gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:30:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 397
Total: 397

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sunday Roundtable Discussion : Why don't the critics "get" it???  (Read 7274 times)
lolita
UltimateFan

A Clay fan forever

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2006, 07:23:38 PM »

This CD is one of the best CD I have ever owned. Purple Banana Purple Banana Like most of you, I have asked myself the same question repeatedly. Why don’t the critics get it? Most of my in-laws do not like Clay. They have many invalid reasons; He is weird, he did not win, he is yuck, some even gasp and exclaim, “eww, you like him”? They are lucky that I am not a violent person or I would have slapped them silly. bigsmile Perhaps some if not most of these critics are like my in-laws. When it comes to Clay, their minds are closed. Too bad for them, they will missed on of the greatest artist in this generation and of the next.

I still do not understand why some people have this reaction towards Clay.  Could it be that they are envious?  lmao Heck, we may never know the answer to this question.

I have much more to say, but sometime it is better to keep silent.

Woodstock, thank you for this topic.

lolita

A true friend is someone who
                                  says nice things behind
                                        your back.

Janet, rest in peace in your new home
clayharmony
ANN News Team
SuperFan

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2006, 11:36:59 PM »

Johanna, that's interesting. It seems most music critics have backgrounds in writing, not music.  But, in a way I can understand how that would be appropriate.  They are after all, critics, not musicologists.  On the other hand, how refreshing would it be to actually read a "review" of an album that doesn't include personal bias and preferences formed as a teenage boy.  What a concept!

Speaking of boys, are all music reviewers male?  Just wondering.

It seems that many of the more informed pop and A/C reviews I read are written by Billboard's Chuck Taylor.  I thought this one, for Barry's new single, a "faithful" cover of the Four Seasons' "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You," was interesting.  And by the way, I don't know a single 50 yo woman who "adores" Barry Manilow. I'm sure there are some, and that's great.  But there are just as many 50 yo women who "adore" Eric Clapton, Rod Stewart and Elton John. I hate stereotypes.

What do you get when you mesh Barry Manilow with an inspired set of retro songs perfectly suited for 50-year-old women? Massive nirvana. Fans already lapped up the master interpreter's "The Greatest Songs of the Fifties"—an album not even particularly attuned to his primary fan base. Upcoming "The Greatest Songs of the Sixties," conjured by longtime mentor Clive Davis, makes its presence known just before its retail release with Manilow's fun, faithful cover of the Four Seasons' "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You." Yes, the song reeks of old-school Vegas, where the enduring entertainer has a sold-out, open-ended run at the Las Vegas Hilton, but it is also wildly entertaining. Perhaps too soft for current-day AC, but assured as a successful entry port for Manilow's adoring public. —Chuck Taylor

I wonder if you know anything about Chuck Taylor, and his background. His review of MoaM was very complimentary, but for ATDW, not so much.

I don't worry too much about reviews of any CD really, and especially Clay's. I've seen far too many so called "reviews" that go on and on about everything but the music, including rants about American Idol, the Claymates, Clay's hair and other physical appearances. 

Not all, but too many "music critics" are about the hip factor moreso than the actual music in my opinion. For people who actually enjoy pop music, there is a dearth of well written, informed reviews from which to base an opinion.

The only real way for pop music lovers to find out about new music is on the radio. Oh, wait.  Never mind.

This thread continues to really interest me, thanks everyone for your commentary.  Pamela...I especially shared some similar reactions...

are all music reviewers male [?] ...oh, I have I wondered about that, too!...where has title 9 been on this... 

too many "music critics" are about the hip factor ...Indeed!...and a few that I researched certainly didn't fit the too cool for school look...overcompensation perhaps?   Laughing

The only real way for pop music lovers to find out about new music is on the radio. ...(I hate how dependent I feel yet on radio...just like I feel about gas stations, Edison, and how I used to feel about Pac Bell, before deregulation hit their fees...)this is the only reason I still wade through the dreck ...because I do hear at least some new music I like...but at what cost?  how many great talents am I not hearing...  ...we certainly...and all too painfully, know of one, don't we!  [If you like soul, the Gray Charles website frequently provides MP3 links to some fabulous funky music...I've not been able to keep up with that genre in years...ever since top 40 stations sold their soul to rap, hip hop and alternative...] 

About Chuck Taylor...couldn't find any biographical data on him...geez why don't they make a critic's credentials more accessible???  however I did find an interesting read:  "A Rock Critic Greatest Hits"...just type that title in and google it... and it should take you to the article...once again, the fellow had been a lover of rock music, but no mention of any actual training in music itself.  It certainly supports my assertion that these critics get their jobs based on their colorful writing styles...passion for the subject...without a formal education in it.  I don't believe classical music critics, fine arts critics, are hired this way.

Clay's jois de vivre gladdens my heart;
his spiritual consciousness and musical gifts bring  harmony to my soul.

What is beautiful is a joy for all seasons...

Life is a Song ~ Love is the Music
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2006, 09:35:13 AM »

Thank you Johanna. And that is why, IMHO, what they have to say is irrelevent to me.   

Or, I could quit b*tching about it and go be a music critic myself.  A female take on pop music might be interesting.

bigsmile

Just kidding.... while I do love to write, and I do love music, I don't think I care to have as my career, a job that seems mostly irrelevent. Wink
HavinaClayAffair
Enthusiastic

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2006, 10:56:23 AM »

I might like "irrelevent".

How much does it pay?

I always have an opinion on something!! And to get paid for it too, could be right up my alley. And I am under 50.

Think I am a shoe in?

Lora
clayharmony
ANN News Team
SuperFan

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2006, 07:31:17 PM »

Thank you Johanna. And that is why, IMHO, what they have to say is irrelevent to me.   

Or, I could quit b*tching about it and go be a music critic myself A female take on pop music might be interesting.

bigsmile

Just kidding.... while I do love to write, and I do love music, I don't think I care to have as my career, a job that seems mostly irrelevent. Wink

Pamela, I love the idea!   Clapping

I might like "irrelevent".

How much does it pay?

I always have an opinion on something!! And to get paid for it too, could be right up my alley. And I am under 50.

Think I am a shoe in?

Lora

You too LoraLaughing

You'd both be great and a darn sight better than those turkeys who postulate about Clay with such grand 'expertise'    bigsmile

Clay's jois de vivre gladdens my heart;
his spiritual consciousness and musical gifts bring  harmony to my soul.

What is beautiful is a joy for all seasons...

Life is a Song ~ Love is the Music
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2006, 07:38:35 PM »

My own opinon, not that it means anything of course, is that critics are threatened by Clay.

He doesn't need them to succeed.

He just needs us.

AI Forum Moderator
Yup, I think about Clay probably about as often as men think about sex.
"Half my butt is mac & cheese and the other half is Krispy Kreme..." Clay Aiken
Carpe Clayum-Seize the Clay
Boomer Aries
Clayamateur

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2006, 04:02:49 AM »

I'm late in getting my two cents in but here goes...
Woodstock stated:
"And the more I have listened to ATDW, the more I love each and every song."
That's has been my experience too, Debbie!  It's the pure lyric quality of Clay's voice and how expressive he is that draws us in.  Why can't THEY see that?!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx