gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:15:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 444
Total: 444

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Poll
Question: And your favourite AI winner is....
Kelly Clarkson - 29 (64.4%)
Ruben Studdard - 1 (2.2%)
Fantasia - 1 (2.2%)
Carrie Underwood - 14 (31.1%)
Total Voters: 31

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: American Idol the Show - Media & Discussion  (Read 31693 times)
Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2009, 09:38:08 PM »

August 4, 2009, 11:16 pm
Paula Abdul Says She Will Leave ‘American Idol’
By Brian Stelter AND Edward Wyatt

After weeks of negotiations with the producers of “American Idol,” Paula Abdul said Tuesday evening that she was leaving the top-rated singing competition.

“With sadness in my heart, I’ve decided not to return to #IDOL,” Ms. Adbul wrote on Twitter.

“I’ll miss nurturing all the new talent,” she wrote, “but most of all being a part of a show that I helped from day 1 become an international phenomenon.”

Fox had no immediate comment.

Her apparent decision came one day after Fox said Kara DioGuardi would return as a judge next season. The show is preparing for the first appearance, later this month, of potential contestants for the show’s ninth season before the judging panel.

Ms. Abdul’s contract expired at the end of last season, and she had been negotiating for a substantial raise from the estimated $2 million that she earned last year.

Ms. Abdul had said that she wanted to return to the show, and Fox Broadcasting and the show’s producers had said they want her back. Last week on Twitter she had written, “I hope you can understand I can only return to Idol if the deal is fair.”

nytimes.com

“We cannot tell the precise moment when friendship is formed. As in filling a vessel drop by drop, there is at last a drop which makes it run over. So in a series of kindnesses there is, at last, one which makes the heart run over.” James Boswell
Jan
UltimateFan

« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2009, 10:26:11 AM »

Michelle

Paulas leaving Idol is very bad news. Afraid I cannot take the new girl, she just does not do a thing for me but make me grind my teeth.
Paula gave American Idol a little fun and some class. I have always liked her and probably will not be an American Idol watcher anymore.
I think A1 will suffer with her loss.

Jan aka Jeanne

Because of you, I am confident enough to say that there is a better day on the way, even when I cannot see it.
Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2009, 08:32:25 AM »

Victoria Beckham lands dream role as new America Idol judge

By Natalie Trombetta
Last updated at 1:41 PM on 06th August 2009

American dream: Victoria Beckham will join Idol as a guest judge

In the wake of Paula Abdul's surprise exit from American Idol, Simon Cowell has called on a old friend to join him on the judging panel - one Mrs Victoria Beckham.

The former Spice Girl has so far agreed to make one guest appearance on the show for a rumoured £155,000.

Her spokesperson told Mail Online: Yes Victoria will be making a "one off" appearance as a guest judge.'

The singing contest is still the highest-rating programme in the U.S. drawing an average of 26.3 million viewers per episode, making the role an impressive coup for the former Spice Girl.

She has been steadily building her profile in the since her move to the U.S. in 2007 but has yet to really make her big break.

Her appointment may come as a surprise to some, considering that even by her own admission she is not a particularly good singer.

'I worked hard at it,' she recently admitted, but: 'I was never going to be the best singer or dancer.'

A source says Posh is not interested to take over Paula's role permanently.

She is still determined to concentrate on her fashion projects, according to the insider, and is currently working on the upcoming launch of her new collection at New York fashion week in September.

Abdul announced just yesterday that she was leaving the show after eight years.

'With sadness in my heart, I've decided not to return to Idol,' she posted on her Twitter page last night.

While the TV talent show judge did not expand on her reasons for leaving the programme, she had been lobbying for a significant pay raise during negotiations for a new contract in recent months.

She was said to be particularly annoyed after hearing reports host Ryan Seacrest had secured a $45 million, 3-year deal, while she was being offered a rumoured $2 to $3million a year.
American Idol

Insiders claim she asked for about $20 million to continue with the show but was offered a total multi-year deal worth $10 million.

Abdul's message continued: 'I'll miss nurturing all the new talent, but most of all being a part of a show that I helped from day one become an international phenomenon.'

'What I want to say most, is how much I appreciate the undying support and enormous love that you have showered upon me.

'It truly has been breathtaking, especially over the past month.'

The rest of the judging panel, which includes Randy Jackson, Kara DiGuardi, and of course Cowell, will all appear on the next series.

Read more: dailymail.co.uk

“We cannot tell the precise moment when friendship is formed. As in filling a vessel drop by drop, there is at last a drop which makes it run over. So in a series of kindnesses there is, at last, one which makes the heart run over.” James Boswell
Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2009, 09:01:37 AM »

Simon Cowell finalizing 'Idol' deal
Likely to stay on the show for at least three more seasons

By Nellie Andreeva

Aug 10, 2009, 11:00 PM ET

Simon Cowell will be a judge on "American Idol" for at least three more seasons.

During the second-quarter earnings call of CKX, parent company of "Idol" co-producer 19 Entertainment, CKX chairman and CEO Robert Sillerman indicated that Cowell is finalizing a deal with Fox to continue on the top-rated reality show.

Cowell, heading into the final year of his current "Idol" contract, hinted in the spring that he might leave the show at the end of his deal. But early in the summer, he entered negotiations with Fox for a new two-year pact.

"We've heard from Fox, who has asked us for approval for Simon Cowell to appear for three more years on 'Idol,' " Sillerman said. "They, in their negotiations with Cowell, have asked us to pre-approve him not only for 'American Idol' '09, which has begun taping, but they have also asked us for approval for '10 and '11, indicating to us that they're finishing their negotiation with Cowell. We did grant approval for that quite obviously."

Sillerman didn't mention any financials of Cowell's deal with Fox, but the uber-judge reportedly is poised to earn $45 million under the new pact, up from $36 million a year under his current contract.

Fox declined comment Monday.

On the call, Sillerman also shed light on the mechanics of hiring "Idol" judges, with 19 and co-producer FremantleMedia proposing their choices to Fox, which signs off.

It's Fox who pays the judges' salaries, Sillerman noted.

The network's recent negotiations with "Idol" judge Paula Abdul, Cowell's favorite sparring partner on the panel, had a dramatic resolution when Abdul walked away over a salary dispute. She reportedly was seeking more than $10 million a year and was offered about half that.

Fox, meanwhile, picked up the option on freshman judge Kara DioGuardi. Randy Jackson is under contract through this coming season, and "Idol" host Ryan Seacrest recently signed a three-year, $45 million deal with 19, which covers other services beyond "Idol."

Celebrities including Victoria Beckham and Katy Perry have been tapped as guest judges for the "Idol" auditions, with Fox brass indicating that they are planning to find a permanent replacement for Abdul.

Also on Monday, 19 announced that it has acquired a 51% stake in leading U.K. modeling agency Storm Model Management, whose roster of clients includes Kate Moss, Emma Watson Jourdan Dunn, Lily Cole, Cindy Crawford, Eva Herzigova and France's First Lady Carla Bruni.

hollywoodreporter.com

Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2009, 05:39:12 AM »

September 9, 2009, 8:34 pm
Ellen DeGeneres to Become Fourth ‘American Idol’ Judge
By Brian Stelter

Ellen DeGeneres will join Simon Cowell, Randy Jackson and Kara DioGuardi as the fourth judge on “American Idol” next winter, Fox announced on Wednesday evening.

The announcement comes after Paula Abdul said last month that she would leave the program ahead of its ninth season, which is scheduled to start in January 2010.

Ms. DeGeneres, the popular daytime talk show host, will join the famous judges’ panel after the auditions, which are currently taking place in cities around the country.

“I’m thrilled to be the new judge on American Idol,” Ms. DeGeneres said in a statement. “I’ve watched since the beginning, and I’ve always been a huge fan. So getting this job is a dream come true, and think of all the money I’ll save from not having to text in my vote.”

Update: 10:01 p.m.: The Associated Press reports:

DeGeneres told her talk show audience in an episode scheduled to air Thursday that she would not abandon her Emmy-winning chatfest, but would have “a day job and a night job.”

“The times we’re living in,” she quipped, “we’re all doing that.”

“Hopefully, I’m the people’s point of view because I’m just like you,” DeGeneres said on her show. “I sit at home and I watch it, and I don’t have that technical … I’m not looking at it in a critical way from the producer’s mind. I’m looking at it as a person who is going to buy the music and is going to relate to that person.”

nytimes mediadecoder blog

Moonshot
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Yes. I AM a sexy beast.

« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2009, 05:44:55 AM »

Ellen DeGeneres takes Paula Abdul's 'American Idol' seat
She signs a five-year deal to be a judge.
By Joe Flint, Denise Martin and Maria Elena Fernandez
September 10, 2009

The fourth seat has been filled.

A little more than a month after Paula Abdul tendered her high-profile Twitter resignation as a judge on "American Idol," Fox announced Wednesday that she was being replaced by one of the show's biggest fans, comedian and talk-show host Ellen DeGeneres.

The network's five-year deal with DeGeneres puts to rest a major challenge facing Fox as the aging singing competition enters its ninth season in January: filling the shoes of the judge considered by many to be the heart of the show.

DeGeneres, who has hosted the Oscars and the Emmys and was recently a guest judge on Fox's "So You Think You Can Dance," broke the news to her audience during a taping of "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" on Wednesday.

"I don't know how it happened myself, but I have not missed one episode of that show," DeGeneres said in the episode of the talk show that airs today. "I love everything about it and I love music, as you know. Hopefully I'm the people's point of view because I'm just like you. I sit at home and I watch it and I don't have that technical . . . I'm not looking at it in a critical way from the producer's mind. I'm looking at it as a person who is going to buy the music and is going to relate to that person."

The move to sign DeGeneres came after a series of guest judges filled in for Abdul during the "Idol" audition rounds, including Spice Girl Victoria Beckham, singers Mary J. Blige, Katy Perry and Avril Lavigne, and actors Neil Patrick Harris and Kristin Chenoweth.

DeGeneres will join Simon Cowell, Randy Jackson and Kara DioGuardi on the panel when the show returns to the air in January. It hasn't been decided whether DeGeneres will join the other judges for pretaped semifinal rounds in November.

The mating dance between Fox and DeGeneres began in earnest after she was a guest judge on "So You Think You Can Dance" in July. Although Abdul had not resigned at that point, DeGeneres' appearance stuck with Fox executives, who were well aware that Abdul was not a lock to return.

DeGeneres has long ties with Fox and landed one of her big breaks on the network 20 years ago in the short-lived comedy, "Open House."

Talks heated up late last week among Fox and DeGeneres and Warner Bros., which needed to give its blessing since it has an exclusive TV contract with DeGeneres.

Leading negotiations for DeGeneres were ICM agent Eddy Yablans and manager Caryn Weingarten, who found a receptive audience at Fox, where Tony Vinciquerra, chief executive of the Fox Network Group, gave the green light to new entertainment chairman Peter Rice to get a deal done.

Rice, working closely with reality programming chief Mike Darnell and business affairs head Ira Kurgan, quickly put together a multiyear contract that would bring stability to TV's No. 1 show, both in front of and behind the camera.

Though Warner Bros., which produces and distributes DeGeneres' talk show, did not stand in the way, the studio did extend its own deal with her for three more years -- until 2014 -- before agreeing to let her take on "American Idol."

"I'm going to have a day job and a night job," DeGeneres said during her show. "The times we're living in . . . we're all doing that. This is so exciting for me. We've been dealing with this for the last couple of weeks and I've been dying to tell everyone. It's just been so hard to keep it a secret and we just finally got the OK and I'm so excited."

Signing DeGeneres will likely make it easier for Fox to make a deal with Cowell, whose contract expires next May.

Though rumors have persisted that Abdul and Fox might come to terms in time for her to be back by "Idol's" January return, her manager, David Sonenberg, told The Times) last month that chances of such a scenario playing out were slim. Abdul has since made deals to host the "VH1 Divas" ceremony. Her guest spot on the Lifetime comedy "Drop Dead Diva" has turned into a recurring role. She also told "Access Hollywood" that she is working on a deal to develop and star in her own Las Vegas revue.

After failing to clinch a more lucrative deal with “Idol,”)%2C Abdul tweeted her resignation Aug. 4. "With sadness in my heart, I've decided not to return," she wrote. "I'll miss nurturing all the new talent."

During the Television Critics Press Assn. tour last month, Fox executives said they were set on maintaining the four-judge arrangement even with Abdul's departure. "I think that the four judges were getting in a rhythm last year, and we will probably have four judges back," Rice said.

"We have from now until January to introduce a different energy into the panel. . . . There is going to be a search, and we have to cast that in a way that is fun and energizing and creates some real chemistry between the people on the panel."

During an interview with Cowell on her talk show before the "Idol" season ended, DeGeneres told Cowell she wasn't thrilled about the addition of a fourth judge: "I think everybody liked it the way it was with you and Randy and Paula. And all of a sudden there's a fourth judge. It gives you less time to talk. It kind of splits it up."

Looks like someone has changed her mind.

latimes.com

joe.flint@latimes.com

denise.martin@latimes.com

maria.elena.fernandez@latimes.com

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx