gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:36:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 448
Total: 448

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: American Idol 5 News & Information  (Read 40331 times)
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #120 on: March 28, 2006, 10:01:45 AM »

Is 'Idol' Kellie Pickler Deviously Ditzy or Just Plain Dumb?
Tuesday, March 28, 2006
By Farrah Weinstein

LOS ANGELES — America has fallen - hook, line and Pickler. The line: A former cheerleader who works as a roller-skating waitress at the carhop drive-in chain Sonic in a small town called Albermarle, N.C., tries out for "American Idol." She nails the audition.

The hook: Her mom left her at the age of 2, and her father is locked up in a state penitentiary for felony battery and aggravated assault.

The Pickler: She's as cute as a button.

"American Idol" contender Kellie Pickler has a Trailer Park-tastic story right out of a country song, and she's as wide-eyed and gullible as Dorothy in Oz. And one of the reasons America is still tuning in to the show in droves is to hear her singing - and her bon mots.

But is Kellie Pickler really as stupid as she seems? Or is "Miss Stanley County" pulling our pickle?

So far, she's admitted to never having eaten calamari, pronounces salmon "SAL-mon" and thought a minx was a coat.

Last week, upon being called "ballsy," she asked, "What's a ballsy?"

The 19-year-old pixie is always spewing out one-liners like, "My hair is caught in my [fake] eyelashes," or "I had my first spinach salad. It was OK. Kinda tasted like picking the leaf off a bush," and "The dogs here [in L.A.] have more clothes than I do."

She claims to "burp like a man," an uncouth trait reminiscent of Jessica Simpson, and winks at Simon Cowell while performing.

Not everyone is falling for it. In an article entitled "American Idol: Kellie Pickler, evil genius?" on palmbeachpost.com, writer Leslie Gray Streeter writes:

"I think she's laying on that 'I ain't never been nowhere and don't know nothing but I'm as shiny as a shrimp in grits to be here and swim in your see-ment pond' thing a little thick. And I ain't buying it."

Pictures allegedly showing Pickler in a tube top and body-baring prom dress have also circulated on the Web. Writer Dave McGurgan of phillyburbs.com wonders: Is Pickler really "just an insanely naive hillbilly," or "is she a trampy teenager with a sexy past?"

"I think a lot of people are debating whether Kellie is authentic or putting on an act," says Jim Fraenkel, executive producer of MTV News.

"There are people who are quite taken by her, and others who are more suspicious. I wouldn't necessarily say that she's so savvy she's tapped into the idea that America loves a stupid girl, so much as that she may think of herself as Jessica Simpson was."

The raspy-voiced singer, who so far sang Kelly Clarkson's "Since U Been Gone," Stevie Wonder's "Blame It on the Sun," and the Patsy Cline classic "Walkin' After Midnight," is also the subject of an online US Weekly poll: "Is 'American Idol''s Kellie Pickler playing dumb?" Sixty percent have voted yes.

One thing's for sure. At this pace, she might outstupid - or outsmart - Jessica "Chicken from the Sea" Simpson and Paris "What's Wal-Mart?" Hilton on her way to grabbing the "American Idol" crown.

And whether it's an act or they're really that dumb, being stupid may be the smartest move these girls ever made.

"There is a lot of humor in it," says Fraenkel. "We've sort of seen the death of the sitcom in the last five to six years. And, in fact, Americans are watching reality shows like they used to watch sitcoms. I think that's why stupid plays well."

In pop star Pink's new video "Stupid Girls," she re-creates shallow scenes that have shaped pop culture in the past few years, from Paris Hilton's sex video to Lindsay Lohan's paparazzi car accidents to Mary-Kate Olsen's obsessive shopping sprees.

"None of these girls are stupid," Pink points out in an Entertainment Weekly article. "They've dumbed themselves down to be cute. I just feel like one image is being force-fed down people's throats. There's a lot of smart women. There's a lot of smart girls. Who's representing them?"

When asked who is representing them, MTV's Fraenkel was in a bit of , well ... a pickle.

"Alicia Keys would probably be someone who epitomizes the intelligent young female," he said. "Look, Madonna is still No. 1 on 'TRL,' though I don't think in this day and age she's doing a lot of preaching with a message of empowerment. Pink is attempting to. Oprah? I don't know. Seriously, that's a tough one."

For more news, entertainment and sports coverage, click here for NYPost.com.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,189331,00.html

AI Forum Moderator
Yup, I think about Clay probably about as often as men think about sex.
"Half my butt is mac & cheese and the other half is Krispy Kreme..." Clay Aiken
Carpe Clayum-Seize the Clay
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #121 on: March 28, 2006, 10:03:37 AM »

March 26, 2006

Paris Bennett expects to be the next 'American Idol'
By Edith C. Webster
Rockford (Ill.) Register Star

American Idol contestant Paris Bennett has a singing voice that is mature beyond her years, polished beyond her church choir training and that she feels is good enough to take her to the finals of the nation's hottest competition, American Idol.

Her speaking voice, on the other hand, sounds young, even for a 5-foot-tall, 17-year-old girl.

She accepts her Betty Boop voice, like the success she's gained on Fox's hit reality show, as a blessing.

A Rockford, Ill., native who now lives in Fayetteville, Ga., Bennett has been all the rage among the American Idol judges, entertainment critics and fans.

Stevie Wonder praised Paris Bennett's passion, and American Idol judges raved about her performance on March 14 on the hit reality show.

If Wonder's reaction to Bennett's voice is any indication, she should easily make the cut.

"It reminds me of the excitement of Fantasia," said Wonder in a pre-performance clip, comparing Bennett to Idol's 2004 winner.

Winning ensures a recording contract and fame, but no matter what happens next, with more than 30 million people watching every episode, Bennett already is a star.

In a recent phone interview from Los Angeles, she told the Register Star how she feels about her unusual voice, the advice show biz performers in her family gave her, and why she hasn't considered losing.

Q: Did you ever get teased because of your speaking voice?

A: No, I never got teased for how I talk. That's what makes me unique. I'm little, and it goes with my height. My voice is a gift ... It's just like you see a candy bar, and you open up the package, and it doesn't look like the outside. The chocolate bar has peanuts and everything inside, but you don't see that on the outside.

Q: Why did you enter American Idol?

A: Yeah, my mom and my grandmother are in the music business, but this is something I wanted to do for myself and make my own name, so people could see that you don't always have to take the easy road. I like to be more competitive.

Q: You looked so genuinely surprised when they told you that you were advancing to the finals. Do you remember how you felt?

A: It's not every day that people get chosen to be in the top 24 when hundreds of thousands try out. It's a big blessing. I was very happy, very happy.

Q: Your mother (recording artist Jamecia Bennett) was there with you that night. What was her reaction?

A: Everything you saw on TV, that was reality - crying, that was her first instinct, but they weren't tears of sadness.

Q: Your mother and your grandmother (Grammy Award-winning artist Ann Nesby) are both performers. Have they given you any advice, or are they just letting you do your own thing?

A: Just to stay humble and just to be me ... just to keep God first, stay humble and have fun.

Q: On publicity for her album, Relationships Between God and Man, your mother speaks very openly about how difficult it was for her when she was pregnant with you. Does she ever talk to you about that?

A: Oh, yeah. My mom and I are just 16 years apart, so I've had my questions: Why so young? She's not afraid to talk about it, which is why I give her the most respect. Some parents are like it was a great idea, then you think it's the right thing to do. For me now, it makes me look at things on a lot more positive note, like, yes, people make mistakes, but look at where she is now. Now, she can look at me, and I don't have kids. If I did, I would tell her the same thing: Face up to the responsibility you have.

Q: Have you thought about what's next if you don't win American Idol?

A: I don't really have that thought in my head. My thought and my prayers are that this is my year, this is my season. I am the next American Idol. I don't really have negative thoughts.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060326/ENT11/603260322/1023

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #122 on: March 28, 2006, 10:05:13 AM »

'Idol' buzz all about Daughtry

March 27, 2006

What will "American Idol" do this week about Chris Daughtry?

"Idol" chat rooms were buzzing during the weekend about a controversy surrounding Daughtry's version of Johnny Cash's "I Walk the Line," The Associated Press reports.

Judges praised Daughtry for making the song his own when he sang it on last week's episode. But some fans say the version was not his own, but ripped off from a version done by the band Live in 2001.

One fan posted a message saying, "I just want to punch him in his bald head."

Another message read, "This guy is a rip-off. Judges are plain dumb."

However, there has been speculation among fans, according to MTV News, that Daughtry may have given a shout-out to the band during his pre-show interview but that the mention got edited out.

After all, on the March 14 episode that had each contestant offering up a Stevie Wonder tune, Daughtry sang "Higher Ground," which had been covered by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. And Daughtry didn't hide the fact that he was leaning more toward the Chili Peppers' version, prominently crediting the band during his pre-performance montage.

"I think it's more a sign of the judges being out of touch or the show's producers deliberately trying to fool the public," said Jacob Clifton, who covers "Idol" for TelevisionWithoutPity.com. "The fact is, Chris should not be blamed for using the arrangements that he does."

The real question, though, is whether the issue will be mentioned on tomorrow's show. Will host Ryan Seacrest ask Daughtry about the chat-room buzz or will Daughtry mention it during his preshow interview?

Kimberly Caldwell, a second-season finalist and host of TV Guide Channel's "Idol Tonight," sided with Daughtry, as well. "We're doing cover songs, so leave it alone," she said.

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/tv/ny-etlive0327,0,4042580.story?track=rss

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #123 on: March 28, 2006, 10:08:36 AM »

Stewart gives Idol advice Monday March 27, 11:30 AM

Veteran rocker Rod Stewart will give wannabe singers advice in an upcoming episode of hit TV show American Idol.

Following in the footsteps of recent Idol guests Stevie Wonder and Barry Manilow, the Maggie May star will perform on the popular talent show, after the contestants perform hits from his Great American Songbook albums.

Judge Simon Cowell enthuses, "All these people are going to link the theme of their album to the show."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/27032006/364/stewart-gives-idol-advice.html

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #124 on: March 29, 2006, 10:56:52 AM »

March 28, 2006

More American Idol Phone Number Madness, Wrong Number For Mandisa

American Idol now has it’s first official phone number screw-up for Season Five.  During Mandisa’s performance of  “Wanna Praise You,”  something went wrong with the graphics on the bottom of the screen.  The graphics first displayed the correct name and phone number for Mandisa, but without the familiar blue background.  The background changed from yellow to red, and when the background finally got to blue, it was showing the wrong name and phone number.  The blue graphics showed Taylor Hick’s name and phone number while Mandisa was singing.

Taylor Hick’s name and phone number only displayed under Mandisa for a couple seconds, before it switched back to Mandisa’s name and phone number, once again missing the blue background.  Then, the graphics disappeared completely, only to reappear a couple seconds later with the correct name, phone number and the familiar blue color.  It was almost as if American Idol was sending a subliminal message to vote for Taylor Hicks during Mandisa’s performance.

The phone numbers displayed for Mandisa while she was on stage with Ryan Seacrest and at the end of the show were correct.  Will this error lead to another American Idol re-vote?  There is no telling.  Producers might conclude that since the incorrect number only appeared for a couple seconds that no re-vote is warranted.  However, if Mandisa winds up being the contestant with the lowest vote total and gets eliminated, then there will surely be a huge outcry.

http://www.realitytvmagazine.com/blog/2006/03/more_american_i.html

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #125 on: March 29, 2006, 10:58:44 AM »

March 28, 2006

American Idol Songs Of The 21st Century Fail To Impress Judges

Since the American Idol performance show is now only an hour instead of two hours, Ryan Seacrest wastes no time in getting straight to the performances.  The theme of the night is “Songs of the 21st Century.”  Lisa Tucker sings “Because Of You.”  Randy Jackson says “It really wasn’t that good.”  Paula Abdul says “When you take a song that’s so popular, especially from a girl who started and got her whole career going from this show, you’ve got to take a twist on the song and make it completely different so that there’s no comparison whatsoever.”  Simon Cowell says “The truth is Lisa is that the song was too big for your voice.” 

Kellie Picker sings “Suds in the Bucket.”  Randy Jackson says “This song wasn’t exciting enough for your voice.”  Paula Abdul says “You’re way better than that song choice.”  Simon Cowell says “The reality is that you’ve got six years of songs to choose from and you choose a song called Soap Suds in a Bucket.” 

Ace Young sings “Drops of Jupiter.”  Randy Jackson says “Once again completely the wrong song for you and you didn’t sing it well.”  Paul Abdul says “To me, it wasn’t my favorite.”  Paula also notices Ace’s scar.  Simon Cowell says “That wasn’t a great vocal.”  Ace reveals that the secret behind his scar is that he was playing basketball and he landed on a t-bar.

Taylor Hicks sings “Trouble.”  Taylor explains to Seacrest that Soul Patrol is a legion of fans who have been with him from the beginning.  Randy Jackson says “It was alright.  It wasn’t the best for me for you.”  Paula Abdul says “It was nice to see you just stand behind the mic and just sing a song.”  Simon Cowell says “I quite like the song, I thought it was an excellent vocal.”  However, Simon complains that his styling is “very Clay Aiken.” 

Mandisa Hundley sings “Wanna Praise You.”  Randy Jackson says “I don’t know.  I don’t quite get it.”  Paula Abdul says “There’s a new religion and 40 million people have now joined the church of Mandisa.”  Simon Cowell says “I thought it was a bit indulgent if I’m being honest with you.  I just didn’t get that.”     

Seacrest attempts to address the Chris Daughtry “I Walk The Line” controversy.  Seacrest asks Chris if he did Live’s version.  Daughtry says “That was Live.  Yes, that’s one of my favorite bands.”  However, no mention is made of if Chris had revealed that last week and if it just didn’t make it on air.  Chris Daughtry sings “What If.”  Randy Jackson says “I think you were sharp most of that song, it wasn’t your best vocal tonight.”  Paula Abdul says “I’m one of your biggest fans.”  Simon Cowell says “There is a line you don’t cross.  Ok, Creed would not be seen dead on this show.  The show is American Idol.” 

Katharine McPhee sings “The Voice Within.”  Randy Jackson says “It was good, but you didn’t bring anything new to it.”  Paula Abdul says “Katharine, I wouldn’t have changed a thing.”  Simon Cowell says “I think it was the best tonight, and it was almost, almost as good as Christina.” 

Bucky Covington sings “Real Good Man.”  Randy Jackson says “I like that better, man.”  Paula Abdul says “Be careful of your diction so we can hear everything you’re saying.”  Simon Cowell says “If this was a paid concert, this is the point I would leave.”

Paris Bennett sings “Work It Out.”  Randy Jackson says “That to me was the best performance of the night so far.”  Paula Abdul says “I’m sorry but you said that you wanted to be a kid tonight, those weren’t kid moves.”  Simon Cowell says “I thought it was precocious.”   

Elliott Yamin sings “I Don’t Want To Be.”  Randy Jackson says “America, this boy can sing.”  Paula Abdul says “You are one funky white boy.”  Simon Cowell says “Great song, terrible arrangement, good vocal, and the dancing was hideous.” 

It’s tough to say who will be going home from tonight’s show.  Past results would indicate that Ace Young, Lisa Tucker, and Bucky Covington had the most to prove tonight.  The judges were harsh on Ace, but in our opinion, it was one of his best performances, and he was far from the worst tonight.  Our prediction is that Bucky Covington, Mandisa, and Lisa Tucker will wind up in the bottom three, and Lisa Tucker will be going home, because she had a lackluster performance in the dreaded opening spot.

http://www.realitytvmagazine.com/blog/2006/03/american_idol_s_1.html

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #126 on: March 29, 2006, 11:03:33 AM »

Ya'll remember Mario from last year???

FOXNEWS.COM HOME > FOXLIFE 
'Idol' Dropout Mario Vazquez's Single Debuts 
Wednesday, March 29, 2006
By Don Kaplan

LOS ANGELES — The answer to the trivia question, whatever happened to Mario, the dropout from "American Idol," has an answer. Mario Vazquez — who, even in the early stages of last season's edition of "Idol," was considered a favorite to win — has his first single coming out this week.

Mario mysteriously quit the megahit show last spring after making it into the finals, but swore it wouldn't be the last anyone heard from him.

Turns out, he may be right.

His new single, "Gallery," produced by Clive Davis' J Records was shipped to radio stations this week, in two versions — one in English and another in Spanish.

"I don't want to give too much away, but lyrically it's just longing love, lost love, wanting love," Bronx-born Mario told MTV.com.

His still-untitled album is currently in production but will not hit stores until at least the end of the summer, according to industry sources.

J Records, which has typically only signed the winners and runners-up of the Fox talent show, locked up Vazquez last August after months of speculation about why Vazquez left "Idol."

At the time he stunned everyone, including his mother, when he abruptly left the show for "personal reasons" after making it into the final 12.

He is the only contestant in all five seasons of the show so far to make it nearly to the end and then quit.

Shortly after his departure, rumors began to surface that the then-28-year-old had been approached by hip-hop impresario Sean "Diddy" Combs with a deal to appear on his label, Bad Boy Records.

In interviews last year, Combs declined to comment, but it was understood that Vazquez had become a hot property when his commitment to "Idol" expired after last May's season finale.

"Basically, it comes down to my intuition," Vazquez told E! at the time. "It wasn't time for me to do this now. There were certain aspects of my life that I needed to take care of first."

Late last summer, Davis unexpectedly announced his deal with the young singer.

Davis has called Vazquez "a multitalented, young, American-born, Hispanic singer with the voice and charisma that we've been trying to find for a long time."

For more news, entertainment and sports coverage, click here for NYPost.com.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,189480,00.html

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #127 on: March 29, 2006, 11:04:54 AM »

Idol Controversy Doesn’t Hurt Numbers

By Rebecca Stropoli -- Broadcasting & Cable, 3/29/2006 12:35:00 PM

The controversy surrounding Fox’s American Idol featuring singers who aren’t amateurs does not seem to be having much of an effect its ratings. As always, Idol crushed everything in its path on Tuesday night, according to Nielsen Fast Affiliate numbers (live plus same day). The show scored a 12.9 rating/32 share in the key 18-49 demo from 8-9.

That strong lead-in helped Fox’s House leave its competition in the dust from 9-10; it earned an 8.8/21 (second in the time slot was CBS’ The Unit, with a 4.5/11). Fox won for the night with a 10.8/26.

CBS was a distant second for the night with a 3.7/9. The Unit was its highest-rated show.

Third for the evening was NBC with a 3.5/9. The series premiere of sitcom Teachers came in third in the 9:30-10 time slot with a 3.3/8. It was only down a bit from its Scrubs lead-in (3.5/8).

ABC came in fourth with a 2.3/6. New sitcom Sons & Daughters continues to get disappointing numbers; it averaged a 1.9/5 for its back-to-back episodes from 9-10.

The WB was fifth for the night with a 1.0/2 with a lineup of reruns (two Gilmore Girls episodes) and UPN was sixth with an 0.8/2 for its rerun slate (Next Top Model and Veronica Mars).

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6320080.html?display=Breaking+News

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #128 on: March 29, 2006, 11:06:26 AM »

If you're interested!

'AMERICAN IDOL' CASUALTIES TELL THEIR STORY: The now infamous Brittenum Twins set the record straight in a two part story.

http://www.eurweb.com/story/eur25587.cfm

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #129 on: March 29, 2006, 11:07:41 AM »

Posted on Wed, Mar. 29, 2006email thisprint this
IDOL WATCH
'Idol' tackles 21st century -- and it's ugly
Songs from this century sent American Idol singers into a tailspin.
HOWARD COHEN
hcohen@MiamiHerald.com

American Idol proved one thing Tuesday night: Either they aren't writing songs of value anymore or today's pop artists are better at delivering them than thought.

The show's theme was Songs of the 21st Century and ostensibly the idea is to showcase who among the 10 finalists sounds contemporary and competitive enough to warrant a recording contract.

In reality, precious few of them if Tuesday night's show is what their recordings will be like.

How bad was it, the comedian asks? It was so bad resident dim bulb Ace Young resorted to showing off a scar on his chest mid-song to send prepubescent hearts a-flutterin' (and phones a-dialin' to register votes) in a vocally abysmal Drops of Jupiter. He may be pretty, girls, but pop over to any restaurant and the dude bringing you your Diet Coke and bread is just as handsome and could probably carry a tune with more distinction.

The show was so dreadful it prompted the return of Grandma Pat, our favorite American Idol fan who enlivened this column last year with her post-show telephone calls and lively commentaries.

''What a disaster the whole show was!'' she cried.

Agreed. It must have done something screwy to judge Simon Cowell's ears because he found the off-key over-singing of Katharine McPhee, ''almost as good as Christina Aguilera.'' Katharine, whose mother is her vocal coach, says she picked The Voice Within because ''you have to trust your own voice.'' Not this voice this night. She shouldn't trust her mother either.

Even the good singers were hamstrung by the theme. The generally reliable Mandisa was blaring off-key on a gospel number by Mary Mary. Elliott Yamin tortured Gavin DeGraw's I Don't Wanna Be, made worse by his inept dancing and the comparison to Bo Bice's definitive cover version last season.

But how about Bucky Covington, usually the worst, but such a lovable guy? I thought he was entertaining -- if in his comfort zone -- on Tim McGraw's Real Good Man. Felt like the show's most natural performance. Grandma Pat pronounced it ``karaoke.''

Paris Bennett outsinging Beyoncé on Work It Out? Fun enough. Grandma Pat sniffed.

Chris Daughtry unfairly was made out to be a criminal on message boards last week for covering Live's arrangement of a Johnny Cash song.

He was convincing doing Creed this week but we all agree this rocker needs to reveal another side.

This leaves Taylor Hicks who was soulful on Ray LaMontagne's Trouble.

Unfortunately Lisa Tucker, attempting a Kelly Clarkson song, will earn the fewest votes despite outshining some of the others and will leave us tonight. She knows it, too. You could see it in her face.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/miamiherald/entertainment/14209835.htm?source=rss&channel=miamiherald_entertainment

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #130 on: March 29, 2006, 11:11:09 AM »

'Idol' Finalists Spill Song-Selection Secrets; Bo Bice Offers Advice
03.29.2006 6:00 AM EST

Choosing the wrong song to perform can sink a contestant's chances.

"American Idol" has never been just a singing competition, with personality and performance style carrying just as much weight since Kelly Clarkson took the first title in 2002. But as the contestants have gotten better and the competition
"Don't just take a list of songs you're given. Do your research. Find things that move you, find things that really speak from your heart." — Bo Bice
 stiffer, the number of vital factors has grown.

There's style and song arrangement, both overseen by professionals hired by the show. Some have argued the importance of camera time, which is, of course, out of a contestant's control. And there's song selection, the one true strategic element in the "Idol" race.

All you have to do is watch an episode and count how many times you hear the words "I didn't like that song for you," or "Perfect song" or "That was a big risk with your song choice" to see how much it has played a part in the fifth season.

Or just ask last season's runner-up, Bo Bice. "That's the most important part of 'Idol,' " he said.

Contestants have lived or died by their song picks since the semifinals this season, and what should make things interesting is that many of the finalists have different approaches to choosing songs.

"I try to pick songs that are my favorite songs that I listen to, like that Fuel song has been one of my favorite songs ever since it came out," said Chris Daughtry, referencing his rendition of "Hemorrhage (In My Hands)" in the second week of semifinals.
"I try to go with songs that I already know, even though they could be cliché to sing on the show," Katharine McPhee added. "I wanted to sing this other song a couple of weeks ago, and I chose to do [something new instead] and it didn't come out as well. You just have to go with what you know that you can do the best, what you love, what feels good and what represents you."

Familiarity may be key to some, but others are more about finding lyrics they can relate to at the moment, which could be part of a song that's entirely new to the performer.

"If I can't tie to it emotionally, I'm not going to do it," Ace Young said. "That is my key. If I can feel it and I can portray it, than you can feel it with me. Entertainment is my stress relief, so it should be your release watching."

It's also not always an option to go with something familiar when contestants get into the theme weeks.

"When that happens I say just pick one that speaks to you," Bucky Covington said. "Pick one that runs through your bones, one that makes you move. That's how I try to pick them."

In the finals, once the contestants learn the genre for the coming week, the show's producers actually do get them started by sharing several possibilities.

"For instance, when we did the '50s, we gave them a CD of '50s songs. We actually gave them Barry Manilow's '50s album and then a whole pile of other songs that we could clear, 'cause obviously we have to get music licenses," co-executive producer Nigel Lythgoe said. "And then they choose their own song. And they'll sing it a couple of times and go, 'I don't know if this is right,' or 'Yeah, I love it.' "

Contestants also have the option of choosing a different song within the theme, which is what helped Bo through last year's competition.

"Don't just take a list of songs you're given," he advised. "Do your research. Find things that move you, find things that really speak from your heart, things that don't just encompass your voice, but they encompass your spirit and your soul and what you stand for and are about."

The risk in finding something else is that producers still have to clear it — and if they can't, the contestant better have a backup prepared.

"American Idol" has deals with the two major publishing companies, ASCAP and BMI, but that's only part of clearing a song to be performed on the show.

"If we wanted to, say, clear a song by the Eagles, we would have to ask the publisher, the person who holds the rights, the songwriter and each one of the Eagles," Lythgoe said. "And if one of them says no, we can't sing the song."

According to Vincent Candilora, senior vice president of licensing at ASCAP, there are five different rights in the copyright of a song and "Idol" needs two of them to use it on the show: the performance right, which ASCAP and BMI handle, and the synchronization right, which "you need to get when you sync a musical composition with any type of visual: motion picture, video, etc.," he said. "That's handled directly by the musical publishers."

"The publishers are pretty up for this because it's good exposure for their song," added Phillip R. Graham, senior vice president of writer/publisher relations at BMI. "If it becomes the winner's song, they get a lot of performances out of it, and it's good for them."

Still, several artists have never cleared their songs for "Idol," both legends (the Beatles, for one) and newcomers.

"A lot of people that have written the songs just say, 'No, I don't want you to sing my song, ' " Lythgoe said. "People just don't want their songs sung by good singers."

But current songs aren't that popular among the contestants anyway. The judges might suggest them, especially for younger singers like Paris Bennett, but semifinalists Ayla Brown, Kinnik Sky and Heather Cox are proof that it's not always the best idea. They were voted out after singing Natasha Bedingfield, Alicia Keys and Mariah Carey songs, respectively.

"You've got the propensity to be compared to the current artist, so you have to be careful with that," explained Mandisa, who has stuck with the classics.

"I'm young, but the songs that I grew up to aren't the songs that are out now," Bennett said in her defense. "I am a big Gladys Knight fan and a big Tina Turner, Roberta Flack fan. I'm an old spirit."

Kellie Pickler, who has been praised for her song choices in recent weeks, has a simple strategy — and one that seems to be working.

"You just have to pick a song that showcases your vocal range and your talent and just hope that America likes it," she said.

Get "Idol"-ized on MTV News' "American Idol" page, where you'll find all the latest news, interviews and opinions.

— Corey Moss, with additional reporting by Chris Murphey and Jeff Cornell

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #131 on: March 29, 2006, 11:13:09 AM »

Posted on Tue, Mar. 28, 2006

Judges tough on Idol's N.C. trio
MARK WASHBURN
TV/Radio Writer

N.C.'s three candidates in Fox's "American Idol" earned varying measures of criticism in performing songs of the 21st century in Tuesday night's show.

Kellie Pickler, 19, of Albemarle was ripped by all three judges for her choice of "Suds In a Bucket," a white-knight country fantasy recorded by Sara Evans in 2002.

Though she was overpowered at times by the backup singers and band, and her powerful pitch in evidence only once, the judges focused on her song choice.

"It didn't show enough of you for me," said Randy Jackson.

"You're way better than that song choice," said Paula Abdul. "It didn't show your range, it didn't show your personality."

Simon Cowell was more blunt.

"You've got six years of songs to choose from and you chose a song called `Soap Suds In a Bucket.' Oh, come on. There are thousands and thousands of songs to choose from and you choose some gimmicky rodeo lassoing whatever nonsense song."

Chris Daughtry, 26, of McLeansville, stalked the stage with the microphone stand and barked out an aggressive, hard rock version of "What If," recorded by Creed in 2000.

"You were sharp most of that song," Jackson said.

Abdul liked it. "I'm one of your biggest fans," she told him.

Cowell said the song was too raw for the show and suggested that Daughtry aim for more mainstream numbers. "There is a line you do not cross. Creed would not be found dead on this show. It is `American Idol.' You have to show another side of yourself."

His long blond hair tucked inside a black cowboy hat, Bucky Covington, 28, of Rockingham went back to country, performing "Real Good Man," recorded in 2002 by Tim McGraw.

"Dog, this is definitely the right kind of song for you," said Jackson, applauding his return to country music. "You're definitely back at home in your country suit."

Abdul said it was good, but cautioned Covington to be more careful of his diction.

"I couldn't understand a single word you said," said Cowell, in rare agreement with Abdul, then said he found the performance ho-hum. "That's what I call winging it."

Elliott Yamin, 27, of Richmond, Va., got applause from all three judges performing "I Don't Want to Be," recorded in 2003 by Gavin DeGraw.

Jackson: "America, this boy can sing!"

Abdul: "You are one funky white boy. Unbelievable."

Cowell: "Great song, terrible arrangement, good vocal and the dancing was hideous."

Paris Bennett, 17, of Fayetteville, Ga., said she chose "Work It Out," a 2003 number by Beyonce Knowles, so she could enjoy a teenage number and show some dance moves.

"Those were kid moves?" asked Abdul afterward.

"Fearless, that was the bomb," said Jackson.

But it fell short to Cowell. "I thought it was precocious," said Cowell. "It's like a little girl pretending to be Beyonce. Whoopee."

Mandisa, 29, a music student at Fisk University in Nashville, Tenn., belted out "Wanna Praise You," a high-powered gospel number from 2000.

Abdul was a believer. "Forty million people have just joined the church of Mandisa," she said.

"I thought it was a bit indulgent," said Cowell. "I didn't get it. Not for me."

Judges agreed that Katharine McPhee, 21, of Sherman Oaks, Calif., sang Christina Aguilera's "The Voice Within" like she did. They just disagreed on whether that was a good thing.

To Jackson, it was too much like the 2004 original. Abdul agreed, but said she liked it and thought Aguilera would have too.

Cowell said it was the best performance he'd seen so far that night. "Almost, almost as good as Christina," he said.

Lisa Tucker, 16, of Anaheim, Calif., who has finished in the bottom three two weeks in a row, sang "Because of You," Kelly Clarkson's 2005 song. "Just OK," said Jackson. "Painful" said Cowell.

Ace Young, 25, of Los Angeles got poor reviews for his rendition of Train's 2001 song "Drops of Jupiter."

"Completely the wrong song for you and you didn't sing it well," said Jackson.

"I thought it was quite karaoke," said Cowell.

Taylor Hicks, 29, of Birmingham, Ala., came out with a new haircut and appeared to have shed some weight. He sang Ray LaMontagne's 2004 song "Trouble."

The judges liked it but his new look attracted more attention. "Styling is very Clay Aiken," said Cowell.

One contestant will be booted off the show tonight after votes are tallied. Grammy winner Shakira will is scheduled to perform her new single, the Latin-inflected "Hips Don't Lie," with Wyclef Jean on the show (9 p.m., Channel 18).

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/charlotte/entertainment/special_packages/american_idol/14208942.htm?source=rss&channel=charlotte_entertainment

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #132 on: March 29, 2006, 11:14:59 AM »

American All-Dull

Though the songs in this week's ''American Idol'' were new, most of the contestants turned in boring, cheesy, or just plain bad performances by Michael Slezak

After last week's superlative American Idol, I know it was greedy of me to hope for an equally entertaining follow-up, but even without the burden of comparisons, tonight's ''Songs of the 21st Century'' episode was a colossal disappointment. In fact, I'd say it was pretty much everything I'd hoped it wouldn't be. Potential rock-god Chris Daughtry slumming it with a Creed cover? Check. Fashions ripped straight from a Kajagoogoo video? Check. The rampant use of contestants' fingers to remind viewers of their toll-free phone numbers? Well, sadly, you can count on that every damn week. But still, with arguably the deepest talent pool in Idol history, how come a tight 60-minute episode felt interminable?

Well, you can start by blaming Ace Young, Bucky Covington, and Lisa Tucker, who might want to consider forming some kind of atonal New Age act known as the Bottom Three. Now admittedly, I've never been an Ace fan, but is there anyone left in America who still sees this guy as a potential Idol after his rendition of Train's ''Drops of Jupiter''? Why didn't he just microwave a giant vat of Velveeta and hurl it into the cameras, because boyfriend definitely brought the cheese! Forget the middling vocal performance — what really pained me was the way Ace opened his shirt mid-performance to show his ''sexy'' scar, the way he gently stroked his overstyled locks while mewling the words ''in her hair,'' the pathetic way he used two hands to encourage fans to dial ''IDOLS-03.'' (Dude, even my four-year-old niece can do it one-handed.) Still, I think Ace deserves safe passage into next week, if only because he inspires such flagrant fawning from judge Paula Abdul. Despite her increased lucidity levels tonight (granted, anything had to be an improvement on last week), she still couldn't resist purring to Ace, in reference to his old wound, ''One day, you'll have to explain to me how you got that one.''

Bucky and Lisa, on the other hand, will most likely and most deservedly be this week's two lowest vote getters on account of their being utterly forgettable. In fact, when I sat down to write tonight's column (some 15 minutes after Idol ended), I had to check my notes to remember what song Bucky decimated this week. (For the record, it was Tim McGraw's ''Real Good Man.'') But can you really criticize me, what with the way this season's poster boy for karaoke swallowed every note in his lower register?

Would that the same could be said about Lisa, whose every off-key note came through my TV set with painful clarity. Granted, it takes a certain level of audacity (or cluelessness, maybe) to attempt a number by the original American Idol winner, but with her soulless, pageant-level abuse of Kelly Clarkson's ''Because of You,'' Lisa, possibly weighed down by seven pounds of turquoise eye shadow, staggered into the territory of former Idol scourges such as Janay Castine, Camille Velasco, and Jim Verraros.

The fact that there are three clearly outclassed singers remaining in the competition is great news for Chris Daughtry, Kellie Pickler, and Katharine McPhee, all of whom gave the kind of subpar performances that have been known to put front-runners in temporary jeopardy. (Lest we forget, eventual Idol winners Fantasia and Ruben both did time in the bottom three.)

I know a lot of Chris's detractors have complained that he's a one-note wonder, and while I'd vehemently disagree, tonight's performance certainly added, um, Fuel to their Creed-o. (Sorry.) I say this from a place of loving fandom, but Chris, preserving your musical integrity doesn't have to involve selecting painfully obvious tracks like ''What If.'' I mean, what if, instead, you had turned Britney Spears' ''Toxic'' into a pungent rock track? Or what if you'd decided to surprise everyone and get a little funky? Or at least tried to crack the occasional smile? It's American Idol, after all, not Frontline.

Not that Chris needs to worry about elimination for the next six or seven weeks. But Kellie is another story altogether. Is it just me or does it seem like the air is slowly streaming out of the tires on her Idol wagon? Say what you want about her choice of Sara Evans' ''Suds in the Bucket,'' but it should've been a slam dunk for this season's polarizingly flaky contestant. Instead, though, Kellie looked uncomfortable and detached, as if she weren't really sure how she'd ended up on a massive stage performing for a national audience.

I've had that very same complaint about Katharine in recent weeks, but tonight, it was her vocals and not her commitment level that failed her. I don't know why all three judges were so full of praise for her rendition of Christina Aguilera's ''The Voice Within''; to me, it was Katharine's worst performance ever, both shrill and slightly off the beat throughout. If you're gonna go near Xtina, you better sung what you brung! And what? Nobody bothered to mention that Katharine was wearing quite possibly the most regurgitastic outfit in Idol history? I know I'm going to have a nightmare about that bizarre beige contraption, with a center panel that looked like it belonged on a bargain-basement bathing suit. Mommy?

Paris Bennett and Taylor Hicks had wardrobe issues tonight, too, but at least I can say theirs were two of the four performances that I'd actually play back on my TiVo tomorrow. Simon was right that Paris looked like ''a precocious little girl pretending to be Beyoncé'' — and let's be real, her hair was definitely styled by someone who would like to see her go home immediately — but the kid nailed the tricky rhythms and intricate riffing of the funk workout that is ''Work It Out.'' As with last week's ''Fever,'' though, there's something incongruous about seeing someone who's clearly so young delivering decidedly adult lyrics like ''Can't wait for the bedroom, we just hit the floor.'' And Paula, um, maybe not so much with the suggestion that a 17-year-old girl aspire to a position as a Pussycat Dolls dancer, okay?

Taylor Hicks (also a victim of this week's Stylistgate) was a lot more convincing singing Ray LaMontagne's ''Trouble,'' but really, of all the tunes written since 2000, this is the best he could do? The guy definitely has a pleasing voice, but I'm worried song selection is going to be his eventual downfall.

The judges were split on my two favorite performances of the night. Mandisa! almost earned a second exclamation point from me for her joyous rendition of Mary Mary's ''Shackles (Praise You).'' She not only caused some danceration in Casa Slezak but also elicited a sharp, funny comment from Paula about 40 million folks joining the church of Mandisa! Still, I knew Simon wasn't going to say anything nice about the performance because I think he looks at Mandisa! and wonders if her full figure and gospel-tinged vocal stylings are a marketable combination. To which I say, ''Heck, yes, they are!'' I know I'm not the only one who can't wait to buy a Mandisa! record. Can I get an amen?

Likewise, I'd pay good money to download Elliott Yamin's ''I Don't Want to Be,'' an R&B-flavored take on Gavin DeGraw's addictive piece of ear candy that may have transformed this season's lovable long shot into a contender for first prize. Think about it: Is there anyone else in the competition whose voice is as clear, controlled, and evocative as Elliott's? And as the guy with the goofy grin grows in confidence each week, he's looking more and more like a pop star, too, providing the kind of come-from-behind story that keeps me glued to my set when Idol is on — even during a lackluster night like tonight.

What do you think? Were you a little underwhelmed by ''the songs of the 21st century''? Are you predicting any surprises in the bottom three? And based on tonight's performances only, who do you think deserves to be the next Idol?

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/commentary/0,6115,1178045_3_0_,00.html

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #133 on: March 30, 2006, 09:58:20 AM »

]Tuckered Out

We expected Lisa's departure on last night's ''American Idol'' but were shocked by Katharine's next-to-last-place finish; some of you readers, however, predicted both by Michael Slezak

Well, I sure didn't see that one coming! No, I don't mean Lisa Tucker's right-on-time elimination from American Idol tonight, but rather, her partner in the bottom two, judges' favorite Katharine McPhee. Sure, I ranked the raven-haired beauty's rendition of Christina Aguilera's ''The Voice Within'' among the four or five worst performances of Tuesday night's episode — as I wrote in that night's TV Watch, Katharine sounded ''shrill and slightly off the beat throughout,'' and her beige Renaissance-fair blouse was ''possibly the most regurgitastic outfit in Idol history.'' But since she was one of the few contestants who'd received unanimous kudos from Simon, Paula, and Randy, I'd figured Katharine was automatically safe.

Perhaps it was a bad sign for Katharine that I wasn't the only one who disagreed with the judges about her subpar effort. (Simon himself admitted tonight that after watching a tape of the show, he realized Katharine was ''nowhere as good'' as he'd given her credit for.) On our message board, a reader named R argued that ''the judges can't accuse Lisa of not 'making the song her own' if they don't accuse Katharine of it too. For Katharine, it really was one of her worst performances.''

Stephanie agreed, writing that ''the beginning of Katharine's performance was a McPhiasco because it sounded pitchy.'' Still, Stephanie made the same mistake I did, envisioning a bottom three of Lisa, Ace, and Bucky.

If only we'd listened to regular message-board poster djm. ''How much do you wanna bet one of the 'top contenders' is going to be in the bottom 3 tonight?'' djm asked. ''I have a feeling the producers are going to put at least one (either Chris or Katharine or Mandisa) in the bottom 3 so that they will get more votes next week. And I have a feeling the vote totals from last night are going to be fairly dismal — I only voted a few times because I thought they were all pretty bad (except Elliott and Paris).'' Interestingly enough, host Ryan Seacrest neglected to mention how many total votes the Idol contenders pulled down after the thoroughly lackluster evening. Much respect to you, djm — unless, of course, you're planning to send a résumé to my editor.

Deservedly rounding out the bottom three was Ace Young, whose ''Drops of Jupiter'' was far more about making goo-goo eyes at the camera than actually singing on key — a strategy that's apparently just fine with readers such as Doug-E, who said he voted for Ace ''about 150 times last night — he is so hot. When he opened his shirt I almost went into cardiac arrest; too yummy.''

The majority of you, however, like reader Cayla13, found Ace's scar-revealing incident ''pitiful.'' As BeckyD wrote, ''nice looks can only get you so far.'' I've got a theory about Ace, though, and if anyone can get his ear, feel free to pass it on: The only way he can survive much longer might be by buzzing off his labor-intensive tresses so he'll have more time to work on his singing.

As for Lisa, well, not even a hairstyle makeover can help her now. Reader Kelbrat noted the super-perky teenager ''has a trained voice that's very average, and it's showing more week after week.'' Indeed, there's nothing like taking on a song by the show's original champ, Kelly Clarkson — and failing miserably — to remind folks you're just not Idol material.

What do you think? Were you surprised to see Katharine in the bottom two? Who should have been there in her place? And which contestant should be most worried about next week's country theme?

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/commentary/0,6115,1178423_3_0_,00.html

AI Forum Moderator
ILClaymate
« Reply #134 on: April 02, 2006, 08:34:22 PM »

This is from a blog so take from it what you will.  Shall be interesting if it is true!

Latest Gossip

Over on the idolonfox.com Official Forums, somebody who calls him/herself "Idol Informant" and claims to be a "fired" Idol employee posted the following Theme-night schedule:

Top 9 (Country)
Top 8 (Queen)
Top 7 (Rod Stewart)
Top 6 (Songs of Past American Idols)
Top 5 (Disco)

Themes through the Top 7 have been announced officially.  The Rod Stewart theme will concentrate on the 4 CDs Rod has recorded of the Great American Songbook, rather than his rock music.  "Songs of the Past American Idols" as a theme is a rumor that's been floating around on the message boards.  According to "informant" it includes songs from the CDs of the following Idols: Kelly Clarkson, Clay Aiken, Fantasia, Ruben Studdard, Diana DeGarmo, Carrie Underwood, Bo Bice, Josh Gracin, Kim Locke, and Justin Guarini.  According to "Informant" they will use "alot of different arrangements, like maybe a rock version of A Moment Like This"  Chris singing "A Moment Like This?"  HEE!
<snip>

MJSBIGBLOG
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #135 on: April 05, 2006, 09:53:55 AM »

`Idol' Relatives Sacrifice for Singers
Tuesday April 4 1:58 PM ET

Millie Hundley is shelling out for airline and hotel costs. Clyde Pickler Sr. is getting by with a little financial help from friends, while Kenneth Daughtry's boss gave him time off and even paid his way from Virginia.

A seat in the studio audience for "American Idol" is free, but contestants' family members and sometimes those around them are paying a price to lend moral support to their favorite singers.

Hundley said it's worth the weekly trips from Atlanta to the soundstage at CBS Television City in Los Angeles to see her stepdaughter, Mandisa, perform each Tuesday on Fox's hit series and to be on hand Wednesdays when a contestant is voted off.

My daughter, who has an awesome singing voice, now has the opportunity to show it to the whole world. She's traveled a lot, she's sung a lot, but now she's on national TV and I get to watch my daughter live my dreams," said Hundley, a church choir soloist.

Her pastor is "so supportive. He's as excited as I am," said Hundley, who works part-time at the Greater Travelers Rest Baptist Church in Decatur, Ga., But the expenses are adding up, she said.

"Hey, you want to sponsor me?" she joked, after hearing that Daughtry, brother of contestant Chris Daughtry, had received financial help from his employer and co-workers at a sawmill in Blackstone, Va.

Kenneth Daughtry said he was eager to come because his brother's wife, Deanna, who's caring for two children and recuperating from surgery, couldn't make the trip from McLeansville, N.C. His boss felt the same way.

"It was something he wanted to do for me because he felt like if it was his brother, he'd want to be out here and support him," said Daughtry, who flew out for a recent show. "I couldn't afford it any other way."

Pickler, grandfather of finalist Kellie Pickler of Albemarle, N.C., is a semiretired electrician and only had to worry about Kellie's dog back home (the pooch is being tended by his girlfriend, Clyde Pickler said.)

He's staying at a Howard Johnson hotel near the airport and friends have helped out with the cost, he said. But he's been using taxis to ferry him the long distances around the city "and that gets kind of expensive," he said.

Neither Daughtry or Pickler are in pricey digs: a room at Howard Johnson goes for about $90, while Daughtry's hotel, the Tradewinds, lists rates from $39.99 to $79.

Elliott Yamin's mother, Claudette, who said she left behind "my volunteer work and maybe a dead battery in my car" in Richmond, Va., has been crashing with various friends in the Los Angeles area.

"I've had good couches and good extra bedrooms," she said. It's more than worth the disruption: "Someone asked me have I pinched myself yet. I said, no, I'm afraid to. It's like a dream. I'm very proud of my son."

Bucky Covington's wife, Crystal, had come out from Rockingham, N.C., for a two-week stay earlier in the contest but now wants to stick it out. The emergency-department nurse said understanding employers gave her the OK.

"I'd just taken a week to come back out for the show and they said, `No, this is a once-in-a-lifetime thing. Just take a leave of absence and come back when you're ready,'" Covington said. "I'll go home, I guess, when I run out of money."

She's staying near the studio and gets to visit only briefly with her husband, who's tied up with rehearsal and promotional duties as well as performances. Their time together is generally limited to dinner, she said.

So how does she spend her days? "I've pretty much done the touristy things. Now I just look for different shops, things we don't have at home."

For a few family members, attending the show requires only a drive. Los Angeles contestant Ace Young's lookalike older brother, Ryan, lives in the area, as does Katharine McPhee's mother, Peisha, and they are usually in the audience.

Meanwhile, the singers themselves are bunking in apartments provided by the show. Also taking advantage of the free housing are the relatives of minor contestants who, by law, must have a guardian with them.

Among the parents keeping a watchful eye is Jamecia Bennett, mother of Paris Bennett, 17. A professional singer herself (she's worked with Janet Jackson and others), Bennett said she's put her own work on hold and considers it worth it.

"This is really the first time I can be settled and just enjoy her," said Bennett, who lives in Deep Haven, Minn., but travels to Los Angeles and elsewhere for recording work. "It's given me a lot of time to do mother-and-daughter bonding."

She also offers parental advice to Paris.

"I tell her, take advantage of this. We didn't have this ('American Idol') machine back then. ... It can give you all the publicity you need," said Bennett.

Another local-area mom on the set was Eleanor Tucker of Anaheim, who stayed with daughter Lisa, 16, while husband Stan Tucker minded the home front. Lisa was voted off last week but her mother's job as show-business chaperone shows no sign of ending.

The day after Lisa lost her shot at winning the show's record contract, the pair were shopping for an outfit for the teenager to wear on NBC's "Tonight Show" and preparing to fly to New York for her appearance on "Live With Regis & Kelly."

Lisa appreciates the support she's gotten from her parents and two older brothers, Eleanor Tucker said.

"She says that all the time. Sometimes at night, when I'm already in bed, she will come to me and say, 'Mom, thank you. I know that you're giving up so much for me.'"

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/ap/20060404/114418428000.html

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #136 on: April 05, 2006, 10:12:16 AM »

What really goes on inside ‘American Idol’

By KAYE VILLAGOMEZ

For the past weeks, the Manila Bulletin featured interviews of "American Idol" contestants who were voted off the phenomenal star search a few hours before they were forced to leave the season earlier than the others. Idols–out Kevin Covais and Lisa Tucker disclosed bits of information any Idol fan will be interested to know. In the process, they were able to share a few things you only get to confirm if you’re an insider, from a contestant’s point of view.

These are the following trivia we’ve gathered straight from Kevin and Lisa via phone interviews:

Goodbye dinner. Voted off contestants get to hang out with the remaining contenders immediately after they were sent home. It’s a sort–off goodbye dinner where the contestants get to relive their experiences with the one who’s leaving the show. Common topics: Assuring each other that there’ll be more of everybody when they reunite for the "Idol" tour after the season ends and emotional ‘we’ll miss you’ messages especially from fellow Idol roommates.

No casual talks with judges. The judges don’t get to speak to the contestants other than what is seen during telecasts. How the audience perceive the judges is just about how the contestants know them also. The judges don’t get to advise them backstage.

The seating arrangement scare. During elimination nights, the contestants are informed of the seating arrangement right before they go out on stage. No one knows how host Ryan Seacrest is going to shuffle your-safe or not-safe statements. The only clue you have is if you’re seating beside someone who frequently trips the ‘bottom three.’ But since America has consistently been an unpredictable voting population, no clues are solid. During vote-off days, the contestants spend the entire day wondering what the seats’ order will be and how Seacrest will break the bad news for those at the bottom three.

Going first. Like the seating arrangements, nobody knows how the order of performance is arranged. The contestants know that it’s random but they only get to know who goes first before the airing starts.

Your choice alone. "American Idol" contestants are solely responsible for their choices of songs. Yes, they do get a list of suggested songs after elimination episodes but the decision is all theirs. Usually they arrive at a decision two days after the elimination then it’s all practice from there until the next performance night. By Friday or Saturday, the contestants are pretty much ready with song choices.

Fashion help. Contestants get fashion help from the show’s production staff. Confined to their respective close door practices, the contestants are given few choices on what to wear, what to look like and how to wear their fashion. There are at least two stylists on board. So when Simon Cowell bickers on a hopeful’s fashion sense, he or she is not much to be blamed for it.

Good vibes. Contestants of this season claim that everyone has been nice to everyone. It’s all friendship backstage and in their Idol confinement. No one’s getting on the nerve of anyone despite the different personalities. Well, not yet...

Big deal about song choices. Each week, the judges keep on smacking contestants’ song choices as if it’s the one important mistake an Idol can’t commit yet always falls prey for. Well, guess what? It’s really a big deal. It’s not just something the judges would talk about out of habit, it really matters.

Finish the song. Voted off contestants don’t know that they are cut off the air even before they finish their farewell numbers. They felt it’s unfair to cut their last big stand off the air when it’s about giving it everything they’ve got at the final moment

Comment ban. Contestants who are voted off are not allowed to comment, campaign and predict the fate of those who are left to compete. Obviously, people behind the show want the outcome to be on equal footing as much as possible. Because voted off contestants are interviewed by the press, whatever they say about possible outcomes may affect the voting strongly.

http://www.mb.com.nonameblogger/archive_pages.php?url=http://www.mb.com.nonameblogger/issues/2006/04/06/ENTR2006040660732.html

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #137 on: April 12, 2006, 10:59:07 AM »

American Idol Finalists Find Redemption With QUEEN

April 11, 2006

After the last two weeks, we were beginning to think it might turn into a very disappointing American Idol season, but it looks like all the finalists needed was a little rock n’ roll.  Many were dreading the idea of a QUEEN week, thinking it would be a vocal disaster for the American Idol finalists, but it actually turned out to be their redemption.  QUEEN week offered up probably the best performances as a whole of the competition to date. 

Bucky Covington starts things off with “Fat Bottomed Girls.”  Randy Jackson says “Nice way to start the show.”  Paula Abdul says “It was great, you did a great job.”  Simon Cowell says “I think the song was bigger than you.  Overall I would classify that as quite mediocre.” 

Ace Young sings “We Will Rock You.”  Randy Jackson says “Dude, for me it was like a 5 or 6.”  Paula Abdul says “A little pitchy, I appreciate that you know what time it is in the competition and took a risk.”  Simon Cowell says “I really, really hated that.” 

Kellie Pickler sings “Bohemian Rhapsody.”  Randy Jackson says “It’s a fly jacket and guess what, you know what’s even better than that, I think you worked it out.”  Paula Abdul says “You worked it out and you showed the rocker chick that you were.”  Simon Cowell says “I think it worked, you did good.” 

Chris Daughtry sings “Innuendo.”  Randy Jackson says “Dude you definitely did not disappoint, you delivered, baby.”  Paula Abdul says something incomprehensible, but it sounds like it’s positive.  Simon Cowell says “They don’t perform that song live because it’s not a very good song.”  However, Simon does credit Chris with having a good vocal performance, but thinks he could have had a moment if he had picked a better song.   

Katharine McPhee sings “Who Wants To Live Forever.”  Randy Jackson says “You did a good job all in all.”  Paula Abdul says “You made the right decision to just stand there and be glorious with your glorious voice.”  Simon Cowell says “That was almost the moment.”  Simon also adds “Overall I think it was probably one of the strongest tonight.”     

Elliott Yamin sings “Somebody To Love.”  Randy Jackson says “All in all, I loved you man, I thought it was really, really good.”  Paula Abdul says “The best vocal tonight.”  Simon Cowell says “Overall I think you probably pulled it off.” 

Taylor Hicks sings “A Crazy Little Thing Called Love.”  Randy Jackson says “Tonight America, Taylor’s back, and he’s kicking and taking names.”  Paula Abdul says “I don’t know whether we should give you a record deal or a straight jacket.”  Simon Cowell says “Taylor, are you drunk?  Because I thought it was ridiculous.” 

Paris Bennett sings “The Show Must Go On.”  Randy Jackson says “Yes, you worked it out, baby.”  Paula Abdul says “Keep on rocking.”  Simon Cowell says “I found it all a little weird.” 

It’s really hard to pick a bottom three this week, because for the first time, nobody really deserves to be in the bottom three (except maybe Ace).  Even though Bucky got the dreaded opening spot that is usually reserved for someone having an off week, Bucky had one of his best performances of the competition.  And while Kellie Pickler might not have lived up to Constantine’s version of “Bohemian Rhapsody,” she actually held her own and did far better than most probably expected.  Chris Daughtry and Taylor Hicks have two of the strongest fan bases, and even though Chris picked a boring song and Taylor had difficulty kicking over a mic stand, they both did well enough that they should be safe.

The vote is probably going to come down to a popularity contest.  We predict that Ace Young, Elliott Yamin, and Paris Bennett will be in the bottom three, with the possibility that Katharine McPhee might take Paris Bennett’s place in the bottom three.  We predict that Ace Young will be eliminated.

http://www.realitytvmagazine.com/blog/2006/04/american_idol_f_3.html

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #138 on: April 12, 2006, 04:41:38 PM »

'American Idol' Recap: Kellie Heats Things Up, Bucky's Easy To Forget

Pickler shows some passion; Covington wasn't memorable enough to secure his spot.

by Corey Moss

It seems everyone has something to say about "American Idol" and MTVNews.com is no different. Here's the latest edition of our weekly performance-night roundup:

April 11 - Theme: Queen songs

Surprise performance:

E-Mail this story to a friend
   XML RSS Feed    Add RSS Headlines

Add to My Yahoo    Add VH1 News to My Yahoo

Here's some term-in-awlogy for you, Kellie Pickler: That was a bad-ass performance. The minx returned and she was sexier than ever, dressed in all black and singing with passion. Her chopped version of "Bohemian Rhapsody" avoided some of the song's more challenging moments, but it was still the best female version of the Queen classic since ... well, "Rock Star: INXS."

Fashion hits and misses: What's worse? Tight leather pants or baggy leather pants? Ace Young made an argument for the latter. Paris Bennett surprisingly continues to reinvent her hair each week, but the Lil' Kim look was too much for a 16-year-old. Ryan Seacrest with a sweater under his suit was just stuffy. On the other end of the spectrum, Katharine McPhee was stunning, Kellie was smoking and Taylor Hicks was perfectly silver.

Judging the judges: Seems this season Randy Jackson either hates everything or loves it. Still wondering what "working it out" means, though. Paula Abdul used it, so she must know — but then again, probably not. Simon Cowell pulled out what may be his harshest statements ever for Ace and never really cheered up. He was right about Chris Daughtry sounding good but picking a weird song, but he was just plain wrong dissing Taylor. All is forgiven though after one of his best lines of the season, telling Kellie he can't understand her either.

Best audience sign: Tie between "Ace Is A Full House" and "Ace, Will You Go To Prom With Me?"

Who will go: Elliott Yamin and Paris were good, but were they good enough to rescue them from last week's bottom three? The judges hated Ace, but it worked on TV and he obviously has a fanbase. And then there's Bucky Covington, who went first with a not-so-memorable performance. The gut says, to paraphrase M.I.A., Bucky done gone.

Who needs to step it up: Chris clearly has the voice, but he needs to show versatility and some taste in his music.

Who is the one to beat: Taylor needed to step it up and he did. He's probably back in the lead, although Katharine and Kellie are coming up closer behind.

http://www.vh1.com/news/articles/1528463/20060412/index.jhtml?headlines=true&_requestid=433122

Thanks Her!!!!

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #139 on: April 12, 2006, 05:01:14 PM »

‘Idol’ wannabes rock judges with Queen tunes
Kellie Pickler is bold enough to sing a truncated ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’

COMMENTARY
By Craig Berman
MSNBC
Updated: 10:42 p.m. ET April 11, 2006
Seriously, enough is enough. Whoever decides the theme for "American Idol" needs to go on the Internet and download music from bands that have been popular within the last two decades.

Already this season, the show has featured Barry Manilow and Kenny Rogers. This week, the signature act was Queen, a band that not only offered the late, great Freddie Mercury as the lead singer, but also a catalog of songs with enough chord changes and vocal stretches to make for a night of challenging performances.

Watching and listening to the remaining members of Queen interact with the "Idol" finalists didn't do anything to ease those fears. The band looked as if they were wondering how they had arrived at a stage in their career where they were sharing the stage with a bunch of people whose first exposure to their music was in "Wayne's World." And now those same Queen newbies were trying to switch around the band's arrangements to make them easier to sing. Could the potential new fan exposure really be worth the risk that Kellie Pickler would butcher "Bohemian Rhapsody," or Taylor Hicks would have a seizure in the middle of "Crazy Little Thing called Love"?

Those factors made this week look like a potential trainwreck, but it was a surprisingly entertaining effort. The contestants and the judges each deserve credit for that. The eight remaining finalists did a nice job with their song selections (even if Hicks and Katharine McPhee were unsure enough that they changed their mind late in the week), and kept their composure — despite the stylists' decision to make everyone look like Queen by giving them eye shadow and glam rock outfits. Thankfully, the judges seemed to grade on a curve.

Everyone had pitch problems, because every song had a ton of chord changes that made it hard to keep up, but Randy and Paula mentioned the flaws briefly and then moved on. It was a rare act of kindness, since Mercury was one of the premier rock vocalists in history and none of the eight "Idol" finalists are close to meeting that standard.

Bucky Covington, 28, Rockingham, N.C. : Covington dealt with the "Queen" issue by taking "Fat Bottomed Girls" and countrifying it. It worked out as well as could be expected. He was still drowned out by the music, as he is every week, but he looked comfortable out there. He received praise from the two judges who would not have to help produce his album if he wins.
Grade: B-
The judges: "You stayed true to who you are, and you made 'Fat Bottomed Girls' a country song." – Paula Abdul.
Stay or go: Who the heck knows? Covington's defied the odds thus far, and he sang pretty well. Maybe he can keep the magic going another week. But it doesn't help his chances that he was the first singer of the night and that most of the finalists sang well.

Ace Young, 25, Denver, Colo.:  Since the Queen catalog isn't full of songs suitable for Young to cover, he decided to go with "We Will Rock You" and throw himself on the mercy of the sports fans who chant the lyrics at hockey games. The effort was there, but his vocals were a hodgepodge of styles that made the whole thing sound like a mess. He began with a bit of a British accent, changed the arrangement in the middle, and appeared to stumble on some of the words. Though he closed with a flourish, it was far from his best effort.

Grade: C-
The judges: "It was 'We Will Rock You' gently. I really really really really hated that. I'm sorry." – Simon Cowell.

Stay or go: Based on this week alone, Young is probably gone. But he clearly has a dedicated fan base, since he wasn't even among the bottom three last week. He'll need another dedicated effort from those supporters to stick around.

Kellie Pickler, 19, Albemarle, N.C.:  Pickler decided to go with her 90-second version of the legendary "Bohemian Rhapsody." Anyone out there rolling their eyes and cringing at the thought of her attempting that song would be at one with the judges, the studio audience and everyone who loves music. But she did a credible job, and surprisingly was better doing the rock finale than the opening ballad. It was the first time she's looked comfortable singing anything besides country. Oh, and add the expression "it looked bad on paper" to the list of modern sayings Pickler has supposedly never heard before.
Grade: B+
The judges: "When I first heard today you were gonna do that song, I was worried. But I think you worked it out. I was entertained." – Randy Jackson.
Stay or go: Pickler hasn't been in the bottom three yet, and probably won't be this week either.

Chris Daughtry, 26, McLeansville, N.C.: Anyone who likes Daughtry's signature style of shouting into the microphone like he's at a dive bar with a burned-out microphone had to be happy with his performance.  Daughtry sang "Innuendo," a song that the band reportedly never performed live. It doesn't take a genius to realize that perhaps the reason for that is that the song isn't very good, but Daughtry did a nice job with it anyway. Considering he's the only one in the competition with anything resembling the persona needed to play arena rock, that's no surprise.
Grade: A
The judges: "I just think it's a shame that you didn't decide to entertain the audience at home with one of the great Queen songs, because you could have had a moment tonight." – Simon Cowell.
Stay or go: Daughtry should be safe.

Katharine McPhee, 21, Los Angeles: McPhee decided to change from "Don't Stop Me Now" to "Who Wants to Live Forever," a haunting ballad best known for being in "Highlander." The arrangement was strange at times, possibly due to some residual annoyance at having to tear up their work and start over so late in the week, but it was a great decision to go with the slower song. It allowed her to show off the power in her voice, which she did well enough to impress all three judges.
Grade: A-
The judges: "I love when I see an artist make a change to … change their mind. And you made the right decision." – Paula Abdul
Stay or go: Much like in "Highlander," at the end of this "Idol" season there can be only one. McPhee is doing her best to be that winner. She sang well enough to survive, although the fact that she's been in the bottom two already is cause for concern.

Elliott Yamin, 27, Richmond, Va.: Here are some of the jobs Elliott Yamin has had: Fast-food worker, corporate employee and a DJ on the air between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. Does that make him a more sympathetic figure to vote for? After finishing with the second-fewest votes last week, he certainly hopes so. Yamin sang Queen's "Somebody to Love" well enough to earn increased support. He's the rare contestant who would benefit more from Paula's advice. His vocals are fine, but he still moves around onstage like a teenager afraid to look ridiculous — he won't move his feet unless the rotation of the earth forces him to.
Grade: B
The judges: "All in all, I loved you man. I thought it was really really good."– Randy Jackson.
Stay or go: Yamin is the hardest finalist to predict, because he sailed through the competition until he finished with the second-fewest number of votes last week. He should survive, but will probably be back in the bottom three again.

Talyor Hicks, 29, Birmingham, Ala.: Hicks joined McPhee in the ranks of contestants who annoyed all the musicians and background vocalists by changing his mind at the last minute. In his case, he went from "We Are the Champions" to "Crazy Little Thing Called Love." After two weeks of standing around like a statue onstage, he felt like he needed to be entertaining. Simon asked him if he was drunk, but the switch was a smart one; he's not going to win this by being conventional, but by being the best entertainer. And his performance was definitely the most entertaining of the night.
Grade: A-
The judges: "I don't know whether we should give you a record deal or a straitjacket." – Paula Abdul
Stay or go:  Hicks is safe. Crazy, but safe.

Paris Bennett, 17, Fayetteville, Ga.: Bennett sang "The Show Must Go On," one of Queen's signature songs as Freddie Mercury's health deteriorated. She did fine, although there's no getting around the fact that she's a teenager singing a style of music that's way outside her comfort zone. She'll be happier when the show goes back to featuring actual pop music themes instead of ’70s rock.
Grade: B+
The judges: "I found it all a little weird." – Simon Cowell.
Stay or go:  Bennett was in the bottom three last week, and may wind up there again. But she's unlikely to be the one voted off.

Craig Berman is a writer in Washington, D.C.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12274826/

Thanks Lindsay!!!!

AI Forum Moderator
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx