hubby tape for me in case I didn't get home before Clay sang. Every Tuesday, I'd be nervous. What was the genre? What would he sing? Would he mess up the words or miss a note , but every time, I'd be blown away and impressed. I'd vote and vote and vote and vote. Heck, I'd even make my kids vote.

And really, I can't think of a favorite song from AI II because I love them all; yes, even Vincent. 
Mary
Claymaniac

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 12:46:53 PM »

I only watched the last 2 or 3 weeks of AI1 and didn't really care who won.

I was shocked when AI2 started thinking that I was watching The Gong Show. I was dusting bookcases next to the TV when Clay said that he was the next American Idol. I backed up enough to see who was saying that. I was not impressed and went back to dusting. When he started to sing I backed up again and was blown away as I sat on the coffee table. It was love at second sight.

I have to admit that I thought that Frenchie Davis would win but I loved Clay's voice.

My son was hoping for a Ruben win but his girlfriend at the time wanted Clay to win. We had such fun times discussing the show. I like his girlfriends. Current one likes Clay!

Every week the theme song had my heart pumping fast as I waited for him to sing and as I waited for the results. No one else has captured my heart the way he did.

I'll watch tomorrow night and hope for another to root for but my heart is already spoken for. I'll try to be open minded but I think that the only Idol has already been found.
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 10:03:31 PM »

Awww!  I love this thread.

I didn't watch AI1.  I wasn't watching AI2 either, because I had a class on Tuesday nights.  And it's true, I wasn't interested anyway.  It wasn't my thang, if you know what I mean.  One day, I got an email from a friend in Vancouver, asking me if I knew Clay Aiken. 

No.  Why?

She told me he was on American Idol, and he was from Raleigh!  After informing her that unfortunately, I was not acquainted with everyone who lived in Raleigh, I promised her I would tune in, since she was so giddy and what not.  Having satellite TV made it possible for me to watch the west coast feed at 11 pm ET, so I came home from class the next week and tuned in at 11 pm.

It was Motown night.  Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch night.  Cute guy, killer voice.  Well, I was intrigued.

So I watched again the next week, but I decided to check the Net between class and the west coast feed.  I found a forum called FORT (Fans of Reality TV.)  I also found the Idol forum at TWOP (Television Without Pity.) I would spoil myself silly before the show came on so I already knew who said what, what he sang, how he looked, how he did and the whole nine yards.  bigsmile

It kept me from being...nervous.  Anyway, Mr P and I both watched every week after that, and voted our fingers off.  I was at the RBC Center the night of the anomaly, and as soon as I saw that pink dressing room, I knew the inevitable. But that's another story.

Anyhoooo....topic.  My favorite performance was Buttahcup!  I think most of you already know that.

It was just fun somehow.  When he stepped off the ramp and hit that first flawless note I knew he was going to nail it.  Neil Sedaka said Clay sang like Andre Agassi played tennis!  Paula wanted to give him a hug.  Me too.  He was cute, and sexy, and flirty and he even snarked on Simon at the end. Yeah! 

See what I mean!!! OMG!!!!

Hee!

LadyC
Adults
Enthusiastic

I heart the tabloid media.

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 12:12:16 PM »

Like Pamela, I didn't watch AI1 either.  And I hadn't watched the beginning of AI2. 

I caught bits and pieces of it because I was working nights at the hospital, and there were always a few patients watching to see how "that little blonde from Bountiful" was doing.  (Carmen Rasmusen)  Having met her father in business a couple times before, I was curious to see her.

One night I was treating a patient and waiting for Carmen when this tall, lanky, fuzzy-headed guy took the stage and belted out Elton John's Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me.

And I just kinda did this:   
                                         Jaw drop!

I fell in love with him right then and there.  And can't tell you to this day if Carmen even sang that night.   Laughing

My favorite performance is kind of an odd choice because it wasn't his best one.  It wasn't his most challenging one.  It wasn't the most powerful one.  But I LOVE it.

It's To Love Somebody - and the way he bends his knees and closes his eyes when he belts out the glory note at the end.  I get chills every time I watch it, still.

Aunt Em,
Hate you.  Hate Kansas.  Taking the dog.
~Dorothy

Claygirl
SuperFan

Always have faith, and there will be a way.

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 05:28:17 AM »

I didn't watch AI1 either, and wasn't interested in AI2, but there was nothing else on that night, so I turned it on and wasn't paying much attention, doing something at my kitchen table, when Clay walked in for his audition. The moment I heard his voice I was in love, but I didn't realize it at the time, I thought he had a beautiful voice, and wondered why my heart had started to race, but didn't think I would become such a devoted fan. I was devastated when he was cut and thought that was the last I'd see of him. But I continued to watch and was so excited when I saw the preview for the wildcard show and they said Clay was coming back! I decided I was going to do everything I could to get him into the top 12, and I voted like crazy, when he made it I jumped right out of my chair! Every week I found I didn't really care about the others and was just watching for Clay, everytime he'd sing my heart would start racing again, and I voted everytime. Around Grease, my favorite performance, my mother noticed I kept talking about him, she asked, "What's with this guy?" And I said I didn't know but I couldn't stop thinking about him, I love music, but I'd never cared about a performer this much before. Then everything that happened after that made me love him even more, every interview, every album, every picture, I went from liking Clay-the American Idol contestant, to loving Clay Aiken the man. I was so worried when he didn't win that he would fade away like Justin Guarini had before, that I just sat there and cried during the finale, and now I look back, 4 concerts, numerous Cd's, several hundred pictures, multiple message boards, and tapes filled with interviews later, and can't believe this amazing journey started just because I was bored and turned on AI2 4 years ago, I never would've believed I'd become such a devoted fan, or care so deeply about someone I'll probably never meet, but I wouldn't take back a single moment. And I hope there's many, many more years of magic still to come.  Clapping bigsmile ~Kelly~

Angel Baby Dust ~Kelly~ Baby Dust
Love! I love Clay Aiken! Music heartbeat claymaniacs rocks
Hearing Clay's voice, quiets the ones in my head. Wink
(Clay's biggest fan and David Cook "Word Nerd" #2894!) :heartburst
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx