gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:18:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 176
Total: 176

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How to Make a 4-hour Journey last 34 Hours--My Clay Trek Adventure  (Read 5937 times)
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« on: December 18, 2005, 03:47:46 PM »

First, let me say that I don't travel much. Wink  Then, let me say that I hate to travel alone! And, also, let me say that I appall flying!!  And, finally, that 5 or 6 six cars is a Traffic Jam where I come from.  Laughing

Why did I think that I would travel to New Jersey, alone, on a plane, in the middle of winter, just to see Clay and meet a few Claymaniacs??!! 

Now I am going to relay the whole sordid tale of my big venture just so y'all can have a good laugh at my expense.  lmao

The plan:
I was to leave Maine Friday afternoon and take an hour and 20 minute flight to NJ and spend the evening with Susan.
I would take a train on Saturday evening to Philadelphia and meet Pamela at the train station to go to Gwenn's house.
Simple right???

Au Contraire!!

There was a big snow storm on the East Coast on Friday.  (But, we didn't get that much snow in Maine. Roll eyes)
I went online Friday morning to print my Boarding Pass and it says, "Flight Cancelled"!!!
I call the airport and the nice lady there says,  "Ma'am, you are not getting a flight out today"!!
I call my airline and get put on hold for over 1/2 hour. Then this man answers and says, "Ma'am, you need to speak to International Reservations, not Domestic Reservations."  PhoneOkay, who moved Maine when I wasn't looking??!!  Don't Know He says he can transfer me.
After being put on hold AGAIN, I finally change my reservations until the next day.
All I had to do was make a bazillion phone calls, write 1001 PMs, and repack my whole suitcase.

The next day dawned bright and clear.  I ate only 1/2 sandwich (and no breakfast) before we left home because my stomach was in knots with all the stress from the day before (and I was afraid it would rebel on the plane  Puke).  My hubby took me to the airport and sort of "dumped" me there because he had to get back home for our son's basketball game.  When he left, I was going through security to board the plane.  Why didn't anyone tell me that you have to take your shoes off to go through security now??!! I wouldn't have worn my lace-up boots and double-knotted them. Then I woudldn't have burst out in the "you've got to be kiddin' me" laughter when I was told to remove my shoes.  And the big, burly security guard won't have said, in his most snippy voice,  "Ma'am (why does everyone call me that??  ), you can either take your shoes off or stay home"  :spank  I say (in my meekest voice), "Yes, sir, but this is gonna take a minute."
I finally get on the plane, sit there waiting to leave, trying very hard not to Puke, when the pilot comes on and says, "We have a 15 minute delay.  Hopefully, we will be leaving shortly."  In about 15 minutes we taxi out to the runway.  Purple Banana And then we STOP!! The pilot says, "We are on another 15 minute delay due to air traffice in Newark.".  We wait another 20, or more, minutes and the pilot says. "We are now on an hour delay.  We are going to taxi back to the terminal."   We get back to the terminal and they herd us all off the plane.  They set up ONE reservation counter so all the people on the plane can change their next connecting flights.  I had made a reservation on Amtrak for 6:27 that evening.  I knew I wasn't going to make it.  I called my son who was online and asked him to check to see what was the latest train leaving Newark to go to Philly that evening. He couldn't find out.  I called Gwenn.  She would check on this.  I called Christie and got her voice mail. I called Susan 3 or 4 times and never got her because she was already in the Newark airport waiting for me. The good news--the reservation people were willing to help me change my Amtrak reservation, although we were all clueless about what time to change it to.  Paranoid The bad news--because we had gone through Security we could not leave the "secure area" just inside the terminal where they herded us.  No food!! No drink!! No potty!!   They told us they would update us at 5:30 PM.  When that time came, they suddenly threw open the doors to the outside and said, "Hurry, hurry we are leaving NOW!"  We all had to run down a huge flight of icy steps, run across the tarmac, and into the plane. Wheeeee!!!  We got seated, got our safety instructions, and away we wennnntttt!!  It is now around 6:00 PM. Laughing  I am getting hungry because I haven't eaten all day, so I scarf down some stale pretzels. Wink  Unfortunately, the plane ride is very, very turbulent. My mantra was, "At least we are under way now--at least we are under way now."  Then we hit a big bump and I changed to, "I am going to see Clay--I am going to see Clay."  Then we had to circle Newark Airport and I said, "I am going to see Pamela, and Susy, and Gwenn, and Christie--over and over and over. Wink By time we get done circling the airport, we landed at 7:30ish PM.  My Amtrak train was leaving at 8:19 PM.  Paranoid  I ended up waiting over 20 minutes for my luggage even though I had "gate-checked" it during the delay in Bangor.   

So, now, I am trying desperately to find my way through Newark Airport to the Amtrak Station. I finally ask someone wearing a stewardess uniform the way to the train station and she heads me in the right direction. Laughing Just as I pass Security, I spot Ms. Susy standing there!!  We hug. We say "hi"  and she points me in the direction of the Airtrain so I can get to the Amtrak station and she can dash back to her bus stop before she misses her ride back home. We say "good-bye". Cry!

I get to the Airtrain station and I ask the Redcoat which airtrain I need. He points me in the right direction and says I just have to wait a few minutes for the next train. Wink  I finally board the Airtrain heading for the Amtak station. Cheer!  We go about 15 feet and suddenly STOP!!  A very high-pitched musical voice comes on and says, "I'm sorry, there has been a delay.  I'm sorry, there has been a delay. I'm sorry there has been a delay"

I finally get to the Amtrak station and there are NO ticket booths open that late at night.  So much for picking up the ticket I had reserved in Bangor!!! argh!  It is after 8:19 PM, so I asked one of the workers if there is possibly a later train going to Philly,  He says, "Don't worry, ma'am, your train in an hour and 45 minutes late." So, I went to an automated ticket machine and bought ANOTHER ticket to Philly. Laughing  I brought the ticket back to the same nice, understanding fellow who told me "where to go".   I went to the appropriate Track and waited for my train.  Clapping

I finally got to Philly, made my way through 30th Street Station (very nice, by the way) and found the lobby. And who should be standing in the lobby, but the fabulous Ms. Pamela whose train was late, also.  Purple Banana Purple Banana We had planned on being at Gwenn's at 8:00 PM and finally got there around 11:00 PM. Laughing  to Gwenn for the food, potty, and wine. Wink

Was this loooooong adventure worth the it??? Don't Know

The answer:
Yes, yes, yes!!!!!!!  I had a marvelous time once I got there!!!! Baby Dust Baby Dust

Clay "is" the "News"
When Words Fail--Let Music Speak
Glory
Enthusiastic

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 03:58:40 PM »

GOSH DEANNA IT WOULD HAVE BEEN FASTER TO WALK. ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO BUT AT LEAST YOU MADE IT. SOUNDS LIKE YOU PULLED A GLORY. lmao lmao

A LITTLE LAUGHTER, A LITTLE SNARK, A LOT OF COMPASSION MAKES UP MY CLAYS HEART.
THINKING OF JULIE,JJ,LIZ, CAORL OUR OCD ANGELS
Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 04:27:12 PM »

Holy Crow Deanna!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was quite the adventure! Thank goodness for all the great customer service you experienced throughout the ordeal Roll eyes ....not! I'm so glad you finally made it to your destination and got to meet wonderful Claymaniac friends and see/hear that handsome spikey-haired singer! A Big Hug! to you for going through all you did and doing all the things you didn't like to do!

“We cannot tell the precise moment when friendship is formed. As in filling a vessel drop by drop, there is at last a drop which makes it run over. So in a series of kindnesses there is, at last, one which makes the heart run over.” James Boswell
heater
Enthusiastic

♥ Two happy bubbles are better than one! ♥

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 04:30:01 PM »

My goodness Deanna!  I knew it was an adventure, but you sure did endure a lot!  I'm so glad you got there safely and had a wonderful time!!   

DoubleBubbleHockeyfan
Cellcert Groupie
~Tacet Twin #1 - The Mouthpiece~
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 05:47:42 PM »

It was crazy wasn't it Deanna!

And the worst part was that the people in Newark had NO idea why your plan was delayed! None at all.

So I'm there waiting right, freaking out that you'd get there and I wouldn't be there because the last bus out of the airport home was at 8:40. If I missed that it would be a night in the Newark airport which wouldn't be fun.

But... just as I was getting ready to race out to the bus terminal to wait there it was on the screen... plane landing!!!!

I was thrilled!

I raced back to the security check point and waited and there... lo and behold was Deanna!

It was a crazy day all around!

But seeing everybody at the concert was worth it.

Oh and plus I saw Larry Bird in the airport!

hee!

AI Forum Moderator
Yup, I think about Clay probably about as often as men think about sex.
"Half my butt is mac & cheese and the other half is Krispy Kreme..." Clay Aiken
Carpe Clayum-Seize the Clay
cjrmax
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 05:02:24 AM »

Gee, Deanna.  Did I forget to tell you that you have to remove your shoes when going through security???? Paranoid

Sorry about that!  Laughing
LuvMyClay
Enthusiastic

He Makes My Day

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 09:05:03 AM »

Geeeeze Deanna what we endure for Clay.  Does this guy even have a clue?  I loved the way you told the story.  It was quite funny, although I'm sure I wouldn't be thinking so had been me.  YIKES!!!

A couple of questions:

1.  Are you traveling again?

2.  Aren't there any planes from Maine to Philly?

Just a thought... In the future when going to see Clay, go in the summer.  ROFLMAO
lorilovesgolf
UltimateFan

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 09:11:24 AM »

Oh Deanna!!  Bless your heart!  I wouldn't blame you for never traveling again.  Unless it was for Clay......and meeting Claymaniacs.........then you could blame yourself!!!   ROFLMAO

I would have had the worst migraine by the time that adventure ended!! By the way, how was the trip home??

"Some men walk and find their place in the world...
Some men show the world their walk."
Author Unknown.
Official Charter Member of OCD
GWENN
Enthusiastic

HE'S KILLING ME!!!!!!

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005, 09:20:21 AM »

LORRIE--I DON'T THINK CLAY HAS A CLUE WHAT WE DO FOR HIM.  AND BECAUSE OF HIM.  AND WHAT WE WOULD LIKE TO DO TO HIM.  OOPS. shocking

GWENN

HIS VOICE WRAPS AROUND MY HEART.
KEEPER OF CLAY'S CHARM
ALWAYS AND FOREVER
LuvMyClay
Enthusiastic

He Makes My Day

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2005, 09:30:59 AM »

LORRIE--I DON'T THINK CLAY HAS A CLUE WHAT WE DO FOR HIM.  AND BECAUSE OF HIM.  AND WHAT WE WOULD LIKE TO DO TO HIM.  OOPS. shocking

GWENN

Yes, Gwenn, and that pisses me off!  Laughing
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2005, 09:43:48 AM »

Deanna - I would've freaked by then! What a nerve wracking experience!!!

It's almost as bad as when Audra was on her way to Toledo this summer, forgot the time change and raced like a mad woman to get to the hotel to meet Beth. They hurried to the zoo and Audra forgot their tickets. She had to buy another one to get into her M & G while Beth went to the hotel and got their other tickets. I am so lucky I haven't had trouble yet. *knock on wood* I guess when I make that trip to Raleigh for the next tour, I better leave early!  Laughing

The best kind of friend is the one you could sit on a porch with, never saying a word, and walk away feeling like that was the best conversation you've had.
Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
lovinclay
Enthusiastic

Clay Aiken...Character and Integrity Personified!

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2005, 09:56:02 AM »

Holy Crap, Deanna!  I   Not Worthy Not Worthy  to you.  I'm glad you thought it was worth it.  Maybe next time, we should come to you.   Laughing

MICKI  

Supporting Clay, unconditionally, no matter what!

"People who read the tabloids deserve to be lied to" - Jerry Seinfield
mrs. c.
Enthusiastic

Clay's Buttercup

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2005, 11:34:32 AM »

Deanna Laughing sorry for laughing but woman you know how to tell a story!!! Wink What a day, and thank goodness we can look back and laugh when these things happen eek! Was it worth it???  would you go thru it again???  absolutely!!! Huggles

Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away!
Baby you can drive my car
Magnificently eye frelled in Clio
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2005, 05:38:29 PM »

GOSH DEANNA IT WOULD HAVE BEEN FASTER TO WALK
Yes!
And probably less stressful Laughing

doing all the things you didn't like to do!
I really do hate to fly!! Now y'all know why. Roll eyes

I knew it was an adventure, but you sure did endure a lot
Actually, you gals got the "condensed" version.  ROFLMAO  The long version including a miilion more phone calls begging not be stranded in Newark airport for the night.  Paranoid

And the worst part was that the people in Newark had NO idea why your plan was delayed! None at all.
It was weird.  The only explanation we ever got was the Air Traffic Control in Newark wouldn't let us leave.  I can only assume that there was a huge back-up of flights from all the cancellations the day before.

Did I forget to tell you that you have to remove your shoes when going through security????

Did I give away the fact that I haven't flown for years.  Smile

1.  Are you traveling again?
No!
Not alone.  Not by plane. Wink
Aren't there any planes from Maine to Philly?
My reservation was to go the NJ because I was supposed to stay with Susy on Friday and then Gwenn's on Saturday.  I did actually try to change my reservations, but the airlines told me I couldn't!!!! 

I would have had the worst migraine by the time that adventure ended!!

Okay, I confess.  By time the plane finally left, I had a terrrible, terrible headache.   It may have been the lack of food, the smell of diesel fuel. or perhaps all the stress.  Smile

I DON'T THINK CLAY HAS A CLUE WHAT WE DO FOR HIM
Could someone tell him, please.  Maybe he will get a chuckle out of my misery, too. 

I would've freaked by then! What a nerve wracking experience!!!

Because I don't get out much, I figured this sort of thing happens all the time. Wink Please tell me that it's NOT just me!!

Maybe next time, we should come to you
My thoughts exactly!!! Because I have sworn off all travel in the near future--I hereby invite all of you to Maine!!!!
PAJAMA PARTY!!!

Was it worth it??? 

Could you ask me that question again when I am a bit less traumatized. lmao

Clay "is" the "News"
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2005, 06:57:07 PM »

I read this the other night and laughed...then I thought...what the ....?  I was there!  I was never so happy to see someone I didn't know yet as I was when Deanna walked up in the Philly train station!  Laughing 

My adventure is nowhere NEAR as drama filled as Deanna's, so I'll just say that when my train finally arrived, two hours late, to the Philly station, and the first (surreal) thing I heard when I walked through the door was myself being paged (!) and I knew by then Deanna was late because I willed someone to call me (because I had no outcall service north of Richmond for some reason, but I could receive calls) and then Gwenn did, and she filled me in, and I was paged because Susy's Mom wanted to tell me about Deanna's flight being late and Susy being at Newark because Susy couldn't call because her cell battery was dead....

...and oddly enough, Christie and Gwenn got there at almost the exact same time as Deanna...and when I finally saw Deanna for the first time, I told her we would have to have twice as much fun in order to make the journey worthwhile!

You know how they say "it's the journey, not the destination?"  Well, in this case, it was definitely the destination!

Laughing

I know it was traumatic Ms D.... but we can laugh about it now, right? 

Laughing
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2005, 02:31:56 AM »

I know it was traumatic Ms D.... but we can laugh about it now, right?

Well, I was sorta hoping everyone would get a good laugh out of my misery!! Wink

I think there was a couple of times, I wanted to burst into laughter even as it was happening.  I restrained myself because strangers look at ya kinda funny when you do that.  (And I was also afraid the laughter may have been of the "hysterical" nature.)  lmao

I need to tell the story of my journey home now. Laughing It wasn't nearly as much FUN, but it was "interesting".

I promise to do that this evening.  ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

Clay "is" the "News"
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx