gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:53:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 165
Total: 165

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Article: This Idol Not Achin For Work  (Read 2130 times)
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« on: December 09, 2006, 09:59:55 AM »

This ‘Idol’ not achin’ for work
Clay Aiken takes time to talk with Beep about being a continuing success

Lauren Heist
Beep Staff Writer
Posted Saturday, December 09, 2006

It’s not bad to be second best, especially when you’re Clay Aiken.

He may not have won the grand title of winner of the second season of “American Idol,” but that’s not stopping Aiken from commanding huge audiences around the country a full three years after his reign on the show.

This former dorky-looking bean pole from North Carolina proved he can sell a lot of records by using his big voice and putting lots of emotion into his songs. His first single, “This Is the Night,” shot to No. 1 on the Billboard charts, selling more than 392,000 copies in its first week. He’s since come out with three albums: “Measure of a Man,” “Merry Christmas With Love” and his most recent, “A Thousand Different Ways,” which came out in September.

But Aiken’s voice isn’t the only thing getting him noticed these days. He became the subject of a celebrity ruckus recently when he put his hand over Kelly Ripa’s mouth when he was filling in as co-host of “Live with Regis and Kelly.” Ripa exclaimed that she didn’t “know where that hand has been,” prompting Rosie O’Donnell to label Ripa’s comments homophobic, even though Aiken has never said he is gay.

Aiken was in town last week when he performed a Christmas show at the Genesee Theater in Waukegan on Dec. 2 and at the Star Plaza Theatre in Merrillville, Ind., a day later, we had a chance to chat with the singer about the incident, his post-“Idol” success and what he wants for Christmas.

Beep: So, I wanted to ask you about the whole Kelly Ripa thing.

Aiken: Why do you have to ask it? Do people actually think that that matters?

Beep: How did it make you feel? Were you surprised by it?

Aiken: Oh gosh, yeah. I was very surprised. I had no idea I was such a big celebrity. Who knew it would, that would,  cause such a controversy?

Beep: Have a lot of people been asking you about it?

Aiken: When I was flying back home from L.A. last week I had about five people stop and ask me if I would take a picture with them with my hand over their mouth.

Beep: So tell me a little bit about your latest album.

Aiken: It was really Clive Davis’ idea to do an album. He wanted to do an album that was a collection of love songs from the past 30 years or so … my favorite love songs. So he and myself … (we) worked together to select the songs that we felt were the best ones that fit me the best.

Beep: Your most recent album is covers of other people’s songs. Who would you want to cover your songs?

Aiken: Let’s see. It would have to be someone who I think is good but not so good that they’d do it better than me. That’s a tough question. I don’t know. I know a lot of people who I think are good. But you know I don’t really … know a lot of people who are true artists who can create something new, who are really artists who can really create something rather than just reinterpret … maybe someone like John Mayer or Alicia Keys.

Beep: Where do you see your career going in the future? What kind of stuff would you like to do?

Aiken: You know, I’ve always tried to be open to things. I didn’t expect to be where I am now, much less if I could guess where I would be tomorrow. It’s kind of like let go and let God. … There are a lot of things I’d like to do. I do like the TV aspect of what I do and that side of the job, so if more opportunities came my way that way (that would be good). I’ve always wanted to be a talk show host, so if that opportunity came along I’d jump and grab it. But, you know, I try to be open to different possibilities. I don’t know, maybe tomorrow somebody will ask me to do a movie. I don’t know. But who knows? If they do, I want to be open to it.

Beep: Have you ever considered going on Broadway?

Aiken: You know I’ve always enjoyed that type of thing. I always think it’s a compliment when people say I should be on Broadway because those people are singers who can just shell out a great performance eight times a week and I only do four shows a week. So I take it as a compliment because I think they’re great singers, but you know, if something comes my way, the right opportunity at the right time, I’d be up to it.

Beep: What’s the biggest change you’ve experienced since you became famous and since “American Idol”?

Aiken: I don’t think I could come up with just one thing that’s changed. I mean, literally, with the exception of — I was going to say my eyes, but I got contacts, so that’s not even the same — I can’t think of much that’s the same! I got the same feet. My feet are still big. I mean, my whole life has changed. I think obviously the biggest change is there’s no such thing as anonymity any more. I mean, I put my hand over Kelly Ripa’s mouth and it becomes a national story for three days. I mean that, to me, is the funniest thing I’ve ever heard of in my life, that anybody would care about that kind of thing.

Beep: Are there any people from your high school or your hometown that used to think you were a big dork and now want to be your best friend?

Aiken: I don’t think so. The people who used to pick on me in high school and middle school used to pick on me so much that they couldn’t show their face to me now. It wasn’t mild. I’ve only stayed in touch with two or three people from high school, that’s it. The people I’ve stayed in touch with have pretty much always been friends of mine. So it’s interesting, I’ve never really had that problem.

Beep: Are you friends with any of the people who’ve been on “American Idol,” your season or other seasons?

Aiken: It’s not really a fraternity so much. But if we have a chance to cross paths and meet each other, we all have that synergy. We all have that camaraderie because we do have similar experiences. I don’t really stay in touch with many with the exception of Kim Locke, who was my roommate for a year … and Ruben (Studdard), of course, I stay in touch with. And I do stay in touch with Kelly because we went on tour together. The other ones, you know, if you cross somebody’s path, you know, we always have something to talk about. I mean, think about it — there have been four seasons, so 12 each, there are really only not even 48 people in the world who have the same experiences that we have.

Beep: Do you watch “American Idol” now that you’re not on it?

Aiken: I catch it every once in a while.

Beep: Do you have any favorite TV shows that you watch?

Aiken: I’m a huge “Jericho” fan on CBS. That show is awesome. The finale’s coming on tonight and I’m so excited.

Beep: What do you want for Christmas? Do you have anything on your list?

Aiken: Well, my (28th) birthday’s tomorrow…

Beep: Oh, happy birthday!

Aiken: … and a lot of people have said they went shopping for me and they just were amazed that I am the hardest person to shop for. Being creative and trying to think of a fun event to do is probably the best.

©Daily Herald
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx