gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:34:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 236
Total: 236

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: American Idol 5 News & Information  (Read 40325 times)
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #140 on: April 13, 2006, 09:40:12 AM »

He's Not the Champion

On ''American Idol,'' Bucky can't wrangle enough votes to survive Queen night -- but we think another bottom-dweller deserved to go first by Michael Slezak

Buh-bye, Bucky. It was fun while it lasted (or at least it was unpretentious), but as EW.com TV Watch viewers have been pointing out for several weeks now, it wasn't like you ever had a chance of becoming the next American Idol. Funny thing is, though, most Idol fans (myself included) thought your adequate rendition this week of Queen's ''Fat Bottomed Girls'' should've been enough to buy you an additional seven days in the competition. Surely, every viewer with a minimum of 50 percent hearing capacity realized you outperformed ghastly Ace Young during Tuesday night's performance show, didn't they?

But then again, maybe that was the problem. Ace's rendition of ''We Will Rock You'' was so unconvincing (Enya herself could've rocked harder) that it surely motivated his tween-girl fanbase into a text-messaging frenzy. Idols-02! Idols-02! Idols-02! And breathe. Repeat.

Meanwhile, Bucky's comparably kind reviews from Paula and Randy may have lulled his supporters into a false sense of security. Or maybe the Southern-fried rocker simply didn't have enough supporters left. ''Bucky [has a] genuine smile. Unfortunately he's not star quality. He is the weakest link,'' wrote Missmargaretmary.

And as Trevenarj pointed out, likability can (or should) only get a singer so far in the competition. ''The fact that Bucky is still on this show demonstrates that most Americans don't have a clue when it comes to quality of singing,'' he contended.

Then again, seeing how Bucky and Ace comprised two-thirds of the bottom three, Idol viewers clearly have at least a modicum of good taste. Message-board dweller Justin, who's certainly not one to hold back in the critique department, claimed he'd rather ''listen to a dying coyote in a trash compactor'' than have to endure the sound of Ace covering Queen again. Alrighty then!

Dean, meanwhile, declared that Ace's performance ''flat-out stunk. It was really the only the bad performance of the night.'' Given EW.com readers' near-unanimous drubbing of the silky-tressed crooner (who'd majorly benefit from a buzz cut in this reviewer's humble opinion), perhaps he needs a new career path. Reader CindiMcD presented one suggestion that made me chuckle: ''Ace has a nice smile,'' she allowed, ''but that is where it ends. Perhaps he should do a Crest commercial.''

While host Ryan Seacrest never revealed which singer had the second-lowest number of votes, I'm hoping it was Ace. Otherwise, that means the dubious distinction belongs to his fellow bottom-three dweller, Elliott Yamin, whose rendition of ''Somebody to Love'' was, by most of your accounts, one of the best performances of Tuesday night. Still, many EW.com readers theorized that superficial voters might shun Elliott because he's not as traditionally good-looking as many pop stars. (That said, the guy looked downright dashing in his black-and-white pinstripe shirt tonight, no?)

One anonymous reader surmised that ''The only reason people are picking on Elliott's teeth is because there is nothing else to dog him on. He is the most talented, sweet, and humble person on the show. He doesn't scream like a sick lamb, nor is he a diva/divo. He entertains us every week and he deserves to win.''

I'm not gonna argue too hard with that opinion. In fact, I'll let another reader join the love-fest for the Rodney Dangerfield of season 5. How about you, Michele? Yes, go right ahead, you're on the air: ''Elliot has the most powerful, beautiful voice. I look forward to him every week. Could not believe he was in the bottom three last week! Maybe because he's not a gimmick like some of the others: 'the ditzy one,' 'the hot one,' 'the white Stevie Wonder,' 'the rocker.' How about 'the talented one' for Elliott!''

And for those of you not feeling the love for DJ E-Double, listen to the sage advice of a reader named Lauren: ''I, too, am beginning to put Elliott on top of my list. I like closing my eyes and listening to him as I would listen to the radio. He has been in my top three favorites all along.''

Okay, okay, I'll end the shameless shilling on behalf of Mr. Yamin. Just please promise me he won't be eliminated before Ace, and maybe the vocally underwhelming Kellie Pickler, either, okay? As Jonna noted, ''If this is a singing competition, Ace, Bucky and Kellie are the least talented singers left. Even if you do not like the looks of the remaining contestants, they are all very talented singers. All one of them needs is a breakout performance.''

Who do you think is poised to rise to the top next week when Rod Stewart helps the seven remaining singers navigate the American songbook? Who do you think will be most at risk? And finally, have you already chosen your personal Idol for this season, or could a few fantastic or subpar performances still sway you in another direction?

[/url]http://www.ew.com/ew/article/commentary/0,6115,1183246_3_0_,00.html[/url]

AI Forum Moderator
Yup, I think about Clay probably about as often as men think about sex.
"Half my butt is mac & cheese and the other half is Krispy Kreme..." Clay Aiken
Carpe Clayum-Seize the Clay
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #141 on: April 18, 2006, 10:03:58 AM »

Fox's 'American Idol' juggernaut rolls on
Updated 4/18/2006 9:22 AM ET

By Gary Levin, USA TODAY
American Idol isn't just TV's top series. It's a competition-chewing monster.
Up 14% in this fifth season, its most-watched yet, Idol is so big — and has such broad appeal — that rival shows are reduced to competing for crumbs.

ABC comedies According to Jim and Hope & Faith have earned their lowest numbers yet opposite Idol's warblers. NBC's Winter Olympics fell far behind, often by a 2-to-1 ratio, while Biggest Loser was, well, a loser and Joey's return lasted all of a week. Even Lost is down about 20% since Idol's results show began airing against it in late February.

Yet as big as it is — and Idol is averaging more than 30 million viewers this season — only one in four potential viewers tune in.

Put another way, "almost three-fourths of viewers watching TV Tuesday at 8 are not watching Idol," says ABC scheduling chief Jeff Bader. "There must be something that can successfully compete against it; it's just that no one has found it yet."

Idol does have its weak spots, relatively speaking: Teenage boys are far less devoted than girls. And the show is least dominant among older adults, which explains why CBS' NCIS and Criminal Minds have fared better against it: Last Tuesday, NCIS claimed 18% of viewers 50 and older, a close second to Idol's 21% share.

"There's a true drama fan that is not going to be enticed by reality shows," says CBS research chief David Poltrack, who chalks up NCIS' military muscle to its older audience profile, which makes it "invulnerable to the impact of Idol," whereas Lost's younger, family audience overlaps with the singing show.

Still, it's mostly a losing battle, says Sam Armando, TV research director at media buyer Starcom, who compares Idol to the unstoppable heyday of NBC's ER in the mid-1990s: "We never saw what the networks considered their best programming against it," he says.

"That's what's been the trend here," as rival networks are "sticking with what they have, knowing it's going to get killed vs. trying something new," Armando says. And moving a hit show against it is simply "too much of a risk" until the Idol train slows, Armando says. "A lot of people thought this would be the year the show would start to decline, but the opposite happened."

That has helped Fox climb to a close second for the season among young adults: As of last week, the network trailed ABC by just 130,000.

And there's more to come: By the time a winner is crowned on May 24, Fox will have aired 45 hours of Idol this season — the most yet — a figure that's up from 381/2 hours last year.

Posted 4/17/2006 10:08 PM ET 

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2006-04-17-idol-proof-tv_x.htm?csp=34

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #142 on: April 18, 2006, 10:05:37 AM »

An ‘American Idol’ guest

By Elizabeth Kenny
news1@seacoastonline.com

PORTSMOUTH - Former "American Idol" contestant Ayla Brown can sing and shoot hoops, but can she throw a baseball?
All will be revealed on Saturday, when the nearly 6-foot-tall 17-year-old returns to the Seacoast, where she has vacationed since childhood, to sing the national anthem and throw one of the first pitches during the Portsmouth Little League opening ceremony.

Brown, who will be attending Boston College in the fall on a basketball scholarship, has agreed to attend the opening ceremony at 9 a.m. on Saturday, according to Jeannie Courrier, vice president of the Portsmouth Little League.

"It’s great to have her come here and have the public, who have been reading all about her, have an opportunity to come and meet her," Courrier said.

Brown, who has family living on the Seacoast, was the sixth of 12 young women to be eliminated from the search of the 2006 "American Idol." Courrier said Seacoast residents spent many hours in front of the television watching the show and rooting for the "celebrity with local ties."

Brown lives in Wrentham, Mass., but her aunt Lee Ann Riley of Portsmouth contacted her recently to ask if she would sing to those in Portsmouth who supported her, Courrier said.

"She was open to this," Courrier said, adding that Brown also agreed to stay and sign autographs after her performance.

Kathie Lynch, president of the Portsmouth Little League, said the league always makes an effort to have a talented singer perform at the opening ceremonies, but Brown is "beyond shadow of a doubt, probably the most well-known by the American public."

The ceremony will also include recognition of the 12-year-olds in the league who will play their last year, Lynch said. Portsmouth Mayor Steve Marchand will also attend the ceremony to throw out the first pitch.

The league, made up of 17 teams with 12 players on each team, will honor a volunteer who has been an great asset over the years, Lynch said.

"And then we say ‘Play ball.’"

MEET AYLA

Ayla Brown, former 2006 "American Idol" contestant, will be singing the national anthem at the Portsmouth Little League opening ceremony on Saturday. She is expected to sing just after 9 a.m. and will remain at Leary Field for about an hour to sign autographs.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/04182006/news/98255.htm

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #143 on: April 18, 2006, 10:06:57 AM »

April 18, 2006
Are American Idol Themes Unfair To Female Singers

For the third time this season, the American Idol 5 finalists will have to select a song from a male singer of group.  The next theme requires the remaining Idols to select a song from Rod Stewart, and previous themes have required selecting songs from Stevie Wonder and QUEEN. 
There have been three theme weeks not tied to a specific singer: Music from the Fifties, Songs of the 21st Century, and Country.  Even though Kenny Rogers appeared as part of Country week and Barry Manilow appeared as part of Music of the Fifties week, the Idol finalists were not required to select one of their songs.

Is it that there are no female singers with a large enough song catalog for American Idol?  Is it just a bizarre coincidence that American Idol producers have had more luck pulling in male singers or groups for their theme weeks this year? 

One theory that has been circulating around the Internet is that American Idol producers are very intent on tipping the scales to make sure a male contestant wins American Idol this year.  Three of the previous four American Idol contestants have been female, so producers could be looking to try to even things out a little. 

http://www.realitytvmagazine.com/blog/2006/04/are_american_id_1.html

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #144 on: April 18, 2006, 10:10:43 AM »

30 seconds on `Idol' goes for $1.3 million

Posted April 18 2006

A 30-second ad on Fox's "American Idol" finale next month will cost $1.3 million, AdAge.com reported Monday.

And in addition to millions of dollars in advertisements, the season-ender could woo even more than the 29.4 million viewers that saw last season's finish.

But even at the top price, "Idol" ad prices fall below the $2 million charged for the 2004 "Friends" finale, AdAge said.

Other hot shows for ads next month include the season finales of "Desperate Housewives" and "Grey's Anatomy."

As for which two singers will take the stage in the "Idol" finale, the latest odds at online gaming site Pinnacle Sports have Chris Daughtry as the favorite followed by Taylor Hicks, according to E! Online.

Meanwhile, MSNBC reports that Queen guitarist Brian May, who appeared with other band members on "American Idol" last week, says the show distorted his comments to "Idol" wannabe Ace Young.

"It was edited in such a way that it looked as if I was purely negative," May said in an April 12 posting on his blog.

The guitarist had nothing but praise for Young, who performed Queen's stadium classic "We Will Rock You" in front of the band members.

----------

The Personals page was compiled by Emily Rosenbaum and Cristi Kempf from Tribune news services and staff reports.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/local/chi-0604180235apr18,0,6210874.story?track=rss

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #145 on: May 01, 2006, 09:43:39 AM »

Posted on Sat, Apr. 29, 20

After 'Idol' departure, Kellie Pickler's 'ready to roll'By DANIEL FIENBERG
Zap2it.com
A hopeful mantra runs through Kellie Pickler's conversation with reporters the day after her "American Idol" elimination - If this is as bad as I got it, I got it good.

For three months, the 19-year-old from Albemarle, N.C., has heard the whispers from naysayers who muttered that she couldn't possibly be so ditzy, she couldn't truly be so innocent.

"People are going to believe what they want to believe," Pickler said. "But you know, I've started out from the beginning just being who I am. I've been real from the beginning, honest with my life and who I am. I don't have anything to hide. I don't have anything to lie about."

And you wanna know the funny thing? She sounds entirely genuine. She seems just as truthful and candid when she discusses her final two performances, weeks in which she was quick to admit that she hadn't been at her best. She scoffs at the idea that she was just posturing, trying to use pity for votes.

"Well, 30 million, 40 million are watching, and they see your performance," she noted. "They see that you've messed up, and the judges know that, and I knew that I did. And what was I going to do? Lie, and say, 'Oh, I didn't mess up' and blame it on things? I think that when you're just honest about it that it's better rather than to try to make excuses for why you didn't have a good performance. I messed up the words in some of them. I've messed up the songs, and I've been off-key and pitchy, and you just admit it."

She added, "I was not surprised at all last night because, to tell you the truth, I thought I was going home last week, but the fans voted and kept me in for another week. I deserved to get the boot this week because I had two bad performances back-to-back. There's no excuse."

Pickler knows that while her honesty made her a fan favorite this season, it also rubbed some people the wrong way, viewers who thought her personal stories - an absent mother and a father in prison - were another plea for sympathy.

"Going into this competition I was never really completely open about the different life obstacles that I've had to overcome because I was so embarrassed about it," Pickler began. "I got a lot of criticism for crying about my dad and my mom and my family in the beginning, but it was really hard for me because I've not, it's not like I was used to getting on national television in front of 40 million people talking about my life."

Rarely has a contestant used "American Idol" as a vehicle for personal therapy, but it sounds as if even in elimination, Pickler is in a better place now.

"I'm not ashamed of my life anymore. For so long, I felt like I was looked down upon because of my family. I don't feel that way anymore. I've very proud to say I'm Kellie Pickler. I'm very proud to say where I've come from."

With the rest of her life about to begin, it sounds like Pickler doesn't know where to start.

"I hope that I will be able to pursue music, as well as TV and film - anything that life throws me, I want to take advantage of every opportunity that I'm given," she said. "So, I feel like I'm young. I have no strings attached anywhere. I'm ready to roll."

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/dailynews/living/14458394.htm?source=rss&channel=dailynews_living

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #146 on: May 05, 2006, 05:34:10 PM »

'American Idol' parade in Albemarle
City will welcome home Kellie Pickler
MARK WASHBURN
TV/Radio Writer

Albemarle will welcome home its "American Idol," Kellie Pickler, with a parade Saturday.

Pickler, 19, will return after a publicity tour in New York.

Paul Schadt, morning host on WKKT-FM ("Kat" 96.9) will serve as emcee for a post-parade ceremony where Pickler will sing the national anthem from a stage at Second and Main streets.

Mayor Elbert "Whit" Whitley Jr. will present her a key to her hometown and a gift will be presented from Sonic, the restaurant Pickler worked at for three years before getting aboard "American Idol."

The parade, scheduled for 11 a.m., will go down North First Street, West South Street, and Second Street to Main. The ceremony is expected to begin about 11:20 a.m., and Pickler will sign autographs for an hour afterward at the Colonnade in Courthouse Square Park. Authorities are expecting at least 8,000 people to turn out, said Vicki Coggins of the Albemarle Downtown Development Corp.

Albemarle is about 40 miles east of Charlotte, out N.C. 24/27.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Washburn: (704) 358-5007; mwashburn@charlotteobserver.com

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/entertainment/special_packages/american_idol/14505217.htm

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #147 on: May 05, 2006, 05:37:50 PM »

Yamin Next to Leave American Idol

NEW YORK – (PRESS RELEASE) -- The young Paris Bennett belted out Prince's "Kiss" and Mary J. Blige's "Be Without You" on Tuesday, but the performances weren't enough to keep her on American Idol. Bettors at Sportsbook.com, the world's largest online sportsbook and casino, weren't behind Paris either and if betting trends are any indication, then Elliot Yamin will be the next to go, with only 4.6 per cent of wagers backing the 27 year old from Richmond, Virginia.

Elliot chose to perform Michael Buble's "Home", which features the refrain: "I want to go home" - not a good choice of lyrics according to sharp tongued judge Simon Cowell. At 10-1, Yamin is a long shot to win the competition but tops the charts on who will get voted off next week at 1-3. The bettors' favorite at Sportsbook.com remains unchanged, Chris Daughtry is a 10-13 bet and 24.9 per cent of bettors are backing him.

"Everybody bets on Reality TV, it's the Super Bowl of television!" said Alex Czajkowski, Marketing Director, Sportsbook.com. "The live show and interactive nature of American Idol make it a bettor's favorite and we'll continue to offer odds on all the latest reality hits."

[/url]http://www.rgtonline.com/Article.cfm?ArticleId=64705&CategoryName=Online%20Gaming[/url]

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #148 on: May 05, 2006, 05:39:01 PM »

Rooting for Elliott? Tell us your plans for next Tuesday's 'American Idol'
Richmond.com
Friday, May 05, 2006
Richmond's gone Elliott-crazy, and we want to know how you're celebrating. This Tuesday will play a cruical role in determining our favorite 'American Idol' contestant's primetime television staying power, so tell us where and when you'll be gathering to show your support for the goateed crooner.

Whether it's a Yaminion fest at a local bar, a speed-dialing party at a restaurant or a meditative meeting to send good karma Elliott's way, let us know your plans for next Tuesday's Elvis-themed 'American Idol.'

http://www.richmond.com/ae/output.aspx?from=rss&feed=localheadlines&article_id=4240385

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #149 on: May 05, 2006, 05:41:48 PM »

May 04, 2006

American Idol Finalist Paris Bennett Says She Wouldn’t Change Her Speaking Voice

During the American Idol auditions, several celebrity magazines and major newspapers went crazy for Paris Bennett.  People Magazine called her an “early favorite,” and the New York Post called her a “probable winner.”  When recently questioned by reporters if her early status as a favorite could have worked against her, Paris replied “No, not at all.  I think that people made their judgments and all, and I think that they chose wisely, and they decided each and every one of the contestants’ fate.  But when it all comes down to it, I was already, in my mind, it was already planned that my journey was going to end somewhere.” 

Paris Bennett might not have won American Idol, but she surely proved that she was worthy of that early praise.  As Paris told reporters, “I’m in the top five.  I can’t really complain.  Out of 150,000 people, look at where I made it to.  I’m just so grateful to have had this opportunity to share my gift and just give my all, and give 100% every night, time after time, to just prove to you guys that I wasn’t doing it just for the goal to have the title of an American Idol, but to show you guys that I love, and this is my passion, to be a singer and an entertainer as well.  To myself, I’ve already gotten the title of an American Idol because I’m a role model to more than just little kids but even to adults and people my age, and so I’ve earned my title, and it was just my time to go.”

Paris Bennett also showed no shortage of the confident attitude she often displayed on the show.  After being asked how she will feel when someone else claims the American Idol crown later this month, Paris replied “I’ll be very, very happy for that person.  He’ll have, he or she, will have my love and support.  And honestly, I’ll just be by their side and working on my own thing in hopes that me, him or her, will meet each other at the Grammy’s, and we’ll still be friends, and we’ll be the same place.”

While controversy is often a huge part of American Idol, Paris remained relatively controversy free during the show.  Paris explained to reporters, “I’m not a person to start up things.  If anyone can tell you about me, if you ever hear about me at the show, I am the lovable one.  Everyone always says I always have a passive way of doing things.  I always just have to be the squeaky clean one, but I’ll let you know when you’re out of place, but I just don’t stir up things.”

Even though Paris might have escaped major controversy, she did provide one of the most memorable moments ever on an American Idol elimination show, when she asked a surprised Ryan Seacrest to hold her gum while she sang.  Paris walked reporters through the moment, “Ryan held his hand out, and I said, Ryan, you want to hold this for me, and he said, what?  I took it out.  He, I think he already knew that I always keep gum at the top of my mouth.  I just gave it to him.”

No interview with Paris Bennett would be complete without addressing her unique speaking voice.  When asked if she wished her speaking voice was a little more mature, Paris replied  “I sure don’t.  I think that’s what makes me unique, and that’s what makes me different from a lot of the contestants that I was with and just people in general.  This is what I was blessed with.  When I was born, this is what I came out to have, and I wouldn’t change anything that was created on me.  I appreciate my voice in every aspect, so I definitely wouldn’t change it.”

Reality TV Magazine is your source for American Idol news.  For other great American Idol news, please also check out

http://www.realitytvmagazine.com/blog/2006/05/american_idol_f.html

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #150 on: May 05, 2006, 05:43:27 PM »

Fox to make individual 'American Idol' performances available for sale

UPI News Service, 05/03/2006

Fans of Fox TV's "American Idol" talent competition will soon be able to purchase digital downloads for their computers and MP3 players.

Fox will make individual performances available for downloads immediately after the May 9 episode, Daily Variety reports.

Videos will cost $1.99 while audio downloads will be priced at 99 cents.
Only six episodes remain before the "American Idol" is crowned.

realitytvworld

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #151 on: May 05, 2006, 05:52:35 PM »

Greenville, SC
American Idol Fashions
May 4, 2006 07:53 AM PDT

It takes more than talent these days to make it to the top.  No one knows that better than this season's American Idols.  You might even say that some contestants probably look better than they sound.  While we may not be able to hit those notes, we can dress like them and if you're closet is lacking, there's always Plato's Closet in Greenville.

Leah Hall who works at Plato's Closet says, "They definitely come in all the time saying...I saw so and so..definitely all the time."

Take Paris' outfit from Tuesday night's show, shiny capris with a cute blazer.  We found a similar look for a fraction of the cost.  Hall says, "Capris like this are really in...plus they're comfortable too."

And who could forget Katharine's look?  A sparkly top with jeans, we found a similar top for just twelve dollars.  Let's not forget about the guys.  Chris's bad boy look can easily be imitated too.  Hall says, "Just a shirt ...with a blazer over the top of it."

As for Taylor's retro look, we found that too.  Unless you have a voice like Taylor though, you may want to leave this one at the back of the closet. 

For information on how you can buy the exact outfit Idol contestants are wearing visit the web site: http://www.americanidol.com

http://www.fox21.com/Global/story.asp?S=4857465

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #152 on: May 05, 2006, 05:54:12 PM »

Posted on Wed, May. 03, 2006

‘Idol‘ judges focus on song choice more than song performance
By RODNEY HO
Cox News Service
Why have the likes of Carrie Underwood and Fantasia won “American Idol”?

The obvious reasons are vocal talent and personality. But “Idol” judges this season, even more than in the past, have cited song choice in explaining why they liked or especially disliked a performance.

Consider last Tuesday, which was typical:

“That song was completely the wrong choice for you,” judge Randy Jackson told Taylor Hicks after he sang James Ingram's “Just Once.” “It was like weird karaoke.”

“Wasn't the right song,” Jackson told Kellie Pickler following her take on the Righteous Brothers' “Unchained Melody.” She was then ousted by voters.

“You sing a Whitney song, you have to be as good. You are not,” Simon Cowell said last week to Katharine McPhee after she tackled Whitney Houston's torch song “I Have Nothing.” (To confuse matters, he apologized the next day for being too harsh.)

Many “Idol” observers say this year's crop is packed with so much talent and personality that judges are using song choice as a default critique rather than analyzing technique or style.

“I was just arguing about this last week,” said Jerry Friday, former board chairman for the Miss Atlanta Pageant and a friend of Season 1 finalist Tamyra Gray. “At this point, you need to give the contestants constructive criticism, and harping on song choice isn't constructive. It's lazy.”

Kinnik Sky, the Columbia native who was eliminated after three semifinal rounds this season, said she went out of her way to pick diverse songs because she has a broad taste. Her choices included Oleta Adams' R&B ballad “Get Here” and Gretchen Wilson's country hoedown “Here for the Party.”

“There's no surefire formula or method” for picking songs, Sky said. “And you can’t beat yourself up afterwards.”

Before she flew to Hollywood, Sky said “Idol” asked her for six songs she'd like to sing. Of the six, only three were cleared. She, for instance, wanted to sing Toni Braxton's “Love Shoulda Brought You Home,” but it wasn't available.

http://www.sunherald.com/mld/thestate/living/14482211.htm?source=rss&channel=thestate_living

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #153 on: May 07, 2006, 07:47:11 AM »

Posted on Sat, May. 06, 2006

American Idol | Predictability leads to a Big Three showdown
By NEIL WHITE
ntwhite@thestate.com
Here’s the surprising thing about the fifth season of “American Idol.” There are no surprises.

A show that built its reputation in previous seasons on its unpredictability has become very predictable.

Who didn’t know that Paris Bennett, the 17-year-old from Georgia, would be headed home this week? It was her turn.

Next up: Elliott Yamin.

Book it.

This contest has headed all season toward a showdown between the Big Three: Chris Daughtry, Katharine McPhee, and Taylor Hicks. And now these clearcut favorites — of both the fans and the judges — are one week away from the climactic faceoff.

That is, of course, if there are no surprises next week when it’s Elliott’s turn to leave. At least that’s our very predictable prediction.

Paris was doomed by her version of Prince’s “Kiss.” (Contestants sang two songs — one from the year of their birth and one from any Billboard chart's current top 10 — in Tuesday night's program.) For both the judges and The State’s Idol Watchers bloggers — with the exception of blogger Kandice Garcia — Paris came up short of the others.

Here’s some of what our bloggers had to say:

Rhonda Hunsinger: “I tried several different introductions to this blog, but finally realized that there is only one conclusion to draw tonight: Katharine, Chris, Elliott and Taylor are our top four and all is right with the world.”

Kandice Garcia: “Well, a psychic I am not. Crushed that neither of my picks for ‘American Idol’ will make it to the end, I am. We said goodnight to Paris tonight. I've had my moment of silence and a few tears were shed, but I'm OK, America. The show must go on. Is Elliott next??? I will pray all this week that it isn't so, but I'm afraid I may have seen a little foreshadowing in the order which their medley was sung tonight. I am disappointed. Very disappointed, but I am a true fan of this show and will never stop watching. I'll end by saying Chris and Kat performed well tonight. I'm holding my breath till next week.”

Leslie Smith: “No post after the performance show Tuesday night. I took my 15-year-old daughter and a friend to see Fall Out Boy, All American Rejects and Hawthorne Heights in Charlotte. It was a late night. I'm feeling really old, and I think ‘American Idol’ is much more my style. Highlight of the night was Taylor singing and dancing to ‘Play That Funky Music’ because he is the ultimate white boy. Loved him dying at the end, too. I also loved Katharine's ‘Black Horse and the Cherry Tree.’ Kind of weird doing it on her knees, but it worked. I didn't know the songs that Chris chose to perform, but let me tell you, after seeing the bands last night, this is the type of music that the kids today are into. He is probably the most marketable of the bunch.”

Lorien Owens: “Paris is the first to be sent to the stage, where she sings ‘Kiss’ again. Now, I think Paris is a good singer. BUT, I also am a Prince fan, and I think that he's a very difficult artist to cover. He's got this crazy-sexy-kewl vibe that is totally unique, and anyone trying to pull it off ends up looking, well, like Paris did last night — a combination between a step aerobics instructor and Donna Summer (in the casino-boat concert stage of her career) ... Elliott joins Paris on the stage, and sings ‘On Broadway’ again. There have to be better songs from 1978. The results! To no one's surprise, Paris is the one to go.”

Sarah Jaynes: “Well, there isn’t really much to say. The person who everyone called to go home got voted off tonight. Elliott and Paris were in the bottom two, and Paris obviously was sent home. We were talking about her in French class today, and my teacher pointed out that her singing the Mary J. Blige song was a really bad song choice. I didn't see where he was going with that, and he said that it was pretty much an ‘adult song’ (ha ha, his words) and it just didn't fit her. Paris is what, 16, 17? She should have sung younger songs, and put her own twist on them.”

ABERDEEN NEWS

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #154 on: May 07, 2006, 07:55:29 AM »

American Idol: Elvis Presley Theme Week and Taylor Hicks - OPINION
May 06, 2006
Jewels Richardson

Behind the Elvis Theme Week on American Idol one only has to look for a man named Robert F.X. Sillerman. He's a Wall Street operator and sort of a 'Donald Trump' of the media business. A little background: he sold a group of radio stations to Westinghouse (now Viacom) in 1989 for $389 million. Less than a decade later he sold more stations to Hicks Muse for $2.1 billion. He had dealings with Clear Channel in 2000 when he sold a company that owned concert venues for a reported $3 billion. A real wheeler dealer.

Sillerman's latest publicly traded corporation is titled CKX. The CK stands for "content is king," while the 'x' is a reference to one of his middle initials. It's unknown what they stand for but I'm leaning towards 'effects' abbreviated, you know, like seen on the cable FX station, or on an SUV made by Infinity Motors. It is his little secret. Sillerman made a business deal with Lisa Marie Presley in 2004, then moved to buy the smash-hit TV show American Idol and other properties from a company called 19 Entertainment (19E), which was previously owned by British pop mogul Simon Fuller. So you can see where this is leading. Regarding the business arrangements brokered with Lisa Marie Presley, what the man owns is Elvis Presley Enterprises. EPE generates $40 million in annual revenue from Graceland tours, onsite retailing, licensing, an apartment complex, and the much promoted Heartbreak Hotel. American Idol, Bob Sillerman, and 19E create a tangled but understandable money making thread, therefore we have American Idol able to throw an Elvis Presley Theme week and Sillerman able to promote his EPE ventures. Win-win for Sillerman and Elvis Presley entertainment from the final four contestants remaining on Idol.

Taylor Hicks and his compatriots will visit Graceland where they will have a tour accompanied by Priscilla Presley. To prepare for the competition this week, insight and guidance will be provided by Tommy Mattola. (I haven't figured that one out yet). I've been reading about the fortunate A.I. fans able to commute or that live in the vicinity, staking out Graceland with the hope of seeing their favorites. Ah, yes, I can just picture myself hanging on the music themed wrought iron entry gates of Graceland... Screaming like a giddy fangirlly freak, "Taylor! Taylor! Tay...!"

Snapping back to a semblance of reality, and back to topic, the overwhelming challenge the contestants will face under this theme is the dreaded 'Karaoke' label. This should pose a real test of their individual artistic abilities. (I'm not just talking about taking an Elvis song like "Burning Love" and giving it the "Creed" alt-rock treatment to 'make it their own,' ala the "Live" turn of "Walk the Line," performed by Daughtry.) Definitely a challenging genre, creating lots of speculation and excitement for this crazily popular talent show.

It's a given that Taylor Hicks will have the highest hurdle to jump this week to avoid the dreaded "K" label. Hicks is proving he is not a stupid man, I am confident The Soulman will carefully consider all options. Overall, Taylor has been demonstrating that he is a winner, a champion performer with a heart for success. Like Secretariat, Taylor Hicks "knows how to run a great race", he hasn't won all the Idol races so far, but the ones he has had the other contestants 20 lengths behind, blinded by flying sand. On-line, Hicks has the largest confirmed fanbase and is all ready demonstrating his growing international appeal. The man has true star power evidenced by his performances of "Taking it to the Streets", "Living for the City", "Trouble," and the brilliant combination of "Play That Funky Music White Boy," by Wild Cherry teamed with George Harrison's "Something." No doubt, I am biased.

It may be inevitable that no matter what Taylor Hicks performs, a certain ascerbic judge may have already penned the dreaded "K" label on his index card. Conversely, when considering some of the 'master-minds' behind the Idol scenes such as the obviously brilliant Bob Sillerman, Hicks should be garnering the recognition, internally, within the monied fraternization needed to promote and develop his career.

My advice to Taylor Hicks, "Lay it all on the stage, baby, and don't look back!"

Groove on Soulman!

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2006/05/06/175824.php

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #155 on: May 22, 2006, 02:12:13 PM »

bizjournals.com
KFC to offer American Idol runner-up recording contract
Monday May 22, 3:36 pm ET

Whichever finalist doesn't make it to the top on "American Idol" will at least get one contract offer: a $10,000 recording deal from KFC Corp. to write and star in an upcoming commercial for the new KFC Famous Bowls.
In addition to the $10,000, the runner-up also will receive a year's supply of the product, which has layers of mashed potatoes, corn and bite-sized chicken, topped with gravy and cheese.

The runner-up will have until June 7 to accept KFC's offer.

KFC is owned by Louisville-based Yum Brands Inc. (NYSE: YUM - News), which operates about 34,000 restaurants in more than 100 countries and territories.

Published May 22, 2006 by Business First

For the record those mashed potato bowls are WICKED GOOD!!!!

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/060522/1292159.html?.v=1

AI Forum Moderator
woodstock854
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

"I need help!!!"

« Reply #156 on: May 22, 2006, 03:01:54 PM »

WOW!!!  Good to see KFC getting involved!!!!   

I'm afraid I would LOVE those bowls too much..... Laughing
Woodstock

"There's something about the way I can't take my eyes off you...  There's something about the way your lips invite..."
Julie, jj, Liz, Carol and Janet are our Guardian Angels
"My faith has conquered fear, on my way here."
OCD Support Group Founder
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #157 on: June 29, 2006, 11:32:47 AM »

MTV Photo Gallery for above article.
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #158 on: July 05, 2006, 09:12:52 AM »

Ayla Brown, from AI5, sings the national anthem from the Boston Independence Day celebration, which also featured Aerosmith.

CBS Boston
HavinaClayAffair
Enthusiastic

« Reply #159 on: July 05, 2006, 12:47:51 PM »

WOW Pamlea! Thanks for the Ayla video! I even flipped to watch part of that show but missed her!

I thought she did rather well...and YES! I was voting for her on AI5 and was ticked with Simon about the Natasha Beddingfield song- I thought Ayla sounded great...

Nener nener! TTHHHPPPPTTT! to Simon!

Lora
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx