gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:01:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 519
Total: 519

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NEW SONG DISCUSSION  (Read 23320 times)
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« on: August 01, 2005, 07:39:27 PM »

Edited 8/7/05:  At the Cary NC concert on Friday evening, Clay debuted yet another new song called 1000 Days.  If you were there, or if you have heard the song via a download, which remember - is not the best way to hear a brand new song, but it's all we've got - please feel free to post your opinions of it here.  I have sent the link for this thread to Jaymes Foster-Levy via private message on the OFC forum, and the message was opened and read.  Thank you! -Pamela

So far, Clay has previewed two new songs during his JBT concerts. 

"Back For More," a pop flavored, uptempo song with a catchy hook and radio ready lyrics ......

and

"Just You," a soaring ballad of love and loss with a heartfelt delivery and a tinge of angst ......

Lyrics can be read HERE.

"Back For More" was performed on Good Morning America, but so far, the only way to hear "Just You" is on mostly poor quality bootleg video, a media that doesn't normally do an artist or a performance justice.  (Which is one reason bootleg audio and video are usually forbidden; most of it is not of a quality that most artists would want available to the general public outside of fan bases.)

There are people in high places who want to know what we think.  Please be honest, and keep a couple of things in mind.

Many of us love everything Clay sings, because we love his voice.  But, it benefits Clay to speak from an objective position. 

Keeping that in mind, what do you think about the songs - the tempo, the lyrics, the emotion?

Do you like the instrumentation?  The sound and tone created by the guitars, the percussion? 

Do you prefer Clay with live musicians or the sound created in the studio?  Do you think either of these songs would be radio hits?  On Top 40?  On adult contemporary stations? 

How do you feel the song would be accepted by Top 40 radio listeners?  By A/C listeners?  By TRL viewers?  By the media?  By the industry?  By people who don't follow Clay, or know what he's been up to? 

How do you feel either of these songs compare with similar songs getting radio play currently?

Is this music what you expected?  If not, what did you expect? 

It would be helpful, if you do have issues with the songs, to share what you think would improve them.  And conversely, if you like the songs, please share what you do enjoy about them.   

Remember that all opinions expressed in a respectful manner are welcome and valid.  We aren't here to change anyone's mind, but to express our feelings about the new music.  Ready?  Go!

cjrmax
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 07:57:49 PM »

I was just discussing this with someone and this is my feeling.

I LOVE BFM and just feel mech about JY!  Maybe BFM doesn't show his vocals to the best of their ability, but it has a great sound, a bit of edge and he sells it, plus it appears to be very radio friendly!  I have seen it twice now live, once on GMA and listened to a few downloads and LOVE it more each time.  Plus, its a song that sticks with me.  Assuming it sounds as good recorded as it does live, I think its a song that will make some of the naysayers say That's Clay Aiken???  My feeling is, that's what he needs to do to be able to sing songs that show his voice off more perfectly - get more new people to listen to him and buy his CDs.  BFM could do that - plus its a great song performed live.  Is it unique? No.  But either is the sound of JY.  For some reason that song leaves me cold. I don't hate it, but I don't love it.  I just feel ambivilant toward it.  Sort of like I felt about The Way, which I know some LOVED but I never did.  

Are there songs that could show off Clay's unique, amazing voice better than BFM?  Absolutely.  But to me, he sounded great on BFM and its a song that could catch some new people so then they can hear him on songs that will really show off his voice.  As we all know, once he's got you, he's got you.  What Clay needs to do is get more people on that hook, and then he can reel them in and they are his for life!  I think BFM is just the song to do that.

clay_enthusiast
Clayamateur

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 08:35:00 PM »

Great idea Pamela to have this thread.  Hope someone will read the feedback.  I have not yet attended a concert to hear both songs.  The one on GMA  Back For More is a different sound for Clay to be sure but I really like the song.  I do think it sounds more like the songs on the radio for younger tastes but I think it could do well on the adult contemporary radio as wel l for us baby boomers who don't want to feel old.  LOL. 
Thought Clay did a really good job of performing it , the emotion, looks, etc.  Sounded in great voice ,did not miss a beat.  The sound I like is the live sound.  I really like the live performances of his songs rather than the manufactured studio sound.  To me it sounds kind of contrived not real.  It also doesn't showcase his voice as well.  On MOAM his voice was sometimes drowned out by the music.   I did think that on GMA  that BFM was not as clear as it could have been the guitars and drums were drowning Clay out on some of this lines.  BUt this may be why it seemed like an edgier sound.  Heavy on the guitars and drums reminds me of some of Kelly""s new songs that she is having success with.  FUNNY BFM is actually and ad for the radio.  Laughing Laughing Wonder if they will finally play it,  I wish ,  I wish but there is a real prejudice against AI alumni except for Kelly.  She got a great review when she came to town here.    QUESTION ???FOR THOSE WHO ATTENDED GMA LIVE---Did Jacob sing the back up on that song or was it tracs of CLay"s voice.  It looked like the backup singers were quiet on that song?
Marilyn
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

THE EPITOME OF DECORUM

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 08:36:49 PM »

I CHEATED AND DOWNLOADED TOM'S RIVER- AND I AGREE WITH CHRISTIE ON BFM- IT HAS A REALLY CATCHY BEAT- ITS A LITTLE BIT DIFFERENT IN THE WAY THE VERSES ARE SET UP- IT HAS A LITTLE EXTRA ON EACH
BUT THE CHORUS REALLY GRABS HOLD OF YOU AND MAKES YOU SING IT OVER AND OVER- WHEN I WAS IN CONNECTICUT WE WERE SCRAMBLING TO FIND THE LYRICS SO WE COULD SING ALONG-
I DEFINITELY THINK ITS RADIO FRIENDLY- I THOUGHT IT WAS FUNNY THAT RADIO WAS MENTIONED THROUGHOUT THE SONG.
THIS IS A SONG THAT WAS IN MY HEAD BEFORE I WENT TO SLEEP, AND WHEN I WOKE UP- THE RIFFS ARE GOOD AND THE BEAT IS CATCHY. NOT HAVING HEARD THE STUDIO VERSION. I LOVE THE LIVE ROCK VERSION WITH THE GUITARS TWANGING NEXT TO CLAY. SORT OF LIKE HOW IWCY SOUNDED MORE ROCKING ON KIMMEL THAN IT DID ON THE STUDIO CD.

JUST YOU- I ONLY HEARD IT A COUPLE OF TIMES, BUT THE MELODY TO THAT ONE STANDS OUT ALSO- ITS A LITTLE MORE UPTEMPO THAN SOME OF HIS PRIOR SONGS, YET IT SHOWCASES HIS VOICE. WHILE I LOVE BFM MORE, I DO LIKE THIS ONE ALSO

I LISTEN TO MANY MANY TYPES OF MUSIC- HAVING A MUSICAL FAMILY- DAD, BOTH BROTHERS, MY SON- I HAVE A GOOD APPRECIATION OF THE DIFFERENT STYLES- AND EXCEPT FOR RAP- I AM USUALLY ON THE MONEY --WHEN I LIKE A SONG, IT USUALLY DOES WELL

SO THESE TWO HAVE THE MUFFY STAMP OF APPROVAL FOR RADIO PLAY!!
Purple Banana Purple Banana Purple Banana Purple Banana Purple Banana Purple Banana

ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!
wisconsinmaniac
Enthusiastic

Filling Every Empty Space With Clay

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 09:32:17 PM »

Back for More!

I loved this song the instant I heard it on GMA.   

There was no hesitation on my part.   For me, it was the very first time that a new song that Clay did "clicked" instantly.  Evah!   I did not have to wait for it to "grow on me".   BFM with guitars and drums sound so right.   The lyrics and arrangement and the catchy chorus should really prove to be a hit for Clay.   

Christie -  you described it perfectly.  I also agree with you that BFM may not showcase Clay's awesome vocal abilities, but I truly feel that this song could gain new fans!   It is a different sound for Clay - - but he has captured it!   It's funny, I mentioned to someone that BFM reminded me of the sound of a couple of Kelly Clarkson's singles from her latest CD. 

I have downloaded BFM from Toms Rivers to hear it again and again.  Clay has a chance to show his personality (including angst) while performing this song - (Think Kimmel, Leno, The View, etc.) 

Mmm . . . TRL.   I think if he does a BFM video,  it would be good to try to capture the young audience who seem to get wrapped up with the MTV videos.  An imaginative video could prove to be a big plus in his career.

OK - Just You (IMHO) is a beautiful ballad and (what I could decipher) is done very well by Clay.    At this point, it wasn't particularly memorable, but it is hard to be sure since we haven't heard a good quality version of it..   

JY may be fine on his new CD, but so far -  it is, to me, just a pretty ballad.

I love hearing everyone's opinions!

How lucky we are to understand and appreciate the true beauty of Clay Aiken and to follow him on his journey as he "makes a difference"!
Invisible Touch
Claymaniac

Minneapolis, MN

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 09:53:45 PM »

I seem to echo everything that you guys are already saying!  I really, really love Back For More!  This song has been stuck in my head since last Friday!  Not since hearing the bits and pieces of Invisible on Prime Time Live have I been this excited to hear one of his songs on the radio, the radio, the radio. Wink  Clay definately has me coming back for more!

I usually listen to a HotAC station and think it would be perfect for that format as well as AC, maybe Top 40.  I also love that Radio Max has been playing this song.  I even recognize it with the first few notes!!

"Clay Aiken is an ordinary-extraordinary human being.  I hope we always remember to treat him as that human being rather than the idol he chooses not to be."  – Kathy Malamut (Beavers on Idol)
clayharmony
ANN News Team
SuperFan

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 01:38:48 AM »

New Songs Commentary

I am so pleased to have this opportunity to share my reaction to Clay’s new songs in this forum and to offer some commentary on musical tastes in general, since I have given this matter quite a bit of thought over the years, especially analyzing which selections seem to enjoy widespread appeal and why.

Beyond mass marketing promotions (repeated airplay, slick/hip/sexy videos and TV ads), I continue to believe that the artist really needs to identify with the lyrics and the musical essence of a song.  In any given CD or concert, musical training or not, I think most listeners would be able to pick which pieces are most favored by the singer.  The music just resonates on a deeper level and it is palpable.  With Clay, one such song is Don’t Save It All for Christmas Day and another is Solitaire and performances of these numbers consistently produce standing ovations.

So, how does Clay emotionally connect with these two new songs?  Are they ‘standing ovation’ experiences?  After viewing videos of a few of his initial performances of these pieces, it does seem Clay has a special feeling for both of them, but I’m not yet convinced that they are the equal of the numbers I mentioned above.  Saying that, however, I do see a comparable ‘Invisible’ spring in his step for “Back for More.” 

I think the musical line of a song is perhaps the key aspect of its performance longevity.  Can it be hummed later?  “Back for More” definitely locks this in.  I am hearing it in my head after just listening to it a couple of times…and yes, I can hum it too!  Smile  And, I want to!!  I find the line a bit heavy on certain repeated intervals in “Just You.”  With that song, I am tempted to rework the note sequence to create more of a flow to fit the lyrics. I like unpredictable intervals when I think they feel in sync with the words. 

I think the tempos are effective for both songs.  I really like the pulsating rhythm in “Back for More.”  I am ready to get up from this computer and start dancing.  Conversely, I sit quietly back and listen to “Just You.”

I like the harmonic structure of “Back for More” and I believe “Just You” would benefit by some modulations and richer chord changes.  Additionally, I think “Just You” would be greatly enhanced by a contrapuntal line…and perhaps it could played by an oboe, English horn, flute or sax.  In it’s current arrangement, I think “Just You” is a bit thin and uninteresting.

Back for More’s instrumentation is terrific!  The introduction of the song makes great use of the percussion.  I do hope that Clay can be sufficiently heard over the instrumentalists when the song is produced for the CD.  This was an issue for my tastes in MOAM, but seemed totally overcome on Clay’s Christmas album.

I like ballads to make use of tonal color as noted in my suggestion for “Just You” a few lines earlier.  There are so many beautiful mechanisms to produce great sounds and many of today’s songs are produced in such unoriginal styles.  Electric and acoustic guitars and keyboards are fabulous, however so are flutes, oboes, lyric harps, dulcimers…the list would go on too long for my purposes here.

The lyrics of these two songs are terrific.  I think the musical line is a good match for “Back for More.”  I think the “Just You” lyrics are considerably more powerful than the song is.  I would like the melody to reflect more of the poignant, heartbreak, which is so articulated in the words.  And, the song would not have to be rearranged in a minor key or written to reflect angst.  What I think would work is a line which manifests the wistfulness present in the “Just You” lines.

I think that Clay is so much more the passionate singer that is his gift to share when he performs live and thus, I believe he would greatly benefit by being recorded live versus a studio production.  We Clay fans repeated enjoin our friends (and even strangers!) to come hear him live to really experience this amazing talent.

I listen and enjoy most forms of music, excepting pure rap and heavy metal.  Considering the selections I hear repeatedly on radio (irrespective of promotion), I do think that “Back for More” might be of interest on the Top 40 stations.  However, it will almost have to sneak in, if you will, to get by some hardwired biases on the part of station management.  I don’t hear many ballads by anyone receiving significant Top 40 airplay excepting those sung by such artists as Alicia Keys and Christina Aguilera. 

Adult Contemporary station play remains a bit of a mystery.  I almost understand Clay’s lack of airplay on the Top 40 stations if such songs as Britney’s Toxic are what they are looking for, however much of what Clay has already recorded received little attention by his natural niche, AC stations.  And, I have yet to comprehend the reason for that.  Certainly “Thy Way,” “Without You,” and “Solitaire” were ideal for this musical genre…what gives??  I don’t know if a difference in promotion will make a dent here or not.

I think that TRL viewers are guided strongly by the sophistication (and maybe more candidly, sensationalism) of the musical video.  I continue to be hopeful that Clay could successfully create a musical video if it was aimed at his teen fan audience, and contrary to some DJs perceptions, not all of his fans are middle-aged women!!

I believe that Kelly Clarkson’s current hits are a pretty good barometer of songs, which generate significant radio play.  “Back for More” does seem comparable. 

While I like these new songs, I was hoping for songs that reflect a sophisticated harmonic arrangement, tonal color and classic lyrics.  “Solitaire” is masterful on all levels.  Just examine the depth of the lyrics, the moving note sequence, and the chord progression.  Where are the songwriters that create such classics as these songwriters of the caliber of Neil Sedaka, Burt Bacharach, or Diane Warren?  My hope for Clay is that the very best of them compose selections for this man who has a voice like none other.

edited to fix code  edited to fix spelling of Christina Aguilera

Clay's jois de vivre gladdens my heart;
his spiritual consciousness and musical gifts bring  harmony to my soul.

What is beautiful is a joy for all seasons...

Life is a Song ~ Love is the Music
lorilovesgolf
UltimateFan

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005, 04:59:37 AM »

Back for More is definitely my favorite of the two.  Yesterday at work, I was very distracted all day long - didn't get a whole lot done thinking of seeing Clay on Saturday and all.  Then I realized that everytime I turned around - I was singing BFM in my head and just couldn't stop!!  The song is definitely radio friendly - I just can't see how people won't warm up to that one!  I love it.  I love it when he says "nooooo" -  in that deep sexy voice  Purple Banana    ooooohhhh my!!!  Laughing

"Some men walk and find their place in the world...
Some men show the world their walk."
Author Unknown.
Official Charter Member of OCD
woodstock854
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

"I need help!!!"

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2005, 05:17:01 AM »

I love "Back For More'!!!  We taped it on GMA and played it so many times that we knew the words so we could sing along at the concert that night.  We were not the only ones singing along!!!  So, I would definitely say it is catchy.  And catchy is what seems to be played on the radio.  I have a feeling this song was written more with radio in mind than Clay Aiken, but since he does it so well, if he gets radio play, he will draw in more fans.  Many of us were talking and we agreed that we would love for this song to be played without mentioning his name, and then see what people think.  They can all see that Clay has many sides to his talent.  But we thought the backup singers were a little too loud during some parts.

"Just You" was much better live than what we heard from the download.  It is a different kind of ballad for Clay.  I like it, but this is one that will have to grow on me a bit.

I must say, to me, what sets Clay apart from others (OH, there are so many things...) is the glory notes in his songs.  Just like his shirt tugs, which make him unique, his glory notes are like none others.  I hope they continue to find songs for him where he can showcase that aspect of his talent.

But........I think Back For More is certainly a Radio, Radio, Radio friendly tune.  I bet on this one!!!

"There's something about the way I can't take my eyes off you...  There's something about the way your lips invite..."
Julie, jj, Liz, Carol and Janet are our Guardian Angels
"My faith has conquered fear, on my way here."
OCD Support Group Founder
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2005, 08:36:22 AM »

Great replies, thanks!

Here's some food for thought - go look at the lyrics to "Just You."

Does anyone else think Clay may have had a hand in writing this one?

Wink
liney23
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2005, 08:42:38 AM »

The first time I heard Back for More, I loved it and was soooo excited that Clay had chosen it.  It is definitely more edgy than anything on MOAM.  He was going for a different effect on the slow parts and he got it.  My daughter thought he was deliberately singing nasally in those parts for that effect.  

It has a great hook and should do great on radio.  I love the suggestion of playing without saying who does it and see what an unbiased opinion would be.  

It is my opinion after listening umpteen times to this song, that Clay is singing his own backup on this song.  I didn't hear anyone else, certainly not Jacob.  That was NOT Jacob, that was Clay himself.  I LOVE "In It, Not Of It" from his demo for the same reason, that Clay is singing his own backup.  

No, this song does not showcase his voice, like Solitaire or BOTW, but those songs are covers and no matter how much we love them, he needs new, all his own, modern original songs to get to the level we/he wants to get to in the industry.  This song has that modern feel to it.  Yes, it is a bit derivitive or "Reason" and "Torn," but he has to work with what he is offered.  My guess is that he has listened to a bazillion songs and that it hasn't been easy to find something he likes that has decent lyrics.  I like this one a LOT.  I like the tour versions better than the GMA version, cause he really gets into it more and it sounds even more "rocker."

Just You:  I have only heard the downloads and they aren't terribly good, so my opinion isn't that well-based.  This is a song that needs to be heard from a studio recording.  It was a ballad, which he does well, always.  I thought the high note was too high to sound comfortable for him.  Before saying more, I need to hear it better.

This is a bit off-topic from the request, but I sure hope someone sees the consistent comments on the not so great sound at the concerts.  That needs to be fixed.  
hotwaxonclay
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2005, 08:49:53 AM »

At first when I heard BFM on GMA I was like hmm...I like it but he sound nasaly...But then I listened to it agian and it soudned really good. I love the edge he has with that song, it fits him well. I became obsessed with that song...jsut like it says "become obsessed and can't stop playin" well that was me..I listened to it for like 2 hours straight the first night and have been only listening to that for that past couple of days haha. It does sound very great live, I hope they try to make it sound true to that on the recorded version. Look at MCWL and the songs on there, the music was real and Clay's voice shined. There weren't all these crazy techno mumbo jumbo computerized backup singers going on. If they keep the right instrumentals and sounds for the studio version, then Clay will def have a Top 40 hit. This song is made for radio, and if they don't play it, they are crazy. But I've let some non-Clay fans listen to this song and even they like it. They think the lyrics are well written and that the sounds is good for Clay's voice.

Then There is JY...omg I love it. I do think that the recording is a little choppy and I know it doesn't do him full justice but I am head over heels for this song. I listened to it for the first time and got chills...I've only listened to the Toms River recording but I know that I don't need other recordings b/c this is def going to be one of my fave songs. It sounds a little Adult Contemporary-ish so if it is played on the radio it will be played on Soft Rock stations. Do I think it could be a Top 40? Maybe...if the studio version has as good a sound as the live version.

That's the one thing about Clay...we are used to hearing him live, he is always awesome live. I'm not saying his studio stuff isn't good...MOAM was def a little less than I expected, but if his next cd is of the quality of MCWL plus 5 he will have a great album. But I am pretty sure the BFM will become a Top 40 hit, it has the goods that it needs to be on the list!!
Ilovetowrite
UltimateFan

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2005, 09:01:11 AM »

I love the two new songs I walk around all day singing that one line on the radio the radio, the radio. I know im strange LOL.

Keeper of Clays straight hair and Flip flops.

CLAY'S BUS BABE.
Clays Traveling Gypsy.
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2005, 09:05:53 AM »

It has a great hook and should do great on radio.  I love the suggestion of playing without saying who does it and see what an unbiased opinion would be.
This is exactly what the music rating services do, and exactly why so many people have signed up for PROMOSQUAD and RATE THE MUSIC.

(Details are in the Music Matters forum.)

These services play snippets of new songs submitted by artists and recording companies and solicit simplistic feedback (like it, love it, hate it, etc) from registered members.

If you are interested in participating, not just for Clay, but just because you want to USE YOUR VOICE to let TPTB know what you want to hear on the radio, it's always best to sign up through your local station's website.

If you want a better chance of hearing Clay at either of these services, it's probably best to chose a Top 40 or an AC/Hot AC station format in your listening area.  There are usually links on the station's websites to sign up for the music rating services.

In other words, don't use a classic rock, country, or urban station to sign up if you want to hear Clay, even if that is your favorite type of music.

Just something to consider, if you love music. Also, Promosquad gives prizes for their member's participation!!

Purple Banana

ClayBuf
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2005, 09:31:32 AM »

I heard Back For More for the first time on GMA. At first I was a little apprehensive, because I thought Clay's vocal on the song's intro was a little shaky. But once he got past it and onto the meat of the song - I perked up immediately! Smile

The very first impulse I had as I was hearing this song for the first time was that this was better than any of the songs on MOAM. I am so curious as to who wrote BFM. It definitely has the chops and the hooks for airplay - but I think the fact that it is Clay singing it will determine which radio format it ends up on. The song itself is just right for any of the popular formats to be a hit.  I just have this nasty feeling that the "anti-Clay" contingent is still out there and will still balk at giving him any significant airplay.    The only thing that will change that - or at least make a dent in it - will be if BFM (or any other song from the new album) appeals to a much wider audience than just the already established Clay fans.

I definitely think this song has the potential to do just that. It's a catchy little pop song and Clay does a great job with it - LIVE. I sure hope that nothing is lost on this song when it is recorded.   

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Clay's new album is chock full of GOOD catchy songs like BFM (and that are well produced) - to pull in a whole new audience, and send him soring to even greater heights! If this is a preview of the songs he's choosing, then we are in for another great ride!  Wink

~Buffi
cjrmax
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2005, 09:34:47 AM »

Does anyone else think Clay may have had a hand in writing this one?

Wink
Way to start a rumor, Pamela!!!  And who did he write it about??  Let's see - there's Kelly, Angela, May, Amber, Bikini Girl, Dark-Hair-Girl-In-The-Car-Picture-In-The-Tour-Book (she really needs a shorter name!), the pretty blonde keyboard player (I mean - there are 2 other keyboard players.... Just why did he need one more?  Wink ).

Then there is the obvious - Raleigh!  Laughing

In all seriousness, I have been thinking about BFM and JY and one thing bothers me.  We are hearing them for the first time live.  If you think back to MOAM, every single song sounded MUCH better live than on the CD.  Just for an example, think of ISY.  It sounds like a different song live than it does on the CD.  Its just so bland on the CD.  And "Invisible".  On the CD he sounds like Helium voice Clay, yet in person it is so much better,less boy-band and more Clay.

My fear is, we are loving these songs live (or not), but that is not how they will sound recorded and on the radio (assuming he gets radio play).  BFM is fun and just a tad edgy live, but I think, like "Invisible" it could sound very bland recorded.  Oddly, I think JY might sound better recorded because both times I have heard it, Clay has been all but drowned out by the band. 

We are discussing and "rating" these songs based on these live performances, but that may be like comparing apples to oranges when we hear the songs in their CD form, or on the radio.  In a way, I wish I were hearing them the other way around - recorded first, live second.  I am afraid if they don't sound as good on the CD I will be disappointed as I will always be remembering how it sounded live. 
Claysupporter
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2005, 09:44:46 AM »

I love Clay's new song, Back for More. I also like the Elvis' song, Suspicious mind. When I wake up every morning, the first thing I do even before breakfast is watch my GMA tape of Clay's performances and before I go to bed I have to watch the tape again. Clay looked so handsome and refresh on that show.
shaikeninseattle
Enthusiastic

On My Way Here, I THUDDED!

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2005, 10:11:12 AM »

I love Back For More.  Hope it sounds as good on the recording. Like the other one too. Hell, I just like about anything he belts out!!! ROFLMAO

Retired, but not tired!
Clayed 16 times!
breezy
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2005, 10:18:18 AM »

I don't care what Clay sings on his new CD...as long as he includes 'WHEN A MAN LOVES A WOMAN"!

The very thought of it sends my heart pounding...my temperature rising.
Her
Enthusiastic

CLAY'S #1 FRECKLE LOVER

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2005, 12:56:02 PM »

BFM-I like this new tune of Clay's-very catchy-different for him for certain..radio friendly, YES...will it be played on the radio?  toughy to answer yet I have this nagging feeling because it IS Clay, they won't play it regardless....not very optimistic of me is it?

I must listen to JY more...too busy downloading the whole package!  Purple Banana

CLAYMANIACS RULE!

Official Charter Member of the OCD

He is the beloved singing teddy bear placed near a young girl's flouncy canopied bed.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx