gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:20:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 270
Total: 270

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AIKEN NEWS NETWORK JUNE 2  (Read 5080 times)
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« on: June 02, 2006, 04:51:44 AM »

American Idol: R45S: The Best 58 Performances of All Time

A stellar vocal performance is important if you want to be one of the best 58, but it also has to be memorable and magical. You have to bring something new to the table, take a chance, and actually feel what you are singing. There are enough spots for everyone to have a chance to make the list, but who actually makes the cut again and again? (snip)

52. Clay Aiken “Sugar Pie Honey Bunch” (2) Awe, this is for Build me Up Buttercup too, because Clay does such a great job on these throw back numbers. His energy is great and his vocals are superb!

34. Clay Aiken “Unchained Melody” (2)- Simon’s favorite song, and he had to admit that Clay sang the hell out of it! That’s awesome!

14. Clay Aiken’s “This is The Night” (2)- I don't usually include performances of the shmaltzy ballads they make them sing on finals night, but Clay absolutely sang the everloving crap out of this song. His voice just soared and I realized Clay could probably truly make a good melody for the phone book and Claymates would buy. Whether you are a fan of his kind of tone or not, this kid can sing his ass off.

3. Clay Aiken’s “Bridge Over Troubled Water” (2)- It was after this performance that Simon started shaking in his boots and thought Clay was going to win the whole thing, and rightfully so. While Clay performed vocal gold medal gymnastics every night, Ruben smiled and did his usual. This performance felt momentous while you were watching it, like you should be thankful just to be able to hear Clay's vocals through your television, it was really surreal. 

MEDIAFIENDS

Clay "is" the "News"
When Words Fail--Let Music Speak
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 04:54:02 AM »

Soul Patrol, Rio, and The Purple One
June 2, 2006

With last week's coronation of American Idol champ Taylor Hicks, one would think that Hicks and runner up Katharine McPhee would be burning up the music search list. However, the two most popular crooners on television -- for this year, anyway -- couldn't unseat any of the big names from our Top 10.

That doesn't mean that we didn't watch and thoroughly enjoy the AI finale. And did you see Prince? Holy purple suit... and those stilettos!

Here are the Top 10 most-searched music artists on Lycos for the week ending May 27, 2006.

1. Britney Spears
2. Shakira
3. Jessica Simpson
4. Jennifer Lopez
5. Mariah Carey
6. Christina Aguilera
7. Clay Aiken
8. Zac Efron
9. Madonna
10. Tupac

LYCOS50

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 04:55:59 AM »

American Idol's Season 5 Encores anthology was overshadowed by the Dixie Chicks but still managed the best first-week sales for a finalists' collection with 154,000, according to Nielsen SoundScan. (Previous sales: Season 1, 146,000; Season 2, 101,000; Season 3, 55,000; Season 4, 83,000.) That's good enough for a No. 3 debut on Billboard's chart next week, behind the Chicks and High School Musical's new deluxe edition.
Idol Season 4 winner Carrie Underwood returned to the top 10, selling 65,000 (almost double the previous week) after performing on the Idol results show (and the competing ACM Awards). Season 2 runner-up Clay Aiken, who also sang on Idol, did not fare so well, however, selling 2,000 copies of Measure of a Man, up from 500 the previous week.

USATODAY

TGIF!!!

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 04:57:57 AM »

Some bad day 30 years from now, a musical about the first decade of the 21st century will undoubtedly highlight all of the singles produced by American Idol winners. That's what I mean. Sure, there might be a few sad reflections thrown in about terrorism and war, but mostly it will be cheery, like, "Remember back in 2009 when we listened to iPods and still had the right to vote?" and then they'll sing a memorial duet to honor Clay Aiken and Celine Dion.

NEWTIMESBPB

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 04:59:44 AM »

NEW YORK, May 31 /PRNewswire/ -- Following this year's most successful season of American Idol with over 35 million viewers tuning into the finale on May 24th, the 2006 winner Taylor Hicks signs a recording deal with Simon Fuller and 19 Recordings Limited, in conjunction legendary music man Clive Davis, Chairman of BMG U.S., and Arista Records.

The 29 year old Alabama native, that captured the hearts of millions of viewers by pouring heart and soul into every performance, joins the ranks of other idols that have gone on to have outstanding music careers under the guidance of Davis. Previous Idol winners and runner ups have sold a staggering 33 million records which includes music from Kelly Clarkson, Clay Aiken, Fantasia, Carrie Underwood, Ruben Studdard and Bo Bice.

PRNEWSWIRE

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 05:01:56 AM »

Second-season runner-up Clay Aiken, with a slick new look, performed a "duet" on "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" with his alter ego, a wannabe "American Idol" contestant who evoked the originally geeky Aiken.

Hicks and McPhee weren't as odd a finals pairing as second-second finalists Ruben Studdard and Aiken, but close.

NORTHJERSEY.COM

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 05:03:19 AM »

One perfect example from this season of this phenomenon was the annoying, wiry young man who entered the studio claiming he was the second coming of Clay Aiken. After he performed part of truly horrible rendition of some song, Simon stopped him. When the potential Idol whined about how he was Season Five's Aiken, Simon Cowell responded acerbically, "But Clay Aiken could sing." With this one line, he perfectly encapsulated the problem with Idol.

POPMATTERS

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 05:04:40 AM »

The Kodak Theater was a three-ring circus for the most extravagant finale of "American Idol" to date.

There were hokey medleys complete with matching outfits and silly choreography. Mary J. Blige, Meat Loaf and Prince performed alongside Idol rejects and Clay Aiken-wannabes. And of course, balloons and confetti fell from the ceiling. By the time Ryan Seacrest announced that Taylor "Soul Patrol" Hicks had bested Katharine McPhee, I'd forgotten that "American Idol" was even a competition.

DAILYTEXAN

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 05:07:36 AM »

What can I say. After this weeks amazing Lost two hour finale I can honestly say I am speechless. ]Good thing for me that I'm writing this recap instead of live blogging it the way the cool kids are these days, cuz It would just be an image of me with my mouth agape, sitting in my satin TV watchin' robe with my beloved cats Suri and Shiloh on my lap. The show just rocked. Purely and simply. It had everything. Fantastic revelations, huge cliffhangers, and a big four-toed statue. But I am getting ahead of myself.

It was a rousing sendoff to a great year. So much was revealed and so many new questions raised that it will make these five months between seasons last that much longer. And to all you American Idol fans who chose to watch Clay Aiken's new hairstyle instead of what had to be the best two hours of television in years, all I can say is you can (edit).

TVGASM.COM

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 05:10:17 AM »

Compared to scripted programming, the payout to make "American Idol" is insignificant. Last week’s winner, Taylor Hicks, was given the keys to a new Mustang plus a recording contract. That’s nowhere near a million to Fox TV, but it could be worth more than that to Hicks.

That’s assuming the fans who voted multiple times to make him the show’s winner reach into their wallets when his first album "drops" and the inevitable "American Idol" concert tour arrives at an amphitheater near them. 

So far, the indicators are good. "American Idol" CDs sell well, the concerts make money, and the previous winners continue to maintain their fan bases. Even non-winners such as Clay Aiken have released their own CDs after their time on the show expired.

CUMBERLINK

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 05:11:49 AM »

CD reviews

Michael Bolton Swings Sinatra’
(Concord)

The question isn’t whether he can swing. I suppose he can. But instead of Gods and icons, he ought to be “swinging” mere mortals, like Andy Williams or Clay Aiken.

KANSASCITY

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 05:18:07 AM »

AI5 Anticlimax Celebrates Anti-Idols
by Terrie Rosas (2006/06/02)

Taylor Hicks has been crowned the 2006 winner of American Idol. The throwback reigned at the Kodak.

The best man left prevailed.

Elliott Yamin was my sentimental favorite – an underdog who motivated me to vote when the contestants still numbered in double digits. I saw greatness in Elliott’s talent and character but never dared to dream that he could outlast Mandisa Hundley, Ace Young, Kellie Pickler, Paris Bennett and Chris Daughtry. Taylor was my second favorite – and, as Elliott advanced, an increasingly distant second. When Elliott left, I forced myself to vote for Taylor – as if it were the bitterest medicine. Due to the expanded voting period and extra phone lines, I actually voted 30 minutes longer for Taylor than I ever had for Elliott. That felt just. Plain. Weird. But I knew then that I would be glad someday I did it – and I already am.

If your favorite was eliminated earlier in the competition, the lopsided showdown between Hicks and Katharine McPhee likely seemed anticlimactic. With so many strong vocalists in the top five, their sizable fan bases felt detached from the contest’s conclusion. Special guests and other surprises planned by the crew provided the only genuine drama in what was widely regarded as the most entertaining season finale in AI history.

As my husband was quick to remind me, he predicted Taylor’s ascendancy the first time we saw him in the auditions – exactly as he had done for Clay Aiken. Despite obvious disparities in style and appearance, Taylor and Clay have much in common within the context of American Idol. Both inspired the fierce devotion of followers who founded and populated large internet communities. Both incurred the chronic contempt of Simon Cowell who, in his myopic vision, could not foresee either as a singing star. Both received enough votes each week all the way through their respective seasons to keep them out of the group identified as the bottom two or three.

Although not the technical winner of season two, Clay was the first contestant to release an album – with the gracious permission of Ruben Studdard – and the contestant who earned the highest sales that year. Clay used his popularity as leverage to record a debut free of sexual content that he would be proud to let children hear. RCA, under the Sony/BMG umbrella, didn’t seem to appreciate Clay’s talent or understand how to present it. "Measure of a Man" was a good pop album – owing to Clay’s determination to select the most appropriate songs offered to him and vocals too strong for the studio Bandzilla to bury – but hardly the showcase he needed or deserved.

Like Clay, Taylor defied the odds and those who called him too odd to win. Taylor may face the same uphill battle for creative control, but he enjoys important advantages, including unusual stick-to-itiveness. A decade ago, he dropped out of Auburn University to move to Nashville, where he began to chase his once elusive dream. When he told his father he was auditioning for American Idol, Brad Hicks said, "Why don't you just go buy a lottery ticket?" He is a songwriter-musician with an impeccable ear for his own sound and a steady eye for the right musical direction. His passionate reverence for soul, rock ‘n’ roll, rhythm & blues, and country honors the legacy of his forebears – and gives him broad appeal across a wider variety of genres and radio formats than any AI predecessor before him.

From the start I admired Taylor and expected him to win. He charmed me with his unembarrassed zeal for performing – the physical manifestation of his incorruptible faith in music. His victory was a vindication of his faith and his music, which overcame months of careless handling and cynical manipulations. After the AI producers forced Taylor to switch love songs at nearly the last minute, I noted that he looked wounded. In his new interview with Rolling Stone, he compared his AI experience to “dancing with the devil.” As Clay might attest, nothing exorcises demons like the triumphant success of an anti-idol.

Clay’s astonishing return to the program that launched his career was a highlight of the season five finale. Every tentative, deliberate step back onto the AI stage carried the weight of many milestones and millstones since his own anticlimactic exit three long years ago. Seeing his stylish new look and mature, confident demeanor was almost like meeting Clay again for the first time. As he took command of the microphone, his voice was instantly familiar and yet as thrilling as ever.

Artists who create and sustain such a potent connection are blessed with a special gift that cannot be manufactured by TV or recording industry moguls. Compelling performers like Clay and Taylor make the audience believe in the power of music to transcend and transform.

Taylor believes – with the wishful innocence of a child on Christmas morning. Taylor has the gift – and the conviction of a man who has long sacrificed for his art. You could say he waited a lifetime for a moment like this.
BEAVERSONIDOL

Clay "is" the "News"
Her
Enthusiastic

CLAY'S #1 FRECKLE LOVER

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 05:36:05 AM »

Happy Friday M.B. and thanks for the news as always!  Huggles

Official Charter Member of the OCD

He is the beloved singing teddy bear placed near a young girl's flouncy canopied bed.

NCSandhillsDeb
Adults
SuperFan

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2006, 06:45:58 AM »

Good morning everyone!!!!!

Thanks for all the news.

Way to go Canes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Debbie

All you need is love.  But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.  Charles M Schulz
fhmmany2
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

Clay's Magazine Maniac

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006, 07:08:35 AM »

Good Morning and Happy TGIF!!! The weekly magazines come out today (they will all be dated June 12, except for Entertainment Weekly, which will be dated June 10), and Clay should (hopefully!) be in all of them with the Idol coverage. The one suprise so far is that T.V. Guide did NOT include Clay in its Idol pages  Anyway, it's a great day for hunting Clay magazines!!!  Have a great day, everyone!

Memories of Julie, jj, Liz, Carol, Janet, and Debi Make Me Smile - I Was Lucky To Have Known Them!
I Met Clay In Atlanta On 8/2/05 - Life Is Good!
lorraine
Enthusiastic

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2006, 07:09:48 AM »

GOOD MORNING DEANNA AND FRIENDS.

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND AND THANKS FOR ALL THE NEWS, SOME GOOD AND BAD ON OUR HONEY.

HUGS
RAINEY
ILClaymate
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2006, 08:16:28 AM »

wave Happy TGIF!

Cool dot com

Aiken tops Zeitgeist

"American Idol" star Clay Aiken, who made a surprise appearance May 24 on the show's season finale, was first on Google Zeitgeist's list of gaining queries for the week ending May 29.
Taylor Hicks, the winning singer in this season's "American Idol" competition, was second.
Race driver Danica Patrick, who placed eighth in this year's Indianapolis 500, was third.
To see what else Web-surfers are looking for, go to www.google.com/zeitgeist.

INDYSTAR
ILClaymate
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2006, 08:24:43 AM »

‘It’s Like the Super Bowl’
Authored by Andrew Perna - 1st June, 2006 - 4:16 pm

<snip>
The Super Bowl has Aerosmith, the Rolling Stones, and wardrobe malfunctions. The Super Bowl has a pregame show that lasts all day, and a season that leads up to it for over six months. Players’ careers are defined by excelling on football’s brightest stage. Winners are forever held in sports lore, despite how the rest of their career pans out.

Most of the contestants on Idol will fade back into everyday life in a few months, while winning the whole thing doesn’t secure anything but a record deal that could very well fail. A few years ago a very large man by the name of Ruben Studdard beat Clay Aiken in the annual competition. That didn’t stop Ruben from fading, and Clay from ultimately excelling.

REAL GM FOOTBALL
ILClaymate
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2006, 08:26:42 AM »

Posted by bubbles at CB:

OK Magazine has 2 mentions/pictures
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK magazine with Jessica and Nick on the cover, June 12, 2006 issue, has 2 separate mentions of Clay, both with pictures. page 31 in an article about the AI Finale, it says Idols meeting Idols and show Clay shaking Michael's hand. Notice the difference in the size of hands. Then on page 38 a Style Alert page, they have a column that is headed This week We're Loving. Number 1 is "Clay Aiken's new look" with a little picture. 8 of the other 9 have not picture at all. Good mentions. I have no scanner so can't help with a scan. Sorry. Magazine just came out today.
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2006, 09:00:51 AM »

thanks so much for the news, i just can't get enough Clay news!
We can't either girlfriend - in fact, we made a whole thread for it!!

Yes!

Happy Friday everyone!  Thanks for all the news!

Also....CANES WON!!  WOOOOO!!!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx