gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:25:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 406
Total: 406

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: O Beautiful Star of Bethlehem  (Read 4678 times)
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« on: December 23, 2005, 10:32:17 AM »

I had to go googling....this traditional old time Christmas mountain song, most often sung in the bluegrass style, was written by A L Phipps.  Now, the interesting thing.  The Phipps family, from KY, is often compared to the Carter Family of VA.  I grew up in the foothills of the Smokies in east Tennessee.  My Dad's family is from Hiltons, which is just across the TN state line in VA.  The Carter sisters, Anita and June, used to sit on my grandfather's lap and sing to him. 

There were always local bluegrass bands playing in the area, but I was a child of the 'burbs who thought it was way too uncool.  I was a band geek and rocker chick.  Wink It wasn't until I went to college at East TN State University that I first learned to appreciate bluegrass music.  I saw the late John Hartford in concert, and was amazed as he buckdanced, played fiddle and sang. 

We used to go to a place called the Red Pig, and watch such great local bands as the "Coffee Gap Cork Lickers."  LOL

But the plaintive emotive wail of the high lonesome mountain bluegrass is my favorite.  People such as Ralph Stanley and Bill Monroe are genius.  Current favorites are Allison Kraus and Union Station, whose bass player is from my hometown in TN, Bela Fleck and Doc Watson, whom I've actually seen live more times than I've seen Clay. Paranoid I even own a banjo....don't laugh!

Anyway, it was a great honor to see Clay sing to his grandfather.  It was a great joy to hear him sing music so close to my heart.

Here's another download, from jojoct at the Clackhouse.  In this recording, you can hear Clay's grandfather exclaim "Beautiful!" and "Go Clay go!" near the end.  He's right.

O Beautiful Star of Bethlehem
Galadriel
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 06:31:53 PM »

Pamela, I was born in Kentucky (Naomi Judd's home town-Ashland Kentucky). I would hear bluegrass music on television at my grandmother's house sometimes.  I listen to it on NPR on the weekends. It is also played live here during the week (I now live in Ohio) if one knows where to go. It reminds me of my uncle playing banjo. I appreciated that Clay sang bluegrass and that he did it for Papa makes it extra sweet. He did it because he knows how much his grandfather loves hearing him sing and obviously his grandfather loves that music.  With Clay, music isn't just a song. It is likely to be a story, an outloud prayer or an act of love but never just a song.  I will always treasure this performance.
quynn
UltimateFan

Nobody Special

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 06:39:59 PM »

The Carter sisters, Anita and June, used to sit on my grandfather's lap and sing to him.

As in June Carter CASH?  WOW!

I even own a banjo....don't laugh!

Hey, that's pretty cool.  I'm really NOT laughing.   Smile

Anyway, it was a great honor to see Clay sing to his grandfather.  It was a great joy to hear him sing music so close to my heart.

You are so lucky.  It must have been the most heartwarming moment to  experience something so special in the Clay Nation.

I actually became acquainted with this song on a PBS Christmas special.  Clay sings it Aiken style, which makes it an original to me.

Could you imagine Barry Manilow, Perry Como or Andy Williams pulling off a performance of this song?  I think not!

"You're a mystery. You have your own look. There is something very magical about your look and your voice is so pure." --Gladys Knight--
ILClaymate
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 07:18:44 PM »

Pamela ~ thanks for all the googling!  How interesting also.  Does this mean you and Clay have a con.nect.tion??  Smile  I love Allison Kraus!   She is actually from my area, a town about 45 minutes away so our local news follows/highlights her career alot.

I'm in the process of downloading the song now.  I didn't get to hear it last night so I'm looking forward to Clay singing it 'Aiken style'!!  I think this was a wonderful dedication to his Papa.  Love!
woodstock854
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

"I need help!!!"

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 07:37:09 PM »

Thanks, Pam.  I will download it right now!!!!!
Woodstock

"There's something about the way I can't take my eyes off you...  There's something about the way your lips invite..."
Julie, jj, Liz, Carol and Janet are our Guardian Angels
"My faith has conquered fear, on my way here."
OCD Support Group Founder
Marilyn
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

THE EPITOME OF DECORUM

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 08:37:54 PM »

I USUALLY DONT CARE FOR BLUEGRASS, BUT THE POIGNANT WAY CLAY SANG IT AND THE FACT IT WAS FOR PAPA REALLY TORE AT MY HEARTSTRINGS,

THIS WAS CLAY GIVING THE GIFT OF HIS JOYOUS VOICE TO SOMEONE HE LOVED.........AS HE HAS DONE FOR US OVER AND OVER DURING THE LAST FEW YEARS.

IT WAS PHENOMENAL!

ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!
ANGELA
Enthusiastic

A FAN FROM MASSACHUSETTS SUPPORTING CLAY 110%

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2005, 02:36:28 AM »

THANKS PAMELA,
I AM IN THE PROCESS OF DOWNLOADING IT--BUT IT MAY BE NEW YEARS DAY BY THE TIME MY DIAL UP PUTER HAS IT ALL DOWN LOADED     Laughing.

ANGELA

"BE HAPPY,TRY YOUR BEST & LET GOD TAKE CARE OF THE REST"
"LIZ, JULIE, JJ & CAROL OUR 4 SHINING ANGELS" "SUPPORTING CLAY 110% SINCE DAY ONE"    "
Her
Enthusiastic

CLAY'S #1 FRECKLE LOVER

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2005, 03:06:11 AM »

"
Coffee Gap Cork Lickers." 
  unusual band name ...  Cork lickers as in corks from corn liquor ???? 

Official Charter Member of the OCD

He is the beloved singing teddy bear placed near a young girl's flouncy canopied bed.

ANGELA
Enthusiastic

A FAN FROM MASSACHUSETTS SUPPORTING CLAY 110%

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2005, 03:14:08 AM »

PAMELA,
THE DOWNLOAD DIDN'T TAKE AS LONG AS I THOUGHT  Smile--

I JUST LOVED THE FACT HE DID IT FOR HIS GRANDFATHER (IT WAS SO SWEET)& THEN TO HEAR HIS GRANDFATHER SAY "GO CLAY GO" GOT ME ALL TEARY EYED (BUT HAPPY TEARS).

THANKS FOR THE DOWNLOAD--JUST LOVED IT  .

"BE HAPPY,TRY YOUR BEST & LET GOD TAKE CARE OF THE REST"
"LIZ, JULIE, JJ & CAROL OUR 4 SHINING ANGELS" "SUPPORTING CLAY 110% SINCE DAY ONE"    "
ralncclayfan
Claynewbie

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2005, 03:18:00 AM »

As much as I love everything Clay sings, and I mean everything, when he sang Oh Beautiful Star of Bethlehem,  I can 't get that song out of my head and the reason he sang it.
All my friends said they loved to hear him sing, but they really love the man now. His love for his grandfather was so touching.  Carolyn
GWENN
Enthusiastic

HE'S KILLING ME!!!!!!

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2005, 07:30:35 AM »

THIS WAS CLAY GIVING THE GIFT OF HIS JOYOUS VOICE TO SOMEONE HE LOVED.........AS HE HAS DONE FOR US OVER AND OVER DURING THE LAST FEW YEARS.

SO WELL SAID, MARILYN.  THIS SONG/VIDEO TOUCHES MY SOUL EVERY TIME I SEE IT.  IT IS ONE OF THOSE TIMES WHEN I SAY---I THOUGHT I COULDN'T LOVE HIM MORE AND I DO. 

PAMELA--SUCH A LOVELY CONNECTION FOR YOU AND THIS SONG.  AND CLAY.

DID ANYONE GET A PICTURE OF POPPA WHILE CLAY SANG THIS? I WOULD HAVE LOVED TO SEE HIS FACE.

GWENN

HIS VOICE WRAPS AROUND MY HEART.
KEEPER OF CLAY'S CHARM
ALWAYS AND FOREVER
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2005, 07:41:48 AM »

If I had been Papa, or Grandma, or Momma Faye--

I would have been a blubbering mass of goo!!!

That even brought tears to my eyes.  I just love the sentiment (oh, and the song, too)

Clay "is" the "News"
When Words Fail--Let Music Speak
Mary
Claymaniac

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2005, 12:45:27 AM »

I felt that I was spying in on an intensely personal and private moment between Clay and Papa and yet it was in such a public display of love.

Gotta love that man! Thud! He can sing anything. Bluegrass, who knew it would sound so good. I think that it is my new favorite song.
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2005, 07:08:45 AM »

Here are the lyrics :

Beautiful Star Of Bethlehem

Oh Beautiful Star of Bethlehem
Shining afar through shadows dim
Giving the light for those who long have gone
Guiding the wise men on their way
Unto the place where Jesus lay
Oh Beautiful Star of Bethlehem shine on.

Oh Beautiful Star of Bethlehem (Star of Bethlehem)
Shine upon us until the glory dawns.
Give us a light to guide the way
Unto the land of perfect day
Oh Beautiful Star of Bethlehem, shine on (shine on)

Oh Beautiful Star the hope of light
Guiding the pilgrims through the night
Over the mountains till the break of dawn
Into the light of perfect day
It will give out a lovely ray
Oh Beautiful Star of Bethlehem shine on (shine on)

Oh Beautiful Star the hope of rest
For the redeemed the good and blessed
Yonder in glory when the crown is won
Jesus is now the star divine
Brighter and brighter he will shine
Oh Beautiful Star of Bethlehem shine on (shine on)

The best kind of friend is the one you could sit on a porch with, never saying a word, and walk away feeling like that was the best conversation you've had.
Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
mainer
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2005, 06:29:06 PM »

love the song and everything about the performance -- would love to see a video if one is out there somewhere...or a photo of Clay's papa listening.  (not to be ungrateful -- I'm thrilled to have the recording), many thanks!!!
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2005, 10:07:25 PM »

Here is a video download of the song, compliments of jojoct at the CH.  Beautiful.

Left Click for BSOB
InAweOfClay
UltimateFan

Forever a Fan

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2005, 12:10:20 AM »

Had to download both the video and then the mp3 to hear Papa. It surprised me that he said "Clay" instead of "Clayton". This video is about the all-out happiest video I have seen of Clay. Just thinking about it makes you smile. 
mainer
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2005, 09:30:08 AM »

Thanks Pamela -- I had actually tried that once before but without too much success -- but when my daughter comes home I'll get her to download it onto a disc for me.  I just love the song, and especially love hearing Clay's papa -- given the occasion of the performance, hearing Clay's "Papa's" voice becomes such a touching and meaningful part of the whole.  Positively memorable performance.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx