gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:30:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 254
Total: 254

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 101 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Critical Mass 12 :: Clay Discussion  (Read 255806 times)
ILClaymate
« on: July 14, 2006, 11:24:44 AM »

Welcome to Critical Mass number 12!  This thread is for critical analysis as well as general discussion of Clay's music, his career, the media, and other Clay related topics.  Or, mindless drivel, as long as it is mostly about Clay. 

Content is always appreciated!

Please feel free to bring a discussion and to express your opinion.  The idea is to share your thoughts and ideas in order to encourage conversation. 

This doesn't mean that you must try to change everyone's mind if they don't happen to agree with you.  Be objective, consider that other people are different than you and have different opinions.  Respect that and each other.

All rules and guidelines apply. 

Topics in this thread should contain Clay content.  Feel free to share any news, articles, links to pictures or any other pertinent information.

In order to keep the tone conversational, please don't post pictures in this thread, post the links instead.  

All previous threads are archived in the "Favorite Threads" forum.

Thanks and have fun!

Where did we leave off....personal opinions on fandom vs. real life during Clay droughts.  Oh and Michael!  Don't forget to leave your birthday wishes in his birthday thread.  confetti2
Marilyn
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

THE EPITOME OF DECORUM

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 11:49:09 AM »

CHRISTIE- I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAID. REAL LIFE HAS BEEN STRANGE FOR ME LATELY. BUT SINCE I AM HOME, I COME HERE MORE OFTEN  THAN I USED TO, AND SCAN OTHER BOARDS TOO. I GUESS I WAS WRONG IN BEING IMPATIENT-I WILL BE GLAD WHEN HE COMES, AND I DO HOPE THAT HE TOURS THIS YEAR.

I WAS AT A POINT IN MY LIFE THREE YEARS AGO WHERE ALL I DID WAS WORK . THEN I LATCHED ONTO CLAY AND THIS SITE- I HAVE BEEN TO CONNECTICUT, RHODE ISLAND, FLORIDA, NORTH CAROLINA- AND MET SOME PRETTY SPECIAL PEOPLE. I HAVE BEEN SO GRATEFUL FOR THE FRIENDSHIPS GENERATED THROUGH BEING HERE. SO- I LOOK FORWARD TO THE TOURS BECAUSE WHERE ELSE WOULD SO MANY DIVERSE PEOPLE FROM SO MANY DIFFERENT STATES CONVERGE TO ENJOY THIS MAN AND WHAT HE HAS TO GIVE?

AND SO- I AM STILL ANTICIPATING THE CD, THE APPEARANCES, ETC. AND I SINCERELY HOPE THAT THERE WILL BE A TOUR SO I CAN SEE CLAY AND ALSO MANY OF THE MANIACS AND FRIENDS.

AFTER ALL, CLAY IN THE FLESH IS MUCH BETTER THAN  A PHOTO OR VIDEO, IS IT NOT??

ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!
cjrmax
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 12:03:04 PM »

I have to say I agree with most of what Carol said over in the old thread! eek!  I especially agree with the part about not teasing or playing us.  The now infamous "quite soon" post from way back when DID NOT refer to the CD being released.  It referred to CD news and as it was posted shortly before the EW blurb, which gave us our first clue that the CD would be mostly covers, my guess is that is what he was referring to.  He may have even thought it would have more information in it.  Who knows.

I think Clay tells us what he can and I think he keeps us more in the loop than most artists.  What if he had told us the release date was the June 20th date many stores had listed and then it was pushed back to September or October?  People would have been furious and even more disappointed than not having any official release date!  I have learned that one thing VERY common in the recording industry are delays in release dates.  They seem on average to be delayed anywhere from about 3 to 5 times.  Clay is no different.

When he alluded to an album coming out during the JBT what did he say?  He said "When its ready"!  When JFnoL and Clay both they said they hoped it would be out in the first half of the year, that was the truth.  They HOPED that would be the case.  Then the format changed.  It really hasn't been that long when you take that into consideration.  When he blogged in April with news of the format change he was still in the studio.  I knew then there was no way the CD would be out in the first half of the year and they most likely would not release it in the summer since it is such a down time for TV - Clay's primary mode of promotion.  But still people thought it would be out in June and then were shattered and/or mad when it wasn't. 

They were convinced his appearance on AI5, only about a month after a blog which told us he was still in the studio, would be the start of the CD promotion!  How?  If he was still in the studio in late April, the CD was likely either barely finished or perhaps even not quite finished when he was on AI5!

I sometimes think Clay fans just feel too entitled to know everything happening in his life because for the most part "we" got him to where he is by voting for him on AI and supporting him so loyally the last 3 years.  We all scream that we want a quality album, yet we expect him to spit one out in a few weeks!

Clay never promised us an album by a specific date.  So how was he teasing us?  The contest?  I think there were some last minute delays in the official announcement and it was his way of keeping the natives occupied for a few weeks.  And for it, someone will get an autographed CD and a phone call from Clay!

And be prepared.  When the Oh-fficial announcement does come, do not expect it to be followed with appearances on TV or in print.  That will likely come much closer to the actual drop date to keep him fresh in people's minds.  We may get the announcement of a drop date and the first single and that will be it for awhile. Until the promotion starts in earnest, I think we will be getting more information in dribs and drabs.

This fandom wants so much from Clay - more than he can possible ever deliver.  He told us the CD would be out when it was ready - and it will be.  The delays we have seen are normal for the industry.  He has told us what he can.  Why does anyone expect more?
LuvMyClay
Enthusiastic

He Makes My Day

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 01:08:29 PM »

I believe people expected something by now (right or wrong) because back in January when he said "QUITE Soon," most of us thought it would be much sooner than it is turning out to be.  I don't necessarily agree, Christie, that it was the EW blurb he was referring to in his blog.  I do think, however, that things got delayed.  That happens!  Not to mention there was a change as to what would be on this CD.  I'm not angsting over it, when the time is here I think we will get A LOT of Clay.  IMO, the problem is that "soon" is usually sooner than this has turned out to be, and that's what has people angsting.
Sundancer
Enthusiastic

THE QUEEN OF SNARK Raleigh

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 01:12:42 PM »

I WILL BE GLAD WHEN HE COMES...
What was the question again?

"To look at me, you may be wrong. I've been through this--it made me strong."
"'Lifted me up when I couldn't reach; you gave me faith 'cuz you believed."
"I believed that I would find an open door or a Light to lead me to the other side."
PHILLYLUVSCLAY
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 01:18:41 PM »

I WILL BE GLAD WHEN HE COMES...
What was the question again?

Whoa....Sunny smutted on the first page! shocking
Sundancer
Enthusiastic

THE QUEEN OF SNARK Raleigh

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 01:21:05 PM »

I did not!

I was merely asking for clarification.

"To look at me, you may be wrong. I've been through this--it made me strong."
"'Lifted me up when I couldn't reach; you gave me faith 'cuz you believed."
"I believed that I would find an open door or a Light to lead me to the other side."
PHILLYLUVSCLAY
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 01:35:17 PM »

I did not!

I was merely asking for clarification.

OH, Clarification.. SO, That's watch you are calling it these days.. bigsmile
Misha
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 02:05:58 PM »

I have been sitting here thinking about what you've said, but the fact of the matter is that for me... I was away for a very very long time.  I took a huge step back after the divorce to concentrate on my real life and to find out just who I was.

I did not get to see him for the JBT.  As a matter of fact, this week is the very first time I even looked at downloads from the JBT.  Yes, I saw him at JNT2, but I missed JNT1 so I felt slightly entitled to enjoy it when it actually came to my city and I didn't have to fly anywhere or stay in a hotel anywhere and I could just go to a concert and go home.

What I did find when I took a step back and found a life and love and quite honestly, myself...  is that I am a Clay fan through and through (No matter what I think of his looks and there have been many times that OUTWARDLY, he just needs help.   bigsmile).

Those who were with me at the Independent Tour in Spokane can argue with me, but I hated how he looked up on stage.  Maybe it was the angle, but he looked horrid to me in that bright green shirt.

Doesn't stop me from being fangirly... but there are going to be moments when I'm happy with Clay and his looks, and times I am not.  I've come to grips with it because I adore the man inside the bod.  I think we alllll can agree on that.

But something else I have also come to grips with... is that we are the hen house and Clay is our rooster (insert a cockadoodle-doo and a filthy thought here  Naughty)...

We cluck.  We do.  We cluck and peck at everything.  Its what we do.  We will discuss anything and everything and beat the horse to death until we're tired of the topic.

I equate it to this... When a man done us wrong, we gather around the ice cream and/or chocolate and talk all night about the man and men in general etc, etc.  Well, we do the same thing with Clay and the different things going on around him.

We want to know where he is and what he's doing, the same way we'd want to know when our husband/spouse/boyfriend/fiance/daughter/son is coming home and what they're doing during the day and with their lives.

We worry.  We fret.  Some of us, more than others.

Does it mean we don't have a full life?  Absolutely not.  But like any other hobby, we spend time doing things we love to do.  For us, we love spending time with other Clay fans, discussing Clay topics and gathering together to see the man himself.

I find myself excited again about Clay after my hiatus.  I find myself even more excited about spending time with my Clay friends than before.  I had wondered if I had only had Clay (and to be honest, all of you) in my life because there was so much missing from the life I had with the jerk.  But I have found, after quite some time away... that you all enrich my life.  And even when I get pissy and irritated with one or more of you... I still wouldn't trade a single one of you for the world.  And I really do mean that.  About everyone.

I am healed in so many ways.  Still healing in small ways, but its a process.  And I'm just glad that I know that I can bitch about anything here and there and there is always someone there to listen.  Even if you do get tired of the venting.   bigsmile
NCSandhillsDeb
Adults
SuperFan

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 02:18:57 PM »

I lurk in this thread a lot and laugh sometimes until I cry.

But Misha, your post deserves a "well said"!!!!!!  Love the hen house/rooster part, this is soooooo true!!!!!!!!

Debbie

All you need is love.  But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.  Charles M Schulz
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2006, 02:22:39 PM »

This fandom wants so much from Clay - more than he can possible ever deliver.  He told us the CD would be out when it was ready - and it will be.  The delays we have seen are normal for the industry.  He has told us what he can.  Why does anyone expect more?

The best kind of friend is the one you could sit on a porch with, never saying a word, and walk away feeling like that was the best conversation you've had.
Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
GWENN
Enthusiastic

HE'S KILLING ME!!!!!!

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2006, 02:34:40 PM »

BEING ABLE TO VENT ON THIS THREAD IS A GREAT HELP TO ALL OF US.  SOME ANGST OVER THE HAIR.  SOME GLASSES.  SOME DELAYS.  WE SUPPORT EACH OTHER DURING ALL KINDS OF MESSES.  IT IS WHAT MAKES CM SUCH A WONDERFUL PLACE TO ME. 

CLAY IS OUR HOBBY.  HE HAS BROUGHT TONS OF PLEASURE  shocking TO OUR LIVES.  I, MYSELF, AM VERY GRATEFUL.  BTW--MISHA--BRILLIANT ANALOGY.  Huggles Clapping 

I AM NOT ANGRY WITH CLAY.  I DON'T THINK I COULD BE.  I DON'T THINK HE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DELAYS.  HE IS A BUSINESS WITH LOTS OF PEOPLE PULLING AT HIM.  IT IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS WHAT GOES ON BEHIND THE SCENES.  BUT EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE, THERE IS A FRUSTRATION IN NOT KNOWING.  IT PASSES.  RL TAKES OVER. 

AND BARRY STARTS SPENDING MONEY.  AT LEAST IF I AM AT A CLAY CONCERT IT DOESN'T BOTHER ME AS MUCH. Wink

GWENN

HIS VOICE WRAPS AROUND MY HEART.
KEEPER OF CLAY'S CHARM
ALWAYS AND FOREVER
Misha
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2006, 03:25:20 PM »

Speaking of hens....   A lil hen joke for my fellow hens in the hen house...

Hen #1 - I like a lil cockadoodle in the morning.  It helps to wake me up.

Hen #2 - A big one is better.

Thank goodness our rooster has a great co... ummm... okay, too rated-R there.

And with that, I'm off for the evening.  Cluck cluck... cluck cluck...
clayfannj
UltimateFan

Remember, CHEESE is a comfort food.

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2006, 03:40:37 PM »

I think part of the intrique and the draw of a  site  as this (nee window into Clay fandom) is the absolute uniqueness of this experience for each of us. Blame the internet, blame the REDHEAD, blame the estrogenesque need to share, network and talk.. Whatever it was it hit us universally and instantaneously..    CLAY......... AND WE WANTED MORE... Don't know where it comes from, but so many of us have said thanks to Clay there have been many FIRSTS
for us. They have led us to adventure, travel, new friendships and at times IMPULSIVITY..Things we never would have done before...

So it has been like a drug..

You 're familiar with the SKINNER BOX???

ThAT IS a device by a psychologist to  experiment using rats and a lever of food (or drugs) that they can have access to at will..Their behavior has been chartered.. Many experiments re: learning patterns.. anxiety etc....BUT THE KEY point and driving force was that...They  ALWAYS CAME BACK FOR MORE..and MORE..

I really believe The Clay experience has aped that ..for so many of us..

On the contrary there have been many things  that have happened  these 3 years in my life that I wish didn't occur and competed with my CLAY time..  Such is life..I've also filled it up with may responsibilities to people, organizations, and commitments, aside from just living a life of raising kids, supporting a family, nurturing friendships etc.. NO DIFFERENT THAN ANYONE ELSE..

Point is...I CHOSE to get as involved with CLAY fandom as I wished.. AND... as I have done my whole life managed  to weave it into who I am and  what I call it MY LIFE..

Has my fandom changed??

All relationships evolve..  :Your kids, your lovers, your husbands, your friends, your pets... The good ones only get deeper and better.

That's what has happened to me and  CLAY!! bigsmile

I miss him!!!

It's NEVER ENOUGH!!!

Honorary Southern Belle

OBSESSIVE BIRD WATCHER

Tracking the Red -Crested Warbler
"I may be old, but I'm strong and lusty!"..Wm. Shakespeare
WilsonClaymate
UltimateFan

The way you make me feel

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2006, 04:32:24 PM »

I haven't posted too much lately--I have been doing more lurking and now I know why.

Most of you who have been posting this afternoon and evening are so much more eloquent than I could ever be and I agree with most of what has been said.  We do love Clay and want more and more of him but I also believe that by being here at Claymaniacs we find out more than a lot of artists give their fans. 

Because we love him so much we want to know every little thing that is going on in his life.  This might get a little overwhelming to Clay because he does need his own space, even if we don't always think so.

I am just like most of you--I want a CD and tour NOW.  From what I have seen Clay really enjoys touring so I am sure he would if he could.  But this time he has to wait for the CD.  I also feel like Gwen in that I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get a tour until after the first of the year.  If he plans to do a major tour, I don't know if he could fit it in between now and the end of the year.  I certainly hope he can, because after seeing him several times the last two years, I really don't like the thought of not seeing him perform live this year.

I realize when I get started I tend to ramble and I'm sorry.  To sum this up:

I LOVE CLAY AIKEN

I LOVE CLAYMANIACS

I WANT A NEW CD & TOUR

So I can meet a lot more Claymaniacs and share the love and fun we have when we are here--united by Clay.

"For me he's not a hobby, he's not an obsession, he's a joy, something that makes me happy..."      ~cc777

I couldn't have said it better myself
Barbara
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2006, 07:26:24 PM »

07/14/06 / Winner of the NANA Contest
Congratulations to fan club member, santeyamor, winner of the NANA (New Album Name Acronym) contest! Santeyamor will receive an autographed copy of will receive an autographed copy of Clay Aiken's upcoming album (when available), a one-year membership renewal, a one-of-a-kind Clay Aiken buddy icon featuring the album acronym, and a congratulatory phone call from Clay himself!

Thanks to everyone who submitted acronyms -- there were some very good guesses and a few correct answers that came in just after the winning entry.

The winning acronym you ask? No, it's not C-L-A-Y! It's actually ATDW. Now that you've figured out the NANA (New Album Name Acronym), have fun pondering the actual album title! Posted by Team Clay

The best kind of friend is the one you could sit on a porch with, never saying a word, and walk away feeling like that was the best conversation you've had.
Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
paclayfan
Claymaniac

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2006, 07:31:28 PM »

Ah'm
Tired (of the)
Damn
Wait !
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2006, 07:34:16 PM »

07/14/06 / Winner of the NANA Contest
Congratulations to fan club member, santeyamor, winner of the NANA (New Album Name Acronym) contest! Santeyamor will receive an autographed copy of will receive an autographed copy of Clay Aiken's upcoming album (when available), a one-year membership renewal, a one-of-a-kind Clay Aiken buddy icon featuring the album acronym, and a congratulatory phone call from Clay himself!

Thanks to everyone who submitted acronyms -- there were some very good guesses and a few correct answers that came in just after the winning entry.

The winning acronym you ask? No, it's not C-L-A-Y! It's actually ATDW. Now that you've figured out the NANA (New Album Name Acronym), have fun pondering the actual album title! Posted by Team Clay

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Meesa TANKS!

I wonder what ATDW stands for...

any ideas?????

AI Forum Moderator
Yup, I think about Clay probably about as often as men think about sex.
"Half my butt is mac & cheese and the other half is Krispy Kreme..." Clay Aiken
Carpe Clayum-Seize the Clay
ILClaymate
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2006, 07:48:35 PM »

A Thousand Days Wait 
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2006, 07:51:03 PM »

A Throaty Deep Whisper

Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 101 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx