gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:42:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 465
Total: 465

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recipe Swap Thread  (Read 64640 times)
Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2006, 08:33:12 PM »

Most Wednesdays, Skip and I eat supper at our church.  In fact, Skip works in the kitchen and helps prepare the food and stays to clean up the kitchen.

We had this wonderful dessert with ice cream sandwiches.  Here is one recipe for it.

Ice Cream Sandwich Dessert

No one will believe this awesome dessert is just dressed-up ice cream sandwiches!

19 ice cream sandwiches
1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed.
1 jar (11.75 oz) hot fudge ice cream topping
1 cup salted peanuts (optional)

Cut one ice cream sandwish in half. Place one whole and one half sandwich along a short side of an ungreased 13"x9"x2" pan. Arrange eight sandwiches in opposite direction in the pan. Spread with half of the whipped topping. Spoon fudge topping by teaspoonsfulls on to whipped topping. , sprinkle with 1/2 cup peanuts, if desired. Repeat layers with remaining
ice cream sandwiches, toppings and peanuts.
(Pan will be full.) Cover and freeze up to 2 months.
Remove from the freezer 20 minutes before serving.
Cut into squares. Yield 12-15 servings.

This sounds like an easy recipe that children might like to help make.
 (I think chocolate syrup could sub for the hot fudge topping and might be easier for kids to use.  I could also see adding caramel syrup, too!)

Prissy

Hug  *Prissy*   Music violin2 
Special memories of Julie, Joyce, Liz, Carol, Janet, Kris, and Debi
Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2006, 09:11:08 PM »

I love candy corn and popcorn balls.  Last October a friend brought candy corn popcorn balls for a treat to our Sunday School.  Here is a light recipe for them.

Candy Corn Popcorn Balls

From  COOKING LIGHT 

If kids are helping shape these treats, make sure the marshmallow mixture is cool enough for them to handle. Store the confections in an airtight container for up to three days.

8 cups popped light butter microwave popcorn (about 1 [3-ounce] bag)
1 cup candy corn
1/4 cup butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (10-ounce) bag marshmallows
 Cooking spray

Combine popcorn and candy corn in a large bowl.
Melt 1/4 cup butter in a large saucepan over medium heat; stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt and (10-ounce) bag marshmallows. Reduce heat to low; cook for 7 minutes or until the marshmallows melt and the mixture is smooth, stirring frequently.

Pour marshmallow mixture over popcorn mixture, stirring to coat well. Lightly coat hands with cooking spray; shape popcorn mixture into 20 (2-inch) balls.

Yield: 20 servings (serving size: 1 popcorn ball)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 212(12% from fat); FAT 2.9g (sat 1.6g,mono 0.1g,poly 0.1g); PROTEIN 0.5g; CHOLESTEROL 6mg; CALCIUM 1mg; SODIUM 73mg; FIBER 0.4g; IRON 0.1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 47.6g

woodstock854
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

"I need help!!!"

« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2006, 09:23:56 AM »

Prissy had asked for a Pumpkin Bread recipe, and this is one from my Betty Crocker cookbook that I have used for years, since it always comes out so good!!!  I make it for the Bake Sale at our church and they always sell!!!

PUMPKIN BREAD

2/3 cup shortening
2 2/3 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 can (1 pound) pumpkin
2/3 cup water
3 1/3 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cloves
2/3 cup coarsely chopped nuts
2/3 cup raisins

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease two 9x5x3 inch loaf pans or three 8 1/2x4 1/2x2 1/2 inch loaf pans.  In large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until fluffy.  Stir in eggs, pumpkin, and water.  Blend in flour, soda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and cloves.  Stir in nuts and raisins.

Pour into pans.  Bake about 70 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.

* Note:  I personally don't like raisins, so I never put them in.  I also don't think the pumpkin would taste as good with raisins in the bread.  JMO.  I also don't usually put nuts in , but many people enjoy nuts in their breads.

Enjoy!!!
Woodstock

"There's something about the way I can't take my eyes off you...  There's something about the way your lips invite..."
Julie, jj, Liz, Carol and Janet are our Guardian Angels
"My faith has conquered fear, on my way here."
OCD Support Group Founder
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2006, 04:16:43 PM »

My Mom's birthday is Monday.  My folks are coming for dinner Friday night.  Every year, I make her an "orange-flavored" cake because that is what she always wants. I have tried orange chiffon-type cakes.  I have tried orange angel food cakes.  I have tried orange mandarin cakes. I always have fun decorating the orange cakes because her birthday is so close to Halloween that the "theme" is obvious and works well. Laughing  (I tell her she was VERY close to being born a witch.  bigsmile) This year,  I am going to try the recipe Prissy posted on page 2 of this thread.  Wish me luck!! Fingers Crossed

Clay "is" the "News"
When Words Fail--Let Music Speak
Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2006, 07:07:00 PM »

Deanna,

Here is another version of the orange marmalade cake.   Click on to....

Orange Marmalade Cake

Let us know how it turns out!!

Hugs,
Prissy

clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2006, 03:44:35 PM »

Thanks very much, Prissy!!  This is how it turned out:

And, yeah, my Mother really loved it!!  Clapping Clapping

It is very yummy.  Drool It is really, really moist with all that "syrup" added to the cake.  The cake weighed a ton when I got done. Laughing

The only problem I had was getting the cakes out of the pans.  Paranoid  I had studied the recipe before I started and had guessed that this would be an issue, so I had greased the pans and then put wax paper in the pans and then greased and floured the wax paper.  The cake still wanted to stay in the pans because the syrup had run, of course. argh!  I did manage to get the cakes out (and all in one piece  Smile) with some extra effort.  bigsmile

Clay "is" the "News"
Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2006, 04:05:33 PM »

Clapping Deanna! Clapping

Your marmalade cake looks marvelous!  I'm so glad it was good and your mother loved it.  I can understand it would be a heavy cake!!

Esther Bollick (character from the Mitford books), would be proud! bigsmile

Hugs,
Prissy

woodstock854
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

"I need help!!!"

« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2006, 06:03:49 AM »

Deanna,
Beautiful job on the cake!!!  Clapping  I have wanted to try it but it just seemed so difficult.  Your pictures are just mouth-watering!!!  Maybe I WILL try it one of these days.   bigsmile  Thanks for sharing.
Woodstock

"There's something about the way I can't take my eyes off you...  There's something about the way your lips invite..."
Julie, jj, Liz, Carol and Janet are our Guardian Angels
"My faith has conquered fear, on my way here."
OCD Support Group Founder
Pepe
Enthusiastic

PEPPY CHEF

« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2006, 09:21:46 AM »

CONGRATS ON MAKING THAT MARMALADE CAKE!  Good for you and it looks just like the cake in the Mitford Cookbook.  I wondered about getting the cake out of the pans also.  You should be proud of yourself.  My one question is "Is the cake really sweet?"

Beautiful Memories of Beautiful Lives!  Remembering:
Liz, Julie, JJ, Carol, YDebi, Janet, Kris
ANGELA
Enthusiastic

A FAN FROM MASSACHUSETTS SUPPORTING CLAY 110%

« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2006, 10:29:05 AM »

DEANNA, THE CAKE IS SO BEAUTIFUL--- Clapping Clapping--IT EVEN LOOKS TOO PRETTY TO EAT. 

"BE HAPPY,TRY YOUR BEST & LET GOD TAKE CARE OF THE REST"
"LIZ, JULIE, JJ & CAROL OUR 4 SHINING ANGELS" "SUPPORTING CLAY 110% SINCE DAY ONE"    "
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2006, 04:33:29 PM »

Thanks everyone!! It wasn't the easiest cake I have ever made, but I think it was worth the little extra effort because my Mom was impressed with it. Wink  I even let her take the cake home with her.  Smile My cake dish has a glass dome top and the cake almost hit the sides and top. Laughing  (I hope my Mom brings back my dish  )

My one question is "Is the cake really sweet?"
Actually, it wasn't as sweet as you might think.  The orange juice syrup gives it a little tartness (as well as the marmalade) and the whip cream frosting has sour cream in it, so it was both "tart" and "sweet".  Overall, I would say that is one of the interesting flavor sensations when eating it.  bigsmile

Clay "is" the "News"
ILClaymate
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2006, 07:47:44 AM »

Today for Halloween, we had a GROSS goodie day at work.  I brought 'Pigeon Poop.'  It is really good and addicting.  It is very EASY which is the only way I'll cook anything since I hate to cook!  :grin  Here's the recipe.

Pigeon Poop

5 cups Cap't Crunch Peanut Butter Crunch cereal
3 cups Rice Krispies
2 cups skinny stick pretzels (broke in half)
2 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
2 lbs. white chocolate/almond bark

Melt the white chocolate.  Mix the dry ingredients together.  Pour melted chocolate over dry ingredients and mix together.  Spread onto wax paper to cool.  Break into pieces when set up (doesn't take long).

CT loves Clay
Enthusiastic

Clay can sing to me anytime, anywhere!!

« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2006, 08:05:27 AM »

Prissy, do you think that Marmalade cake could be done with a yellow cake mix?

Clandy,   that recipe looks good.  I love eating pigeon poop.    Laughing

I printed out a lot of recipes today.

Clay friends are like fresh air
JJ, Julie and Liz: angels while on earth and now God's angels in heaven.
Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2006, 10:26:34 AM »

Clandy,
Your pigeon poop sounds good.  I will have to try it.

For someone who cooks as infrequently as I do, I have quite a few recipes in this thread!! Laughing

Linda,
I don't know why you couldn't use a yellow cake mix for this recipe.  It would simplify  it.  I believe in cake mixes.  Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines are two of my dearest friends!! bigsmile

Hugs,
Prissy

Pepe
Enthusiastic

PEPPY CHEF

« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2006, 10:46:59 AM »

CLANDY, thanks for the Pigeon Poop recipe!   Very interesting!!!

LINDA, the only thing with the cake mix is that it only makes two layers and I believe it calls for three layers of cake.  I also am like Prissy I like cake mixes and Duncan Hines is my favorite. 

Beautiful Memories of Beautiful Lives!  Remembering:
Liz, Julie, JJ, Carol, YDebi, Janet, Kris
Mary
Claymaniac

« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2006, 10:16:12 PM »

These recipes look so good. I'll have to to try them soon.

Brian has my recipe for Apple Pie. Last week he called from an apple orchard asking what where the best apples for a pie. In our area they are Northern Spy. We can't get them in the supermarket but Norm always picks them up in his travels.

We grew at our old house Jonathan apples and I made pies with them. Oh, they were sickey sweet at first bite but by the time you were half way through a slice you could never imagine anything better.
Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2006, 08:43:09 AM »

Mary,

You've got my mouth watering for one of your apple pies.  You know your apples, too.   I know we have Washington and Delicious apples here;  possibly Jonathan, too.  What are the green apples?

I asked my husband if he knew of other apples that we have here and he said, "In our house, we have Apple IIe, Mackintosh G3, G4 PowerBook or G5."  I think he has computers on the brain!!

Hugs,
Prissy

PS:  Did you ever decide on an avatar?

Mary
Claymaniac

« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2006, 03:21:18 PM »

Prissy, I did save a picture that I liked. I just lost my last post.
Again. Better quit while I can.
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2006, 03:30:43 PM »

I had company for dinner again last night, so I decided to do a Mexican Night
I made Beefy Tortilla Soup, Chicken Enchiladas, Beef and Bean Chimichangas, and Beef Nacho Casserole.
We ate in courses because I had so much food when I was done. Laughing  We started with this soup, which was very good. Wink

Beefy Tortilla Soup Recipe:

1 to 1 1/2 lbs, ground beef (or turkey)
1 14-15 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 four ounce can diced green chile peppers
2 15 ounce cans kidney beans
1 cup water
1 package Taco seasoning mix
1 package Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix
1 cup frozen corn (can use 1 can of corn, drained)

Brown beef and remove fat.  In soup pot or crock pot (I went with the crock pot), add browned beef and all remaining soup ingredients. I cooked for 6 hours on low.  If cooking on the stove, simmer for 45 minutes.

To serve:
Crush a handful of Tortilla Chips and place in the bottom of bowl.  Top with Soup.  Sprinkle with shredded Mexican Cheese blend and a dollop of sour cream.

*note:  I only used part of a can of chile peppers because a few of my guests didn't like food that is too spicy.  I used only one can of the kidney beans because my son isn't fond of beans.*

Clay "is" the "News"
Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2006, 06:58:33 PM »

Now, Deanna, you can't stop there with only the tortilla soup recipe!!

We want the Chicken Enchiladas, Beef and Bean Chimichangas, and Beef Nacho Casserole recipes, too! Wink

That soup does sound delicious!! bigsmile

Hugs,
Prissy

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx