gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:39:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 391
Total: 391

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CHEVY AMPHITHEATER PITTSBURG PA FAN REVIEWS  (Read 3472 times)
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« on: July 15, 2005, 06:28:58 AM »

JULY 31

Clay "is" the "News"
When Words Fail--Let Music Speak
GWENN
Enthusiastic

HE'S KILLING ME!!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 06:34:25 PM »

I CANNOT HOPE TO REVIEW THIS CONCERT THE WAY CHRISTIE OR JILL DOES.  I AM NOT THAT GOOD A WRITER.  BUT I WILL SAY THAT I ENJOYED IT MORE THAN TR FOR SEVERAL REASONS.  FIRST, THE SHOW STARTED WHEN IT WAS SUPPOSED TO START.  IT WAS ORGANIZED.  I KNEW THE SHOW AND COULD SIT BACK OR STAND UP AND ENJOY.

AND I DID.  CLAY WAS IN FINE VOICE. I WAS CONCERNED SINCE IT WAS HIS FOURTH CONCERT IN A ROW  BESIDES GMA.  BUT HE SOUNDED AMAZING.  SOUND ISSUES THAT WERE NOT HIS FAULT BUT I BET SOME HEADS WILL ROLL ON THAT ONE. 

I STILL LIKE THE FIRST HALF THE BEST BUT I LOVE THE SECOND HALF ALSO.  HE TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY FORGOT THE WORDS TO WYSYLM.  I MEAN HE STOPPED SINGING AND ASKED ANGELA WHAT HE WAS SUPPOSED TO SAY.  IT WAS A RIOT.  THE CROWD WAS SOOOOOOOO LOUD AND SANG ALONG WITH THE NEW SONG AND INVISIBLE.  CLAY JUMPED OFF THE STAGE ALMOST AT THE INTERMISSIION TO GET A MALE DANCER.  4 ROWS FROM US.  CHRISTIE COULD SEE HIS EYEBALLS SPARKLE.  WELL, WITH MY EYES, I COULDN'T BUT I WAS SO SHOCKED THAT NO ONE RUSHED HIM OR MADE A FOOL OUT OF HERSELF.  IT WAS SO GREAT THAT HE COULD DO THAT.

I HAD A SILLY GRIN ON MY FACE ALL NIGHT.  IT WAS LIKE HOW YOU FEEL AFTER SOME GOOD SEX. 

GWENN

WE BUMPED INTO LAINEY.  NICE SURPRISE.

HIS VOICE WRAPS AROUND MY HEART.
KEEPER OF CLAY'S CHARM
ALWAYS AND FOREVER
cjrmax
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 11:20:58 AM »

Its funny.  I am finding it much easier to be objective the second time around.  I guess knowing what to expect helps - or hurts.

First - the negatives (over which Clay had no control).  IT WAS SO HOT YOU COULD HAVE DIED!!!  I don't mean that in the HOT connotation we use to describe Clay.  I mean temperature!  This venue was open air (although covered) and no a/c or fans.  It had to be well over 100 degrees in there by the time the place was packed with people. I felt so bad for everyone on stage!  It must have been brutal for them.

Second - the sound system sucked big time!  This is the second concert I have been to - out of four.  Both times the sound has been AWFUL. Do they carry their own sound equipment with them or use what the venue supplies?  If they have their own, they need to get their money back.  A friend who saw him at Mohegan Sun said the sound was bad there too!  In Pittsburgh there was TONS of feedback.  It got better during the second half, but it still wasn't great.

Third - as talented as his back-ups are, I think I was a little annoyed at how much they had to do.  I know he always gives them their time to shine, and that is good and kind, but this is a Clay Aiken concert, not a Clay and the Clayettes (tm Barry Holtz  Wink) concert.  He is not the lead singer of a group - he is a solo artist.  In this concert it seems more like he's more the former, not the latter.  I know he needs to take breaks, but maybe if he sang fewer medleys and more full length songs..........

Which brings me back to the complaint I had after Tom's River.  I still think the pace is too frenetic.  I have seen it twice now and still feel as if I don't know what all he sings.  The songs I remember most are the full length songs.  I believe more now than ever that  the concert would be better served with fewer songs, less medleys and more complete songs.

And again I must complain about the song choices, especially in the 60's, and for that matter his choices from MOAM (why those and not ISY or even Perfect Day or Shine - or Touch, but I knew that wouldn't happen...).  Many are so bland and pablum.  Look at the 60's.  That era had some of the most original and unique music of any decade and yet he respresented it by "Daydream Believer" and "Sugar. Sugar"?????  When I first heard that Michael Orland, he of AI fame, had a hand in this concert I cringed.  Many of the medleys and song choices seem to have his mark on them.  I think that was mistake.

In thinking about the two new songs, I still love BFM and still feel ambivalent about JY.  Part of the problem with JY is that I can't hear the lyrics (and after reading the lyrics I want to run and get my blood sugar checked!), but it seems to have the potential of being a better showcase for is voice than BFM.  I would like to hear it without the band drowning him out!  BFM doesn't really sound like Clay and may not showcase his voice to the best of his ability, but I do like it.  Its fun, its catchy.  Some have said it sounds like something Hillary Duff or Lindsay Lohan would sing.  Now, I don't have a clue what they sound like, but even if it had that same sound, would that be so bad?   They are very successful and all over the radio.  I have always believed Clay needs a big radio hit or two to expand his fan base.  Once he gets people's attention, they will buy his CD and on that CD can be songs that really show what he can do.  BFM could be that kind of song.  Perhaps JY can be too, but in concert I haven't been impressed.

That said, I think this show is tons of fun.  He has never looked hotter.  His voice sounds great (despite the terrible sound systems) and its been fun hearing new songs.  I just think I may have over done it with seeing 7 shows. I am afraid it might become stale. I have seen it twice and I think I could live if I didn't see it again - except for the idea he may try out more new songs (which he mentioned in Pittsburgh).  It truly is more like a theme park revue show (except with more talent) than a pop concert.  And that's ok.  You are meant to go to it and have a good time, maybe drool a little over Clay looking hot.  Personally, I can't wait until he tours with his new stuff and we can see Clay being Clay again.

PS - Forgot to say, the crowd in Pittsburgh was AMAZING!!!!  They had so much energy, despite the heat.  The crowd in Tom's River was so quiet.  This one was rockin and I think it energized Clay.
wvclayfan
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

Always and forever

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 09:30:20 PM »

Well, I'm finally getting around to writing my review!

First and foremost, it was so nice to meet other Claymaniacs. Bozena and Evelyn are the sweetest ladies! Gwenn and Christie, it seems like I was near the two of you. Clay was two rows in front of me when he came into the audience.

I won't elaborate on my entire day, but rest assured, it was Clay filled! Karen and Sarah (two West Virginia Clay fans) picked me up around 2:30 and we listened to "Coming Back For More" over and over! We were there early enough that we listened to some of the sound check and met other WV fans. Our waitress at the Hard Rock was a Clay fan! Karen won a M&G and got a GREAT picture with Clay. Think snuggling!!!  The three of us squealed with delight when we saw it. Of course, everyone else had to see what we were giggling about! Laughing

The concert itself was wonderful! The fast-paced nature of the show is a double-edged sword for me. On one hand, I love that you keep moving and dancing; however, it's over before you know it. All the more reason to go to more shows, I suppose. Oh ... and it started on time! I love that! Thanks Clay!

The first half is definetly my favorite. Aside from the Elvis medley (gotta love the way he works the mic), the 50's medley was the best. Clay in leather equals hot!!! I was looking forward to hearing "Unchained Melody" live for the very first time and I was impressed! For someone who was perfroming his third concert in a row, he hit those glory notes effortlessly. You couldn't help but get goosebumps when he sang "I neeeeed your love..." Solitaire was beautiful, just like it always is.

As I said above, Clay was two rows in front of me when he came into the audience. He actually picked the man out of the same row as two other WV fans (Sally and Amy). I found out, during intermission, that Amy's husband actually shook his hand. Of course, I immediately asked which hand and reached for it! Laughing Desperate, I tell ya!

The perfromances of "When Doves Cry," "Livin La Vida Loca" and "Bridge Over Troubled Water" enabled me to block out most of the second half. Those are the only three non-Clay songs I can think about! As far as WDC goes, I made the comment that Clay was really "forceful" with Angela and he can be that way with me anytime! Wink I always knew OMC could move, but the Ricky Martin song just reaffirmed that belief!

The poor guy totally forgot the words to WYSYLM. He sang the wrong verse and then nothing! We can just blame it on the heat or having to memorize 75 songs! I absolutely love CBFM, but I'm still iffy on JY. Like Christie, I couldn't make out the words. Maybe it will grow on me. My first thoughts when I heard CBFM on GMA were, "Radio play!" I can certainly see Top 40 stations playing that song! This could also be the one to expand his fan base. I certainly hope it will be his new single.

This was also the best version of "Invisible" I've seen live - complete with growling and shirt tugs. Yum!

All in all, the show was great. Sound issues and the heat were the only major problems. Oh ... and someone should tell Whitney to move over. Not to sound like a judge on AI, but Quiana made me think I was hearing "I Will Always Love You" for the first time. That girl can sing!!

~ Lindsay ~

"I will now rise from the ashes. Don't call me pretentious. I'm sitting here making my own rules."
quynn
UltimateFan

Nobody Special

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 09:07:10 AM »

This was my second Claying in a span of three days.  WOW!  I was so mesmorized by the first show in Toms River that I didn't think that initial experience could be topped, but I WAS WRONG!  If Toms River was the decadent chocolate base, Pitt was the luscious whipped cream topping............. and I'm talking about that real, authentic whipped cream, the kind you prepare with care in a chilled bowl and whip into peaks and lick  seductively from your fingers to melt in your mouth and tantalize your taste buds............not the stuff in the can!   Wink Oh so sweet!

The crowd response to Clay in Pittsburgh was awesome.  Their electric charge definitely had an effect on Clay and the other performers.  It's terrific when Clay lights up the stage, but the audience really sparked  the entire venue with an exhilarating ambiance of palpable love and appreciation for the man.  I'm still smiling and feeling that tingling throughout my entire being. 

Because I've been blessed to be able to see this concert twice in three days,  I was able to focus on different things the second time around.  At TR, the first show, everything was a surprise and all of my senses were focused on the format of the show and song sets.  During the Pitt show I was able to concentrate more on Clay and his performances.  His pants really do fit him  nicely!   Wink  We saw the Clay we had all known from the NAT.  Remember that down home, charming, chatty guy with sarcastic flare who occasionally has lyrical memory lapses?  He's back!   Laughing

After hearing so many fans say the 50's era performances were their favorites, I realize that I'm probably in the minority when it comes to my favorite era.........I just loved the 80's and 90's.  It doesn't get any better than experiencing the "Rocking Clay" up close.  Doves weren't the only things crying when that song ended.  Clay's voice.......really, it's the voice on that song that I couldn't get enough of.......on that song just took me to a far off galaxy.  I wanted to experience his voice singing that one forever, but I knew that he would soon be driving me loco with that sizzling Ricky Martin number.  shocking I wonder how long he's been practicing that one?  I know I may be some what (cough - cough) biased, but that performance is perfecto!  He says he can't dance, he can't MOVE, but Holy Crap!  If that's the case, he must have one heck of a puppeteer pulling strings from the rafters.  He didn't miss a beat.......so smooth, so slick, so suave, so SEXY!  OMG! THUD!  MORE! PLEASE! 

Clay didn't hide the fact that he was unhappy with the sound system that night.  The feed back was ear piercing at times.  He used his well crafted snark to convey his dissatisfaction to the sound crew. I would love to have been a fly on the wall back stage during intermission.   Laughing  Why does the thought of "pissy" Clay turn me on?   

I loved being able to hear the two new songs live again.  BOTH of them provide Clay with an opportunity to showcase his talent........just in different ways.  Clay rocked both songs that night and his fans held nothing back when expressing their appreciation.  I remember watching him perform "Just You".  That song must be a bitch to sing.  He's got to really soar and belt the high notes and I loved watching him reach deep inside his talent pool to do that.  For lack of a better way to describe my feelings watching him perform that song....let's just say.........I was aroused and I left dreaming of the finale.  I hope the downloads will show what I'm trying to convey.  It's just too difficult to put into words.

The show ended with probably the best audience participation of "Invisible" that I've ever experienced.  I was proud of the crowd, I was proud of Clay and I was happy to be experiencing this wonderful ride.  As with all of Clay's shows, this one ended much to soon!  It's like time just evaded us for those 2 1/2 hours and we were flying, weightless and carefree in a love zone.  How does Clay do that?  Does he have super powers over our minds, or has he been studying quantum physics?  Hmmm.  It's magic.

Thanks Clay, for ANOTHER ONE!  Smile

"You're a mystery. You have your own look. There is something very magical about your look and your voice is so pure." --Gladys Knight--
lovinclay
Enthusiastic

Clay Aiken...Character and Integrity Personified!

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 01:33:18 PM »

GREAT REVIEWS, LADIES!  I SO WISH I WAS THERE WITH YOU!  THE DOWNLOAD OF WDC FORM THIS SHOW IS "LIVIN' LA VIDA LOCA"!!!!!    shocking shocking

MICKI  

Supporting Clay, unconditionally, no matter what!

"People who read the tabloids deserve to be lied to" - Jerry Seinfield
Marilyn
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

THE EPITOME OF DECORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 10:37:41 PM »

thanks so much for your reviews, ladies--looking forward to my next claying

ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!
lorilovesgolf
UltimateFan

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 04:36:38 AM »

And once again, great reviews ladies!  Thank you  Purple Banana

"Some men walk and find their place in the world...
Some men show the world their walk."
Author Unknown.
Official Charter Member of OCD
ClayHeart
Claymaniac

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 06:35:19 PM »

Hello everyone,

I know this is a little bit late, but I just wanted to share that I was able to make a Clay convert.  I brought a friend who had never seen Clay and I believe she said, never heard him either!!  She came because my other friend had to cancel due to a death in the family.  My friend who came loved the concert and she thinks Clay can really sing (no news to all of us!!).  She really got caught up in the excitement, and even though it was a bit hot and muggy, she really got swept up in the excitement.  I think Clay really seemed to appreciate the Pittsburgh crowd's enthusiasm.  This was only my second concert, and it was fabulous!!  Hope you all get to see this concert.

Debbie
stellium
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2005, 03:27:08 PM »

Pamela said I should go ahead and post my review of Clay in Pittsburg,  even though it was ten days ago,  I have not been able to log on here and wanted to share my view of being there.   It is so nice to read others who were there,  the sound system and the heat,  yes,  but the magic of the place,  I loved it on the river and we took a gorgeous river tour on their showboat that afternoon seeing  the amphitheatre from out in the middle of the water. 

I drove the 12 hour trip home myself on Monday, and all the way there on Saturday - Sunday, as David does not see well with eye surgeries recently but he is a whiz with a map and a magnifying glass ! He was my navigator through 4 states.

I am so glad I saw Clay at this particular concert after watching some video of the previous three nights. I think it is taking him a little time to get into it and relax, have fun and realize this is going to work great, people are loving everything. By Sunday night at the Chevrolet Amphitheatre in Pittsburg, CLAY WAS HOT ! I read somewhere this was CLAYBURGH, and it was.   The audience was so into singing along and supporting every person on the stage.

Confident and funny and so gorgeous.  That was our sweet guy.   How they could perform in that heat by the river in that open air theater was amazing ! Everyone in the audience was fanning themselves and just waiting for the sun to go down, and Clay mentioned just once, "It's hot here in Pittsburg. If we're going to sweat up here, you guys have to do some dancing and singing ...." if he was going to give us some new songs at the end. No problem, honey.

The heat was so intense in back of the seating, in the open area where the booths were set up with merchandise, more than one person backed out of line in the hot sun and just went back to their seats and talked to each other there. I was nursing a blister from my shoe from all of our tourist activities that day ( boat tour, exploring the shops, meeting someone in the Sheridan, pictures at Station Square) so was just happy to sit in our perfect center seats and watch the other Clay fans with all their pins on their hats and their different colored Clay t-shirts.

Here is what I noticed for Clay's audience a little different since I saw him a year ago at the Springfield state fair : more teenage girls in large groups very excited ! More young men came with their girlfriends or men with their wives . The little girls with their parents were fierce in demanding Clay start singing, while they waved their little balloons with lights in them, and stood on their chairs to sing along. There is an entire generation of fans for Clay in the future who are now between the ages of 4 to 10 and know every song he has ever sung. Clay has them for the rest of their lives, for sure.

Clay's performances moved so fast with tremendous energy !
His voice was perfect for these tunes through the decades, and his dancing just incredible. He didn't ever look awkward or uncomfortable doing the dance steps, the way he used to. His body is perfect for dancing, long legs and flexible hips with his arms always in motion. That along with his piano playing done with such sweet concentration and no mistakes, I kept thinking, wow Clay is always moving forward and improving what he wants to do, evolving higher and higher in his performances.   

The Pittsburg newspaper review gives a nice overview of the music and a few sound problems, nothing major, but I'm sure it gave Clay fits backstage as he demanded that the feedback be fixed NOW. He seemed to know instinctively where to move onstage to keep it away. Their voices were all so strong, nothing was going to keep them from getting through!

Clay was so funny as a "Pip" while his girls sang their solo, wearing his hat and moving his shoulders and then spinning around with the others in line.

His Elvis moves were right on, a little restrained not wiggling his hips constantly, but when he did the crowd went wild. I thought "I Can't Make You Love Me" was totally powerful. He put his head down first and got very quiet before he began, to get everyone into it. I got goosebumps all over from "Back For More" at the end section of the night, and everyone around me wa so into that song, even the two young men dragged there by their girlfriends who made a few beer runs during the concert. I thought, "This one could be a major hit across the board."

Ending the night with the audience singing "Invisible" with Clay was a perfect way to finish his gift to us. This is the major change I felt in the way Clay presented himself overall: not as the superstar in the spotlight, but just a humble and simple Clay this summer after all he has been through. It wasn't about Clay Aiken, it was about the music. Not as the ego but as the Soul. He has nothing to prove anymore, he is at the top of his game, and he has the love and the fans to support him. He can just enjoy it and give back to us.
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2005, 07:48:47 PM »

stellium you made it!   wave

Thanks for the great review!

I hope everyone knows there are lots of people who live for the reviews just like the *clack!*

It's really unfortunate that so many people won't get to see this tour, so reading about your experiences is like vicarious concert experience.

Thanks very much to all.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx