gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:29:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 381
Total: 381

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AIKEN NEWS NETWORK OCTOBER 24  (Read 6177 times)
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« on: October 24, 2006, 01:51:44 AM »

Claymates get busy
David Menconi, Staff Writer

One thing we've learned about Clay Aiken fans: They're quick to come to their hero's defense.
On Monday, the music blog Idolator (www.Idolator.com) ran a poll in its "Cover-Song Showcase Showdown," pitting Raleigh homeboy Aiken against rapper Joe Budden. The poll asked which cover of Mr. Mister's "Broken Wings" is superior, Aiken's version on his new album, "A Thousand Different Ways," or Budden's freestyle rap version.

By late Tuesday afternoon, Budden was outpolling Aiken 63.1 percent to 39.9 percent, with fewer than 200 total votes cast. Figuring Clay Nation could use a nudge, we posted a link to the contest in the "On the Beat" blog (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/beat) and a challenge to the Claymates: "So are you really going to let this stand?"

Two hours later, the results were dramatically different -- an Aiken landslide with Clay getting 91.6 percent to Budden's 8.4 percent. By Thursday afternoon, Aiken had racked up more than 1,600 votes, while Budden had yet to crack 100.

To see the poll, go to www.idolator.com and punch "Clay Aiken" into the search box at the top.
NEWSOBSERVER

Clay "is" the "News"
When Words Fail--Let Music Speak
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 01:53:22 AM »

OriginIdol trumps American Idol
Drew Haugen

The first round of the OriginIdol Competition kicked off in the Lory Student Center's Ramskeller on Friday night and, to say the least, I was impressed.

A spin-off of the American Idol concept, OriginIdol's contestants perform songs live for the audience and a panel of judges, and then face criticism from the judges. Afterward, audience voting determines who proceeds to the next round.although my heart melts whenever I hear Clay Aiken's rendition of Heatwave's hit "Forever and Always

And while American Idol may be one of the most popular television shows in America, I think OriginIdol conceptually triumphs.

Rather than performing other artists' songs, contestants in OriginIdol play original songs. And ," CSU students displayed true original talent on Friday night.
COLLEGIAN

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 01:55:02 AM »

HUMOR
How to get out the vote
Funnyman Jay Dyckman shares his ideas to entice more voters to the polls.

The "Don't-Blame-Me-I-Voted-For-Katharine-McPhee" Voter Reward Act. Because more people are voting for their favorite crooners on "American Idol" than for their own congressperson, it's time for democracy to ride the coattails of prime-time entertainment. (Undoubtedly, this is just how our forefathers envisioned it.) This act proposes that Nov. 7 will be the only day to vote for the winner of "American Idol" and that all votes must be registered at your local polling booth. Bonus feature: After making your selection, the screen will allow you to choose a background vocal track, and you will have three minutes to record an audition tape. Voters should be clearly advised, however, that all ballots with the write-in "Clay Aiken for president" will be voided.

USAWEEKEND

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 01:56:21 AM »

MORE PHOTOS FROM THE OUTDOOR MINI-CONCERT AT JIMMY KIMMEL

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 01:56:57 AM »

MORE CLAY YOUTUBE

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 01:59:06 AM »

Clay Aiken: Music of the Heart
by Cindy Wagner (2006/10/24)

Clay Aiken once said, "Perfection takes time, honey!" So after the long wait for his follow-up to "Measure of a Man," did "A Thousand Different Ways" deliver perfection?

All I can say is that I love it; I'll let the music experts debate its perfection. For me, a CD of love songs is about the heart, and perfection or imperfection is immaterial.

What matters to me is whether or not Clay's voice on these songs touches me. At least two touched me from the very first chords: Everything I Have and Lover All Alone (which is not technically on the CD but is available if you download the album from iTunes).

Other songs on the album are taking their time wrapping themselves around my heart, but I know they are doing so. In the mornings when I slowly ease from sleep to consciousness, it is always to the tune of a different Clay song. One day it may be Lonely No More that awakens with me; another morning it's Broken Wings or When I See You Smile.

Throughout the day, Clay's music provides the soundtrack of my subconscious. The voice soars through my mind and bestows harmony on my daily chaos.

Fans told Clay's executive producer, Jaymes Foster, that they wanted "more Clay" on the new album. That is, they wanted his voice showcased and his spirit to shine.

"More Clay" may not have been possible with a covers-heavy song selection, but Clay succeeded in imprinting them with his distinctive phrasing. He's got the lungs to wail the glory notes when needed, but also the superior breath control required to convey the tenderness in Here You Come Again and Everything I Have.

This begs the question of whether we really are getting "more Clay" with "A Thousand Different Ways." Those expecting more rock-star Clay, as we saw on the Jukebox Tour with songs like Back for More, might be disappointed. Those who wanted to hear only Clay's pure, unobstructed voice might object to its disappearing into the background vocals or orchestration or anything else the engineers mixed in.

I certainly got my "more Clay" with Everything I Have and Lover All Alone, both originals rather than covers. On Lover All Alone, Clay served as lyricist, and since his other writing credit is for Lonely No More, it might be safe to assume that loneliness is a theme close to his own heart and that he is sharing his feelings with us.

Everything I Have might be interpreted as a lover's promise to "measure up" - a sequel, perhaps, to "Measure of a Man." Some of my friends have even predicted that it could become a classic wedding or prom song. But I hear it more as a father's (or even a teacher's) promise to a child, and very much in keeping with Clay's expressed love of children. It is the song on which I hear the most love and joy in Clay's voice, just as in his book, "Learning to Sing," where his voice becomes freer when he describes his work as a teacher.

Another thing Clay told his fans while they were "chomping at the bit" for the new CD was to keep an open mind. He could have been referring to the song selection, the arrangements, or the love-theme concept itself, or he could have meant the way the album is being marketed (or not marketed, as some would argue).

Clay is an example of an artist who is largely unheard on the radio but is still quite successful at selling his music - on television, on tour, on the Internet. The approach is built on a cooperative model, not the competitive model that is radio. The promotional partnerships for Clay's CD have included Yahoo!, iTunes, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and K-mart, as well as television guest appearances and (like it or not) a couple of headline-making interviews.

Look no further than the success of The Bubel/Aiken Foundation itself to understand why this "cooperative" model works for Clay. The business model on which BAF was founded is about creating win-win partnerships with like-minded organizations rather than engaging in cut-throat, winner-take-all competition.

This new approach could be part of the "revolution" Clay talked about starting three years ago in his interview with Time magazine. It is a revolution that transcends one artist's struggle to reach his audience.

The success or failure of this CD need not be measured only in data from an industry that doesn't always understand how an artist communicates with his audience. I feel that Clay shared a great deal of himself in "A Thousand Different Ways" - perhaps everything he could, under the circumstances. And I will always want more Clay, perfect or not.
BEAVERSONIDOL

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 02:02:26 AM »

This Week's Lycos Top 50

Here are the top 50 searches on Lycos for the week ending October 21, 2006:

SEARCH TERM  LAST WK WEEKS

16 Clay Aiken 13 174
Soap star?

LYCOS50

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 02:05:16 AM »

POSTER OF CLAY FOR HOLIDAY CONCERT AT EISENHOWER HALL

*thanks to the Ideal Idol site*

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 02:06:57 AM »

CLAY PROMO VIDEO AT ROCK.COM

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 02:08:51 AM »

IDOLS RADIO

This week's theme is Clay Aiken's A THOUSAND DIFFERRNT WAYS.

IDOLMUSIC.COM

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 02:11:10 AM »

CD sales thus far this week:

CHART DATE: 10/23/2006
LAST UPDATE: 10/23/2006 18:58:20
NOW IN: 33.89%

LW TW artist / album label power index

36 42 CLAY AIKEN RCA/RMG 7,677
A THOUSAND DIFFERENT WAYS

HDD

Clay "is" the "News"
Her
Enthusiastic

CLAY'S #1 FRECKLE LOVER

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2006, 02:19:51 AM »

Hi M.B....have a terrific Tuesday!

Official Charter Member of the OCD

He is the beloved singing teddy bear placed near a young girl's flouncy canopied bed.

clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2006, 03:04:43 AM »

morning Buddy!! wave T. T. to you, too!  bigsmile

morning Angela, Lorraine, Lolita, and all the news gang!  wave

wave to DeannaPA and for helping out last weekend. Hug

Here ya go:
  Hershey's Kiss Cookie Cookie Hershey's Kiss morning coffee lotsa coffee

Clay "is" the "News"
ANGELA
Enthusiastic

A FAN FROM MASSACHUSETTS SUPPORTING CLAY 110%

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2006, 03:11:17 AM »

HELLO DEANNA, JAYNE & ANN READERS  wave,

DEANNA, THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE NEWS.

HOPE EVERYONE HAS A WONDERFUL DAY,
ANGELA

"BE HAPPY,TRY YOUR BEST & LET GOD TAKE CARE OF THE REST"
"LIZ, JULIE, JJ & CAROL OUR 4 SHINING ANGELS" "SUPPORTING CLAY 110% SINCE DAY ONE"    "
lorraine
Enthusiastic

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2006, 04:06:31 AM »

I DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING THERE DEANNA.  MAYBE I WAS MISSING SOMETHING.
lorraine
Enthusiastic

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2006, 04:08:06 AM »

GOOD MORNING DEANNA AND FRIENDS.

WHEN THE CLAYNATION SPEAKS , CLAY WINS.

SURE HOPE OUR CLAY CAN PICK UP ON THOSE SALES NUMBERS.  SEE YOU LATER DEANNA ON CHARTING THE WATERS.

HUGS
RAINEY
fhmmany2
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

Clay's Magazine Maniac

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2006, 04:33:42 AM »

What a great concert poster! I will be happy when the concerts start (even though I am not going). I doubt if there will be Clack, since most orchestras do not allow recording or photos, but at least Clay will be back in front of fans, and we may be lucky enough to get some reports - should help with CD sales, too! 

Memories of Julie, jj, Liz, Carol, Janet, and Debi Make Me Smile - I Was Lucky To Have Known Them!
I Met Clay In Atlanta On 8/2/05 - Life Is Good!
Marilyn
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

THE EPITOME OF DECORUM

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2006, 04:49:20 AM »

WOW THIS IS A REALLY NICE PROMO- THE NARRATOR SAYS ALL THE RIGHT THINGS!!

ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!
Marilyn
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

THE EPITOME OF DECORUM

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2006, 04:50:03 AM »

ME TOO

ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!
lorilovesgolf
UltimateFan

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2006, 05:49:26 AM »

Good morning!!  Love the Rock.com promo!!  Very, very nice indeedy!!

"Some men walk and find their place in the world...
Some men show the world their walk."
Author Unknown.
Official Charter Member of OCD
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx