gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:44:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 158
Total: 158

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Weekly Roundtable Discussion - How do you Explain it?  (Read 5648 times)
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« on: November 12, 2006, 07:47:02 AM »

Good Morning Everyone!

I know I'm a bit late starting the thread today but Sunday's are the only day of the week I get to sleep late.  bigsmile

Today I wanted to pose a question to everyone.

How do you explain it to people when they question why you're a Clay fan?

I get asked the question all the time and I've found that it's difficult to put into words exactly what being a Clay fan means.

It's a different experience from belonging to other fan groups. The only one that ever came close to the experience for me was when I was a member of the Ingo Rademacher fan club.

So how do you do it?

How do you express to people why you love Clay?

AI Forum Moderator
Yup, I think about Clay probably about as often as men think about sex.
"Half my butt is mac & cheese and the other half is Krispy Kreme..." Clay Aiken
Carpe Clayum-Seize the Clay
Marilyn
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

THE EPITOME OF DECORUM

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 08:09:15 AM »

I usually say I like the music- but then say its much more than that. I started following Clays career and realized that this man had so much to give the world. I mention BAF, UNICEF, Banda Aceh, Ronald McDonald, Toys for tots, and various other endeavors. I mention how good Clay is to the handicapped at his concerts and appearances. I tell how much Clay wants to do for children.

Then I also say how much being a Clay fan means- meeting people all over the country, sharing experiences, raising money for different causes near and dear to his heart, building lasting friendships with wonderful, generous people.

I say how genuine Clay is, how although he is human and has his various foibles, his generous heart and compassionate nature far outweigh any little quirks or such that he may have.

I also divulge how good Clay is to the fans, how indisputably grateful he is for our continue support, and how he never fails to mention that to any of the interviewers who disparage or joke about our loyalty

I disclose how entertaining he is in concert, how his magnetism reaches out to the crowd, often including the crowd in conversation, dancing, and singing.  And how generous he is to his backup singers, revealing their talents by letting them sing solo on songs.

And finally- the voice is inarguably one of the best in the business, and I cannot keep myself from listening to the various nuances, the tones, the groans (well I dont particularly mention those, but you know what I mean). Clay can take any song and make it truly enjoyable to listen to.

I love this man

ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 11:33:54 AM »

Well said Marilyn, well said!  Not Worthy

clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 11:37:15 AM »

Great voice--

Great humanitarian--

Winning personality--

Grace under fire--  

Stays true to his beliefs--

The "X" factor--  Thud!

I think that "X" factor is what most of us here see.  But, it is probably the hardest aspect to explain to non-fans.  He touches us all, and even among us, in different ways.  I think of it as his heart and soul.  And it touches my heart.

Clay "is" the "News"
When Words Fail--Let Music Speak
Tessie
Claymaniac

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 12:06:50 PM »

He sings good and he is cute.
GWENN
Enthusiastic

HE'S KILLING ME!!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 12:08:12 PM »

I HAVE TRIED MANY TIMES TO EXPLAIN IT, BUT I CAN'T.  I AM NOT SURE I UNDERSTAND IT ALL MYSELF.  MY SIGGY SAYS THAT HIS VOICE WRAPS AROUND MY HEART.  THAT IS PART OF IT.  BUT IT IS ONLY PART.  HE MAKES ME FEEL THINGS I HAVEN'T FELT IN A LONG TIME.  HE REPRESENTS WHAT I WISH MORE PEOPLE WERE LIKE IN THEIR SOULS.  HE IS NOT PERFECT, BUT HE CARES ABOUT WHAT IS IMPORTANT IN LIFE AND REMINDS ME OF THAT.

SO, HE SINGS LIKE NO ONE ELSE.  HIS HEART IS HUGE AND GIVING.

BUT LETS NEVER FORGET THAT HE IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOT.  Flame Flame Flame I MEAN, AS MAGNANIMOUS AS WE MAY WANT TO BE, HE IS SEXY AS HELL.  (I MAY BE 57, BUT I AIN'T DEAD YET. bigsmile) Thud! Thud! Thud!

GWENN

HIS VOICE WRAPS AROUND MY HEART.
KEEPER OF CLAY'S CHARM
ALWAYS AND FOREVER
LadyC
Adults
Enthusiastic

I heart the tabloid media.

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 01:27:48 PM »

I generally just say, "Why am I a fan?  I think the real question here is: Why AREN'T YOU a fan?  Huh?  You freakin' MORON!?!?"   

Then later when I get out of jail and work out those assault and battery charges, I try to explain to them the way Clay looks in a nice pair of jeans.

Oh, and I usually throw something in about how he can sing a note or two.
   Laughing

Aunt Em,
Hate you.  Hate Kansas.  Taking the dog.
~Dorothy

Marilyn
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

THE EPITOME OF DECORUM

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 02:51:54 PM »

He sings good and he is cute.

lmao lmao

ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!
woodstock854
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

"I need help!!!"

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 06:23:29 PM »

Good topic, Susy!!!  Clapping

I HAVE TRIED MANY TIMES TO EXPLAIN IT, BUT I CAN'T.  I AM NOT SURE I UNDERSTAND IT ALL MYSELF.  MY SIGGY SAYS THAT HIS VOICE WRAPS AROUND MY HEART.  THAT IS PART OF IT.  BUT IT IS ONLY PART.  HE MAKES ME FEEL THINGS I HAVEN'T FELT IN A LONG TIME.  HE REPRESENTS WHAT I WISH MORE PEOPLE WERE LIKE IN THEIR SOULS.  HE IS NOT PERFECT, BUT HE CARES ABOUT WHAT IS IMPORTANT IN LIFE AND REMINDS ME OF THAT.

SO, HE SINGS LIKE NO ONE ELSE.  HIS HEART IS HUGE AND GIVING.

BUT LETS NEVER FORGET THAT HE IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOT.  Flame Flame Flame I MEAN, AS MAGNANIMOUS AS WE MAY WANT TO BE, HE IS SEXY AS HELL.  (I MAY BE 57, BUT I AIN'T DEAD YET. bigsmile) Thud! Thud! Thud!

GWENN

I think that says it all!!!

I don't even care to explain it most of the time.  I've never experienced a fandom like this, and I am enjoying the ride immensely.  I really don't care what anyone else thinks.  They are missing out on so much if they are not a Clay fan, IMO.

And Kris, we keep some bail money on the OCD "just in case" some of us get a little out of hand at a Clay concert....or something like that.  Let us know if we can ever help you out.   Wink Laughing
Woodstock

"There's something about the way I can't take my eyes off you...  There's something about the way your lips invite..."
Julie, jj, Liz, Carol and Janet are our Guardian Angels
"My faith has conquered fear, on my way here."
OCD Support Group Founder
WilsonClaymate
UltimateFan

The way you make me feel

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 06:25:02 PM »

MARILYN AND GWENN -- YOU SUMMED IT UP BETTER THAN I COULD.    Clapping     Clapping

GWENN, I'M OLDER THAN YOU ARE AND I'M NOT DEAD YET EITHER.    bigsmile

DEANNA, HE DOES INDEED HAVE THE "X" FACTOR

HE MAKES ME HAPPY AND GIVES ME SOMETHING TO LOOK FORWARD TO OTHER THAN JUST GOING TO WORK EVERYDAY.  WE HAVE A GOOD TIME AND WE HAVE MADE A LOT OF FRIENDS AND I SURE NEVER EXPECTED TO BE IN THIS POSITION BUT I AM SO GLAD I AM.

"For me he's not a hobby, he's not an obsession, he's a joy, something that makes me happy..."      ~cc777

I couldn't have said it better myself
Barbara
wisconsinmaniac
Enthusiastic

Filling Every Empty Space With Clay

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 09:13:48 PM »

Susy - Great topic! 

The responses are so eloquent.  They mirror how so many of us feel.

I will only add that I feel privileged to be a Clay Aiken fan.  Millions and millions of people have had the opportunity to be his fans, but we (those of us who love him) are the lucky ones!

We heard him and got to know more about him!  We got it! Clapping 

He is a gift that keeps on giving.  As a bonus  . . . we have made friends with others who also treasure the same gift!

It's hard to explain it because it is magic!   And very very special!   blush

How lucky we are to understand and appreciate the true beauty of Clay Aiken and to follow him on his journey as he "makes a difference"!
Boomer Aries
Clayamateur

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 11:05:03 PM »

I've loved reading all of your responses!!

Let's see -- why do I love Clay?  He's a wonderful human being and he sings beautifully!  Clay's voice is so pure and expressive -- just a joy to listen to!
stargazer
Claymaniac

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 03:59:50 AM »

FOR ME IT STARTED WITH THE PURE  GREAT VOICE.

Then came the want to mother him and he is sweet.

Next it became evident that he was a person with heart and ethics.

Along somewhere I noticed he is just a great role model and friend to children.

Low and behold  I realized he was just plain good and there is just not enough good in our society anymore.

And then I met his fans through the boards  and realized they were good people too.

SO I tell people for me this fandom and Clay represents what as a society we should strive for. Kindness, quality, ethical, involved, loving, nurturing, funny, and committed plus he has a great voice.

LIKE FINE WINE CLAY IMPROVES WITH AGE
BEAUTIFUL INSIDE AND OUT
InAweOfClay
UltimateFan

Forever a Fan

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2006, 09:31:58 AM »

Great topic.  It's obvious we all feel the same, but describe it differently. Here's what happens whenever someone looks at me oddly when I (or my hubby) bring up my Clay love, and the words start rolling out.  blush

First, of course, it's the voice. Always the voice. No matter what mood you're in, you can find some music or videos to wrap yourself in.

He's very funny. He is even better on stage. His live concerts are outstanding.

Then, I have to remind people he was a special-ed teacher, and now he's a pop star!!! WHAT?!?!?

He's not like any other singer out there. You have to keep up with him because you never know what he's up to otherwise. (He doesn't spend his time the same way other pop stars you see on the entertainment shows.)

He's an Ambassador for UNICEF and has been to Uganda and other places. And he's on a presidential committee for people with intellectual disabilities.

He has a foundation that he is actually involved in that is working to create environments for children with and without disabilities to work together...and to actually encourage the children with disabilities to help others. Gee, what a concept!

Then you might find him at a fashion show.  lmao

For us, there's the fun of keeping track of CD sales and ticket sales and what magazines he's in and what tv shows he's on.

The bonus to being a fan is meeting all the wonderful people Clay attracts.

If they're still listening at this point,   Laughing  they hear about all the fun we have with people we would never have met without him and with whom we have an immediate and lasting relationship.
ClayHeart
Claymaniac

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2006, 11:27:31 AM »

I tell whoever asks that Clay has a wonderful voice, he's a wonderful person, and I appreciate the fact that he is a young man with integrity.  I usally don't go into the fact that he makes this 54-year-old woman  Thud!.  How can you explain it when you don't understand youreslf why a definite non-groupy type who survived the prime rock years without going ga-ga over any entertainer would be so taken with OMC.   scratch 
PHILLYLUVSCLAY
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2006, 11:33:25 AM »

I tell whoever asks that Clay has a wonderful voice, he's a wonderful person, and I appreciate the fact that he is a young man with integrity.  I usally don't go into the fact that he makes this 54-year-old woman  Thud!.  How can you explain it when you don't understand youreslf why a definite non-groupy type who survived the prime rock years without going ga-ga over any entertainer would be so taken with OMC.   scratch 

OKAY, GOING TO SAY THIS.... CLAY AIKEN BROUGHT BACK TRUE ROMANCE TO MUSIC AGAIN.. THAT'S WHY I GO "GAH-GAH' EVERYTIME I HEAR HIM... NO FOUL LANGUAGE OR HAVING WOMEN BEING SEX OBJECTS IN HIS SONGS.. HE GIVES RESPECT TO MUSIC ONCE MORE.. SO WHAT'S SO WRONG WITH THAT?
LadyC
Adults
Enthusiastic

I heart the tabloid media.

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2006, 01:03:05 PM »

OKAY, GOING TO SAY THIS.... CLAY AIKEN BROUGHT BACK TRUE ROMANCE TO MUSIC AGAIN.. THAT'S WHY I GO "GAH-GAH' EVERYTIME I HEAR HIM... NO FOUL LANGUAGE OR HAVING WOMEN BEING SEX OBJECTS IN HIS SONGS.. HE GIVES RESPECT TO MUSIC ONCE MORE.. SO WHAT'S SO WRONG WITH THAT?

Not one darn thing that I can think of!    Clapping

And Kris, we keep some bail money on the OCD "just in case" some of us get a little out of hand at a Clay concert....or something like that.  Let us know if we can ever help you out.   Wink Laughing
Woodstock

Noted.  Thank you, Woody.  And the wonderful members of the OCD.  I may need to take you up on that one day.    ROFLMAO

GWENN, I'M OLDER THAN YOU ARE AND I'M NOT DEAD YET EITHER.    bigsmile

OFFICIAL CLAYMANIACS ANNOUNCEMENT:  GWENN AND WILSONCLAYMATE ARE NOT DEAD.  I REPEAT, THEY ARE NOT DEAD.   

Seriously though, I am also a fan because I love how Clay is always striving to improve himself and the world around him in some way.  He's always trying to do better.  That's amazing to me.

Aunt Em,
Hate you.  Hate Kansas.  Taking the dog.
~Dorothy

GWENN
Enthusiastic

HE'S KILLING ME!!!!!!

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2006, 01:58:16 PM »

OFFICIAL CLAYMANIACS ANNOUNCEMENT:  GWENN AND WILSONCLAYMATE ARE NOT DEAD.  I REPEAT, THEY ARE NOT DEAD.   

THANK YOU, KRIS.   Clapping bigsmile

GWENN

HIS VOICE WRAPS AROUND MY HEART.
KEEPER OF CLAY'S CHARM
ALWAYS AND FOREVER
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx