gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:49:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 297
Total: 297

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NEW SONG DISCUSSION  (Read 23321 times)
sjlogghe
SuperFan

Clay's Geography Tutor

« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2005, 10:02:43 AM »

Okay, the lyrics keep changing for Just You.  Now the small bridge is different!  Don't know when it changed, but it used to be "Free me, from these chains", or something like that.  And now, it's "Can you, stop the pain, baby".  Interesting . . . . Christie has a point about the Aiken Random Lyrics generator, but I honestly think there's more to it than that this time.  I honestly think he either wrote the song or had a hand in writing it, and now he's just testing out lyrics to see which ones sound better.  Quit teasing us Clay, you know that anything you sing we will love!!!!

Faith is the substance of all things hoped for . . .
CAFan5230
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2005, 03:07:21 PM »

This is a beautiful song with great potential.  The two biggest areas of concern are the lyrics which are hard to make sense of, and the live concert version where the backing overpowers him.  This is what I would recommend.

Lyrics
The lyrics are very confusing, hard to know what the song is about.  I would have the verse be the setup, the backstory of what this is about - the FACTS.  Then the chorus should be the EMOTION, how he feels about whatever it is, his wife dying or .....  He sings about angels coming to win her soul, so she's dying?  Maybe the words then are "they will know" not "they don't know" - as in the angels will know he refuses to let her go with them.  The bridge I totally give up on, can't make out one word, however, the bridge needs to be a complete departure, a total "let go" emotionally, this would be the heavy battle with the angels, if I'm right as to what the song is about. 

A thought:  maybe the producer, on the day that a new song is to be tested, could post the correct lyrics on the fanclub website because the lyrics are hard to hear in live concert, and maybe even include a short recap of what the song is about. 

Entrance
Needs a good "entrance" so immediately a listener hears the 1st 4 bars, they know what song is coming (an example of a grand entrance is 50 Cent's "Candy Shop," you know immediately what's coming, and it happens to be a rap song, something very different).  The entrance can be anything that catches attention.  For a beautiful ballad, I would try a classical entrance, some strings.  If this is about angels, maybe just harp.  It has to be unique to catch attention.

Use Singer's Vocal Skills
A great song will use all this singer's exceptional vocal skills, the power, purity, his range, control, and interpretation.  Make sure backing doesn't overpower him, he shouldn't have to sing flat out to be heard, especially in a ballad, his soft, breathy tones are so beautiful, he has to have that vocal room for interpretation.  Juice up the voice track.  Backing is a little too heavy, maybe mix in an orchestra, make it softer, more supporting, it needs to support, complement the singer, not drown him out.

Bridge
The bridge is really strange with the backup singers taking the really high notes.  I would try reversing that.  The singer needs to do those, lower the key if necessary, but this is HIS song, that's HIS bridge - maybe he does, and he's just being drowned out, hard to tell.  Or, I would try this, see how this works, have a string take the high notes and the singer harmonize in ..... I'd have to hear that to see if I liked it, but I would push the envelope and try it out.  Oh dear, I just heard the backup singers hit that high note.... no, interesting idea, but no, too screechy.  Maybe wrong singers for this song?  If Hayley Westenra (a pure soprano) sang that, would I like it?  Maybe.  Another interesting idea that could be tried.  It's about the right sound for the song, and it is a pop song, so it shouldn't be too classical, so, maybe back to my first idea.  But I still feel after about 500 listens that the backing is just too loud, I would try a band/orchestra mix and tone down the backup singers, way down, let the singer shine on the high notes.  It's out of balance, whatever backing is chosen, it needs to be carefully mixed. 

Chorus
Melodically, a beautiful song, but no real difference between verse and chorus - same tempo, same beat, same rhythm, very soft, comforting, flowing back and forth.  I would do something different to make the chorus stand out, maybe pick up the tempo, change the backing, something, otherwise it drags a bit being all the same, and it needs to be stronger in the verse where he's taking a stand with the angels, not comforting at this point, here it needs to be aggressive, maybe pick up the tempo here, make the beat a little heavier (stronger, more insistent, not louder). 

Here's a radical idea I wish I could try out.  The last line of the chorus, this singer has such beautiful rich low notes, try taking that line down, way down, making it sound protective, possessive "you're mine, all mine" for the 1st chorus.  Then maybe the repeat of the chorus where that line is the launch pad for the bridge, take it up, way up, this is the build-up for him hitting the high notes in the bridge, this line needs to EXPLODE into the bridge.  Listening to it again, I would even take "won't let go, won't let go" much lower down into those rich low notes, make it soft, comforting, strong. 

Final wrap
What about going real low into those gorgeous low notes again?  Otherwise it sounds just like the rest of the song.  Take it real low, like he's wrapping his arms around her and pulling her in, safely "you're mine, all mine."  Oh boy, I'm so freaking out just at the thought of him doing this......  I better stop here.....

Note:  Does anyone know for sure if our comments here are being read by the producer - I found this thread a little hard to find!  I am a fanclub member but there's a glitch in my registration so I can't post over there :(  and I do see, both there and on other boards, a lot of people don't like this song.  This is live performance, not a finished studio-mix, not a finished product, and it's being heard at the end of a night of all-time classics being sung.  BIG SIGH.  I think all 3 songs have potential, these are not the finished versions and I'm disappointed to see so many people throwing them out so quickly rather than suggesting a fix, a polish.
Please bump so that hopefully the person who should see this, does.  Thanks!
cjrmax
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2005, 03:16:46 PM »

I posted this over at Critical Mass but I thought I bring it over here too.

1000 Days.  Well, it seemed like 1000 days for him to get through that song!!

I listened - twice last nights and twice today.

Me no likey.

I take into account he sounded very rough and the drums were annoying the s--t out of me and whoever murdered that one note made me cringe, but.....

The lyrics are banal and trite. The melody is plodding (or was that just the damn drum??). It was very monotonous. It sounded like something that kid Jesse McCartney would sing - something a teenager might sing at a high school dance - not something a HOT mature 26 year old man should be singing.

I give it a thumbs down.

I was gradually beginning to like JY (although I would kill for as clear a recording of that as I had of this new one). Musically it was certainly more interesting and showed off his voice more, except for the way he strained for those high notes! That straining bothered me because it not only sounded bad, but it couldn't be good for his voice. I wondered, though, if he were not so much straining for the note as he was straining to be heard above the band. Anyway, I just felt meh about JY at first, but its growing on me. It doesn't stick with me, though, like BFM does.

I really, don't like "1000 Days" Not sure even tweeking this will help it.  This song is beneath him musically and lyrically.  Clay is a mega talent and he deserves better material than this.  He is not only one of the great voices of our time, but one of the greatest lyrical interpreters.  This song sounds like something AI would have picked out for him.  It shows no growth, no ability.  I sincerely hope it doesn't make the cut and isn't representative of the quality of the songwriters he is working with on this album.  I know great songs and great songwriters aren't a dime a dozen, but Clay should have better than this.

I did listen to a speeded up version of it that has been posted on various boards and it does improve the melody somewhat.  But the lyrics???  Please!
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2005, 12:08:31 AM »

Thank you all for your comments about the new songs.

A link to this thread was sent to Jaymes Foster-Levy via PM at the fan club site.  I would hope that although reading just that site is more convenient, that she and all of Team Clay realize there are lots of fans who buy CDs and go to concerts that do not belong to the fan club, or cannot post on that site for whatever reason.

So please, continue to post your comments and I'll do everything possible to make sure they know we're here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it was Frank Zappa who said, "Writing about music is like dancing about architecture."

It's so subjective.  I think Clay deserves the very best songs because he is an extraordinary interpreter of a beautiful song.  But then, there's radio.

Because I've been on the road to Greenville and busy visiting with friends who came here to NC to see Clay this weekend, I was a little behind on my reading.  I had no idea what anyone thought of the newest song, 1000 Days, or Nights, whichever is the official title.

I was at the concert in Cary, and saw the song performed live.  I couldn't hear the lyrics at the time, except for the chorus.  The backing vocals were not complimentary, the band was a little generic sounding in their accompaniment and Clay was still feeling out the song, all of which could be expected on the very first performance. So, all I can really speak to personally at this point is the feeling I got from hearing the song performed live.

I was quite caught up in the anthemic feel of the chorus and the passion with which the song was delivered.  From my fifth row seat (thanks again Sunny!), it was evident that the delivery was a powerful one.   

But, I feel the very beginning is weak compared to the powerhouse chorus, and the very end of the song doesn't provide a satisfactory resolution.  The beginning and ending don't fit well with the rest of the song, particularly the chorus, but the chorus itself has a powerful hook.   

After a quick lyric check, thanks to Clara's post in the JBT forum, it does seem that the lyrics are a little .....ambiguous.   Paranoid

I need to listen again.
GWENN
Enthusiastic

HE'S KILLING ME!!!!!!

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2005, 05:29:45 AM »

1000 DAYS---NOT SURE ABOUT THE SONG.  I LIKE THE MELODY AND I DEFINITELY LIKE THE FASTER VERSION BETTER.  I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE LYRICS MEAN.  I THINBK THE SONG HAS POTENTIAL, BUT IT IS NOT GREAT RIGHT NOW.  ERICA LIKED IT.  SHE THOUGHT IT REMINDED HER OF KELLY.  NOT SURE WHY.  I AM HOPING HE SINGS THIS SONG AT WT TOMORROW.  I ALWAYS GET MORE OUT OF LIVE CLAAY THAN ON DOWNLOAD.  YEAH, RIGHT.

GWENN

HIS VOICE WRAPS AROUND MY HEART.
KEEPER OF CLAY'S CHARM
ALWAYS AND FOREVER
CAFan5230
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2005, 10:08:35 AM »

Thanks Pamela for letting us know that Ms. Foster-Levy very likely will see our comments too.  That's encouraging.   

I have to say that I really feel for Clay right now.  He goes out there every night and sings his brains out in these new songs, that is very apparent from what I've seen, and while I think constructive criticism, like I see on this board, is helpful to both him and his producer, the kind of comments I have seen the past few days, let's just say "elsewhere" .....  well, I just feel really bad about it and I hope they are not getting discouraged.     

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's the producer's job to take this raw material and turn it into a great song we love, that's why she's looking for feedback, ideas, opinions.  These songs are all not only fixable, they are beautiful, potential hits, I think, and I'm guessing she does too or Clay wouldn't be singing them in the first place. 

I would like to see the lyrics on "1000 Days" cleaned up so that they make more sense, but I'm reminded that many songs, including hits and classics, have lyrics that make little sense.  My favorite in that category is "Just Show Me How to Love You" (http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb402.html), a beautiful song sung by Sarah Brightman and Jose Cura.  It's musically very powerful and beautiful, you think such a romantic song, check the link for the lyrics, scroll down past the Italian to see the English translation......  LOL.  (I'm still hoping one day Clay will sing a song in Italian......)
clayharmony
ANN News Team
SuperFan

« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2005, 11:36:58 AM »

1000 Days Song Commentary

Even though the download I have contains a significant amount of static, I immediately liked this song.  It has an upbeat sound and an easy slow dance tempo. 

Melodic Line.   1000 Days has a strong musical line and it flows well with the lyrics.  It is memorable too.  With no effort at all, I could sing along, upon repeated hearings.

Instrumentation.   I do hope that this will change when the song is recorded.  As I mentioned in my initial commentary, I think that ballads in particular could enjoy lovely tonal color and this song is no exception.

Lyrics.  Overall, I think the lyrics to this number are pleasant albeit not terribly insightful.
However, I think they might easily be characterized as unduly saccharine and superficial.  Additionally, some ambiguities exist, notably “and if the angels came.”  Just why are angels coming, anyway?  That being said, I am quite fond of this line, “In my world you’re the sun that shines and lights the evening sky.”  I believe these lyrics could be effectively edited… modified to incorporate a bit more substance.

Rhythm and Tempo.  I have read on the boards that there is a faster version of this piece out and about.  I have yet to listen to that rendition, however I think the tempo is effective if it remains at a slow dance speed.  I think the song could be punched up with some rhythmic variation, perhaps in the bridge and in the opening bars.

Arrangement.  In its current state, this arrangement seems thin and predictable.  Is it possible to move away from the typically excessive use of tonic, subdominant, dominant chord progressions heard on the radio today? Some of the arrangements I have loved over the years were generated from classically trained musicians who became standard bearers in popular music.  Is that the missing element here?  Remember the lush arrangements produced by Nelson Riddle for Frank Sinatra?  Or, how about Henry Mancini’s body of work?  It ranged from “Moon River, “Peter Gunn” to sophisticated jazz. Has anyone else yearned for that kind of production for Clay?

Vocals.   I think this song has the potential to showcase Clay’s glorious voice if it is recorded simply, so that he is not straining to sing over the band.

Genre. With most Clay fans, I’ve been really curious if Clay’s new CD will fall into a specific genre or be eclectic in its mix of songs.  While Clay ‘s name is becoming more frequently included with such Adult Contemporary artists as Michael Buble and Josh Groban, I see him possessing the versatility to have a place in country and Christian music environments too.  In the latter two genre’s, I think Clay would meet with substantially less resistance to his value system.

Ultimately, I hope that Clay is given the freedom to generate a CD that he loves and from his message on the OFC board, it seems he is on his way. [I also hope that he is liberated from the battles he withstood to make MOAM.  Doesn’t he have a few more years of some level of involvement, however reduced, with 19E?  Perhaps those relationships contributed to his LA exit.  If you are reading this Clay, when you have to come to LA, stay in Pasadena…it is a caring community, really!)]

edited to fix code

Clay's jois de vivre gladdens my heart;
his spiritual consciousness and musical gifts bring  harmony to my soul.

What is beautiful is a joy for all seasons...

Life is a Song ~ Love is the Music
redhead
Clayamateur

« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2005, 02:38:22 PM »

1000 days
Not being an expert on music, I spoke with Randy, Paula, and Simon
Randy:  Yo Yo Yo.  What's up Clay?  You know, dawg... I'm just not lovin' the song. that said, Dawg, you really sang it.  Good job.
Paula:  Hi, Claay.  You are just looking so handsome.  (gives Randy a dirty look). It's got a beautiful melody, but I kind of agree with the lyrics. Who cares about the song.   You sing so beautifully and with such emotion.  these people all love you.  You know I do too(Paula winks at Clay, who turns 8 shades of red).
Simon:  You're capable of better ROFLMAO

Bad redhead.   Naughty Sorry, I couldn't resist.  Seriously, I was kind of so-so the first time I heard.  I do think it's got a beautiful melody.  I thought the lyrics could have been better. It is definitely growng on me. I saw lyrics before hearing the song, and probably would have liked it better had it been the other way around. I think  this song does have some really good potential.  Once again, please be sure that the music enhances the vocal and not compete or drown it out.  Bring out the emotion in his voice and in the music. 

As far as Just You. I'm just really lovin' it.   I wondered what it would sound like if he tested an acoustic version. 

I played all three for my friend last night ( also likes Clay but can't afford to go to a show).  she loved all three.  I told her I liked the first two better than the last, but it was growing on me.   She agreed the other two were stronger, but really loved the melody, and thought it would be great with a little work. 

ETA   I loved MOAM.   I think Clay has really great instincts.  JFL  made an excellent  decision coming on tour.  She's seeing how great he is live, and will hopefully be able to draw some of that to the album when they record.   While I think it's great that they're asking for our input, I'm trusting them to decide for themselves how it should go.  I love the ballads(nobody can do it better), I like it when he rocks, and sometimes I just want a good, fun  song.  Bottom line, if he makes the kind of music he's made so far, only better, I 'm sure it'll be fantastic and I'll be thrilled.   I'm trusting them to do what they know is right.  That's why they're where they are and that's why I'm on my front porch.

Feet on the ground; listening to the star
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2005, 05:18:20 PM »

redhead....  ROFLMAO

Thank you all again for sharing your thoughts here.

I haven't really read what any other forums have had to say today, I was busy, and it doesn't really matter to me anyway.  I've listened to all three new songs a couple of times this evening, and have a couple of thoughts.

While it's true that Clay deserves beautiful songs with meaningful lyrics and powerful melodies, I honestly wouldn't be as excited about a CD that contained only songs with meaningful lyrics and powerful melodies, because while those types of songs are often moving and heartfelt, sometimes you just want to shake your groove thing, or pump your fist in the air, or sing your heart out.  If you know what I mean.

Yes, I'm being completely serious.

So, with that in mind, Back for More is still my favorite.  I would love to hear it with a little faster tempo, and with a little more attitude.  Not a pissed off attitude necessarily, but a frustrated attitude.  Because really, haven't we all felt that way?  Heard that particular song on the radio that reminds us of someone, or something that happened?  That song that drives you crazy every time you hear it, but you want to hear it anyway?  Sometimes you even go buy the CD just for that one song, and then you play it over and over until it drives you crazier?  You play it in your car and turn it up so loud the person in the car beside you gives you a funny look?  And while you sing along, you are banging your fist on the steering wheel and driving faster than you mean to?

Drowning in the melody, makes me feel like I can't breathe.
I can't save myself
The only time I'm close to you is when I hear the song I'm addicted to.
So I keep coming back for more, I keep coming back for more

Or maybe that's just me.  But this song, Back for More - I relate to it.  It means something to me.  I love the music, the lyrics and the feeling.

Now, Just You.  I am not too hip to the melody.  But the lyrics - love them. 

Now that you've gone I'm standing all alone
Because your heart, it was my home
Will I get by without you
The only one who filled my body and soul
Another day will come and go without you

Heartwrenching!  How many of us (girls) have not felt the pain and anguish of lost or unrequited love?  This song needs a simpler melody; the current one is too grandiose. 

Powerful lyrics call for a simple melody.  Simple lyrics call for a powerful melody.  In my opinion.

Look at the brilliant ballads in Clay's own show.  Unchained Melody - simple lyrics, soaring melody. Solitaire - simple lyrics, soaring melody. Bridge Over Troubled Water - powerful lyrics, simple melody.  

Just You, is too "busy" musically.  Keep the lyrics, simplify the melody and a new classic could be born.

1000 Days...am I the only one that likes this song?  *Looks around*  Oh good I'm not! 

I like the melody.  It has an anthemic quality, which makes it an easy singalong song. Which I believe makes it memorable.  It's the chorus that is on repeat in my brain right now, and while it's true that the lyrics are sort of oblique, it's not usually lyrics that matter to me in a song like this.  The bridge is uncomfortable to me. 

I consider Back for Me to be a pop song, which is why the tempo needs to be revved up a little.

Just You feels like a ballad, which is why the lyrics need to be given more focus by simplifying the melody. 

And 1000 Days gives me a strong power ballad vibe, which to my mind means the melody must take center stage over the lyrics, but lyrics need to be punched up a little bit to create a more cohesive statement.

I'm no lyricist, but the words, as they are, sound impersonal.  Just some small changes would make the song more personal....

I see you, and my world starts spinning out of control
Stars light up and then fall
For you....
So what’s a man like me supposed to do
If I gave you the moon would you see me
I’m right here beside you

*chorus*

In my eyes you’re the sun that shines and warms the evening sky
Filling up all my senses
Come on, come to me and I will never let you down
And in this love we’ll drown,
This I promise you.
’Cause I won't be held down

*chorus*

*etc and whatever*

All these songs are good, but not great.   I love that they are all love songs, of a sort.  I think they are all worth doing whatever needs to be done to make them super deluxe and not just good.   The job of a producer to do whatever it takes, and I have no doubt that is what Jaymes Foster-Levy will do. 
CAFan5230
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2005, 06:08:42 PM »

Here's the fix for the bridge, the arc where the backup girls sing that high note and we can't hear Clay at all .....

Try having them sing that an octave higher.  Not a hard pop sound, throw it up classical style, but not vibrato, very pure, and tone down the band so we can hear the singers behind Clay and hear him hit his note.  The backup singers should be a soft, high, pure sound, not a screech, and backup for Clay, not drowning him out.  This way they don't crash into him, they get out of his way, they complement him, he has the vocal room to do his stuff. Try it, this might just work. 

The more I'm hearing this song, the more I'm loving it, there's so much that can be done with it, so much that can be tried....
tlb
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2005, 05:49:17 AM »

I would like to say that I think all three songs are good. These songs showcase how much he has matured. Since I only have the d/l to go by I think he is doing a great job! Whatever songs the new album contains will be a product of love from Clay and we should embrace it.

caramel131
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2005, 05:44:33 AM »

I've taken a listen to the download of 1000 days and I think with different instrumentation this good be a great songs.   I liked the song and the way Clay interprets it, but it seems as if the music was dragging.  The drum beat sounds really amateurish and sluggish.   
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2005, 09:09:27 PM »

I've taken a listen to the download of 1000 days and I think with different instrumentation this good be a great songs.   I liked the song and the way Clay interprets it, but it seems as if the music was dragging.  The drum beat sounds really amateurish and sluggish.   
Hey caramel!

Do you like "1000 Days" better than "Just You?"

I think everyone's general consensus is that "Back for More" is the favored song of the three at this point!
caramel131
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2005, 08:47:30 AM »

Hey Pamela,

At the moment, I like 1000 days a tad more than I like JY.  I think all three songs could be a lot better with different instrumentation and if sung in a different key.

With Back for More, this could definitely be a hit on the radio.  It just needs to be punched up a little more.  I don't have a problem with the instruments on this one.  If you take a listen to Kelly Clarkson "Since you Been Gone."  It's not a great song, but its very catchy.  This is what Clay needs to be recognized on radio, assuming that his goal is to reach out to more than just his fan base.  Kelly's CD has been out for 8 months and she is still selling over 50,000 CDs per week. 

As I stated before, JY needs to be sung in a richer voice (if this makes sense).  I don't know keys.  I think this song should be more  in the vain of a Josh Groban song.  There needs to be an instrument change.

1000 days caught my interest, but the background music is very sluggish.  Maybe someone who went to the concert can say whether it sound sluggish live.

Just a question, other than Savon (I might be spelling his name incorrectly) is this a new band on this tour?

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2005, 09:43:34 PM »

Just a question, other than Savon (I might be spelling his name incorrectly) is this a new band on this tour?
Actually the band is the same except for the drummer, and a new keyboardist was added as well. 
Clarence Allen on keyboards, Daniel Pearson on bass,(both played on solo tour), Andy Abad on guitar (played on Joyful Noise Tour), S'von is still on piano and musical director, and Jacob plays some sax. 

This show must really be a test for the musicians though.  Lots of transitions in style, tempo and mood, as well as the frenetic pace.

I understand what you mean about the sluggishness of the instrumentation on 1000 Days.  Some of the problem is the sound quality of the bootlegs.  The sound is a bit more brilliant live. 

Good comments, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts!

wil555
SuperFan

I'm the 17 year old guy

« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2005, 09:18:05 AM »

So far, I've only had time to listen to 1000 Days. It made me almost fall out of my seat.

I wish that was a good thing.

Don't get me wrong, the first three minutes are good. But WHAT HAPPENED at like 3:05. SOMEone goes for a high glory note and oh maaaaaaaaaaan. It makes me cringe. They just didn't hit the note, and it sounds TERRIBLE, to be perfectly blunt. It's not a bad song, it's pretty good, but man, it shows how one bad note can just make everything fall off the table.

I still have to check out the other songs, since I won't be able to catch him on this tour.

-Greg...Clayguy-
Are YOU Claying it forward?
828 - Greg+Clay=LOVE
HavinaClayAffair
Enthusiastic

« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2005, 12:58:37 PM »

Ok- I feel a bit more "qualified" (ha ha!!) to comment on these songs now. I have seen Back For More and 1000 Days in concert once and numerous downloads of all three.

Back For More- Hit! Thumbs up! Keep the drum and guitar and piano at the forefront. Rock it out! Clay can handle this song..no matter how hot it gets! Keep the beat strong through out. Keep the "nasally" out except on the "radio" part...makes it sound like "old time radio"- I like that! There is no stretching for notes or pitch on this song. It is just a great song with a great beat. Good for radio- good and catchy words.

The first time I heard this on GMA, I was SHOCKED that I loved it so much after the first listen as Invisible had to grow on me. THIS ONE! No way!!

I LOVE the "SMACK!!" to RADIO! How can they NOT play this and be a business that is to be respected- cough, cough. If a few other names or groups were to record this song, with no changes to the song, it WOULD be played. I thought it was a smart and brilliant move on Clay's part. The words are what caught my attention first. How better to get someones attention at RADIO than to write and sing a song about  a song on THE RADIO!!! Brilliant.

Just You- I like the song. I like its words and melody. What I didn't care for was the "Key" it was sung in. It needs to be deeper. Like "I Know How The River Feels".. Let them HEAR Clay's many facets to his voice. He can keep the chorus strong and punchy, but in a bit lower register.....Add a kick - a@@ note or two- that is all he needs. One or two notes to get peoples attention. Please - if this song is recorded, bring it DOWN in pitch, key- whatever the term. I like the slower words to the faster, harder beat of the music. It brings the song out and I can see more guys listening to the song IF IT IS LOWER!!

Just my opinion....

1000 days-.....hmmm.....first heard it live at Ohio State- no previous downloads. Listening to it as I type this. More quiet music needed until the chorus, then let it rip!! It seems that is the intention, but live, it is harder to do that. I like this song... a lot. I don't mind the "All over" feel of the song- to me that is what makes it different- I really like the "swoopy" electronic sound in it also- like in "Without You"- that unexpected sound that creeps in there to keep it up to date sounding, more funky. I personally don't think that many changes are needed to be done to this song....just keep it "softer".. more "whisperery" until the chorus.

And with that my friends...I will wait patiently until next weeks concerts and maybe more song previews. Can't wait for ther new CD- If these songs are the "flavor" of the cd- Thank you Clay.

Rocky ballady songs- just for fun songs for a few with a great beat- just what the doctor ordered. Like "Journey" and "Def Leppard" type sounds...with the words and touch of an "Air Supply" or a "Chicago"-type song- I still think "Richard Marx" when I think of a song sound for Clay- There are others that I can edit later but his sound is what most reminds me of what I hope Clay achieves.

Either way- I will buy it- more than 1, that CAN be assured.

Lora
clayharmony
ANN News Team
SuperFan

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2005, 10:06:29 PM »

1000 Days Update

Now that I have heard this song clearly, and I hasten to add passionately, sung by Clay (listen to the Clio clack from Filomena...), I adore this song!  He seems to connect deeply with this one and "I was feeling it"...to borrow Randy's props!  I imagine it will be just amazing live...only a week until my concert at the Star Plaza.   Super Happy!!!

Clay's jois de vivre gladdens my heart;
his spiritual consciousness and musical gifts bring  harmony to my soul.

What is beautiful is a joy for all seasons...

Life is a Song ~ Love is the Music
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2005, 10:15:23 PM »

I wish that was a good thing.

Hi Greg!

I know of which you speak.  That first download made my ears bleed.  But they have changed it up a little bit, and now there's a better version we can study.  This is a USendIt link - left click to get the download.

See if this is better to you - it's from the Clio MI concert Saturday night.

http://s56.yousendit.com/d.php?id=1RBHQKYD9EE8G14MSYCBT93TWS
claymate1546
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2005, 12:11:38 PM »

I think "Back for More" sounds perfect for radio. Catchy, fun to sing along to, and gets totally stuck in your head!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx