gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:28:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 227
Total: 227

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AI5 Recap Thread  (Read 8000 times)
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« on: January 02, 2006, 11:31:17 AM »

Hi everyone!

It's me again!

I know we'll all post what we think during the shows in the viewing party threads, but this thread will be for more detailed reviews of the performances.

Just remember to please respect everyone's opinions.

Absolultely NO BASHING will be allowed.

Thank you!

AI Forum Moderator
Yup, I think about Clay probably about as often as men think about sex.
"Half my butt is mac & cheese and the other half is Krispy Kreme..." Clay Aiken
Carpe Clayum-Seize the Clay
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 01:16:43 PM »

Week #1 - Top 12 Girls

1) Mandisa - "Never" by Heart

Randy - Wow! What a way to start off the show! Great song choice. It shows your personality. There were a couple of sharp notes, but it was good.

Paula - To take on Heart is difficult. Carrie Underwood took on a Heart song last season. You were brilliant. Magnificent!

Simon - It wasn't a perfect vocal, but you have an unbelievable personality. I think we'll see you all the way to the finals.

************************************************************************************
2) Kellie Pickler - "How Far" by Martina McBride

Randy - It wasn't the best I've seen from you. I can still see the nerves. It was good.

Paula - You're unpretencious, don't have a diva attitude and you have the likability factor. You sang your heart out, but you have to carry the song through.

Simon - It felt heartfelt. You have the likability factor, like Paula said. You did very well.

************************************************************************************
3)Becky O'Donohue - "Because the Night" by 10000 Maniacs

Randy - I loved the performance. You get into what you do. You're a good looking girl.

Paula - There were notes that were off, but so what!. Just watch that.

Simon - Slightly better than I expected. Visually you are a 10, but the voice is a 6 1/2 and the last note was so off! It was okay.

4) Ayla Brown - "Reflection" by Christina Aguilera

Randy - I didn't expect it to be that good, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Paula - I totally agree with Randy. You made it your own song. Very pleasantly surprised!

Simon - I saw some emotion and that is important. It was one of your better performances.

5) Paris Bennett - "Midnight Train to Georgia" by Gladys Knight and the Pips
Randy - You surprised me! You moved like you've been doing this your whole life. That was amazing!

Paula - My heart goes out to you. You're my idol! You're a show woman.

Simon - You're incredibly confident. That was great!

6) Stevie Scott - "To Where You Are" by Josh Groban

Randy - That was definitely different. It didn't capture my attention at all.

Paula - I felt it was very brave of you. It may not be the most popular choice but you did the right thing with it.

Simon - I couldn't disagree with you more, Paula. It was a complete and utter mess and you will have a problem.

The best kind of friend is the one you could sit on a porch with, never saying a word, and walk away feeling like that was the best conversation you've had.
Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 01:23:58 PM »

WOW!

Thank you SO MUCH Meesa!

This is going to be a great resource to have!!!!!

Huggles Huggles Huggles

AI Forum Moderator
Yup, I think about Clay probably about as often as men think about sex.
"Half my butt is mac & cheese and the other half is Krispy Kreme..." Clay Aiken
Carpe Clayum-Seize the Clay
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 03:09:29 PM »

7) Brenna Gethers - "You Are the Sunshine of My Life" by Stevie Wonder

Randy - You chose a very safe song. You got me a little bit at the end, but I'm not sure if it was enough. Be who you are always!

Paula - There was a sensitive side of you that redeemed you in my mind and I hope that America sees that as well.

Simon - You are who you are and that's what we like about you. However, that was horrible. You're like a wild little cat and someone's just put gloves on you. (Randy adds "And a coat.") And a hat. Everything we liked about you just evaporated. It was the sort of thing you'd see in some ghastly hotel.

8) Heather Cox - "When You Tell Me That You Love Me" by Diana Ross

Randy - Wow! It was kind of really boring. I wanted to really hear you go for it. I didn't really hear that. It was kind of pitchy and it sounds like the key was too low. Dude, it didn't work for me tonight, man.

Paula - I have to agree with Randy. It started out really rough. You impressed me through your laryngitis in Holllywood. You were still fatastic. This was not a great performance.

Simon - The trouble was it was forgettable. And you sang it like someone taking an elocution lesson. It was horrible actually. You just got it wrong. Your personality just evaporated. Nobody will remember that performance.

9)Melissa McGhee - "When the Lights Go Down" by Faith Hill

Randy - Started a little rocky. You had some pitch problems going on. I like that you really worked it out. Something happened in the middle of the song. I think that helped save you with the song. I don't think it was an amazing performance but it showed that you definitely have a really good voice.

Paula - I completely disagree with Randy. I think this was a shining moment for you. I think you have this sexy sultry voice that is a standout. The tone of your voice is incredible and you took a song that is very very popular and completely made it your own. You were amazing!

Simon - I'm somewhere in the middle here. It was interesting because before you sang tonight I just wouldn't have remembered you. But you are a bit lifeless when you sing. The eyes are a bit lifeless. That worries me, but you sang it well.

10)Lisa Tucker - "I Am Changing" by Jennifer Holliday

Randy - You probably chose one of the biggest most ambitious songs of the night.  For me it started a little rough. But you worked it out. Props to you!

Paula - There is nothing dudish about you. I look at you and you are this precious little gift. You light this fire inside my heart and you are poised. You are 16 and you either have this gift or you don't. And from start to finish you are a star.

Simon - It's going your way tonight Lisa. You've made girls who are 5 or 6 years older than you just look ordinary. And that's what it's all about. You have the potential with your career that we may look back on tonight in 5 or 10 years and say that was the night we saw Lisa Tucker.

11) Kinnik Sky - "Get Here" by Oleta Adams

Randy - The middle was really rough. You were sharp for most of the middle, but you brought it home at the end. For me I'll have to give the performance probably like a 6. The dawg didn't get it.

Paula - I'm going to disagree with you a lot tonight Randy. You look stunning. Sharp notes ... a few. Sow what  ... your performance was powerful. Your showmanship was on point. I thought you did a lovely job.

Simon - I think your problem tonight has been that we have seen one or two quite stunning performances from very young girls. It was a very cabaret performance.

12) Katharine McPhee - "Since I Fell For You" by Barbra Streisand

Randy - Wow! We got another hot one right here. Loved it. Maybe a couple little spots. You got it going on.

Paula - This was a great performance. You gave your all and it showed.

Simon - We had some very good vocalists tonight and you were the best.

The best kind of friend is the one you could sit on a porch with, never saying a word, and walk away feeling like that was the best conversation you've had.
Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 08:10:31 PM »

Week #1 - Top 12 Guys

1) Patrick Hall - "Come to My Window” by Melissa Etheridge

Randy – You were a little nervous right? I could tell. It started a little rough for me. You had a couple of pitch problems, but you did your thing. I don’t think this was your best performance, but I kinda dug it. It was alright. It was good.

Paula – You’re needed in this competition. Stick to what you do best, because you’re awesome. You’re an amazing performer.

Simon – What Paula’s trying to say is it was a terrible song. It was very fidgety, you were very anxious. Paula’s right to a point. You look very uncomfortable up there. I don’t think the song was the right choice because you didn’t show any emotion. It was just an average performance.

2) David Radford - "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" by Queen

Randy – Dude that was terrible. I felt like I was back at the auditions. There was no originality, the voice wasn’t great, the pitch kept changing key. It wasn’t good man.

Paula – The kitty pound loves you. Or the Paula poodle pound. I disagree with Randy. I don’t think it was horrible. You carried on who you are. You have a tremendous amount of charisma. It wasn’t my favorite song choice but I think that you were true to who you are and that’s what’s important in this competition.

Simon It’s a tricky one. You know I kind of know where Randy was going with this which is we liked you because you do kind of this crooner thing very well. This, however, came over as a bit of a joke. Having said that, I have a feeling the audience at home will like you. But my advice, however, is I think you’ve gotta take yourself a bit more seriously going forward if you survive another week, You’ve gotta come back and do what people like Harry Connick do in this style.

3) Bucky Covington - "Simple Man " by Lynyrd Skynyrd

Randy – Dude, I like that you’re doing the south proud. I like that you picked Skynyrd. I’m a big Skynyrd fan too. You have a nice tone and you’ve got a good voice. Sometimes when you push it too hard it goes a little sharp. But I thought it was cool. I like that you’re showing your range as a singer.

Paula – I think that you picked a good song and even though there were a couple parts that were off, you’re growing. It’s like a whole journey for you and I think that we’ll see it next week too.

Simon – I think you did better with the band than we’d seen you before and I like the fact that you’re very raw. Having said that, there are thousands of bars across America where you’ll find someone just like Bucky, just doing their stuff.  

4) Will Mazar - "I Want You Back" by Jackson 5

Randy – I like you, man,. Even though you know you’re not that kind of a dancer, you were trying to do your thing. Vocally, it’s another one of those songs that’s hard to go after the stylized singers because everyone in the world knows that song, but you did your thing. I was entertained.

Paula – You are adorable and every high school girl is .. their heart’s just thumping. You remind me of Bobby Brady and I did love Bobby Brady. I thought you were adorable. Good job!

Simon – The reality check. You are a nice looking kid, you’re cute, you’re enthusiastic. Unofortunately, vocally it was completely and utterly average. No one is gonna listen back to that and go ‘Wow! What a great singer!’ It was just okay.

5) Jose “Sway” Penala - "Reasons" by Earth Wind & Fire

Randy – We got a hot one tonight! You did Phillip Bailey proud, man. To sing it all in falsetto and then come down into your natural … it was hot. You showed originality, you showed range. There were a couple pitchy problems because it’s hard to sing it all in falsetto, but congrats! Very nice.

Paula – That was truly amazing and to even go above the highest falsetto and then nail it and go into your natural voice. It proves that you know who you are, how good you are and you  deserve to be on that stage.

Simon – We’re really on a different page tonight. I thought it was a really pimpy, third rate copy of Earth Wind & Fire. We’ll agree to disagree.

6) Chris Daughtry - "Wanted Dead or Alive" by Bon Jovi

Randy – I loved the performance. I thought it was the bomb. You’ve got it. It was hot.

Paula – I don’t even know where to begin because I am so wowed by you. And I’ve been wowed by you from Day 1.Your artistry, what you pick to sing, it’s as if you’ve been doing it for the longest time. You are gonna go all the way.

Simon – That was a good choice of song. Very very good choice of song. I think for me the first time tonight I’m hearing someone with some potential.

Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 09:30:52 PM »

7) Kevin Covais - "One Last Cry" by Brian McKnight

Randy – I really really like you and I think we all really do. And you know why I like you the most? Because you’re actually, honestly talented and you’re such a nice real kid. So let me give you this. That was the bomb, man!

Paula – We have an understanding. You know how I feel about you. You make me beam and you make me feel proud because I look at someone who is 16, who is so poised and sure of himself and without arrogance, with reckless abandon. You’re a sheer joy. You’re an awesome kid and I’m very proud of you.

Simon – I apologize America. Kevin, I like you but that would appeal to anyone who was over the age of 90 and was hard of hearing. Vocally it was verging on excruciating.

8) Gedeon McKinney - "Shout" by The Isley Brothers

Randy – That was good. That was very unexpected actually. Good song choice. I like the song choice, it had a lot of energy to it and I liked your kind of Jackie Wilson, Sam & Dave kinda choreography.

Paula - I actually did jump up. I totally was thrown for a loop. I had mo idea .. it was a great surprise. And the way you performed it was a throwback to some great performers. You’ve got that in you. It’s like in your soul and it’s beaming out of you. You’re different and unique for this competition. I just think that it was marvelous.

Simon – It was as if I were watching the warm up for the Chippendales or something. I’m trying to use an analogy here. Your smile bothers me.

9)Ellott Yamin - "If You Really Love Me" by Stevie Wonder

Randy – We got another hot one tonight! Trying to sing Stevie is really hard, but you put it down. You sounded brilliant. You got it and I love it and it was hot tonight!

Paula – What I love the most about you is it’s effortless. You just have fun and you’re infectious. It’s great! Great performance from beginning to end.

Simon – Out of five seasons, I think you are potentially the best male vocalist we’ve ever had.

10)Bobby Bennett - "Copacabana" by Barry Manilow

Randy – It’s like I’m watching someone from a whole different era. It’s amazing. It’s like I’m watching Barry in Vegas now or I’m watching Wayne Newton. I like you. I think you’re a good entertainer. Vocally that song was a little here and there. I thought it was just alright for me tonight.

Paula – We have all enjoyed your entertainment value and your showmanship value. It was very risky. It could go either way. What I do like about you is you commit 100% with passion.

Simon – If you hear a scream from a hotel room in Las Vegas, that’s where Barry Manilow is watching this show from. I mean seriously that was a complete nightmare.

11) Ace Young - "Father Figure" by George Michael

Randy – You definitely are a star. You were working the camera, you were working the room. You really got it going on, plus the most important thing is you can really sing. Star and can sing, we got another hot one, America!

Paula – There are about 35 million people with the phone in their hand ready to vote. You’re a star, God bless you and those eyes …. Hello!

Simon – Not the best vocals we’ve heard tonight, however, you’ve got the “X Factor”. Brilliant choice of song. Once you ease up on your nerves, you are absolutely going to sail on through to the next round, It was absolutely really really good. 

12) Taylor Hicks - "Levon" by Elton John

Randy – I’m not sure the song was my perfect song choice for you, because it doesn’t show how talented you are vocally. You got it going on. I love you, I love this performance, it wasn’t your best though. I’m one of your biggest fans.

Paula – Everything just exudes from you. Just powerful passion, you love what you do. You love music and we love you for that. It’s amazing. I feel like we saved the best for the last.

Simon – I said at the beginning that I didn’t think you should make the finals of this competition. I was wrong. What I like about you is you’re interesting. I think you are just into the singing. I absolutely love it and I’ve had more positive feedback on you than anyone else in the competition so far.

Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 09:34:42 PM »

Elimination Results : Becky O'Donohue, Stevie Scott, Bobby Bennett and Patrick Hall.

Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 09:43:37 PM »

Week #2 - Top 10 Girls

1) Katharine McPhee - "All is Fair in Love" by Stevie Wonder

Randy – You picked kind of a safe choice. It wasn’t your best performance but you had a couple of moments where you definitely had it going on. It just wasn’t the best choice of song for you but it was okay. It was just okay for me.

Paula – I’m going to agree with Randy in the sense that you move me. You move America. It wasn’t a song choice that just connected with me very much, but let’s just call it as it is. You’re brilliant.

Simon – On a show like this, Katharine, the reality is it is actually more than just singing. It is about personality, it’s about the right choice of song. You can’t come up on a stage like tonight and be in your own world and hope that you’re going to interest the American audience. Because they’re going to forget that performance three performances later. So, not your best night by a mile.

2) Kinnik Sky - "I’m Here For the Party" by Gretchen Wilson

Randy – Well, you know what I enjoyed? I enjoyed you had the energy and it’s like groovy and you were getting the stomp on. Kind of a nice way to start the show. It’s Gretchen Wilson’s song, right? I’m a big Gretchen Wilson fan. I like the song a lot on her, but on you it’s just not a song that has enough melody in it to show your range and what you can do as a vocalist. It’s more like a character fun kind of party song. But at least, I enjoyed the entertainment part. So that’s a good thing for me.

Paula – To see you out there having fun is great. But at this stage of the game in this competition it’s about picking songs that show your amazing range. You do have an amazing range.

Simon – Look, on a plus side, you did something or attempted something to stand out in the crowd. Because I think that last week you were just forgotten. On the down side, that’s the sort of thing I would expect to see when I’ve come off Magic Mountain in Disneyland. Because you get these theme park entertainers who do sort of a fun, cutesy song, but you’re never going to listen to one of those people and go “Wow! How can they escape from that?” It was just a theme park performance.

3)Lisa Tucker - "Who’s Loving You” by Jackson 5

Randy – It was a different song choice for you. It still didn’t do anything to show you off. I wish you’d have stopped the band and just sang the whole thing acapella. I know you’ve got it, but it didn’t show like that for me tonight. It was just alright.

Paula – Randy, I’m disagreeing with you. When you’ve got it, you’ve got it. I forget that you’re all of 16 years old. You’re an amazing performer and I don’t know why you haven’t been signed already. I think that regardless of this show, you’re a star. You’re a star all the way.

Simon – The great thing for you is you’ve got a showcase in front of 30 or 40 million people every week. A lot of people will vote for you, but you’ve got to be smart about this, Lisa. You don’t want to just come over as a very, very young girl singing grown up songs because I think you’re better than that. Having said that, you will said through tonight. Guaranteed.

4) Melissa McGhee - "Why Haven’t I Heard From You" by Reba McEntire

Randy – That song fit you. It was the perfect choice for you. I could see you making a record like that. It would be dope. Love Reba McEntire. Love that version. And from last week, that smoky voice from when we first saw you returned. That was hot.

Paula – What I love seeing is that you are coming out of your shell each week a little more and more. You’re very unique in this competition. No one has a voice like yours. I love it. I love the tone. I could hear you on the radio. I think you’re doing a great job.

Simon – Melissa, I don’t know what the problem is with you. I love your voice. I thought it was the wrong song. I really do, because for some reason I do not believe you are making a connection yet with the audience. I think you have to do something that has the wow factor. And no one is going to remember that song. That’s the problem.

5) Heather Cox - "Hero" by Mariah Carey

Randy – I think that you look great. Paula’s absolutely correct. When you choose stylized songs by these kinds of singers you’re going to pale in comparison, because their own soul, own heart, own theme song.

Paula – I think that you improved from last week. You look beautiful tonight. Here’s the one big problem. When you sing songs, that the great Mariah Carey sings, you run the hugest risk of being compared to icons. Right now there is no one hotter than Mariah Carey and we’re constantly reminded of how brilliant her voice is. It’s a big big huge risk to take on a song like that. You did a good job, but it wasn’t great.

Simon – Paula and Randy actually spoke some sense. The problem is it was kind of like you know those ghastly pageants when just before the finalists arrive somebody gets up and sings, you know a Mariah song or something and it’s a horrible moment. It did come over a bit like that. Sort of pointless really. Not great.

Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 09:20:20 PM »

6) Brenna Gethers - "Last Dance" by Donna Summer

Randy – You know what’s funny? You and Simon are quite a bit alike. You never think anything’s bad. He always thinks he’s right. This is kind of wild. But keeping it real, the attitude wasn’t there and the vocals weren’t really there tonight either. I don’t know. This was kind of a weird one for me. Vocally it was pitchy all over the place, not really inspired. This is Donna Summer. She’s the bomb, so you’ve got to bring it when you do her. Even like the dancing, the whole emotion. I don’t know.

Paula – I don’t see that magic happening from you. How do you think you did?

Simon – I would change the word dance to chance, because that’s what it was. It came over like someone at a bar murdering a Donna Summer song. From the performance to the vocal delivery, the dancing, the whole performance was exactly what I’ve seen a thousand times on a holiday and I normally leave the bar.

7) Paris Bennett - "Wind Beneath My Wings" by Bette Midler

Randy – You’re like a young Lauryn Hill. You’ve got that whole thing. You can sing jazz, rock, hip hop, whatever it is you’ve got that. You can definitely definitely sing. You don’t have to play it safe ever. When you’re 16 like that, you don’t have to sing a song that old. You can sing a hot one. But all in all, you’ve still got it going on. You’re still a hot one. You weren’t as scorching as you were last week, but you’re still hot.

Paula – You’re an amazing performer. You are another young one that just makes this competition incredible. I just want to remind you to celebrate the youth and the fun that you bring. You are a good vocalist. 

Simon – What I think you have to avoid is you don’t want to turn this show into “I’m 17 and I can sound 50.” It’s boring. We know that you can sing, but everything about you tonight was like you’re a little old lady and that’s a shame.

8) Ayla Brown - "I Want You To Need Me" by Celine Dion

Randy – I was surprised too tonight. You picked a very good song for you and for your voice. You know where your limitations are, what you can do, what you can’t do and it came off as a nice kind of package. I actually liked it, man.

Paula – I think you want this really bad. It’s another week that you really pleasantly surprised me and it’s great to see how you’re growing and the conviction. You picked the right song for your vocal range/ It’s amazing. I’m really enjoying how this is turning out for you. You were great last week. This was even better for me this week.

Simon – You strike me as the type of girl who probably got A’s in everything you’ve ever attempted in your life/ You are working harder than anyone I’ve probably seen on this show so far. I think you are the type of person who whatever you put you’re your mind to, you’re going to end up with an A. If I said next week we’re going to juggle, you’d come back and juggle. The problem I have, however, is that sometimes you want a bit of rawness to something. And you will perfect yourself to something in such a way that I will remember you were good, I won’t remember what the song was and it’s still a little bit mechanical to me. But I think within your own comfort zone, you are going to do better than you could’ve hoped for. I still wonder if it’s going to be good enough though.

9)Kellie Pickler - "Let’s Give ‘Em Something to Talk About" by Bonnie Raitt

Randy – We got a hot one tonight! Kellie Pickler’s in the house! You did your thing tonight. I love it! Right song, right outfit, cool girl. I just think your out there having a good time and doing your thing. I liked it a lot.

Paula – Can you get any cuter? You’re unpretentious and you picked a good song for your vocals. You made us smile.You can dance and I really enjoyed this performance from you. Keep on going girl/

Simon – I don’t know what it is, but I just cannot help but like you. If I hadn’t heard the calamari bit, and if I didn’t know you, and I just heard the song, and I wasn’t watching you I’d go “It wasn’t the best vocal I’ve heard. It was very rough around the edges at parts, but you are cute.” You’re likable. I think America, if they haven’t already, are going to fall in love with you.

10)Mandisa - "Cry" by Faith Hill

Randy – The verse was a little rough for me. It started a little shaky like you couldn’t quite find the pitch because it’s really low. When you get to the center of your tone and you’re belting, that was cool too. There were a couple of sharp places where you over shouted, but you’ve got great vocals. You can definitely sing. The song choice, I wasn’t thrilled with. I wasn’t thrilled with that song for you. I want to see you do everything you can do. I want to hear it all and I didn’t hear it all tonight from you.

Paula – You are one of a kind and you are needed in this competition. You have unbelievable vocal range. And what I really like about what you’re doing is you take songs that you probably normally wouldn’t sing and you’re putting your own flavor in it. That’s taking risks, but taking risks in the right direction. You’re just wowing us.

Simon – I think America will keep you around for awhile. I much preferred the way you looked last week though. I think this is very cabaret, very old fashioned. I agree with Randy. I don’t think you’ve found the right song yet. I don’t think you’ve come out here yet and totally nailed something like you’re capable of doing. However, when you’re on it, I don’t think there’s a better female singer in this competition.

Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 07:50:09 PM »

Week #2 - Top 10 Guys

1) Taylor Hicks - "Easy (Like Sunday Morning)" by Commodores

Randy – I don’t think it was my favorite performance from you. You had some pitch problems going on and stuff, but I still like you. There some quality about you, that whole throwback, that whole Ray Charles like kinda thing that I love about you.

Paula – I love your enthusiasm. It wasn’t my favorite song choice, but you’re one of my favorites. 

Simon – It didn’t work for me. I’ll tell you why it didn’t work. I thought it was the wrong choice of song. This is a bubble that we’re all in, as far as American Idol, and you have to take yourself out of the bubble and just imagine you were watching that back. For instance, you’re on the Grammys, or something like that, as the undiscovered talent in this country and you would look at that and say “That was a really average performance.” And this is a showcase for you. Every night of the week that you’re up here on this show. 

2) Elliott Yamin - "Moody’s Mood for Love" by James Moody

Randy – Every time we’ve seen you I’ve enjoyed you. You have a natural amazing gift and from me to you for the first time, I’ve got to stand up for you. *gives Elliott a standing ovation* You put it down. You know what else? Dawg pound, we got a hot one tonight! That was brilliant.

Paula – That is one of the most difficult songs to sing and Mr. Stevie Wonder, you did him proud. That was brilliant/ I don’t even know what you’re going to do to top that, but I can’t wait!

Simon – I think you’ve grown in confidence. I wondered last week if you actually felt like you deserved to be here. I think I see a different you walking our on stage tonight. You’ve started to believe in yourself. My only thing that I would say about the song is this, you can’t win a show like this with a song like that. Cause your voice is going to nail everybody, now you’ve got to nail everybody with that song that’s actually better than that. But it was a great performance.

3)Ace Young - "If You’re Not the One” by Daniel Bedingfield

Randy – I’m glad you chose that song, because it shows more. Last week I didn’t think that you showed your range/ You’re a sensitive kind of singer and I think that you need to pick songs that every week can show what kind of a singer you are. I’m glad that you hit the whole false thing. Keep doing that. Keep picking the more challenging things, because I think that you sing better than you let on. So, I think that’s what’s going to help you really stay in this. So pick harder tunes. But you did your thing. I’m happy to see that.

Paula – I really think that this is another good week for you. I think song selection was on point. When you do hit that false, high note it’s very surprising. Surprising in a great way, And take more risks, because you are, and I agree with Randy, better than you know.

Simon – I think that you struggled with the song tonight, Ace. I think you’re going to be very disappointed when you hear your vocal back on that. I think what you’re hearing tonight and what you’re going to hear at home are two very different things. I don’t think you were able to sing that song very well. I think you’ve got to find a particular type of song that suits your vocals. And I know that Mozart and Beethoven are the experts here, however, Mr. Naïve Ignorant Simon, doesn’t think it was your best.

4) Gedeon McKinney - "A Change is Gonna Come" by Sam Cooke

Randy – I love that you’re a great, natural performer. You get up there and you were a little nervous at the beginning. I could tell, because the song started a little shaky, but the middle, you were like “Yo! I don’t care what’s going on, I’m singing this song because I know I can.” And you ended it amazing. It was really good. It was a little pitchy in the beginning, but you know what’s cool? How old are you? 17 or 18? You being that age with a throwback to Sam Cooke, all the Sams from back in the day. I think it’s hot that you even know who they are and you did a good job in the end. The first part was not so good, but you ended it strong, so good luck.

Paula – You are unique, you’re different, you are smart with your selections. You are a performer that I feel we’ll see for decades. I really do. I think you’re awesome.

Simon – You are a funny little thing. I just didn’t know what to make of you. You know, with the smile and the faces you pull when you sing, but Randy hit the nail on the head here. You are like somebody Barry Gordy would have gotten a hold of 30 or 40 years ago. When the whole Smokey Robinson, Marvin Gaye, Sam Cook …. You do that kind of music actually brilliantly. I think that what’s interesting about you is that if you stay within this area, you’re special, you’re unique. I thought it was a very very good performance.

5) Kevin Covais - "I Heard it Through the Grapevine" by Marvin Gaye

Randy – I really thoroughly enjoyed that. You know what’s great? You’re here because not only are you funny and you’re cool and I like Ryan calling a gangsta and all of that. You can actually sing. I heard you sing the little run at the end. I was like “America, don’t forget my boy can blow a tune.” Good job!

Paula – Kevin, you are infectious. I look around and it’s like everyone is just smiling from ear to ear. I think you’re the next sex symbol. What can I say? I just love your performance. I’m having a blast and I love watching your parents. They’re having a blast. They’re just adorable. It was a good performance.

Simon – This really is la la land, isn’t it? I do like you and I think you’re likable, but the reality is if I heard that on the radio, I’d turn it off. I would. But this is sort of a back-handed compliment because I do like you and lots of other people will like you. But I’m trying to put just a tiny bit of reality back into the show here, which is, as a singing competition, it wasn’t the best version of “Through the Grapevine” that I’ve heard.

Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 09:12:39 PM »

6) Jose “Sway” Penala - "Overjoyed" by Stevie Wonder

Randy – It wasn’t as good as last week for me. Keeping it real, Stevie’s like one of the greatest singers in the known world, and it’s hard when you’ve got someone that great, for you to make it your own. You have to be unbelievable/ It wasn’t unbelievable tonight. I still think you’ve got skills, but it wasn’t good tonight for me.

Paula – I feel like tonight you’re a little disconnected. I don’t know. Maybe not feeling well, but you weren’t in that zone. I didn’t feel that connection. Even on your off day, you still have a lot of talent.

Simon – This is exactly how not to do well on a show like this, because that was nothing more than pure karaoke. There was absolutely zero originality. It was a completely and utterly forgettable performance. If you carry on like that, you aren’t going to be on the finals of this show.

7) Will Makar - "Lady" by Kenny Rogers

Randy – I think at this point in the show to stay on every week, you’ve gotta do something that shows you’re amazing some way vocally. It was just basically alright for me. I wasn’t blown out.

Paula – The good news is I really think you have a nice tone in your voice and I think you control it nicely. The choice that you made in the song for tender moments were right on point. Having said that … too safe. A little bland.

Simon – It was like an audition for “Cats”. You have a target audience, which are eleven year old girls and they will love that. Eleven year old girls will adore that. They will love it.

8) Bucky Covington - "The Thunder Rolls" by Garth Brooks

Randy – This was a great song choice for you. Kind of the whole Garth Brooks, Bob Seeger kind of thing, kind of a little rock and country, who you are. There were a couple of pitch problems, but you definitely did your thing.

Paula – Very interesting to hear you right at the beginning because you’re vocals are right out there and you just hit every note really nice in the beginning. I feel like you’re really finding your place in this competition and you’re feeling it and you’re having fun. I think you did a really good job.

Simon – I like you because I think you’re a very sincere guy. I don’t think you’re playing as we see sometimes. You are what you are and I like that. My only problem, being honest with you, is that you come over to me as the support act of the bigger star on this show. I don’t see you as the star attraction.

9)David Radford - "The Way You Look Tonight" by Frank Sinatra

Randy – The good thing for you is you stayed in your zone. The whole Sinatra thing. But I found myself being bored, I was listening to the band. The band sounded great. I don’t know, it just didn’t quite get me tonight.

Paula – This is your zone, but I feel like we’ve seen you perform better with other songs. Even though this is a genre that you love to do, I didn’t feel like you connected with the band.

Simon – You have at times had the absolutely right voice for this material, but when you want to do this kind of material you have to have charisma and confidence. If you walk up nervous, it doesn’t work. The song would’ve worked better for you with just a piano. It was too much with all the band going on. If you can’t have confidence when you do this, it’s not going to work/ We’re going to feel uncomfortable, therefore I thought it was uncomfortable.

10)Chris Daughtry - "Hemmorhage (In My Hands)" by Fuel

Randy – I loved it loved it loved it loved it! You were right where you were supposed to be singing the right song. It could be on the radio by you right now. It’s the right song choice. You know who you are. If you were in the studio working like Audioslave, Incubus you’d be right on the chart with them right now.

Paula – Do you know how good you are? Let me tell you. Boy, you are amazing! You are amazing. There are magic moments on that stage on American Idol and you’ve hit one of your magical ones. 

Simon – There have been a lot of compliments tonight for a lot of artists, however, this was the only performance which stands up in the real world. It was the only good, real performance tonight and tonight you are the standard every one of these guys should be looking towards, because it was in a different class.

Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 09:16:20 PM »

Elimination Results : Brenna Gethers, Heather Cox, David Radford and Jose "Sway" Penala.

Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 08:13:39 PM »

Week #3 - Top 8 Girls

1) Paris Bennett - "Conga" by Gloria Estefan

Randy – I was surprised at the song choice. It wasn’t exactly my favorite choice, but you can sing anything. I just want you to challenge yourself, because you’ve got this unbelievable talent and every week I just want to see you come out. So maybe next week you’ll do a ballad and show some other kind of stuff, but it was alright. It was alright. I liked it. I was entertained.

Paula – I prefer you doing up-tempo. I really do. It’s a very difficult song to sing. I guess I was just surprised by the choices you made melodically, but they captured my attention. You’re a very talented girl.

Simon – Last week we said to you to do a younger song and I’m glad you did that. To be honest with you, it’s your enthusiasm, your age, just the fact that you’re a great entertainer is going to get you through. I think you’re feeling the nerves because this is an important week. Vocally it was okay, but you know people love you. So we’ll see you next week!

2) Lisa Tucker - "Where I Stand" by Tiffany Taylor

Randy – I liked the song. It was still a little older for me for you. And when you get those breaks in those songs that you’re supposed to do that kind of stuff, I want you to slay it, all the runs, the whole thing. It just didn’t come out great for me. It was just alright. 

Paula – I look at you and I see a seasoned performer. You’ve been doing this since you were 10 years old. Hitting the stages and I always go back to your poise. Your performance value is amazing. I wish that you would’ve sung a song that we could get into and I think the audience would be more familiar with. But having said that, at 16 years old, you’ve got the whole package.

Simon – I know what they’re saying, Lisa. We think you’re super talented, but you’re singing songs which sound like your mom’s choosing them at the moment. They’re not believable for you, because of who you are so there is a disconnect. But, you know, once again you are going to sail on through to the next round and we want you in the next round because you’re super talented.

3)Melissa McGhee - "What About Love” by Heart

Randy – Now that song choice I thought was really good. It was a good song for you. It got away from you a little bit at the end. You got a little sharp at the end, but I think you did a good job. It was perfect. You had the look, you have the voice, you even sounded like Ann and Nancy. Very nice, man! I like that. 

Paula – I think you’re coming out here to do your thing. Each week you’re improving and you’re coming out here and you’re coming out of your shell. You are a powerhouse, a force to be reckoned with.

Simon – I totally disagree. I think that last note booked your plane ticket home tonight, sweetheart. I really do. It sounded to me like you shouted the song. It really did. I think you’ve blown it.

4) Kinnik Sky - "If I Ain’t Got You" by Alicia Keys

Randy – I love the song, by the way. I think it’s a great song. It started out amazing, got a little sharp, stayed sharp for the rest of it. You caught up with it at the end. It was a good choice for you. I don’t think you nailed it though.

Paula – Usually vocally every week you do nail it and it’s been odd with some of the song choices you’ve picked. I think you found you’re style tonight. You look amazing, the best you’ve looked. I don’t know if you could hear yourself with the band, you just were off with your pitch. You were sharp in the song, but I haven’t heard you off pitch in this whole competition.

Simon – You just messed it up. I agree with Randy. It started off okay, but midway through it was just really appalling. It just went all over the place. So, once again, I think you have just booked your plane ticket home.

Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2006, 08:53:16 PM »

5) Katherine McPhee - "Think" by Aretha Franklin

Randy – We’ve got a hot one tonight, right here! Very nice.

Paula – Katherine, it is very nice to see you have fun out there, to see you cut loose. It’s a different side that we haven’t seen. You’re like a well oiled machine, in control of that beautiful voice that you have. It’s amazing to see the control and you have fun with it. You know exactly what you possess and I love seeing that. Excellent job.

Simon – I have to agree with Randy. You know that was a risk, but you pulled it off and you made it seem absolutely effortless. Once again, you’re going to sail through.

6) Ayla Brown - "Unwritten" by Natasha Bedingfield

Randy – The song was okay. I think you’ve got to be cautious when you pick the songs by these artists like this. It’s not a great singer song. This is like a singer’s competition so all you of need to pick a song that can show your stuff off. When these songs have these five note ranges, they’re cool but it’s not like it’s going to give you any wow factor. But it was alright.

Paula – I still love to give you credit because you go out there and you fight the fight every single week. You are out there giving your all. I can tell. You are working your butt off. It’s interesting to hear a contemporary song that’s on the charts sung by someone else. That’s a risk but I think you handled it. You rose to the challenge and did a good job.

Simon – That was pretty good actually. I would just love that young person we see on the film clips to be on the stage as well, because that’s actually more appealing in a way than what we heard tonight. But I agree with Paula. It was good, it just wasn’t fantastic.

7) Mandisa - "I’m Every Woman" by Chaka Khan

Randy – One of the greatest things about this show is that you never know what’s going to happen from one night to the next or whoever’s going to rise to the occasion. I’m going to give you your props *Randy gives her a standing ovation.* This to me is the best vocal by a female this season. She just set the bench mark girls. This is the one to beat.

Paula – Mandisa, that’s what we’re talking about. You took the song, you owned it, the arrangement was awesome, off the hook. You sang your butt off. You sounded amazing and I got chills. Awesome!

Simon – Mandisa, every one of these girls are going to hate your guts tonight because you made everyone who appeared before you appear ordinary. This is the only one I would rewind on my Tivo and watch again. It was in a completely and utterly different league.

8) Kellie Pickler - "I’m the Only One Me" by Melissa Etheridge

Randy – Every week now you’ve been very consistent. It was a great song choice for you tonight. You put a little country into it with the whole Melissa thing, it was really great. Good song choice, you did a great job. And the Dawg Pound loves you.

Paula – You got your groove on and started dancing there a little bit. You went down on your knees. You had that look and you were reaching out like that. Guys are in love with you. My nephews are in love with you. You’re adorable and you just keep getting better and better.

Simon – Kellie, you are what’s known as a naughty little minx. I really really like you. I don’t think you’re the best singer, but you’re interesting. I kind of prefer you to last year’s winner actually. I do.

Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 08:05:19 PM »

Week #3 - Top 8 Guys

1) Gedeon McKinney - "When a Man Loves a Woman" by Percy Sledge

Randy – It was alright, man. I mean you started it a little shaky for me, but your definitely an old soul in this competition and I like the fact that you continue that, that that’s who you are, where you are. I liked you hitting that big note at the end. That kinda saved it for me for you. It was alright, man. Nice way to start the show tonight.

Paula – I totally agree. You are unique in this whole group of contestants. The throw back to your whole style is amazing/ Even when you start with your showmanship and you flip your jacket back and you just know exactly what to do. You  choreograph how you’re going to move, how you’re gonna be and you’re a true showman. I think you’re fantastic and you’re needed in this competition.

Simon – I thought it was good. I thought it was a bit cabaret, a bit over the top. But you do what you do well and I like you because you’re interesting.You’re growing on me a bit, Gedeon. 

2) Chris Daughtry - "Broken" by Seether

Randy – I’ve said this before and I’ll say this again. I love people who know where their voices are and what they can do. That’s important when you do a show like this. That’s one of the things that I’m definitely looking for/ Dude, you’re ready man. Dude, you’re doing your thing. I loved it. Another good song, another good performance. Rock on, baby, rock on!

Paula – You know, Chris, whatever happens in this competition, I am sure that you’re going to be out there selling out stadiums. You’re an amazing artist. You stay true to who you are, you don’t abandon that. You get better and better. I can already hear you on the radio. You’re fantastic!

Simon – Chris, I wasn’t so impressed. I thought it was a bit indulgent. I thought the song was boring. I think you’ve got a long way to go in this competition. You know you don’t want to get a bit too insolent here and take it too seriously, because it is American Idol and you’ve got to be as broad as possible. I thought is was a boring song and I think it’s one of those songs that you won’t remember at the end of this show. So I would be careful, because you’ve still got to entertain at the end of the day.

3)Kevin Covais - "Vincent” by Don McLean

Randy – It was kind of an interesting weird song choice for me. I didn’t really care for the song, but the thing that always remains that I love about you is you actually can really sing. No matter what the song, whatever, it was a very nice performance, man. I like you. You’re in the dawg pound man!

Paula – Kevin, I have nothing but love for you. You command, you make people pay attention when you sing and I think ballads are your ticket in your back pocket because you just melt hearts. I look around the audience and everyone has a smile on their face and it was such a sincere performance. Kudos to you. I just adore you.

Simon – Look, in the same way you like watching puppies play, people will enjoy it and I can understand why people like you. I think you’ve got the granny vote again tonight with that song. I do. I think they’ll love you for that, but it was very juvenile. Two of these girls are 16 and that was more like 11.

4) Bucky Covington - "Wave on Wave" by Pat Green

Randy – I’ll say it again. What I like about the boys is you guys really get a sense of who you are and once again it’s a great song for you. I don’t know if it’s the greatest song to show off your vocal chops or whatever, but you know it’s in keeping with who you are and what you do. It’s a little more rocky, you know a little rocky, kinda country kind of thing. Kinda Bucky country kind of, but I liked it, dawg. I liked it.

Paula – What I like about you is you’re unpretentious. You just come out here and you rock, you sing, and you do a great job. I love the raw untapped talent in you and that’s what keeps it real.

Simon – It was okay. You know, I mean, once again you’ll hear this a million times a week in a bar. It wasn’t exceptional. It was adequate, it was okay. You know, I don’t think okay is good enough though.

Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2006, 09:00:44 PM »

5) Will Makar - "How Sweet It Is" by James Taylor

Randy – Dude, that was not good for me. It’s a great song, but it was kind of like a bad karaoke performance. It just wasn’t good for me. You know, we’re looking for the best undiscovered talent we’re trying to find and it was just like way below average. It just was not good.

Paula – I totally disagree. Will, forget 11 year-olds, okay?  Because I’m a fan. I thought you did the best job … what I like is that all the guys are stepping up tonight. I mean it’s like down to competition time and you all are raising your game. I think you raised your game. Will, I thought you did a great job.

Simon - Paula, all I can say is you must have been starved for entertainment as a child, because I have to agree with Randy about this. I thought this falls under the completely, utterly average category. There was nothing. Sorry! Nothing distinct, nothing great, nothing good. At least you’ve got the middle age vote, though. 

6) Taylor Hicks - "Taking it to the Streets" by The Doobie Brothers

Randy – The score goes a little something like this. Great song choice, perfect kind of song for you doing the whole Michael McDonald kind of thing and I think you did a good job singing it. I don’t know if it was your best vocal. I think you did a good job singing it, but dude, the dancing was a little …. (laughs) Dude, you’re representing the dawg pound up there! We’ll call that the Dawg wind-up.

Paula – I’m taking those steps and incorporating them into my next job. I’ll be using them the rest of my life. Taylor, that was my favorite performance from you. You stepped it up even more so and I am blow away! Unbelievable! You had so much fun out there.

Simon – Taylor, you single-handedly could kill the music video industry. You  know, that was definitely a radio performance. Love the song. Absolutely loved the song and this is what it’s all about. It’s about having fun and standing out and you stood out. Best performance so far.

7) Elliott Yamin - "Heaven" by Bryan Adams

Randy – I look forward to hearing you sing now every time, cause you make the right choices as a singer. You could make a record right now and sell it. That was hot, once again. You’ve got it going on and when you’ve got a hearing loss in one ear and you still sing in tune! We’ve got a hot one here tonight!

Paula – Elliott, you are absolutely phenomenal and amazing and hearing the blueprint of your life and what you’ve had to overcome, the obstacles even makes it a richer story for your background. You’re awesome!

Simon - I thought it was a cop out, that song for you. I thought it was the first time where I felt I was disconnected between you and the song. I thought it was completely and utterly the wrong song for you. It was the first time for me that you appeared uncomfortable. I think you have more of a soul voice. I just thought it was a bit copy car. I wasn’t crazy about that. The weeks before I loved you and your voice, but tonight was not your best for me.

8) Ace Young - "Butterflies" by Michael Jackson

Randy – You know what’s great? When I first heard you were going to do this song, I was a little worried about it because it’s Michael Jackson and it’s risky. But you’ve got this great falsetto and you pulled it off. It was hot!

Paula – I enjoyed you better than the original artist. I thought you did an incredible job. Your falsetto is amazing and to stay there with a crowd of people and not lose your nerve, unbelievable. And to go right into your natural voice … talent.

Simon – Ace, I think you made that work. However, I think there were parts of the vocal which were not great. I thought the beginning was good, the end was okay but the middle went off for me. But you made it work.

Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2006, 09:05:56 PM »

Elimination Results : Kinnik Sky, Ayla Brown, Gedeon McKinney and Will Makar.

Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2006, 08:09:52 PM »

Week #4 - Top 12 Contestants – Stevie Wonder Night

1) Ace Young - "Do I Do"

Randy – The song started off for me not good. It’s like you couldn’t find the key. By the middle of it you got it together, but it was just alright. I like your energy in performing and stuff, but Stevie’s hard with all the changes. It was just alright tonight for me.

Paula – Ace, I totally disagree. I think you started off the night fantastic. What I love about you is your spirit. You put everything into it. You has some cool dance moves in there and you entertained everyone. It was a great job!

Simon – Well, Ace, luckily for you this audience is very easily pleased. I’ll tell you why I said that. Because Randy is right. It wasn’t a great vocal and this will not be the best vocal performance tonight I guarantee that. It was a bit manic, to be honest with you. You’re going to have to do better than that.

2) Kellie Pickler - "Blame it on the Sun"

Randy – Very interesting song choice for me for you. It was kind of like a non-event, like it didn’t even happen. I don’t know. All the spark that I liked about Pickler, there was none of that there and vocally I think the key was low. It was just … it didn’t work for me. I love the shoes though.

Paula – You could definitely tell you were a little bit nervous, a little bit out of your comfort zone. It was a little too safe. You didn’t take any chances with the song. You sang straight to the melody and the little razzle dazzle that you bring kinda didn’t show up, but you look gorgeous/

Simon – Kellie, everything went wrong tonight, in my opinion, and I’ll tell you why. First of all, you would have sent half of America to sleep with that performance. It was so boring and it felt like it was never going to end. It was completely outside of your comfort zone. Plus, it’s like you’ve gone to Dolly Parton school the way you look tonight. You’re nineteen years old and it’s just all gone wrong. You know, it’s all safe and old and boring. It was for me, without question, your worst performance so far.

3)Elliott Yamin - "Knocks Me Off My Feet"

Randy – I didn’t think this was your best performance, but I think what the problem is is that you see how hard it is to bring something new to something great. You are singing the melody, but at the end when you hit the note, I was like “Yeah, that’s my boy, Elliott, right there!” because you showed that you have some flavor and vibe. It was good.

Paula – Elliott, I love the fact that you weren’t afraid to show the greatest singer of all, Stevie Wonder, how moved you are and how inspired you are by him. It is such an amazing feat to be able to be standing next to your idol. I love your passion and I think you are an amazing singer and I think we’re going to be seeing so many more weeks of you it’s not even funny.

Simon – Best so far, but I have to agree with Randy. That, for me, did not have the wow factor. I think you were nervous and I think you did a good job on it, but it’s very important at this stage that you have to start showing a bit of originality. It was just a good rendition of a Stevie Wonder song. It wasn’t incredible, it was good and I don’t think good at this stage is good enough.

4) Mandisa - "Don’t You Worry Bout a Thing"

Randy – You were amazing last week, right? This wasn’t as great as last week for me. I saw some of your personality. I don’t know what it is. These Stevie songs are great, I’m telling ya. They’re the hardest songs in the world to sing and bring something original to them, but so far tonight for me, you’re the best so far.

Paula – The very last thing that Stevie said absolutely holds true for you. You can sing anything.

Simon – Okay, now we have a competition. Best so far.

5) Bucky Covington - "Superstition"

Randy – It was definitely the right choice for you. I was excited about seeing you do Stevie week because it’s so far away from what you really do. Actually, it wasn’t the greatest vocal performance but I really enjoyed it! I actually really enjoyed it!

Paula – I actually enjoyed hearing you sing Stevie Wonder too. It’s different. I wish you would have gotten out of your comfort zone just a little bit more, but having said that, you did really good, Bucky.

Simon – Bucky, let me start with the positive. I thought it was actually one of your best performances so far, but I’ve got to talk about this Jessica Simpson hairstyle. I mean seriously, that has got to go. But the performance was fine.

6) Melissa McGhee - "Lately"

Randy – You look as if you know what I’m already going to say. You forgot the lyrics in front of Stevie. You forgot the lyrics in front of us. That aside, you had some definitely flat and sharp notes, but I think it ended up really strong and I remember why you are in this top twelve. You’ve definitely got pipes. You can sing.

Paula – You should wear dresses more often. You look absolutely beautiful. So you messed up the lyrics, but you want to know something? When you open up your mouth to sing there is something very very soothing about your voice. It’s like it’s a breath of fresh air. I love that voice and it’s different from any other voice in the competition, so keep on going. I think you did a really nice job.

Simon – Melissa, in my opinion, that was your best performance so far. It wasn’t perfect, but it was edgy, it was contemporary. I thought it was very good, very strong.

Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2006, 09:26:19 PM »

7) Lisa Tucker - "Signed, Sealed, Delivered"

Randy – I know this is going to sound strange but I’ll tell you, the hottest part of that song, really was the end because during the middle of the song, I was getting a little bored. These Stevie performances for me tonight are a little karaoke, but at the end, when the band did the stops with you and I saw your personality, it was hot. There’s no question about it, you can definitely sing.

Paula – You were a little nervous tonight. I could tell. But when you really go outside and you add your own little ad libs and the melody is where you really shine. I thought that when you took those chances, that’s the Lisa Tucker that I love.

Simon – Lisa, for me this was one of the best performances, and I’ll tell you why. Because for the first time, I saw someone absolutely take control of this stage. You didn’t feel swallowed up by it. There are a lot of good singers in this country, I’ll admit that, but then you’ve got to have that something extra, that it factor. It was great. I loved it.

8) Kevin Covais - "Part Time Lover"

Randy – I wasn’t expecting you to sing it good. I wasn’t expecting you to sing it in tune. You sang it good and you sang it in tune. There were some funny dance moves and you’re wearing makeup! I love it! The transformation of Kevin. Stevie’s right, it was definitely interesting, not the best we’ve seen, but definitely enjoyable.

Paula – There’s another sign that says “Kevin is my Heaven”. What I love is that even Stevie Wonder went “Little Kevin!” He wanted to squish you too. You know it was great. You sang it in tune, you had your own style, your own strange dance steps, but they were there. It’s a hard song to sing and keep in time and you were in time. Way to go!

Simon – This was the point in the show where Stevie Wonder turns down the volume. It was appalling. It was. Kevin, it was.

9)Katherine McPhee - "Until You Come Back to Me"

Randy – The Katherine McPhee that we fell in love with at the auditions when we first met you, America, tonight she’s back and she’s off the chain! That was hot. We got a hot one tonight! That was unbelievable. I loved everything about it. Dude, you are da bomb!

Paula – There’s something about your voice that just pierces through the heart. It really does. When you open up your mouth, man oh man. Tonight was your best performance ever.

Simon – Katherine, you’re good. You know who you’re beginning to remind me of? Remember the first time we saw Kelly Clarkson at this stage in the competition? There is something about you that reminded me vocally of Kelly Clarkson.

10)Taylor Hicks - "Livin’ for the City"

Randy – You know what I loved about this performance more than any other? I know all of those gigs that you played coming up and all the bars, clubs, weddings, whatever, finally paid off tonight. You were fearless!

Paula – I look at everyone playing their instruments and everyone’s got the biggest smile on their faces, the audience stands up. You are such a fun performer and you have so much passion, so much. This is what you need to be doing just to make everybody happy for the rest of your life.

Simon – Taylor, your appeal is that you’re like every dad that’s ever got drunk at a wedding. It’s a compliment. Every dad whose got drunk at a wedding, got on stage and sang. The difference is you can sing.

11) Paris Bennett - "All I Do"

Randy – Once again, what we finally first saw in you. The greatness we first saw in you. You’re so young to have all this experience, all the right vocal choices. You were unbelievable tonight. Hot!

Paula – Seasoned veteran! You were up there as if you had been doing it for years. You are only 17 years old and you could teach a lot of performers how to do it up there.

Simon – It’s like we’re watching two different competitions up here tonight, aren’t we? The first half was alright and then the second half is brilliant. You’re so confident, Paris. You’re like a performing little doll. Wind her up and off you go! Very good!

12) Chris Daughtry - "Higher Ground"

Randy – You know what’s cool about you? Every week you figure out a way, no matter what goes on, no matter what song you’re singing, you make it your own. I was kinda worried how you were going to pull off the whole rocker thing. Dude, you worked it out!

Paula – What’s great for me is I never worry! I just sit back and enjoy every single week. It was fantastic.

Simon – Thank God for Chris, because while we had some good performances tonight, this for me was the only real performance so much as, I could actually imagine you having a hit with that record. Because I hate it when people don’t take risks, they do a karaoke version of the song. It is so important that you choose the song well, which you did. You did make it your own and it stands up in the real world, which is what the show is all about. Best tonight by a mile.

Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2006, 09:29:32 PM »

Elimination Results : Melissa McGhee.

Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx