gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:42:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 442
Total: 442

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: NEW SONG DISCUSSION  (Read 23313 times)
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #80 on: August 26, 2005, 05:53:34 AM »

Ahhhh. It's on MOAF as well. I downloaded from there.  Super Happy!!!

The best kind of friend is the one you could sit on a porch with, never saying a word, and walk away feeling like that was the best conversation you've had.
Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
Marilyn
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

THE EPITOME OF DECORUM

« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2005, 06:57:13 AM »

I HEARD IT VERY QUICKLY THIS MORNING BECAUSE I HAD TO DOWNLOAD IT BEFORE I LEFT FOR WORK. I THINK I MIGHT LIKE IT MORE THAN 1000 DAYS
I LIKED JUST YOU AND WAS SORRY THAT HE STOPPED DOING THAT AS MUCH

HE SEEMED A LITTLE TENTATIVE ON IT AT FIRST- POSSIBLY BECAUSE IT IS THE FIRST PUBLIC PERFORMANCE- I AM ANXIOUS TO HEAR IT AT NH ON SATURDAY.

BUT I LOVE BFM AND I HOPE THERE ARE A COUPLE MORE LIKE THAT ON THE ALBUM

I HOPE THEY RELEASE BFM AS A SINGLE VERY SOON!

ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!
GWENN
Enthusiastic

HE'S KILLING ME!!!!!!

« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2005, 07:06:30 AM »

I THINK THIS SONG HAS A LOT OF POTENTIAL.  I LIKE THE MELODY AND THE WORDS MAKE SENSE.  I THOUGHT THE PRESENTATION NEEDED A LOT OF WORK.  BUT, LIKE 1000 DAYS, IT WILL IMPROVE IN TIME.

CLAY IS NEVER GONNA SING JUST ROCKING SONGS.  HE SHOULDN'T BECAUSE OF HIS BEAUTIFUL VOICE. 

THIS SONG SEEMED RADIO FRIENDLY TO ME ALSO.

JUST A QUICK RESPONSE.

GWENN

HIS VOICE WRAPS AROUND MY HEART.
KEEPER OF CLAY'S CHARM
ALWAYS AND FOREVER
cjrmax
« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2005, 07:46:52 AM »

Well, I have spent the first hour or so here at work listening to the new song. Most of you know I wasn't fond of 1000 Days (to put it mildly). I only grew to like JY after going back and listening to it multiple times.

So this new song, Tears Run Dry or whatever,

I think I like it!! I really think I like it!! 

I purposely listened to an mp3 of it before watching any video because sometimes I get so distracted by the man I forget to really listen to the song! I also kept in mind it was a first performance, he's probably not even all that familiar with the song.  I would bet he's only even practiced it a few times.

That said, its catchy, sticks in your head, and the lyrics aren't bad at all - definitely not the drivel of 1000 Days! The melody is interesting enough that it's not plodding or too repetitive. His voice sounded good on it (yet a teeny bit too boy-bandish on the first verse), and I imagine as he becomes more familiar with it, more comfortable with it, he will sound amazing on it!

And - I think it could work on the radio! I just never could see JY or 1000 Days on the radio, and while I know not every song on an album ends up on the radio, its nice to hear another song that could.

I can't wait to see him sing this in Boston! (Watch - he'll switch it out again and I won't see it - along with no Stump the Band! )

It is odd how he has chosen all these angsty songs.  I'll offer a posisble explanation (for what its worth!). Clay has become a better actor and now realizes he doesn't have to have personally experienced everything he sings about to sell the song. Seriously, I do think a great singer must also be at least a good actor. A singer is like an actor who plays a role. You may not have always experienced exactly what you are singing, but you can still draw upon some emotion you have experienced and learn to "feel" the song, as an actor learns to "feel" a role.  Maybe now, with experience, Clay realizes this and now wants to choose a song becasue he likes the song and likes singing it, and not pick it so much on whether he has experienced what is being expressed in the song.

Of the 3 ballads, this is my favorite.

As to the concept of wanting more Rock!Star!Clay! - I think its obvious Clay likes performing more rockin' songs.  I am sure, despite the fact the the little preview we have seen has given us 3 ballads and 1 up-tempo song, that there will be a mix on the CD (at least I hope so!).  But all of these songs do seem to pale in comparison to some of the songs he has been singing on this tour.  But, many of these songs are classics.  You just don't get songs like ICMYLM every day.  Maybe one day, Clay will originate a song like that.  In the meantime, though, I just want songs that show growth from MOAM.  Not sure we have that yet.  I think BFM is a notch above "Invisible" and at least upon an early listen, I think TRD is a notch above most of the stuff on MOAM, but its not the progress I would like to see on a second album.

Of course, we don't even know if all these songs will even end up on the album.  I think BFM is a lock (and wouldn't be surprised if that is also the albums name), but the rest - who knows.  And we don't know the other songs (I don't think Clay nor JFL knows the other songs either at this stage!), so its waaaaaay too early to judge.  I am glad JFL has had a chance to see Clay in concert several times because she's new to him and I think now she has seen the magic of Live!Clay!.  Maybe that will help her capture some of that on the album.  That alone would show growth from MOAM and its bland, canned sound.

Except for TOUCH, of course!  Wink
claytonsmyccf
UltimateFan

« Reply #84 on: August 26, 2005, 08:24:30 AM »

I love the new song! I'm not so sure why. Maybe just 'cause its new. But it does have a cool like way to it.

P.S. I posated the full lyrics in the Tour section with the rest of the lyrics
http://www.claymaniacs.com/forums/index.php/topic,10683.new.html#new

~kimmy~ I saw clay 8-27
julie and JJ your our unique angels
FINALLY LEGAL!!!!
"... And they are funny mozzarella balls!"
stargazer
Claymaniac

« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2005, 08:46:22 AM »

Well, I went back and replayed 1000days, BFM, AND JY.
 I have not had the pleasure of hearing them in person and I think it is truly difficult to tell from my downloads what they will sound like on a well produced CD. I have not heard the last song will down load it later .
SO WITH ALL THAT SAID

I like BFM best. I think it has the most potential for being played.

I personally like Clays voice down in the lower register. I t sounds fuller and sexier.  I also think when songs are not too slow, it strains his delivery. ( I hear this in the first part of WDC.) I like him most when he is singing a smooth flowing melody. ( I KNOW HOW THE RIVER FEELS, AND SHE SAID YES). But I love him no matter what he does.

I Agree with something Pamela recently wrote ,I can't remember the thread, the songs need to be original, no covers.

LIKE FINE WINE CLAY IMPROVES WITH AGE
BEAUTIFUL INSIDE AND OUT
wvclayfan
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

Always and forever

« Reply #86 on: August 26, 2005, 09:21:10 AM »

That said, its catchy, sticks in your head, and the lyrics aren't bad at all

Clapping Clapping I woke up singing "Where do you go when the tears run dry."

No joke ...

~ Lindsay ~

"I will now rise from the ashes. Don't call me pretentious. I'm sitting here making my own rules."
claytonsmyccf
UltimateFan

« Reply #87 on: August 26, 2005, 09:48:41 AM »

I was gonna edit my post but I'll just make another post.  TRD is really sad. But I like it 'cause you can really relate to it. Just like scream out the lyrics to get what ever your feeling out.

~kimmy~ I saw clay 8-27
julie and JJ your our unique angels
FINALLY LEGAL!!!!
"... And they are funny mozzarella balls!"
cjrmax
« Reply #88 on: August 26, 2005, 10:25:37 AM »

If you're interested, here is a link to an mp3 of Tears Run Dry that has really good audio.

http://s17.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=286M1Q6CMFBW00SXGVQPYTET9P
InAweOfClay
UltimateFan

Forever a Fan

« Reply #89 on: August 26, 2005, 10:59:47 AM »

Thanks for the link. Downloading now. I really really want to LISTEN to the song without reading the lyrics.
clay_enthusiast
Clayamateur

« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2005, 11:01:58 AM »

I was at the concert in Toronto Thurs nite and it was great but a little too loud where I was sitting up front.  But I really liked The new song Tears Run Dry .  I attended the Kettering concert too and he sang 1000 days.  The Kettering concert was in a small amphitheater and the sound was great not too loud .  I liked 1000 days but the words were a bit strange to me in parts, the melody was nice and Clay really worked hard to sing it.  But I have to say that I think that I prefer The Tears Run Dry song .  It did seem like he was still getting the feel of it so it will get even better when he sings it more.  The JY song I have not heard because I have dial-up super slow speed.  I love BFM since I first heard it on GMA  if that song doesn't get airplay then no song of Clay's will get airplay.  I agree that Clay needs to get  at least half of his new cd songs to be more like BFMore because ballads are great but they won't give him a new audience.  He is a talent that is really under rated because he has the stigma of the reality show.   I was hoping for bigger crowds in Toronto because of the large population but I don't feel that the tour was promoted very much.  One radio station gave away tickets and the weekly ad for all the upcoming concerts in the venue was all I heard/saw about it.  Too bad.  The theater is huge can hold 16.000 including the lawn.  Sorry to say there was only about 5000 there.   Hope he comes back for more Laughing    THat would make a great title for his next cd!    BACK FOR MORE !     Soon please , Clay.
cjrmax
« Reply #91 on: August 26, 2005, 12:11:04 PM »

Here is the latest verison of the lyrics to Tears Run Dry (or whatever the official title may be).  They were posted over at the Clackhouse, and they brought them over from Clayversity.

Caught in a moment that won't let go
Trying to find my way out
When movin’ on is a dead end road
Might as well turn back around
And I'm in the dark
I'm completely numb
Like a shadow that’s turned to stone
Trying to figure out
How did two become one thing ever so alone

I'm broken, wide open, you shattered all we had
And I'm through with hoping, somehow I'm gonna put the pieces back
I've cried me an ocean, now there's nothin’ left inside
I'm here not knowin’, where do you go when the tears run dry

I close my eyes and I breathe you in
It’s always and ever the same
How did we end up strangers again
When I'm still dreaming your name
And I'm calling out
Are you hearing me
I don't know where I belong
Now it's so clear
Why do I wish you here when I'm already gone, ooh yeah

I'm broken, wide open, you shattered all we had

Maybe I should run away
Maybe I should disappear
Maybe I should find a place where no one knows I'm there
Anywhere but here

I'm broken, wide open, you shattered all we had (all we had)
When tears run dry, oh...ooh, oh...ooh
InAweOfClay
UltimateFan

Forever a Fan

« Reply #92 on: August 26, 2005, 02:49:35 PM »

The new download sure makes a difference. Tears Run Dry is a keeper. I hope he does his own backup on the CD; that run at the end will be even more beautiful if he does.
lorilovesgolf
UltimateFan

« Reply #93 on: August 26, 2005, 03:35:33 PM »

Canfly172's mp3 of Tears Run Dry is beautiful - its a much better quality mp3 and Clay sounds awesome on it.  I like it.  I really like it.

"Some men walk and find their place in the world...
Some men show the world their walk."
Author Unknown.
Official Charter Member of OCD
stargazer
Claymaniac

« Reply #94 on: August 26, 2005, 08:49:21 PM »

Downloading TRD now ,will take forever so I shall go lurking about.

BEAUTIFUL INSIDE AND OUT
stargazer
Claymaniac

« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2005, 05:10:55 AM »

Okay I like Tears Run Dry it is a very nice ballad with a lot of angst.

Favorite remains BFM

I think I remember Clay stating somewhere that he wants to do more upbeat songs on MOAM 2.
He must have forgotten, because there is a lot of heart breaking angst in the songs so far.

edited out white space.

BEAUTIFUL INSIDE AND OUT
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #96 on: August 27, 2005, 11:32:44 PM »

I can't sleep.

So, I listened to Tears Run Dry a couple of times again.  There are so many directions they could go with this song - someone on another board mentioned an acoustic version, which would be lovely, but I can also hear it with some wailing guitars. 

The flavor of a song is what normally happens in the studio.  But I hope they'll give it a try with Andy cutting loose on stage as well.  Let's face it, guitars are what give a song a "rock" sound, and this one is very reminiscent to me of the great 80s power ballads.  I mean this in a good way, because even so, the song still sounds current and fresh. 

I love the subtle presentation in the first verse ..."caught in a moment that won't let go"... with the piano and the "wah wah" or whatever that guitar sound is called.  But I think from there, the guitar sound should be broadened to include some actual riffs.

I think then it should ramp up a little bit in intensity at the first chorus.  This song is about loss, confusion, pain and then, resolution.  The first verse is contemplative; he's just numb, still trying to figure things out.   When the chorus comes, it's a verbal expression of his pain; he's broken, etc.  He's speaking directly to the cause of the pain "...you shattered all we had..." Not anger so much, but a certain intensity would really convey the emotion of the song.

Some said Clay's voice was raspy, or strained or whatever in Toronto where he debuted the song.  Actually, I liked the sound of it on this song.  Sorry if it was painful though!  The raspiness gave sort of a world-weariness to his tone that really fit with the song.  Clay's voice doesn't have to be "perfect" all the time.  I would rather know he is singing from his heart as an expression of emotion than from his brain as a "performer;" and if that means he sounds raspy sometimes, then so be it.  Sure, it's nice when he nails everything and the glory notes too.  But those times when he is singing for himself, as opposed to singing for us?  Those are my favorite times. 

The second verse should build, up to the "ooh ooh ooh yeah" at the end.  I love that part!  Very emotive. 

I think the bridge is very powerful as well.  He wails on that verse, and I hope that IF this one makes the CD, all the layers of background voice are him.  It's a good song overall - the melody is beautiful and lyrics are thoughtful.

Song endings are always problematic to me.  I love the vocal run at the end, but I don't care much for the long drawn out fadeaway type endings.  I love the "oh oh ohs" though.  I'm assuming they will try different things with the ending until they find what works.  I noticed tonight that they didn't draw it out so much, so they are already tweaking it a bit.

This song is more mature than 1000 Days, and more cohesive than Just You.  I like it. 
wvclayfan
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

Always and forever

« Reply #97 on: August 27, 2005, 11:59:33 PM »

Let's face it, guitars are what give a song a "rock" sound, and this one is very reminiscent to me of the great 80s power ballads.  I mean this in a good way, because even so, the song still sounds current and fresh.

wave Hello fellow night owl!

After watching tonight's (well, yesterday's) version, I had the same thought. You very rarely hear a power ballad today. Sure, there are ballads, but nothing compared to those we listened to in the 80's. Tastes in music are always changing! Although, my taste for Clay's music will never shift! Laughing Bubblegum pop was all the rage several years ago, but that has now shifted to an edgier, rock style. Why couldn't those power ballads we all love make a come back? Depending on the way it is recorded, why couldn't it start with Clay?

This song is more mature than 1000 Days, and more cohesive than Just You.  I like it. 

Clapping Absolutely!

~ Lindsay ~

"I will now rise from the ashes. Don't call me pretentious. I'm sitting here making my own rules."
paclayfan
Claymaniac

« Reply #98 on: August 28, 2005, 06:50:24 AM »

Of the new songs, BFM is my favorite, by far. I would say Tears... (How's that, Pamela?) would be 2nd. I think it needs a little tweaking, but it's pure Clay. I like the lyrics and music. Both are radio friendly.  I'm hoping he sings both at the Borgata on Thursday. I can't wait!!!

Just You is okay. I'll need more time for this one.

I find myself skipping over 1000 Days everytime it comes on in my downloads. It drags on and on.

There's my 2 cents! 

Deanna in PA

Hey JFL, .....If you're reading this....

I'd love Clay's new album to be a mix of new music, with a bonus CD of ICMYLM, Unchained Melody, and Quiana's IWALY. Just a thought!!
cjrmax
« Reply #99 on: August 29, 2005, 04:37:00 PM »

I heard Tears live last night in Boston.  He did sound raspy, his voice cracked a few times, but actually that kind of worked.  What I didn't like was that it is too much in his upper register.  Especially the first verse.  It just seemed too high, a little too much helium-voice Clay.  If they could just bring it down a smidge.....

Pamela, I loved your suggestions for the guitar work.  That would be fabulous!!!!  I would also like to see a bit more wailing vocally.  For some reason on the chorus or the bridge or both this song invites wailing.  Powerful wailing.  The wailing of pain.

Pamela wrote:
This song is more mature than 1000 Days, and more cohesive than Just You.  I like it.
This hit the nail on the head for me when comparing the 3 ballads.  I just really, really like Tears a lot.  The lyrics, the melody, the emotion we all know Clay can put into a song like this..............  I can even see it on the radio if the final arrangement is right.

I hope this makes the album cut.  1000 Days I would skip if it were on the CD (unless someone did a total lyric overhaul - then maybe I would give it a listen!).  I feel as if JY has promise, but needs work.  Tears has all the elements of a great song. Now, if only they can pull all those elements together on the CD!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx