gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:05:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 273
Total: 273

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Christmas With Clay in the Most Dangerous City in America  (Read 5266 times)
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« on: December 15, 2005, 07:55:46 PM »

Christmas With Clay in the Most Dangerous City in America

Actually, Camden didn't seem all that dangerous, especially when I saw that the ornaments said "Philadelphia" on them and I became confused as to exactly where I was anyway.  I was where Clay was, that was all that mattered! Yeah, I'm easy, as if that's news!

Tweeter is an odd place; evidently, it doubles as an outdoor amphitheater in the summer months, and a more intimate enclosed venue in the winter, which seats up to 7,000.  The back of the venue was curtained off, and I would estimate there were about 1500-2000 people there.

Deanna and I met Susy there, and one of those really Baby Dust special moments Baby Dust happened before we went to our seats.  Apparently, a mom and dad and their little girl had purchased tickets from someone on the Clayboard that turned out to be counterfeit.  Nice.

As it turned out, Susy had exactly *3* extra tickets (purchased hastily in the presale!), and since she had upgraded us a bit, she handed those tickets right over to that family.  They were so happy!  It made me get a little misty.   Cry!

In the lobby, there are video screens showing what's happening on stage, and William Joseph was already playing when we entered the lobby right at 8:00.  William Joseph is cute and talented.  And funny. And also, very cute.  His fingers just fly in his last song, Ausperius, and I wish him all the luck and success in the world.

We were in about the 20th row and waaaay over to the side. If we had sat in our reserved seats that is.  As it was, there were three empty seats closer to the center, so we scooted on down.  Much better.  We weren't close enough to be distracted by those sparkly eyes and the like, so were were able to take in the entire stage, and to view the show as a whole instead of lasering in on you know who.

Also, I was very surprised to see the jumbotrons, as I hadn’t heard of them being used in any other venue.  Woooo jumbotrons!

I confess that I gazed up at the jumbotrons often.  But not always.  I was able to see Clay's first show/concert/play as I think he meant it to be seen.  (And besides, I had 7th row seats in DC for Tuesday, so it worked for me.  But, that’s another story.) So, this will be about the show, and for DC I’ll write about the music.

The show had Clay's touch all over it. I'm positive I could have guessed he wrote it even if he didn't tell us.  For example, the ‘diarrhea of the mouth’ and the ‘ironing your face’ lines were straight from Clay’s book.  The ‘2nd place,’ ‘I thought he won,’ etc lines definitely got the biggest cheers of the night, aside from the singing of course.  I got the impression that many of the people in the audience thought the show was going to contain more humor than it did.  Clay’s sense of humor is one of his most endearing traits after all, (to me anyway!), so at the intermission when everyone around me mentioned the Idol references being their ‘favorite part’ so far, I understood why.

Gregory was cute as Tommy.  He had more lines and action than anyone really, and considering this and his age, I was impressed.  Alison was effective with her acting as well.  I didn’t realize at the time she is from Connecticut, so no wonder her ‘suthun’ accent sounded so bizarre. 

I kept wishing she would just speak in her normal voice, which was absolutely beautiful dueting with Clay on Silver Bells by the way.  I guess Clay wanted a southern flavor to his show, but it was distracting. Her normal voice would have been just fine by me. 

It’s my opinion that the show would have felt less schmaltzy if Alison had used her normal speaking voice.  JMO. 

I only watched one little video of Celebrate Me Home waaay back at the beginning of tour, no other clack.  I wanted to be open for any and all possibilities this show could offer me.  I think Clay’s choice to stay in character was the correct one.  It would have been distracting for me personally if he was speaking, or interacting with the audience, or doing anything except exactly what he did. 

I believe he wanted the focus of this show to be on the story, the dialogue, the acting, the dancing and the music.  Not on him.  Obviously, the vast majority of people would prefer the focus be on him, but like he said, he took a risk.  I respect that.  But I’m sure he hears the roar of the crowd when he comes out for the intros, and understands the meaning of it.

As far as the dialogue, that’s another clue Clay was the writer of the piece.  There was lots of dialogue!  Probably about twice as many words as were necessary.  The story itself began a little haphazardly – for example, why did Tommy show up at Beverly’s door in the first place? I guess it doesn't really matter, but maybe it should. 

As Clay has said, the story is a traditional one, simple and heartfelt, sweet and sentimental. In fact, it is the quintessential Christmas revelation – when we wake up and remember (once again) that Christmas isn’t about decorations, food, presents or brightly lit trees.  The secular part of Christmas is about love, sharing, kindness and friendship. 

Never mind that we already know that; a reminder doesn’t hurt.  Those reminders are found in many songs, stories, movies and music of the season.  How many of us have been that lonely soul at Christmas time, who rejects the spirit of the season, then through our memories, brought about by our dealings with a friend, stranger or yes, even a neighborhood boy, realize we are loved, and we are needed, and that we do in fact have love to give back? 

Clay's story, while traditional, may not be for everyone, but it is one that many people can relate to. 

I found the show to be entertaining, for what it is.  However, my very first thought when the curtain fell was that this show should be on TV!  Just think… this show with quality sets, acting and production; it would convey so much more meaningfully on the screen.  I almost wonder if it was originally conceived in the hopes of being able to have another network television special this year.  Without the distractions of the odd staging, the sight line problems in some venues, the awkward pauses while the audience shows their appreciation with cheers and applause; and with the added benefit of some judicious editing, Clay’s story is one that I could easily see becoming an annual holiday TV tradition. 

Maybe next year. 

I think everything we do in life is a learning experience for the future, no matter how old or young we are.  One of my favorite sayings is "Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience." 

And if it’s good, it can be experience as well.
Her
Enthusiastic

CLAY'S #1 FRECKLE LOVER

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 02:24:44 AM »

Thank you Pamela!

Official Charter Member of the OCD

He is the beloved singing teddy bear placed near a young girl's flouncy canopied bed.

lorraine
Enthusiastic

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 03:54:06 AM »

PAMELA - I LOVE READING YOUR REVIEWS.  COULDN'T BE SAID MORE PERFECTLY.  THANKS.
GWENN
Enthusiastic

HE'S KILLING ME!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 04:54:55 AM »

IT WAS MY THIRD VIEWING OF THE SHOW.  I THINK I LIKED IT BETTER THAT TIME.  I THOUGHT NYC HAD BETTER SOUND BECAUSE IT WAS A THEATER, BUT I JUST LOVED THE SHOW IN CAMDEN.  I THOUGHT CLAY LOOKED AND SOUNDED AMAZING.  THE AUDIENCE WAS VERY APPRECIATIVE.

TOMMY CAME TO BEVERLY'S DOOR TO DELIVER A CHRISTMAS GIFT FROM HIS MOM.  I THINK.

I LOVE READING YOUR WRITING, GF. 

GWENN

HIS VOICE WRAPS AROUND MY HEART.
KEEPER OF CLAY'S CHARM
ALWAYS AND FOREVER
Sasha
Enthusiastic

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 05:05:39 AM »

Pam:  thanks for your review, you have such a way with words.

Sasha

Liz, JJ and Julie our CLaymaniancs Angels
Supporting Clay 100%
Offical member of the RBT- I miss my rbt buddy
mrs. c.
Enthusiastic

Clay's Buttercup

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 05:10:25 AM »

Author Clapping Clapping Clapping Pamela, your opinions are so well thought out and presented!!

Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away!
Baby you can drive my car
Magnificently eye frelled in Clio
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 06:36:35 AM »

Pamela!!

For those who may not know this (ya right  Paranoid), I was sitting right next to the fabulous Ms. P at this show.  Now I don't have to write a full review ( Clapping) because she has taken care of it for me.  And, she writes much better than I do. Laughing

I will try to add a few personal observations though Wink:

This was the first, last and only time for me to see this show.  I was trying to take in all aspects of the show.  I agree with Pamela that this show would convert to a TV show very well. And I agree with Susy's comment that Clay is such a "control freak" that he wrote himself into the show as the "orchestrator" of the whole concert.   But, as a individual who grew up acting and singing in church Christmas pagents, this show really seemed familiar to me. It brought me back to my childhood and the reason I celebrate Christmas. I was able to really enjoy that aspect of the show.

That being said, I believe anyone who enjoys fantastic music could enjoy this show. Clay's voice was a little strained that night because it was his 4th show in a row.  The only time the strain was truly noticeable was when he was "reaching" for the higher notes.  The low notes and glory notes were all absolutely amazing all night long.  He got a lot of standing ovations in the second half.  I confess to getting goosebumps.  I confess to my seatmate needing a Claynex. (wave Ms. P)

There was a man sitting in front of us who was seeing Clay for the first time.  We talked to him at intermission.  He said he was really, really impressed with Clay's voice.  At the end of the show, he turned to Pamela and I and asked if Good News was on the CD. He was just blown away by that song.  Clapping

I enjoyed the Jumbotrons that night. I understand they have not been present at other shows.  I was struck by how many "pained-looking", "emotive", and "expressive" faces that Clay actually makes while singing.  I remember thinking to myself at one point--
"If Simon Cowell was here he would close his eyes"  lmao lmao But for myself, I enjoy watching Clay emote. Wink

Clay "is" the "News"
When Words Fail--Let Music Speak
Marilyn
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

THE EPITOME OF DECORUM

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 07:00:12 AM »

LADIES THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR REVIEWS!!
WE ACTUALLY HAD JUMBOTRONS IN CONNECTICUT! WHICH I DONT REMEMBER FROM LAST YEAR, ...........BUT THEN... I DONT REMEMBER WHAT I ATE YESTERDAY, EITHER!!

GLAD YOU HAD A GREAT TIME, DEANNA AND PAMELA-I WISH I COULD HAVE SEEN YOU THIS TRIP- BUT WHEN HIS CD COMES OUT IN MARCH (yes!) AND HE PLANS THE SPRING/SUMMER TOUR- MAYBE WE CAN HOOK UP THEN!

note the above comment on cd release was purely wishful thinking and not due to inside information- dammit

ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 08:10:30 AM »

I need to add something to my review.

I had not downloaded any Clack because I wanted to be "surprised" and I really didn't know about all the songs in the show.

I was totally "Wowed" by the duet Clay does with Alison Lawrence.  Their voices blended together beautifully. It was a wonderful surprise!!
 Super Happy!!!

Clay "is" the "News"
lovinclay
Enthusiastic

Clay Aiken...Character and Integrity Personified!

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2005, 09:55:18 AM »

Thank you, Pamela and Deanna!  I alway enjoy and appreciate what the two of you have to say.  My feelings about the show almost mirror Pamela's.  The show is CHRISTMAS to me.  Some call is cheesy and sholmtzy (Gwenn did I spell that right?), but I loved it.  I knew I would.  And I loved it more each time I saw it.  I also feel that it would make a wonderful Christmas special every year.  It's traditional.  I look back at movies and specials I enjoyed as a child.....It's A Wonderful Life (wouldn't Clay make a great George??), Miracle on 34th. Street, Rudolph, etc.  I still enjoy them today.  They're "cheesy" but they're classic.  I look forward to them every year....yes, even at my age, I still enjoy Rudolph!  They mean Christmas to me.  This show would be a wonderful addition to those.  The only problem I had with this production (well, there's two actually) is the staging, and I could have done without the second ballroom dancing number.  It was just a little too much for me.  It got to be distracting after awhile, especially since thery were back to back.  But, overall, it entertained me, and put me in a Christmassy mood!  Now......on to the mall for shopping! 

MICKI  

Supporting Clay, unconditionally, no matter what!

"People who read the tabloids deserve to be lied to" - Jerry Seinfield
heater
Enthusiastic

♥ Two happy bubbles are better than one! ♥

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2005, 03:52:45 PM »

Pamela, you always know just how to say things.  Even though I haven't seen the concert yet, I can understand all your points.

Thanks for sharing!!

DoubleBubbleHockeyfan
Cellcert Groupie
~Tacet Twin #1 - The Mouthpiece~
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2005, 05:27:04 PM »

TOMMY CAME TO BEVERLY'S DOOR TO DELIVER A CHRISTMAS GIFT FROM HIS MOM.  I THINK.

Of course he did!     I forgot.  Clayfog!  Thank you Gwenn!

And I agree with Susy's comment that Clay is such a "control freak" that he wrote himself into the show as the "orchestrator" of the whole concert.
Oh lordy I forgot about that too!  *high fives Susy* Laughing

But, as a individual who grew up acting and singing in church Christmas pagents, this show really seemed familiar to me. It brought me back to my childhood and the reason I celebrate Christmas. I was able to really enjoy that aspect of the show.
Deanna, that is a great point!  When I was younger, our church always had a Christmas cantata, a musical program consisting of music and narration.  Not so much acting though!  In fact, Alison Lawrence actually directed the Christmas pageant at Leesville Baptist, which included acting, several years running.

I confess to my seatmate needing a Claynex. (wave Ms. P)

Well there's a shocker!  Wink

GLAD YOU HAD A GREAT TIME, DEANNA AND PAMELA-I WISH I COULD HAVE SEEN YOU THIS TRIP- BUT WHEN HIS CD COMES OUT IN MARCH (yes!) AND HE PLANS THE SPRING/SUMMER TOUR- MAYBE WE CAN HOOK UP THEN!
Summer of 06 in Raleigh!  Mark your calendar!

But, overall, it entertained me, and put me in a Christmassy mood!  Now......on to the mall for shopping! 
The mall? You are a brave woman Micki!  I did some online Christmas shopping this year.  At midnight.  In my jammies.  No traffic.  Now that's what I call shopping! 
WilsonClaymate
UltimateFan

The way you make me feel

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2005, 05:31:37 PM »

Thanks Pamela and Deanna for the reviews.  I will see my first and only show Thursday night and I am prepared for it to be different but I am also prepared to accept it for what Clay wanted it to be and like what I hear and see.  I have not watched any clack either because I want to be a little surprised.  My main concern after reading not only your reviews but other comments since JNT started is whether or not I will be able to see what is going on.  My seat is on the side of the venue and it doesn't sound like that is a great place to be in order to see everything that is going on on the stage.  In the long run, it really doesn't matter a whole lot--Clay will be on the stage and I will be in the building so that's a great start.

I CAN'T WAIT!!

"For me he's not a hobby, he's not an obsession, he's a joy, something that makes me happy..."      ~cc777

I couldn't have said it better myself
Barbara
paclayfan
Claymaniac

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2005, 05:05:19 AM »

Hi Everybody,

I also attended the Camden concert. I tried to look for you claymaniacs in sec 104 but I didn't see any group of loud, panting women on row T , so I figured you moved, like so many people did.  Maybe next time!

I LOVED the Camden concert.  After leaving the Reading concert sort of down (You can read my b***ching and moaning in the "critical mass", if you really care!) , it was so nice to attend this concert. I wasn't planning on going, but when a friend of mine told me she would love to see this concert, I had to do my claymaniac duty and take her, her 2 daughters(12 and 14) , another friend, and my daughter (my Clay buddy).

We were able to get 6 tickets on ebay for under the face value. I actually paid $20 for one of them. We were supposed to sit in 4 different areas, but were able to move together after Wm.Jos.  We got to sit in sec 101 in rows B and E. Not bad!

Anyway, my friend had lost her husband a few years ago, and the other friend had lost a sister a few years ago. The tears were flowing during "I Miss You Most At Christmas". I handed out tissues. They loved the show. One of them said it was one of the best shows she's ever seen.

The young girls, who weren't really Clay fans (they loved Ruben) thought the show was great.  My daughter, a true claymaniac, said, "Wait until you see the summer show!" . We now have 4 new converts!

I was so glad I attended this show.  During Good News, I found myself trying to really absorb it. I knew it was the last time I would see Clay for awhile.

JUMBOTRONS...awesome!! I never thought I'd get to see the roof of Clay's mouth!

Anyway, thumbs up!

Merry Christmas to all of you!!
Deanna in PA
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2005, 06:18:43 AM »

I tried to look for you claymaniacs in sec 104 but I didn't see any group of loud, panting women on row T , so I figured you moved, like so many people did.  Maybe next time!

We were very sorry we missed you.  But, you are right--there is always next time. Hug

I'm glad you enjoyed the show.  Purple Banana

Clay "is" the "News"
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx