gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:11:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 406
Total: 406

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recipe Swap Thread  (Read 64623 times)
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2006, 12:31:40 PM »

This casserole I have made for years.  It is the favorite of both my sons. They just love it and have been known to actually ask for it. Laughing

Beef Nacho Casserole:

1 lb. ground beef                                                 1 jar chunky salsa
1 cup whole kernel corn                                        3/4 cup of mayo
1 tbls. chili powder                                              2 cups crushed tortilla chip
2 cups shredded Mexican blend or Monterey Jack cheese (could use cheddar)
shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, sour cream, diced onions, etc. for topping

Brown beef and drain.  Stir in salsa, corn, chili powder, and mayo.  Spread 1/2 of meat mixture in the bottom of a large rectangular baking dish.  Cover with 1 cup of the crushed tortilla chips.  Cover the chips with 1 cup of the shredded cheese.  Repeat layers.  Bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees. When serving, pass around the above toppings and let your diners top as desired.

Clay "is" the "News"
When Words Fail--Let Music Speak
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2006, 10:53:31 AM »

My youngest son turned 16 on Wednesday.  There is no school today for the Veteran's Day Holiday.  He has 10 or so of his closest friends here for an overnight party.  Yep! They are staying up all night and playing games. Laughing My son does not like Birthday Cake because he does not like frosting.  After years of searching, I finally found a cake he really enjoys.  It is in the oven at this moment. Wink

Chocolate Sheet Cake

Put in saucepan and bring to boil:
1 stick margarine          4 tablespoons cocoa
1/2 cup cooking oil        1 cup water

Sift together:
2 cups flour                  2 cups sugar

Pour chocolate sauce over dry ingredients and mix well.  Then add:
1/2 cup buttermilk         1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs                         1 tsp baking soda

Pour into a greased broiler (or large jelly roll) pan. Bake 20 minutes at 400 degrees. 

While sheet cake is hot, frost with this frosting:
1 stick margarine         4 tablespoons cocoa
1/3 cup buttermilk        1 pound confectionary sugar (3 cups)
1 tsp vanilla                1/2 tsp salt

Bring margarine, buttermilk, and cocoa to boiling point.  Remove from heat and add rest of the ingredients.  Frost.  Enjoy.

Clay "is" the "News"
cl4clay
Enthusiastic

CLAY'S FAVORITE COOKIE CHEF

« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2006, 05:57:23 PM »

Prissy  = this is especially for you. Here is the best recipe for Pecan Pie Squares I've ever seen.

PECAN PIE SQUARES

2 CUPS FLOUR
     1/2 CUP SUGAR
     1/8 TSP. SALT
     3/4 CUP MARGARINE  OR BUTTER, CUT UP ( 1-1/2 STICKS)
     1 CUP FIRMLY PACKED BROWN SUGAR
      1 CUP LIGHT CORN SYRUP
     1/2 CUP MARGARINE OR BUTTER (ONE  STICK)
     4 LARGE EGGS, SLIGHTLY BEATEN
     2-1/2 CUPS CHOPPED PECANS
     1 TSP. VANILLA

COMBINE FLOUR, SUGAR AND SALT IN A LARGE BOWL; CUT 3/4 CUP BUTTER OR MARGARINE THOROUGHLY  WITH A
     PASTRY BLENDER UNTIL MIXURE RESEMBLES VERY FINE CRUMBS.  PRESS MIXTURE EVENLY INTO GREASED (i SPRAY ON  bAKER'S JOY) 9X13 PAN, USING A PIECE OF PLASTIC TO PRESS CRUMB MIXTURE FIRMLY IN PAN. TRY TO SPREAD THIS MIXTURE EVENLY AND THEN JUST PRESS DOWN. I DON'T USE THE PLASTIC, JUST MY HAND.

BAKE AT 350 DEGREES FOR 17-20 MINUTES OR UNTIL LIGHTLY BROWNED AROUND EDGES. COMBINE BROWN SUGAR, CORN SYRUP AND 1/2 CUP BUTTER IN SAUCEPAN.  BRING TO A BOIL OVER MEDIUM HEAT STIRRING GENTLY. BE SURE BUTTER HAD MELTED. REMOVE FROM HEAT, STIR AT LEAST 1/4 OF THIS HOT MIXTURE INTO THE BEATEN EGGS; THEN ADD THIS MIXTURE TO THE REMAINING HOT MIXTURE. ( THIS IS DONE TO KEEP THE EGGS FROM COOKING, SO BE SURE NOT TO LEAVE OUT THIS STEP.

STIR IN PECANS AND VANILLA.  POUR FILLING OVER CRUST.  BAKE AT 350 DEGREES FOR 35 MINUTES OR UNTIL SET.
COOL COMPLETELY IN PAN ON WIRE RACK. CUT INTO BARS.  (I  ACTUALLY REFRIGERATE THE PAN AND THEN CUT THEM THE NEXT DAY. THEY SEEM TO CUT BETTER ONCE IT HAS REALLY SET.   ALSO, AS SOON AS YOU TAKE THIS OUT OF THE OVEN RUN A SERRATED KNIFE ALL AROUND THE EDGE OF THE PAN. THIS WILL LOOSEN THE EDGES AND WILL BE EASIER TO TAKE OUT OF THE PAN WHEN COOLED.

HAVE FUN!!!!! HOPE YOU ENJOY!!!!!

CLAY'S PASTRY CHEF
Julie,JJ and Liz - Our OCD guardian angels
Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2006, 08:14:20 PM »

Evelyn,

The pecan squares recipe sounds delicious. I like the idea of refrigerating them before cutting them.  I may make these and Woody's pumpkin bread to take to our friends in East Texas for Thanksgiving!!

Deanna,
Chocolate sheet cake is one of my favorites.  I want to try this recipe,  too.  And the beef nacho casserole. Yummy!!

Hugs,
Prissy

Hug  *Prissy*   Music violin2 
Special memories of Julie, Joyce, Liz, Carol, Janet, Kris, and Debi
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2006, 02:58:43 PM »

The next recipe is one that I think I may have "invented" Laughing.  It is a takeoff from the Italian Wedding Soup and the Tortellini Soup recipes we all like here. I have made it several times and it is always a hit.

Italian Meatball and Tortellini Soup

1 medium onion, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced
1 to 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 lb of meatballs (precooked)
2 cans Chicken Stock
1/2 lb of frozen Cheese Tortellini
1 can of diced Italian Style Tomatoes
8 oz of frozen spinach

In a large soup pan (I use my Dutch Oven pan), fry the onions, peppers, and garlic until tender.  Add the meatballs and cooked until they are seared.  Add the Chicken Stock and Tortellini and simmer for 10 minutes until the Tortellini are tender.  Add the tomatoes and spinach and simmer until all is heated through. My Dad likes this with grated cheese on top.  I usually serve it with Garlic Bread and a salad.

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2006, 01:57:17 PM »

I have been making some Christmas Goodies today.  I made Peanut Butter Fudge, Angel Bars and Christmas Minglers.

Christmas Minglers:
6 oz chocolate bits                           6 cups of Crispix cereal
1/4 cup peanut butter                      1 cup of confectionary sugar

Peanuts, Christmas M & Ms, Raisinets, or any similar goody.

Melt the choc. bits in the microwave.  Start with about 1 minute and keep cooking for 30 seconds at a time until melted.  Stir in the peanut butter.  Coat the cereal with this mixture stirring carefully.  Put the conf. sugar in a large ziplock bag and add the cereal mixture.  Shake to coat all the cereal.  Add the assorted confections.  Enjoy!!

Angel Bars:
Make a pan of brownies ( I added some mini M & Ms).  Once cooled, spread a layer of Butter Cream frosting on top.  Cool in the fridge.
Then melt a square of chocolate with one or two tablespoons of butter.  Thinly spread this glaze on the frosting. Cool again.
They look nice because of the layers and they taste like an extra Yummy! brownie. Wink

Clay "is" the "News"
Mary
Claymaniac

« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2006, 12:44:50 AM »

This recipe I have been making for well over 20 years. I used to double it and freeze half for when the boys had company over.

It is called either Pizza Dip or Cheese Fondue. Pizza Dip change at end.

Cheese Fondue

1/4 lb ground beef
1/4 chopped onion or 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 10 1/2 jar of Pizza Quick sauce
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon oregano
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup (4 oz) grated cheddar
1/2 cup (2 oz) grated mozzarella
1 loaf french bread, cubed

Brown ground beef and onion, drain fat and transfer to a microwave safe bowl.
Mix in sauce, cornstarch and seasonings.
Heat in microwave. (This can be done on the stovetop also.)
When sauce is hot add the cheese about 1/3 third at a time. Cook for 1 minute after each addition or until cheese is melted. Transfer to a fondue pot.
Serve with French bread cubes.

Pizza Dip

When I first started making this I just heated it in a bowl because I didn't want the little ones anywhere around a fondue pot. One time I added 4 oz mozzarella instead of two and still do it today.

This freezes well for a few months.

LadyC
Adults
Enthusiastic

I heart the tabloid media.

« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2006, 12:19:50 PM »

I'm a lazy butt and didn't read back, so this may be repetitive ... but does anyone have a good meatloaf recipe?   bigsmile

Aunt Em,
Hate you.  Hate Kansas.  Taking the dog.
~Dorothy

fhmmany2
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

Clay's Magazine Maniac

« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2007, 07:58:23 PM »

I duplicated a recipte from a favorite restaurant of ours this week, and have had several requests for it, so here goes: (I call it Galley Chicken, becasue the name of the restaurant is Fishermans' Galley)

Three skinless, boneless chicken breasts
Cajun or all-purpose seasoning (depending upon how much you like pepper!)
6 strips of bacon
One small can of sliced mushrooms
Three slices of the cheese of your choice!

Sprinkle chicken breast with seasoning, and broil the chicken breasts 2 minutes on each side to seal in the juices. Lower oven to 350 degrees, and change the setting to bake. Bake chicken uncovered until done (in my oven that took about 30 minutes - yours may take a little less). While the chicken is cooking, cook the bacon in the microwave (not too done, because it will cook a little more in the oven later). Drain the mushrooms and cover each chicken breast with the mushrooms - cover this with 2 slices of bacon, and top with a slice of cheese. Return to the oven until the cheese melts, and serve!

Memories of Julie, jj, Liz, Carol, Janet, and Debi Make Me Smile - I Was Lucky To Have Known Them!
I Met Clay In Atlanta On 8/2/05 - Life Is Good!
Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2007, 03:24:49 PM »

We had our family Christmas at one of my sister's on Christmas Eve.  Another sister brought Punch Bowl Cake.  Pepe asked about this dessert and my sister gave me the recipe with variations.

PUNCH BOWL CAKE

Yellow cake mix
3 small pkgs Vanilla Pudding
1 can of Cherry Pie Filling*
1 can of drained crushed pineapple (large)
12 ounce Cool Whip

Bake up the cake as directed in two 8" round pans.  Cool.
Prepare the vanilla puddings as directed on the packages.

In the Punch Bowl, place one layer of the cake;  top with half of the vanilla pudding;  top with half of the cherry pie filling;  top with half of the drained crushed pineapple;  top with half of the Cool Whip.  Then place the second layer  cake on the Cool Whip, and repeat all of the layers.  End with the Cool Whip and garnish with chopped pecans or cherries.

You could half the ingredients and place in a Trifle Dish.

*My sister said they really like the cherry flavor, so she uses 2 cans of cherry pie filling (one can for each layering.)

Because this makes such a huge dessert, it would be good for a Pot Luck or a big family gathering.

(Clickable)

Hug  *Prissy*   Music violin2 
Special memories of Julie, Joyce, Liz, Carol, Janet, Kris, and Debi
Beth
Enthusiastic

« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2007, 07:21:56 PM »

Kris, I have a really good Meatloaf Recipe:

2 lbs Ground Chuck
1/2 lb Ground Pork
1/2 lb Ground Veal
2 Eggs
4 T minced onion (dried)
1 t salt
1 t fresh ground pepper
1 1/2 t garlic powder
1 1/2 c milk
2 c Progresso Italian Bread Crumbs
3 slices of Bacon

Place meatloaf mix in a large bowl, add all ingredients and blend.  Mixture should be moist.  If it looks too dry add more milk.  If it's too moist add more bread crumbs.  Spray baking pan w/ Pam.  Add meat, shaped into a loaf, topped with bacon.  I usually form 2 meatloafs.  Brown in a Preheat 400 degree oven.  Cook until brown (about 30 minutes).  Turn heat to 350 degrees.  Can add carrots and potatoes if desired.  As meat browns, add water.

If you like potatoes and carrots with your meatloaf
1st hour - meatloaf alone uncovered
2nd hour - add potatoes (peeled and cut in half) and carrots (peeled), salt and pepper, and water.  Cover
Last half hour - take lid off to brown potatoes.

It takes a long time, but it is really good and worth the wait.  Smile

Oh, can't you see it baby; You've got me goin' Crazy
Wherever you go; Whatever you do
I will be right here waiting for you

*Never let the fear of striking out, keep you from playing the game!
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2007, 11:05:28 AM »

Frankie, that chicken sounds yummy and pretty easy!!  I might have to try it. Wink

Prissy, I am always looking for recipes I can make in my trifle dish.  I think I might just try that one. Laughing

Kris, I see Beth has shared a great sounding meatloaf recipe with us.  I am going to share one that I use alot:
(mostly because it is easy  bigsmile)

1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1/2 cup of medium cracker crumbs (I sometimes use Ritz crackers because I like their buttery flavor in this dish)
1 beaten egg
1 8 oz can tomato sauce (I usually substitute BBQ sauce because I like a little extra pizzazz)
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 to 3 tablespoons finely chopped green pepper
1 tsp salt
ground pepper to taste
parsley flakes to taste

I just mix and spread into a greased bread pan.  I cook about an hour at 375.

Here is a great topping for meatloaf:
2 tablespoons catsup
1 tablespoon light corn syrup

You just combine the 2 and brush on the meat loaf when there is about 15 minutes left to bake.

Clay "is" the "News"
Beth
Enthusiastic

« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2007, 03:25:10 PM »

Your Meatloaf recipe sounds good  Smile.  I'll have to give it a try  Smile

Tammy
Enthusiastic

I LOVE MY PUGS

« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2007, 03:43:19 PM »

Kris

I have a good and easy meatloaf recipe..  Just take some ground hamburger and add some egg, bread crumbs and  a small jar of  salsa.. It comes out moist and delicious.. Good luck!

I LOVE MY PUGS! :heartburst 

Baby Dust JEWELS, LIZSIS AND JJ~OUR SPARKLING GEMS FROM HEAVEN Baby Dust
LadyC
Adults
Enthusiastic

« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2007, 04:50:53 PM »

Thanks, everybody, for the yummy recipes!  They all sound good!  I'll have to try them and see which one is hubby's favorite.   Laughing

Frankie - That chicken sounds fantastic!  Chicken is my favorite.  We'll be trying that one for sure.

Prissy - LOVE that dessert idea!  How cute!  That would be adorable for a baby shower, too.  Use a little jello to color the Cool Whip!  I love it!

Aunt Em,
~Dorothy

LadyC
Adults
Enthusiastic

« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2007, 12:56:02 PM »

Okay, the meatloafs were a huge success!   yay  Thank you all so much!  I tried three different kinds and even found one that Chayse likes!  A happy hubby is a nice hubby.   Laughing

Now I'm searching for more recipes from you amazing chefs.  Y'all have so many talents!

I know it's an odd time of year for these requests, but here goes anyway...

I'm looking for a good potato salad recipe.  One that doesn't include any pickles or seafood flavoring.  (My sister puts tiny shrimp in EVERYTHING!!!  Roll eyes)  I love the pickle or sweet relish flavor in potato salad, but hubby hates it.

Next, a good chicken salad recipe.

And lastly, does anybody have a nice sloppy joe recipe?  I'm not a big tomato fan, so I'm not too crazy over the Manwich stuff or the crap made mostly from tomato paste.  Some tomato is good, of course...

So ... ladies ... what'd ya got for me?   bigsmile

Aunt Em,
~Dorothy

clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2007, 10:40:41 AM »

Kris, I am going to let everyone here in on a little secret. Wink  I buy the rotisserie chickens whenever they are on sale at the supermarket.  I used to grumble because I thought they were too expensive.  Then my hubby pointed out that we always get at LEAST 2 meals out of them.  The first night we usually just have the chicken with some Stove Top Stuffing and cranberry sauce.  It is a complete meal done in about 5 minutes!! I love that.  Smile It is the perfect meal for whenever there is no time for cooking. Laughing

We always seem to have lots of chicken left over even though we've eaten our full the first night.  I then make some chicken salad with the rest.  I just debone and chop the chicken.  I add small diced onions and green peppers.  My secret ingredient is celery salt. I probably use about 1/2 teaspoon, but I have never measured it. Laughing  I mix with mayo and add salt and pepper.  This is good in rolls topped with lettuce, too.

My potato salad is really an egg and potato salad. When I cook my potatoes I cut them up into small chunks to start with.  They cook much faster and you don't need to cut them again that way. I usually toss my eggs right in the boiling water with the potatoes and cook them all together.  Can you tell that I like short cuts when cooking.  bigsmile I usually add diced onions, green peppers and cucumber slices. Sometimes I add sliced green olives.  I mix with mayo and season with salt, pepper, and celery salt.  I usually save some of the sliced egg for a garnish on top and sprinkle with a little paprika for color. My recipe isn't very exciting, but it is what my family likes. shrug
(For a little extra pizzazz in potato salad, mix a couple of teaspoons of mustard into the mayo.)

I am looking for a chicken with brocolli casserole recipe.  The one I tried at a Pot Luck supper had stuffing on top.  Anyone have this? 

Clay "is" the "News"
Beth
Enthusiastic

« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2007, 12:04:09 PM »

I am really liking this thread  Smile.

Chicken and Broccoli Casserole

2 pkg Frozen Broccoli
2 pkg Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast - cooked and cubed
2 cans of Chicken Soup
2/3 cup Mayonaise
1 tsp Lemon juice
1/2 cup Shredded American Cheese
1/2 cup Progresso Italian Bread Crumbs
Butter

cook broccoli, drain, put broccoli in greased baking dish.  place chicken on top. combine next 3 ingredients.  pour over chicken.  sprinkle with crumbs.  dot w/ butter.  Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.  6 Servings.

I always sprinkle the shredded cheese on each individual plate after it's out of the oven.  It will still be hot enough for the cheese to melt.  Our family is just me and Dave that eats it, so I always buy just 1 bag of frozen broccoli and use 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts.  I keep the rest of the ingredients the same. 

clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2007, 01:01:26 PM »

Thanks Beth!!

I am going to try this tomorrow.  I will let you know what my family thinks. Wink

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2007, 10:59:49 AM »

Being on this thread has motivated me to organize my recipes this weekend.  While doing that, I found this:

Super Sloppy Joes

2 pounds ground beef   
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 celery ribs chopped
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1 2/3 cups canned crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tbls brown sugar
1 tbls vinegar
1 tbls Worcestershire sauce
1 tbls steak sauce
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp ground mustard
1/4 tsp paprika
8 to 10 hamburger buns

In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook beef, onion, celery, and green pepper until meat is no longer pink and the veggies are tender. Drain. Add the next nine ingredients; mix well. Simmer, uncovered for 35-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Spoon 1/2 cup meat mixture onto each bun.

(Kris, I would think you could easily cut back on the tomatoes here and it would probably not have to cook so long if you did.)

Clay "is" the "News"
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx