gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:32:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 355
Total: 355

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AIKEN NEWS NETWORK MARCH 18 & 19  (Read 1824 times)
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« on: March 18, 2006, 03:45:14 AM »

An encore airing of an award-winning episode of Scrubs, a favorite of cast members, featured AI2 runner-up, Clay Aiken. During the course of the show his character, Kenny, a cheerful but unsophisticated hospital cafeteria worker, was given the chance to sing in the hospital's talent show.

The 13th American Idol Finalist Who Performed on Stevie Wonder Night
by Judy Simpson (2006/03/17)

Twelve finalists stepped upon the American Idol stage Tuesday night and did their best to win over the judges and audience by performing Stevie Wonder songs. Thanks to an ironic twist of fate (or perhaps some clever programming by a rival network), there was a thirteenth Idol finalist entertaining TV viewers during the same time period with one of Stevie Wonder's hits. An encore airing of an award-winning episode of Scrubs, a favorite of cast members, featured AI2 runner-up, Clay Aiken. During the course of the show his character, Kenny, a cheerful but unsophisticated hospital cafeteria worker, was given the chance to sing in the hospital's talent show. This episode was partially shot in front of a live studio audience using four cameras, a first for the show.

Obviously Clay's days of competing on AI are long over; and it would not be fair to compare the performance of an established recording artist with those of a fresh crop of AI5 finalists. By the same token, since this Scrubs episode originally aired about a year ago and was scheduled against a fresh two-hour episode of one of America's highest-rated shows, it's not fair to use ratings as a comparison either. However, it could be fun to speculate how Clay might have faired on this particular AI competition night based on his performance on a sound stage before the sitcom's cast and crew and a small studio audience. It just so happens that some feedback exists regarding this. The NBC website for Scrubs contains some videotaped comments of cast members regarding the series. In one of them a series regular, veteran actor Ken Jenkins, had much to say about the talented young singer he met for the first time during the filming of that four-camera episode. He confessed that he dislikes watching people lose on contest shows (good thing he missed the AI2 finale), so he knew very little about Clay Aiken except that he was said to be a talented singer with numerous allergies. His first impression of Clay was that he was a frail young man with a sweet smile; however, upon meeting him, he realized Clay was physically fine. More revelations were soon to follow.

Mr. Jenkins recounted the experience of working on the episode with Clay, explaining that the lack of direction and the confusion surrounding the four-camera shoot had Clay seeking his advice on how to time his entrance. Clay might very well have been as nervous and excited about making his acting debut in his first television character role before a live audience as those AI5 contestants were about making their singing debuts as finalists on a big stage before a large audience. Mr. Jenkins said Clay made his entrance and delivered his lines just fine, despite his impression that Clay seemed a bit lost. However, that impression changed drastically the moment Clay found himself in song.

Mr. Jenkins' eloquent description of Clay transforming from a loser character into a singing contest winner will certainly strike a familiar chord with many of Clay's fans. He described that moment by saying, "It was like watching magic." He went on to compare Clay's transformation to an emerging butterfly and declared the result to be "absolute pure song." He said it was as if the boy stopped being there and the singing took over. He concluded by saying that Clay did this so naturally and beautifully that it caused everyone's jaws to drop just a little bit and that the overall reaction of those present was: "Wow! What a great kid!"

So, what might the AI judges' reaction have been?

Well, Randy said Tuesday night that it's hard to do justice to a Stevie Wonder song and even harder to create one's own rendition that can measure up to the original. Even though he only performed one verse, it was evident that Clay's version of Isn't She Lovely? was polished and stylishly performed, did the original proud, and could easily be the beginning of a hit cover.

Paula encourages contestants to make each song they perform their own and bring their own style to it and have fun with it. Clay definitely made this rendition his own, and his voice embraced it so effortlessly that it was as if he'd been singing it for years. It was obvious he was in his element and enjoying himself. He radiated joy during his performance.

Simon cautions contestants that every performance needs to be their best and that to be a winner they need to have that "It factor" or "X-factor" and "wow" their audience. He advises that a stellar performance needs to be both memorable and original. Obviously Clay's performance was memorable, and Mr. Jenkins witnessed Clay "wow" everyone within earshot. Clay's "It factor" or "X-factor" is the magic of his performances… his transformation into a master vocal artist and his ability to transcend expectations.

So, all things considered, it appears Clay's performance lived up to the judges' standards, and he continues to win over new fans every time he sings. Even though viewers can't call in their votes for Clay anymore, plenty will be indicating their Idol choice at the record stores when Clay's next CD debuts in the coming weeks. A great many people have experienced the magic of Clay's voice and also agree with the cast and crew of Scrubs that "Clay Aiken is a great kid."
BEAVERSONIDOL

Clay "is" the "News"
When Words Fail--Let Music Speak
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 03:46:15 AM »

From the Broads:

OH PURDY BOY

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 03:49:07 AM »

Delivering Weekly Encore Performances of 'American Idol Extra,' DIRECTV Customers Will Have Access to Behind-the-Scenes Action with Top Twelve Finalists

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 16, 2006--DIRECTV, the nation's leading digital television service, is giving die hard "American Idol" fans even more ways to catch "American Idol Extra," the first-ever series to reveal the backstage drama of what really happens on "American Idol" after the weekly vote-off show on FOX. (snip)

19 Entertainment
The 19 Group of Companies was founded by Simon Fuller in 1985 and to date has been involved in the creation of 109 Number 1 singles and 87 Number 1 albums with an impressive tally of 296 Top 40 albums and 465 Top 40 singles. Fuller created and managed the Spice Girls, who became a global phenomenon under his guidance, selling over 38 million albums. In 1998, Fuller's 19 launched S Club 7, which has sold over 10 million CDs worldwide, while its four television series were sold to over 100 countries around the world.

In 2001, Simon Fuller's 19TV created and produced the television phenomenon "Pop Idol" and in 2002, AMERICAN IDOL. "Pop Idol" launched the singing careers of Will Young and Gareth Gates in the UK, while AMERICAN IDOL did the same for Kelly Clarkson, Ruben Studdard, Clay Aiken, Tamyra Gray, Fantasia, Diana Degarmo, Bo Bice and Carrie Underwood in the United States.
BIZ.YAHOO

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 04:01:57 AM »

Entertainment Weekly has an article on all of the AI5 contestants that tells "what is working" and "what needs fixing".  Here's a snippet for Kevin Covais:

WHAT NEEDS WORK In all honesty, Kevin's peculiar warble can only carry him so far in the competition. But that's not saying he can't extend his run by embarking on a charm offensive.

FROCK U The American Idol stage should not be confused with a high-school calculus class. Accordingly, it's time for this season's geek-chic contestant to lose the untucked Dockers-y shirts, goofy glasses, and white sneakers (gasp!). Paging Clay Aiken's stylist!

EW
If you are an American Idol fan, the whole article is an interesting read. Wink

Clay "is" the "News"
ILClaymate
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 06:35:50 AM »

wave Good morning Deanna and all!  Its finally Saturday!   Purple Banana

MARCH 20, 2006
American Inventor Review
By Stacy Perman
No Edisons Here, Just Embarrassment

LAUGHABLE BUT SAD.  With the fifth season of Fox's American Idol serving up 30 million viewers each night it airs, Cowell and his AI producers seem to think they can simply translate AI's success of discovering pop singers to finding the next Thomas Edison (see Broken Wings Online, 1/31/06, "Simon Cowell: From Idol to Inventor").

But the bonding element that makes AI work and allows the audience to get behind a Kelly Clarkson or a Clay Aiken is absent on American Inventor.

BUSINESS WEEK
NCSandhillsDeb
Adults
SuperFan

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 08:31:43 AM »

Good Morning!!!!

Thanks for the news.

Have a great week end everyone.

Debbie

All you need is love.  But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.  Charles M Schulz
fhmmany2
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

Clay's Magazine Maniac

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 10:34:55 AM »

Does anybody know if there is a download of the Larry King show from last night? Simon Cowell was on. Larry King asked him about the tabloid stories about Clay - and Simon defended Clay!!! Purple Banana I walked in the room just in time to see a picture of Clay and to hear Simon say "that's crazy". I asked on the OCD last night - Tiffany did watch, and she said (as I had hoped) that it was indeed Simon saying that he did not believe the stories and that they were crazy - but I would like to watch the clip for myself - has anybody gotten to see it? This was the only Clay mention (it was during the first 15 minutes of the show). I watched the rest of the show, and no one mentioned Clay again - not even the people who called in to ask questions.

Memories of Julie, jj, Liz, Carol, Janet, and Debi Make Me Smile - I Was Lucky To Have Known Them!
I Met Clay In Atlanta On 8/2/05 - Life Is Good!
Tiffany
Enthusiastic

Clay's Dove

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 12:02:14 PM »

Deanna posted this in the tabloid thread Frankie and hope it's ok to post it here. If it's not I'll delete it.

mcraig2 was able to TIVO the show and transcribe the dialog.  She was sweet enough to send me her transciption:

King:  What about Clay Aiken and the possible lawsuits?

Simon:  Well, I heard about this.  I mean, what are they saying?  That he….

King:  …came on with somebody…

Simon:  I loo--. You hear all the rumors..whatever.  Then you hear the lawsuits are that you pretended to be straight or something.  I mean, it’s just crazy.  You know?

King:  It don’t matter to you?

Simon:  Doesn’t matter, no..I mean, what do I care?

Rest in peace our Angels Janet, Carol, Liz, Julie, Kris, Debi and JJ. Angel We miss you and you are in our hearts always I will love and support Clay always and forever. Proud to be a Claymaniac. 
ANGELA
Enthusiastic

A FAN FROM MASSACHUSETTS SUPPORTING CLAY 110%

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006, 12:03:54 PM »

Hello ANN readers & lurkers.

Thanks for all the news & comments.

Frankie, I would also like to hear the interview  as well.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone.

Angela

"BE HAPPY,TRY YOUR BEST & LET GOD TAKE CARE OF THE REST"
"LIZ, JULIE, JJ & CAROL OUR 4 SHINING ANGELS" "SUPPORTING CLAY 110% SINCE DAY ONE"    "
lorraine
Enthusiastic

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 04:53:06 PM »

GOOD EVENING.  HAVEN'T BEEN HERE IN A DAY AND A HALF BUT HAD TO STOP BY AND CHECK IN.  DIDN'T SEE LARRY KING BUT FROM WHAT I READ IT LOOKS LIKE SIMON KIND OF STUCK UP FOR CLAY.

THANKS FOR THE NEWS AND COULDN'T FEEL LIKE MY DAY WAS COMPLETE UNLESS I STOPPED BY.

HUGS
RAINEY
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx