gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:49:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 385
Total: 385

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Music Industry News  (Read 25947 times)
quynn
UltimateFan

Nobody Special

« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2007, 06:22:30 PM »

I can certainly understand the feelings of many pop fans who think they've been a bit cheated in having the music industry give its top awards to music with such little radio airplay. However, I think the backlash against radio is part of the point of the awards.

I found this very interesting and wanted to share.  I participate in Rate The Music surveys.  Several days ago I received an e-mail invitation to participate in an online survey for the Dixie Chicks' song "Not Ready To Make Nice".  The questions asked were along the lines of....."Like A Lot", "Like Some", "So, So", "Dislike", "Dislike A Lot".  "Why did you like or dislike the song?"  "Would you expect to hear this song on your favorite radio station?"  "Would you like to hear this song on your favorite radio station?"  "Would you like to hear more music from this artist?"  "Do you intend to buy music from this artist?"

Considering this song has been out since summer of 2006, I found it really interesting that Rate The Music was doing a survey about wanting to hear this song on the radio now.  Maybe the big win for the Chicks is causing some radio stations to reconsider their boycot?  It's awesome that a song can win a grammy without prior radio cred.  I don't listen to country radio, so if any who does hears the song being played in the near future, please post about it.  Thanks!

"You're a mystery. You have your own look. There is something very magical about your look and your voice is so pure." --Gladys Knight--
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2007, 07:20:36 PM »

Hey, this is a perfect opportunity for this!

pigsfly

I bought the DCX CD last summer.  I have one other by them, Wide Open Spaces, and I bought that one because I love that song. 

I bought Taking the Long Way based on two songs, Lullaby and Easy Silence.  Honestly, I don't care about their politics.  I believe they, or any other American has a right to say their piece, and I also believe that everyone has a right to not buy their CDs. 

But no one has a right to censor them, or any other artist.  Heck, listen to Neil Young's latest CD if you really want to get subversive!  Laughing

Anyway, my taste in country music runs to kd lang, Lyle Lovett, Dwight Yoakum, DCX, Allison Kraus, and my main man, Johnny Cash.  Therefore, I don't listen to country radio either, cause you won't hear those folks on there to be sure!  Laughing

But, if country radio plays the Chix, it will be a financial decision only.  If they are surveying for the CD, I think they want to see if the country radio listening public has changed their opinion about them, in line with the prevailing attitude about the state of US politics.

My bet is that you won't hear the Chix on country radio any time soon.

But you just might hear them on adult contemporary. 

pigsfly
Misha
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2007, 02:30:26 PM »

Thought this was an interesting article about Payola.

Radio broadcasters to pay $12.5M, give indie tunes some play 
Updated 4h 17m ago | Comments3 | Recommend13 E-mail | Save | Print |   

WASHINGTON (AP) — Exasperated listeners weary of hearing the same songs over and over on the radio may have something to cheer about: a pair of innovative deals that could shake up the music playlists of some of the nation's largest radio-station chains.

More to read here...  http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/2007-03-05-payola_N.htm
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2007, 10:33:42 AM »

Thanks Misha!  That WAS very interesting.

But I ain't holding my breath for the stations around here to change much.  The Top 40 station is very static in their playlist, and the AC station seems a few years behind the times IMHO....

But we'll see. 

Misha
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2007, 02:10:53 PM »

I wouldn't hold my breath either.  I suspect we will find only rare occurrences when they actually play music WE like.
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2007, 07:20:03 AM »

Starbucks Launches Record Label
By CURT WOODWARD, Associated Press Writer
Tue Mar 13, 8:11 AM

SEATTLE - Starbucks Corp.'s push into entertainment moved further from the coffeehouse shelves Monday as the company launched a record label based on its existing Hear Music brand.

The world's largest specialty coffee retailer said it would partner with Concord Music Group, which controls several other labels and helped Starbucks sell the Grammy-winning "Genius Loves Company," an album of Ray Charles duets.

Now, rather than basically lending the Starbucks brand to an album, the Los Angeles-based Hear Music label will sign its own artists and sell records through Starbucks stores and other retailers.

"We're not setting this up so that Starbucks stores would have any advantage over other retailers," said Ken Lombard, president of Starbucks Entertainment.

Officials refused to say whether the label had signed any artists, but said they would welcome both emerging and established musicians.

Seattle-based Starbucks has been extending its brand beyond the world of coffee in recent years to embrace music, books and even a movie, "Akeelah and the Bee."

The company also has opened four hybrid Hear Music Coffeehouses, where customers can purchase music from thousands of titles and burn the selections to CDs, and it has a branded page at Apple Inc.'s online iTunes store.

Starbucks' brand strategy, however, has been publicly debated in recent weeks, following a leaked memo from Chairman Howard Schultz that lamented a loss of authenticity as Starbucks expanded to some 13,000 stores worldwide.

In the e-mail to top Starbucks executives, Schultz said various changes over the years have led to "the watering down of the Starbucks experience, and what some might call the commoditization of our brand."

Some may now question whether launching a record label is the right move for Starbucks, said Dan Geiman, an analyst with McAdams Wright Ragen.

But music always has been close to what Starbucks sees as the identity of its brand, even though it remains a relatively small business, generally about 1 percent of all sales, he said.

"I think it's going to be kind of viewed as something that's going to detract from the experience and gets away from their core. But I don't necessarily think that's the case," Geiman said.

The record label expansion is sure to prompt more questions about whether Starbucks will begin offering digital downloading stations at its stores, Geiman said. Lombard said the company was focused mainly on the success of its iTunes page.

Starbucks and Concord said the label "advocates creative control for artists and encourages musicians to stretch and take risks."

Recording artists also should like the idea of a built-in audience in Starbucks stores, particularly at a time when digital downloading has created "a stressful time for the music industry," said Glen Barros, president of Concord Music Group.

"This is a pretty powerful new platform, when you can reach 44 million customers per week through Starbucks' stores," Barros said.

Lombard will lead management of the new label, working with Barros and reporting to a management committee made up of officials from both companies.

Starbucks shares fell 24 cents, or 0.8 percent, to close at $30.07 Monday on the Nasdaq Stock Market. The shares added 5 cents in after-hours trading.

Comcast

If Clay ever signs with this label, he'll have to stay away from the actual coffee.  Laughing
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2007, 06:32:04 PM »

McCartney Signed to New Starbucks Label
Mar 21, 2:39 PM EST
The Associated Press

SEATTLE -- Paul McCartney was introduced Wednesday as the first artist signed to Starbucks Corp.'s new record label.

The former Beatle made an appearance via a video feed from London at the company's annual meeting.

The world's largest specialty coffee retailer announced earlier this month that it was partnering with Concord Music Group to launch the Los Angeles-based Hear Music label.

The McCartney announcement is another big step for Seattle-based Starbucks' attempts to spin part of its consumer appeal into the entertainment business. The coffeehouse chain already has produced and sold some albums, markets books, and helped develop a feature-length movie.

Hear Music has been used as a brand on other releases developed for sale in Starbucks stores. The coffee giant also has a branded page on Apple Inc.'s iTunes digital music store, and a handful of hybrid music-and-coffee stores that allow customers to burn tracks to CDs.

Concord, which controls several other labels, helped Starbucks sell the Grammy-winning "Genius Loves Company," an album of Ray Charles duets.

MSN.com

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2007, 07:01:34 AM »

Perspective: Where did the music industry go so wrong?
By Patrick Faucher

Wasn't it all so gloriously simple back when people listened to top 40 radio and obediently paid $20 for discs at record store chains?

Labels set the deal terms for artists. Managers handled the "biz." The touring circuits were maintained by well-mannered warlords that politely divvied up the venues. And everyone had their place in the pond.

So where did it all go wrong with the music business? Somehow, the pond became stagnant over time, mucked up with greed, laziness, contempt and excess. People got bored with music. Then, someone threw a rock into the middle of it called the Internet, and nothing will ever be the same. Today, anyone can hum a tune, mix it with a rhythm track and some samples on their Mac at home, put it up on MySpace.com, and end up with a publishing deal from Moby, which will then sell it to the next Super Bowl sponsor.

The industry has become decentralized. Major labels no longer have the market muscle or control over the distribution channels as they once did. Technology and consumer choice have caused a shift from the traditional music business model of major labels throwing copious amounts of money behind a few big hits to that of a vast collection of individual artists creating pockets of more moderate success among passionate fan bases.

This shift requires a different approach to the development and monetization of music by the producers and promoters--one that more directly resembles that of more traditional venture-backed business. The entrepreneurs (artists) create new intellectual property (music, artistic brand) that has a demonstrated market (fans) that is robust enough to attract investors (for example, a label) that wants to own some equity in that IP and wishes to put money into the asset to enable it to engage in value-building activities (distribution, merchandising, licensing, and so on). Oddly enough, this "new" model is, in fact, not new.

We've all heard of The Grateful Dead, Phish, Ani DiFranco, Aimee Mann and the Barenaked Ladies. These great artists have grassroots beginnings. They all employed clever uses of the technology available to them at the time to find fans and create direct distribution channels (from bootleg cassettes and toll-free phone orders to MP3s and e-mail distributions). Using these methods, these "artist-entrepreneurs" have circumvented the traditional channel gatekeepers and have blazed a trail for the rank-and-file working artists and the weekend warriors to follow.

Now all serious artists need to conduct themselves as entrepreneurs engaged in building a business, not just playing and selling music. There are many tools and services out there that artists can use to help them sell. Still, it's not enough to put up a MySpace page and get a song on iTunes. They need to build a brand that has long-term value. They need to own that brand and their customers outright. There is a need for artist platforms that make this process more efficient so the economics make sense. Those solutions increasingly are becoming available.

Investors--including the major labels--need to understand the intricate partnership role they play in development. It's no longer about throwing money into the ether, marketing to no one in particular, and seeking only mega-hit payouts. It's about patience and commitment and focus. The labels--or their successors--need to get down to sea level, pick up an oar, and help row with the artist into this new ocean of opportunity.

CNetNews.com
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2007, 06:34:24 AM »

Justin Timberlake Launches Record Label
May 30, 6:46 PM EST

Justin Timberlake, music star and movie star, is aiming to add another glittering line to his resume — star maker.

The pop singer will sign artists and release their music through a new record label he's heading that's a joint venture with Universal Music Group's Interscope Geffen A&M label group.

"We are all excited about the talent we have to offer already on our roster, and I cannot wait to introduce the world to my new discoveries," Timberlake said in a statement issued Monday.

Timberlake will serve as chairman and chief executive of the new label, dubbed Tennman Records, which will be based in Los Angeles and distributed globally by Interscope.

Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Day-to-day operations will be handled by Ken Komisar, a former vice president at Sony BMG Music Entertainment, who was named president at Tennman.

Timberlake's first two solo albums — 2002's "Justified" and last year's "FutureSex/LoveSound s" — have sold more than 13 million copies combined.

He's currently on the big screen, at least his voice is, in the mega-hit "Shrek the Third."

MSN.com
tiff
UltimateFan

« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2007, 07:30:06 AM »

I was watching the news yesterday and I learned that the Sam The Record Man in downtown Toronto is closing down. I was a little bit sad to see this store go because they promoted a lot of canadian and independent music. Plus, it was practically a landmark downtown.

They said the store was closing down because it was going out of business. People simply aren't buying music as much as they used to. I have to be honest, I can't say this bothers me (well it does a little, I'm going to have to walk a little bit farther to buy cds  argh!). The music industry is a multi-million dollar business. It's massive. It's also half the reason why our society is so media-dominated. The way I see it, having this particular store go out of business is a teeny tiny sign that the music business is going down (I know, I know, this one change is so insignificant to the entire business, but it's the principle of the matter!). I think celebrities make more money than they should. And if celebrities are getting paid that much, how much are the people behind the scenes making?

Bottom line, music is art. It's not that different from visual art. So why are the two industries so different from each other? Why is music so much more respected and appreciated than visual art, or any other art form?

Don't get me wrong, I love music and all, but I don't think it should be such a huge business. Honestly, I don't see how it contributes to the world and the future as much as say, a teacher does. Celebrities are always complaining that its hard to find sincere people in LA and in the business. So why don't we strip away all the money and all the flashy stuff? That way, its just a mediocre business making mediocre money and the people in it are the people who want to make music. I know this is impossible to have with advertisement thrown into the mix, but it's a nice thought.

Speaking of advertisement, why are celebrities so freaking influential? Well, I know why, they are seen as having a "higher social status" than the rest of us, and we tend to listen to (and worship) people who are "better" than us.

It's rather annoying. I hate going to school everyday and having to sit in a class where only person who wants to be there less than the students is the teacher. It's so uninspiring, not to mention unmotivating. It goes both ways. It must be irritating to be a teacher and have a classroom full of students who's more interested in what celebrities do on a daily basis.

Again, I'm not saying I want the music industry to go out of business. Not at all. I just don't like media consuming so much of our lives. I don't like how so many people (usually the young) try to imitate and become their favourite celebrity instead of letting their life experiences shape who they are and who they become.

Here's an after thought. What if the music industry and the teaching business were flipped? What would happen then? Would people start becoming teachers because they make so much money? Would we have the same problems we do today? Does there always going to be a dominating industry?  

Aaand I think I'm done. For now.  soapbox

"And the one poor child who saved this world, and there's ten million more who probably could if we all just stopped and said a prayer for them" - Goo Goo Dolls, 'Better Days'
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2007, 08:36:50 PM »

Nooooo!  Sam the Record Man is closing?!?

Tiff, I have actually been there!  Twice.  Eaton Square too, if it's still there.  Laughing  I love Toronto!

Well, in the US, Tower Records closed last year, and many Sam Goody's stores as well.  Is FYE still open in TO?

Many blame it on digital music availability, but I'm old school.  I want to hold that shiny disc, and look at the pretty pictures and lyrics on the insert.

Smile
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2007, 05:49:36 AM »

I think i'm even farther back than old school...i think i'm old barn! I love going into the music section of Wal*Mart and walking out with whatever CD i go there to get! I think digital downloading does hurt the music stores because it allows people to buy music right from their computer and therefore, not venture into a shop that sells music. The last time i was at the mall, there was an FYE there...but they used to boast 3 music stores: Camelot, NRM, and FYE. Actually, FYE is more or less like Media Play...a store that sells all sorts of entertainment: CD's, DVD's, and books/magazines.

Tiff: I have ax's to grind with a lot with celebrities. The art of acting falls by the wayside a lot of times anymore...same with singing...now, everyone has their favorite singer/format they lean toward and i'm no exception. I think a lot of it, though, has to do with the media being so obtrusive in the lives of everyone. I know this will sound shocking to many who read this but i don't even watch much contemporary TV and i can not stand Top-40 radio...so i'm one of the ones who isn't influenced by a mega-hit TV show or a mega-rated Top-40 radio station and can pick and choose on my own...

I have often thought what would happen if you strip the political beliefs away from singers and actors and have them become famous through their songs/music or their movies or TV show instead of some cute political remark they may make. A  lot of singers and actors who have no real talent in their craft become celebrities because of their opinions anyway and that in return causes consumers to embrace him or her.

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
clayniac4ver
Claymaniac

clayed on 5/27/08 on g105 yesterday

« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2008, 06:10:49 AM »

why did clay sign with a new record label

alyse

"faith has concered my fear since i got the album"

got clayed on the 13th of january on g105
gfx