gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:04:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 196
Total: 196

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Poll
Question: Which media venue would you like to see Clay's new single marketed most in?  (Voting closed: September 05, 2006, 10:14:35 AM)
Adult Contemporary Radio - 22 (36.7%)
Pop Radio - 7 (11.7%)
Music Video - 3 (5%)
Single Sales - 0 (0%)
Talk Show & TV Circuit - 28 (46.7%)
Total Voters: 44

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Poll: How would YOU market Clay's new single?  (Read 6480 times)
LadyC
Adults
Enthusiastic

I heart the tabloid media.

« on: August 22, 2006, 10:14:35 AM »

There has been a lot of discussion here on the board about how Team Clay should market the first single from ATDW, Without You.

And we have some truly creative and bright Maniacs here, folks!  So chime in and share your creative ideas.  For the purpose of this poll, YOU can be in charge of Team Clay ...

Smack

Sorry ... had a BLPT moment.  You know, the whole thought of being in charge of Clay ... and ...   Paranoid ...

Well ...

You get the idea.

Paranoid

So jump in already!!!  The water's warm.   Wink

Aunt Em,
Hate you.  Hate Kansas.  Taking the dog.
~Dorothy

clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 02:59:35 PM »

Kris, I just had to vote for Adult Contemporary Radio!! Laughing

This is where I think Clay could really shine.  I have felt this way since the very beginning.  Clay has done absolutely, amazingly well without radio in the past, but I honestly believe he does have a niche here.

I hope that Team Clay does a really, really big push of his songs to radio this time around.

I don't think Clay NEEDS radio to be successful.  He has already proven that he is a sales giant without it.  I just would like to see radio finally embrace him to give him even more credibility in the industry.

Clay "is" the "News"
When Words Fail--Let Music Speak
mrs. c.
Enthusiastic

Clay's Buttercup

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 03:32:05 PM »

I vote Talk Show and TV circuit!!!  Firstly selfish reasons, I'd get to stay up late and drool bigsmile, secondly, Clay's personality is so much of his appeal, hearing him interviewed and then singing is a double whammy for new mass appeal!!!

Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away!
Baby you can drive my car
Magnificently eye frelled in Clio
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 08:10:55 PM »

I voted for A/C radio too, but for a different reason.

I love seeing Clay on TV, but it's just over too soon, you know?

The reason for radio play is that people will hear the music for weeks and months, hopefully every day. Hopefully, several times a day!

It would help add a longevity factor to sales, it would bring new fans, and, it would hopefully insure more TV appearances down the road.

Great poll Kris!
wvclayfan
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

Always and forever

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 08:17:02 PM »

I need a none, or combination, of the above choice. Laughing

~ Lindsay ~

"I will now rise from the ashes. Don't call me pretentious. I'm sitting here making my own rules."
HavinaClayAffair
Enthusiastic

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 03:47:58 AM »

I need a none, or combination, of the above choice. Laughing

Lindsay,

Somehow I don't see the best marketing strategy for Clay as singing to YOU , personally, in your living room- as benefiting his career. Laughing

I assume that is why "None" would be a choice for you? Wink

I actually chose TV Land...where he was first Discovered and Recognized by the masses BUT I do believe that along with that they need marketing on the AC Radio stations.

I wish the album had been a bit more Popish...more mainstream..but again, I believe this is where Clay will be the most successful for at least, this album.

Lora
playingclay
Claymaniac

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 09:19:35 AM »

I said A/C radio too.

My reason is that, by the looks of things, they are going to do the talk show route anyhow which is great by me. That will get things off to a nice start.

But I agree with Pam, they got to work to make sure he gets radio play and he gets a few successful singles off this CD.  Kelly is still getting radio play from her Cd and it has been out for almost two years.  Her single was out quite a bit before the CD, so far that hasn't happened with Clay.

I DON'T want a big Sept. push and then, well, that's it.  His fans bought the CD.

Love my clayshake---warm milk and a couple of scoops of vanilla icecream....especially at bedtime.
Keeper of the wind to blow the shirts up.
Claygirl
SuperFan

Always have faith, and there will be a way.

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2006, 06:32:44 PM »

I voted for AC/Radio, I would love for Clay to get radio air-play for a change, more people would hear his music, and if it's played enough, maybe Pop radio would start playing it, then he'd make a video for it, have a lot of single sales and promote it on all the TV shows!  Clapping  Super Happy!!!

Angel Baby Dust ~Kelly~ Baby Dust
Love! I love Clay Aiken! Music heartbeat claymaniacs rocks
Hearing Clay's voice, quiets the ones in my head. Wink
(Clay's biggest fan and David Cook "Word Nerd" #2894!) :heartburst
Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 10:52:40 AM »

These may be some  questions, but that's never stopped me before!! bigsmile

!. Why have a single at all?  Why not just have the album come out?

2. Will this single be available to the public or just to radio and media?  Wasn't "I Will Carry You" a single and not for sale?

Most places around me that sell CD's do not carry singles.  That's what I discovered when I asked about Katharine McPhee's single.

Prissy

Hug  *Prissy*   Music violin2 
Special memories of Julie, Joyce, Liz, Carol, Janet, Kris, and Debi
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 11:07:37 AM »

I VOTED FOR AC RADIO BECAUSE AS PAMELA POINTED OUT, TOO, AIRPLAY IS SUPPOSE TO LAST FOR WEEKS AND MONTHS AND IS THE BEST PROMOTION ANY ARTIST CAN HAVE. TV APPEARANCES ENHANCE AN ARTIST's PROFILE IN MY OPINION, AS DO MUSIC VIDEO's SINCE IT's ALL A VISUAL THING. WITH AIRPLAY AND IF HIS PEOPLE DO THEIR JOB, CLAY's SONG OUGHTA BE PLAYED AS MUCH AS EVERYONE ELSE's ON AC RADIO WHO ARE SELLING CD's. WHEN LOOKING AT THE CHART BOOKS I HAVE IN VARIOUS FORMATS, THE MOST USUAL CHART RUN IS 13 WEEKS...THAT'S LIKE 3 MONTHS! IN AC RADIO, A LOW-KEY FORMAT, SONGS CAN STAY ON THE CHARTS FOR HALF A YEAR AND EVEN LONGER IF RADIO CONTINUES TO PLAY IT. I THINK MARKETING ON AC RADIO, ESPECIALLY, SINCE HIS VOICE SUITS THAT FORMAT, IS THE WAY TO GO AND A TV APPEARANCE SHOULD BE LOOKED UPON AS A BONUS.

PRISSY: A SINGLE AS WE ALL KNOW IS SUPPOSE TO PROMOTE AN UPCOMING CD. YEARS AGO DURING THE VINYL ERA PEOPLE BOUGHT SINGLES BECAUSE THEY WERE CHEAPER THAN THE FULL-ALBUM AND BECAUSE RADIO LISTENERS WANTED JUST THAT ONE SONG AND NOT A WHOLE ALBUM BY THE SAME ARTIST. THEN WHEN BUYERS STARTED INVESTING IN ENTIRE ALBUMS, NOT JUST A COMMERCIAL SINGLE, IT REDUCED A SINGLE's IMPORTANCE AND SO NOW IT'S VERY RARE TO HAVE AN ACTUAL COMMERCIAL SINGLE OUT. "I WILL CARRY YOU" WAS A RADIO SINGLE, NOT A COMMERCIAL ONE WHERE CONSUMERS COULD BUY IT BY ITSELF INSTEAD OF THE ENTIRE MOAM CD. ALSO, IF LABELS RELEASE A COMMERCIAL SINGLE NOW-A-DAYS EVERYTIME THEY ISSUE A SONG TO RADIO, IT COMPETES WITH THE SALES OF AN ENTIRE CD OF SONGS...AND WITH LABELS and SONGWRITERS, OF COURSE, WANTING THEIR SONGS HEARD, THERE'S NO EFFORT TO BRING BACK THE COMMERCIAL SINGLE ERA WHERE ONLY 2 SONGS WERE OFFERED, THE A AND B SIDE.

RADIO SINGLES ARE DESIGNED TO PROMOTE THE ENTIRE CD SINCE THERE IS NO COMMERCIAL SINGLE TO BUY. HOWEVER, IF AN ARTIST IS POPULAR BUT DOESN'T HAVE AIRPLAY OR SUPPORT FROM RADIO, A COMMERCIAL SINGLE IN MY OPINION IS A MUST SIMPLY FOR PROMOTIONAL PURPOSES OUT IN STORES. AN ARTIST SHOULD ONLY GO THE TV AND MUSIC VIDEO ROUTE IF THEIR SONGS AREN'T BEING PLAYED...A LOT OF POPULAR OLDER ARTISTS MAKE A PROFIT AND DO WELL WITH TV ADVERTISED ALBUMS BECAUSE THEIR AUDIENCE WATCHES MORE TV THAN LISTEN TO THE RADIO. BECAUSE TV AND RADIO GO HAND IN HAND DOESN'T MEAN THEY DON'T COMPETE WITH ONE ANOTHER FOR A PERSON's ATTENTION.

I AM HOPING THAT THE SINGLE "WITHOUT YOU" IS COMMERCIALLY RELEASED BECAUSE I WANT HIM ON THE AC RADIO AIRPLAY CHARTS WITH THE SONG and ON THE SINGLE SALES CHARTS WITH THE COMMERCIALLY RELEASED SONG, TOO, SHOULD THERE BE ONE ISSUED COMMERCIALLY.

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2006, 02:03:46 PM »

AC,

Thanks for your reply.  I do remember the 45 singles and I had a lot of them in the 50's and 60's.  This makes sense that the single getting airplay may excite people to want to buy the whole album.  If it is for sale to the public, I just hope I can find a store that sells singles!!! Paranoid Wink

Prissy

Hug  *Prissy*   Music violin2 
Special memories of Julie, Joyce, Liz, Carol, Janet, Kris, and Debi
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2006, 03:06:23 PM »

AC,

Thanks for your reply.  I do remember the 45 singles and I had a lot of them in the 50's and 60's.  This makes sense that the single getting airplay may excite people to want to buy the whole album.  If it is for sale to the public, I just hope I can find a store that sells singles!!! Paranoid Wink

Prissy

Hello Prissy!! I don't know how all Wal*Mart's are layed out but at the one i shop in, they sell singles. They are located near the TV monitor where a person can put on headphones and stick a CD's barcode under a scanner and it will play snippets of songs from the CD. They also have DVDs of singers in that area, too! At our Wal*Mart it says "Singles: A-Z". There's not a whole lot of singles out there but our local Super Wal*Mart sells what's been made available.

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
spacekmam54
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2006, 11:12:47 PM »

I think I would like a poll that would let us choose more than one reply and maybe rate the responses in order of what we think is most important. Good marketing requires a muti-faceted approach
Tessie
Claymaniac

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2006, 10:40:56 AM »

I haven't had a chance to read the rest of the posts.  I debated between AC radio and TV talk circuit and ended up voting for TV.  In actuality, I would vote for both if I were able to.  I chose TV because to me a great deal of Clay's charm is his personality.  To get the full impact of Clay, one has to see him, hear his quick combacks, see how his eyes light up with laughter, hear that delightful giggle, and experience the thoughtful intelligence with which he answers questions as well as hear him sing.  One has to hear the words from his mouth, not taken out of context.  One has to see him sing and hear him sing and not just go by what the critics say.  To me, TV is the best way for millions and millions of people to experience the specialness of Clay.

That being said, however, I thought about all the people who don't get a chance to watch daytime TV or who go to bed earlier than the late night shows.  I thought about all the people who have the radio tuned in as background to their days...at work, or in the car.  I thought about how the voice would grab the attention as people heard something special and wondered "Who Is THAT?".  I thought about all the people who would be reached in this way in their usual busy days.

So, although I voted for TV for the reasons stated above, I would love to vote for radio too.  Hopefully, there will be lots of both types of promotion.
wisconsinmaniac
Enthusiastic

Filling Every Empty Space With Clay

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2006, 12:19:04 PM »

It is my opinion that to be noticed by a new fan base and to have his CD achieve "longevity", the answer would have to be AC Radio play being the priority in marketing! 

Being on TV is a "given" (I hope) because to see him sing is priceless~ and he is an extremely popular guest on most of the talk/entertainment shows.  But as others have pointed out, those appearances are "just once" and there are millions of potential fans who are not watching TV during the day or late at night, yet may be listening to the radio day in and day out!

Also, there are advantages to a having a music video of a single!  But that would not be the #1 marketing tool. Just think of how many times Clay has been introduced or mentioned, etc., with his "Invisible" video as the identifying piece of footage!  And, like it or not, the MTV/TRL viewers represent a huge market and videos are a very popular commodity.   

I think at this time, ballads have gotten more marketable in the music industry.  Think of James Blunt, John Mayer, etc.  I believe that James Blunt won at the recent Video Music Awards with his ballad. "Beautiful". 

SO - here's hoping RCA and Team Clay will be touching all bases !  Wink

How lucky we are to understand and appreciate the true beauty of Clay Aiken and to follow him on his journey as he "makes a difference"!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx