gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:00:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 303
Total: 303

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WONDERFUL DESCRIPTION OF JNT 05  (Read 5564 times)
Claymaniac2000
UltimateFan

Clay's Butterfly

« on: December 20, 2005, 06:44:09 AM »

Admin Note: 
Please be aware that this review of the JNT05 contains detailed spoilers of the show! 
Thanks.  -Pamela

I AM BRINGING THIS OVER FROM THE CLAYBOARD WITH THE AUTHORS PERMISSION. IT IS THE MOST INSIGHTFUL REVIEW I HAVE EVER READ. IT IS IN 5 PARTS AND IT IS BEAUTIFUL.

**A Kelly fans interpretation of Joyful Noise 2005** PART 5
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 it's going to be pretty long, so my mom told me to post it in parts.... so here's part #1- CT-MCWL

As a huge Kelly fan, I?ve also been pretty fond of Clay over the last few years. Mostly on the account of my mother (Mad4Clay), but listening to him non-stop around the house or in the car, and hearing about every monumental event that?s happened in the few short years hasn?t really given me a choice but to half way follow him as well.

My mother and I have traveled the country over the last 3 years seeing both our idols. From living in Minnesota to traveling to California all the way across to Atlanta, I?ve seen every tour he?s done with the exception of last years Joyful Noise, making my total, for a Kelly fan, an astounding 17 shows. (I?ve seen Kelly live 22 times) But none of these shows, Kelly?s included have even come close to measuring up to Clay?s amazing work with this years, Joyful Noise.

I went to the Minneapolis show a week and a half ago. I had heard about the type of show it was and of course stayed optimistic even after hearing that some fans didn?t really like the play idea, and not having Clay as the focal point the entire time. With plenty of opportunities to watch the show, because of all the awesome recordings that people have gotten, for some reason, I didn?t watch them, couldn?t watch them. I wanted it to be something new, and surprising, and wow was it ever worth it.

I took my 2 best friends along with me, who are also huge Kelly fans. My mom was there with 3 of her closest friends. (1, not a Clay fan at all.) My dad was there with 1 of my younger brothers, and my Grandmother also attended with one of her friends. Pretty much a big family affair.

When we got there we waited around like always for the doors to open, and finally when they did, we took our seats and waited more for it to begin. During the opening act, William, whom I have watched before we were back in row 19, right behind the wheelchair section. Pretty depressing at first, we couldn?t see a thing, but what we heard of course was nothing short of unbelievable. He was amazing, beautiful, and very pleasing to the eye.

But lucky for us, as Williams set ended my mom called me on my cell phone and said there was a whole row of empty seats up in the front, and to come on down. So, the three of us jumped from our seats, and down to the front. 3rd row, a little off to the right of the stage. We sat there during the small intermission hoping that these seats really were empty and not just belonging to some late arrivers. Suddenly the lights went out, and our prayers were answered.

The music started, as we waited for the curtains to rise. Tension grew, and suddenly in an elegant bliss the curtains were raised and a beautiful Christmas scene was left in its place. People were running all around celebrating the season. They all looked so happy, so cute, but when Clay came out, I found them to all be a bit bothersome, I couldn?t get one single picture of him, their heads always seemed to make it into my shot. So I stopped trying and just sat back and watched. It was simply a sight to see, very well organized. The song, Christmas time? couldn?t have been a better pick for the beginning. And as I continued to watch the characters, and then Clay interacting with them, I soon got the feeling his purpose in this play was going to be more than just the backing track. The power he had over them seemed so perfect, it brought control and simplicity to the set as they all paraded around the stage, all actions seeming as though they were all at the end of Clay?s finger tips. (in a good way)

And then the song slowed down and the dancers quickly left the stage. All except Clay and a little old lady. I watched her intently as she hung her head low and almost dragged her feet across the stage, seeming to dread something, although I wasn?t sure what. And then, one of my favorite songs by Clay started, Merry Christmas With Love as the lady entered her home and began putting her things away. If you?ve gone to this show already and haven?t stopped to watch the actual play because you wanna see Clay, I seriously urge you to go to another and watch the brilliant scene unfolding right before your eyes. When I look through all of the videos, I get the feeling that most people are just watching Clay. And although you get to see his every movement that way, while he?s doing justice to this amazing song, you?re seriously missing the point. So, I watched the old lady, very attentively. She walked so slowly around her little house. Decorated with photo?s of who, I could only imagine where her family members. But she was sad, so I figured they weren?t with her anymore. Especially the big photo of her husband, who she stopped for a moment to look at. And with the lyrics in the background and the actions taking place in front of me, I couldn?t help but feel bad for the lady, as I got a little choked up, thinking how real these events really are for some people. (even as I write this, I find myself getting quite emotional.) Then she slowly took her place in the chair in her living room, and slowly opened her bag and took out her knitting materials, and began knitting as the song came to an end.

The music stopped, and we were left watching the old lady in the chair. Then suddenly there was a knock on the door. Maybe she did have family; they were here to see her. But as soon as the knock became more of a song, jingle bells, I knew it was probably just some kid in the neighborhood. But sadly, she didn?t jump up and answer the door; she instead tried to ignore it, and even turned away. But the knocking continued, so she angrily got up and answered the door. A small boy was left standing there, and they conversed for a moment before she allowed him in. He was quite the chatterbox, and very cute. The little lady was soon known as Ms. Beverly, and although she seemed a bit irritated by the boys?, ?diarrhea of the mouth? she allowed him to stay there and talk with her. He spoke of the other kids in the neighborhood, of his family, and of Christmas, simply asking why she wasn?t happy or excited about any of it.

Soon we came upon another revelation. She was talking to the young boy, Thomas or Tommy about family, which reminded her to call her son. She walked over and picked up the phone. It rang and rang, and then the answer machine kicked in, telling us, not only did she have a son, also named Thomas, but also and daughter-in-law, Angela, and a new baby grandson, Scotty. You could see she was very disappointed that her son wasn?t home to answer her call, but I believe she might have even gotten a little upset when she began to leave a message, but was cut off when the machine stopped her saying it was full and couldn?t hold any more messages.

Edited by: duckadorkyrae at: 12/14/05 6:08 pm

Janet Claymaniac2000
Hey Butterfly....Open up your weary eyes and realize.....It's a trip we're taking

BRETT-------WELCOME HOME
JULIE you are in my heart forever
Claymaniac2000
UltimateFan

Clay's Butterfly

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 06:45:23 AM »

Here's the second part... SR-CS

Ms. Beverly immediately hung up the phone, stopping for a moment to gather herself before turning back around to Tommy, who sat in her chair, playing the air drums with her knitting needles. When she turned back to face him, he quickly put the needles away knowing he wasn?t supposed to have them, and then we were left with a bright faced Beverly, obviously hiding her feelings for the purpose of the boy.

She instead begins to tell him of the grand times her house used to be filled with when her family was there. It goes dark in the house and the scene is pulled back slightly to make more room for Clay and 5 actors who were sat on the stairs of the set.

At this point in the play I had felt all emotions running through me. It made me laugh, cry, smile, and frown. In my opinion, in a play as short as this one, only immense talent can bring forth the full round of emotions that people have. As I look to my left where my friends were sitting I could see my friend had been feeling the same way as I, as she quickly dabbed a few tears away from her eyes. We both looked at each other as a silent conversation passed between us letting us both know so far, the play was nothing short of spectacular.

The music for Sleigh Ride begins, and immediately our spirits raise from the sadness we just felt to the new energy that was brought forth by the actors and Clay, who walked about the stage performing this piece; very upbeat and energetic, seemed all the 6 people on the stage. The actors were pretending to, of course be on a sleigh ride, with all their actions again on the whim of Clay and the song.

It?s really cool how Clay put it together, and at this point I had to remind myself, this isn?t only a performance by Clay, but also supposed to be telling of the happy Christmas season that Ms. Beverly and her family once had.

Clay was so cute during this song, as he of course sang it beautifully, he also acted out some parts just as the actors were doing. Especially the ?gitty up, gitty up? part, where he acted, with his hands like he was riding a horse, it was cute and very animated.

Immediately it goes into another song, Jingle Bells, in which the back- up singers, Angela and Quiana join Clay center stage to perform. The energy in the theater rises once more as they perform the most unique and fun version of Jingle Bells I?ve ever heard.

The 5 dancers in the last song take the stage again in what I could only explain as a 50?s style theater performance. They dance and frolic across the stage with the biggest smiles planted on their faces that I?ve ever seen.

Again, Clay along with the girls are very animated, not just standing in the background singing, but making it seem as if they?re more than just the soundtrack, which is very cool. It was like watching two performances at once.

Once again, the dancers are in my way of getting a good shot of them standing up there all together, except at the very end of the song, when the dancers move to the right, and all three sing ?sleeeiiiigghhhhh? and raise their hands into the air, in which I got this picture, which I think is really cute.

After Jingle Bells, Ms. Beverly and Tommy come back onto the stage and she ties in the two songs we just heard by telling Tommy, ??see, I used to celebrate Christmas just like you do.? They talk for a while as Tommy rants on and on about the pictures he?s seeing in her house. She explains about not getting to see her son much anymore, but tries to change the subject and get to making cookies with Tommy, who simply says he?s a horrible cook. She tries to make him anyways, but as soon as they begin to get up, Tommy sees the picture of an old man, who Ms. Beverly explains is her husband, who died when Tommy was only 2. Beverly tells a short story about her husband and son and Christmas in which Tommy pleads that she not tell his dad about because he?d want to do that too, and his mother doesn?t trust his father with power tools. The crowd erupts in laughter as Ms. Beverly tries to bring back the cookie idea which is shot down one more time when Tommy sees a picture of them two of them together when they were younger and of course asks about it. Ms. Beverly tells him, they met at a Christmas dance, and her voice fades out as the music to Christmas Serenade begins and 6 actors take the stage on the opposite side in a set made to look like possibly a high school dance.

The mood again changes to calm and the movements of both Clay and the dancers are very slow and subtle as he begins to tell the story of their first meeting through song.

The lady walks into the dance and seems very shy, and suddenly spots a guy who is also by himself at the punch table. In the song, the man offers the lady a drink, and she refuses for a second, but then says alright, maybe just one glass, which is exactly what the two of them acted out. The song of course fitting magnificently into the whole story line.

The two finally decide to dance and as they begin, once again, Clay controls every movement on the stage and as he raises his hand slowly and moves his fingers slightly, a crystal like sound is heard as all the dancers freeze and Clay continues to sing and then pulls an ornament out of his jacket pocket, dangles it slightly for the crowd to see and then walks over to the Christmas tree and faces the dancing couple once more. He walks up behind them and places his hand delicately on her shoulder as the crystal sound was heard again and the couple continue their dance exactly where they left off, not missing one beat, just elegantly moving across the stage floor, with the best sincere smiles, as if they were in heaven in each others presence. The two spin around and then slowly the man walks away from the woman, and as Clay sings, ?he gives an unexpected gift.? I found myself getting all excited because I finally knew what the ornament was all about.
He slowly takes it off of the tree and walks back over to her with it behind his back. And when he?s close to her he brings it out and dangles it in front of her. Pure joy and happiness seems to come over her at his simple, friendly, loving gesture. She happily takes it and hugs him as they begin a close, slow dance. Others at the dance begin to leave as the song comes to an end. The couple take center stage and Clay climbs the stairs to be on the upper level.

That part of the play, brought a somewhat calm and relaxed feeling over me, as I watched them, so very light on their feet, and Clay with his soft spoken singing tone. It was as, if I wasn?t intently watching the scene I would have been able to fall asleep right then and there. Absolutely beautiful, and now I wondered, what does this play NOT do for me? Absolutely nothing! 5 songs down, a few scenes and still hadn?t caught a part I didn?t care for yet.

Edited by: duckadorkyrae at: 12/2/05 2:42 pm

Janet Claymaniac2000
Hey Butterfly....Open up your weary eyes and realize.....It's a trip we're taking

BRETT-------WELCOME HOME
Claymaniac2000
UltimateFan

Clay's Butterfly

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 06:48:07 AM »

Alright, sorry it's so late... but here it is anyways... HYAMLC-CW

When we come back to Ms. Beverly and Tommy, Beverly concludes the last song by telling Tommy, it was marvelous, and she?d never been so happy in her life. Tommy, being the 9 year old boy that he was caught nothing of the story beside the fact that the man stole an ornament off of the Christmas tree and gave it to her. Ms. Beverly explains it was the first gift he?d given her, and that she keeps it on her keychain. Curious, Tommy asks to see it, so she gets it out and simply tells him to be very careful with it. But of course, what does he do? Drops it. But she doesn?t get upset; she merely picks it up and presses it delicately against her heart. They begin to talk more of the night, as Beverly tells him, they did not kiss, but they danced and danced and danced. Then suddenly the lights dim on the house scene and then the spot light is on Clay, as the music for Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas begins.

The color and lighting change slightly as we keep the same gentle, slow, and romantic feel in the theater as with the Christmas Serenade. Clay is on top of the stairs sitting on a stool with a spotlight outlining the upper part of his body, while the two dancers still elegantly whisk across the stage for one more dance before they must part.

This part works so well in the play, because not only did I of course hear Clay?s beautiful rendition of the song, and get to watch these two magnificent dancers fly from one end of the stage to the other, but I also came up with a sort of vision of my own.

This time Clay wasn?t acting like the actors, by being animated, but he still wasn?t only the soundtrack. With this song, and this scene, I actually found myself thinking that Clay was the man dancing across the floor, he was the one in the story, and it flashed from them dancing, (Clay and the girl) to him singing on the stool. But never was it just as it seemed. Such raw emotion was heard in his voice, and it almost made it impossible for me to think that what I was seeing could possibly be all that was going on. He put his heart and soul into the song, it was so romantic and so beautiful, his voice began telling a story of it?s own.

When the song comes to an end, the lady in the scene walks still so elegantly across the floor and over to the punch table where she had previously laid the gift he had given her. She picks it up, and with a huge smile on her face, and then turns and walks hand in hand out of the building with her new love.

When we come back to Beverly and Thomas, she finishes up by telling Tommy that it was the best Christmas she?d ever had. Tommy, picks up on the story and with the innocence of a child tells her, ?See, that?s all you need, is a little dancin? to make you love Christmas.? Ms. Beverly tells him, he might be right, and then in a subtle hint, reminds him, she?s got no one to dance with. Tommy tells her, he stinks at dancing, and that his mother says he?s got two left feet from his fathers side of the family. Beverly then insists that she be the judge of that, as he takes his hand and leads him out to the center stage. The music for Christmas Waltz begins as Ms. Beverly tells Tommy to step onto her feet as they begin to dance together.

This part was absolutely adorable, and in my mind the start of Ms. Beverly?s turn around about Christmas. At this point Clay is sitting on the stairs, almost directly behind them just watching them dance, and singing the song. It was very simple and very cute. When the second verse begins, Tommy finds the courage in him to try it on his own, and steps off of her feet. Again it was adorable, Beverly had the biggest smile on her face, while Thomas seemed to be totally concentrated on the steps; making it seem so very real.

Then suddenly like before, the actors become his puppets as he gestures at Beverly and Thomas with his fingers and the crystal sound is heard again, and the both of them freeze. Then the lighting comes in on the younger version of Beverly and her husband as they join Tommy and Ms. Beverly on the stage. The younger versions whisk around the floor with the same manner as before, as Clay stands and Angela and Quiana join him on the stage.

Now Clay begins to ?perform? the song, as he starts walking around the stage with hand gestures at the appropriate times, and facial movements to match. Then finally he unfreezes Ms. Beverly and Tommy as they begin to dance again, but this time, they pick it up, and Tommy looks a lot more comfortable.

Now comes one of my favorite parts of the play. As we?re watching the four of them dance, Clay comes to the front of the stage, and then looks like he?s gotten a bright idea, in which he turns around, and at the exact correct moment, touches both the younger version of Ms. Beverly?s husband and Ms. Beverly and makes them bump into each other. As that happens, the crystal sound is heard again, Thomas and the young Beverly leave the focal point, as we?re left looking at Ms. Beverly and the young version of her husband. Both of them pause for a brief moment, looking as if they were just thrown into a time warp. They turn around slowly, see each other, and immediately the younger husband reaches out to take Beverly?s hand, and they finish off the dance just as beautifully as the younger Beverly and he had done.

As this point, just seeing how happy Beverly had become brought more tears to my eyes. The idea for them to get one last dance, and relive the happiest day of her life, was absolutely brilliant, and another step for her to bring the joy of Christmas back to her life. The two of them continue dancing and then the song slowly comes to an end as they stop dancing directly in front of Clay. The two of them slowly part with lingering arms, as Clay intently watches Ms. Beverly, who stands there for a moment, then starts to walk backwards. The lights go dark, and then the crystal sound is heard again, ending the scene.

Edited by: duckadorkyrae at: 12/4/05 8:10 pm

Janet Claymaniac2000

BRETT-------WELCOME HOME
Claymaniac2000
UltimateFan

Clay's Butterfly

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 06:49:25 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Sorry it took so long to get the 4th part up... been a little busy around here. anyways, i hope you continue to enjoy it.
Part 4- SB-IMYMAC

When the lights go up again, we come back to the house scene with Tommy and Beverly. She is visibly very out of breath as she walks over to him, softly shooing him out of her chair so she can sit and catch her breath. Right as she sits down she says what I?ve been feeling and thinking all along; it is starting to feel a bit like Christmas. They talk briefly about the dancing, and then Tommy tells her, he?s a much better singer than a dancer. Ms. Beverly sounds interested and asks more. He then tells her he was in the school talent show and came in second place. The crowd erupts in laughter as the last sentence brought us all back to Clay?s own experiences with American Idol. He then follows that last statement up with, ?I should have won, but whatever.? Again the crowd laughs, as we continue to see a little bit of Clay in the little boy.

This scene had to have been the funniest scene in the play. For Clay to bring in his real life experiences made it fun for us, made us able to connect with the play in a total different way than before. And as I was sitting in my seat, I would glance from the scene to Clay to see his expression as the auditorium full of people were heard appreciating his writing.

After the crowd was finished laughing about the Clay references, Tommy turns the attention over to Beverly by asking her if she?d ever sang any Christmas carols, because his mom told him, she used to be a great singer. While he asked that question he was fiddling around with something, that at the time I had no idea what was. But as Beverly responded by telling him to see what he could find on that thing, I got the impression, it must be some sort of radio. The music for Silver Bells began as Clay slowly walked over to the scene, leaned up against the wall and then opened his mouth with, ?city sidewalks?. At the very beginning of the song, he?s sort of looking out at the audience, but at the same time, leaning half way over Beverly, who is still sitting in her chair. Then he begins to get the audience more into it, by performing it with, the hand gestures, and facial expressions that were present in other songs.

As the second verse begins, Clay walks back over to the scene as Beverly takes over the song, simply sitting in the chair and singing the song to Tommy. As the chorus comes around for a second time, Beverly stands up and walks to the edge of her platform, while Clay joins in. He sings this chorus seeming to be starring right at Beverly, as her guardian angel, as the one that is going to help her get back her holiday spirit. Towards the end of the song, Clay shifts from singing to Beverly, to singing to the crowd, to singing to Tommy. Their voices mend together in the end like nothing I?ve ever heard. So perfect, so angelic, I was completely amazed; yet again tonight.

As the song ends, Ms. Beverly turns around and tells Tommy, that was a song, just for him. He thanks her and tells her, she?s good and he?d vote for her. She thanks him and tells him, he?s got to do her a favor, and come and bake these Christmas cookies. He agrees and they both get up, but are quickly stopped as Clay waves his fingers as the crystal sound is heard. The music starts, very quietly and softly as Clay walks over to the other platform, a kitchen and begins to put out the things that Beverly and Tommy will need for the cookies.

Clay starts to slowly make his way back over to Beverly and Tommy as he begins singing, The Christmas Song. When he finally reaches the two of them frozen in time, he moves his arm as to show them the way, and they immediately unfreeze and walk their way to the kitchen. Beverly takes the apron that Clay placed on the chair and puts it on, as Tommy takes a sort of towel, and puts it around him by simply tucking it into his pants. Clay sits down at the end of the platform and stays there as he performs this song. I got a few great pictures here, which is also were I noticed his very noticeable, and cute socks. Beverly and Tommy serve as background for this song as they finally get to baking the cookies.

Suddenly, on the middle of the stage we now see, what we can only assume is the younger Ms. Beverly and her son Thomas, also making cookies. Seeing them like that made me think once again that Ms. Beverly was once again enjoying the holiday season. Through Tommy, she got to almost relive what it had been like, when her son was still around; days that she obviously cherished, and missed.

Clay ends the song with a high note that must put all male singers to shame. Then simply gets up, and walks away behind the kitchen platform, and out of sight. The lighting in the kitchen comes back on, so they are now the focal point, and Beverly and Tommy begin conversing again. Beverly tells him, he?s helped out so much that he should go outside and play with his friends, and by the time he gets back, she?ll have cleaned up the kitchen and the cookies will be hot, and ready to eat. Tommy of course gets excited hearing that he won?t have to clean up the kitchen, so he gets up and runs out of the house, as another song begins.

From the side of the stage, suddenly Angela walks out, and is now standing up on top of the stairs. She begins to slowly walk down them, as the music continues. When Angela starts to sing, immediately I know it?s a sad song. She held such emotion in her voice as she sang, that I felt like I was feeling the same things as Ms. Beverly. Angela walks onto the platform that holds Beverly?s house, and grabs a small picture frame that sits on her tiny, round end table. She looks at it momentarily and then with it, walks over towards Beverly who is still on the other side of the stage in the kitchen. Angela stands in front of Ms. Beverly for a moment with the frame still in her hands, looks at it one more time before reaching out for her hand and placing the frame gently in it. Then as Clay had done many times before, she moved her arm as the crystal was heard and Ms. Beverly came back into motion. Beverly stood there for a moment, trying to figure out how the picture of her son and his wife had gotten into her hands. She looked around her and then at the picture as she slowly makes her way from the kitchen and back to her living room, where she places the picture frame back where it belongs.

While Angela is singing this song, which again couldn?t have been more fitting, Ms. Beverly acted out the lyrics. It brought us back to a sad time. You could tell she was again thinking of the past, thinking of her husband, and thinking of her son. Wishing that somehow, someway, she could have all of that back. Angela?s voice made me want to melt. It?s so uniquely different from every other female artist out right now. Her voice and this song blended together so beautifully perfect, I couldn?t help but shed more tears as the scene played on. At the most beautiful part of the scene, Ms. Beverly sees her Christmas tree ornament her husband had given her the day they met. And she reaches down to pick it up, and then holds it up in the air, and then brings it back down and covers her heart with it. If I thought I was crying before, well that was nothing compared to my sobs when that happened. Because to me, it wasn?t as if she was just hugging the gift because she cherished it, it was as if she was hugging him again, it was as if she was able to feel him, to hold him again, even if for just a short moment. It was absolutely touching, and wonderfully put together. At the close out of the song, Ms. Beverly turns the picture of her son and daughter- in- law towards her, and holds out the ornament so it?s right next to the frame. And for a moment she sits there and stares at the two of them, remembering them, loving them, and missing them, mostly at Christmas time.

Edited by: duckadorkyrae at: 12/7/05 11:14 pm

Janet Claymaniac2000

BRETT-------WELCOME HOME
Claymaniac2000
UltimateFan

Clay's Butterfly

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 06:51:01 AM »

wow, i've been working on this for a few hours now.lol...
i just couldn't stop. so, here's part 5, CMH-MGUCL...

again, i hope you enjoy it, and thanks in advance for reading...

As the song comes to an end, Angela picks up the phone and puts it into Ms. Beverly?s hand. Applause is heard throughout as the phone begins to ring. You can see the pain in Beverly?s face as the ring just continues, but there is also a small amount of hope in her eyes, which is quickly lost as the phone once again goes to the answering machine. This time, knowing that the message box is full, she quickly hangs up, seemingly in defeat. She stands there for a moment, her hand still lingering on the phone as she tries to gather and rid herself of the disappointment. As she?s standing there, again, seeming to be at her lowest point, suddenly the door opens up, and in walks Tommy. He quickly comes in, throws his bag down on the floor, and plops himself down in her chair, putting his feet up onto the stool. Ms. Beverly reminds him she doesn?t want to pay to warm up the neighborhood, and he instantly apologizes and goes to shut the door.

The two of them converse for a while, Tommy telling her everything his mother has ever told him, while Ms. Beverly just stands there and listens. Tommy then suddenly tells Ms. Beverly that she should come to his house for Christmas dinner. She chuckles a bit and responds with, ?we?ll see?. He then stands up, and gets even more excited, ?If you want, you can come to my church tomorrow too!? At first Beverly isn?t quite sure of the idea, she tells him that she hasn?t been to church since her husband was alive and her son was still living with them. Tommy tells her, ?It isn?t regular church, it?s our Christmas musical.? Ms. Beverly?s attitude towards the invitation, seemed to suddenly change, as if you could tell, that that was possibly an old family tradition of hers. Tommy then tells her that he?s the narrator and can get her some good seats. Beverly tells him that that is an offer she can?t refuse, and that she was glad he came to visit her today. He responds with, ?Ya, cause that way you got some help making your cookies.? Totally having no idea what an impact he really had on her, and how much he showed her how important it was to be with not just family, but friends as well during the holidays.

Ms. Beverly asks Thomas if he would like to help her make her house look more like Christmas; he gets an excited look on his face as music begins to play. He goes to sit on Ms. Beverly?s lap and then the crystal sound is heard and they freeze as Quiana brings out a box and hands it to Clay. Clay walks over towards the two of them, and places the box down on the stool and then takes off the lid, and in one swift movement, the crystal sound is heard again as Tommy gets off Beverly?s lap and starts digging through the box of Christmas ornaments.

Clay begins to sing the beautiful lyrics of the song, Celebrate Me Home, and I remember sitting in my chair, still bawling my eyes out. And not because she had been sad, but because she had finally found something to celebrate, and that she had finally realized that she could have a holiday season, because there would always be someone who cared about her. At the chorus of the song, Clay turns to Quiana as they sing it together, their voices again blending absolutely perfectly. They sing a few lines and then turn around both watching as Angela joins them on stage. Clay sings the beginning of the next verse by himself as he watches Ms. Beverly and Tommy decorate the house, and then suddenly Angela walks over to him. At first, I had no Idea what was going on. I was watching thinking something was wrong, something had happened, but as I looked around, nothing to me seemed to be out of place. She whispered in his ear, and then urged him to look over at the scene again. He did, and then she whispered something else to him. I felt my suspicions and energy level rising as I wanted to know what they were talking about. As soon as Clay had figured out what Angela was saying, he gave a smile to her, and then held up his hand as if to say, ?that?s a great idea, okay watch this.? He walked a little closer to the scene, and then this time with both of his hands, like a wizard putting a spell on something, moved them as the crystal sound was heard. The door to the house opens and in walks a man and a woman holding a child. Immediately you know, it?s Ms. Beverly?s family.

I know this was just a play, but I have never felt so much joy in my life. Every other time I said I was bawling had no comparison to me now. I felt like such a dork, I was crying so hard my shoulders were shaking up and down, so obviously everyone around me could tell I was crying as well. And I couldn?t hold it in either. Oh no, every time I cried before it was a silent cry, but as they walked into her house, and the looks on everyone?s face, I couldn?t help but pour out all my emotions, as people around me could probably hear quiet sobs coming from me.

Clay and the girls continue singing as Ms. Beverly hugged her son and daughter in-law, and then introduced them both to Tommy, who first shakes their hands and then gives them a loving, friendly hug as well. I thought to myself, what could possibly get better than this. That was absolutely perfect, beautiful, and of course once again, the song choice couldn?t have been better.

Suddenly the other actor and singers join them all on stage, standing up on the stairs, and Clay stops singing for a moment, as Ms. Beverly?s son reminds her of their Christmas?. He tells her, that he saw a sign at the church about the Christmas musical tomorrow and asks if she would like to go. Ms. Beverly?s joy is heard in her voice as she accepts, and tells him she might even know someone that could get them some good seats. Ms. Beverly laughs and then the songs starts up again, as they all continue singing, ?Please, celebrate me home? over and over again as the curtains fall, closing the scene and the first half.

When we return to the play, the curtains raise and we are now seemingly sitting in a church. The piano is playing quietly with Ms. Beverly at the front of the church talking with her family, and Tommy is standing around seeming to be looking for something or someone. Then from the side of the stage Clay enters; He ever so slowly walks over to Ms. Beverly and puts his hands on her shoulders, and kind of moves her position so she is now looking in the direction of Tommy. He then steps back as the crystal sound is heard again, and Ms. Beverly comes back to motion. She immediately walks over to Tommy and asks him, ?Are you looking for someone??

At this point the roles are reversed and now it is time for Tommy to learn the same thing that Ms. Beverly just had. Ms. Beverly tells him she?s sure they?ll be here, but he can?t worry about that, because he?s got a performance to narrate. She then fixes his clothes up a bit, and places his book bag to the side and tells him, he is good to go.

At the same time, Clay, Angela and Quiana take their place on the stage in the middle of the stairs, right above where Tommy is going to be talking. The lights are still dark on that part of the stage, and as soon as Tommy was ready, he took his spot at the podium as the crystal sound was heard, beginning the musical.

The first notes of Oh Holy Night begin as it stays dark on the stage. And then when Clay opens his mouth, the spot light is on him as he begins to sing what we?re supposed to be see as the musical. And as odd as that may sound, it really wasn?t a hard thing to do. Towards the end of the song, the singing stops as Tommy reads what has just happened in the musical, tying it all together for us. Then the singing comes back as the three of them finish up the song beautifully.

? ? ? ? Then like puppets, Clay raises his hands and the spot light rises on Tommy as he tells the next part of the musical. As his part ends, The First Noel begins and Clay begins to sing. This part I?m sure is the most enjoyable for some fans, who would just rather have Clay on the stage alone, singing these timeless Christmas classics, and although I know this part was needed and necessary to play out the rest of the musical, I much more preferred the acting and singing, then just the singing. Clay closes out this song, with range, power, and emotion as he wails out the last word, ?Israel.?

He then again, raises his hands as the lights come on Thomas and he continues with the next part of the musical. At this point everyone in the church stands as Clay begins singing, Hark, The Harold Angels Sing. The song was beautiful, and the voices mended perfectly, and of course Clay cannot let us down with the big finish, so the hair on my arms rise as he belts out, ?the lord.?

Tommy gives us another reading, as the lights go out and the music for Emmanuel begins. I?m sure Jacob sang the song beautifully, because I?m a fan of his voice, but he couldn?t have been that essential to the play, because never once did I feel his presence missing. Clay did wonders to the song, and made it one of my favorites. The power of the song is just outstanding, it?s simply amazing how it can go from a huge production, down to a bare whisper and keep the same eager passion the whole time.

I guess I must have a lot of favorites, but I?m truly serious; Mary Did You Know was beautiful and brought tears to my eyes. Such an outstanding song to begin with, and when you add the crisp, raw emotion to it that Clay and the girls do, it can do nothing but make you melt in your seat. Glory notes, quiet, secretive whispers, all just send chills up and down you as you can just close your eyes imagine him singing it directly to you.

After this song the church scene ends, as the lights come up and people begin to get up and leave, shaking Tommy?s hand on the way out. Tommy walks out from behind the podium, and looks around, seeing that his family hadn?t ever gotten there. Ms. Beverly is happily talking to her family, until she sees Tommy standing on the other side of the stage, alone. Obviously bringing her back to how she had felt before he came to her the day before. She begins to walk towards him, as Clay freezes the time and reaches Tommy first. He then rubs his head and then turns him towards Beverly, showing him that, he really wasn?t alone. He unfreezes them and they walk towards each other, and Beverly shakes his hand telling him he was quite the performer, and he did a great job. Tommy tells her he wishes his mom and dad could have been here, in which Beverly tells him, she?s sure they wanted to be there, but just because they were parents doesn?t mean they do everything right. Tommy immediately goes into his talkative self, and is about to tell her another story, but is quickly stopped by Ms. Beverly who tells him simply, that no one is perfect and we all forget to do things from time to time. She then tells him, ?Grown ups can make big mistakes, like forgetting how important the holidays may be, no matter how old you are, and no matter how alone you think you are.? He then asks her, ?So, you don?t think Christmas is a kid?s holiday after all huh?? and she responds, ?No, sir I do not, I think Christmas is a holiday for everyone.? During their talking the music for Grown up Christmas List begins, and as Ms. Beverly tells him that they need to get him home because it?s almost time for Christmas. They begin to walk away as the crystal sound is heard again and they again freeze.

Then Quiana begins the song, singing it at first to the audience, and then slowly she makes her way to the middle of Ms. Beverly and Tommy and begins singing the song to them. Then as the second verse begins she moves back out of their way as Clay unfreezes them.
This is such a good way to end such a good scene. The idea that runs throughout the play, of people, young and old, getting together and helping each other through the holidays, is unbelievably beautiful. Throughout the first half, it was Tommy?s job, unknowingly to help Beverly realize that she could still celebrate Christmas, if not with family then with friends. And then suddenly the roles were turned as Tommy ended up needed friends to fill the void that he felt when his mother and father hadn?t shown up for his Christmas musical.

As Quiana sings, ?packages and bows?? suddenly Beverly stops in her place, possibly feeling the presence of her husband near by. She walks back into the center of the church and then looks up and sees him, standing right there, walking across the stage with a glass in hand. Tears continue to roll down my face as the scene in front of me continues to unfold. When Beverly stops, she reaches up and blows him a kiss, as he raises his glass to her. The idea of him coming back now, during Christmas time, while at the church, where she had been with him a number of times, was so moving. And the fact that she didn?t break down and cry at his feet, and instead just wished him a farewell, by blowing him a kiss, was simply stunning. After Beverly?s husband held the glass up to Ms. Beverly he immediately continues on his way, and quickly walks off of the stage. Then Beverly, quickly accepting that he is indeed gone, simply turns around and faces the audience as Clay freezes her.

Clay then gets up, and walks towards Quiana, who hands him the snowflake ornament. Clay takes it in his hands, looks at it for a moment and then walks to Ms. Beverly, grabs her hand, and places the ornament in there, closing her fingers around it and then brings her hand up to her chest. He then backs away, then unfreezes her. Beverly takes her hand from her chest, and then sees that?s she?s holding the ornament, and then for a moment wonders why, and how it got there. She quickly tosses the thoughts aside as she again starts to walk out of the church, but stops when she remembers that Tommy had forgotten his backpack. She walks back in and grabs it, and then proceeds to walk out again. But again stops in her place, as she gets an idea. She looks at the ornament and then slightly lifts the backpack, immediately telling the audience what it is exactly that she is doing.

The tears once again came in an abundance as I realized this. In the story of the ornament it was obvious how much it meant to her. Being the first gift that she had gotten from her husband, and the fact that he was now dead, I would imagine that she would continue to treasure it forever. But, with this gesture, it not only told us that she was now back in the spirit of Christmas, but that she knew, even without the ornament, her beloved husband would always be with her, and that she had Thomas to thank for it all, so giving him something that meant so much to her, was simply a thanks to him, and a way to tell him to continue to pass on the holiday spirit, which as a kid, held so much of.

Ms. Beverly wore a huge smile as she opened Tommy?s backpack and happily placed the ornament inside, and then placed the bag to her chest squeezing it with love and happiness. Then she immediately leaves the ?church?, as Quiana takes center stage and Clay and Angela follow her, standing behind her, backing her up, while she closes out this phenomenal scene.

Edited by: duckadorkyrae at: 12/14/05 6:46 pm

Janet Claymaniac2000

BRETT-------WELCOME HOME
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 11:12:03 AM »

HEY THERE, JANET!!! IGNORING THE FACT THAT THE PERSON WHO WROTE THIS IS A KELLY FAN, NEVER-THE-LESS IT WAS ONE OF THE MOST THOROUGH RECAPS OF THE ENTIRE CONCERT I HAVE EVER SEEN!!! THE WRITER WRITTEN BASICALLY EVERY NUANCE AND EMOTIONAL INFLICTION THAT THE VIGNETTE'S WERE SUPPOSE TO CREATE. READING THE 5-PART RE-CAP, I QUICKLY WAS TAKEN BACK TO THE JOYFUL NOISE CONCERT I WENT TO IN CINCINNATI. A LOT OF THE THINGS IN THAT REVIEW/RE-CAP I HAD FORGOTTEN BUT UPON READING THIS, IT BROUGHT BACK EVERYTHING!!! I FOR ONE HAD ALWAYS APPLAUDED THE VIGNETTE'S EVEN before I SAW THE CONCERT. THE REASON BEING, I FELT IT WOULD ADD SOMETHING TO THE CONCERT AND AFTER SEEING THE SHOW, I WAS RIGHT. THE VIGNETTE'S ONLY ADD AND ENHANCE TO THE CONCERT. CLAY BEING THE PERSON WHO WROTE THOSE SCENES IS EVEN MORE REVEALING!!! SO MUCH EMOTION AND SO MANY LITTLE SUBTLE THINGS ARE TIED INTO EACH SCENE AND CLAY WROTE THIS MATERIAL!! AMAZING!! IT SHOWN ME THAT CLAY HAS A KNACK FOR WRITING CHARACTER-DRIVEN DIALOGUE SINCE BEVERLY AND TOMMY'S DIALOGUE FIT THEIR "CHARACTER" IF THAT MAKES ANY SENSE.

I FOUND MYSELF SMILING A LOT AND GETTING TEARY EYED, TOO, WATCHING THE SKITS. Clapping Clapping

I SAW YOUR OCD POST ALERTING US TO THS THREAD...BUT YOU KNOW MY DAILY ROUTINE Laughing I WAS OFF TO THE POST OFFICE AFTER I WROTE MY OCD POST THIS MORNING AND I'M GLAD I CAME OVER HERE AND READ THIS! AGAIN...WHETHER THE WRITER BE A KELLY FAN OR A SLIM WHITMAN FAN, IT DOESN'T MATTER!! A THOROUGH RE-CAP LIKE THAT ABOUT CLAY AND ON TOP OF THAT, AN EMOTIONALLY-DRIVEN RE-CAP AS WELL, IS ALWAYS A WELCOME READ.

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
cl4clay
Enthusiastic

CLAY'S FAVORITE COOKIE CHEF

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 04:14:53 PM »

Wow - This brins it all back to me and more.  I remembered so much of this, but then I'd have to re-read it to remember other parts.  What a wonderful description and what a wonderful memory the writer must have to tell this story they way she did. Kudos to the writer and to you for bringing it to us. Thanks , Evelyn

CLAY'S PASTRY CHEF
Julie,JJ and Liz - Our OCD guardian angels
WilsonClaymate
UltimateFan

The way you make me feel

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 04:49:10 PM »

I won't see the show until Thursday night but after reading this review I will certainly look at it in a different way than I might have.  It's true we all want to see and look at Clay but I'm going to try to watch the show as a whole and enjoy it the way this reviewer did.  It sounds like if we do that we will enjoy it even more.

I wasn't expecting to be disappointed anyway but now I am really looking forward to seeing what Clay has put together.  I"M SURE I WILL LOVE IT.

"For me he's not a hobby, he's not an obsession, he's a joy, something that makes me happy..."      ~cc777

I couldn't have said it better myself
Barbara
ralncclayfan
Claynewbie

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 06:08:27 PM »

This review was truly amazing.  I, too have not seen the concert, but will see it Thursday nite also.  I have lousy seats and will probably miss half of what is going on stage, so this review was just what I needed.  Am so excited and was a little tearful reading it.  I can very well relate to the theme because I am a widow and have a daughter and her family living in Alaska.  Looking forward to meeting some of the Claymaniacs at Damon's
for dinner before the concert.  Yea !!!   Carolyn
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 07:05:14 PM »

Janet, that was so much fun to read - thank you!  It sure does give all the details too.

In fact, I'm going to add a spoiler tag to your first post so people will know!  Just in case.  You'd be surprised that are people who want to stay unspoiled.  Although I do feel that it is beneficial to know the format and structure of the show in advance; some of the people who reportedly left the show at intermission possibly just didn't understand that the show was not a concert after all, and that's what they expected. 

I stayed fairly unspoiled myself, up until I saw the show in Camden!  Honestly, the cellcerts don't give the whole story, not at all!

I'm happy so many people enjoyed the show.  It's a different side of Clay that we haven't really seen, even at JNT04.  He is in full character until the end, and I found my enjoyment of the show was enhanced because I knew that going in.

Thanks Janet!

KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2005, 06:12:28 AM »

Wow! That was detailed, Janet. Very nice! Thanks for bringing it over!

The best kind of friend is the one you could sit on a porch with, never saying a word, and walk away feeling like that was the best conversation you've had.
Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
Claymaniac2000
UltimateFan

Clay's Butterfly

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2005, 06:20:58 AM »

PAMELA, Thanks for putting the blurb at the top about this being a "spoiler". I didn't even think about that when I brought it over but I know if I was going to get to see the concert I would like to know what is going on and this is such a touching review I feel like even people who haven't seen the show would get so much more out of it by reading this. I still can't understadn how this girl could remember the details so perfectly. I felt as if I was sitting by her side at the concert when I read it.

Janet Claymaniac2000

BRETT-------WELCOME HOME
mainer
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2005, 08:17:49 AM »

Wow -- I am grateful to the Claymaniac who brought this review over, and to the attentive Kelly fan who described the concert with such wonderful detail -- of not only what was going on, on the stage, but what was goiing on in her as member of the audience.  I won't be able to see JNTII, but I could see it through the writer's eyes. 

It seems to me that some critics have suggested that the play behind the musical was just another Xmas spirit lost- Xmas spirit found kind of story -- but the storyline seems richer, deeper, and more sophisticated to me.  I love the presence of the memories of the younger Beverly and husband embodied as spirits crossing dimensions -- as when Beverley receives the ornament from the other side; with guardian angels and crossed-over loved ones interacting with the living.  This is the stuff of Dickens -- ghosts of Xmas past, of Marley, of Scrooge's lost love -- yet an entirely different story, with pathos and humor. 

I especially loved the ending -- one would expect that young Thomas's Xmas would have been saved, that his family would suddenly stand up in the choir loft or come running through the door -- but life is not like that, and many children's Xmases are not as hoped and fall short of the ideal.  The ending with Beverly explaining to Thomas about adults and Xmas -- and then slippiing the treasured ornament, with all of its associations for both of them,  into his backpack -- wow -- a "perfect ending".  In "Learning to Sing", Clay mentioned that he was not a good writer -- if his play might have needed any editing or technical improvements, I couldn't say -- but I'd have to say that Clay is a great story teller.  Incorporating all of those songs within the story, human and angelic agents interacting from one reality to another,  with puppet motions and hand movements and stop and start actions to the  sounds of crystals chiming (simplifying and elimninating set changes) -- well, the whole thing just sounds very sophisticated, well organized, flawlessly choreographed, scripted to adapt a traditonal theme to a whole new story line -- my guess is that it could easily become a classic.  It has all the makings of one.  Wouldn't it be nice if next year, around this time, and in a desireable time slot without a lot of competition, it could be played on TV -- maybe a videotape of one of this year's best live performances -- maybe a fundraiser for PBS, with videos for sale and as gifts to donors....maybe something to bring this to the attention of the larger population.  One has expectations that in years to come, this script might join others (the Gift of the Magi, A Christmas Carol, etc.) for high school and college performances by gifted stiudents...Thanks much for the review, and thank you Clay.
geraldine
UltimateFan

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2005, 05:53:22 AM »

WOW--THAT WAS GREAT!  BROUGHT THE WHOLE PLAY TO LIFE.  I HAVE A CD OF SOME OF IT AND NOW WHEN I LISTEN TO IT, I'TS AS IF I AM SITTING RIGHT THERE WATCHING.

CLAY IS SO TALENTED!  THANK YOU FOR BRINGING THIS HERE.  I FOR ONE WAS UNABLE TO SEE IT, NOW I FEEL LIKE I HAVE!

JUST WONDERFUL REVIEW!

Clay's my Wings of Love!
Proud to be a Claymaniac!
geraldine
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx