gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:57:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 391
Total: 391

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Whole version of "Without You" available  (Read 7535 times)
claydevotee
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2006, 05:34:29 AM »

The statue "David" was just a hunk of marble before Michelangelo chipped out a masterpiece.     

Clapping JILL!!!!  I simply can't allow that beautiful analogy (metaphor?) to go unnoticed!  So very true!!!  Now that's the good news.....but now here's the bad news:  Unfortunately, as much as I dearly love Clay's magnificent, artistic rendering of "Without You", I am more than just a  a little  nervous about how it will play out in the world of radio.  To me this is another "Solitaire".  Clay was widely praised for his brilliant, artistic rendering of Neal Sedaka's masterpiece, but unfortunately it seemed to fizzle as far as airplay goes. 

Believe me, I HOPE I AM WRONG!!!!
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2006, 05:36:57 AM »

The statue "David" was just a hunk of marble before Michelangelo chipped out a masterpiece.     

Clapping JILL!!!!  I simply can't allow that beautiful analogy (metaphor?) to go unnoticed!  So very true!!!  Now that's the good news.....but now here's the bad news:  Unfortunately, as much as I dearly love Clay's magnificent, artistic rendering of "Without You", I am more than just a  a little  nervous about how it will play out in the world of radio.  To me this is another "Solitaire".  Clay was widely praised for his brilliant, artistic rendering of Neal Sedaka's masterpiece, but unfortunately it seemed to fizzle as far as airplay goes. 

Believe me, I HOPE I AM WRONG!!!!

Hello Thea!! If the song got airplay by the acts that have been spoke of here, and if it wouldn't get any for Clay, then in my opinion radio not playing it would be because of WHO is singing it but i hope RCA promotes and buys the airplay time necessary. If they do their job this time around there should be radio airplay.

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
Glory
Enthusiastic

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2006, 05:45:38 AM »

I HAVE NO WORDS TO DESCRIBE HOW THIS SONG GRABS MY HEART. WONDER WHAT THE B SIDE WILL BE. ANY THOUGHTS.

A LITTLE LAUGHTER, A LITTLE SNARK, A LOT OF COMPASSION MAKES UP MY CLAYS HEART.
THINKING OF JULIE,JJ,LIZ, CAORL OUR OCD ANGELS
Anna
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2006, 06:06:59 AM »

Hey guys,
               I am not allowed to go to myspace,wil somone post it on the media player or something?  wave
Marilyn
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

THE EPITOME OF DECORUM

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2006, 06:13:45 AM »

LAST NIGHT I SURFED OTHER BOARDS FOR OPINIONS ON THE NEW FULL SONG. MOST LOVED IT, BUT MANY EXPRESSED CONCERN OVER RADIO PLAY.

THERE IS ONE FREQUENT POSTER ON THE OFC- THE ONE WHO HAD THE CONNECTION AT BMG WHO TOLD HER THEY WERE "BLOWN AWAY" BY THE SAMPLES THEY GOT. THIS PERSON ALSO TOLD HER THAT THE DJ'S THAT WERE SENT VARIOUS SAMPLES VOTED FOR Without You AS THE FIRST SINGLE. I DONT KNOW HOW IT WORKS- BUT IF THE DJ'S ASKED FOR IT, I WOULD HOPE THAT IT WOULD BE PLAYED BY THEM

ONLY TIME WILL TELL

ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!
Her
Enthusiastic

CLAY'S #1 FRECKLE LOVER

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2006, 06:51:43 AM »

I put this in CM...I think this one is a bit repetitive for the first single, so I hope "they" choose another....but what do I know???? Laughing  Thea, I'm with you, I don't see radio friendly with this one...I hope I'm wrong, but that's my gut reaction.

Official Charter Member of the OCD

He is the beloved singing teddy bear placed near a young girl's flouncy canopied bed.

GWENN
Enthusiastic

HE'S KILLING ME!!!!!!

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2006, 07:26:04 AM »

I ADORE THIS SONG.  IT BROUGHT TEARS TO MY EYES.  I DON'T CRY AT CLAY'S SONGS LIKE OTHERS DO.  IT IS SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND IF ANYONE CAN LISTEN TO THIS SONG AND NOT BE MOVED, THEN THEY HAVE NO EMOTIONS AT ALL.

RADIO PLAY--IF THE RADIO PLAYED THAT AWFUL JOSH GROBAN "YOU RAISED ME UP" LIKE EVERY 5 MINUTES, THEY SHOULD PLAY THIS.  NOTHING COULD HAVE BEEN MORE REPETTIVE THAN GROBAN'S SONG. 

THIS IS JUST GORGEOUS.

GWENN

HIS VOICE WRAPS AROUND MY HEART.
KEEPER OF CLAY'S CHARM
ALWAYS AND FOREVER
fantasy
Adults
Enthusiastic

Now I'm on my way!

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2006, 07:59:46 AM »

As far as radio play, the Harry Nilsson version was released in the 1970s, a very different era with a different style of music. And yes the Mariah Carey version got play because it was Mariah Carey. All I can base my opinion is on what my local radio station plays. They play more hip-hop, rock, pop rather than ballads. Now they have been playing the new Lionel Richie song (which is good, btw), and he is not a new, hip artist, so who knows. That station played "Invisible" when it first came out but never played anything else by Clay. They do not play Josh Grobain or Michael Buble either. We'll just have to see how TC markets this single.

"The last 20 feet are the hardest."
"Maybe I can rest beneath your smile."
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2006, 08:47:09 AM »

Quote from: GWENN
RADIO PLAY--IF THE RADIO PLAYED THAT AWFUL JOSH GROBAN "YOU RAISED ME UP" LIKE EVERY 5 MINUTES, THEY SHOULD PLAY THIS.  NOTHING COULD HAVE BEEN MORE REPETTIVE THAN GROBAN'S SONG.

Laughing I KNOW THIS WILL SOUND INSANE...WELL, FROM ME MAYBE NOT, BUT I WOULD THROW A FIT EVERYTIME I'D HEAR THE INTRO TO GROBAN's SONG ON THE RADIO. THE REASON? BECAUSE IN VARIOUS AC RADIO REPORTS ABOUT "SOLITAIRE" AND "THE WAY", THEY'D GIVE WHAT I'D CALL LAME EXCUSES FOR NOT PLAYING THEM IN HEAVIER ROTATION. THE POWERS THAT BE ARE WHO I REFER TO. ANYWAY, SOME SAID THE "SOLITAIRE" WAS TOO LONG AND SOME SAID IT DIDN'T FIT WELL WITH THE OTHER SONGS...AND THAT STRUCK A CHORD WITH ME. I'M GOING "HELLO?? GROBAN's OH SO SLOW BALLAD THAT MADE MY EYELIDS DROP INSTEAD OF RAISING ME UP IS ALL OVER THE RADIO...AND IT WAS WELL OVER 3 MINUTES LONG AND CLAY's SONG CAN'T EVEN MERIT ADEQUATE AIRPLAY!?!?" Don't Know

KRISTA: wave YOU'RE RIGHT ABOUT THE 1970's. THERE WASN'T SO MANY RADIO FORMATS BACK THEN, EITHER. EVERYTHING CONSIDERED NOT COUNTRY, UNLESS IT CROSSED-OVER, WAS ON POP RADIO...NO MATTER THE ACTUAL STYLE...R&B OR BLUES...MOTOWN...SOUL AND FUNK...SOFT-ROCK. ALSO, MORE IMPORTANT, RADIO SEEMED TO PLAY WHAT WAS ACTUALLY POPULAR WITH THE BUYING PUBLIC...THAT IS WHY THE '70s, MORE THAN ANYOTHER DECADE, HAD SUCH A MIXED SPECTRUM OF WHAT WAS POPULAR. NOW-A-DAYS AS YOU KNOW, AN ARTIST CAN BE JUST AS POPULAR AS THE NEXT ARTIST, BUT IF RADIO OR THE BUSINESS IS AGAINST YOU, THERE'S VERY LITTLE THAT CAN BE DONE...UNLESS RCA DOES THE NEW PAYOLA THING WITH CLAY's SONGS AND gets THEM ON RADIO.

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
lovinclay
Enthusiastic

Clay Aiken...Character and Integrity Personified!

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2006, 09:55:19 AM »

Marilyn, I'm hoping what you posted is true.  I'd like to believe the DJ's who heard this song were blown away.  To me, that's encouraging for radio play.  However, it is Clay, and we all know how radio feels about him.  And to be honest, we may be part of that problem.....constantly calling stations, emailing, etc.  I remember hearing a radio interview where a woman called in and commented about the station dissing Clay.  Well, the DJ came back at her saying they never dissed Clay.  And started in on the crazy fans that call and email constantly.  He was not pleased!  I'm hoping we've learned from our mistakes. 

As far as the Harry Neilson version back in the 70's.  Yes, that got lots of radio play.  But, back in the 70's radio stations actually played what the listeners requested.....imagine that!!!  And, Mariah's version.....well, it's Mariah.  Back when her version was out, she got radio play no matter what she sang.  Times are different now, as Jerry stated.  Clay will need big time payola for this one, I'm afraid.  Will RCA come thru for him?  Who knows.  I hope so, because everyone should get to hear this amazing song.  It's raw emotion, and it rips at you heart!  I could actually feel Clay's pain while listening to it.  It would be such a shame for this song to just fizzle away. 

Personally, I think that the better choice for the first single would have been 1000 Days, not because I think it's a better song, but it's more pop, and I could see it being accepted on MTV and VH1.  In my opinion, Without You doesn't have a chance there.  And, like it or not, those shows are big avenues for recording artists.  Only time will tell for this one. 

MICKI  

Supporting Clay, unconditionally, no matter what!

"People who read the tabloids deserve to be lied to" - Jerry Seinfield
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2006, 11:32:49 AM »

Well, I like Josh Groban. His song "Raise Me Up" got airplay because his label pushed it. I like Michael Buble too, but they ain't Clay. Clay's voice is unique, and his interpretations are unique. 

If it makes radio, it will be on your local A/C station only, not on the CHR/Top 40 stations. If the station you listen to plays hip hop, rap or Britney-type pop music, you won't hear Clay there. 

"Without You" was the first track on the soundtrack to my angsty teenage years. It was THE song I played over and over, ad nauseum. (Ask my Mom!) Laughing 

Clay sounds so amazing, I can hardly stand it. But, John Fields' arrangement is a little too lush for my personal taste.  It doesn't fit the simplicity of the lyrics.  The piano is fine, but I don't care for those "whooshing" sounds, they sound contrived, and the strings are overpowering. Acoustic guitar during the verses, and a wailing electric guitar during the chorus would make this version just about perfect for me.

I can't believe how wonderful it feels to hear him singing again.... I wish the arrangement was more sparse, plaintive and subtle.  Harry Nilsson's version was superior in that respect, for me.

But that voice..... lordy how I've missed it.
claydevotee
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2006, 02:48:53 PM »

Personally, I think that the better choice for the first single would have been 1000 Days, not because I think it's a better song, but it's more pop, and I could see it being accepted on MTV and VH1.  In my opinion, Without You doesn't have a chance there.  And, like it or not, those shows are big avenues for recording artists.  Only time will tell for this one. 

MICKI, I agree 100%!  For the life of me, I don't understand why it isn't going to be the first released.  I hope the fears of you, JAYNE, and a few others around here (including myself) are completely unfounded.   Fingers Crossed
zero_eight
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2006, 06:57:33 PM »

is Without You really gonna be the first release in the new album? has it been officially mentioned somewhere?
Ms. Hip Shake
SuperFan

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2006, 07:02:25 AM »

I LOVE IT!   Purple Banana

Re: radio play.  I cannot remember back when Harry Nilsson did it...but, was it a radio hit at that time?????  Was it a radio hit for Mariah Carey?  If indeed, "Without You", was played on radio for both of those artists, then it is technically a radio song (right)?  If radio does not give this beautiful piece of music a chance in lieu of all the junk they are playing, well, there is simply no justice.  That would be unfit, I tell you.

wave If the song got airplay by the acts you speak of, and if it wouldn't get any for Clay, then in my opinion radio not playing it would be because of WHO is singing it but i hope RCA promotes and buys the airplay time necessary.

Precisely the point that I was attempting to make, AC.  See, I come from the land of Clay o' Plenty.  There does not appear to be any kind of bias toward Clay Aiken where I live now, or in my childhood home town.  Clay gets his share of airplay on the local radio stations.  In fact, he has been played most days this week locally  (Invisible or The Way).  I actually heard Invisible this morning.  Could the music folk KNOW that he is ready to hit the airwaves again with new material?  I would wager a guess that radio stations are informed of upcoming CD releases and singles.  Our local stations are doing good job keeping Clay's name out there.  I applaud them for that.  I do not understand "artist bias" in any way, shape, or form.  Unless it has something to do with the more "enthusiastic fans" and their locking of horns with the DJ's, I  cannot the ignorance surrounding Clay Aiken.  It is so ridiculous, petty, and juvenile. 

Clay is not just a good singer....Clay is a GREAT singer.  In line with Frank Sinatra, Barbra Streisand, Tony Bennett, or Celine Dion.  You know, the greats.  Remarkable voice.  He is as good/ if not better in some ways as Andrea Bocelli and Josh Groban (two major major talents).   Andrea and Josh sound....trained.  Too perfect (as weird as that may sound).  Clay's voice has a raw element to it.  He has all his ducks in a row (tone, vibrato, control), but he sounds so pure and natural when he sings.  Natural, being the key word.  Natural and incredibly sensual.  So vocally gifted.  In fact, his voice sounds GREAT on the radio.  Why any DJ would reject this man....is beyond me.  I have heard all the crap: not cool enough, no street cred, not attractive enough.  Crap!  Crap! Crap!   Clay is cooler than cool, boy next door handsome, and if he has to look and act like Kid Rock to have street cred...forget it.  One look at Kid Rock, and I feel the need to shower.  Dirty, freaky little man.  Clay Rock??? Ewwwwwwwwwww.  Kid Rock = Yuck.  Clay = Yum.

Sometimes, I get the feeling that the musical tides are slowly changing.  I also feel that the Aiken fandom is smack in the middle of that wave change.  The naysayers do not like us one bit, but they have to face the fact: we will not let Clay be denied.  We are a flaming boil on their bottoms, for sure.   The fandom is, remarkably, toughing it out.  Many young fans are stepping up along side of the older fans to say "if you do not like Clay...stuff it, cuz I love him".  That, to me, is very very cool.  Clay may not be the king of MTV or radio at the moment, but who knows what the future holds if his fandom holds tight and keeps the faith.  A absolute refusal to quit on the part of the fandom.  That is what these silly DJ's need.  A good rebel yell from the fans.  If the disc jockeys think, for one minute, that Clay Aikens fans are any less important (consumer wise) then this dang MTV crowd, I have news for them. Dream on, people.  Pffffffffffffft! 

IMO, you can take your "performance artists" (the Madonna's and Britney's etc.), and toss them in the river.  Gimme talent.  Gimme Clay Aiken, Mr. Radio.   DAH!   

Peace out, fandom.  Thanks for the memories.  Goodbye.
HavinaClayAffair
Enthusiastic

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2006, 07:23:45 AM »

Why Miss Hip Shake-

I don't know what you ate for breakfast this morning..or what has gotten into you, but my oh my.

I love the whole "Boil on the bottom" example.

I do believe YOU ARE RIGHT! The Clay Aiken fandom has NOT let up, much. He has to be noticed because of that. Just how much buying power do fans need to have to keep their artist out in front? I don't know, but I DO believe Clays fans HAVE put their money where their Faith is...and he is still hangin in!

I don't know how in the heck the mainstream is REALLY going to react to the new CD. I don't even know how I am going to react to it. What I do know is that Clay really is a truly talented artist and most definately belongs in the categories that could included any of the best voices in the business.

That is really something to say.

Industry DJ's or Bigwigs will keep pushing, but I think Clays fans will just push back to keep him in the limelight!

Thanks for that post this morning. You have my blood a pumping!

Lora
Rayline
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2006, 07:59:06 AM »

I hope an original song will be the single.
I don't want people to think he only sings covers.
playingclay
Claymaniac

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2006, 11:50:26 AM »

Amen,  Ms. Hip Shake

Love the soft, sweet beginning, the sexy lower register of the first "if living is without you" and the belting out higher register later on. 

If someone is feeling angst,  the good news is  the strings and orchestration of the latter part of the song will help any teenager (or anyone else) belting out this song in the bedroom or bathroom with pretend mike in hand; singing along to Clay and feeling the emotions along with him.

Radio play?  I bloody well hope so!!

I especially hope the syndicated radio shows will play it.  My AC station plays Delilah, John Tesh and Leiza Gibbons' radio shows.  These shows need to play it.

Love my clayshake---warm milk and a couple of scoops of vanilla icecream....especially at bedtime.
Keeper of the wind to blow the shirts up.
cpnina
Clayamateur

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2006, 01:49:34 PM »

I also hated this song until the other day when I heard the whole version.

Thud! Thud! Thud! Thud! Thud! Thud! Thud! Thud! Thud! Thud! Thud! Thud! Thud! Thud! Thud! Thud! Thud! Thud! Thud! Thud! Thud!

ahem.....

guess that about covers it!!

Penny
hopelessly devoted to Clay
and hopes she never gets over it!!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx