gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:11:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 406
Total: 406

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AIKEN NEW NETWORK JULY 17  (Read 3575 times)
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« on: July 17, 2005, 05:42:50 AM »

wave Good Sunday Morning to all!! wave

I am going to do something a little different with the news today.
I am going to post some reviews from the AI Tour.  Let's compare the current concert tour with the one Clay did two years ago.

Please feel free to post your thoughts on these articles. Laughing

Concert review: American Idols Live

By Deborah Wilker
Reuters
Thursday, July 14, 2005; 8:38 AM

MIAMI (Hollywood Reporter) - Given the enormous ratings generated by Fox's "American Idol," it would seem reasonable to expect that the latest postseason arena tour featuring the show's most recent finalists would, at the very least, include a few sparkling costumes, some lively choreography, maybe a set piece or two, backup singers -- anything to fill these very big buildings.

But strangely, there appears to be little money and even less imagination onstage in the new "AI" tour that kicked off Tuesday in Fort Lauderdale. In this flat, poorly paced evening, one performer after another simply trots out for two or three songs (at least one too many for most of them), primarily in the reverse order of the way they finished on the show. The various group numbers (Beach Boys hits and the like) that traditionally pad out the TV series in its final weeks and were part of previous live tours oddly are missing in action.

While such Up With People-style entertainment might not be in huge demand these days, it's crucial here because onstage individually, with virtually no production around them, most of these recent amateurs do not have the skill or presence to carry 15,000-seat arenas. Nor should they be expected to.

Canned booster tracks, poor lighting and a completely unnecessary intermission make the whole thing play more like a postseries exercise in souvenir-selling than an actual concert tour. Not until the very end, when the gang finally -- mercifully -- unites for "Lean on Me" and "R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A.," does the evening actually become a show, and by then it's too late.

Fans genuinely interested in music would be well advised to arrive later in the evening, when third-place finisher Vonzell Solomon finally appears and breaks the monotony. Filling the room like a seasoned pro with covers of "Best of My Love" and "I'm Every Woman," her spunk and star quality more than compensated for her few minor pitch problems. With the right handling, she could step up to Kelly Clarkson territory.

Ditto for runner-up Bo Bice, whose nonthreatening outlaw act and able guitar work helped put over his now-familiar renditions of "Vehicle" and "Sweet Home Alabama." However, the same can't be said of pleasant but unexciting winner Carrie Underwood, who appears to have triumphed solely because of her ability to stay unfailingly in tune. Underwood indeed does nail every note, but in a manner that's perfect for FM and not much more.

While past seasons revealed more depth in such also-rans as Tamyra Gray, Frenchie Davis, LaToya London and Jennifer Hudson, this year's models mostly are nonstarters. Even stylish Nadia Turner, who debuted so strongly on the show and then doomed herself with poor song choices, does little to get us back in her corner. Only the continually improving Nikko Smith would seem to have any breakout possibilities.

Stripped of the series' suspense angle, slick production, personable host (where's the ubiquitous Ryan Seacrest when you really need him?) and the comic banter of Paula, Randy and Simon, it all adds up to very little. The strict boot camp these hard-working kids endure while participating in the series certainly is intense, but it's clearly not enough to create instant stars.

washington post

Clay "is" the "News"
When Words Fail--Let Music Speak
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 05:43:52 AM »

American Idol 2 Summer Tour Concludes..
With the American Idol concert series concluding in Anaheim California on August 31st, North American pop music lovers and masses of rabid American Idol fans were entertained by the multi-city tour that featured the fourteenth minute in some of the finalists fifteen minutes of fame, and marked only the beginning for several other finalists...who learned the ropes of what a long concert tour was all about.

A fondue of cheesiness for the masses, the American Idol tour featured finalists Charles Grigsby, Carmen Rasmussen, Julia DeMato, Rickey Smith, Kim Caldwell, Trenyce, Kim Locke, the thinking woman's hearthrob Clay Aiken, and the American Idol winner, Ruben Studdard. The show featured the songs the finalists performed on the series, along with group performances, witty banter, and dancing...all accompanied by a top notch band, dancers and great lighting and the usual concert effects. The dichotomy between the truly talented and the mediocre was glaringly obvious, with performers such as Grigsby, Caldwell and Rasmussen fortunate to be there, a memorable summer tour as they plan their next career move. Since anyone appearing on television has a certain amount of recognition, perhaps we'll be seeing these three appearing in summer stock or country fairs down the road. Wish ya luck in the future, say a prayer..

Pleasant surprises were the performances of one Julia Demato and Trenyce, DeMato more relaxed, more assured than her nervousness during the American Idol competition. Her interaction with Aiken during several numbers was very sexy, as sexy as a family show could allow, but was a plus to both DeMato AND Aiken, very entertaining. Trenyce, who still brings to mind a young Tina Turner, was consistently great during her performances, lots of energy and ambition.

Rickey Smith still inspires and brings a smile to any and all who witness his happy go lucky demeanor and listen to his versatile voice, he's very comfortable onstage, and is a great crowd pleaser. Kim Locke, or Klo, as she's affectionately known, demonstrated her amazing vocal ability with her solo songs and her duets awed the masses as well.

Ruben Studdard, the American Idol winner sang his American Idol final song and Top 40 hit, Flying Without Wings, Superstar, and sang an upcoming song from his soon to be released debut album. Ruben was Ruben, all dimples, pointing and a bit of dancing and humor mixed in. His mixture of traditional soul, pop standards and rap showed that Studdard is capable of different musical styles, but is stronger with some than with others. He'll find his groove now that the Pop tour is out of the way, his fan base firmly established.

Clay Aiken, runner up to Studdard in the final, was clearly the star of the tour. Aiken did more for audiologists through the land, what with the ear piercing screaming of the collective masses of Aiken supporters, who made this tour seem at times like Clay Aiken and Friends LIVE!, than the American Idol/Pop Tarts tour that is was supposed to be. Aiken's fanatical following of frenzied female loyalists made security issues such that Aiken had a massive security guard name Jerome, who became a mini celebrity amongst the Aiken fans, for his dedication to Clay, and his ability to allow who would be chosen to venture to the promised land..otherwise known as the meet and greet or backstage passes. Fans inundated the stage when Aiken appeared with various items, including the somewhat tired panty toss, made hilarious by the wholesome Aiken, and his slight embarrassment, and Studdard's hilarity at the frivolity. Aiken was all business when it came to performing, showing he owns the stage, knows what it takes to please the audience, leaving them gasping for more. His 'dancing' may have brought to mind Greg Brady than Greg(ory) Hines(RIP), but his hip shake and thrust coach earned his/her pay, for during the American Idol show, it was a joke, on the tour, the female fans swooned. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn, and an Aiken can be taught to dance..adequately. Somewhere, Paula Abdul cries softly...

Aiken gave the audience a preview of his soon to be released album with the song 'Invisible'..an uptempo hit to be that showcased Aiken as more than the ballad boy American Idol made him seem. He also sang This Is The Night, his top selling hit from this summer, and sang duets with many of the group. Perhaps the best thing that came out of his fan base frenzy was the establishment of the Bubel/Aiken foundation, one which raised thousands from generous fans along the tour, benefitting Autism programs, one close to Aiken's heart.

The concerts also had many great group songs, and comedic banter throughout, ending with God Bless the USA, the group song recorded during the past Iraqi crisis, and was met with mixed reviews.

Aiken, Studdard and Locke are very likely to continue to bask in the glory that American Idol 2 provided them and use that fortuitous boost to their future musical careers. It's been a blast for the past eight months, and new auditions for American Idol 3 have been taking place, getting ready to see if there's another future star on the horizon, or the next Justin (who?) Guarini to be thrust upon us once again.

Ray Courtright Jr.

elites tv

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 05:45:14 AM »

Postcard from the road: American Idols Live
By Whitney Matheson, USA TODAY
Event: American Idols Live
The setup: Ten of American Idol's 12 finalists performed alongside a live band on a simple white stage, not unlike what viewers saw on the show. Two jumbo screens projected the singers' performances; before the concert, they delivered music videos and advertisements (mostly for Pop-Tarts, the tour's sponsor). In the lobby, a merchandise table, sign-making station, photo booth, karaoke area and dance floor kept fans entertained before the first act.

The crowd: Mothers and daughters occupied most of the seats here, especially on the floor. (Generally, the higher the seat, the tamer the concertgoer.)

Hottest act: Bo Bice received the most ear-splitting screams, and he repaid the favor by strapping on an electric guitar and delivering the night's loudest performance with Sweet Home Alabama. Miami native Nadia Turner also got fans on their feet with a sizzling version of Try a Little Tenderness.

Most improved: Anwar Robinson sounded better onstage than he did as an Idol contestant. Like Bice, he demonstrated his instrumental skills, manning the keyboard on Stevie Wonder's Superstition.

Venue: 20,000-seat Office Depot Center in Sunrise, Fla. (near Fort Lauderdale)

Needs improvement: Scott Savol couldn't muster much enthusiasm with his cover of Phil Collins' Against All Odds. However, he did win the crowd's favor with Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse of the Heart, sung as a duet with Jessica Sierra.

Memorable moment: Anthony Fedorov peppered his performance of Marc Anthony's I've Got You with hip-swinging Latin dance moves. (As viewers may remember, Simon Cowell wasn't a fan the first time around.) Said Wendy Mathwich, a concertgoer who accompanied her 14-year-old niece: "He looked like he's improved."

Artist comments: Most performers kept chatter to a minimum, though some, including Constantine Maroulis and Nikko Smith, ventured into the crowd to greet fans. Before closing her set with single Inside Your Heaven, headliner and Idol winner Carrie Underwood thanked the crowd and said, "You guys have all put us where we are."

usa today

Clay "is" the "News"
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 05:47:07 AM »

American Idols Live!
By KEVIN C. JOHNSON Post-Dispatch
08/18/2003

Let's face it: The real reasons most of us watched "American Idol" for two seasons had nothing to do with the singing. We enjoyed hearing judges Simon Cowell and Randy Jackson bash the contestants and soaked in the manipulative drama as the dreams of singing aspirants were dashed weekly.

As for the music, it was merely a backdrop. And taken out of the competitive context of the show, as it is on the "American Idols Live!" tour that came to the Savvis Center Sunday night, discriminating fans are left with a heap of scraps with a few tasty morsels mixed in. For every Ruben Studdard or Clay Aiken, there were three Charles Grigsbys.

Grigsby opened the show, which drew more than 9,000 fans to the Savvis Center, with his rendition of Stevie Wonder's "Do I Do," marginal even by "American Idol" standards. The same goes for Rickey Smith, whose take on Michael Jackson's "The Way You Make Me Feel" left little reason to want to hear more from him. His question to the crowd - "Are you ready for your next act?" - couldn't have come too soon. Julia DeMato then followed with Christina Aguilera's "Beautiful."

At least they were really singing, which is more than can be said for some of the famed pop stars they want to become so badly.

One by one, the second-season "American Idol" finalists (minus Corey Clark, Joshua Gracin and Vanessa Olivarez) had their turn in the spotlights against the backdrop and visuals seen on the hit show. Kimberly Caldwell and Carmen Rasmusen, the visual stunners of the bunch, provided more to look at than to listen to on their "rock chick" numbers.

Performances got better as the set progressed.

"American Idol" winner Studdard, who closed out the show's first half, was in full Luther Vandross mode, his favorite, on "Superstar" and "Never Too Much." A sleek Trenyce, looking more much glam than her unearthed mug shot, came with "Proud Mary." As Tina Turner, she's no Beyonce, but we'll take her. Kimberly Locke brought reserved star power to Freda Payne's "Band of Gold."

Based on the screams he drew and the amount of homemade signs thrown up during his every appearance, Clay Aiken, who preceded Studdard, drew the most people to the concert. His fans are among pop's most rabid. Clay's overly dramatic "This Is the Night" was just what fans needed to send them over the top.

The show's second half, which contained many collaborations, had moments as painful and as pleasing as the first, beginning with the men offering bad cabaret on "The Lady Is a Tramp." The women then spiced it up a bit with Destiny Child's "Bootylicious," with the two songs oddly juxtaposed.

Studdard and Aiken exchanged some awkward dialogue as a prelude to an awful "The Girl Is Mine," and both previewed a song from their upcoming CDs. Studdard's "Can I Get Your Attention" was surprisingly awful as Studdard crooned and rapped something about thugs on the corner and shot-calling. He redeemed himself later on the faux-anthem "Flying Without Wings" and with Locke on the Janet Jackson/Vandross duet "The Best Things in Life Are Free."

Aiken's "Invisible," treated as though it were already a No. 1 hit by his fans, gave him a tiny bit of edge that "This Is the Night" lacked. Another song, Elton John's "Can You Feel the Love Tonight," also showcased him well.

Locke sparkled on the classic "Over the Rainbow," while Trenyce's Whitney Houston routine on "I Have Nothing" and "I'm Every Woman" showed her strengths. Grigsby and Smith continued showing their shortcomings on Prince's "Let's Go Crazy." And a Bee Gees medley - featuring all the Idols and songs like "How Deep Is Your Love," "Stayin' Alive" and "Night Fever" -ran too long.

As the Idols wrapped up the extended evening with John Lennon's "Imagine" and the flag-waving finale of "God Bless the U.S.A.," it was clear this was the last time we'd be seeing some of these people on a major stage. And we're left mildly soothed by that thought.

Critic Kevin Johnson
E-mail: kjohnson@post-dispatch.com
Phone: 314-340-8191

media archive

Clay "is" the "News"
lorraine
Enthusiastic

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 05:50:23 AM »

GOOD MORNING DEANNA.  

INTERESTING READING THOSE ARTICLES BACK WITH AI2 AND NOW WITH AI4.  MY MONEY IS ON AI2 AND ALWAYS WILL BE.  HAVE A GOOD SUNDAY MY FRIEND AND HOPE ALL IS WELL.

WILL CHECK BACK LATER FOR UPDATES.

HUGS
RAINEY
heater
Enthusiastic

♥ Two happy bubbles are better than one! ♥

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 06:17:25 AM »

Cool idea, Deanna!

I didn't go see the AI2 Tour, but I am going tonight to the AI4 show.  I've been kicking myself for 2 years for not having gone tot he AI2 show...they will always be my favorte "cast".  I've heard good things about the AI4 show, so I am expecting a great show and a good time.  

Thanks for all you do!  Huggles

DoubleBubbleHockeyfan
Cellcert Groupie
~Tacet Twin #1 - The Mouthpiece~
Sasha
Enthusiastic

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2005, 06:47:19 AM »

Hi Deanna, Lorraine and Heater,
                   Thanks Deanna interesting reading.  Heather I didnt go either to  Ai2,  but Im going to Ai4 on the 31th.   HAve fun at Ai4 tonight.  Deanna thanks for always keeping us up to date.

Sasha

Liz, JJ and Julie our CLaymaniancs Angels
Supporting Clay 100%
Offical member of the RBT- I miss my rbt buddy
Her
Enthusiastic

CLAY'S #1 FRECKLE LOVER

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2005, 07:05:30 AM »

Thanks M.B.!!!

What I notice about the two sets of reviews...no stand out to the show of AI4 as there was with AI2...no Clay quality this year again, but we all know that already!

I have high hopes for Bo...his first full CD will say it all!

Have a great day!

Official Charter Member of the OCD

He is the beloved singing teddy bear placed near a young girl's flouncy canopied bed.

ANGELA
Enthusiastic

A FAN FROM MASSACHUSETTS SUPPORTING CLAY 110%

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2005, 07:07:44 AM »

HELLO DEANNA, THAT WAS AN INTERESTING READ--THANK YOU.

CLAY WAS THE SPOTLIGHT IN AI2 & STILL IS IN MY HEART.

HELLO SASHA, LORRAINE, HEATHER  & JAYNE.

HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERYONE & TAKE CARE,

ANGELA

"BE HAPPY,TRY YOUR BEST & LET GOD TAKE CARE OF THE REST"
"LIZ, JULIE, JJ & CAROL OUR 4 SHINING ANGELS" "SUPPORTING CLAY 110% SINCE DAY ONE"    "
Clay's Ladylove
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2005, 09:08:24 AM »

Hello Everyone And Happy Sunday! wave  How Is Everyone Doing This Morning? I am Doing Fantastic! Those Reviews Were Pretty Good For The American Idol's Live! Tour. But THE BEST AMERICAN IDOL'S LIVE! TOUR WAS THE AMERICAN IDOL 2 CONCERT TOUR! BECAUSE "OUR HONEY" CLAY AIKEN WAS THE STAR AND IS MY FAVORITE IDOL OF ALL TIME AND ALWAYS WILL BE. I LOVE YOU CLAY HONEY! I CAN'T WAIT TO GO SEE "OUR SWEETIE CLAY" ON AUGUST 16TH AT THE TOLEDO ZOO AMPHITHEATRE! HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERYONE AND I WILL TOO. I WILL BE BACK FOR UPDATES. AND REMEMBER: "WHAT MAKES YOU DIFFERENT MAKES YOU BEAUTIFUL!" BYE! wave

HUGS, PEACE, LOVE, AND MANY BLESSINGS,

JULIE AIKEN

CLAY AIKEN: "IDOL FOUND, GAME OVER! AND MY ANGEL Angel IN THE NIGHT AND DAY AND THE LOVE OF MY LIFE!"
fantasys about clay
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2005, 05:25:55 PM »

I did go to the AI2 show and it really seemed like a Clay Aiken and friends show! We were counting them down till we got to Clay and he put on the best show! And some really sucked but when Clay came out it didn't matter anymore b/c the American Idol was on the stage!!  

I don't think any other Idol concert could compare to the Season 2. But I'm not going to this one b/c they are here the same day Clay is! I would have liked to have seen Carrie and Anthony but I would much rather see Clay!!

So those of you that are going the see the Idols have fun.. and let me know how it was!

Love ya all!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx