gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:42:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 188
Total: 188

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Poll
Question: New CD -- Originals or Covers?
All new original songs that help continue to define Clay as a new artist?
All covers that showcase Clay's voice?
Mostly originals and a few covers?
Mostly covers with a few originals?
Half original songs and half cover songs.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: POLL: Originals or Covers Songs on the Next CD?  (Read 8580 times)
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« on: October 12, 2005, 08:48:14 PM »

What do you think -- would you prefer to have all new original songs on the next CD or would you enjoy some cover songs as well? 

So many fans loved When A Man Loves A Woman and I Can't Make You Love Me.....Suspicious Minds and Alone.....and the duets, End of the Road with Jacob.  Someone even posted in Clay Daily about Clay's duet with Heather Headley singing Can You Feel the Love Tonight.

On the other hand, would singing covers contribute to the AI stigma of singing other people's songs?  Would the covers get Clay on the radio?  Or would you prefer some new rockin' pop songs and beautiful ballads written just for Clay?  New songs that might help Clay form his own identity in the music industry?

Let's have a poll.

Please post and tell us how you voted and why!

sjlogghe
SuperFan

Clay's Geography Tutor

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 09:51:05 PM »

I voted for mostly originals and a few covers.  It seems to me that even though artists need to have original songs, it doesn't hurt to have covers recorded either.  For instance Solitaire.  That started out as the B side to the single, and soon became the A side.  Songs that are familiar to people, but simply a newer version of the song, sometimes stick in their minds more - and they are more willing to call and request that song, or more likely to listen to it.

But Pamela also raised a good question about the covers - will he just be dubbed a "karaoke singer" again if he sings more covers??  I would hope not - but there are always the critics out there who would jump at the chance to remind everyone that Clay came from AI, and isn't able to branch out from the AI-type songs.

Okay, I'll stop babbling now, since what I've said probably makes no sense anyway!!

I really don't care what's on his next album - I just can't wait for the dang thing to get here!!!!!  (and it better come before January 22 or after April 28 - otherwise I will be in Mexico!    )

Faith is the substance of all things hoped for . . .
ydebi
Enthusiastic

Clay's Lurker

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 11:12:29 PM »

SArah I voted the same way without knowing  your vote....you know what they say about  Great minds.....anyways I don't think there is anything wrong with cover songs....but I want to see what is written with clay in mind to sing....and My dear friend...if his cd comes out while you are in Mexico....I will send it to you ok.....no problem.....
wvclayfan
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

Always and forever

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 11:40:28 PM »

wave

I voted for all original songs. Now, that doesn't mean I don't want a CD with covers on it in the futrue! 

With that said, the sophomore album is crucial in defining an artist's career. In most cases it is a test to see if they can maintain those loyal fans, but also gain new ones. It also offers most artists the chance to prove that they have staying power - especially on the radio. For some, like Clay, it will not only be a test of maintaining and gaining new fans, but also if they can get, not maintain, radio play.

When I think of mainstream artists covering songs, the two most recent ones who come to mind are DHT and Frankie J. DHT released "Listen To Your Heart" and Frankie J released "To Be With You." DHT, in my opinion, took a huge risk; however, it paid off. They received a tremendous amount of airplay. Now Frankie J, who is relatively new but is still an established artist on Top 40 radio, very rarely gets airplay, unless the song is requested. Of course, I have gathered all of this information based on my small-market station. It could be different elsewhere (on CC stations maybe...).

Covering songs is a big risk, but can have a huge payoff. If any artist out there can do it, Clay would be the one. I certainly think he should put himself out there as an "original" artist first and move to the covers later.

Of course, I tend to ramble at 2:30 a.m.

When's he going to be on a Disney soundtrack (other than Aladdin)? That's an entirely different subject, I know ... Laughing

~ Lindsay ~

"I will now rise from the ashes. Don't call me pretentious. I'm sitting here making my own rules."
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 02:32:34 AM »

I personally would not mind a Clay CD with all cover songs. Laughing  But, I did vote for all original songs now. I just feel that would be best for Clay at this point in his career.  He can do the cover CD later in his career. Wink

Clay "is" the "News"
When Words Fail--Let Music Speak
stargazer
Claymaniac

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 05:30:24 AM »

I voted NO COVERS
WHY?
FROM PAST REVIEWS. CRITIC COMMENTS, AND REACTIONS OF PEOPLE I KNOW TO HIS COVERS
I FEEL THERE HAS BEEN VERY NEGATIVE RESPONSE TO COVERS.

I believe that it is crucial to his career  that this album defines who he is.

I Love him singing almost anything, but as you know not everyone does.

LIKE FINE WINE CLAY IMPROVES WITH AGE
BEAUTIFUL INSIDE AND OUT
GWENN
Enthusiastic

HE'S KILLING ME!!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 08:14:01 AM »

RIGHT NOW, CLAY HAS TO ESTABLISH HIMSELF AS AN INDEPENDENT SINGER WITH HIS OWN MATERIAL AND STYLE.  HE NEEDS TO GARNER RESPECT FROM THE MUSIC COMMUNITY.

THAT BEING SAID, I HOPE ONE DAY HE CAN DO A CD OF COVERS.  I AM ONE OF THOSE WHO JUST ADORED WAMLAW AND ICMYLM.  LOVE THEM.  THIS IS NOT THE TIME.

GWENN

HIS VOICE WRAPS AROUND MY HEART.
KEEPER OF CLAY'S CHARM
ALWAYS AND FOREVER
cjrmax
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 10:25:38 AM »

He absolutely, positively needs to have a CD of all original songs that helps establish his musical identity.  I would like to see a CD filled with a variety of music, because I think variety IS part of Clay's musical identity.  He needs a few radio hits.  He needs to show his more rockin' style.  He needs some GOOD ballads with GOOD lyrics (in other words, no "1000 Days"!  Wink).  I would love to see him have an acoustic song on his CD and maybe something soulful and something jazzy.  I want the radio songs to make people listening say "That's Clay Aiken?" and then go out and buy his CD and be amazed at what he is capable of doing.

He's too known for covers.  He is still too closely associated with AI to do covers on his CD.  Right now, he is better known for that than any of his original songs.  I want him to have his own songs so someone down the line will do a cover of a Clay Aiken song!

That said, I think it would be nice if he had a hidden bonus track of ICMYLM on his CD......
InAweOfClay
UltimateFan

Forever a Fan

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 10:50:02 AM »

We all appear to have the same opinion.

If Clay did all covers on a CD, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat and play it all the time.

But, he needs to sing his own songs on this next CD. Most people's question when I mention Clay is, "He can really sing, but has he done anything original?" Many people just don't follow a singer like we do; they just listen to their songs IF they like what they hear.

You all said this much better..........
Mary
Claymaniac

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2005, 02:15:46 PM »

I would like a CD with all new songs. I would buy another Christmas CD and an album of covers but I think that it is important to have original songs on his sophomore album.

I would like him to release a single with a cover on the B side. UM would be my pick. I love that song! ICMYLM, CYFTLT, WAMLAW are all good choices for the B side.

Clay could record an album of covers in a few hours and that could be a good filler CD later in his career.
Rayline
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2005, 02:19:57 PM »

I also voted for all original songs. He could always have covers on his singles. As a B side. Like he did with Solitaire.
Clara
SuperFan

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2005, 03:38:03 PM »

Hi, everyone!
I voted for all original songs, too.
I want Clay to be different from all other singers. He already IS original. I want others to find him SPECIAL. (Do I make sense? Hope so... My English gets unintelligible when I'm this tired...)
Love to you all,
Clara
Clayhottiefan007
Enthusiastic

Brett and Clay's Lil Freshman College TCC Girl!!!

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2005, 03:39:10 PM »

hey everyone wave

i voted for the half one!

love KAt Huggles

Kat. Huggles
DHS Class of '09
In loving memory of Debi <3
Got Clayed on 7/7/07 in Tulsa
TCC Class of '12
Be Smart and be ABOVE THE INFLUENCE and NOT UNDER
WilsonClaymate
UltimateFan

The way you make me feel

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2005, 04:02:11 PM »

While I ABSOLUTELY LOVED the JBT and would buy any album Clay puts out, I think the next album must be mostly original songs (maybe he could throw in one or two covers as bonus tracks). 

He really needs original material to get radio and naysayers hooked like we are, then he can do any type of albums he wants.  While I loved MOAM, I hope this album has some really upbeat songs--things that grab you when you hear it and make you feel happy and maybe want to dance.

Well, enough rambling but we do need an album that will appeal to more than just us--BECAUSE WE'LL BUY IT ANYWAY.

WE LOVE YOU CLAY AND WANT YOUR NEW ALBUM TO KNOCK OUR SOCKS OFF!!

"For me he's not a hobby, he's not an obsession, he's a joy, something that makes me happy..."      ~cc777

I couldn't have said it better myself
Barbara
Marilyn
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

THE EPITOME OF DECORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2005, 04:15:27 PM »

I BELIEVE CLAY SHOULD DO ALL NEW SONGS, TOO- AND I HOPE THEY ARE AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER THAN "BACK FOR MORE"!!

I THINK TEARS RUN DRY IS ALSO A GREAT SONG.

I AM LOOKING FOR THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF A SINGLE SOON- HE JUST HAS TO, YA KNOW?
AND WHAT IS OCTOBER 25TH THAT WAL MART IS ANNOUNCING PERTAINING TO CLAY AIKEN- WOULD THAT BE HIS BOOK OR IS THAT A DIFFERENT DATE?

*sigh* CLAY YOU ARE KILLING US WITH THIS CD- WASNT IT SUPPOSED TO BE OUT IN MARCH 2005 ORIGINALLY??

Roll eyes

ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!
Anita
SuperFan

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2005, 04:41:33 PM »

I voted for most originals with a few covers.
 I will buy whatever he choses to sing. 
I don't care if the radio play him or not.   
I love his voice and I admire the man.

I Believe -  Our background and  circumstances may influence who we are,but we are responsible for who we become
wisconsinmaniac
Enthusiastic

Filling Every Empty Space With Clay

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2005, 09:07:15 PM »

I voted for mostly originals, with a couple covers.    Then I read the comments! 

A CD of all very good "originals" would be the ideal for his career!   His fans would be happy.   He would come closer to losing the "AI- covers" that many identify him with.   That makes complete sense.

But, I think it would be fantastically fine if he would throw in 1 or 2 "knock your sox off" covers.  I didn't even know that I liked the song, ICMYLM, until I heard Clay sing it!   

I guess I end up being one of the fans who wants that next CD to be what it MUST be for Clay and for his fans!   

So - I think I voted with my heart.     Hopefully his management team will know the right answers from a "business" point of view!

How lucky we are to understand and appreciate the true beauty of Clay Aiken and to follow him on his journey as he "makes a difference"!
Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2005, 09:11:07 PM »

I agree with most of you.  I would absolutely love a CD of Clay singing favorite familiar songs, but I want what is best for Clay and that is an album of mostly original songs with a few covers added.

I just hope the original songs are not over orchestrated and do not over power his voice.  On MOAM, my favorites were "The Way," "Invisible," and "When You Say You Love Me."  If he has more songs in this vein, I will be pleased.  I have not heard the new songs from the JUKEBOX TOUR enough times to make an informed decision.  I will say they did not blow me away at the three concerts I saw.  And when I connect with a song, it is usually immediate.

Just my opinions,
Prissy

Hug  *Prissy*   Music violin2 
Special memories of Julie, Joyce, Liz, Carol, Janet, Kris, and Debi
lovinclay
Enthusiastic

Clay Aiken...Character and Integrity Personified!

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2005, 09:37:19 AM »

I would love a CD with a varity of original material........except for one song, ICMYLM.  As Christie said, maybe as a bonus track.  And, I would love for it to be recorded just as he sang it  for the JBT.....not alot of production, just a piano.  I never liked that song until I heard Clay sing it.  He portrayed such passion and hurt, I actually felt it!  Still feel it whenever I watch a download.  I would LOVE for that song to be on his next CD!

MICKI  

Supporting Clay, unconditionally, no matter what!

"People who read the tabloids deserve to be lied to" - Jerry Seinfield
TaikenByClayton18
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2005, 05:08:23 AM »

As much as I LOVE Clay singing covers, he needs to have original songs on the next album because this is the album that will make or break his career and I'm sure he wants to avoid the "sophomore slump." He has plenty of time to come out with a record of all covers.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx