gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:48:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 435
Total: 435

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: updates for Corey Clark  (Read 31248 times)
stellium
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2005, 07:57:10 AM »

Absolutely,  Mainer, he has no social boundaries,  no limitations on what he will say.  You ask it,  he answers it bluntly.    He is a maverick,  an inconoclast,  a disrupter of the status quo and a rebel in the true sense of the word.   He delights in fighting against the authorities,  the boss,  the rules.  

I would say the main reason he was pushed out of Idol was for being a troublemaker.   Maybe the others on the show tolerate Paula's affairs because they have their own to keep secret.   But Corey is such a loose cannon,   unpredictable and dangerous,  they planted some media exposures and cut him loose.

Corey's voice,  if good enough and talented enough,  might overcome these scary parts of his personality.    The public loves outspoken and shocking men in the entertainment business,  to a point.    But he doesn't do it in a calculated way;  it is more naive and bluntly honest.
clay_fan_20
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2005, 09:09:48 AM »

the thing that gets me is, let's say they did have an affair and all, but Corey has said in many interview he did that expose and everything not to hurt Paula, he doesn't want anything bad happen to Paula, he wants to make sure we all see the thruth about the "the machine".

but he failed to do that, that expose didn't reveal anything about AI, he may revealed it in his book, but he had the golden oportunity to do it in front on 13 million people that watched the show.

he said that Paula bought him a cell phone, bought him clothes, suggest a good lawyer to him so he can voice his opinion and have a good deal for the top 12 on that season, and that's how Corey pays her?? jeapordizing her career???... Corey's problem is with AI, not with Paula, why in hell he didn't say anything about AI????.. i've read parts of what he says on his book about AI why didn't he mention that on the expose???.. afraid to being sued? i don't think so, if he has it on his book he faces the same thing.

he played his cards in a bad way, he targeted Paula, and lose credibility, no one in the media believes him, and probably what he is saying about AI is true, but in seeing how he went against Paula, what he says from now on is not going to be taken seriously...

in an article posted here, in the thread AI is rigged, it says that the FCC doesn't plan on investigate AI because is considered a reality show not a contest, so that makes me wonder that the show is really rigged, but i guess we'll never know that, we'll find out years after the show is over for good.

and i think that's the real issue Corey wanted to bring attention to, but he failed completly because of his stupidity!
mainer
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2005, 09:47:43 AM »

Hi Stellium and Monica -- I'm supposed to be working, just finishing lunch, so don't really have time to go back to review the Corey interviews and book reviews -- but think Corey's interviews were slanted by interviewers to the more salacious gossip to attract more viewers, and edited for the same reason, and that Corey was not happy with that.  

Re Idol -- he definitely is not telling all, because he is keeping some cards close to the vest -- he doesn't want to spill everything because he then has no defenses against them.  I think he's basically saying, get off my back or I'll do more damage and reveal more secrets.  I think when they ditched him, they should have cut him loose -- that their need to minimalize his career has backfired, and motivated him to fight back.

It is Corey's reckless outspokenness that has actually earned my respect -- up to a point -- because I do find him honest and believable, even if he's not the sort of guy I'd want my daughters to date!
quynn
UltimateFan

Nobody Special

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2005, 03:35:24 PM »

You've said that "American Idol" producers have attempted to blackball you from the recording industry. In what way have they tried to blackball you?

I was in contract negotiations with Jive Records right before they got an e-mail from "American Idol" [representatives] saying that, "Corey Clark is a talented guy, but we're not working with him because he was a headache and he's a criminal and he lied." I subsequently lost that deal after they sent that e-mail. So after that I ended up securing a deal at Universal's Bungalow Records with Paul Ring. He gave me a record imprint deal, which is revolutionary for a first-time artist. The deal I got allows me to control my own image and write my own music. I also get to have more control over the profits and have much more say-so in what I'm doing. Now let me explain something. "American Idol" also has a record label at Universal called Nineteen Entertainment. When they heard I had a deal with Bungalow Records, they contacted Paul Ring and tried to set up a meeting to get him to renege on the deal he had with me because they didn't want me with Universal. So Paul came to me and asked, "Is there anything else that ["American Idol"] has said publicly about you that I should know about?" So I told Paul, "Look, the stuff they said about me is lies. They're scraping the bottom of the barrel with that stuff. There's nothing else they could possibly say about me. But there is a lot I have to say about them. Things that they're trying to keep quiet." Paul's the one who found out about "American Idol" shutting down my deal at Jive Records. So when he realized that they were trying to keep me quiet by painting me as a criminal and getting my gigs canceled, he suggested I speak up and try to clear my name.

After reading the steppinoutmagazine.com article, this particular question from the writer and answer from Corey, quoted above, sent up a red flag to me.

I was in contract negotiations with Jive Records right before they got an e-mail from "American Idol" [representatives] saying that, "Corey Clark is a talented guy, but we're not working with him because he was a headache and he's a criminal and he lied." I subsequently lost that deal after they sent that e-mail.

This part of Corey's answer makes it sound like, out of the blue, AI Reps. sent an e-mail to Jive Records in an attempt to derail his potential contract with Jive Records.  I'm not in the entertainment business, but in the real world, when you are seeking employment, the company doing the hiring generally seeks references from previous employers.  Maybe Jive Records requested the info. from AI?  Corey's summation of that e-mail is also interesting.  AI did note that Corey is talented.  That sounds like a compliment.  According to Corey, AI also mentions that they did not want to work with him because he was a headache.  Well, that may be true as well.  Regardless of all the other issues that Corey has brought up about AI, maybe he is a pain the rear to work with.  Maybe AI was giving a very true assessment of Corey and maybe they were asked to provide it.  

I subsequently lost that deal after they sent that e-mail.

According to Corey, the blame for him losing the deal with Jive Records rests solely on an e-mail that AI sent to the record company.  Again, I'm not savy to the entertainment business world, but I do know that in the real world, most human resource managers require more than one reference and when they do receive a less than stellar opinion from someone, they usually investigate the causes and also provide an opportunity for the job seeker to explain.  Is it possible that the AI reference was not the only reference that indicated that Corey may be difficult to work with?  Maybe Barry Manilow's people or any of the other employers he worked for gave him a thumbs down for work ethic or attitude, etc.  My impression of Corey, based on his AI appearances and now, two years later, the intereviews and expose's, is that he may be a bit arrogant in some ways.  I have personally judged him on the basis that he says he was in love with Paula during that short period of time, all the while he admits to sleeping with Treynece somewhere in that short span of time.  Perhpas that's the way he handles his business deals as well.  Where is his focus?  Is it on his career or his libido and ego?  

As Corey stated, after failing to acquire a deal with Jive, he got a much better deal with another company.  Did AI, as Corey stated above, really shut down his deal with Jive, or did he shoot himself in the foot?  There has to be some sort of personal accountability as well.

"You're a mystery. You have your own look. There is something very magical about your look and your voice is so pure." --Gladys Knight--
stellium
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2005, 07:19:50 PM »

Without all the facts in front of you, it may appear to be all in his head,  but in other radio interviews he has explained how they have done this for the past two years since he left Idol.   He had a group he sang with,  and they would get offers to come to perform,  and at the last minute they would call and say Idol contacted them and he wasn't to come.   He was told this more than once.   They have tried to stop his career,  because if they can't make money off of a contestant,  no one can on the reputation that Idol gave him in the first place.   He is still "Their's" to do with what they choose.

As far as PrimeTime not telling about the cheating behind IDOL,  he did tell them this on the show !   He says he was shocked that they did not include it,  all they used was Paula's thing.   This was a later decision,  he says,  because he was told this is why they wanted him on the show.  And if he has entertainment industry money behind him,  they certainly would have arranged him to get on ABC Prime for the purpose of hurting Idol,  not just Paula's story.      Lawsuits were threatened,  and ABC played it safe for now.    Corey seems to think everyone is waiting until all the evidence comes out and other contestants come forward.  

Corey might be given some slack if he is paranoid now.    Up until Idol,  he performed successfully with his parents,  had his own group,  made appearances with them,  made a demo,  had his own  manager,  wrote songs,   and felt all he needed was for Simon Cowell to tell him he had a great enough voice to go all the way.    He never planned on the roller coaster of being chosen Top 12 or Paula hitting on him and dragging him into an affair.     I think he has a right to be angry if Paula is part of the reason he was kicked off the show.     Maybe she has done this many times and that is their way of dealing with it,  to send the guy home.

No one is blameless here.   No one is perfect or guiltless.   But if he is willing to help expose Idol for the sham it is,  then I say good for him.   And if he does have the voice and talent others have invested in so heavily,   then I want to hear that CD and see the DVD on the other side of that disc.
houstonclayfan
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2005, 06:09:41 AM »

He had a group he sang with,  and they would get offers to come to perform,  and at the last minute they would call and say Idol contacted them and he wasn't to come.

I would think that the people from AI would have better things to do than to keep up with Corey Clark's everyday moves. And if this is true, why did they let other "failures" become successful and record an album?: Tamyra, Josh, Carmen, John Stevens.....

As far as PrimeTime not telling about the cheating behind IDOL,  he did tell them this on the show !   He says he was shocked that they did not include it,  all they used was Paula's thing.

I am amazed that he didn't see the show and get a chance to veto it before we saw it.

Lawsuits were threatened,  and ABC played it safe for now.    Corey seems to think everyone is waiting until all the evidence comes out and other contestants come forward.  

If he has concrete evidence, then why was he worried about a lawsuit ???? I am still waiting for any evidence that he has to offer.

He never planned on the roller coaster of being chosen Top 12 or Paula hitting on him and dragging him into an affair.

He CHOSE to audition and be part of the top 12. IF the affair is true, I somehow don't think he was DRAGGED into it. Maybe she was dragged.

I think he has a right to be angry if Paula is part of the reason he was kicked off the show.

Very true BUT we need some concrete evidence to prove this is the case before we can start defending him.

Maybe she has done this many times and that is their way of dealing with it,  to send the guy home.

If this is true, then why oh why did she pick Corey over the other season 2 contestants ??? AND why hasn't anyone spoken up about it with evidence.
clay_fan_20
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2005, 08:58:54 AM »

Oh come on!!! is not like he was a minor or doesn't know what he is doing, if he had an affair with Paula is because he choose to accept it in the case she started it.

and about AI interfering with his career, like houston said, I imagine AI has better things to do that keeping up with Corey, in any case the people that were about to hire him called for references to AI and other places he worked, and thay did just that give reference, like the other post that said that he is very talented but difficult to work with.

for me he is not a victim, i'm sorry he is trying to put this image that people have abused him and victimize himself, and i hate that about people that try to make people feel sorry for them, stand up and own your own mistakes, i hate whiners!!... he's got his record deal, he's got his book deal, what more does he want? revenge? then he is just  pathetic
houstonclayfan
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2005, 09:23:36 AM »

Quote from: clay_fan_20
he's got his record deal, he's got his book deal, what more does he want? revenge? then he is just  pathetic

Amen!  Thanks, Monica.
stellium
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2005, 12:55:35 PM »

Guys,  we are not going to change each other's minds here.   I like what he is doing.   I like his voice.   I'm going to buy his CD and support him  until proven otherwise to me.    I'm not influenced by people blaming him for everything and Paula for nothing.    He is the bad one and Idol is blameless.?    I don't think so.

The man has a right to fight for his career against this huge corporation.   You don't think huge companies play little petty games with people they don't like?   They delight in that.   What else is money and power  for?
houstonclayfan
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2005, 01:57:08 PM »

I like his voice.   I'm going to buy his CD and support him  until proven otherwise to me.

If you like his voice, then by all means you SHOULD support his career in the music business, regardless of the controversy going on.  However, would you have known about the album if he didn't speak out about the possibility of him and Paula?

The man has a right to fight for his career against this huge corporation.

Yes, he does.  I am just requesting some evidence to back up his story. Until then all he says are just words with no meaning.
stellium
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2005, 07:36:55 AM »

They could have advertised the album in some other way,  but they chose this way to get the maximum publicity exposure.    How could he promote his album without telling this story?   IDOL took the facts of his arrest and edited his statement,  make him look guilty,  when he didn't do anything but try to protect his little sister from going to  juvenile hall and just wanted the police to wait until his parents got home,  but Corey is not the kind of guy to be polite and gentle about it,  he ended up getting arrested and fighting with them.   The charges were dropped,  then reinstated which he didn't know,  and this is why he didn't talk to IDOl about it.

But to come out with an album when he has never been able to tell his side of the story,  that maybe he was kicked off for sleeping with Paula as well as being a troublemaker about the contracts that Paula helped him get a lawyer for,   that he is not a sister-beater or a felon,   it would not have been accepted as well as it might be now.  

This is the big chance for him to get his career started again,  and this is the whole world to him,  what he has been in his entire life with his parents and since.    His morals and methods might not be approved of,  but I understand the reason for fighting against Idol and using the media attention to get his album sold.     He isn't running for Pope,  he isn't claiming to be a nice boy,  he is the dangeorus and courageous Corey.

I just hope the album is truly an outstanding effort to justify his methods.
mainer
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2005, 10:16:02 AM »

Won't this all seem silly if the CD is no good?  Corey is a very good singer -- already proven on AI2 -- but will his songwriting measure up?

ABC may have been worried about a lawsuit, or they may have just felt that their prime time minutes were best spent on the more salacious stuff.  Corey is not worried about a lawsuit.  He has been asked about this in interviews, and he replies that people can sue you for lies, slander, but not for the truth.  (Actually, people can sue you for anything -- but he seems confident that he has the evidence and alibis to support his truth.  Remember, there is supposedly a gag order on AI2 contestants -- if anything ever went to court, their oaths would overpower any gag orders.)

As I understand it, Corey did not start fighting with the police -- they took him outside and clobbered him in his driveway.  (I think this is called police brutality.)

Difficult?  Clay is difficult.  He knows what he wants.  He even stood up to Clive Davis.  We are talking about creative artists here, who will stand up for themselves and their work.  Idol didn't like their contestants having fair legal represention, so they labelled Corey "difficult?"

Corey has said he didn't feel like a victim where Paula was concerned.  He knows they were both consenting adults.

He has written a song about Paula, with the word Paula -tics in the title -- life and art are intertwined.

The judge dismissed the charges against Corey Clark, so there was nothing to reveal.  Unbeknownst to him, the state reinstated the case -- ever wonder why? or who was behind the reinstatement of a dismissed case, where no victim came forward asking for a reinstatement?  Idol had Corey make a video talking about it, not telling him why, then edited ithe vidoe to make it seem like an explanation for his leaving the show -- and dismissed him two days later.  The state, of course, also dismissed the charges against him.  

The telephone records certainly show that Paula was much more involved with Corey than any kind of professional assistance would warrant or explain.
houstonclayfan
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2005, 10:38:47 AM »

They could have advertised the album in some other way,  but they chose this way to get the maximum publicity exposure.    How could he promote his album without telling this story?

Stellium, it was Corey's choice to advertise it this way, which to me, makes him less of a true artist, regarless of whether or not he is being honest. How could he promote it without telling his story ?  Clay didn't have a story to coincide with MOAM and he did quite well.  Do you see Bo telling a story to promote his new CD, which is #3 on Amazon ?  Professional musical artists promote their music, not their love life.  

His morals and methods might not be approved of,  but I understand the reason for fighting against Idol and using the media attention to get his album sold.  

I understand too - he is trying to find a sleezy way to make money. Why else would he do it ?

The telephone records certainly show that Paula was much more involved with Corey than any kind of professional assistance would warrant or explain.

Mainer, how do you know that was Corey's phone bill?  How do you know for sure that was Paula's number? Do you have another contestants phone bill to compare that one to?  How do you know that she didn't spend as much time with others?

Most importantly, who cares if he did sleep with Paula?  Its none of our business. The point is that he is telling the world about his sleezy love life (remember that he slept with Trenyce too!) just to make money! A person with high morals wouldn't do that.

Yes, he may have more to say about AI, but why is he trying to say it?  Again to make money for himself.  That is all that he cares about. People volunteer to be on AI and go along with what they say. You can exit any time.
stellium
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2005, 06:17:47 PM »

Corey will be performing his own songs on SOUL TRAIN this Weekend,  on Saturday,  June 4th.   My TV GUIDE says noon in Chicago,  but  I don't know what other time others cities might have.    He is sharing the hour long show with Ciara.
mainer
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2005, 08:44:35 PM »

Houston Clayfan --

Mainer, how do you know that was Corey's phone bill? How do you      know for sure that was Paula's number? Do you have another contestants phone bill to compare that one to? How do you know that she didn't spend as much time with others?

Phone records were verified, as I recall , by ABC -- although I did, in a post of mine somewhere (or was it an email) suggest -- somewhat facetiously -- that maybe Corey was on the phone with Paula's maid....I have no doubt that if Paula had been as heavily invested in the other contestants' lives, they would have come forward in their support of her and stated that she'd been on the phone with them, all the time, including when they were home over Christmas, too.  I'm no judge and this is no trial -- but without hands-on evidence, it certainly seems to me like Corey got special treatment.  

: Most importantly, who cares if he did sleep with Paula? Its none of our business. The point is that he is telling the world about his sleezy love life (remember that he slept with Trenyce too!) just to make money! A person with high morals wouldn't do that.

I personally think it is wrong to hold a talent contest of sorts, where a judge and contestant have a special secret relationship which might compromise the judge's endorsements of competitiors or of that contestant. ( Fox's argument is that it doesn't matter because America votes...(or does it, another problem area).  Even the FCC says Idol is entertainment and not a real contest.  This is something we have suspected since Clay and Ruben, and now understand better perhaps after Corey Clark has come forward. )  Corey and Paula (according to Corey) also felt it was wrong and for that reason kept it quiet.  Much worse, since Corey didn't stay in the contest, are the allegations about Kimberley's affair, with the son of the producer, taking place during the contest -- I think we all remember when the judges appeared to warm to her and cool to Trenyce;  when Kimberley outperfromed all the odds on her.

Because of the time we spend voting, not just watching, I feel Idol has a moral obligation not to abuse us,  its audience, with pretense but to run a tight ship.  I think they should be very firm about special realtionships or friendships between contestants and "judges" during the actual contest.  The only reason some are concerned about an affair between Corey and Paula is because of what it reveals about American Idol.  However, it may help sales of both of their CDs -- Corey's coming sooner than Paula's -- because of the publicity aspect.  It may help Paula to be taken more seriously by younger listeners because the association with a younger man may be perceived as making her appear more youthful.

I'm sure the record co. exec. that suggested that Corey come forward with his story did so because of the $$$ associated with the notoriety, and Corey -- as all entertainers -- is a business person as well as a performing artist, and has financial motivation built into his motivation to be a career singer-- even if the financial value of his coming clean was seen largely in countering the false press Idol had put out on him earlier -- and which characterizations had been having a dampening effect on his career.  I think he largely wanted to preempt Idol's anticipated (based on claimed experience) efforts to marginalize him, and set the record straight as to what really went on with his departure from AI..  I'm not a judge of anybody's morals -- although, as I've said, he's not the kind of person I'd want dating my daughters.  I also don't think he is any  James Hewlitt, either .
houstonclayfan
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2005, 05:25:40 AM »

maybe Corey was on the phone with Paula's maid....

exactly!

I have no doubt that if Paula had been as heavily invested in the other contestants' lives, they would have come forward in their support of her and stated that she'd been on the phone with them, all the time, including when they were home over Christmas, too.

Clay said in his interview that Paula was the most helpful, always supportive of everyone, etc. Maybe others didn't want to get involved....  I don't think that I would if I were in their situation. Maybe it was Corey calling Paula all the time for advice, etc. Maybe she would have helped the others equally if they asked for it. We just don't know.

I'm no judge and this is no trial -- but without hands-on evidence, it certainly seems to me like Corey got special treatment.  

The key phrase here is WITHOUT HANDS-ON EVIDENCE. Without evidence, we can't make ANY conclusion.  It is not fair of you to "convict" Paula with no evidence.

I personally think it is wrong to hold a talent contest of sorts, where a judge and contestant have a special secret relationship which might compromise the judge's endorsements of competitiors or of that contestant.

I do agree with you but obviously, if it is true, then it didn't get him very far in the competition or even a recording contract afterwards. Obviously, she isn't as powerful as he believed her to be. I would feel differently if AI discovered the affair during AI2 while he was still a contestant. I would agree that something should be done at that point - to be fair to the other contestants. BUT IT IS 2 YEARS LATER! and Paula hasn't helped Corey at all. Corey just wants attention and money, which in my opinion, belittles his character.  

Because of the time we spend voting, not just watching, I feel Idol has a moral obligation not to abuse us,  its audience, with pretense but to run a tight ship.

I agree completely but right now this is about Paula and Corey and not AI. Corey hasn't said anything about AI.

The only reason some are concerned about an affair between Corey and Paula is because of what it reveals about American Idol.

I will be concerned too when and if I see some real evidence. Regardless, we still need to remember that it is just a TV show.

However, it may help sales of both of their CDs -- Corey's coming sooner than Paula's -- because of the publicity aspect.  It may help Paula to be taken more seriously by younger listeners because the association with a younger man may be perceived as making her appear more youthful.

Maybe but I personally think that both of their CDs are still not going to sell very well. Both of them have been out of the music spotlight for too long and with CD releases, it is all about the music.
stellium
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2005, 06:06:52 AM »

Don't forget if you are interested in seeing Corey perform, he will be on stage for the one hour show. He sings two of his own songs he has written. Warning: this show and its dancing is not Clay Aiken in Kansas anymore, it can be offensive to some.

SOUL TRAIN, June 4th, Saturday.

My TV GUIDE says noon in Chicago, but I don't know if other cities have it on at other times?

This is the schedule being released on his fansites for the show:

SOUL TRAIN (SAT. JUNE 4 ). Mike Jones/ Corey Clark/ Ciara music video
guests: Mike Jones (Himself) Corey Clark (Himself) Ciara (Herself (video))

--Corey Clark "Chance to Dance" and "Paula-tics"
--Mike Jones "Still Tippin" and "Back Then"

Music Video: Ciara "Oh"

I was noticing on the CoreyClarkLoveTrain fansite, in their member lists of almost one thousand people now, they have the board names alphabetically and the date they joined, and on every page of that, five out of twenty on the average have joined since May 2005 began. There are 48 - 50 pages of names, and they have added about 300 people since May. Just one site of many on the Net.

Corey posts every few days, usually late at the end of his day, and he says there are people on the site who began LoveTrain during Season 2 of Idol:

"These fans that created this site and have been here since day one will appreciate reading [everything] i'm sure, they seem to know more about me than me sometimes. It's kinda funny. I look forward to reading these more often. It's good to hear some good news for once, even it's just a little magic." ( from cdclark 6/2/2005 1:22 AM)
stellium
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2005, 01:41:03 PM »

LaToya London will be on SHOW TRAIN next Saturday. Hope somebody saw it today or will see it with Corey.

Corey was just on , and he showed his voice could soar and dance at the same time. Excellent appearance. He looked handsome and sharp, in a black and grey tshirt the first song, and a bright red shirt the second song later. What he stood out in compared to the other guest is that Corey can talk in an articulate and intelligent manner, appearing sweet and nice in his attitude.

Host Dorian Gregory called Corey 'a super-gifted young man" when he introduced him, and later said "By now, the whole world knows that you deliverd some stand-up stand-out and just awesome performances on American Idol." He stressed in talking to him that Corey wrote or co-wrote all the songs on his new album coming out June 21. Corey said that Idol showed him how to work the media game, and that he really appreciates that they gave him the chance "to put my face out there in front of millions". He said it's really important to show people what he is about, that his album is just not some pre-manufactured record. He had a lot of imput into the lyrics, and he hopes it will ...."help people to connect with me."

His first number, "Chance to Dance", from his album, showed Corey performing the dance moves with two other dancers that he has been working on in the dance studio in Los Angeles that they showed on Prime Time . His time there has paid off, the audience of young teens loved him, and the song has some good hooks to it. "Baby Girl, it's all right.... if you start to feel like... you want to talk all night......" I really like this music to this one, and have played it back a lot.

He is the only guest to appear on the first half of the show. The second half has two rap numbers by a rapper from Texas, Mike Jones, on each side of Corey's second song.

Corey's second number was the "Paulitics" story of Paula contacting him, warning him not to tell, threatening him, and then dropping him. Corey sings, "You took advantage of me ......, straight up." He sang this one at a microphone, then took it off and moved back and forth across the stage, very close to the audience.

Talking to the host, Corey said he learned a lot about how to deal with the media on Idol2 and is "substituting" those methods now. He wants to make sure that everyone knows the songs on this album are to show who Corey Clark really is, all his own work, and he is so excited to be here on the show. "This is Soul Train, man !"

Like an excited child, he looks happy and full of wonder at the start of his new career. He broke a lot of girls' hearts today with those liquid eyes and excited way. Something a little boyish and appealing about him, you just want to give him your support. He was definitely charming. June 21st, here he comes !
mainer
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2005, 06:42:41 AM »

Wow Stellium -- such a terrific review, wish I'd seen the Soultrain performance.  I appreciate your description for all of who missed it!
!
stellium
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2005, 08:32:26 AM »

Here is a good review of his e-book from a fan. I have not read it yet as I have not been able to download it, but these details are interesting into the personality of the guy and his determination to keep going, a sense of destiny in him I think:

From "Dorrie" , Virginia Beach, VA,
http://www.thabiz.blogspot.com/2005/05/book-review-corey-clark-they-told-me.html

Book Review-Former American Idol Contest Corey Clark's Book They Told Me To Tell The Truth So...The Sex, Lies and Paulatics

Former American Idol Corey Clark has really gotten himself some major buzz for his new album. The 24 year old singer is has a record deal with Bungalow Records and his album is finished.

While the May 5th episode of Prime Time Live focused primarily on Corey's relationship with Paula, his e-book They Told Me To Tell The Truth So...The Sex, Lies and Paulatics of One of America's Idols is much more about Corey and his struggles with his music career moreso than his relationship with Paula.

The book is written in very easy to read language, and it's simplicity is charming because it reads as if it is coming from the voice of the subject verses an editor. The early chapters discuss Corey's early life. We are informed of details such as the fact that his dad was born in 1949 and his mother was born 10 years later. He is of mixed heritage and has a half-sister that he once searched for. The reader is enlightened with information about Corey's high school antics and former girlfriends.

The book gets really interesting when Corey starts discussing the many strides he has taken over the years to find success in the entertainment industry. Many people may not realize that Corey has been doing this way before American Idol. Once a member of a group, Corey experienced many ups and downs. It appears his groups early strategy was to try to meet someone famous, another artist, and to see if maybe they could hook them up or put them on. He discusses how the group met Boyz to Men on several occasions. They sang for Ralph Tresvant and he was impressed. They met R&B singer Monica at a restraunt and sang for her despite her entourages objection.

He appeared on the Lisa Left Eye series-The Cut, but lost. He also was a part of the second season of the WB series Pop Stars. He expresses that despite his involvement with that season his airtime was significantly cut. Getting a deal was always the plan but never seemed to work out. He states in the book that his group was offered a $400,000 contract from Blackground Records, but passed on the deal in hopes of landing a rumored $2 million dollar deal from Disney/Hollywood. When that didn't work out, there was no deal.

There are many celebrity sightings in his book. Corey claims to have dated former Destiny Child member Farrah Franklin. He states that Mathew Knowles gave his group some good advice regarding management, but they didn't sign with Knowles because certain things in his contract turned them off.

Everybody wants to know, what about American Idol? American Idol is actually a small part of the book. Significant, but hardly the chunk of the book. Corey details how he got involved with the competition and shares insight about other members from his season. It sounds like behind the scenes he and the other cast members had fun. The information regarding Paula Abdul is much more detailed than on the Prime Time Live special. He provides very intricate details about her house, names other people in her inner circle and his interaction with them, and so on. As for the sex and actual affair, Clark is very vague. He mentions the phone calls and says simple things like, "we had sex," but it's very plain.

This could be because clark is not a novelist and a better editor might have been able to allow him to reach as a writer. The explosive thing that might shed a little light on Clark's percieved bitterness is that he confided in Paula about his arrest. She and him discussed the incident prior to the show finding out. He states he hid out with good friend Tracee Ellis Ross after he left American Idol to avoid the press.

The book is a quick and exciting read. Although it is an E-book, it's easy to read and you will probably read all 132 pages in a short amount of time because it's interesting. After reading the book, you will also see that Corey has more animosity with the American Idol system, more so than with Paula. The American Idol contract, which he was still under for quite some time after he left the show put stipulations on his career. Even though he had recorded a song for the season two CD, he wasn't allowed to tour with the group. He also alleges that powers that be were blacklisting him in the industry telling labels that he was a "troublemaker," and "difficult to work with." He even has a clothing line named with 4 initials of letters for words that tell what he wants to say to American Idol.

The last few chapters make an attempt to help people who wish to pursue careers in entertainment. Corey offers song writing tips and their is also a chapter about getting a deal. Clark has been hard at work in the industry for quite some time and it appears that things are working out for him.

His first single, "Wiggle and Shake" is a bouncy uptempo song perfect for the summer. Corey has a beautiful voice and will remind many of a young El Debarge. They Told Me to Tell The Truth So... is available from www.coreyclark.com/ . With purchase of the $9.99 e-book you also get a download of Clark's first single.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx