gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:49:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 320
Total: 320

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NEW SONG DISCUSSION  (Read 23312 times)
lorilovesgolf
UltimateFan

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2005, 03:38:37 PM »

...too busy downloading the whole package!  Purple Banana

CLAYMANIACS RULE!

JAYNE - YOU CAN DOWNLOAD HIS WHOLE PACKAGE ???    ROFLMAO

"Some men walk and find their place in the world...
Some men show the world their walk."
Author Unknown.
Official Charter Member of OCD
redhead
Clayamateur

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2005, 06:29:51 PM »

Hi, everybody.

Can't resist the urge to toss in my 2 cents worth.   

Back For More:

I watched on GMA.  Loved it.  I could see this song all over the radio, assuming that programmers can get over their bias.  The only problem is that if they  play it 6 times during the work day, I'll never sleep.!  It'll be stuck in my head all night!!!!

I love the lyrics.  Most people at one point time have heard a song that invokes those feelings. I wonder how many fans feel those lyrics fit how they feel about him.  You know, The only way you'll ever be close in any way is to hear him on the radio?   Laughing Couldn't you just imagine him laughing at the irony there? ROFLMAO  Okay, 3 hours of sleep makes me a little goofy.
Seriously, the only criticism I'd have is that the band did tend to overpower his voice. 

Just You:

I loved this one as well.  It's a little more difficult to tell about the melody and give too much criticism, since the sound quality was pretty bad.  From what I could tell, I did like the melody. The band once again seemed a little overpowering at times.  I want to  really be able to hear him on this one.  The inflections (?) the pain in his voice, etc.  Instrumentation? Considering the download quality and that I'm no expert, I'll  just say that I would like for the instrumentation to really reflect the heartbreak of the lyrics.   For me the lyrics do a good job of portraying what it feels like when you've lost "the one."   It doesn't necessarily have to be the someone was dumped song.  It could be due to death or other circumstances. I like that little bit of openness to interpretation.  I did find this on the clayboard and like the lyric change:

[Night after night I dream you're in my arms
Because your love can heal the scars of a wounded soul
Dance with me, baby we'll touch the sky
We'll reach the mountains, oh so high
And then we'll fly away
I never thought that it could be this way

to:

Night after night I dream you're in my arms
Because your love can heal the scars of an empty soul
Reach for me, through all the time and space
No one else can take your place
Cant face this world alone./i]

Pamela wrote:
Here's some food for thought - go look at the lyrics to "Just You."

Does anyone else think Clay may have had a hand in writing this one?

I don't know nothin about nothin, but for some reason that thought jumped into my head the first time I heard it. Your thoughts and details please?????

Finally, I understand that he has blogged again (wonder if that word is in Webster's yet) and is talking about the album, these songs and such.  I know it's know not cool to quote him, but can you give those oddballs amongst us who are not yet fan club members an idea of what everybody's talking about?   Pretty please?

Feet on the ground; listening to the star
klins
Claynewbie

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2005, 06:39:35 PM »

I AGREE WITH CLAYHARMONY.   I REALLY DO LIKE BOTH  SONGS,  I WOULD LOVE  A GREAT WRITER TO  WRITE A VERY SPECIAL SONG FOR THIS MAN WHO HAS A VOICE LIKE NO OTHER ( HER WORDS).   WHEN HE SANG "I CAN'T MAKE YOU LOVE ME", I THOUGHT I WOULD MELT IN MY SEAT.    ALSO,  SOMETIMES THE BACKGROUND MUSIC WOULD DROWN OUT ALL THE SINGERS.  WHEN I PAY TO HEAR CLAY, I REALLY WANT TO HEAR CLAY.  LOVED THE CONCERT!
claysenior
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2005, 07:37:26 PM »

I have to agree with most of the posts:  Back For More is just great.  As I said on another post, at first I thought it was one of the old songs when I listened to it on ATCA.  It's that good.  I'm sure Clay also believes it is a winner as he chose this (or someone advising him did) to showcase on GMA.  The other song may be very good when produced in a studio with the right musicians, etc.; when they work the magic that they do.   B.F.M. has been replaying in my head all day after listening to it last night.  I couldn't wait to get home to watch it again as, of course, I downloaded it.   

One last comment, It is, maybe, better than anything on MOAM, but at least it is just as good as the best song on that album.  Aren't we all the lucky ones to have Clay.  And how wonderful that he is BACK.   
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2005, 07:54:31 PM »

Finally, I understand that he has blogged again (wonder if that word is in Webster's yet) and is talking about the album, these songs and such.  I know it's know not cool to quote him, but can you give those oddballs amongst us who are not yet fan club members an idea of what everybody's talking about?   Pretty please?
I have no problem with paraphrasing Clay's journal entry.  This is pretty much it...

He said he was getting tired of the downtime, but now he's working so hard he's tired again!
He said he likes the show they put together for the tour, and that he's happy about the CD.
He likes Jaymes Foster-Levy, and confirms that she is the executive producer.
They have been diligently looking for songs that are not just good songs, but songs that are meaningful in some way.
(ME:  YAY!)*
He wraps up by saying they've already decided on a name for the CD.  And he ain't gonna tell us either.

BWAAA...!

*I have hoped for quite a while that Clay and Team would pursue a musical course which resulted in songs that were socially conscious yet not preachy, mature yet fun, catchy yet topical.  As an example, there is a song by a band called Train called "Calling All Angels" that is beautiful and relevant, yet has a great hook.

I see there being, in the near future, a whole new genre of music which speaks to the social conscious of adults as well as makes the ears tingle and the toes tap.  It's possible, it can be done. 

With Clay's determination to make a difference, and to use his voice, I hope he realizes that it can be done with a song as well as a speech to Congress. 

Bravo!!
GWENN
Enthusiastic

HE'S KILLING ME!!!!!!

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2005, 08:08:42 PM »

I WAITED TO  WAIT TO POST ABOUT THE SONGS UN TIL I HEARD THEM MORE THAN ONCE.  I LOVED BFM AT TR AND ON GMA.  I REALLY LOVED IT IN PITTSBURGH BECAUSE THE CROWD WAS SO INTO THE SONG. I FEEL IT IS JUST THE RIGHT KIND OF SONG TO GET AIRPLAY FOR CLAY AND BROADEN HIS FANBASE.  LET PEOPLE HEAR THIS SONG, LIKE IT, BUY THE CD, AND SEE WHAT AN AMAZING VOICE HE HAS.  IT DOES HAVE A HOOK.  IT IS FUN AND THE SONG STICKS WITH YOU.

NOT SURE ABOUT JY YET.  I HAVE TO HEAR IT MORE.  TOO BUSY DOWNLOADING OTHER THINGS.  BUT, IF THESE ARE THE TYPES OF SONGS ON THE CD, I AM THRILLED.

CHRISTIE DOES HAVE A GOOD POINT.  CLAY IS SO FABULOUS LIVE.  JFL HAS A CHALLENGE TO GET THAT SPIRIT AND ZEST ONTO A CD.  IF SHE DOES, THEN THE WHOLE CD WILL BE AMAZING.

GWENN

HIS VOICE WRAPS AROUND MY HEART.
KEEPER OF CLAY'S CHARM
ALWAYS AND FOREVER
cjrmax
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2005, 08:19:41 PM »

but songs that are meaningful in some way.
Pamela - this little line already has some on other boards trying to figure out who broke his heart thereby accounting for the angst and love-lost themes of of both BFM and JY!!!!  Laughing

*I have hoped for quite a while that Clay and Team would pursue a musical course which resulted in songs that were socially conscious yet not preachy, mature yet fun, catchy yet topical.  As an example, there is a song by a band called Train called "Calling All Angels" that is beautiful and relevant, yet has a great hook.

I see there being, in the near future, a whole new genre of music which speaks to the social conscious of adults as well as makes the ears tingle and the toes tap.  It's possible, it can be done.

With Clay's determination to make a difference, and to use his voice, I hope he realizes that it can be done with a song as well as a speech to Congress.  

You know, it is for this reason I was so surprised at the song choices for the 60's.  That was an era of socially conscience songs, songs meant to make a difference, to better the world.  And they weren't all controversial.  Themes of peace and love and helping your fellow man are themes as relevant and important today as they were then - and its hard for anyone to argue with them.  
sjlogghe
SuperFan

Clay's Geography Tutor

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2005, 08:31:55 PM »

Great replies, thanks!

Here's some food for thought - go look at the lyrics to "Just You."

Does anyone else think Clay may have had a hand in writing this one?

Wink

Considering that the lyrics have changed at almost every show so far . . . I think you may be on to something here, Pamela!!  Wink

Faith is the substance of all things hoped for . . .
cjrmax
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2005, 09:28:28 PM »

Considering that the lyrics have changed at almost every show so far . . . I think you may be on to something here, Pamela!!   Wink
Or that could just be the Aiken Random Lyric Generator at work again!  Laughing
redhead
Clayamateur

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2005, 09:42:53 PM »

Thanks Pamela.  I love a great ballad with a message.  As far as the album is concerned,  he seems to like to tease us a little.  I've loved most of what he's done so far.  both original and cover.   He's got such a beautiful voice that I'd like to see him choose songs that really showcase, whether it's a beautiful ballad or a good rockin' song.  If continues to pick songs like that, I'll be a happy camper.  Now if we can only get a release date of him

Feet on the ground; listening to the star
sjlogghe
SuperFan

Clay's Geography Tutor

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2005, 10:08:44 PM »

Or that could just be the Aiken Random Lyric Generator at work again!  Laughing

ROFLMAO  So true!! 

You know, I think I have finally found something we agree on Christie!!!   Purple Banana  I completely agree that the songs on his album do not sound the same in concert.  And fear that these songs, on an album, will not be as good.  ISY is a perfect example that you gave - IMO, not the greatest or one of my favorites on MOAM.  But in concert, that was definitely one of my favs to see him perform!!!  Invisible is another one.  I  know that if some people heard the live performance on the radio instead of the album version, they would like it a whole lot more.  He puts more umph in it, and changes things up to make them more interesting.  Hopefully that by doing these songs in concert first, he will make those changes and add the extra umph on the album as well!! 

Faith is the substance of all things hoped for . . .
clayharmony
ANN News Team
SuperFan

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2005, 10:37:57 PM »

Just wish to state my agreement with the speculation that Clay wrote "Just You."  From the 'get go' I, too, thought this could be his own song...actually, his own set of lyrics it seems to me.

Just for fun, I'm going to quote some of Kelly's words to "Walk Alone"  and "Don't" which I read somewhere might refer to the both of them.  Grant you, I have no earthly idea if there is anything to it...I just think it is fun...because I'd like to think Clay is enjoying time with a special someone.  If not now, I wish for him a dear person to share great love and laughter.

from Kelly's "Walk Alone"

You've got your mother and your brother
Every other, undercover, telling you what to say
You think I'm stupid
But the truth is, that it's Cupid, baby
Loving you has made me this way

So before you point your finger
Get your hands off of my trigger, oh yeah
You need to know the situations getting old
And now the more you talk, the less I can take

I'm looking for attention
Not another question
Should you stay or should you go
Well, if you don't have the answer
Why you still standing here

and...

from Kelly's "Don't"

You look at me like you always do
You don't have a clue
You smile at me, you hug me
But, you don't know I want you
You play with me
You flirt with me
You tell me all your secrets
I'm always the one you run to
But to you, I'm just your friend

Don't say I love you
Don't say you need me
Don't say I trust you
My heart can't take it
Don't say you want me
Don't say you miss me
Don't hurt me
Don't say you love me

Oh, no no no no

I've tried my best to rid these thoughts
Of you and I, it's so hard
When you come to me, I fall back on my knees
I've learned to hate love
You kissed me on the cheek and said
You'd never make it without me
It's getting harder everyday

Clay's jois de vivre gladdens my heart;
his spiritual consciousness and musical gifts bring  harmony to my soul.

What is beautiful is a joy for all seasons...

Life is a Song ~ Love is the Music
CAFan5230
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2005, 11:07:21 PM »

BACK FOR MORE

A huge hit for sure, both Top 40 and AC.  These are the clues: 1) good, catchy intro, the first few bars unique to catch the listener, 2) awesome lyrics, love the theme and the radio references, 3) it, the song, and Clay ROCK, 4) the chorus is outstanding, after one listen, I couldn't get it out of my head. 

To the producer, be sure to keep that very strong, insistent opening beat and tempo.  The first few bars have to be a grabber.  And don't let it drag, for audio only, keep the tempo up, let him rock (make him rock).  And at the part "cos it's all over the radio." keep that deep and growly, then it's contrasted with the high notes of the chorus.   And make him really let go on that chorus and ROCK. 

To the writer, a magnificent piece of work, it's up to the producer and the singer now!

To the singer, let go and ROCK, don't hold back.

Overall rating:  A sure hit.

JUST YOU

Magnificent song.  Trickier because it's a ballad, I wish I could be in the studio trying out different things with this because it has so much potential.  The lyrics are achingly beautiful.  The music is beautiful, and it keeps running through my head. 

To the producer, some things I would try (hard to know what would work without hearing the result) are first, the backing, I would try adding an orchestra, certainly for part of it, but keep a strong pop beat.  I would try having Clay sing his own backup tracks.  I would try him softly voicing/whispering instead of singing a phrase with no or very little backing, maybe this bit "Night after night I dream you're in my arms", then the next line "Washing up and heal the scars of a wounded soul" really wrench out the emotion in that with a hard, achy tone.

Then the bridge, it needs a bridge and the first few bars are here "Free me from these chains, baby...."   I would run with that, build it into a spectacular bridge, the song is so good, it just needs this extra level, just a few more lines.  I would try a soaring orchestral bridge, or a very soft tender acoustic bridge, or the singer using a hard tone to wrench out emotion, and then back to the chorus to finish. 

To the writer, a powerful, magnificent, very touching song.  Just add some more lines to that "let emotion go" bridge.  The lyrics are so beautiful, telling a story, taking the listener to "free me from these chains" - why, free to be numb, to not feel pain anymore, or free to love again?  Don't hold back, pull the singer out of the pain and confusion and tell us what he wants, where he wants to go, what does "free" mean to him?  Does he want to be held and loved again?  Or does he need some time to just feel nothing? 

To the singer, a song truly worthy of all your vocal skills, and you can use them all, from soft, breathy, tender, to soaring with power, a hard, achy tone, an emotional total "let go" - in the studio you can color the song with all these techniques. 

Overall rating:  Dangerous.  Potential chart killer, DJs begging for mercy.
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2005, 06:20:39 AM »

To the producer, be sure to keep that very strong, insistent opening beat and tempo.  The first few bars have to be a grabber.  And don't let it drag, for audio only, keep the tempo up, let him rock (make him rock).  And at the part "cos it's all over the radio." keep that deep and growly, then it's contrasted with the high notes of the chorus.   And make him really let go on that chorus and ROCK.

Nicely put CAFan5230!

To the singer, let go and ROCK, don't hold back.

Absolutely. I have no doubt that if this is the song chosen to be the lead single, Clay will eventually become "at one" with it, just as he did TITN and Invisible.  It appears he is getting in touch with his inner self much more lately anyway, no reason why he shouldn't also get to know his inner RockStar, right?

I recall an interview last year where the writer mentioned the term "adult pop" and Clay was all over that.  I love pop music.  But what is "pop"ular to me is not necessarily what's "pop"ular on Top 40 radio today.  Too much electronics passing for guitars.

The key to showcasing Clay on a recording is to capture the energy he gets back from the crowd at a live performance.  So, they need to create the attitude in Clay that he gets when performing live. 

But without all the screaming.

Wink

CAFan5230
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2005, 09:47:31 AM »

I just found a transcript of the "Just You" lyrics posted on a message board and was surprised to see I have, apparently, misheard a word, a very critical word! 

"Because your heart is, was my HOPE" - "hope" not "home." 

I was hearing "home" and that word had a HUGE emotional kick for me.  The singer thought his home was in her heart, he felt safe, comfortable, loved - at "home," like he belonged there.  Then it all blew up on him.  Very powerful.  "Hope" I'm not so sure about, it's still a very powerful word, but in this context, for me anyway, doesn't KICK emotionally like "home" does. 

One little word change and I'm an emotional mess.  The music is truly magnificent, can't get it out of my head, but the lyrics matter too, and that one word just kicks me right over the edge.  What an album title that would be too - "Your heart is my home" as in to his fans, our hearts are his home, where he belongs.   I like that even more than Josh Groban's "Closer" as in getting closer to his fans.
mrsaiken3504
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2005, 05:42:18 PM »

I have only heard "Back For More" and am in love with it! My mom heard it too and as soon as it ended she said "That is going to be a hit" and I couldn't have said it better! It is a pop song, but with a little rock edge to it. It is a little different for Clay, and I think it is wonderful how his music is branching out. I think this way, his music will reach new audiences and his fan base will get even bigger! I have nothing negative to say at all, bravo Clay!

- Liz
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2005, 06:44:03 PM »

I just found a transcript of the "Just You" lyrics posted on a message board and was surprised to see I have, apparently, misheard a word, a very critical word! 

"Because your heart is, was my HOPE" - "hope" not "home." 

I was hearing "home" and that word had a HUGE emotional kick for me.  The singer thought his home was in her heart, he felt safe, comfortable, loved - at "home," like he belonged there.  Then it all blew up on him.  Very powerful.  "Hope" I'm not so sure about, it's still a very powerful word, but in this context, for me anyway, doesn't KICK emotionally like "home" does. 

One little word change and I'm an emotional mess.  The music is truly magnificent, can't get it out of my head, but the lyrics matter too, and that one word just kicks me right over the edge.  What an album title that would be too - "Your heart is my home" as in to his fans, our hearts are his home, where he belongs.   I like that even more than Josh Groban's "Closer" as in getting closer to his fans.
Having now seen the song performed live, I'm not sure what that lyric is supposed to be - whether it's "hope" or "home" - it sounded like "home" to me live.  The audio from which the lyrics were transcribed was rough. 

It's my opinion the word is "home."  And I agree, it makes the song all the more powerful.
cjrmax
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2005, 06:51:13 PM »

It's my opinion the word is "home."  And I agree, it makes the song all the more powerful.
I hope its supposed  to be "home", but with Clay, it could easily be "home" one night, "hope" another and who knows what the next!  Laughing

But that's just one of his many, many charms.....  
paclayfan
Claymaniac

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2005, 03:58:54 AM »

BACK FOR MORE
I LOVE this song. I have played it so many times, and never tire of it.I think it will be played on radio. It's a perfect fit.  I think Programmers will realize that Clay has some serious talent and is not going away. It seems to me that he is gaining respect in the Music world. How do I know that? I really don't, but I'm really hoping.

JUST YOU
I liked this song when I heard it live. It is starting to grow on me the more I hear it, but I don't think this is a radio song.

As far as the quality of the next CD, it should far surpass MOAM. Clay was just starting out back then. He's been through 5 tours and has a much better grasp on making music now. I have no doubt that Clay will get exactly what he wants, and that is why we have bee n waiting so long.

Deanna in PA
caramel131
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2005, 08:11:12 AM »

I heard BFM on GMA and I, too, think that is very catchy and radio friendly.  Clay really needs to keep this song in the vain of rock/edgy and deliver the bridge of this song with gusto.  Sort of in your face attitude.

Regarding JY, I've only heard downloads of this song and I believe this song could be a beautiful ballad.  I would like to hear Clay sing this song in a more deep, richer voice.  In the beginning of this song, his voice sounds more boy band to me.  However, having said that, it depends on what radio format he is striving for on this song.  The boy band sound is more mainstream, whereas if sung in a richer tone, it could do well in the adult contemporary format.  Hey, I have a suggestion, why not cut two versions of this song.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx