gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:00:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 359
Total: 359

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AI5 Recap Thread  (Read 8002 times)
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2006, 09:09:01 PM »

Week #5 - Top 11 Contestants – 50’s Night (special guest : Barry Manilow)

1) Mandisa - "I Don’t Hurt Anymore" by Dottie West

Randy – Wow! I’m a little speechless right now. What a classy, great, amazing way to start the night! This was an unbelievable performance. What’s cool is I don’t know who’s waiting in the wings backstage, but you’ve all got to bring it tonight. Mandisa’s set the mark.

Paula – It can be very difficult with these genres of music to be able to be in the seats and escape. You took me right back to the fifties. Your performance was flawless. You’re a thoroughbred.

Simon – Mandisa, you are blossoming. I mean that was, apart from the vocal, a very sexy performance. It’s like a great stripper song. I absolutely loved it!

************************************************************************************
2) Bucky Covington - "Oh Boy!" by Buddy Holly

Randy – You know what I love? Great song choice for you. I liked the little mic technique, I’ve gotta try that. You got your hair back. You got the old Bucky hair back! You know what’s cool? The falsetto at the end. It wasn’t the best vocal you’ve done, but it was a good song choice for you. Good choice!

Paula – Right when you started singing, we looked at each other and said this was a good choice of song for you. How was it working with Barry? You can tell that he worked with you great. He had a lot of fun on stage and it was a really wonderful performance.

Simon – Bucky, I’m going to give now a reality check to that performance. This is American Idol, forty million people tuning in, supposedly the best in America. It was nothing more than a pointless karaoke performance. I’ll tell you why I say that, because if someone was watching this for the first time, and that was an isolated performance, just that you’d go “So what?”. That’s it, what I call a so what performance.

************************************************************************************
3) Paris Bennett - "Fever" by Peggy Lee

Randy – Wow! I started and I was thinking that I don’t know how this is going to go, but by the middle of the song I remembered the first time I saw you and you did a jazzy little number that we all fell in love with. We thought that you were so dope! Dude, you blew it out of the box the rest of the song! Gotta give you your props. Experience beyond your seventeen years.

Paula – I forgot that you were seventeen with some of those moves. You look phenomenal. You dressed the part. Your vocals were impeccable.

Simon – This is what you do best, Paris. You have the perfect voice for that kind of song. There’s nothing more I can say. Great!

4) Chris Daughtry - "I Walk the Line" by Johnny Cash

Randy – I don’t know I could say it’s the best vocal that you’ve done since you’ve been on the show, but what I like about this is that you took a song that everyone knows, you put a different spin on it, made it an alternative record that fit exactly who you are. I love that every week that you know exactly who you are and you never veer from that path. So it’s always cool. You’re ready!

Paula – There are a few of you American Idols that I can’t wait for every week. I can’t t wait to hear what you’re going to sing, what you’re going to do. You are so true to who you are and you don’t ever abandon that. That’s what is so amazing about you, Chris.  It’s like you grow and you grow each week. You should be touring and we should already be buying tickets.

Simon – Chris, I agree with Randy. I don’t think it was the best vocal we’ve heard from you so far, but I don’t think it matters because there was an enormous difference between what you just did then, which was to take a great song and make it your own version. It was completely the opposite version of what I hated about Bucky’s version of “Oh Boy!”. Actually I’ve got to tell you, you are the first artist we’ve ever had on this show who’s actually refused to compromise and for that “Bravo!”.

5) Katherine McPhee - "Come Rain or Come Shine" by Billie Holliday

Randy – Wow! You know what? That might not have been my favorite vocal performance for you cause you’ve been so good the last couple weeks, but it still was really really strong and you took a really difficult song and you worked it out. That’s a tough song to sing.

Paula – I think we all love you, Katherine. I’ve got to tell you it may be tough to take on an Ella Fitzgerald song, but only you I believe, could pull it off. You look exquisite tonight. I honestly feel that you are going to be one of the contenders all the way through the competition. I really do. You’re one of my favorites.

Simon – Katherine, something happened tonight. Which is that I think tonight you turn into a star. I really do. That was like watching a really great seasoned performer and that comes under what I call the special category. Loved it!

6) Taylor Hicks - "Not Fade Away" by Buddy Holly

Randy – You were having a blast up there. You ran over there and you were having a good time. I don’t know if this song was the most challenging vocally for me, it was one of those four or five note kinda things you know? But you worked it out! I’m a big fan of yours, you know. I love you, man!

Paula – What I love about this Taylor is that someone should be shooting this and making an exercise video out of this and we’d all lose a whole bunch of weight. You’re fantastic. You look fantastic. You’re just one of a kind and they broke the mold after you.

Simon – Sorry, but if this was the first time you’d seen this performance, out of context you would’ve thought like me, it was a complete mess. Taylor, I like you. You’ve got a great voice, but that was like some hideous party performance.

The best kind of friend is the one you could sit on a porch with, never saying a word, and walk away feeling like that was the best conversation you've had.
Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2006, 09:54:20 PM »

7) Lisa Tucker - "Why Do Fools Fall in Love?" by Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers

Randy – Good song choice for you. It definitely kept you really young and perky. I think it was a good performance. I’m just sitting here thinking it wasn’t like “Oh my God! This is the dopest I’ve ever seen you.” It was just alright for me tonight. It got good at the end.

Paula – I understand what you’re saying, but what I like is you got back to the youthfulness. You look adorable tonight. The energy of what you brought tonight is who you are. Lisa, you’re sixteen years old and you are a powerhouse like Barry Mannilow said. I think this week is my favorite week and I think it’s because with you all working with a pro like Barry, you got to see what it takes to sustain in this business. I think you have a big career ahead of you.

Simon – I thought it was, as Randy said, okay. You know, there are times tonight if I’m being honest with you, like I’m trapped in some sort of a high school musical or something and I wanna leave. You know, it’s all a bit cutesy. It was okay, I wouldn’t say that was a wow performance. The end as Randy said was good.

8) Kevin Covais - "When I Fall in Love" by Nat King Cole

Randy – You chose one of my favorite songs of all time. You did a pretty good job of it. There were a couple of pitch things in there, but there’s something about you. I see me in you. You’re definitely in the Dawg Pound for real.

Paula – It takes a lot of courage to start the song sitting about ten feet away from Simon. It really does. You know what I love about you, Kevin is you got more mocksy  than any other person in this competition. People adore you. Another good job tonight.

Simon – Kevin, I like you. You’re like a man. You take it well. I’m not going to say it’s the best version of the song that I’ve ever heard, because it wasn’t. However, you know, I think who your audience is and I think your audience are going to love that version.

9) Elliott Yamin - "Teach Me Tonight" by Frank Sinatra

Randy – You chose probably the toughest song to sing tonight. I haven’t heard all the others but the chord changes and the modulations in it. Oh my God! And you know what? You worked it out, baby! Love you! Love your voice! There were a couple little rough spots, but with the level of difficulty you worked it out, baby, you worked it out.

Paula – I’ve got goosebumps. Elliott, you move me. You just move a lot of people. I hear so many people respond to you just walking down the streets. You’re fantastic and you’re so need in this competition. You are loved.

Simon – Since this is a singing competition, allow me to judge your singing. It was fantastic.

10) Kellie Pickler - "Walkin After Midnight" by Patsy Cline

Randy – Great song choice. The country pop girl is back. I like how you gave Simon that wink over there.

Paula – You were a tigress tonight. This was a true authentic Kellie Pickler performance.

Simon – Kellie, you’ve got this absolutely right. You know, you were back doing what you do best. It was ballsy, it was sexy, it was just great! Welcome back.

11) Ace Young - "In the Still of the Night" by Five Satins

Randy – Ace is back tonight. You know why? You took a classic song and you brought something new and fresh to it. Props to you! You’re back tonight, baby.

Paula – I counted 34 signs that say “Ace Will You Marry Me?”. I’ll tell you this much. That was probably the sexiest, sultriest performance that you’ve done this whole season. It was amazing.

Simon – It wasn’t the best vocal tonight but I don’t think that matters. You’re not going to be in the bottom three this week. It was one of your stronger performances. It was a lot better than last week.

The best kind of friend is the one you could sit on a porch with, never saying a word, and walk away feeling like that was the best conversation you've had.
Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2006, 09:57:07 PM »

Elimination Results : Kevin Covais

Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2006, 08:42:28 PM »

Week #6 - Top 10 Contestants – 21st Century

1) Lisa Tucker - "Because of You" by Kelly Clarkson

Randy – I’ve got to be honest with you. It’s an interesting way to start off the night, to sing a huge hit song by a former Idol winner and just do a kind of okay version of it. It was really just all right for me, man. It really wasn’t that good.

Paula – Lisa, you know it’s a tough choice to do something like that. If you’re going to do something like that …. Well, first let me compliment you. We all know that you can sing your butt off. That’s the truth. But when you take a song that’s so popular, especially from a girl who started and got her whole career going from this show, you’ve gotta take a choice on the song and make it completely different so there’s no comparison whatsoever.

Simon – There’s nothing you can do with the song. The song’s the song. The truth is, Lisa, is that the song was too big for your voice. And there were parts during the performance where it was actually painful. Let me just say something. Everything sounds great here tonight because we’re all having a lovely time. Watch it back on TV and you’ll know what I mean. It didn’t work. Sorry!

2) Kellie Pickler - "Suds in the Bucket" by Sara Evans

Randy – I like the fact that you returned to your country roots, but I’m just a little puzzled by the song choice. I mean  21st Century, this song wasn’t really exciting enough for your voice. I think you’re better than that, it just didn’t show enough for me for you. I didn’t get the song choice. I don’t know.

Paula – Kellie, I’ll even go one step further. You’re way better than that song choice and it didn’t show your range. It didn’t show your personality, You’re so much better than that.

Simon – Look, Kellie, the reality is that you’ve got six years of songs to choose from and you choose a song called “Soap Suds in a Bucket.” I mean come on! I mean there are thousands and thousands of songs to choose from and you choose some gimmicky, rodeo, lassoing whatever choice of song.

3) Ace Young - "Drops of Jupiter" by Train

Randy – I gotta tell you, I don’t know what’s going on tonight because once again, completely the wrong song for you and you didn’t sing it well. It’s like, I don’t know what’s happening. I mean with all those songs to choose from, Ace, it didn’t have a soul vibe. You’ve got to have that soul thing you do like *NSync. It was a completely different song for me for you. I didn’t like this, dude.

Paula – I’m not going to be as harsh as you are on that. I don’t think …. It’s refreshing after the last two performances. However, there is one thing I will agree. You’ve chose some really great songs in the past, to me it wasn’t my most favorite but I still think you did a good job. Is that a scar you were showing? One day you’ll have to explain to me how you got that one.

Simon –Thank you, Paula. Look, I know what Randy is saying here, Ace, because if the theme is the 21st century, all of you have a chance tonight to prove that you are as good as the contemporary artists around today. That wasn’t a great vocal. You’re now going to remember that as a great vocal. It was just … I actually thought it was quite karaoke, actually, I did.

4) Taylor Hicks - "Trouble" by Ray Lamontagne

Randy – I guess what’s interesting about tonight is that we’re seeing songs that you guys could choose that could show us the kind of records that you could make. I mean, I guess that song was close to what I would imagine you would make, to me it just wasn’t’ a song for me for you. Because it didn’t let you show off. You know what I mean? Once again, it’s like you almost got going at the end, but it was like “Dude! Come on, man!” I mean it was alright, man. It wasn’t the best for me for you.

Paula – Quite the contrary, it’s nice to see you just stand behind the mic and just sing a song. What I do appreciate about you, even though you are young, 28 or 29 years old, you are an old soul and you’re teaching the new generation a lot about legends and who you look up to and that’s great.

Simon – I quite liked the song. I thought it was an excellent vocal. The only slight problem I have is the styling. I’ll tell you why, because it’s very Clay Aiken. I like the fact about you, that you were different and you stood out and this is all a bit pop school.

5) Mandisa - "Wanna Praise You" by Mary Mary

Randy – There’s no question that you can definitely definitely sing. You’re one of the best singers in this, but I mean still for me I don’t know. The song choices for me, I don’t quite get it.

Paula – All I know is that there’s a new religion and 40 million people now have joined the church of Mandisa. One little bit of constructive criticism. You are the most brilliant singer, I would love to see you color it up with a little bit of vulnerability with the next choice.

Simon – Mandisa, I thought it was a bit indulgent, if I’m being honest with you. I just didn’t get that. Not for me.

Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2006, 09:26:01 PM »

6) Chris Daughtry - "What If" by Creed

Randy – I like the song. It wasn’t my favorite song that you’ve done. I like the song choice for you, because you can tell what kind of records you want to make and I think you know what kind of records you want to make, but you were sharp most of the song. It wasn’t your best vocal tonight. I don’t know what happened.

Paula – Chris, I’m not trying to stutter, but what if what if I said twenty times. I’m one of your biggest fans.

Simon – Chris, for the first time I’m going to be negative with you because again I think that was indulgent. The second time, whatever. There is a line you don’t cross. Okay, Creed would not be seen dead on this show. If the show is American Idol, you’ve got to start showing, in my opinion, a different side to you. I think you’ve gone too far with that song tonight. It stands out, but I’m just saying that you’ve got to start showing, at this point, another side. You can’t keep doing this week after week after week.

7) Katherine McPhee - "The Voice Within" by Christina Aguilera

Randy – You know by now that I’m definitely one of your biggest fans in this. Although, it was a good song choice, I guess, but you sang it just like the record. But it was good, but you didn’t do anything new to it, you know what I mean? At least I know the kind of records that you would make. It was a good song choice for you.

Paula – We stress all the time, if you’re going to sing or take a song like Selena or Christina, you’ve got to change it up, but you know what? Katherine, I wouldn’t have changed a thing. You were, I think, your best. I think Christina would feel very honored that you sang that

Simon – I think it was the best tonight and it was almost as good as Christina.

8) Bucky Covington - "Real Good Man" by Tim McGraw

Randy – This is definitely the right kind of song for you. Definitely you’re back at home in your country suit and I like that better man.

Paula – It’s familiar to you. That’s what you do on stage. Be careful with your diction, so we can hear everything that you’re saying. That’s the only bit of criticism there.

Simon – Actually, you know for once I agree with Paula. I couldn’t understand a single word you just said. You know I’ve got to be honest with you, Bucky, I thought it was just okay. I mean if this was a paid concert, this would be the point I’d leave, to be honest with you. I would. I think it’s very unimpressive tonight. I really do. I thought that was just what I call winging it. It was okay.

9) Paris Bennett  - "Work It Out" by Beyonce

Randy – Paris, all I can say is that was fearless, it was the bomb, you worked it out tonight. That, to me, was the best performance of the night, thus far. America, this is a hot one right here!

Paula – Paris, I’m sorry but you said you wanted to be a kid tonight. Those weren’t kid moves. Beyonce’s probably going “Oh, my god!” because you know nobody does it like her, but I think The Pussycat Dolls might be calling you up to star in their show. That was awesome!

Simon – Well, I’m sorry to put a damper on everything, because I thought it was precocious. It’s like a little girl pretending to be Beyonce. Whopee!

10) Elliott Yamin - "I Don’t Wanna Be" by Gavin Degraw

Randy – I wasn’t really quite sure about the arrangement or whatever, but America, this boy can sing! We got another hot one tonight!

Paula – You know what? I love the arrangement and I love that you made it your own, because you are one funky white boy. Unbelievable! And I love the arrangement. Fantastic!

Simon – Great song, terrible arrangement, good vocal and the dancing was hideous.

Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2006, 09:28:03 PM »

Elimination Results : Lisa Tucker

Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2006, 07:34:26 PM »

Week #7 - Top 9 Contestants – Country (special guest : Kenny Rogers)

1) Taylor Hicks - "Take Me Home (Country Roads)" by John Denver

Randy – For me, it was probably a really good choice for you. I thought the vocal was just okay. I didn’t think it was really exciting. My problem is some people might think for country week the songs are easier, but I didn’t see you exude any of your personality that we’ve come to know you for. It was just okay.

Paula – You know I love you, Taylor, but I feel like you are so full of life and electrifying, but to me the song choice didn’t allow you to shine for me. It was kinda like you just sang it as it is and I expected a little more out of you.

Simon – I thought it was safe, boring, lazy. It sounded like you’d chosen that song ten seconds ago, no rehearsal and “I’ll just sing a country song. Whoopee!” It didn’t do anything for you really.   

2) Mandisa - "Any Man of Mine" by Shania Twain

Randy – I can tell this is going to be another interesting night for me. Listen, weird song choice for me and the beginning of it really wasn’t that hot for me. It was weird, like you were finding your lower range and it just wasn’t quite connecting. But, the good thing is that at least at the end, the last four bars, you got it together and showed some of that personality. I was like lost. I was like “Whoa!”

Paula – Mandisa, you can sing the phone book. You can sing the encyclopedia. You can sing anything. Your voice is amazing. The song for me, I don’t know, but we know your voice is good.

Simon – I thought the song was horrible, Mandisa, to be honest with you. I did. Why is it I get booed for being constructive? All I’m saying is that I didn’t like the song. We now know that this kind of music doesn’t …. It was fun, it was cutesy, but it was just … I actually liked the four seconds afterwards.

3) Elliott Yamin - "If Tomorrow Never Comes" by Garth Brooks

Randy – Right now, I’m sitting here thinking I love the song, great Garth Brooks choice. I had the pleasure of producing this song, but Barry Manilow used it though. I loved the song, I loved the song! But dude, finally tonight the competition is started because you brought it down and it was hot! You brought the flavor on, with the Stevie vibe and I love that.

Paula – There are so many things that I adore about you, Elliott, and one of them is that you are such a breath of fresh air this business, because you are humble, you are understated and you know you’re great but you just have that careless, reckless abandon about you. You know how to pick the right songs for your voice and you stay true to who you are. I think you’re fantastic and you keep going.

Simon The thing is, Paula, I’ve used those very same words about you. Elliott, I thought it was a good song choice. I didn’t think it was a great vocal. It was safe. I thought is was a bit hesitant, actually. Like you were nervous. It came over funny enough tonight. You know I didn’t hear that same confidence I’m used to. It was the best so far, I think you’re going to have to do better than that in the future, to be honest with you.

4) Paris Bennett - "How Do I Live Without You" by Leann Rimes/Trisha Yearwood

Randy – I can tell this is a tough song for you tonight, right? I can tell this is one of the toughest songs you’ve sung. People might think country is going to be easy or whatever, but straight melodies are still hard to sing. The front part of it was not good, but by the middle of it, you kinda got it together, so it was just alright for me tonight.

Paula – The great thing about you, Paris, is that you have a powerhouse voice. What I saw tonight though, and I what I felt is that this wasn’t. I have joy when you perform and I didn’t feel like you connected with the song and I felt like it was kind of a struggle for you to find that place where you own the stage like you always do week after week.

Simon –Paris, I have to disagree with Paula. I am loving this! I thought it was very good. I thought is was an excellent choice of song. I need a big cheer after this one. Early Dionne Warwick, I thought. Very good.

************************************************************************************5) Ace Young - "I Want to Cry Tonight" by Keith Urban

Randy – Once again, these are some hard songs to bring your own personality to. These are really tough songs. Just singing the simple melody’s really hard. It was nice, it was really boring for me. The good thing for you, is at the end at least you showed a little falsetto. It was like “Okay, there’s Ace!” at the very end, at least.

Paula – I totally disagree with you, Randy. I think, Ace, you have a knack for picking the right song for your voice and when you go into the high falsetto, that’s your signature. And you know what? That’s who you are and I thought it was a contemporary, nice take on the song.

Simon – Ace, interestingly I think the last couple of weeks you haven’t chosen the right songs. Tonight, however, I think you did. I think you had a good night tonight. Very good.

6) Kellie Pickler - "Fancy" by Reba McEntire

Randy – Finally in your element. I thought it was great! I actually liked the song choice for you. I thought it was really really good, man. Your element, this is your night, baby! This is your night.

Paula – I think it’s best when you can pick songs that you really sink your teeth into. This was one of them. I agree, this was a great night for you.

Simon – Well, it would be a shocker if you didn’t do well tonight, wouldn’t it Kellie? I hated the song personally, but I thought your performance was very good.

7) Chris Daughtry - "Making Memories of Us" by Keith Urban

Randy – You know what’s good about tonight? What’s cool man, is that every week we’ve been hearing you do your rocker thing, right? So it was good for you to change up tonight and actually sit there and sing a song. I actually really enjoyed it, man, hearing you sing. Good job on the Keith Urban song, baby. Good job!

Paula – You show versatility and you still stay true to who you are. What a concept!

Simon – Chris, listen, it was great to see a different side of you. Having said that, I think that for two weeks now, you as contestants have chosen really boring, uninteresting songs and I think the audience at home deserves better than that. I really do. They’re not good songs.

8) Katharine McPhee - "Bringing Out the Elvis" by Faith Hill

Randy – So kinda bluesy, country yeah? I like it. You sang it very nice. Very nice! Good job, dawg, good job!

Paula – That’s your style, that’s your niche. You look sexy, hot. Cool!

Simon I don’t know what to say anymore. I really don’t. That song was just so peculiar. You’re right, I hate it.

9) Bucky Covington - "Best I Ever Had" by Gary Allan

Randy – It was alright tonight, man. It started off a little out of tune, a little pitchy in the front, but then you got it together. It’s good to see you in your element. It’s a good song choice for you, I think.

Paula – Again, you and Kellie probably shined most tonight. This is your element. Wear that hat proud!

Simon – Bucky, I’m not an expert on this kind of music, but you know it sounded okay to me. Yeah, it’s okay!

Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2006, 07:37:31 PM »

Elimination Results : Mandisa

Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2006, 09:05:37 PM »

Week #8 - Top 8 Contestants – Queen (special guest : Queen)

1) Bucky Covington - "Fat Bottomed Girls"

Randy – Nice way to start the show, man! A lot of energy, in fact I thought it was like a Bucky concert, kind of rock and country. A little pitchy problems, but I liked it baby, I liked it. It was nice, man.

Paula – You know, it was very interesting for me that you kept true to who you are and you made “Fat Bottomed Girls” a country song, a country/rock song …. And it was great! You did a great job!

Simon – You know, Bucky, it was a good choice of song for you, I guess. Ummm …. I think the song was bigger than you. Over all I would classify that as quite mediocre.

2) Ace Young - "We Will Rock You"

Randy – Ace baby, that’s a big song, man! I was worried, you know, like “How is Ace going to do this? Man, how’s he going to bring this down?” Dude, for me it was like about a five or a six. It was just alright, dude. I’m sorry … I didn’t get it. It was just karaoke for me. I’m sorry, dawg.

Paula – Well, Ace, you know what? I feel like the band … it’s Brian May, I know. It’s their song, their music and they don’t want it changed like that in any sort of way. I like how you paid tribute at the beginning, I like what you tried to do in the middle and change the arrangement around. A little pitchy, but I appreciate the fact that you know what time it is right now in the competition and you took a risk.

Simon – Ace, I think Randy was being generous. I think it was a complete and utter mess. Ace, it didn’t work. It was all over the place. You were forgetting your words, it was “We Will Rock You” gently. It just didn’t work. I really really really hated that. Sorry.

3) Kellie Pickler - "Bohemian Rhapsody"

Randy – So check it out … When I first heard today that you were gonna do that song, dude, I was like worried. I was like, “Awww, man! God, come on!” but you know what? It’s a fly jacket and guess what? You know what’s even better than that? I think you worked it out! I was entertained. I liked it.

Paula – It was extremely ambitious. Especially last year, Constantine Maroulis, that was his shining moment. I was a little nervous too. You started off a little hesitant, but you worked it out and showed the rocker chick that you are.

Simon Kellie, you’re a very brave girl. Very brave girl. Apart from the fact that it started when the whole look of it was like “Night of the Living Dead”. You know it was like the eyes and the light, but actually I kind of agree with Randy and Paula. I mean on paper it should have been completely hideous and I think a lot of people will think it was hideous. I think it worked. You did good.

4) Chris Daughtry - "Innuendo"

Randy – Chris, you know I’ve been one of your fans since day one, right? I love the whole real rocker thing. I think you represent this whole alternative rock thing. Dude, I got to say that I was expecting big things from you tonight, man. Dude, you definitely did not disappoint. You delivered, baby! You’re hot tonight! Yeah!

Paula – Chris, was that last note, it was like a high C? Chris, the reason the band probably never performed it live is because they probably don’t want to and only you probably could. And there have been more times when you’ve superseded, even when the band performs. That’s why you should look back at the package and watch how they are in admiration over your performance. Incredible!

Simon –Chris, they don’t perform that song live because it’s not a very good song. It’s not. Look, I will grant you the best vocal tonight, best believable vocal tonight. I’m just disappointed, Chris, but I just think it’s a shame that you didn’t decide to entertain the audience at home with one of the great Queen songs, because you could’ve had a moment tonight. And it was to me, once again, the song was too indulgent.

5) Katharine McPhee - "Who Wants to Live Forever"

Randy – It was good to kind of hear your choice of song. I think it was a good idea to hear you switch your song and kind of return to the form, because this is your element. A little Broadway, a big song, kind of big voice. It was a little pitchy in spots and at some points I thought it was a little big for you, but you did a good job, I think, all in all. 

Paula – I love when I see an artist make a choice to change their mind and you mind the right decision to just stand there and be glorious, with your glorious voice. I mean, it’s a song that big singers like Celine and Barbra Streisand take on and you, Katharine McPhee, can handle it and you did a great job.

Simon – Katharine, I mean, that was almost the moment. You know, I agree with Randy. I think there were some tuning problems at parts. You owe a big kiss to the director and the lighting director there, because they made you look amazing. It was really good.  Over all I think it was one of the strongest tonight. Very good.

6) Elliott Yamin - "Somebody to Love"

Randy – Arguably, probably the hardest song to sing tonight. With all the chord changes and all the stuff, I was looking forward to you singing Queen though, because you’ve got that vibrato that kind of matches Freddy Mercury’s. There were some pitchy problems, but I tell you what dude, all in all I loved you, man. I thought you did really really well.

Paula – The best vocal tonight! What I love about you is you took the best parts of that song and put it into a minute and twenty seconds and you gave the best Elliott Yamin performance.

Simon – You know, Elliott, as they’ve said, you chose the tough one. You know, I agree with Randy. It was kind of an in and out performance. Over all I think you probably pulled it off.

7) Taylor Hicks - "A Crazy Little Thing Called Love"

Randy – Alright, so look. The last two weeks I’ve been wondering where is Taylor, man? Where has Taylor gone? Tonight America, Taylor’s back and he’s kicking!  That was hot!

Paula – Taylor, we’ve heard this song so many times but it was refreshing, a breath of fresh air, actually authentic Taylor. And I don’t know whether we should give you a record deal or a straight jacket.

Simon – Taylor, are you drunk? I thought it was ridiculous.

8) Paris Bennett - "The Show Must Go On"

Randy – I knew it was going to be hard. I knew it was going to be tough. It started out a little rough, got a little rough in the middle, but you worked it out in the end. Yes, you worked it out, baby!

Paula – The whole country and every single rock group is finding out that you are the powerhouse that you are. Keep on rockin’!

Simon – I found it all a little weird.

Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2006, 09:07:51 PM »

Elimination Results : Bucky Covington

Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2006, 06:59:46 PM »

Week #9 - Top 7 Contestants – Great American Songbook (special guest : Rod Stewart)

1) Chris Daughtry - "What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong

Randy – For everyone that thought there wasn’t another side to Chris, dude you just slayed them. You showed the sensitive side and it was the bomb!

Paula – You have definitely proven to this guy *points to Simon* beyond the two of us *motions to herself and Randy* and our opinions, you have shown that you are in this to win it. You broke out of any mold that he thought you were in and you did a fantastic job.

Simon – Well, I have to take a certain amount of credit for that performance, and I’ll tell you why. Because I’ve said for awhile that you have to change your style. I think you’ve proven the point by listening to me that you can do better in this competition. Chris, I thought it was a great performance. Congratulations!

2) Paris Bennett - "Foolish Things" by Billie Holliday

Randy – You should stand up there very proud tonight because I think this was your greatest night ever. I was so the bomb, so great, every note in tune. You sang the melody, you didn’t veer off of it. This was a classy, great performance tonight.

Paula – And what’s brilliant about it is that you’re 17 and tonight’s performance reminds me of how we all fell in love with you at your audition. It’s like you were born in that era, and don’t get me wrong, I love all the styles, but I really do believe if you make an album in this genre it would blow up.

Simon – Paris, it was stylish, it was cool. I mean you bewilder me. You talk like Minnie Mouse and yet you sing it that very grown up way. It’s like there’s two sides of you. I mean I prefer the singing to the talking, but I thought it was terrific.

3) Taylor Hicks - "You Send Me" by Sam Cooke

Randy – My, my, my! Taylor, what a difference some different music makes. I mean this is a crazy night, man! I mean I’m just blown away tonight that all of you guys are in your element. I mean the song started I was like, “Okay. Cool, cool. Everybody loves Sam Cooke.” But dude, you put your own self in it at the end. See, you’ve been listening to the dawg! See Simon, he’s been listening to the dawg. Keep it real, baby! Keep it real! That was hot, man. That was hot!

Paula – Sam would be proud of you, boy! You know, Taylor, you are finally in that zone to go the distance. You’ve proven that tonight. You hit every note perfect. The ending was superb and the best take on the song. And I applaud you and I think the Soul Patrol’s probably on fire tonight!

Simon – It started and I thought, “Okay, lame cabaret.” And then magic!

4) Elliott Yamin - "It Had to Be You" by Harry Connick Jr./Rod Stewart

Randy – Elliott, good song choice, man! Very excellent song choice. I’ll tell you man, what a different a couple weeks make. You know, very very nice. I like that everybody’s relaxed, in control and singing good. Very nice job, baby. Very nice.

Paula – This is the perfect song choice for you and what you’ve done that’s amazing is you are contemporizing a genre like Michael Buble, but with more soul like Harry Connick Jr. And it’s amazing watching you each week, just you are so much in the American Idol zone. And I’ve never seen a season, in five seasons, I may just speed this up, where there are so many of you that are capable of winning this competition.

Simon – Elliott, it was a good vocal. However, tonight more than any other night, personality is going to play a key role. I thought the performance lacked a degree of personality, so therefore I am slightly concerned for you.

5) Kellie Pickler - "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered" by Ella Fitzgerald

Randy – So you look as if you kinda know what I’m going to say. What am I going to say? Well, listen. It wasn’t that bad. It started pretty good. It got a little pitchy in middle there, because this is a very difficult song to sing. I don’t know if this was my favorite song for you to sing. I don’t know if it’s the right choice, but yeah it was definitely pitchy in spots. Very tough, very tough.

Paula – Well let me top it off by doing what I always do. You’ve got to give it up for the fashion. You look exquisite. I think that for me I loved the beginning. You started off very vulnerable and it was like … I can’t wait for your acting career to begin too, because your face, the camera loves you. You started getting ahead of the music towards the end. Other than that, you got it going. You got it going on.

Simon – You know, Kellie, the truth was it was a boring song. It felt, it was almost like you didn’t choose it. It was like it didn’t suit you. You didn’t even need to bother with the bewitched and the bothered, did you? You could’ve just done bewildered. It wasn’t great.

6) Ace Young - "That’s All" by Ricky Nelson/Rod Stewart/Michael Buble

Randy – So check it out, dawg. When it started out, man, you came out in the suit. I kinda like the whole vibe with the hair pulled back. You know I used to do that whole kinda thing, right? But you know what was cool man, is that you had a little bit of a problem in the middle of the song in the bridge, but dude you worked it out in the end. I think I’d love to hear you sing the whole song in false, dude. That’s your money there. The false is the money, baby.

Paula – That’s your pocket token to whatever you want. I think it’s such an interesting thing to see you dressed like that. It’s a whole new Ace in a different light. I love it. I think tonight, and all of you may feel this is a weird night for you, you may feel it’s going to put us to sleep, but this is a magical night. You guys are going to look back and watch this and say, “Wow! I did great!” You did great.

Simon – It wasn’t bad. You know, it was a little bit nasally in the middle of the song, but I thought it was a charming performance.

7) Katharine McPhee - "Someone to Watch Over Me" by Frank Sinatra

Randy – This is your element. You love these kinds of songs. Man, you sailed on this. You put even the little runs at the end. I loved it! It was excellent.

Paula – Tonight I feel like I’m watching for the first time. Falling in love with the essence of who you are. This reminds me of “Mr. Holland’s Opus”. And you know what? You pick the most perfect song that is so you. Congratulations, you’re elegant. Elegant and beautiful.

Simon – I really think, Katharine, you made the others look like good amateurs. It was in another completely and utterly different league. You look like a returning pro. I thought it was so much better than the others. It was great.

Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2006, 07:04:28 PM »

Elimination Results : Ace Young

Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2006, 08:44:49 PM »

Week #10 - Top 6 Contestants – Classic Love Songs (special guest : Andrea Bocelli)

1) Katharine McPhee - "I Have Nothing" by Whitney Houston

Randy – I must say I was a little bit worried about this week, because you know great love songs, it was probably a good choice of song but I honestly think, just keeping it real, it was too big for you. This song, I mean all the runs. You’re talking about copying a song, singing a song Whitney Houston in her prime was one of the best singers in the known world. That didn’t come close. Baby, I’m sorry.

Paula – Katharine, let me start by saying as usual, you are stunning. It’s really tough in the competition now. It’s serious and tough and I’m going to try to be a little bit on that side. There were pitch problems. Going back to last week when you sang, that is your zone. When you don’t push your vocals, when you are singing in your natural voice and you sing in your false voice. You don’t have to be on stage and over sing, because sometimes what happens is you got a little flat when you hit the power note. Having said that, this is a tough song to sing. It is very difficult to sing. You are a star. You were born to sing. Know what your money is. Your money is your intimate vocal. That’s what I feel. Other than that, you are a star.

Simon – Katharine, very simple. By choosing that song, it is like coming out here and saying, “I am as good as Whitney Houston.” You’re not. That was the problem. I also thought it was quite old fashioned and actually quite cabaret. So I think you went backwards there, because if you’re gonna sing a song like a Whitney song, you’ve got to be as good. And what you told us was you’re not. Bad advice.

2) Elliott Yamin - "A Song for You" by Donnie Hathaway

Randy – I did not like the arrangement. The arrangement was way too confusing, way too much, but I love you! You are dope. The arrangement was just overshadowing the vocals. Donnie is dope. You can sing it like the record any time, because you’ve got it like that. You were the bomb, tonight!

Paula – You move me. *crying* You celebrate what this competition is all about and you know I spent the day yesterday watching the tapes of when everyone first started and you’ve moved me from the beginning. But you are just a handsome, evolved performer that … You are. You are the American Idol. You’re beautiful.

Simon – Seven weeks ago I said that in my opinion you are one of the best male vocalists we’ve ever had. Tonight, in parts, that was like a vocal master class. It was superb.

3) Kellie Pickler - "Unchained Melody" by The Righteous Brothers

Randy – This is funny. The second week in a row, as I’m about to speak, you look at me with that … You think you butchered this one too, right? There were just pitch problems. You never really quite got on. The only thing that was good was the note was in tune, but it was just very strange, this one. It just wasn’t the right song.

Paula – Kellie, it’s hard at this point of the competition. The six of you are fantastic. I don’t see you breaking the bar each week and I adore you. I think that America has fallen in love with you, but at this point it is about greatness and I don’t feel that for me.

Simon – I think that deserved tears, but for a very different reason. I thought it was like the never ending song, to be honest with you. It was like never gonna finish. It was so monotonous and so bland. There was no heart or warmth from your vocal at all. I n fact, you were like a robot during that performance.

4) Paris Bennett - "The Way We Were" by Barbra Streisand

Randy – So, you know what? I thought it was pretty good. I mean, I’m not saying I was blown away, but I liked it. I wasn’t over the top about it, but I liked it. I thought it was good. I mean you can sing anything.

Paula – Paris, you were born to sing. I felt like you over sang the song a little bit, but overall the best female vocal tonight. 

Simon – Very good vocal, a bit old fashioned for my taste. It sounded a bit like you were trying to impersonate an older artist.

5) Taylor Hicks - "Just Once" by Quincy Jones/James Ingram

Randy – Taylor, man, I don’t know what’s going on. I don’t know if it’s me tonight or whatever, but dude, that song was completely the wrong song for me for you. I didn’t get it. It wasn’t half as good as the original. It felt like weird karaoke to me. I don’t know what’s happening, man. I don’t know what’s going on.

Paula – I love James Ingram. It is the perfect love song. You know what, Taylor? There are sensitive sides to you and there are playful sides. Every cell in your body is born to be on that stage performing. There’s not doubt about it. It wasn’t my favorite song. You look handsome as heck.

Simon – Taylor, you looked uptight tonight and I’m going to be honest with you. Taking that performance outside of American Idol, you hear that every night, every day of the week in hotel lounges, a performance like that. It was, and I’ll tell you why. It was the phrasing, it was the performance as a whole. That’s what it reminded me of. It was not a winning performance.

6) Chris Daughtry - "Have You Really Loved a Woman" by Bryan Adams

Randy – Amazing! Love the jacket, love you. You were amazing!

Paula – Love you! We all love you! Love you love you love you!

Simon – That was a very very good choice of song and it was a great performance. Very sexy song.

Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2006, 08:46:37 PM »

Elimination Results : Kellie Pickler

Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2006, 11:16:54 AM »

Week #11 - Top 5 Contestants – Birth Year/Billboard Hot 100

1) Elliott Yamin - "On Broadway" by George Benson (1978)

Randy – Started a little rough for me, man. But by the middle of the song you got it together, man. That shows the beautiful talent that you’ve got there, man. Very nice, dude. Very nice.

Paula – Elliott, you know I agree with Randy on that. But the ending, with the vibrato, you know you have such a rich voice. Way to go!

Simon – I don’t think that was your best performance. I thought it was a bit disjointed and I think you’re very lucky you’ve got two songs tonight.

2) Paris Bennett - "Kiss" by Prince (1988)

Randy – Nice to see you having a little fun. You know, showing that you thing. At least Simon can’t say this in an old song. Right, Simon? But I thought it was nice. I liked it.

Paula – You know, Paris, the whole country knows you can sing your butt off. For me, I just love when you sing songs from the past era.

Simon – Screechy and annoying.

3) Chris Daughtry - "Renegade" by Styx (1979)

Randy – Chris, yo dawg, all I can say man is America, we got a real hot one tonight! Right here! That was hot, baby.

Paula – Outstanding! You’re already setting it far apart from everyone else. Good … you’re on your path.

Simon – Okay, for me Chris, that was a million times better than the first two performances. It was a great choice of song. Well done.

4) Katharine McPhee - "Against All Odds" by Phil Collins (1984)

Randy – You look amazing. I don’t know if the key was exactly right for you. It seemed though. You seemed to have some problems there in the beginning, but I thought it got okay at the end. It was okay at the end. I don’t know if the key was too low.

Paula – Yes, you do look stunning. That’s a lovely dress. Not my favorite performance from you. See, what I like about you is you always know. I like that. 

Simon – Well, Katharine, as you know I got it completely wrong last week and I did apologize. However, tonight in parts it was a mess and the song ran away from you basically. So I agree with Paula and Randy, it was by far one of your best performances. But you’ve got two songs so you’re a lucky girl. If I said it was one of your best performances, it wasn’t. That’s what I was trying to say.

5) Taylor Hicks - "Play That Funky Music" by Wild Cherry (1976)

Randy – Dude, I know you had a good time, dawg, but that was another wild choice for me. I felt like I was in a bar and I had a couple. But, wow! I mean yeah!

Paula – You dressed the part, you had fun, this is the authentic Taylor that we love!

Simon – Taylor, for me it was like, and I’ve said this before, like a horrible horrible wedding performance. Sorry! Sorry! I liked the end when you collapsed.

6) Elliott Yamin - "Home" by Michael Buble

Randy

Paula

Simon

7) Paris Bennett - "Be Without You" by Mary J. Blige

Randy – Definitely taking a big risk singing Mary, because that’s like Mary’s joint. That’s her like vibe. But you know what? All in all, there were a couple of pitchy things here and there but you rocked it, man. You did your thing on that vocal. I liked that.

Paula – It’s very difficult to catch that vibe like Mary has, but you know, you got it. I love your voice! I was hoping that maybe you would do your own Paris flip on it, though.

Simon – Actually, I think you got that wrong, Paula. I think she did rather well with that.

8) Chris Daughtry - "I Dare You" by Shinedown

Randy – I can already tell, dawg, that like your voice is starting to give out a little bit. The song was a little high. I’m not sure I love that song for you, but it was just alright for me, baby. It was just alright.

Paula – Maybe the song wasn’t my favorite, but I love ya.

Simon – It was not a great song and your voice is going, Chris. I mean it really felt like it was going to give way half way through that. I don’t know if it was the wrong key or what, but you’ve gotta watch yourself. But you know what? Great first song, so you’re going to be fine.

9) Katharine McPhee  - "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree" by KT Tunstall

Randy – This is a wild show tonight, but I’ll tell you what. You know what? Now that’s more like the Katharine that I grew to love. That’s more of the vibe. There we go! Come on, man!

Paula – I love the little choreography and the little intimacy. You picked these two guys to do this. This was a great performance.

Simon – This is a strange show. Taylor’s lying down, you’re on your knees. This is strange. However, Katharine, you know I much prefer that to the first song because you know what? It was different, it was younger, it showed more personality. It was a good choice of song.

10) Taylor Hicks - "Something" by The Beatles

Randy – Wow! Here’s the cool part, man. You chose a great song. I mean it was a nice tender moment for you, man. I like this whole Beatles vibe. We need a wholes Beatles night going on here, man. Come on … right, Paula?

Paula – I think it’s very daring to sing a song like that, but you moved it tenderly. It was …. You didn’t over sing it. You did great!

Simon – Well, I don’t know how you got a song which is 30 years old into hits of today, but that was clever. You know what, Taylor? It’s very easy to forget with all your balminess that you’re a very very good singer. That was good.

Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2006, 11:21:37 AM »

Elimination Results : Paris Bennett

Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2006, 12:48:13 PM »

Week #12 - Top 4 Contestants – Elvis

1) Taylor Hicks - "Jailhouse Rock" (1957)

Randy – Wow, man! You are in your element now. That felt good, didn’t it? Way to start off the show! Good job, baby! Good job.

Paula – Taylor, you look fantastic, you’re original as ever and you were phenomenal.

Simon – Right. Let me ask you two a favor. There are four people left in the competition, right? So now we’re going to get real tonight. In the real world, that was a terrible impersonation of Elvis Presley. The dancing was hideous and it was just karaoke with a capital K. It was.

2) Chris Daughtry - "Suspicious Minds" (1969)

Randy – So a nice, kind of tender moment from my dawg, Chris, man. It was nice. I don’t know if it was your best vocal performance for me, but it was kind of nice. Kind of nice. It was alright.

Paula – You know what? You forget how great that song is until you hear Chris Daughtry sing it. And you know what? See you in the finals!

Simon – Sunglasses aside, that worked.

3) Elliott Yamin - "I Can Dream" (1968)

Randy – So, you man, when you were going to do this thing, I was like, “Ah, dude I don’t know! Elvis?” but you know what, dude? You laid it out. That was hot, baby! That was hot. You made it your own. I love that.

Paula – Simon was telling me this was the big closer for Elvis in the performances and I’ve got to tell you this … you …. I think this is the best vocal performance you’ve done this entire season.

Simon – Elliott, you came into the show tonight, I think as the underdog. You chose a song which not many people at home are going to know and yet, so far, that was the best performance so far.

4) Katharine McPhee - "Hound Dog" (1956)/ “All Shook Up” (1957)

Randy – So, I know you had a good time. You had a good time with that. That was fun, you kind of did your thing at the end. But what happened in the middle, I might say? All of a sudden you got really quiet, and I was like, “Oh, she forgot the words!”.

Paula – That was the best part! That you worked the choreography out when you turned around like that. But that’s very smart. It was really fun seeing you dance up there. Really fun.

Simon – Katharine, I’ll tell you what it reminded me of. All across America, you hold auditions for theatrical productions. It looked like a desperate, manic audition. I can sing, I can dance. It was manic, it was shrieky, and to be fair, this is always going to be tough for you. It just, for me, wasn’t a great performance overall. To be honest with you, I hope you’ve got a second better song.

5) Taylor Hicks - "In the Ghetto" (1969)

Randy – Real real real constructive criticism, right, you ready? The right key for you, finally. The right song for you, finally. When, and if you make your record, this is the kind of record you should make. That was hot, America! That was hot!

Paula – And what was great about it, Taylor, is that it shows a whole different side. You have the whole playful, unique side and this brings it to show how well rounded of an artist you are.

Simon – You know what I’m going to say. I mean there is a world apart from me from that first performance, which was just silly, to what Randy just said, which was absolutely the perfect song for you. Taylor, what you have just done, you have just sung your way into the semi-finals, young man.

6) Chris Daughtry - "A Little Less Conversation" (1968)

Randy – Once again, I don’t know what’s going on tonight, but something good is happening. That was the right key for you, too. I like the way you kept it low in front, man, and you kicked it up and brought the rocker edge at the end. That was hot!

Paula – There’s nothing else I can say. I mean I adore you and what I love is that you picked the song that shows a little more personality too. A lot of fun.

Simon – I thought your first song was a lot stronger, actually, Chris. I thought up until the end it was quite a flat performance, really. It wasn’t quite you, you know? It was okay. It wasn’t as good as the first one.

7) Elliott Yamin - "Trouble" (1958)

Randy – Tonight, man, I’ll tell you something’s going on tonight. I don’t know what’s going on over here. Something always crazy’s going on up here, but listen. On the stage, I think, personally, that was your best performance ever. That was hot.

Paula – I reserve the right to change my mind. I think this was your best performance ever in this competition.

Simon – Elliott, I’ve got hand it to you tonight. You’ve come out fighting, you’re showing personality. You know what? You deserve to go through to the next round.

8) Katharine McPhee - "Can’t Help Falling in Love" (1961)

Randy – I think that was better than the first song. You ran out of a little air at the end. A little pitchy problems here and there, but was definitely better than the other one, I thought.

Paula – Actually, I enjoyed watching you dance and have fun for a change. You really let loose on the first one. I’m used to hearing your ballads and you have a lovely voice.

Simon – Katharine, this hasn’t been one of your best nights. I’m going to be honest with you. The song started off beautifully, and then what I wanted was apple pie on it’s own instead I’ve got apple pie and a gallon of cream on top. It was so over the top, the middle part. It was just too much. You came in tonight at a disadvantage, I don’t think you chose the right songs tonight and that arrangement was just too much.

Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2006, 12:50:44 PM »

Elimination Results : Chris Daughtry

Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2006, 03:07:28 PM »

Week #13 - Top 3 Contestants – Clive’s Choice/Judge’s Choice/Contestant’s Choice (special guest : Clive Davis)

1) Elliott Yamin - "Open Arms" by Journey

Randy – You know that song is very near and dear to my heart, because I was in Journey for awhile. One of the greatest bands ever! You know what? When at first I thought of that choice for you, I was like, “I don’t know man!” But you worked it out. You had a little problem in the chorus, but you worked it out, man. Feel free to take chances when you do this stuff, dude. Do your thing!

Paula – Elliott, you are in excellent voice tonight. I cannot wait to hear everyone sing. I think it’s going to be the best night ever. You did a great job!

Simon – Elliott, it was a good choice of song. It wasn’t a great performance. You are a little stiff. Let me give you some advice, young man. You have got to loosen up and start believing that you can make the finals next week. You can do better than that.

2) Katharine McPhee - "I Believe I Can Fly" by R. Kelly

Randy – Let me start off by saying you look amazing, right? But you know my problem still is these kinds of songs, I know that you really want to be that singer, but I still don’t believe you’re that one just yet. To me it wasn’t quite that thing for you.

Paula – Katharine, that color for you is gorgeous and I’m just saying that because as a woman speaking to a gorgeous woman, you look beautiful. I …. This is difficult *someone yells that Katharine is incredible* She is incredible! You’re incredible.

Simon – I think you’re being a bit fair, actually, Randy. Yeah, I do. I’ll tell you why. Because she didn’t choose the song, it is an incredibly recognizable song with R. Kelly and I think apart from a couple of bum notes towards the end, you kind of created a bit of a moment there for yourself.

3) Taylor Hicks - "Dancing in the Dark" by Bruce Springsteen

Randy – You know what I love about you, man? You know what I really really love about you, besides you being in the dawg pound? Is that guess what? You know how to have a good time. Dancing with Paula … that was hot, baby! That’s how to have a good time.

Paula – Honestly, Taylor, I have fun with you. You’re incredible!

Simon – Taylor, you know you’ve got three songs tonight, that was okay. I mean it was a bit pale by comparison with the original. You know it was okay. It was okay.

4) Elliott Yamin - "What You Won’t Do For Love" by Bobby Caldwell (Paula’s Choice)

Randy – It was a good song choice by, Paula. I don’t think it was your best performance though, dawg. I think you were a little sharp for most of the song to be honest, just keeping it real.

Paula – Elliott, I felt, and forget the song choice, whatever, this is the kind of artist that you are. You’ve got amazing soul, amazing R & B tone and you just pierce through the heart and I love that about you. You’re solid.

Simon – Elliott, it wasn’t the best song in the world, but the style suited you well. I actually think you sang that pretty good!

5) Katharine McPhee - "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" by Judy Garland (Simon’s Choice)

Randy – Finally, finally, this is what I’ve been waiting for. This is the best vocal of the season for you tonight! America, we’ve got a hot one right here! That was gorgeous, that was hot!

Paula – I applaud you. Soak in this moment, because your element and your magic is when you don’t go overboard and you tap into your beautiful, natural self. Bravo!

Simon – Katharine, I’m very happy for you tonight because I think it proves the point, as I said last week, that you don’t need to lay it too much. You have a very very special talent and I’m not just saying that because I chose the song. But that was the single best performance of the competition to date.

6) Taylor Hicks - "You are So Beautiful" by Joe Cocker (Randy’s Choice)

Randy – A great tender moment from Taylor. You did the song proud. Congratulations, dawg!

Paula – Not only do you look like a star, you are a star. That was beautiful. It was fabulous!

Simon – Taylor, for me that was so far and away your best performance so far. Well done, Randy!

7) Elliott Yamin - "I Believe to My Soul" by Ray Charles

Randy – I don’t believe that this was the perfect song for you, but you can definitely sing, man. So you did a good job no matter what it is!

Paula – I agree with what Randy said because it’s not a song that people can connect with because they don’t know it, but the thing about you, Elliott, is nobody can sing songs like that, like Ray Charles. It’s very difficult to sing that kind of song, but you riff all over, you nail it, you’re very soulful. You’re a funky white boy. What can I say?

Simon – Elliott, your songs are not going to carry you through to the next week. That’s the problem. However, you are a great guy, you are a great singer and whatever happens, you will make your mom very proud for what you’ve achieved in this competition.

8) Katharine McPhee - "I Aint Got Nothin’ But the Blues" by Rosemary Clooney/Ella Fitzgerald

Randy – Still, the last song was really my one for you. This was okay, you know. I understand what you’re trying to do, but you’re kinda comparing yourself to Ella. Still it’s that kinda …. Uh …. I don’t know. Paula?

Paula – Well, your magic was “Somewhere Over the Rainbow”. That’s your element, my dear. It really is. But you know what? You still did a great job.

Simon – You know, overall you’ve had a pretty good night tonight, I think Katharine. I mean that was, you know, you go five steps forward, one step back with that. You know, I just wish we could’ve reversed the order and let you end it up on the songs from the middle round, because that’s what I want to remember, with all of you actually, tonight. It was okay, Katharine. It was okay.

9) Taylor Hicks - "Try a Little Tenderness" by Otis Redding

Randy – I’ve got a new name for you. Your new name from now on is “Have a Good Time Funky Taylor”.

Paula – Taylor, we were asked to give songs. I chose this for you and found out you picked it for yourself and I waited all season for you to sing this song. You did an incredible job!

Simon – Taylor, smart choice of song, good performance, a hideous ending. But I’ll see you next Tuesday.

Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2006, 03:09:22 PM »

Elimination Results : Elliott Yamin

Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx