gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:53:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 431
Total: 431

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AIKEN NEWS NETWORK JULY 20  (Read 3638 times)
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« on: July 20, 2005, 02:03:43 AM »

wave Good Morning, everyone!! wave

Clay Aiken's Nonprofit Group Comes Under Critic Scrutiny
POSTED: 7:32 pm EDT July 18, 2005

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Critics are raising questions about how American Idol runner-up and Raleigh native Clay Aiken's nonprofit group is spending its donations.

Critics are questioning the spending habits of the Bubel/Aiken Foundation, which organizes specialized camps for children with disabilities and doles out grants to other groups.

They are focusing on a document from the Internal Revenue Service that details expenses for the Bubel/Aiken Foundation, which organizes specialized camps for children with disabilities and doles out grants to other groups.

When the tax documents surfaced, critics mounted an Internet campaign questioning how the foundation spends its money. They complain that, while expenses totaled more than $1 million in 2004, less than one-third was distributed in grants.

Travel, conference and convention line items totaled more than $300,000, which helped cover high profile galas in Los Angeles, Hawaii, and Kansas City.

Co-Founder Diane Bubel told WRAL that critics are entitled to their opinions, but that she is frustrated by misinformation.

"We're volunteering and doing something good, and all we hear is complaining," Bubel said.

She says the raw numbers can be misleading because they do not detail the costs of organizing, training, and travel for the camp in Raleigh and in Missouri.

Clay Aiken has used his popularity to promote the Bubel/Aiken Foundation.  

While not real moneymakers, the galas helped showcase the foundation using Aiken's popularity.

WRAL asked an independent accountant to break down the numbers, who pointed out that program services totaled $920,000 -- around 85 cents on every dollar donated -- which is considered a solid percentage compared to other charities.

Bubel concedes the foundation ran up higher promotion, travel, and legal expenses to establish itself nationally. She believes efficiency will improve over time.

"We have nothing to hide," Bubel told WRAL. "I'm proud of what we've done."

A spokesman for Clay Aiken told WRAL that he was too busy to comment.

Officials say that it is always a good precaution to check out a charitable organization's record; the Secretary of State's Web site is a good source.

wral
I think Diane Bubel is right. The Foundation should be proud of all they have done.
I am going to quote Pamela:
"And they should be proud. The US Department of Education recently awarded TBAF a grant in the amount of $500,000 for the purpose of creating an inclusion curriculum for grades K-12. The award was announced at the VFC gala in Florida this past April. I'm pretty sure they checked out the BAF financials before making such a prestigious award..."

Clay "is" the "News"
When Words Fail--Let Music Speak
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 02:05:59 AM »

Have You Heard? Clay Aiken launches fan club
12:28 PM EDT on Tuesday, July 19, 2005
 By WCNC.com Staff

Fans of ‘American Idol’ star Clay Aiken can now become official members of his fan club.

Aiken launched the fan club on his Web site Monday. It costs $29.95 for a one year membership. Fans will receive a letter from Aiken along with an 8x10 photo. They will also receive access to Aiken’s weekly journal.

Fans will have a chance to see Aiken perform this summer in his home state.

Aiken will perform Friday, Aug. 5 at the Booth Amphitheatre at Regency Park in Cary at 8 p.m.

wcnc*registration required*

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 02:12:56 AM »

Marshal Dillon? Roy Rogers? Gene Autry? Kids can't even ask mom who these guys are. Mom has to ask grammy. And grammy can't remember cause she's online, trading Clay Aiken news with all the other grammies

torontosun

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 02:14:13 AM »

Claymates - Take Heart!
by Tish DeMauro (2005/07/19)

The long awaited TV Guide article is here and ripples are being felt all over the ClayNation. What we have gotten is a thought provoking, remarkably candid Clay Aiken in a year that has brought him more and less than he ever expected. To be fair, like so many fans, after the first read, my heart felt some concern. When someone consistently brings you great joy, you want to believe that they too are in a wonderfully content and happy place in their life. How else could they create such rivers of love and lift up so many, if they were not filled with an endless supply of the same? Instead, what we see in this article, devoid of who knows how many other things that did not get into print, is a maturing man, coming to grips with the circumstances of his new life and daring to tell us that even with his God-given gifted voice and fabulous perks, this is a tough business and it can take a serious toll.

Read the rest here:
beavers on idol

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 02:18:18 AM »

Radio less enamored of Idols than TV
By Brian Mansfield, Special for USA TODAY
American Idol may still jump-start careers and send singles racing up charts, but when it comes to radio airplay, the debut singles from the two latest Idols are idling.

Despite a No. 1 debut a month ago on Billboard's Hot 100 chart, which is heavily weighted toward single sales, fourth-season winner Carrie Underwood's Inside Your Heaven is found only in the lower reaches of adult-contemporary and country charts, with minimal top 40 airplay. Underwood has sold 303,000 conventional singles (demolishing competition) and a less-dominant 85,000 downloads to date.

Sales for runner-up Bo Bice's version of Inside Your Heaven total 233,000 (90% conventional singles), but he hasn't made a dent in any airplay charts.

Sean Ross at Edison Media Research calls the Idol winners' first singles "conversation starters." He notes that, since first winner Kelly Clarkson's A Moment Like This, none of the contestants' showcase songs have been sizable radio hits.

Sound familiar???
Read the rest here:
usatoday

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 02:24:40 AM »

Review: 'Idol' worship for Kelly Clarkson still going strong
By BOBBY KEITH, rdkeith@naplesnews.com
July 19, 2005

Kelly Clarkson brought her "Behind These Hazel Eyes" tour to Germain Arena in Estero Friday night, the second stop in Florida on what looks to be a very successful summer tour.

Clarkson's show started with a virtual image of her lips singing "Walkaway" as she came up through the floor of the stage singing the same tune. The stage quickly became illuminated by a well-produced light show that was helped in part by the hundreds of flashes from camera phones held by an audience of mostly teenage girls.

Clarkson sang songs from both of her albums, as well as a cover song done in true "American Idol" style.

Clarkson who became famous as the winner of Fox's first "American Idol" series in 2002, is now well into her second solo tour. She seems to be doing just fine on her own. (snip)

With the possible exception of Clay Aiken, Clarkson is the the most successful former competitor, gaining a 2004 Grammy nomination and producing two albums that have both earned double-platinum sales in the United States alone.

While the mellow-rock Graham Colton Band may have catered more to the few boyfriends and dads in the audience Friday night, the band's lead singer made several points to thank her for keeping them on the ticket for both her spring and summer tours this year.

Clarkson ended the show with "Breakaway," the title song from the new album, which she reminded the audience was still No. 1 on some lists.

If one thing was clear at the end of her show, it was this: If winning "American Idol" is a dream for singers, then Clarkson's career is truly "The American Idol Dream."

naplesnewsregistration required

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 02:34:06 AM »

Have a great day, everyone!!!

Here ya go:

The Jukebox tour starts in just a few days!!    I would like to take this opportunity to remimd all members that everyone  here is very, very welcome to post any news item that they may come across. Please don't ever worry that you are "stepping on my toes" if you bring articles here.

I may need the help once the tour starts. Laughing

Clay "is" the "News"
Her
Enthusiastic

CLAY'S #1 FRECKLE LOVER

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 02:56:54 AM »

Morning Miss D.  Once again thank you for the fabulous news and have a wonderful Wednesday!

Official Charter Member of the OCD

He is the beloved singing teddy bear placed near a young girl's flouncy canopied bed.

clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2005, 03:02:38 AM »

Morning Buddy!!!

Have a great day yourself!!!

Cookie  Cookie  Cookie  Cookie

Clay "is" the "News"
lorraine
Enthusiastic

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2005, 04:57:08 AM »

GOOD MORNING DEANNA AND FRIENDS.

GOD IT IS SO HARD TO BELIEVE THAT IT IS ALMOST THAT TIME FOR OUR CLAY TO RETURN TO HIS FANS.    

I JUST LOVED THAT ARTICLE FROM "BEAVERSONIDOL".  I LOVE THAT CLAY HAS STOOD HIS GROUND AND CONTINUED TO BE THE SAME PERSON INSIDE THAT HE WAS WHEN HE BEGAN OVER 2 YEARS AGO.  STARDOM HAS NOT CHANGED HIM BUT MADE HIM HAVE TO COME TO GRIPS WITH THIS NEW LIFE.  I LOVE HIM MORE TODAY THAN I DID YESTERDAY AND WILL PROBABLY LOVE HIM TWICE AS MUCH TOMORROW.

WILL CHECK BACK FOR UPDATES.

ALSO INTERESTING ARTICLE ABOUT RADIO PLAY.  I STILL CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHY KELLY GETS ALL OF THE RADIO PLAY.  MAYBE IF THEY REALLY GAVE OTHERS A CHANCE THEIR LIGHT WOULD SHINE ALSO.  MAYBE THIS WHOLE RADIO PLAY IS REALLY FIXED.  IN MY OPINION.

HUGS
RAINEY AIKEN
sjlogghe
SuperFan

Clay's Geography Tutor

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2005, 08:45:22 AM »

Thanks for the news!!

I enjoy reading the articles that talk about the tv guide, he really has stood his ground and not buckled under being in the limelight like every other celebrity.  Makes me so proud of him, and so proud to be a fan!!

Lorraine, you're probably right on the radio thing being fixed.  Who knows what is going on, all's I know is that to the normal person it doesn't make sense!!!

Have a great day everyone!!

Faith is the substance of all things hoped for . . .
ACcountryFan
Enthusiastic

Number Cruncher

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2005, 09:40:59 AM »

"Raw numbers can be misleading because they do not detail the costs of organizing, training, and travel for the camp in Raleigh..."

=========================
First of all, i read that article twice and i still can not make any sense out of it. I quoted this because in my opinion, the BAF didn't have to address the issue because it'll give the critics more material to pick apart.

I have a problem with a part of the article that stated that "when the tax documents surfaced, critics mounted an Internet campaign questioning how the foundation spends it's money".

For starters, who are these "critics"? Does anyone know? And why mount an "Internet campaign"? If i were Clay, or member's of the BAF, i wouldn't sweat this smear campaign unless the critics are members of the IRS...i find it highly suspicious that this kind of story surfaces around the time of the year his tour is about to get underway...

Lorraine...radio in general IS fixed. They play whoever pays the bills...it's the new payola and like you, i have no definate proof as to why Kelly gets all the airplay!?! It's NOT all about the material she sings in my opinion...believe me. It's her "people" doing things behind the scenes to get her airplay...and RCA isn't doing these same things for Clay...if they were, radio would be playing Clay Aiken as much as they do anyone else selling CDs
[/color][/b]

Nostalgia Nut
ACcountryFan
~Jerry~
Claymaniac2000
UltimateFan

Clay's Butterfly

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2005, 09:49:20 AM »

WRAL asked an independent accountant to break down the numbers, who pointed out that program services totaled $920,000 -- around 85 cents on every dollar donated -- which is considered a solid percentage compared to other charities.

I think this is a very good ratio of how much money the foundation is spending on its programs and I agreee with Jerry.  Who are these critics? Where do they come from and are they not just some of Clay's detractors who want to try to cause more trouble for him?  I think $.85 on the dollar is very good and I have no problems with donating anything I can to the Foundation.

Janet Claymaniac2000
Hey Butterfly....Open up your weary eyes and realize.....It's a trip we're taking

BRETT-------WELCOME HOME
JULIE you are in my heart forever
ANGELA
Enthusiastic

A FAN FROM MASSACHUSETTS SUPPORTING CLAY 110%

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2005, 05:22:46 PM »

HELLO EVERYONE,
DEANNA THANKS FOR THE NEWS.

LORRAINE, I AGREE WITH YOU ON THE RADIO PLAY--I THINK POLTICS & MONEY  PLAY AN IMPORTANT ROLE IN RADIO PLAY.

THANKS AGAIN & TAKE CARE EVERYONE,
ANGELA

"BE HAPPY,TRY YOUR BEST & LET GOD TAKE CARE OF THE REST"
"LIZ, JULIE, JJ & CAROL OUR 4 SHINING ANGELS" "SUPPORTING CLAY 110% SINCE DAY ONE"    "
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2005, 08:07:23 PM »

Quote from: ACcountryFan
For starters, who are these "critics"? Does anyone know? And why mount an "Internet campaign"?

The "critics" are a group of people who basically have an issue with the management of TBAF.  Not Clay, nor Diane, nor the foundation itself. They basically seem to feel that all the power shouldn't be held by one person, that a single person should not hold every office. I won't give them any publicity by saying any more about them.

TBAF is a public, non profit foundation, so as with any public, non profit foundation, the public does have a right and an obligation to question anything they see fit.

However, the "critics" made a fatal mistake in taking their inquiries to the media instead of through proper channels such as the IRS.  Because since there were no irregularities found, they have been proven wrong in the media, and the foundation has been commended for it's financial ratios in the media.  

The "critics" probably feel quite foolish about right now.
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2005, 08:16:09 PM »

Clapping Pamela - I totally agree.

The best kind of friend is the one you could sit on a porch with, never saying a word, and walk away feeling like that was the best conversation you've had.
Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
lorraine
Enthusiastic

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2005, 04:34:39 AM »

PAM - I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER AFTER READING YOUR POST.  I WORK FOR A NON-PROFIT AGENCY AND TRUST ME WE DO GET FUNDS FROM DIFFERENT SOURCES BUT WE ALSO HAVE TO PROVE WHERE THESE FUNDS ARE GOING.  IT JUST SEEMS FUNNY THAT THIS ARTICLE CAME OUT ONLY A WEEK BEFORE CLAY STARTS HIS TOUR.  THANKS AGAIN.

HUGS
RAINEY AIKEN
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx