gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:11:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 449
Total: 449

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: American Idol 5 News & Information  (Read 40329 times)
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2006, 08:25:57 AM »

Who will be the next ‘American Idol’?

First posted 11:53pm (Mla time) Jan 16, 2006
By Kathryn Reyes
Inquirer

Editor's Note: Published on Page A2-1 of the January 17, 2006 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

WHERE ARE THEY NOW?

The search for the next “American Idol” has begun. The reality show starts airing on worldwide television tomorrow.

One thing about this wildly popular program: It has made celebrities out of some non-winners as well.

Remember William “She Bangs” Hung? He didn’t even make it past the auditions in Season 3 (2004) but he was the first from that batch to cut a double-CD. He made television history just by being annoyingly funny! TVguide.com recently reported that the infamous hopeful is on No. 80 of the website’s “100 Most Unexpected TV Moments.”

Another also-ran who continues to be very visible is Clay Aiken. Voted the Most Loved Star of All Time From a Reality Show in an online poll, his last TV appearance was on Diane Sawyer’s “Good Morning America.”

Aiken was runner-up to Ruben Studdard in Season 2, but his album sales and fan base have surpassed Studdard’s.

The very first ‘Idol,’ Kelly Clarkson, recently won the People’s Choice Award for Favorite Female Singer and has been nominated for Best Female Pop Performance in the forthcoming Grammy Awards. Her first album, “Thankful,” debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and her second album, “Breakaway,” has gone five times platinum. Seeing an edgier Clarkson in her latest work, critics agree she’s here to stay.

Worthy of stardom

Season 3 champ Fantasia Barrino was nominated in last year’s Vibe Magazine Awards for R&B Voice of the Year. She lost to Mariah Carey. And though it took a while before she released her first album—she is also the only AI winner whose debut album did not land the charts in its first week—she received four Grammy nominations and two American Music Award nods last year. Now she goes by the single name Fantasia. She has also written “Life Is Not A Fairytale,” her autobiography.

Fantasia’s batchmate, Fil-Am Jasmine Trias, made it to top three in the 2004 edition. Born to Filipino parents and raised in Hawaii, Jasmine came home to big-time endorsement deals right after her AI stint. Her self-titled debut album was released in the US last year.

Her latest appearance on local TV was on the “Promdi” episode of “Extra Challenge” where she was made to catch frogs in a swamp.

Rockers on AI

Last year’s AI marked the entry of rock ’n’ roll to the largely pop show. Two contestants led this refreshing change—Bo Bice, who finished second, and Constantine Maroulis.

Bice has since gotten married, become a father and undergone a major surgery. He also released his first album, “The Real Thing,” where he collaborated with Bon Jovi’s Richie Sambora and Nickelback’s Dan Kroeger, and which made it to No. 4 of Billboard’s albums chart last month. Carrie Underwood, last season’s winner, was on No. 2. Maroulis visited the Philippines last November to star in a series of mall shows.

Back in the US, Maroulis is now doing a TV sitcom on ABC. TV acting should come easy for this New Yorker with a Broadway background.

Underwood again beat Bice in Billboard’s countdown last month.

Her “Inside Your Heaven” quickly became the Top-Selling Hot 100 Song of the Year and Top-Selling Country Single of the Year. She was also 2005’s Country Single Sales Artist of the Year. Oklahoma Today magazine also named her “2005 Oklahoman of the Year.”

Cashing in on her good looks as well, Carrie has announced on her website that she will appear in a prom pictorial on Cosmo magazine’s Winter/Spring 2006 Prom Collection.

“American Idol” itself was 2005’s People’s Choice Awardee for Favorite Reality Show Competition. Small wonder, then, that thousands of hopefuls turned up as usual in seven US cities where auditions for this season were held.

And as AI host Ryan Seacrest says after every episode, “Who will be the next American Idol?”

There’s only one way to find out.

“American Idol” will be aired live on Star World, Wednesdays and Thursdays starting tomorrow at 6 p.m. (live via satellite) and 8 p.m. (prime time replay). ABC 5 airs it on the same days at 10 p.m.

Copyright 2006 Inquirer. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://news.inq7.net/entertainment/index.php?index=1&story_id=63157

AI Forum Moderator
Yup, I think about Clay probably about as often as men think about sex.
"Half my butt is mac & cheese and the other half is Krispy Kreme..." Clay Aiken
Carpe Clayum-Seize the Clay
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2006, 08:27:18 AM »

Posted on Mon, Jan. 16, 2006
It's back! 'American Idol' returns TuesdayBY MARC SCHWARZThe Record (Hackensack N.J.)

In four years, it's become rote.
January comes. Millions of viewers turn twice, sometimes three times a week to Fox to watch "American Idol."
In May, millions more will buy, download and listen to the single of the new champ's winning performance.
Sometime in the last quarter of the year, the newest "Idol" will crack the charts with his or her debut release.
It's a routine that has become ingrained in the hearts and minds of pop culture. There is little doubt that the routine will repeat itself beginning Tuesday when "American Idol" returns for a fifth season.
But, why?
Why has "Idol" engulfed both the world of TV and music?
The answers are simple:
• Variety is the spice of life: "Idol" is to 21st century TV what the original "Star Search" and "The Ted Mack Family Hour" were to 20th century TV. "It's a show about real-life young people competing in a musical competition, complete with comedy," says Marc Berman, senior television writer for Mediaweek.
• Don't underestimate family-friendly: "Idol" appeals to a broad audience. "It is one of the few shows on American television, especially after you get past those first couple of weeks, where really little kids love it, grandma loves it," says Robert Thompson, director of the Center for the Study of Popular Television at Syracuse University.
• Cheese sells: Except for the acerbic comments from judge Simon Cowell, there's no friction or bad words among the contestants once they get down to the final 12. In fact, as Thompson points out, the show is almost "schmaltzy."
• There's something real at stake: As opposed to reality shows such as "Survivor" or "The Apprentice," the winners don't disappear or recycle themselves on other reality shows. They go straight to the top of the charts.
• Fox hasn't killed the golden goose: By limiting "Idol" to just once a season, Fox hasn't overplayed its hand the way ABC di

http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/entertainment/television/13634424.htm?source=rss&channel=kansas_television

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2006, 08:28:17 AM »

Monday, January 16, 2006
American Idol 2006 back on Star World

THE No. 1 reality show in America is back! American Idol broke records left, right and center when it aired in the US and Asia last year.

In the US, a record number of votes streamed in for the contestants, and the show saw higher viewer numbers than ever before in its 4-year history.

Over 10 million viewers tuned into the mega-show during its run on Star World, and this year promises to be even bigger and better.So tune into the actionn first on Star World starting January 18, Wednesdays and Thursdays at 18:00 HKT (Direct via Satellite), and 20:00 HKT (Primetime).

Tens of thousands of hopefuls have already turned up in seven cities across the States for their one chance at American Idol stardom. Some blew the judges away--others just blew it. But every now and then, there's one potential star who just might be what the world is waiting for.

Whether it's the hopelessly hilarious, the wonderfully weird, the amazingly gifted, or the truly pathetic, American Idol has entertained, educated, and engrossed international audiences the world over with its mix of human drama, professional prowess, and sheer talent.

Stalwart judges Simon Cowell, Paula Abdul, and Randy Jackson also return for their fifth season together.

With Simon's acid wit sharper than ever, Paula Abdul a sweet salve to his cutting remarks, and Randy Jackson the homeboy dude on the team--the judges are just as pleasing to watch as the contestants whom they encourage, ridicule, criticize, and laugh at.

Ryan Seacrest is back as well as host getting down and dirty with the auditioning crowd in San Franciso, Austin, Boston, Chicago, Denver, Greensboro, and Las Vegas.

American Idol has already made past winners stars in their own right. Kelly Clarkson has made it beyond a doubt as a gritty pop star with substance. Ruben Studdard has won the hearts of millions with his teddy-bear charm. Fantasia is still rocking the world of soul and R&B with her power voice. And latest winner, country girl Carrie Underwood, has stepped out into the limelight with her country-infused pop.

Who's next, to have a chance at the Idol dream? There's only one way to find out. Watch it first on Star World.

For Bisaya stories from Davao. Click here.

http://www.sunstar.com.nonameblogger/static/dav/2006/01/16/life/american.idol.2006.back.on.star.world.html

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2006, 08:31:06 AM »

Idol' will get ugly in its new season

By Maria Elena Fernandez
Tribune Newspapers: Los Angeles Times
Published January 16, 2006

For four seasons, we've felt the love: Kelly and Justin, hugging and crying as she became the first "American Idol," Fantasia and Diana in a love lock as Fantasia was crowned the third champion; Bo and Carrie professing their affection time and again.

Not this year. When the national phenomenon's fifth season kicks off Tuesday, the kinder, gentler "Idol" hopefuls will be nowhere in sight. These contestants fight, curse, threaten and quit rudely onstage when they don't like what the judges have to say.

"Everyone seems to have more attitude," said executive producer Nigel Lythgoe. "I don't know how to put this nicely, so you have to bleep me or something. I've never seen people willing to `dump' on other people as much as this crowd. Judge Simon Cowell has always said, `You really hate these people, you want to get rid of them.' And they go, `No, we love each other.' Well, not this crowd."

The level of tension is a bit surprising to Lythgoe, but for him, "American Idol" is about producing good television, so he'll take it, he said. In fact, Lythgoe admitted in a telephone press conference Thursday that it was his idea to toy with contestants about whether they're in the winning or losing group as they nervously wait for their results each week.

"I think it's exceptionally mean," Lythgoe said. "It's one of the meanest things we did, and I put my hand up. I'm to blame for it."

The show, Lythgoe said, will stick with last year's format of selecting 24 contestants, 12 men and 12 women, and then narrowing them to 12, six of each gender, who compete for the title. No need to mess with a good thing, he said. The No. 1 show on television, "American Idol" outperformed itself last year both in total viewers and the 18- to 49-year-old demographic.

And if squabbling among the contestants isn't entertaining enough, the producers are going to expand their coverage of the fights among judges. In previous seasons, viewers have watched as an aggravated judge, usually Cowell, abandoned the audition room out of frustration with colleagues Paula Abdul or Randy Jackson. This season, when a judge exits, the cameras go with him or her.

"Some very, very interesting things happen," Lythgoe promised

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/chi-0601160014jan16,1,4636956.story

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2006, 08:33:07 AM »

'American Idol' returns for 5th season

By TARA MERRIN -- Calgary Sun

It's that time of year.

Everyone is on a diet, the nicotine patch is flying off the shelves and American Idol, the show millions of people watch, but no one admits to, is back.
Tomorrow night, the fifth season of Fox's hit singing competition returns with outrageous new auditions featuring the good, the bad and the truly horrendous.

While there will likely be no big surprises this time around, judge Randy Jackson does promise more fights between the normally way-too-nice singers.

"I think the kids this time probably want this worse than ever -- there's quite a bit of interesting fighting and dialogue going on amongst the contestants.

"I think they're finally getting to the fact early that, 'Yes, we're friends. We're all in this together, but, hey, I want to win.' It's actually pretty funny how early it comes this time."

The other difference this year is there is no clear winner, says Jackson. Last season, judge Simon Cowell correctly predicted, before the Top 10 was even announced, that Carrie Underwood would win.

"We say it every single season, but this year it's really 100,000 percent true -- the talent is far better than any other season.

"I think this time it's going to come down to who grows the most during the competition in front of the American public because everybody is that good. I think it's going to come down to the wire at the end."

Jackson believes the success of last season's two finalists, country singer Underwood and rocker Bo Bice, broadened the pool of auditioners from its normal pop contestants.

He also feels CBS' series Rock Star: INXS helped make televised singing competitions somewhat cool, resulting in more rockers trying out this year.

"I think Rock Star was good ... just to show that there's everything in America. And the kid who won (Canada's J.D. Fortune) actually can really sing."

Being able to pick out talent is something Jackson knows a thing or two about. Outside his gig on American Idol, the music producer is constantly approached by young singers who think they have what it takes.

"It's so funny, no matter where I go, what I do, people are just singing to me. It's crazy. I think they think I want to just hear singing all the time.

"Even if I say, 'No, no, no. You don't have to sing,' they start singing anyway. I think in their minds it's, 'At least he heard me.' It's so weird."

The two-hour season premiere airs tomorrow on CTV and Fox at 9 p.m.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/2006/01/15/1395736.html

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2006, 08:34:39 AM »

‘Idol’ on the prize: Will Hub hopefuls survive Simon’s wrath on Fox’s hit talent show?
By Lauren Beckham Falcone
Monday, January 16, 2006 - Updated: 10:35 AM EST

Grab your clickers and find that volume button: Fox’s “American Idol” returns tomorrow at 8 p.m. on WFXT (Ch. 25).

The fifth season not only promises the good, the bad and the god-awful - remember William Hung? - but will also showcase Boston’s best and worst belters.

As you might recall, thousands of “Idol” hopefuls camped out in the rain for a massive cattle-call audition at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro last summer for their chance at fame. Sadly, only about 100 demonstrated the vocal chops to get the chance to croon for celebrity judges Randy Jackson, Paula Abdul and Simon Cowell in Boston in October.

Worse, the terrible trio wasn’t impressed with the Hub’s offerings.

“Honestly, not great,” Cowell said,regarding Boston talent at a press conference.

Still, some did make it to Hollywood, including Boston Herald pick Ayla Brown, 17, daughter of Rep. Scott Brown (R-Wrentham) - though we’re not supposed to know that because Fox executives slapped a gag order on Tinseltown-bound contestants. They also clammed up when asked when Boston’s auditions will air. (Word on the street: Chicago is featured tomorrow.)

Of course, can you blame them for being so edgy? After all, the show that brought us Kelly Clarkson, Clay Aiken and Carrie Underwood has been through its own drama in the past year.

First, the perky, petite Abdul was accused of having an affair with “Idol” castoff Corey Clark. (Fox later cleared her of the charges.) Then the always-so-cranky Cowell played coy during contract negotiations in the fall, before signing on for four more years.

Meanwhile, the only judge who stays out of the gossip pages is Jackson, so we’re just waiting for him to land in the “dawg” house.

The fifth season promises to be more of the same - host Ryan Seacrest is back, audiences can vote for their favorites, Cowell is sure to be nasty, Jackson will continue to butcher “all right” and Abdul will clap like a seal.  [continue]

Aside from Boston and Chicago, other audition cities include Denver, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Greensboro, N.C., and Austin, Texas, and footage will air through Feb. 7. Episodes featuring hopefuls who have advanced to the Hollywood round begin on Feb. 8.; a live Thursday results show begins Feb. 23 and the 12 finalists begin to compete on March 14.

http://theedge.bostonherald.com/tvNews/view.bg?articleid=121478&format=&page=2

AI Forum Moderator
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2006, 02:46:44 PM »

This is just a snip of the article (the entire article can be found at the link below the article) :

Nigel, will American Idol ever reveal the weekly vote totals?

I don’t think so. We do at the end of each of series, it is released, but not during the week. If you knew, for instance, that Clay Aiken was so far ahead every week, it would be a waste of time watching. You wouldn’t vote for anybody else because you would think, well, he’s never going to win; no one else is going to win. He is so far ahead of the game. And yet that didn’t happen on the finale for whatever reason. And I think a lot of that was to do with Kimberly Locke’s votes went to Rueben as well, when they couldn’t vote for Kimberly. But if you had known those results each week, you just wouldn’t have bothered voting. He was that far ahead, is what I’m trying to say.

Reality News Online

The best kind of friend is the one you could sit on a porch with, never saying a word, and walk away feeling like that was the best conversation you've had.
Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2006, 05:49:29 AM »

'American Idol' backers nervously wait in the wings

By David Lieberman, USA TODAY
Tue Jan 17, 8:58 AM ET

Sweat will pour from lots of brows tonight as American Idol begins its fifth season.

ADVERTISEMENT

We're talking about executives at the companies behind the hit talent show, not the new crop of singers vying for a chance to become a superstar. (Critic's Corner: Get out the earplugs.)

Several deals cut over the last few months dramatically raised the financial stakes for the businesses that make up American Idol Inc.

One of the most important is the commitment in November by Idol co-producers CKX and FremantleMedia, Fox Broadcasting, and acid-tongued judge Simon Cowell to keep the series going for at least four seasons starting with this one. Fox agreed to pay a license fee of $18 million for this year, growing to $35.5 million in 2009.

"Now that American Idol's longevity is guaranteed, we have been able to focus on long-term initiatives," says CKX chief Robert F.X. Sillerman.

The companies are eager to cash in on a TV show that attracted an average of 27.4 million viewers on Tuesday nights and 26 million on Wednesday nights from January to May last year.

But Sillerman made the biggest bet after plunking down more than $191 million last year for the British firm that controls the Idol franchise and gets the revenue from related recordings, tours and merchandise as well as the TV show. If Idol falters, it "would have a material adverse effect on our business," CKX said in a     Securities and Exchange Commission filing last week.

Sillerman's hoping his wager will pay off with revenue from a website, AmericanIdol.com, that the co-producers and Fox are launching. CKX and FremantleMedia plan to cash in from premium services, including video outtakes. Sillerman says the site will start sometime "over the next few weeks" and include "exciting ways for fans to participate."

CKX, which also licenses Elvis Presley, plans some corporate synergy. "Elvis will be making an appearance on this year's series," Sillerman says.

Meanwhile, Tribune Entertainment just picked up syndication rights to this season's shows - a gamble that viewers who already know the outcome still will watch reruns next September.

And Fox doubled up its bet last week by signing a five-year deal with Cowell and his company, Syco, to develop and produce other shows as well as material for the Internet and cellphones. Financial terms weren't disclosed.

While it's impossible to say how this year's TV show will do, Idol still appeals to music buyers. They've grabbed more than 2 million copies of the first album from last year's winner, Carrie Underwood, since its release in November. That CD, plus a new CD from runner-up Bo Bice and 2004 release Breakaway from first-season winner Kelly Clarkson, all were among the USA's 10 biggest sellers last week.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20060117/bs_usatoday/americanidolbackersnervouslywaitinthewings

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2006, 05:51:23 AM »

American Idol 5 Gives Us Crazy Dave Hoover!
January 18, 2006

American Idol 3 gave us William Hung.  American Idol 4 gave us Mary Roach.  Now, American Idol 5 gives us Crazy Dave.  From his spastic dance routines to his bare feet to his claims of being able to talk to the animals since he was sixteen, it was obvious right from the start that David Hoover was destined to join the list of memorable, unique American Idol contestants. 

David Hoover is 28 years old and from Wexford, Pennsylvania, and he bounded into the American Idol 5 auditions with William Hung level energy.  David sang an original song for the judges, complete with spastic dance moves and fluttering eyelids that looked like something out of an Exorcist movie.  At times, Crazy Dave’s voice actually sounded halfway bearable, and at other times his voice seemed to hit a high-pitched screech. 

After David’s audition, Randy Jackson professes to being on the fence, before saying “yes” after Dave agrees to talk to the animals for him.  A disbelieving Simon Cowell of course says “categorically no.”  The decision is in Paula Abdul’s hands, and she says “for my own reasons, yes.”  After Dave runs out of the room screaming that he’s going to Hollywood, Simon turns to Randy and Paula and asks “Are you completely insane?”

Crazy Dave succeeded where William Hung and Mary Roach failed.  He actually made it to Hollywood.  Common sense would say that he will be gone at the first round of cuts, but Ryan Seacrest gives some ominous foreshadowing by asking “What would happen to Dave in Hollywood week?”  Could it be that Crazy Dave actually turns out to be a good singer when he makes it to Hollywood?

Reality TV Magazine is your source for American Idol news.  For other great American Idol news, please also check out SirLinksALot: American Idol.

http://www.realitytvmagazine.com/blog/2006/01/american_idol_5_2.html

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2006, 06:11:19 AM »

January 17, 2006

Did American Idol Recycle The Tan Girl?

Over 10,000 people showed up in the rain in Chicago to audition for American Idol 5.  As usual, many of the more unusual contestants made it on camera.  There was the guy wearing a Statue of Liberty costume that the judges stopped and sent away before he finished singing his first verse.  There was the deputy who butchered “I Shot the Sheriff.”  There was the guy in Assyrian folklore clothes, singing a song that none of the judges could understand.  There was the girl with the overdone tan.  Then, there was the girl with the overdone tan again.  What?

Yes, the first time Crystal Parizanski showed up during the auditions, she was wearing a pink shirt, a black jacket, and contestant number 4358.  Simon Cowell asked her about her suntan, and she said that she didn’t think that was of main importance.  Simon replied “it’s the most strange look make-up tan I’ve ever seen in my life”.  Crystal then sang “And I’m Telling You” by Jennifer Holliday. 

After the song, Crystal’s mom came in, and Simon said “I wondered where she got her inspiration from, now I know.”  Simon also said “absolutely no” in regards to going through to Hollywood.  Crystal complained that she didn’t even get to finish the song, and Paula explained “we don’t usually let people finish a song.” 

At the end of the show, several clips are shown of contestants singing “Lady Marmalade.”  Some contestants are shown again, such as Stuart Benyamin, the guy in the Assyrian folklore clothes.  Crystal also shows up again, wearing the same black jacket and the same contestant number 4358, but she has on a different shirt.  While these could be clips of the contestants in earlier rounds of the audition, Crystal’s clip also includes comments from Simon, Paula, and Randy.  Simon Cowell tells Crystal “that was the worst we’ve had in Chicago.”

So did Crystal get to audition twice in front of Simon, Paula, and Randy?  Or did she sing multiple songs in front of the judges?  It would seem unlikely since her earlier exchange with Paula seemed to indicate that she didn’t even get to finish one song in front of the judges.  Was the end segment the result of splicing earlier audition footage with miscellaneous feedback from the judges? 

Reality TV Magazine is your source for American Idol news.  For other great American Idol news, please also check out SirLinksALot: American Idol.

http://www.realitytvmagazine.com/blog/2006/01/did_american_id.html

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2006, 06:39:17 AM »

Fox's 'American Idol 5' returns with more shrieks, slight tweaks

By Steve Rogers, 01/17/2006

The fifth season of Fox's American Idol juggernaut will premiere this evening, and while the new season won't feature any of the more significant "higher age limit" changes of season's past, American Idol's producers have once again slightly tweaked the top-rated show's smash-hit formula.

Unlike previous seasons, American Idol 5's initial "the good, the bad, and the ugly" open audition broadcasts will focus more on Idol judges Paula Abdul, Simon Cowell and Randy Jackson reactions to each good or bad singer. "This time, we left the cameras rolling on the judges after the person left the room," American Idol executive producer Nigel Lythgoe told reporters during a Friday conference call. The change means more screen time for Paula, Simon, and Randy -- and more footage of their squabbles. "At one point, Simon storms out of the room and can't take Randy and Paula anymore and leaves the audition," said Lythgoe.

Also changed in the new season will be the presence of celebrity judges -- in a move that pleased Idol's regular judges, the new season won't have any. Last season's American Idol 4 saw the show demote the celebrity judge concept to an early audition-only feature (with LL Cool J, Gene Simmons, Brandy, Kenny Loggins and Mark McGrath serving as some of last year's guest judges) however according to Lythgoe, the producers felt that even with their reduced role, the guest panelists were rarely candid enough. "It was a weird twist, and we just didn't need it," Jackson previously commented to reporters.

Like Jackson, Cowell -- a long-standing critic of the concept -- is also unlikely to shed many tears about the celebrity judges' departure. "I personally find it a bit insulting having celebrity judges on the show. To me, it's our role and nobody else's to judge these kids, because we've chosen them from the beginning," the recently re-signed sharp-tongued judge had vented to USA Today back during American Idol 2.

The new season will also feature a few other changes that American Idol's producers presumably didn't have as much control over -- namely the presence of more country music and hard rockers during the auditions (a side effect from having Carrie Underwood and Bo Bice as Idol 4's Final 2), and more early season attitude from the contestants.

"I've never heard kids blame other kids on stage to their faces before, and that has occurred this season," Lythgoe told reporters during his conference call. "I have never heard people quit on stage in front of everybody and give the judges a mouthful, and say 'I'm quitting the show because of what you have said or what you have done,' and that has occurred... I have never seen people willing to s*** on other people as much as this crowd."

"I have seen the most aggressive contestants we've ever had," Idol host Ryan Seacrest had previously noted to USA Today. "[They trash each other] in front of the judges and other contestants."

After tonight's special two-hour debut featuring coverage of the competition's San Francisco auditions, another one-hour broadcast -- covering Idol 5's Austin tryouts -- will air tomorrow night at 8PM ET/PT, followed by five more Tuesday and Wednesday broadcasts covering the show's fifth season tryouts in Boston, Chicago, Las Vegas, Denver and Greensboro.

Once the broadcasts of the regional tryouts are over, coverage of American Idol 5's Hollywood round will begin airing on Wednesday, February 8 at 8PM ET/PT. Thankfully, the Hollywood coverage will fill only three broadcasts, ending with the announcement of the show's Top 24 semifinalists -- twelve men and twelve women -- on Wednesday, February 15.

After the semi-finalists are announced, the show's weekly performance shows will start, resulting in the show adopting a thrice-weekly broadcast schedule similar to the Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday format used for last season's American Idol 4. The twelve male semi-finalists will perform on Tuesday, February 21, followed by the twelve female semi-finalists on Wednesday, February 22, after which an hour-long live results show broadcast on Thursday, February 23 at 8PM ET/PT will send the two male and female singers who received the fewest votes home.

The next two weeks will continue the same thrice-weekly format, ending with a live one-hour results show broadcast on Thursday, March 9 at 9PM ET/PT that will reveal the season's Top 12 finalists.

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/fox-american-idol-5-returns-with-more-shrieks-slight-tweaks-3908.php

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2006, 07:20:59 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PERSONALS: WHO'S WHO & WHAT'S UP

`Idol' finds Chicago lacking
Wannabes who tried out at Soldier Field bow on season premiere

Phillip Thompson, RedEye
Published January 18, 2006

"American Idol" was ready to put Chicago on center stage Tuesday night, but Chicago clearly wasn't ready for Simon Cowell.

The singing competition's most prominent face and resident king of cranky clearly wasn't impressed with what he found, and he let many locals know it during the premiere of the Fox show's fifth season.

More than 10,000 wannabe stars had endured long lines and longer waits at Soldier Field back in September for the chance to move to the next round in Hollywood or be dismissed by judges Cowell, Paula Abdul and Randy Jackson.

But local hopefuls Derek Dupree and Crystal Parizanski will be etched -- or perhaps scarred -- into the memories of a nation of viewers for the bizarre impression they left Tuesday.

Dupree, 25, came in full of bluster. "America. Listen to me. I am the next American Idol," the Chicago resident said.

His sweaty rendition of "Shout" and "Blue Moon" promised to show off a range of highs and lows but fell on judges' ears as a low.

"Everything about that was horrible," said Cowell, sighing.

Bring on Parizanski, who must hear that she looks like Paris Hilton on a daily basis. The 16-year-old Palatine resident sounded like Barbra Streisand with a cold and looked as if she mugged a raccoon for its makeup. Her vocals failed to impress, even when she launched into perhaps the loudest "Lady Marmalade" ever heard.

Dupree came out for a second attempt--which actually might have been worse than the first.

Dupree, fighting back tears, acknowledged in the video confessional, "Maybe I'm not the musical type I thought I was."

It wasn't all bad for Chicago. Gina Glocksen of Naperville blew away the panel with her rendition of Celine Dion's "The Power of Love."

Abdul and Jackson gave Glocksen a verbal pat on the back and sent her on to Hollywood.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/tv/chi-0601180069jan18,1,1911979.story

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2006, 05:15:49 AM »

Clarkson Relents, Lets 'Idol' Use Songs

Wed Jan 18,11:31 PM ET

Former "American Idol" winner Kelly Clarkson, subject to a scolding from Simon Cowell for not letting her songs be used by new contestants on the show, has agreed to do so, a spokesman said Wednesday.

Roger Widynowski, from Clarkson's Sony BMG record label, said Clarkson's management was negotiating with the show over which songs will be used.

A day earlier, he said Clarkson was not allowing any of her songs to be licensed for other purposes. He said on Wednesday that he had not been informed by her management that negotiations were under way, and that Clarkson would allow it on a "case-by-case basis."

That was also a day after "American Idol" judge Cowell sharply criticized her.

"I think that by ignoring the show you're ignoring the audience who put you there," Cowell said Tuesday.

Clarkson has become a major star in the past year, with her hit "Since U Been Gone" earning both massive sales and critical respect, particularly from a rock community that has looked upon "American Idol" contestants warily. Her album "Breakaway" earned a Grammy nomination for best pop vocal album.

"American Idol" must obtain permission from owners of song licenses before the music can be used on the show. While many love the exposure, some artists the Beatles, for one like to rigidly control use of their music.

Clarkson, in an interview with The Associated Press last year, said she knows she'll always be identified as an "American Idol," and she has no problems with that.

"That's where I got my start," she said. "They always talk about the big first thing that you did. I think the only thing that I do mind is I don't want people to only focus on that."

http://entertainment.tv.yahoo.com/entnews/ap/20060118/113765586000.html

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2006, 05:20:11 AM »

'American Idol' returns to record season debut

By Steve Gorman
Wed Jan 18, 6:48 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - More than 35 million people watched "American Idol" return to the Fox television network, the biggest audience yet for a season premiere of the hit talent show, Nielsen Media Research said on Wednesday.

The two-hour debut of Season 5 on Tuesday, featuring celebrity judge Simon Cowell viciously critiquing aspiring pop stars auditioning in Chicago, averaged 35.5 million viewers, according to preliminary figures.

Early episodes of the show focus on tryouts around the country to select semifinalists who come to Hollywood, where they compete in weekly elimination rounds for a shot at fame and a recording contract.

Cowell was at his brutal best on Tuesday, comparing one woman's voice to the sound of screeching cats and urging a male contestant to shave off his beard, put on a dress and become a female impersonator.

Except for ABC's telecast of the Rose Bowl college football championship earlier this month, which drew 35.6 million viewers, the return of "Idol" ranked as the most watched U.S. television program so far during the 2005-2006 season, Nielsen said.

In addition to surpassing the first four "Idol" premieres in total audience, the start of the fifth edition was the show's most highly rated season opener among viewers aged 18 to 49, the demographic most prized by advertisers.

The final episode of Season 2, in which     Ruben Studdard was crowned the winner over     Clay Aiken, holds the record as the most watched "American Idol" broadcast -- at 38.1 million viewers overall.

The show generally has gained momentum as each competition progresses and was the top-rated U.S. television series last year.

Aside from becoming Fox's most important property, it also has become an incubator for fresh talent in the recording industry.

All eight winners and runners-up from the first four editions of the show have been signed to either J Records, RCA Records or Arista Records under Sony BMG's RCA Music Group.

The first champion,     Kelly Clarkson, has gone on to earn a Grammy nomination and to sell nearly 7 million U.S. copies of her first two albums, "Thankful" and "Breakaway," according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Fox is a unit of News Corp. Ltd.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060118/tv_nm/leisure_idol_dc_3

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2006, 05:21:06 AM »

January 19, 2006

Will American Idol Become Bigger Than The Super Bowl?
Everyone knew that the fifth season premiere of American Idol would put up huge ratings number, but many seem surprised at exactly how huge.  According to Zap2it.com, American Idol 5 drove Fox to “a 19.3 rating/28 share in primetime.”  The premiere averaged more than 35 million viewers.

To put this in perspective, E! Online reports that the American Idol 5 premiere ratings represent “Fox’s best numbers for any program other than a Super Bowl.”  While American Idol might not be pulling in Super Bowl ratings yet, it is getting better ratings than the championship game(s) in other sports.  According to the Baseball Almanac, the 2005 World Series only averaged a 11.1 rating/19 share.  American Idol is more popular than the sport formerly known as America’s favorite past-time.   

Many explanations have been offered in attempts to explain American Idol’s enormous popularity, but the biggest reason American Idol succeeds is likely because it has become like a sport.  Just like football season, basketball season, or baseball season, American Idol season only rolls around once a year.  Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Just like a sports team, people like to get behind and cheer for contestants that represent their hometown.  Unlike, most professional sports where teams are usually limited to major cities, any town in America can produce an American Idol star.  Even a small town like Checotah, Oklahoma can have a franchise.  With the audience continuing to grow from American Idol, is it possible that one day it might even catch and surpass the Super Bowl?

http://www.realitytvmagazine.com/blog/2006/01/will_american_i.html

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2006, 05:54:39 AM »

Sigh, and so it starts....

'Idol' Twins Charged With Forgery, Theft

Thu Jan 19, 2:58 AM ET

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - They sang like angels for their audition on Tuesday's 'American Idol' premiere, but a pair of Memphis twins may sound more like jailbirds by the time the show goes live from Hollywood.

Terrell Brittenum, 28, has been in jail since Jan. 10 on an outstanding warrant for charges related to the illegal purchase of a car in Rockdale County, Ga., east of Atlanta.

He and his brother, Derrell, are accused of using another man's identity to buy a 2005 Dodge Magnum in June.

Derrell was expected to turn himself in on the same charges of forgery, theft by deception and financial identity fraud, The Commercial Appeal newspaper reported.

The brothers auditioned together in September for the hit TV show 'American Idol' and impressed the show's prickly judges to continue to the next round. Segments of the show have already been recorded and will air during the next few weeks.

Fox Broadcasting Co. refused to discuss the Brittenums or their status on the show.

The return of the show Tuesday drew its best-ever season premiere ratings with 35.5 million viewers. It was a 6 percent increase over last year's debut, according to preliminary Nielsen Media Research figures.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060119/ap_en_tv/idol_twins;_ylt=ApN9XymYIYqAiNn1oECo4u.s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3YXYwNDRrBHNlYwM3NjI-

AI Forum Moderator
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2006, 06:51:26 AM »

'Idol' Twins Charged With Forgery, Theft
...and away we go.

They sang like angels for their audition on Tuesday's 'American Idol' premiere, but a pair of Memphis twins may sound more like jailbirds by the time the show goes live from Hollywood.

Terrell Brittenum, 28, has been in jail since Jan. 10 on an outstanding warrant for charges related to the illegal purchase of a car in Rockdale County, Ga., east of Atlanta.

He and his brother, Derrell, are accused of using another man's identity to buy a 2005 Dodge Magnum in June.

Derrell was expected to turn himself in on the same charges of forgery, theft by deception and financial identity fraud, The Commercial Appeal newspaper reported.

The brothers auditioned together in September for the hit TV show 'American Idol' and impressed the show's prickly judges to continue to the next round. Segments of the show have already been recorded and will air during the next few weeks.

Fox Broadcasting Co. refused to discuss the Brittenums or their status on the show.

Yahoo

The best kind of friend is the one you could sit on a porch with, never saying a word, and walk away feeling like that was the best conversation you've had.
Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
clayistheway
Claymaniac

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2006, 01:21:59 PM »

So we all remember Clay's first audition right?

Do you know right from that moment that Clay was the one you were rooting for?

I did! People I used to work with still remember me coming to work talking about him the day after.

This thread will be for just that kind of speculation.

Is there a contestant you saw in the audition phase that you think should make it through to the top?

Discussions on this are welcome here!

Enjoy!

I don't remember her name.  Maybe someone can help me.  I don't even remember the song.  It was a 16 year old black girl - just the cutest thing.  Simon said she was the best 16 year old they had ever had.  Please help what was her name.

\"When was the last time you looked at a young person with a disability as someone who could help you as opposed to someone who needed help?\" -- Clay Aiken
The amazingly talented, sexy young man who is Clay Aiken!!!!!
mainer
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2006, 02:35:39 PM »

Sorry -- I've forgotten her name -- she was wonderful and very professional -- but there are others I like too.  Such a shame about Terrell and Derrell -- they could really sing.

I suspected Fantasia might win from day 1, AI2, she was so distinctive, although I reserved judgement until I heard more;  and I figured that Simon would see to it that Carrie won, from day 1, AI4, although again I chose to reserve judgement and she was, in fact, not my favorite -- although I do like good country music.  We missed out on AI1 (I mean what, we waste our time on some reality TV show???....).  So far Clay is the only one who we knew was our favorite from day one, and for whom our loyalty has never waivered -- although we also loved Ruben and KLo, and voted for all three until fairly late in the contest (my younger daughter and myself).  Last year was just great also -- with many faves in the top twelve -- all so good, just different -- Bo/Constantine being my #1s.
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2006, 04:37:21 AM »

clayistheway,

Her name is Lisa Tucker.

Here is a link to an article that may help us remember some of their names:
REALITYNEWSONLINE

I really liked her, too, but I think that her age will become an issue at some point.
I hope not, tho.  I just worry about the young ones handling the pressure.

Clay "is" the "News"
When Words Fail--Let Music Speak
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx