gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:15:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 421
Total: 421

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AIKEN NEWS NETWORK OCTOBER 24  (Read 6178 times)
lorraine
Enthusiastic

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2006, 07:13:11 AM »

Clay Aiken: Music of the Heart
by Cindy Wagner (2006/10/24)

Clay Aiken once said, "Perfection takes time, honey!" So after the long wait for his follow-up to "Measure of a Man," did "A Thousand Different Ways" deliver perfection?

All I can say is that I love it; I'll let the music experts debate its perfection. For me, a CD of love songs is about the heart, and perfection or imperfection is immaterial.

What matters to me is whether or not Clay's voice on these songs touches me. At least two touched me from the very first chords: Everything I Have and Lover All Alone (which is not technically on the CD but is available if you download the album from iTunes).

Other songs on the album are taking their time wrapping themselves around my heart, but I know they are doing so. In the mornings when I slowly ease from sleep to consciousness, it is always to the tune of a different Clay song. One day it may be Lonely No More that awakens with me; another morning it's Broken Wings or When I See You Smile.

Throughout the day, Clay's music provides the soundtrack of my subconscious. The voice soars through my mind and bestows harmony on my daily chaos.

Fans told Clay's executive producer, Jaymes Foster, that they wanted "more Clay" on the new album. That is, they wanted his voice showcased and his spirit to shine.

"More Clay" may not have been possible with a covers-heavy song selection, but Clay succeeded in imprinting them with his distinctive phrasing. He's got the lungs to wail the glory notes when needed, but also the superior breath control required to convey the tenderness in Here You Come Again and Everything I Have.

This begs the question of whether we really are getting "more Clay" with "A Thousand Different Ways." Those expecting more rock-star Clay, as we saw on the Jukebox Tour with songs like Back for More, might be disappointed. Those who wanted to hear only Clay's pure, unobstructed voice might object to its disappearing into the background vocals or orchestration or anything else the engineers mixed in.

I certainly got my "more Clay" with Everything I Have and Lover All Alone, both originals rather than covers. On Lover All Alone, Clay served as lyricist, and since his other writing credit is for Lonely No More, it might be safe to assume that loneliness is a theme close to his own heart and that he is sharing his feelings with us.

Everything I Have might be interpreted as a lover's promise to "measure up" - a sequel, perhaps, to "Measure of a Man." Some of my friends have even predicted that it could become a classic wedding or prom song. But I hear it more as a father's (or even a teacher's) promise to a child, and very much in keeping with Clay's expressed love of children. It is the song on which I hear the most love and joy in Clay's voice, just as in his book, "Learning to Sing," where his voice becomes freer when he describes his work as a teacher.

Another thing Clay told his fans while they were "chomping at the bit" for the new CD was to keep an open mind. He could have been referring to the song selection, the arrangements, or the love-theme concept itself, or he could have meant the way the album is being marketed (or not marketed, as some would argue).

Clay is an example of an artist who is largely unheard on the radio but is still quite successful at selling his music - on television, on tour, on the Internet. The approach is built on a cooperative model, not the competitive model that is radio. The promotional partnerships for Clay's CD have included Yahoo!, iTunes, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and K-mart, as well as television guest appearances and (like it or not) a couple of headline-making interviews.

Look no further than the success of The Bubel/Aiken Foundation itself to understand why this "cooperative" model works for Clay. The business model on which BAF was founded is about creating win-win partnerships with like-minded organizations rather than engaging in cut-throat, winner-take-all competition.

This new approach could be part of the "revolution" Clay talked about starting three years ago in his interview with Time magazine. It is a revolution that transcends one artist's struggle to reach his audience.

The success or failure of this CD need not be measured only in data from an industry that doesn't always understand how an artist communicates with his audience. I feel that Clay shared a great deal of himself in "A Thousand Different Ways" - perhaps everything he could, under the circumstances. And I will always want more Clay, perfect or not.
BEAVERSONIDOL
DEANNA - I WAS SO TOUCHED BY THIS REVIEW.  I WAS WAITING FOR THIS FOR SOMETIME AND NOW READING THIS HAS ONLY MADE ME KNOW THAT IT IS OKAY FOR CLAY AND OKAY FOR THE CLAYNATION AS WELL.  THANKS.
NCSandhillsDeb
Adults
SuperFan

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2006, 07:15:30 AM »

Good Morning everyone!!!!

Thanks for all the news and links.

Have a wonderful day.

Debbie

All you need is love.  But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.  Charles M Schulz
lolita
UltimateFan

A Clay fan forever

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2006, 09:05:26 AM »

Good Morning Deanna and friends. wave Love all the articles and links.
Thanks for your hard work Deanna.

Have a great day everyone.

lolita

A true friend is someone who
                                  says nice things behind
                                        your back.

Janet, rest in peace in your new home
HavinaClayAffair
Enthusiastic

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2006, 09:43:59 AM »

My sister just called- DID WE KNOW THIS?

ON CMT FRIDAY NIGHT...website and sister saw it advertised!?

Fri 10.27
8:30 PM
Remind Me
 Foxworthy's Big Night Out Foxworthy's Big Night Out - Ep.9: The Warren Brothers  Brett and Brad Warren's manager (Caldwell) brings in American Idol runner-up Clay Aiken (Oldring) into the studio for a duet with the brothers,...

http://www.cmt.com/shows/schedule/index.jhtml?day=10%2F27%2F06

Is this for REAL??

EDITED TO ADD:

I was at work (Still am) and in a hurry-

Looks like the above is a CAST member (Oldring) PLAYING a spoof of Clay..

Again- I don't have tons of time to check into this..anyone have a moment?

Lora

ILClaymate
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2006, 11:08:38 AM »

Fri 10.27
8:30 PM
Remind Me
 Foxworthy's Big Night Out Foxworthy's Big Night Out - Ep.9: The Warren Brothers  Brett and Brad Warren's manager (Caldwell) brings in American Idol runner-up Clay Aiken (Oldring) into the studio for a duet with the brothers,...

http://www.cmt.com/shows/schedule/index.jhtml?day=10%2F27%2F06

Is this for REAL??

Lora

This is not Clay but a spoof of Clay.  I'm not planning on watching from some of the reports I've read.  I need to go check out the CB but this is from CV:

I read about this on the CB I believe. It is someone impersonating Clay and you DON'T want to watch it. Someone from the CB was at the taping and said it's awful. Jeff Foxworthy has not been kind to Clay in the past either....

I saw a preview for this this weekend. I didn't mention it cause, well.... it doesn't deserve one. Its a really bad overly exaggerated mocking character impersonator of Clay...(in his old haircut too). I love Jeff Foxworthy normally, but this skit will be one that I skip.
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2006, 02:52:01 PM »

I DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING THERE DEANNA.  MAYBE I WAS MISSING SOMETHING

Rats!!! The coding for the link changes when I try to post it here.  Sorry!!

Clay "is" the "News"
When Words Fail--Let Music Speak
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2006, 02:56:34 PM »

CLAY PIC

CLAY PIC

CLAY PIC

CLAY PIC

I hope these work!  Paranoid

Clay "is" the "News"
When Words Fail--Let Music Speak
lorraine
Enthusiastic

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2006, 03:29:33 PM »

THEY SURE DID.  THANKS DEANNA. Huggles  JUST WHAT I NEEDED.  BOY DO I MISS THAT GUY.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx