gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:27:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 479
Total: 479

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sunday Roundtable Discussion: The CD!!  (Read 10058 times)
Char
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2006, 08:46:48 PM »

Okay Pamela, you asked....here is my take on ATDW :)

I am disappointed overall. When the concept was first announced, I had my doubts....I just hoped that they would pick songs that would go well with Clay's voice and they would do something really great with the arrangements. I saw the song list finally and thought....yes...they DID pick wonderful songs! Then after waiting for what seemed like eons...the CD arrived and I felt very let down while listening to it. I have listened to it at least three to four times a day, every day since Tuesday and while it has grown on me somewhat, it was just not what I had expected. Let me try to explain:
1) The arrangements- basically simple and somewhat "cheesy". I now wish that David Foster had produced/ararnged the songs on the CD.
2) I felt that they had held Clay's voice back a lot. Someone wrote on a blog (I think on USA Today) that if you had ever seen Clay in concert, you would understand that he seems subdued on this CD. I agree with that totally.....after seeing Clay live so many times, I expected more greatness in the use of his voice. He has such range and style- it seems like the producers toned him down a lot.
3) Bad mixing!!! There are actually areas where you can tell where the vocal has been spliced in- the timbre of Clay's voice changes radically- and you can hear more tape noise in some areas of the CD. Not at all what I expected with David Foster's sister overseeing everything. I had expectations of Jaymes Foster having a little of the same ear that her brother has, but it is apparently not so.

What I like : Like I said, the songs are growing on me, and I am sure I will always listen to it- I will not put it off to the side and say no more!
It is something new from Clay- so of course I treasure it :)

The one song that stands out for me is "Everything I Have" with William Joseph. It is about as close to perfect for a love song as you can get. The beautiful oboe running through with a countermelody...and William Joseph's accompanaiment is sheer joy to the ear. Clay's voice is beautifully nuanced for most of this song, although I would have preferred to hear him be stronger at the end.  Melody and verse both- just gorgeous! The orchestral arrangement is more of what I had expected to hear on the rest of this CD!

So, I know I am not the majority here....it just was not the greatest CD I have heard. There was nothing basically new about the covers really....a few gimmicks here and there- but no new breaking ground as we have heard Clay do with songs on his tours- where he really puts a new spin on it for us.  I kept telling myself I am being too picky since I have done sound engineering and I have a background in music...but it is more than that- I am just not crazy about this whole CD! I went back and listened to Merry Christmas With Love- and actually prefer that CD, as Clay's voice soars on that one and the arrangements and mixing are superb! THAT is the level I was looking for, so I guess I can understand why I was disappointed with ATDW.

- Char
ILClaymate
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2006, 09:23:02 PM »

Well, for me I am really enjoying the CD.  To me I think he did a great job with most of the songs and I've enjoyed playing them over and over.  And I have to agree with Deanna.  After submitting my 2 fav songs for the article written by Pamela which was a tough decision, I think my favs will change over time.  I do still like the 2 I chose, When I See You Smile and Everything I Do.  I actually changed to Everything I Do from Because You Loved Me.  Those 2 are pretty equal but after listening more closely to Everything I Do in my headphones I really enjoyed it!  The only song I would say I'm having trouble enjoying is Here You Come Again.  I still can't get Dolly's version out of my head everytime I hear it. 

The bonus tracks are great!!  Especially Lover All Alone is quickly becoming a favorite and I enjoy listening to it over and over.  Clay seems to be singing that from his heart and I'm looking forward to hearing more original material from him.  I think he did great on the 2 songs he helped write on this CD and I hope he comes more comfortable with it so we can hear more on the next CD!

Clapping  Great job Clay!  I think you did a great job with ATDW and look forward to the tour! 
Marilyn
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

THE EPITOME OF DECORUM

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2006, 07:45:54 AM »

Hi, Marilyn!!

www.live365.com/stations/kenndawg316

It seems they're playing Clay all day. Songs from every CD and demos.

Enjoy!!!

THANK YOU!!

ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!
Invisible Touch
Claymaniac

Minneapolis, MN

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2006, 08:05:14 PM »

It is interesting that all of these songs leave people with differing impressions.

Overall, I love the album, there isn't one song on it that I hate.  Unfortunately, I can't add any technical feedback, I usually just like a song or I don't.  Prior to Clay announcing what this album would be, I hoped for some upbeat, rockin' songs, but it was not meant to be for this album, for whatever reason.  Even though it is not what I hoped for I still love it just the same!!  It is Clay's voice and that is always glorious to me!!

Songs most looked forward to listening to:  Right Here Waiting and Lonely No More

Most Favorite Song:  Everything I Have

Other favorites: Here You Come Again, These Open Arms, Right Here Waiting, A Thousand Days

Get stuck in my head:  Lonely No More, Everytime You Go Away

Have Skipped a few times:  Broken Wings

Made me cry on first listen:  When I See You Smile, Because You Loved Me, and Everything I Have - These really suprised me because I have only cried on two occasions when hearing Clay sing, and those were both the first times that I heard BOTW and Solitaire LIVE in Concert.

Again, over all - Love it, Love it, Love it!!!!   Super Happy!!!

"Clay Aiken is an ordinary-extraordinary human being.  I hope we always remember to treat him as that human being rather than the idol he chooses not to be."  – Kathy Malamut (Beavers on Idol)
Sunflower101
Claynewbie

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2006, 01:48:36 PM »

I liked most of the songs on the CD, but I would have preferred different arrangements on some of them.  But there were couple of songs that I really liked - Sorry seems to be the hardest word and Everything I have.  You can really hear his emotions.  My husband, who is very picky about what songs he likes (he loves Josh Groban, Il Divo, Eagles, etc), and who doesn't particularly into AI, actually turned up the volume when I was playing Sorry Seems to be the hardest word and said it's much better than Elton John.

caramel131
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2006, 12:48:25 PM »

I am familiar with all the cover songs on the CD and I think Clay has done a great job with them.  My cover favorites are Everything I Do, Broken Wings and Sorry Seems to  Be the Hardest Word.  My new song favorites are These Open Arms and 1000 Days.

According to an interview I read, Clay stated the intention for this CD was to be more subdued (not exactly his words).  It is more about him singing and not belting out the power notes as we all know he can do. 

First the critics blasted him for his power notes, now they are criticizing the album because the power notes are not there.  There's no winning here.
clayzy4you
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2006, 01:03:57 PM »

First the critics blasted him for his power notes, now they are criticizing the album because the power notes are not there.  There's no winning here.

Oh critics are stupid 

His voice is as beautiful as ever, just as much as on MOAM. Wish they would mention something like that.
InAweOfClay
UltimateFan

Forever a Fan

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2006, 07:09:35 PM »

Always late.....   After several weeks of listening to ATDW, I wanted to see what others liked/disliked and ILClaymate pointed me here. ((ILClaymate)) It is fun to read all the different opinions. There are some interesting combinations of favorite songs by prior posters here.

This CD is awesome. The first play through, it did sound mostly the same to me. Not any more!!!!!

Favorites:  Lonely No More, Without You, Sorry, Here You Come Again, and Everything I Have

Least Favorites:  I Want to Know What Love Is and These Open Arms

The others are good, and I find myself singing them while doing real life things.

Lover All Alone is better than everything on the CD, and that's really saying something. It is beautiful and Clay is really putting himself into it.

If You Don't Know Me By Now is performer Clay. He is letting it all out and I can picture him wailing on stage. 

Can't wait to see him at Christmas and especially touring "soon".  ROFLMAO

Has anyone changed their favorites now that we've had the CD for several weeks?

Boomer Aries
Clayamateur

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2006, 07:35:53 PM »

I'm REALLY late in getting my two cents in on this discussion.
I've been listening to ATDW every day since its release.  The bonus tracks ('Lover All Alone' and 'If You Don't Know Me By Now') are amazing!!  I wish they had been included on the "regular" CD.
My favorite song is still 'Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word' with 'Everything I Have' a close second.

Some people at work have told me they've heard 'Without You' on the radio and they like Clay's rendition.  YAY!!

But when it comes right down to it I enjoy listening to all the songs because I love listening to Clay's voice!!

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx