gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:35:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 393
Total: 393

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Writer's Loft  (Read 9869 times)
Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2006, 08:25:37 PM »

Driving on the highway to return home from our vacation, I notice the car behind me.  It  has been there for a while, and when I turn on my signal to pass a truck or car, it follows me, and passes, too.  Always the same distance from me;  never attempting to pass me.

As I drive through small town after town, my speed drops from 75 to 60 to 50 to 40, and the car following adjusts his speed accordingly.  Sometimes, others don't slow down as much, but the car and I do.  Occasionally, it seems as if I've lost him in a town, but as my speed rises up again, I see him behind me and we begin our "partnership" again, driving, passing, on and on, mile after mile.

For some unknown reason, I have been designated the leader.  I decide how fast we go, and when and who to pass. My following car is content to let me make all of the decisions.  He never attempts to usurp my authority. 

It is not disconcerting to have the car always following behind me; it is actually comforting.  Something familiar on a long stretch of highway with scenery that is sometimes barran, but mostly unknown.  How far is he going?  Will he turn off first or will I?

And who is in the car?  I cannot see.  As I drive, I speculate about who is in the mystery car.  Is it a solitary traveler on business or a family on vacation?   Could it be someone I know?  Unlikely, but... 

Another town and all of a sudden, I realize my following car is gone.  I've been deserted.  This must be his home town, or at least a stopover.  As my speed rises and I leave this town like so many I have passed through, I feel somewhat sad that my following car is no longer with me.  No other car takes its place, so I continue on, making my way home.

Hug  *Prissy*   Music violin2 
Special memories of Julie, Joyce, Liz, Carol, Janet, Kris, and Debi
LadyC
Adults
Enthusiastic

I heart the tabloid media.

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2006, 06:10:56 PM »

Wow, Prissy!  That is beautifully written!  Did that really happen during your vacation?

You took what most would interpret as a creepy or irksome event, and you gave it a life.  Mysterious but comforting at the same time.  I actually felt sad when the car was gone, as if I'd lost a friend.

You really did a beautiful job.  Thanks so much for sharing it.  I enjoyed it a lot.

Aunt Em,
Hate you.  Hate Kansas.  Taking the dog.
~Dorothy

Prissy
Enthusiastic

Clay's Fiddlin' Poet

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2006, 10:05:28 AM »

Kris,

It did happen on this last trip.  And I never felt fear;  probably because it was in the daytime and I wasn't alone.  And on long stretches of highway, similar incidents have happened.  When the driving is boring, Skip likes to sleep, so I'm the designated driver.  Fine with me;  I don't like driving in mountains!!  Paranoid

Hugs,
Prissy

Hug  *Prissy*   Music violin2 
Special memories of Julie, Joyce, Liz, Carol, Janet, Kris, and Debi
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx