gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 10:03:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 111
Total: 111

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Debbie Edwards: Where Were You 2½ Years Ago?  (Read 4741 times)
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« on: August 31, 2005, 08:45:17 AM »

WHERE WERE YOU 2 ½ YEARS AGO???

By Debbie Edwards

I am not an established writer. But I am certainly a devoted Clay fan.  And so I am going to attempt to put down what the Clay phenomenon has meant to me.

Where were you when JFK was shot???

Where were you when Elvis died???

Where were you when the first shuttle exploded???

Where were you on Sept. 11, 2001???

Some of us can answer more of those questions than others.

I was in a classroom in grade school when JFK was shot.  The teacher wheeled in a TV for us to watch the coverage.  At our tender age, we were in shock.  The coverage continued non-stop for several days. 

I was living in Florida and a newlywed when Elvis died.  I remember all the coverage on TV, and all the speculation.  My sister-in-law had seen him at one of his last concerts. You couldn’t help but be caught up in every word.

When the first shuttle exploded, I was at home, pregnant with my third child.  He wasn’t due for another month, but the stress of the situation brought on the infamous Braxton-Hicks contractions all day.  That was the only thing on TV that day.  I walked all day,
hoping the contractions would go away.  They eventually did, and my son was born 3 weeks later.

I was working at school on Sept. 11, 2001.  As a matter of fact, I was pulling up to the school parking lot when I heard the news on the radio.  The news was passed around school all day.  My husband was away on business in Washington DC , so I will NEVER forget that day.  I heard from his boss that he was alright, but I did not hear from him until late that night.  I can still feel the stress writing this.

I would not in a MILLION YEARS compare the appearance of Clay on American Idol to any of these occurrences. And yet, so many of us can remember it just as well.

I find it amazing that I have met many SUPER Clay fans that did not know Clay from AI. But it didn’t stop them for a minute from becoming fans later. But AI was the spark that started it all for most of us. 

I did not watch AI from the very beginning.  In fact, I did not get involved in the first AI at all!!!  My daughter watched it, and suddenly, I heard the names Kelly and Justin all over the place!  I watched them on the talk shows, and soon was aware why Kelly was
the winner.  The hype was what enticed me.  And then I saw the substance.

AI2 rolled around, and I was busy in the beginning.  My daughter was watching, and a couple of weeks into it, I joined her.  That is when I discovered an adorable face, and a powerful voice that has changed my life dramatically.  It was the beginning of the
formation of the Clay Nation.

I was sitting in my living room when I first heard Clay.  WOW??? Who was this kid??? His talent far exceeded everything else on the show.  What was this I was hearing???  I was not sure, but I knew I had to have more.  So I tuned in EVERY week, and began
voting.

Clay developed so much throughout AI2.  As was said so many times, he did his homework, and improved over and over again.  I don’t need to quote all the guests that
praised him, you all know the story.  And as they offered their kudos, we were more and more drawn in.

Something special was happening, and we KNEW it in our hearts. 

AI2 ended, and many people were devastated that Clay did not win.  I was not one of them.  I knew his talent would carry him.  I remember so distinctly that on the night that Clay, Ruben, and Kimberley were waiting to hear who would go home, Ryan Seacrest told Clay that no matter what happens, his fans would follow him anywhere.  Boy, Ryan, you didn’t have any idea how right you were.

Now where do we go?????  But it was just moments until Clay was on Oprah, Leno, and so many others.  The VCRs were working overtime getting all the “clack” we could, although in the beginning, I don’t think we knew that term.  We just wanted MORE Clay.

The Independent Tour was announced, and that is how I think so many Clay fans found the websites that we now visit daily.  Someone knew all about Clay and was kind enough to share with the rest of us!!!!!!!!  I believe in my mind that was the beginning of the Clay Nation.

The Independent Tour was very special to me.  My first Claying.  I had no idea what I was in for.  I was so nervous and excited knowing I was going to see Clay, I cried through Kelly’s whole set.  And I was not disappointed a bit in what Clay brought to us.  I was in total awe, and knew for sure that he was for real!!!

Here we are, 2 years later, and there is still no explanation for the fervor and hype, except to say that Clay Aiken is an extraordinary man with exceptional talent that has won the hearts of countless numbers of fans.  I don’t think there is a person anywhere, who would even try to explain it.

Recently, I was at his concert in Indy, and "shaikeninseattle" was saying how it is so amazing that whatever it is, it is making us all feel the same thing.  Our total fandom for Clay Aiken, our love of his voice, personality, and humanitarianism.  We are devastated when he receives a bad review.  We wince when he misses a note.  We worry when he travels to Asia.  We are collective mothers or aunts that want to protect and cuddle him from the world.  We want to turn his face from the naysayers who don’t get it.  We
want to offer him more and more love and support, as he has given so much to us.

He has given us the Independent Tour, the Solo Tour of 2004, the Joyful Noise Tour, and now the Jukebox Tour.  Clay has already announced another Christmas Tour, and next summer, as well.  He knows what his fans want, and he delivers.

And where does the Clay Nation stand now???  We have fans everywhere that are on the computer at 10 AM sharp when tickets go on sale.  We go to eBay and brokers when that doesn’t work out.  NOTHING will stop us.  We record EVERY Clay performance on TV.  We download every bit of “clack” we can find.  We cannot get enough.  But what we do get is so very satisfying.

We are witnessing a talent that we hope will go down with the best names.  Why not??? This is such an extraordinary voice.  And he has just begun.  We are lucky that we have gotten on in the beginning of this!!!  We get to witness it all.

So where are we now???  The Jukebox Tour is ending, and we know we will be missing Clay.  So what now???

I say we cherish what has been, and wait for what is to come.  True Clay fans have CDs, DVDs, downloads, and montages to last a lifetime.  Clay throws us a few
crumbs every now and then with his appearances, and we are always there to catch them!!!  And we have excitement over the new CD and the upcoming concerts.  For now, Clay is promising more.  And we are waiting with baited breath what will be next!!!

And what has this all inspired???  An enjoyment of a talent not seen in decades, in my opinion.  A new fad of Clay-trekking, which has people of all ages working their way across the nation to get a glimpse of this young man that is a talent for now and the future, as well.  A new interest in giving to charities that have a need.  And friendships shared ALL over the Internet because Clay has brought us all together.

We, at Claymaniacs, have friendship that is incomparable.  We can’t wait to hear what is new with Clay, where his next concert will be, what is happening with our friends here. We set our alarms 30 minutes earlier to check in with one another to see what is going on with each other.  We travel distances to meet up with people who we have never met before.  We offer our houses for Clay-trekkers so they can get to a concert.  We worry about those in the harm’s way, having health problems, or family difficulties.  We
make countless phone calls to make sure everyone is all right.  We are Clay fans, and we worry about each other, stick together, and offer the best of ourselves to each other.  All to spread the Clay love. 

I say we are the lucky ones.  We are here when this great talent begins his career.  We are sometimes frustrated, because he doesn’t seem to get the radio play or recognition that his talent deserves.  But we stick with him…..and hope that will change. 

Clay, we LOVE YOU.  Thank you for all you have given to us and for what you have brought to our lives.  We can only look forward to so much more.  We WILL be
here for you.  And we know you will be here for us.

LOVE YOU, CLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright 2005 by Debbie Edwards. Printed with the permission of the writer. 

Debbie Edwards is woodstock854, a treasured long time member and moderator at the Claymaniacs.com forum. She is also a devoted mother and a teacher.  Email Debbie at woodstock854@yahoo.com

ILClaymate
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 09:03:31 PM »

Clapping  Great job Debbie!  Totally agree and definately couldn't have said it any better.  We are as Pamela has mentioned before, Crazy About Supporting Clay!   Clapping
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 09:04:55 PM »

This was wonderful, WoodyClapping Clapping Clapping
I totally remember what it was like hearing Clay for the first time when they aired his audtion. I was blown away and have been a fan ever since. It has been nearly a year since I began posting here and I will never regret it. The friendships I've made here are ones that will last. I love you all and I love Clay!  Huggles

The best kind of friend is the one you could sit on a porch with, never saying a word, and walk away feeling like that was the best conversation you've had.
Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
Tammy
Enthusiastic

I LOVE MY PUGS

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 03:25:35 AM »

DEBBIE
WONDERFUL!  Huggles I CAN'T IMAGINE WHAT I WOULD BE OR WOULDN'T BE DOING NOW IF CLAY NEVER CAME INTO MY LIFE.. I WAS ONE THAT FELL IN LOVE WITH HIS VOICE WHEN HE FIRST APPEARED AS THAT LITTLE GEAK BOY ON IDOL..  I GREW TO LOVE SO MUCH MORE ABOUT HIM AS THE MONTHS FOLLOWED..

I LOVE MY PUGS! :heartburst 

Baby Dust JEWELS, LIZSIS AND JJ~OUR SPARKLING GEMS FROM HEAVEN Baby Dust
Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 12:54:56 PM »

Where were you when JFK was shot???  I was a junior in high school and I remember being devastated.  I did not go march in the band for the Friday night football game.  In fact, I never found out if it was cancelled.

Where were you when Elvis died??? This did not effect me so much.  I remember being in my house and hearing it on the news.

Where were you when the first shuttle exploded??? I was at a gas station and  had gone in to pay for gas for my car, and the attendant told me it had just been on the news.  I was really upset, especially because the first teacher in space, Christa McAuliffe, had been on the shuttle.

Where were you on Sept. 11, 2001???  I believe that it was a school day and I had multiple schools (taught violin, viola and cello) and as I arrived at each school, I heard more and more.  Of course, that was all that was on TV for weeks.  Such a tragedy!

Where were you when the Federal Building in Oklahoma City was bombed?  (I'm adding this one.)  I had just pulled up to park by my first school, and my favorite talk radio host was saying that an announcement had gone out to send emergency vehicles to Oklahoma City.  As the morning went on, of course, I heard more news.  Another senseless tragedy!

When did I discover Clay?  I really "honed" in on Clay when he sang "Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch" on AI2.  It just blew me away.  I had taped it and watched it over and over again.

Woody,

This is a great essay!  You are a fantastic writer.  Thanks for taking the time to express yourself so wonderfully.

Love,
Prissy

Hug  *Prissy*   Music violin2 
Special memories of Julie, Joyce, Liz, Carol, Janet, Kris, and Debi
wordsmith1223
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2005, 01:23:06 AM »

Clapping Clapping Clapping Clapping Clapping Clapping
Great job, Debbie!
You should do this more often!
You write with conviction and honesty.

As for those important dates:
JFK - In fourth grade, sent home after pastor announced it right after lunch; some teachers were crying; my mom was misty-eyed when I got home. We watched TV the whole weekend. I will never forget JFK Jr.'s little salute, the casson, and when Lee Harvey Oswald was shot by Jack Ruby -- we were putting our coats on to go get the polio vaccine at a local grade school at the time!

Elvis -- I was getting ready to go work at my job at the mall (JC Penney jewelry department clerk) when a friend stopped by and told me.

The shuttle explosion -- We had just gone back to work at the St. Louis Globe-Democrat under new ownership two days earlier. We turned on the bracket of three TVs in the newsroom, at the time for each network, and watched that image over and over and over....so bizarre.

Sept. 11, 2001. So so so surreal. We had computer problems at the newspaper I worked at, and we were on deadline to finish an issue when the computer network crashed, and we had to wait for hours to finish the paper, so I left work around 7 a.m.. I was usually off on Tuesdays so I went home to sleep. As I was getting into bed, the radio guys were saying a plane hit the World Trade Center. I turned on the Today Show, and saw it -- my mom and sisters and I had been to the "Windows On the World" in '98. I went to sleep with these radio reports in my head, thinking I dreamed it. I woke up, and the kids were coming home from school, and we watched the second plane hit, and the towers collapse, and just were so stunned. My son went to get gas at a nearby convenience store, and we looked outside, and the lines were sooo long. It was so frightening to think what was next. I remember Peter Jennings saying, "Hug your kids." I certainly did.

And AI2, I was a fan from the minute he opened his mouth. And I'm so happy I found this Clay community after I saw Kelly and Clay in concert. It's changed my life, too.

Clay has brought all of us together, and he gets us through a lot of tough times. His maturity now is very noticeable - - I watched him on Larry King Live, and he's so grown up! I'm so PROUD OF OUR BOY.

And I'm so proud of Debbie -- who makes sure we all keep connected!

Cheers,
Lynn
woodstock854
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

"I need help!!!"

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2005, 04:10:33 AM »

Thanks Clandy, Meesa, Tammy, Prissy, and Lynn!!!   

It was a lot of fun to write, and maybe I will do it more often!  There's just so much to say about Clay!!!  Wink

Prissy and Wordy, I enjoyed reading where you were on those infamous days.  Thanks for sharing!!!  Huggles

"There's something about the way I can't take my eyes off you...  There's something about the way your lips invite..."
Julie, jj, Liz, Carol and Janet are our Guardian Angels
"My faith has conquered fear, on my way here."
OCD Support Group Founder
heater
Enthusiastic

♥ Two happy bubbles are better than one! ♥

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 05:03:21 PM »

Woody, that was awesome!  Huggles

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us.  You hit the nail on the head...it may not be explicable to outsiders, but everything you said in your article hits home with all of the true fans.

Kudos to a job well done!   Clapping Clapping

DoubleBubbleHockeyfan
Cellcert Groupie
~Tacet Twin #1 - The Mouthpiece~
Her
Enthusiastic

CLAY'S #1 FRECKLE LOVER

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2005, 06:18:10 AM »

Deb,  Clapping Clapping Clapping Clapping Clapping you gave me goosebumps...while reading this it brought to mind the Social and the wonderment of that weekend!

Official Charter Member of the OCD

He is the beloved singing teddy bear placed near a young girl's flouncy canopied bed.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx