gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:52:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 214
Total: 214

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Class aims to increase fitness of disabled  (Read 1247 times)
Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« on: July 11, 2006, 10:30:45 AM »

By HEATHER HOLLINGSWORTH, Associated Press Writer
Mon Jul 10, 3:51 AM ET

MISSION, Kan. - Lee Jones' Down syndrome doesn't keep him from exercising — or from getting others to join in.

"I know some people with Down syndrome can be a bit overweight," said the 31-year-old fitness instructor, who leads a weekly class of seven to eight disabled people. "I'm trying to get them to shed off the pounds by taking the class."

About half the class participants have Down syndrome, a chromosomal glitch that causes a range of birth defects, including learning difficulties and an increased likelihood of heart problems and a sluggish thyroid. Others have conditions including cerebral palsy and Asperger syndrome, a form of autism.

Experts say classes like Jones' are too rare. Studies show the disabled are more likely to be out of shape and overweight, which may lead to health problems that can jeopardize their ability to live independently.

"They are closer to that margin of needing assistance to get around if they are deconditioned," said James H. Rimmer, director of the National Center on Physical Activity and Disability at the University of Illinois at Chicago.

Jones' class is especially important because traditional health clubs often ignore the disabled, Rimmer said.

The "Fitness with Lee" classes at the Sylvester Powell Jr. Community Center in this Kansas City suburb are part of a nearly 2-year-old program called the Mission Project.

Participants' parents, worried that their children would be stifled by living at home or in group homes, wrote grants and arranged for them to live near one another in Mission, which has access to groceries, jobs and necessities.

Parents decided exercise was a top priority for the dozen participants in the program, most of whom live in the same apartment complex.

Jones is a member of the board of the Atlanta-based National Down Syndrome Congress and has spoken to groups across the country about his experiences. Besides the class, he works 25 hours a week at jobs monitoring the weight room at the Mission community center and working as a front desk and fitness attendant at a nearby YMCA.

Some Mission Project participants were initially placed in regular classes, but those classes moved too fast and the disabled participants tended to cluster near the instructors.

Things improved when Jones took over in February.

"I think they want to be independent," said Scott Deschenes, the community center's program supervisor. "Having someone with their program teaching them gives them independence."

Jones approaches the task with the same organization and determination that helped him earn a college degree — an achievement that surprised even his parents.

"He exceeds our expectations in every way," said his father, Buddy Jones. "Lee does so much with the talent he has. I not only love him. I admire him."

Participants have little trouble following his tight routines. He urges them on with encouragements like, "You're looking good," or "Do not forget to breathe."

During a water break, 25-year-old Amelia Zang-Carta gushed about the class.

"I like him," said Zang-Carta, who has Asperger syndrome and is taking classes at a local community college. "I like how this class wakes me up."

YAHOO NEWS

“We cannot tell the precise moment when friendship is formed. As in filling a vessel drop by drop, there is at last a drop which makes it run over. So in a series of kindnesses there is, at last, one which makes the heart run over.” James Boswell
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx