gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:05:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 434
Total: 434

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: American Idol 5 News & Information  (Read 40328 times)
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« on: September 15, 2005, 09:47:27 AM »

Hello Everyone:

Actually taking a lunch break today so I have time to post a bit. I wanted to start this thread because there's news about the new season and tryouts out there for anyone interested.

American Idol Hopefuls Start Lining Up Two Days Early
Wednesday, September 14, 2005, 3:21 p.m.

CHICAGO -- "American Idol" auditions at Soldier Field were two days away (they're Friday) - but people already were arriving to check out the venue... and the competition.

WBBM Newsradio 780's Steve Miller was there - listening… LISTEN

People looking to be the next American Idol were lining up outside Soldier Field for Friday auditions.

The line officially starts at 6 a.m. Thursday. Everyone will get to audition. Thursday is reserved for the media to get pictures of all the hopefuls waiting in line.

Auditions start on Friday. When auditions were held in Cleveland, hopefuls could walk up the morning of tryouts, get a wristband, sign a waiver and sing in a few hours. That's not the case in Chicago.

http://www.wbbm780.com/includes/news_items/news_items_more.php?section_id=9&id=19289

AI Forum Moderator
Yup, I think about Clay probably about as often as men think about sex.
"Half my butt is mac & cheese and the other half is Krispy Kreme..." Clay Aiken
Carpe Clayum-Seize the Clay
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 09:49:19 AM »

Fox's 'American Idol 5' sets record primetime TV series ad price

UPI News Service, 09/13/2005

Fox TV's "American Idol" has set a primetime series record price tag of $705,000 for a 30-second commercial during its Wednesday night installment.

The figure represents a 7-percent increase for season five of the popular talent show, Adweek reported. It also means "American Idol" commercials for the second year in a row are the most expensive on network TV.

When "American Idol" begins its fifth season, Tuesday night ads will cost $660,000 for 30 seconds -- more than double the most expensive new show, which is NBC's "The Apprentice: Martha Stewart," selling at $310,000 for a half-minute spot, sources told Adweek.

Last year's major "American Idol" sponsors -- Cingular Wireless, Coca-Cola and Ford -- have reportedly renewed their deals.

http://www.realitytvworld.com/index/articles/story.php?s=1004540

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 05:18:55 AM »

Simon Cowell already has a favorite 'American Idol 5' singer

UPI News Service, 11/08/2005

"American Idol" judge Simon Cowell says he only remembers one contestant out of the thousands who auditioned for the Fox TV hit's upcoming season.

The only person I can genuinely remember from the auditions that I've done for this season is an Irish girl that we saw in Las Vegas who now lives in America," Cowell told The New York Post.

"I think she sang a Chaka Khan song and afterwards I said 'I think we may have found someone as good as ('Idol' winner) Kelly Clarkson.'"

But after heaping all that praise on the Vegas "Irish girl," Cowell told The Post he forgot her name.

The fifth season of the talent competition is expected to bow in early 2006.

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/simon-cowell-already-has-favorite-american-idol-5-singer-1005828.php

AI Forum Moderator
claynadian
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 10:21:34 AM »

Can anyone tell me when American Idol will be starting up agian?
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 03:33:51 PM »

SEASON 5 IS COMING UP!
San Francisco. Austin. Boston. Chicago. Denver. Greensboro. Las Vegas. In each city, thousands and thousands of hopeful superstars turned out and endured long lines for their one shot at becoming the next American Idol. Some were met with quick success. Others were sent packing, their dreams dashed early on.

Paula, Simon and Randy have narrowed the playing field and soon it will be up to you. Singing, eliminating, singing some more, and then still more eliminating. And then your next American Idol will take their place next to Kelly, Ruben, Fantasia and Carrie. You’ll see everything when the fifth exciting season of American Idol returns in January! Don't miss a note.

IDOLONFOX

Clay "is" the "News"
When Words Fail--Let Music Speak
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 03:20:20 AM »

And in other Idol news, the fifth edition of the show -- to begin Jan. 17 -- will remain on Tuesday and Wednesday nights, despite strong rumors that FOX was going to switch it over to Wednesdays and Thursdays. "You don't mess with a good thing," network entertainment president Peter Liguori tells The New York Times.

TEENPEOPLE

Clay "is" the "News"
When Words Fail--Let Music Speak
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 10:17:47 AM »

Fox Reality To Offer Exclusive American Idol Content

Simon Cowell is going to be back.  FOX is sticking with Tuesdays and Wednesdays.  And now more good news for American Idol fans.  Fox Reality is going to be offering up additional American Idol 4 and 5 content, including exclusive footage and interviews.

American Idol 4 proved to be one of the most popular American Idols ever, introducing a host of talented singers.  Fox Reality will rebroadcast American Idol Season 4 with RealityRevealed, which promises to give fans the complete experience with never before seen content.  According to Fox Reality, viewers will be able to see the entire “Idol” aftermath through the eyes of the stars themselves. 

Fox Reality’s American Idol Season 4 with RealityRevealed exclusive content will begin January 2 and culminate on January 17, the night of American Idol's Season 5 premiere on FOX.  American Idol Season 4 episodes will be telecast everyday beginning at 5:00pm ET/PT.

On January 17, Fox Reality will also air an American Idol season 4 marathon with RealityRevealed followed by a special Season 5 American Idol episode of Reality Remix, hosted by Kennedy.  Fox Reality then premieres American Idol Season 5 original programming in March, April and May.  Fox Reality will air exclusive American Idol 5 original aftermath programming and counts down with America. Every week following elimination shows, Fox Reality will go behind the scenes and follow the contestants America voted off.  Reality fans will get up close and personal with the voted off Idol contestants, the competition, the families and their fans.

Reality TV Magazine is your source for American Idol news.  For other great American Idol news, please also check out SirLinksALot: American Idol.

http://www.realitytvmagazine.com/blog/2005/12/fox_reality_to_.html

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 06:04:45 AM »

'Idol' juggernaut begins Jan. 17

By wire services
Published December 27, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So American Idol will air on Thursday, TV's most competitive night, after all - for a little while.

Fox has unveiled its full schedule for the fifth season of the show, which will adhere to the format it adopted last season: After the auditions and the Hollywood training camp, the 24 semifinalists will split along gender lines, with the male and female singers performing separately each week until six of each remain.

During that round, the show will make its way onto Thursday. Starting Feb. 21, the semifinalists will sing in performance episodes on Tuesday and Wednesday, with the results of fan voting revealed in hourlong shows on Thursday.

Before Fox released its midseason schedule, there was widespread speculation that the results show would regularly move to Thursday. That didn't happen; the network decided to keep the familiar Tuesday-Wednesday schedule for the bulk of the season, including the finals.

The Thursday results show will run at 8 p.m. for three weeks, with the 12 finalists being revealed on March 9.

American Idol premieres Jan. 17. The audition and Hollywood rounds will air Tuesday and Wednesday through Feb. 15, when the semifinalists are announced. After the three weekly semifinal rounds, the final 12 will perform on the same stage for the first time on March 14.

[Last modified December 27, 2005, 02:30:20]

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/12/27/Artsandentertainment/_Idol__juggernaut_beg.shtml

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 11:02:31 AM »

Press Release Source: FOX REALITY

FOX REALITY Debuts Exclusive 'American Idol' Original Programming on Saturday, January 7, 2006 Through Tuesday, January 17, 2006
Wednesday December 28, 9:00 am ET 
The Only ALL REALITY, ALL THE TIME Channel Premieres 'American Idol' 4 With RealityRevealed, Featuring Exclusive Interviews With the Cast, Including Bo Bice and Carrie Underwood, the Judges, Producers and More!
Plus ...
'American Idol' Season 4 Marathon on January 17 Leads Into Special 'American Idol' Season 5 Episode of 'Reality Remix'

LOS ANGELES, Dec. 28 /PRNewswire/ -- FOX REALITY will bring "American Idol" fans exclusive interviews when the only ALL REALITY, ALL THE TIME channel premieres FOX's "American Idol" (Season 4) with RealityRevealed beginning Saturday, January 7. "American Idol" Season 4 with RealityRevealed episodes will be telecast every evening beginning at 5:00pm ET/ PT and culminating Tuesday, January 17, when "American Idol's" Season 5 premieres on FOX at 8pm ET/PT.

Also on Tuesday, January 17, FOX REALITY will air an "American Idol" (season 4) marathon beginning at 11:00am ET / 8:00am PT with RealityRevealed followed by a special "American Idol" season 5 "Reality Remix" show hosted by Kennedy, formerly an MTV veejay.

"American Idol" (Season 4) with RealityRevealed gives fans the complete experience with never-before-seen interviews, giving viewers the opportunity to get up close and personal and relive the "Idol" experience through the eyes of the stars themselves. With exclusive interviews with the contestants, including the top four finalists, the judges and producers, the whole "Idol" story unfolds giving fans more of what they want to know.

"American Idol" Season 4 RealityRevealed original programming is produced by Fox Reality. Fourteen-time Emmy-nominated "American Idol" is created and executive-produced by Simon Fuller, founder of 19 Entertainment; and executive-produced by Cecile Frot-Coutaz, CEO, FremantleMedia North America, Inc.; Nigel Lythgoe, President, 19 Television; and Ken Warwick, Executive Producer, FremantleMedia North America, Inc.

ABOUT FOX REALITY

FOX REALITY launched May 24, 2005 to become the first destination for lovers of unscripted programming. The channel offers major US network favorites, exclusive international reality programming, Original Series and Specials. FOX REALITY offers reality viewers more of their favorite reality programming with RealityRevealed in Primetime with never-before-seen footage, exclusive interviews, behind the scenes secrets and more reality fun. FOX REALITY is currently seen in more than 18 million households, and is on pace to become one of only six new cable or satellite networks to surpass 20 million homes in its first year. To get more information on FOX REALITY programs and schedules, please visit foxreality.com. To see if you get FOX REALITY, call 1-877-859-REAL.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/051228/law016.html?.v=36

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006, 11:22:49 AM »

So we all remember Clay's first audition right?

Do you know right from that moment that Clay was the one you were rooting for?

I did! People I used to work with still remember me coming to work talking about him the day after.

This thread will be for just that kind of speculation.

Is there a contestant you saw in the audition phase that you think should make it through to the top?

Discussions on this are welcome here!

Enjoy!

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2006, 05:55:19 AM »

Getting Ready For Evil Idol 5
Fox has started running promos for the two hour premiere of American Idol 5, and the early commercials suggest that viewers can expect to see the same mixture of good and bad singers as in the past. If early statements from American Idol Host Ryan Seacrest and American Idol Judge Randy Jackson prove to be true, then one big change is that American Idol 5 might earn the nickname Evil Idol 5.  First, Ryan Seacrest said that American Idol 5 would offer more “individual and independent competitive spirit than ever before."  Then, Randy Jackson took it a little further and said there would be “interesting fighting and dialogue going on amongst the contestants.”

http://www.realitytvmagazine.com/blog/2006/01/getting_ready_f.html

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2006, 07:40:49 AM »

AMERICAN IDOL HOST SIGNS UP FOR RED CARPET COVERAGE

AMERICAN IDOL host RYAN SEACREST has got the New Year off to a lucrative start after signing a deal with E! Entertainment to cover glittering red carpet award ceremonies.

Seacrest will share presenting duties with designer ISAAC MIZRAHI and E!'s GIULIANA DEPANDI as executive producer of LIVE FROM THE RED CARPET, with his first major event in two weeks (16JAN06) - the Golden Globe Awards.

The maverick entertainer will also continue to pursue his musical interests with a fifth series of TV talent show American Idol, as well as hosting the weekly American Top 40 radio shows.

04/01/2006 09:12

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/american%20idol%20host%20signs%20up%20for%20red%20carpet%20coverage

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2006, 05:25:12 AM »

Buying into the next season of 'American Idol'

Monday, January 9, 2006

By MARC SCHWARZ
STAFF WRITER

In four years, it's become rote.

January comes. Millions of viewers turn twice, sometimes three times a week to Fox to watch "American Idol."

In May, millions more will buy, download and listen to the single of the new champ's winning performance.

Sometime in the last quarter of the year, the newest "Idol" will crack the charts with his or her debut release.

It's a routine that has become ingrained in the hearts and minds of pop culture. There is little doubt that the routine will repeat itself beginning Jan. 17 when "American Idol" returns for a fifth season.

But, why?

Why has "Idol" engulfed both the world of TV and music?

Why is it one of the few guaranteed successes in an entertainment world that sees so many sure things crash and burn?

Why is some unknown singer already on the road to fame and riches?

The answers are simple:

Variety is the spice of life: "Idol" is to 21st century TV what the original "Star Search" and "The Ted Mack Family Hour" were to 20th century TV. "It's a show about real-life young people competing in a musical competition, complete with comedy," says Marc Berman, senior television writer for Mediaweek, alluding to the auditions by the William Hungs of the world.

Plus, there's no comparison to other shows in the genre. "This is to 'Star Search' what modern quantum physics is to Newtonian notions of physics," says Robert Thompson, director of the Center for the Study of Popular Television at Syracuse University. "It's so brilliantly put together. For one thing, it's two different shows. There's the show before they pick the final 12, which is essentially a delicious reality show with lots of mocking of people, laughing at the people who are really bad and all that kind of stuff. And then it transforms after the final 12 into a really good, old-fashioned, family-friendly talent show."

Don't underestimate family-friendly: "Idol" appeals to a broad audience. "It is one of the few shows on American television, especially after you get past those first couple of weeks, where really little kids love it, grandma loves it," Thompson says. "It's got the kind of wide appeal we used to see all the time on network TV that we very seldom see anymore."

Cheese sells: Except for the acerbic comments from judge Simon Cowell, there's no friction or bad words among the contestants once they get down to the final 12. In fact, as Thompson points out, the show is almost "schmaltzy." "When they're voted out, they're hugging each other and crying. There is almost a 'Mickey Mouse Club' quality to it," he adds.

There's something real at stake: As opposed to reality shows such as "Survivor" or "The Apprentice," the winners don't disappear or recycle themselves on other reality shows. They go straight to the top of the charts.

"Maybe 10 or 12 popular artists have been introduced into popular music since the show's debut, and it's only four seasons in," says Barry Jeckell, editor of Billboard.com.

"With 'The Apprentice,' we thought how exciting, a real job with Donald Trump, then we began to realize, this doesn't mean that," Thompson says. "Bill Rancic didn't build that building in Chicago, essentially what that job was was for Bill Rancic to take George's place on the TV show when George is away. ... 'Survivor,' sure the person gets $1 million, but what's that to us?

"With 'American Idol,' the reward, the prize they're going for, really does mean something. Whoever wins this is essentially guaranteed a platinum record. It's like watching a 'making of a famous star' documentary for three months, before that person is a famous star."

Money talks: "Idol" sells, simple as that. "The instant built-in audience for the winners is enormous, so if even a fraction of viewers download a new single or buy a CD, it's an enormous amount of sales," Jeckell says. "It's a huge payday for the artist and the label."

Adds "Idol" judge Randy Jackson: "It's amazing what it's done for the music business, even though a lot of record companies don't want to admit it."

The ripple effect is hard to quantify, but it's there. When Constantine Maroulis covered Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" last season, digital download sales of Queen skyrocketed, according to Jeckell.

"It's definitely exposing certain music to people who have never heard it," he added. "Fantasia covered Gershwin and did it really well.

"When they focus on the music of Barry Manilow or someone else, those artists are definitely getting exposed to a whole new audience. That's good no matter how it comes out in sales the next day or the next year."

The winners are talented: As Jackson likes to say, "Every year the right winner won." While it's easy to look back and smirk at some of the near winners -- Justin Guarini, Diana DeGarmo, Scott Savol, the four previous winners have made it. None more so than the original Kelly Clarkson.

"She's a star in her own right – launched by the show – but has proven herself on her own," Jeckell says. "She proved with [her] second album, she has far more as an artist to her than flash-in-the-pan success."

That's still the hurdle that Fantasia, Ruben Studdard and Carrie Underwood will have to clear.

Fox hasn't killed the golden goose: By limiting "Idol" to just once a season, Fox hasn't overplayed its hand the way ABC did with "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire."

"You watch it beginning in January, it stays on the air until May and they cram it down your throat from January to May, but then it disappears for seven months, so viewers don't get tired of it," Berman says. "It gives the viewers something to look forward to."

"American Idol" as the American Dream? "Everybody aspires to be something," Berman says, "They watch other people living their dreams, going on television, putting themselves on the line, singing. This is a dream that I'm sure millions of people have that they're not doing. So to see other people doing it is compelling."

E-mail: schwarz@northjersey.com

What's new this season Conflict: "The kids this time want this worse than ever," Jackson says. Seacrest concurs: "Whereas in years past, people were very politically correct and almost more polite about the other contestants, this year you're going to see both men and women, boys and girls, going for it, because all they care about is them winning." No clear-cut favorite: Last season Cowell predicted before the season began that eventual champ Carrie Underwood would win. "I think this time it's going to come down to who grows the most in the competition, in front of the American public, because I think everyone's that good at the start," Jackson says. Move over, William Hung: Expect a whole new level of bad auditions to make the air. "The outfits got really weird," Jackson says. "I think Halloween is held over throughout the whole year." 

[url]http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2NjImZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTY4NTIwMzgmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk1[/quote]

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2006, 05:28:39 AM »

Simon Cowell Says A Southerner Will Win American Idol 5
The South has ruled American Idol for four straight years.  American Idol 1 Winner Kelly Clarkson is from Texas.  American Idol 2 Winner Ruben Studdard is from Alabama.  American Idol 3 Winner Fantasia Barrino is from North Carolina.  American Idol 4 Winner Carrie Underwood is from Oklahoma.

Not only has a Southerner won American Idol for four straight years, but the first runner-up has also been a Southerner for the last three years.  American Idol 2 Runner-Up Clay Aiken is from North Carolina.  American Idol 3 Runner-Up Diana DeGarmo is from Georgia.  American Idol 4 Runner-Up Bo Bice is from Alabama.  And even though American Idol 1 Runner-Up Justin Guarini grew up in Pennsylvania so we didn’t technically include him in this count, he was born in the Southern state of Georgia.

With the strong record put forth by Southerners on American Idols 1 through 4, it is no wonder that Simon Cowell is predicting that a Southerner will win American Idol 5.  In a recent interview on IdolonFox.com, Simon Cowell says “Every year a Southerner’s won, and I think a Southerner will win again this year.” 

Simon Cowell, who has gained a reputation as being quite the American Idol prophet, doesn’t stop at just predicting a Southerner will win.  Simon also observes that the boys are stronger than he thought and says “a boy could actually win this competition this year.”  And even though the older contestants tended to dominate American Idol 4, it is the younger contestants that Cowell seems impressed by on American Idol 5.  Cowell says “the very young contestants are incredible strong this year.”

In the same IdolonFox.com interview, Simon Cowell also throws out several superlatives to describe American Idol 5.  Cowell has high praise for this year’s contestants and says “we may have the best talent ever found on this show.”  However, Cowell also has harsh criticism for the people who show up to audition and says “99% of the people who turn up are completely and utterly hopeless” and that “they get worse every year and this year’s the worst of the lot.”    Cowell’s superlatives aren’t limited to just the contestants, and he also points out, “I would say Paula is making less sense this year than she’s ever done.”  American Idol 5 premieres on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 on FOX at 8pm ET/PT.

http://www.realitytvmagazine.com/blog/2006/01/simon_cowell_sa.html

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2006, 05:30:10 AM »

'American Idol' repeats to air in weekly syndication beginning this fall

UPI News Service, 01/06/2006

Tribune Entertainment has snatched up the syndication rights to Fox TV's hit talent competition, "American Idol," it was announced Friday.

"Idol" reruns will begin airing weekends nationwide in September, Daily Variety reported.

Tribune Entertainment is expected to offer the show free of charge in exchange for seven minutes of advertising during each hourlong episode, Variety said. The package will be offered to broadcasters during the National Association of TV Program Executives convention later this month in Las Vegas.

Cable's Fox Reality Channel is kicking off a rerun marathon of all 43 episodes of "Idol's" fourth season Saturday as a lead-in to the Jan. 17 premiere of Season 5 on Fox.

"American Idol" was the highest-rated of all network primetime series in total viewers and in adults 18 to 49 for each of the last two seasons.

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/american-idol-repeats-air-in-weekly-syndication-beginning-this-fall-1006730.php

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2006, 05:31:25 AM »

Simon "Duets" with Fox

By Gina Serpe
Mon Jan 9, 5:36 PM ET

At least he's an equal opportunity humiliator.

Having already cornered the market on talentless common folk with American Idol, Simon Cowell has set his sights on the celebrity pool.

The ruthless judge is set to executive produce a new Fox talent competition called Duets that pairs up bold-faced names with professional singers.

The format of the show will parallel Idol's, with the competitors--who, according to the Hollywood Reporter, will come from outside the music industry--performing duets with their partners in front of a live studio audience and a panel of judges. Also like its Idol counterpart, the contestants' fate will ultimately be decided by the viewers.

The Fox show will be the second incarnation for Duets, which Cowell already sold to the U.K.'s ITV under the name Star Duets last month. Both versions will feature themed episodes, with each pairing performing songs from a chosen musical genre.

While no celebs have yet signed on to the series, a search for contestants is already underway. There's also no word on the professional singers who will participate.

Cowell himself will be remaining strictly behind the scenes and has cut short speculation he will appear as a judge.

Duets follows the formula of a recent slate of unscripted shows pairing out-of-their element celebs with pros from a different field, including ABC's surprise megahit Dancing with the Stars, based on Britain's Strictly Come Dancing, and Fox's upcoming Skating with Celebrities. Duets sounds very similar to a gimmick at last year's Emmy Awards. The ceremony featured an in-show "Emmy Idol" competition featuring the likes of Donald Trump and     William Shatner performing classic TV themes with help from real singers.

Duets is also just one of several shows Cowell has a hand in this year.

In addition to his Idol duties, which kick into gear Jan. 16, Cowell is executive producing another reality series, American Inventor, this time for ABC. The show acts as a search for the next great product concept to be voted on, as always, by a panel of judges and home viewers.

However, that show has already stirred up controversy despite having yet to begin production.

Last August, Cowell was sued by Jean Golden and Todd Walker, the creators and hosts of a similarly premised, and at the time, titled, show, Million Dollar Idea. The duo claimed Cowell had ripped off their show, which currently airs in syndication on more than 125 stations.

Duets is slated for a summer premiere.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20060109/en_tv_eo/18106

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2006, 05:39:14 AM »

Ryan Seacret May Be the Real 'American Idol'

By LYNN ELBER, AP Television Writer
Tue Jan 10, 4:05 PM ET

LOS ANGELES - By his own admission, "American Idol" talent-show host Ryan Seacrest can't act. He has yet to demonstrate any dancing or singing chops and is routinely bested by judge Simon Cowell in the wit department.

ADVERTISEMENT

But as the Fox TV hit returns Tuesday for season five, Seacrest is among its biggest successes. With clout gained from the show, he struck a multimillion-dollar cable deal he sees as the cornerstone of a business styled on that of his own idol, Dick "American Bandstand" Clark.

If one affable host with boyish good looks and business acumen could parlay a TV hosting job into a thriving production company, why can't another one — and this time in a sprawling new media world with more opportunities for an ambitious guy.

Fame can be enriching for the ego and bank account but has a limited shelf life. Ryan Seacrest Productions, on the other hand, has the hopeful ring of durability and real financial heft. As with, say, dick clark productions, erstwhile supplier to TV networks of movies, awards shows and more.

"When you're hired to present a show or be on the show, you're hired help. How long can that really last? You never know," Seacrest, 31, told The Associated Press. "I want to show up, I want to work hard, I want to build something I have for a long time."

That dream recently got a big push from E! Entertainment Television, which signed a three-deal aimed at giving the channel the "true star" it was lacking, said Ted Harbert, president and chief executive officer of E! Networks. It's the biggest E! contract since Howard Stern's more than a decade ago.

Harbert is happy to sing Seacrest's praises as a consummate broadcaster with skills honed on radio (the national "American Top 40" and his morning show on Los Angeles station 102.7 KIIS FM) and live TV (a fill-in for CNN's Larry King, along with "American Idol.")

Seacrest, Harbert said, is ready to step in as "America's host" when Clark, 76, decides to retire. The two appeared together on ABC's "New Year's Rockin' Eve" (Clark's first time on TV since his 2004 stroke), produced by their respective companies and ABC.

Ask Harbert about Seacrest's business savvy and his already admiring tone swells.

"That's the right angle," he responds. "He's pretty impressive in that category, and I didn't know that side of him."

Harbert was educated during their contract talks, which proved to be a 1980s flashback. An executive at ABC then and working under old federal rules sharply limiting network ownership of shows, Harbert negotiated to air the American Music Awards and other Clark-produced fare.

"Over the years, every time we see each other, we laugh about the heat of the negotiations," said Harbert. "I had deals with Dick but I never owned his production company. Frankly, that's one of the reasons I did this (with Seacrest). I don't want Ryan on the outside where I have to negotiate with him ... at least for another three or four years."

Seacrest, he said, drove a hard bargain. The agreement calls for him to host and produce awards coverage on E!, to serve as managing editor and lead anchor for "E! News" and to produce other specials and series, including shows for other networks or channels.

Harbert declined to comment on reports that the E! deal is valued at $21 million, including construction of a studio.

Seacrest is attempting to join the ranks of celebrities who successfully angled to become corporate entities, with Clark and Desi Arnaz among the earliest TV examples and     Oprah Winfrey among the most recent. First-season "Idol" winner     Kelly Clarkson is selling millions of records; Seacrest is a partner in six restaurants and is creating a clothing line.

His one big stumble on the road to Clarksville: A short-lived syndicated TV talk show.

Pop culture expert Robert Thompson admires Seacrest's work on "American Idol" — "He's sarcastic enough to make it work, but sincere enough that he's part of the cheese that holds it all together" — but thinks he's wise to cultivate business interests.

"When you look at Ryan Seacrest overall, I think good advice would be, 'Diversify, diversify, diversify," said Thompson, of Syracuse University.

An Atlanta native, Seacrest developed his mellow radio voice as a teenager and put it to use recording phone answering messages for his family and neighbors. Casey Kasem, whom he succeeded on "America's Top 40," was an early professional hero.

Seacrest fulfills his "hosting wants and needs" with the TV and radio shows. But it's his business soul he's bringing to fruition now, nurtured by reading (he cites Harvard's business and marketing books and "The Tipping Point," among others) and Clark tutorials.

"The first time I really sat and met with him behind closed doors was three or four years ago now, and I said to him, 'How do you do what you've done? How does one even get on that path?'" Seacrest recalled.

"His response was, 'You can't do exactly what I've done. There's no formula.'"

Clark's success did crystalize for Seacrest the true value of fame: "He realized every time he was on television ... it was a way to get into a meeting to sell another show."

He treasures their work together on New Year's Eve.

"He's such a pro. He was smooth," Seacrest said, managing to juggle a hectic show without a hint to viewers. "He gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek and said, 'Thank you for being here.'"

A longtime associate of Clark's is willing to concede some likeness between the veteran host and the upstart.

"I think Ryan's certainly a very bright and active talent, he's quite creative. ... He's on his way to becoming a major player," said Francis C. LaMaina, chief operating officer of dick clark productions.

One caveat, LaMaina said: The industry landscape may appear more inviting than it is.

"It's a different age of television these days, tougher to control your product" because networks can own the shows that used to be the property of outside producers, he said.

The "American Idol" host also has to prove his TV value outside of the Fox series, especially given his "lackluster" talk show venture, said     Stacey Lynn Koerner, an executive with media-buying firm Initiative.

"It remains to be seen whether audiences are more enchanted by the man or the program," she said.

Seacrest is used to being called on his limits; he lets occasional descriptions like "dweeb" roll off his back. It's only the thought of slacking off that troubles him, and drives him.

"I feel if I don't go get it, someone else will take it. The business isn't looking for me, they're just looking for someone who can do it. If it wasn't me, it would be someone else."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060110/ap_en_tv/tv_ryan_seacrest_1

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2006, 05:41:25 AM »

American Idol worship
The hit talent show returns next week. Will it lead Fox to a ratings win over CBS, ABC and NBC?

By Paul R. La Monica, CNNMoney.com senior writer
January 10, 2006: 12:37 PM EST

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) – The tortured strains of tone-deaf "singers" convinced that they are the next Mariah or Usher is sweet music to the millions of fans of Fox's hit show "American Idol."

The off-key warbling is even more soothing to executives at Fox and its parent company, media giant News Corp. (Research) "American Idol," the most-watched show during the 2004-2005 season, returns to the prime time lineup on Jan. 17 and it's not a moment too soon for Fox.

The network is currently in fourth place in the ratings race, according to Nielsen Media Research. But that's familiar territory for Fox.

Fox struggled during the beginning of the 2004-2005 season but the success of "Idol" helped lead the network to its first ever full-season ratings victory in the battle for 18 to 49 year olds, the demographic that is most sought after by advertisers.

Not a false Idol for advertisers
The show has generated big bucks for Fox. Media buyers said that Fox has been able to charge advertisers more than $700,000 for thirty-second spots on the Wednesday results show, tops for a regularly scheduled prime time show. ("American Idol" typically airs episodes on Tuesday and Wednesday nights.)

Fox has also attracted lucrative sponsorship deals from the likes of Coca Cola, Ford and Cingular Wireless. A spokesperson for Fox confirmed that these sponsors have all signed on for this season as well.

But now that "Idol" is heading into its fifth year, can it continue to remain on top of the ratings heap? After all, many reality shows have tended to wear out their welcome with viewers quite quickly. ("The Apprentice" and "The Bachelor," anyone?)

In addition, there was a bit of controversy surrounding the show last season. A former contestant alleged that he had an affair with "Idol" judge Paula Abdul, sparking concerns about the integrity of the show's results.

Still, several TV industry experts said they don't expect any "Idol" backlash.

"Shows like this have a certain shelf life and the spiral tends to be rather quick and dramatic, but I don't think anyone expects this to be the year when 'American Idol' jumps the shark," said Kris Magel, senior vice president and national broadcast account director with ZenithOptimedia, a media buying firm.

Andrew Donchin, director of national broadcast at Carat USA, another media buying firm, added that Fox wisely decided to run the show only from January through May instead of having two contests per season.

That's in stark contrast to what NBC has done with the Donald Trump version of "The Apprentice" and how ABC burned out viewers back in 1999 by running its "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" game show almost every night of the week.

"I admire what Fox is doing. Fox is selective, only running it once a year. That whets people's appetites for it," Donchin said. "It's the opposite of the Millionaire fiasco."

Still, Donchin said that the general decline in TV viewership may hurt "Idol" too. But even if ratings dip a bit, another media buyer said that shouldn't be a major cause for concern.

"'Idol' is to prime time what the NFL is to sports. Even if it slightly erodes, it's still a remarkably powerful franchise," said John Rash, senior vice president and director of broadcast negotiations with Campbell Mithun, a Minneapolis-based ad agency owned by Interpublic Group.

A tie-in with MySpace?
And this year, "American Idol" could wind up generating even more revenue for its parent company if Fox decides to feature "Idol"-related content on its social networking site, MySpace.com, which News Corp. acquired last year to take advantage of booming demand for online advertising.

MySpace is immensely popular with many of the younger viewers that "American Idol" has tended to attract. According to data from Web tracking firm Nielsen//NetRatings, MySpace had 24.5 million unique visitors in November, a traffic increase of more than 750 percent from a year earlier. What's more, the site has a particularly heavy focus on music.

So it would seem to be a natural extension for Fox to try and cross-promote "American Idol" heavily on MySpace, especially towards the end of the show's season when the finalists emerge.

Given the show's immense ratings success, content about the show (i.e. contestant profiles, online chats about the show and unaired song and video clips) would seem likely to generate strong online advertising opportunities for News Corp.

The Fox spokesperson would not comment on plans to feature "American Idol" content on MySpace.

But News Corp. chairman and CEO Rupert Murdoch, speaking at Citigroup's annual global entertainment, media and telecommunications conference in Phoenix Monday, said that the company had big plans for MySpace, including the recent launch of free video downloads, its own instant messaging services and eventually, an Internet phone offering.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/10/news/companies/idol_fox/index.htm?section=money_latest

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2006, 05:36:58 AM »

January 12, 2006
Idol Go Home Announces Idol Blogging Competition
Idol Go Home (www.idolgohome.com), the nation’s preeminent online game and interactive community for fans of American Idol, announced recently that a three-week blogging competition will start on Thursday, January 12 to celebrate the premiere of American Idol 5

“Idol Go Home’s Blog World is a unique, innovative and highly-visible forum for American Idol fans,” notes Adam Pick, Idol Go Home founder.  “Imagine an online space where every single American Idol fan can share their thoughts about the show… That is exactly what we created!”

Idol Go Home, like its predecessor Rock Star Go Home, will also feature celebrity bloggers. So far, Deanna Johnston, a finalist from Rock Star: INXS and Stephen Perkins, drummer for Jane’s Addiction, have been identified.

“The official Idol Go Home online game starts on January 17, with some great prizes for participants who correctly pick American Idol show results,” notes Pick. “But, we wanted to start the launch party with a blogging competition.   It’s real simple and free!  Just set up your blog and start writing.  Whoever is the most popular blogger from January 12 until February 2,2006 wins two hundred and fifty dollars ($250).“

To compete in the Blog World competition, simply go to idolgohome.com.  Once you join the free site, you can immediately start your own personal blog.  The Idol Go Home blogs feature the latest in technology including personal photos, personal links, Real Simple Syndication (RSS) and My Yahoo feeds.

“We want our bloggers to have a complete experience!” Pick concluded.  “The technology in the blog world will empower each blogger to have some serious fun and perhaps win some serious money in the process.”

About Idol Go Home

The second in a series of Web-based games tied to reality television programming, Idol Go Home (www.idolgohome.com) is the nation’s foremost online interactive game for American Idol fans.  Created in tandem with the fifth season of American Idol (premiering January 17, 2006), Idol Go Home attracts thousands of registered participants and offers great prizes for players correctly predicting American Idol result.  In addition to prizes and giveaways, Idol Go Home gives fans a voice through its continually-growing Blog World, which features celebrity bloggers, including Deanna Johnston from Rock Star: INXS.  Idol Go Home is a personal fan site and community.  It is not an official site of the American Idol television show.

Posted by Joe Reality on January 12, 2006 at 12:01 AM in Reality TV | Permalink

http://www.realitytvmagazine.com/blog/2006/01/idol_go_home_an.html

AI Forum Moderator
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2006, 08:24:10 AM »

'American Idol' won't mess with success

By Bill Keveney, USA TODAY
Mon Jan 16, 7:29 AM ET

Cue the awful auditioners: Fox's American Idol returns this week with its perennial parade of the tone-deaf, sprinkled with a few of the truly talented.

For the kickoff of its fifth season (Tuesday and Wednesday, 8 p.m. ET/PT), Idol is making few changes to a formula that yielded its biggest audience average last year - nearly 27 million viewers - and made the Tuesday edition the season's No. 1 show. But that doesn't mean viewers won't notice a difference.

Last year's tinkering with age eligibility and semifinal singer selection made Idol stronger, executive producer Nigel Lythgoe says. He doesn't see why this season can't fare as well. (Related story: Idol musings from the judges)

"I think there's going to be major interest again," he says. "The talent this year is very strong. There are some great characters there. The judges, for whatever reason - whether it's the success of the last (season) or just a refreshed energy - are firing on all cylinders."

One slight tweak in the hugely popular audition shows will be more camera time for judges     Paula Abdul, Simon Cowell and Randy Jackson after singers - good, bad and ugly - leave the room. That means more snarky comments and even an occasional outburst: Cowell storms out on his colleagues in one episode.

And the singers, each season's biggest variable, for the first time are letting down their polite facade.

"I have seen the most aggressive contestants we've ever had," to the point of trashing their competitors "in front of the judges and other contestants," host Ryan Seacrest says.

One recent behind-the-scenes move, the signing of judge Cowell through 2011, is integral to Idol's ongoing success, says Steve Sternberg of media buying firm Magna Global USA. The show "will probably do close to what it did last year" in audience, he says, adding that the once-a-year format reduces the chance of viewer burnout. "People have been waiting for this: Idol's coming back."

As for the singing this season, Jackson sees a better balance between males and females, plus stronger performances by younger singers and talented big-city contestants in a competition that has been dominated by small-town and Southern singers. (Last year's winner, Carrie Underwood, was from Checotah, Okla.)

This year's performers favor a variety of genres, including country, rock, pop and older R&B, Abdul says, and some move as well as they sing. (As of late last week, ldol hadn't been able to gain broadcast clearance for some songs by inaugural Idol     Kelly Clarkson, the show's biggest star.)

Just as Idol insiders hype each year's top singers as the best yet, Cowell boasts about the least gifted: "Some could be the worst we've ever had," he says. "Listening to them is like going to the dentist."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20060116/en_usatoday/americanidolwontmesswithsuccess

AI Forum Moderator
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx