gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:07:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 338
Total: 338

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SOLO TOUR MEDIA - PREVIEWS, REVIEWS & MORE  (Read 27219 times)
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2004, 02:04:22 AM »

YORK FAIR YORK PA PREVIEWS

YORK FAIR YORK PA REVIEWS

Screeching for Clay
Fans swooned over the 'Idol' runner-up at the fair.
By MIKE CAGGESO
Daily Record/Sunday News
Friday, September 17, 2004

Let's all be thankful Wednesday wasn't "free wine-glass night" at the York Fair, because the glasses would have broken from the insane amount of female screaming at the grandstand.

Clay Aiken walked on stage to the yelling of about 9,000 fans — most of them women of all ages — who clenched their hearts as Aiken cooed through his set list of ready-to-sell power ballads.

Sandwiched between Kid Rock and Lynyrd Skynyrd on the fair's concert lineup, Aiken's music and image were as wholesome and digestible as a granola bar.

Aiken made thousands of women scream by pointing at them. He broke hearts by rolling up his sleeves. Just by walking the stage at the pace of a slug, Aiken made a large pocket of people jump from their seats as if they were sitting on springs.

That kind of game with the ladies makes talking to them mighty easy.

"Man, I tell ya what York, Pennsylvania. You look good and you sound good," Aiken said in his syrupy Southern voice.

Musically, his nine-piece band didn't offer much more than elevator music. And Aiken's three backup singers lent their pipes for some of the higher and longer notes.

Aiken's show was loaded with cover songs, from U2's "Where the Streets Have No Name," to James Taylor's "Sweet Baby James" to Marvin Gaye's "How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)."

Aiken leaped to superstardom months before his first record deal, during the second season of "American Idol." Since the show began three years ago, a lot of similar-looking and similar-sounding singers have jumped from our televisions to CD players. None has made half the impact on their fans as Aiken.

Around the world and all over the Internet, a loyal following of "Claymates" host fan sites and chat rooms. One of those groups, the South Central PA Clay Fans, held a pre-concert party at the Yorktowne Hotel.

Collector's items such as autographed CDs, a Clay Aiken quilt and Clay Aiken pillow cases were auctioned off to the 200-some attendees. Proceeds were donated to the Bubel/Aiken Foundation, which provides services and assistance to integrate children with disabilities into everyday life.

Susan Gerald of Raleigh, N.C. — Aiken's hometown — unloaded $1,451 for a front-row ticket to Wednesday night's concert.

"I'll get to see a great show and I'm supporting a great cause," Gerald said, adding that she has been to several Aiken concerts already.

The party was emceed by a Clay Aiken lookalike from Baltimore, and entertainment was provided by "The Clayford Wives," a group of local women performing a skit on the little things they would do for Aiken if married to the chap.

Parties like this take place across the country before many of Aiken's tour dates.

"I feel when I go to a Clay concert, I'm going to a family reunion," said Leader Heights resident and party organizer Samantha O'Heren.
YORK DAILY RECORD

Aiken wows his 'Claymates' at York Fair performance

By Jade Kelly Solovey , Special to the Chronicle  09/23/2004

Reality television did not make Clay Aiken a singer, but it sure did make him a star. Unlike some of his American Idol finalist counter parts, he has the talent to back it up.

The flawless, sweet sounds of Clay carried through the balmy air when Aiken performed for a near-capacity crowd of 8,755 at the York Fair last Thursday night.

Even the singer's mom, Faye Parker, was on-hand for the show. Parker was put to work when, prior to the show, she selected a lucky, talented young lady to sing on stage with Aiken.

The evening started with a nod to the singer's sponsors via a video sneak peak at the new song Aiken has lent his voice to. The soon-to-be released Disney's Aladdin Special Edition DVD features a resurrected song from the infamous "vault" titled "Proud of Your Boy."

Aiken emerged from beneath a staircase met with the roar of the predominantly middle-aged and female crowd of Claymates. He broke into "Where the Streets Have No Name" by U2, then transitioned into his own bouncy "Perfect Day."

The singer greeted his audience with a mix of humor and Southern charm.
"You look good, you sound good, York Pennsylvania," Aiken said. "I gotta be honest with ya ...you got 'em all whooped right here."

He then offered the crowd an opportunity to prove it, inviting two fans to dance onstage during "When You Say You Love Me," and to earn a Hawaiian lei now coveted by Claymates everywhere.

"You've got some people who can move," Aiken said, "some people who had a little too much sugar at the fair."

As the evening progressed, it was evident that Parker's boy has grown during the past several months on the road. Aiken is starting to overcome his reputation for being clumsy, tripping and occasionally dropping the microphone - certainly part of his Southern, boyish charm that keeps the ladies reeling. This powerful performance was even more solid and confident than some previous ones, and it was seriously rocking at times.

The evening's highlights included a video montage of Aiken's television appearances, accomplishments and experiences since the end of season two of American Idol. The crowd roared with approval at the sight of the Rolling Stone cover featuring Aiken - particularly a panning shot of the WWJD bracelet that he refused to remove for the photo shoot.

His show of faith did not stop there, as Aiken, adorned in choirboy white covered "You Were There," a spiritual ballad recognizing God's omnipresence. He received a resounding "amen" from the crowd upon singing the lyrics "You would rather die than leave us in the dark." It was a very poignant, powerfully-moving point in his performance.

Aiken and his band filled the show with covers like "Kyrie" by Mr. Mister, a rocking rendition of Stevie Wonder's "Signed Sealed Delivered," and a mesmerizing version of Toto's "Rosanna" that, in the words of Paula Abdul, Aiken "took and made his own."

The evening's performance also included a salute to James Taylor featuring back-up singers Angela Fisher, Quiana Parler and Jacob Litrell on lead for "Sweet Baby James," "How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)," "Yesterday Morning," and "You Got a Friend."

Aiken and company have taken to vocally challenging each other by seeing who can hold a note the longest. (It was Aiken, by the way.) The singer's talent, confidence and experienced showmanship emerged each time he stepped out of his comfort zone with a howl or a growl integrated into his phenomenal, standard performance.

Aiken also wowed 'em with his current single, "I Will Carry You," a particular favorite with the audience; "Measure of a Man"; "I Survived You"; and his first hit, "This Is The Night."

"That song means a lot for obvious reasons. It was a pivotal point in my life," he said.

"If you had asked me two years ago where I would be tonight, I would not have said York, Pennsylvania. [I'm] glad I'm here. I feel blessed to have the opportunity."

The singer dedicated "Invisible" to the crowd and sang the words "I am nothing without you" with particular emphasis as he pointed to his fans. He then disappeared under the stair, only to emerge atop the stage for an encore that featured "Solitaire."

Aiken provides a night of outstanding vocals and powerful simplicity - no lasers or five-second delays required.
HERSHEY CHRONICLE
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2004, 02:05:10 AM »

THE BIG E WEST SPRINGFIELD MA REVIEWS

Clay Aiken wows Big E crowd

Wednesday, September 22, 2004
By DONNIE MOORHOUSE Music writer

WEST SPRINGFIELD - "American Idol 2003" runner-up Clay Aiken headlined the Big E in West Springfield Sunday night, performing a 90-minute set of earnest pop music for a crowd of thousands, many of whom had lined up early in the day for a chance to see the television music star.

Aiken proved to be poised and polished, taking the lessons he learned from the talent competition known as "American Idol," and transferring them into a palatable stage show that ran flawlessly from pillar to post.

It was the final show of Aiken's 2½-month summer tour, and much of the time on stage was spent with band members looking over their shoulders and waiting for the next practical joke to fall. Aiken was victimized by a Vaseline covered microphone, while his guitarist was doused with a bucket of ping pong balls during his big solo.

Whether the practical joke theme was genuine, or part of a choreographed stage show, it was successful in keeping the energy level high on stage.

Only a year into his professional career, Aiken is an absolute marvel in the way he handles a performance. He appears as a seasoned veteran, at ease with the microphone, and capable of handling impromptu moments in front of a crowd of thousands.

Aiken was late coming to the stage, a full hour later than the scheduled 7 p.m. start time, and 30 minutes after opener Ben Jelen completed his set. Fans were understandably anxious, at one point raining boos down from the bleachers at the delay.

All was forgiven when Aiken rose on a hydraulic lift to a multi-tiered stage and offered U2's "Where the Streets Have No Name." Children were immediately thrust upon the shoulders of parents to get a better view.

A dance competition brought "Amanda from Washington" up on stage to two-step with the back-up singers and give Aiken an enthusiastic embrace. The singer followed with another cover, this time working up Mister Mister's "Kyrie."

Aiken also delivered some cuts from his debut "The Measure of a Man," including the title track and the ballad "I Will Carry You."

He gave ample time to his three backing vocalists as well, allowing them to either duet or solo on a medley of James Taylor hits including "Sweet Baby James," "How Sweet It Is," and "Fire and Rain."

Aiken took control of the stage again with a rocking version of "Still The One," and a cover of Toto's "Roseanna." He closed the set with a rendition of "This Is The Night," and encored with a cover of Neil Sedaka's "Solitaire."

Ben Jelen had the unenviable task of opening for Aiken and quelling the anticipation of an army of Aiken supporters. He handled the task with aplomb, winning converts with his semi-rock piano ballads and a cover of Tracy Chapman's "Talkin' 'Bout a Revolution."

MASS LIVE
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2004, 02:05:52 AM »

CAROWINDS PALADIUM CHARLOTTE NC PREVIEWS

CAROWINDS PALADIUM CHARLOTTE NC REVIEWS

Aiken performs at Carowinds
10/17/2004 12:54 PM
By: News 14 Carolina
Aiken will perform at the State Fair in Raleigh on Monday.  

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- American Idol runner-up Clay Aiken returned to Charlotte Saturday and performed before a packed crowd at the Palladium Amphitheatre at Paramount's Carowinds.

Aiken is no stranger to the Queen City, he graduated from UNC Charlotte in 2003.

Though many in attendance were locals, there were plenty from out of town. Fans from as many as 30 states and four countries visited the park. Among the out of towners were members of Penny Lane, a grassroots fundraising project which donates money to the Bubel-Aiken Foundation.

The group of Clay fans host parties in every city where he performs and raised more than $1,600 Saturday, oushing their grand total above the $20,000 mark.

Clay fans will continue to collect change in the Tar Heel State as they are heading to Raleigh next for the singer's performance at the State Fair on Monday.
NEWS 14 CAROLINA
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2004, 02:06:45 AM »

NC STATE FAIR DORTON ARENA RALEIGH NC PREVIEWS

NC STATE FAIR DORTON ARENA RALEIGH NC REVIEWS

Clay Aiken performs in a familiar arena
By Chick Jacobs
Staff writer

RALEIGH - The Claymates weren't quite ready to let their idol go - not just yet.

So while Clay Aiken wrapped up an exhaustive summer-long tour in his hometown, self-proclaimed members of Generation Clay swarmed the floor of Dorton Arena on Monday for one more up-close look.

The 26-year-old entertainer seemed to revive in their energy, at one point looking back to his singers with a "can you believe this?" look.

The scene wasn't anything new for the platinum-album singer. But standing in the arena, where he used to join his mom watching county concerts and circus acts, it had to feel strange to look out and see an ocean of T-shirts with his face on them.

"I used to come here and watch concerts, mainly because they were free," he told the 6,000-plus jammed into Dorton. "Too bad we can't do that now."

Aiken closed his 2004 tour on familiar footing and a familiar setting - swarms of mostly female fans who have taken an inordinate fancy to the Raleigh native.

Fans such as Robin Cassill drove down from Chillicothe, Ohio, for the chance to catch two Aiken concerts in one day. Francine Daoust made the trip from Montreal.

"He's an inspiration," Cassill said as fellow Generation Claymates nodded in agreement. "It's not just his singing, it's his life."

The group, all clad in their blue T-shirts with a lime-green likeness of Aiken, say his dedication to charities inspired them to send packages to servicemen in Iraq. It also leads them to reflect on their own lives.

"Just this afternoon, I found myself in a situation, and I wondered, 'How would Clay handle this?'" said P.J. Hickle of Pittsburgh. "He provides a role model for people of all ages - spanning the generations."

Certainly, the generations came together to see Aiken at his 3 p.m. show. And they came together quickly - tickets sold out in fewer than 15 minutes. Add the tickets to the evening show and Aiken sold 12,000 tickets in about a half hour.

"How many of y'all are from out of state and got tickets on the Internet?" Aiken asked. The response indicated that at least half the arena had done so.

"Man, there's a lot of ticked-off folks from Raleigh out there looking for you," he said with a grin.

Nobody sat anywhere for long.

When Aiken popped up from a hidden entry on the stage, the noise rivaled Cameron Indoor Stadium during the biggest Duke-UNC game.

Dressed casually in a striped shirt and jeans, Aiken opened with U2's "Where the Streets Have No Name."

Truth be told, he could have sung the Chinese national anthem and folks wouldn't have known it.

"I haven't heard noise like this since The Beatles," said Devon Cain. She had driven down with friends from Alexandria, Va., to celebrate her 60th birthday.

Like dozens of fans, she had a hand-painted sign begging Clay for a kiss, a wave, a wink. Some women were a little more forward, tossing panties on the stage.

But mostly people were there to embrace Clay, emotionally if not physically. His invitation for them to come forward and dance during "Perfect Day" would rival the altar call at a Billy Graham revival. There was something touching about grandparents holding up their grandkids or whirling in the aisles, just like you knew they did in front of the stereo at home. It was comfortable, just like a homecoming should be.

"Some people don't understand," said Daoust of her long trip to see Aiken's homecoming. "It's not just the voice, it's the man. It's what he stands for. It's all that. Fortunately, my husband understands."
FAYETTEVILLE ONLINE

Aiken Thrills Fans At State Fair Concerts

POSTED: 7:35 pm EDT October 18, 2004
UPDATED: 3:46 pm EDT October 20, 2004

RALEIGH, N.C. -- The dizzying rides weren't the only attractions at the North Carolina State Fair producing shrieks of delight on Monday.

Singer Clay Aiken performed to two sold-out houses at the Dorton Arena on the fairgrounds, thrilling fans that came from near and far to hear the Raleigh native and former American Idol runner-up.

"I just feel like a whole person when I hear him and see him," said Karen Holf, an older woman from New York who attended the evening concert.

Hundreds of die-hard fans attended a Monday morning breakfast and silent auction of Aiken-related items at the nearby RBC Center. Volunteers from Aiken's charity, the Bubel-Aiken Foundation, also were on hand to raise money.

Fans thronged the fairgrounds all day and rushed into Dorton Arena when the doors opened for the afternoon concert.

Aiken initially planned to perform one concert at the State Fair, but when tickets went on sale last month, they sold out within 10 minutes. Because of the intense interest and a computer glitch that oversold the 6,000-seat arena by 700 tickets, the singer agreed to add an afternoon concert. That one sold out within 14 minutes.

Aiken was paid $100,000 for each concert.

Some local residents complained that Internet ticket sales shut them out of the performance, but dedicated fans were glad they had a chance to see their idol up close.

"We just like Clay," said Kala Splett, who drove 1,300 miles from Minnesota with her friends Christina Stangle and Kim Wagger to attend the concert. "He's an amazing man. He's a great man of God, and we are just kind drawn here to see him."

The trio said they had to leave immediately after the evening concert for the 20-hour drive back to Minnesota.

"We have to be back in class by Wednesday," Wagger said.
NBC 17 RALEIGH
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx