gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:51:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 157
Total: 157

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Poll
Question: And your favourite AI winner is....
Kelly Clarkson - 29 (64.4%)
Ruben Studdard - 1 (2.2%)
Fantasia - 1 (2.2%)
Carrie Underwood - 14 (31.1%)
Total Voters: 31

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: American Idol the Show - Media & Discussion  (Read 31838 times)
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« on: May 27, 2005, 11:23:33 PM »

Is American Idol Rigged? You Betcha!
by James Shepherd (2005/05/27)

Is the American Idol final outcome of the competition rigged? I believe it is, based upon a compilation of circumstantial evidence that is available for most people to check out themselves. If American Idol is not rigged, then we have a very strange series of coincidences. Let us look at the evidence.

The American Idol Contestant Compilation CDs

The American Idol Contestant Compilation CD (CCCD) for American Idol 1 was the only one produced and distributed after the competition ended. All the results were known, and this CD starts with a couple of cuts by Kelly Clarkson, and then followed by Justin Guarini, and Nikki, etc., until we come to the last individual competitor song on the CD by Jim Verraros who was the first one eliminated. The songs are ordered based upon the order of elimination. The significance of this one particular CCCD is the time frame it takes to produce and distribute a CD of this type - from master tape to being in the stores, approximately one month. Kelly Clarkson was announced as the winner of AI1 on September 4, 2002, and this CCCD was officially released on October 1, 2002.

However, the CCCD for AI2 was released long before the competition ended. It was released on April 29, 2003, which would have made the mastering of the CD around the beginning of April and probably just after the disqualification of Corey Clark (eliminated Apr. 1st) and that was why his cut does appear on the CD - it was just too late to take it off. Ruben Studdard was declared the winner of AI2 on May 21, 2003. But Ruben's cut is the first one on the CD, and yet this CD was "put to bed" more than 6 weeks before the finale. I guess this must have been some sort of coincidence, or perhaps just some good-guessing by someone, eh? And Clay Aiken, who came in second in the AI2 competition holds the second place for album cuts too - just more good guessing?

When we come to AI3, guess what, we have almost exactly the same scenario. Fantasia was declared the winner on May 26, 2004, and yet her cut on the AI3 CCCD is the first one also. Yet, the master tape for the CD was probably finalized at the beginning of April too since the album was released on April 27, 2004. More good guessing as to whom the winner was going to be?

Now coming to AI4, guess what the situation is. Yup, the winner's song, Carrie Underwood's, is the first one on the CD, and yet this album was probably put to bed in mid-April of 2005, since its release date was May 17th. In fact, the content of this CD was finalized probably before Constantine was eliminated (he was in the top 6), but we do have the final three on this CD in the order in which they came in the "competition": Carrie is first, Bo is second, and Vonzell is third - the exact ranking of these three in the competition. This is some incredible guessing by someone attached to the American Idol team. Could it be the AI producers?

In essence, for the last three American Idol "competitions," the first cut on the contestant compilation CD has been winner's. Yes, these albums were made long before the top 2 competitions were played out. If this happened just once - good guess. If it happened twice - oh, really good guessing. If it happened three times in a row, which it did - we move into the realm of good old fashion divine prophecy, or, more realistically - just good old fashion rigging.

I'm not a mathematician, but I would imagine that the probability of something like this happening three times in a row randomly is astronomical, even if we are talking about there being only two or three contestants from the start that had the potential of going all the way. It would seem to me that someone absolutely determined who was going to be the winning contestant weeks in advance for three years in a row. I wonder how that happened?

But there is more than just the above strange "coincidences."

The Independent Article That Never Was

Last weekend, Idol discussion boards on the Internet were buzzing with activity over an article published by the Online Edition of The Independent, a British newspaper owned by the same conglomerate that owns FOX TV. Jason Nisse wrote an article listing those British business people who have been named among the 25 Stars of Europe. Simon Fuller, the founder of 19E was among those named and this is what was written about Mr. Fuller: "... and Simon Fuller, the pop impresario whose American Idol TV competition was won this year by Carrie Underwood." (screen capture)

Since this article was dated May 22nd, three days before the alleged determination of the American Idol winner, this article contained a very strange turn of the phrase.

Read the rest at BEAVERS ON IDOL
clay_fan_20
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 12:10:54 AM »

thanks Pamela, that second article really cheered me up a lot!!
mainer
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 07:20:47 AM »

Thanks Pamela -- this article actually has some hard data on CD manufacture that supports what so many of us speculate.

I was convinced that the judges knew, the night of the finale, that the winner would be Carrie -- Simon telling Bo what a pleasure it had been to work with him (consloation kiss-off), but not saying the same thing to Carrie;  Simon telling Carrie that her thirds performance might make her the winner, when the performance he was talking about was not that good at all;  Randy saying, on Wednesday, that "let's get it real" Carrie had been the best in the finals, when-- if she may have better in the season overall (a matter of opinion, I preferred Bo) -- she was off-pitch throughout on Tuesday, not her best, and was decidedlly bested by Bo on the song they both sang, "Inside your heaven."  All of the tricks used during Idol 2 to maneuver a Ruben win have been, I'm sure, well documented on this site.

I think the Idol brass are trying to avoid a scandal, or need for an FCC investigation,  by claiming that it is not a contest -- that the judges (Paula/Corey and influence) do not decide the results; that American decides.  Meanwhile Corey Clark is explaining to people how it is a television show, and the producers are trying to make good television and engage the audience, and that it is not a contest at all.  Certainly, most of us wouldn't waste time voting for several hours (which audience participation ups AI's value to Fox, not to mention money made on text messaging -- and aren't the Idol brass the owners of the "independent company" that tallies the phone results, or invested in it?) if we knew our votes didn't count.  The Idol brass have no right to squander our time in this way.  Many of us wouldn't bother to watch, if our votes didn't count -- but  on the other hand, if you can vote as often as you wish, votes don't really count anyway....

I think there may be fraud in recruiting talent, if they are promising certain perks to a winner "to be chosen by America", when the winner is chosen -- not by American -- but by two or three Brits.  At the same time, the show is such a wonderful opportunity for talented people, who might never get national or worldwide attention, that I'm sure contestants are grateful to place anywhere in the final twelve, especailly grateful for second place, grateful for any help they can get..

"The truth will set you free..."
houstonclayfan
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 07:59:19 AM »

I believe that the producers may be the ones that pick the winners in the end, but I don't believe that our votes are not considered at all.  The producers are going to pick a contestant that has a lot of fans, and therefore, would sell a lot of CDs. Voting tells them which contestants we are more likely to support. When the results are close, the producers may choose the one that they want, regardless of votes. In two of the seasons ( 1 and 3), the winner was obvious all along and there wasn't a true competion in the end. Evidence of this fact is in the CD sales of Justin and Diana. Maybe they did choose Ruben and Carrie over Clay and Bo, but Clay and Bo will be just fine. American Idol entertains many viewers. We get a say in the contestants that we like best. Performers that would never be discovered on their own are given an opportunity of a lifetime. I don't see a problem.
wvclayfan
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

Always and forever

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2005, 08:48:29 AM »

Quote from: houstonclayfan
In two of the seasons ( 1 and 3), the winner was obvious all along and there wasn't a true competion in the end. Evidence of this fact is in the CD sales of Justin and Diana. Maybe they did choose Ruben and Carrie over Clay and Bo, but Clay and Bo will be just fine.

Clapping Yes!

Colleen, I completely agree. We, as viewers and voters, may not get the final say in who is chosen as the American Idol, but we certainly have a voice. After all, this is reality television. We all know that "reality" is distorted to make "good" television. IMO, Idol should be regarded solely as entertainment.

~ Lindsay ~

"I will now rise from the ashes. Don't call me pretentious. I'm sitting here making my own rules."
LuvMyClay
Enthusiastic

He Makes My Day

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2005, 08:49:44 AM »

Interesting!!!!
mainer
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2005, 06:42:30 PM »

right on -- Houston Clayfan -- that says it all.
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2005, 09:39:12 PM »

According to this article at MSNBC, the FCC will not investigate Idol because it considers it to be a reality show rather than a legitimate contest.

A source familiar with FCC policy told The Scoop that the agency will likely ignore the flap, explaining that the group is prone to “consider American Idol to be entertainment, like World Wide Wrestling, rather than a actual competition” such as a legitimate game show.

MSNBC
lorraine
Enthusiastic

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 10:26:21 AM »

VERY INTERESTING.  I NEVER PUT 100% INTO THE LAST TWO AMERICAN IDOLS.  I DID THAT TWO YEARS AGO AND WILL NEVER DO IT AGAIN.  I WATCH IT FOR THE FUN OF IT NOW.
patti
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 02:06:14 PM »

Just my 2 cents- I'm sure that statistics were kept along the way- Carrie was never in the bottom -  I do think that viewer votes elect the American Idol-   so having said all of that -  analysis of voting trends could tell the producers who would likely be the new American Idol.
Franny
Claylicious

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2005, 03:36:33 PM »

Quote from: Pamela
According to this article at MSNBC, the FCC will not investigate Idol because it considers it to be a reality show rather than a legitimate contest.

A source familiar with FCC policy told The Scoop that the agency will likely ignore the flap, explaining that the group is prone to “consider American Idol to be entertainment, like World Wide Wrestling, rather than a actual competition” such as a legitimate game show.

MSNBC

On the other hand, we, on the other side of the spectrum, who do try to take our idol selection seriously may find it hard to be convinced that our voting isn't therefore instrumental to the idol selection. But, having been a Bo fan more than a Carrie fan, I'm just happy that he made it to the #2 spot, a pretty lofty spot to be. And like Clay, he will receive his share of the pie.

"The Keeper of Clay's Magic"
Just a little of "Clay to start my day" brings the sunshine, even along with the rain... It makes all the difference in the world.
I call it Clay's magic.

Prayers for JJ
claynadian
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2005, 05:47:35 PM »

Well I honestly don't think it matters anymore. If they are good then they will sell cd's. the compition is just there for amusement and giddy preteens.
Franny
Claylicious

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2005, 05:00:02 AM »

In relation to this thread, this was posted today by clayMan-iac-Moderator of Aiken News Network for June 9.

Quote:
The Rigging of American Idol: More Evidence
by James Shepherd (2005/06/08)

This is a follow up to my previous article Is American Idol Rigged? You Betcha! There were some interesting responses and rebuttals with which I wish to address, and there were also some nasty nit-picking responses that are not worthy of addressing since these folk didn't even read the article, with some even proclaiming that they had not. I also have some additional evidence that I wanted to include, albeit circumstantial, as my deep-throat has not shown up yet... although it is possible he has come and gone.(snip)

Thanks Deanna

Credible Impossibilities and Incredible Probabilities

The facts are, for last three years in a row, the future title holder of American Idol has had their song on the contestant collection first; and yet, this primary placement of the winner's song was determined at least six weeks prior the final voting for the Top 2. This was the point that all the nasty nit-pickers missed.

According to the law of probability, the chances of something like this happening are quite slim, if truly the playing field was completely even for the six remaining competitors (1 chance in 216 to be exact). Of course we all know that there is no even playing field. However, no one six weeks in advance really knows for certain how the contestants are going to perform in the future, nor can anyone be certain as to how the American public is going to vote. For sure, the AI producers know how the voting patterns have been up to the mid-way point in each competition, but does this give them an absolute assurance as to how the competition is going to turn out at the end?

On American Idol 2, Ruben Studdard who did become the winner, stood on the chopping block for elimination with Trenyce. He was in the bottom two and allegedly had only the fourth highest vote. Clay Aiken, Kimberley Locke and Josh Gracin received more votes than did Ruben. Do you remember that close one? How can it be said then that voting patterns early on can give anyone an absolute determination who the winner is going to be?

Do you remember American Idol 3? Fantasia, who did eventually win the competition, was in the bottom three when there were seven contestants left. So both Ruben and Fantasia were on the chopping blocks approximately mid-way in their competitions. Somehow I doubt very much that using the voting patterns during the competition are a good gauge in determining who the winner is going be six weeks down the road.  

Thanks Deanna

Just a little of "Clay to start my day" brings the sunshine, even along with the rain... It makes all the difference in the world.
I call it Clay's magic.

Prayers for JJ
Franny
Claylicious

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2005, 05:28:08 AM »

Oops

The Thanks Deanna  in the middle of the article was meant for after the article, not inside.  What a goofus. :hair

I call it Clay's magic.

Prayers for JJ
clayMaine-iac
Administrator
Enthusiastic

Clay's Maine Squeeze

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2005, 03:21:22 AM »

HER BIG 'BREAKAWAY': A 15th week on top of Billboard's Adult Contemporary chart for "Breakaway" (Walt Disney/Hollywood) pushes Kelly Clarkson into third place among all solo female artists with the longest runs in pole position. Celine Dion leads the list with 21 weeks for "A New Day Has Come" and 19 weeks for "Because You Loved Me." Faith Hill is in second place with a 17-week reign for "Breathe."

"Breakaway," which is the title track of Clarkson's sophomore RCA album and appears on the soundtrack to "The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement," isn't the biggest AC hit from a Walt Disney film yet, but it is in second place. Phil Collins" song from the "Tarzan" soundtrack, "You'll Be in My Heart," was No. 1 for 19 weeks in 1999.

"Breakaway" is the only song to advance to No. 1 on the AC chart in 2005. "Believe" by Josh Groban and Heaven" by Los Lobos both spent time at the top, but both had originally claimed the lead position in 2004.

HER 'DAY' HAS COME: Fourth season "American Idol" winner Carrie Underwood's chart success continues to spread as she debuts on another Billboard chart. Her rendition of Martina McBride's "Independence Day" (Arista) enters the Pop 100 at No. 84. Just below her, at No. 87, "Idol" runner-up Bo Bice debuts with his cover of Gavin DeGraw's "I Don't Want to Be" (RCA).

THE BICE IS RIGHT

Hi Fred,

I was a big Bo Bice fan during "American Idol" and would like to "register my vote" by downloading his single when it becomes available. How does Billboard go about creating the digital download chart? Are there specific services monitored?

Also, I understand his version of "Vehicle" will be the B-side of the single. How high would this version need to chart in order to surpass the original?

Thanks,

Jeff Thomas
Washington, D.C.

Dear Jeff,

Sales of paid digital downloads from all major sites are counted. It will be interesting to see how Bo's single of "Inside Your Heaven" charts, compared to the version recorded by Carrie Underwood. We could have a situation where the same song is No. 1 and No. 2 on the Hot 100.

The original version of "Vehicle" by Ides of March peaked at No. 2 in 1970. Of the group's five chart entries on the Hot 100, "Vehicle" was the only title to reach the top 40 portion of the chart.

BILLBOARD

Clay "is" the "News"
When Words Fail--Let Music Speak
Franny
Claylicious

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2005, 03:58:45 AM »

Congrats to Kelly. Celine Dion and Faith Hill, wow, she's in good company.

Thanks Deanna for the update on the idols. Carrie & Bo, #1, #2? Good for them.  

I call it Clay's magic.

Prayers for JJ
HavinaClayAffair
Enthusiastic

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2005, 07:32:16 AM »

I really enjoy Kellys new CD but MY GOODNESS do the radio stations around here play the grooves off her music!!

Moment Like This...Miss Independent, Breakaway, Since U Been Gone and now Behind These Hazel Eyes are played EVERY DARN HOUR in rotation on the station we listen to at work!! It really is amazing for her but I still think it is overkill. Enough is enough. I am NOT trying to take anything away from Kelly..I still hum, sing and toe tap everytime I hear one of her songs...as repetitive as they are...

EVERYTIME we hear her songs at work now...we all look at each other and say.."It's the Kelly Clark Radio Station at it again!!" We think she is part owner of the station.....

Good for her but as I said...WOW!! Doesn't anybody else have music that could be played??

Maybe someday we can gloat like Kelly's fans are getting to now when Clay releases his next new CD....one can dream, can't we??

Lora
Her
Enthusiastic

CLAY'S #1 FRECKLE LOVER

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2005, 06:43:14 AM »

Maybe someday we can gloat like Kelly's fans are getting to now when Clay releases his next new CD....one can dream, can't we??
Ditto...

Official Charter Member of the OCD

He is the beloved singing teddy bear placed near a young girl's flouncy canopied bed.

Franny
Claylicious

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2005, 05:40:51 PM »

I'm sorry if my post came across as gloating. I never considered myself a Kelly fan, more of a fan of American Idol and I was happy for her that she's come this far. Sorry... And I know that Clay's time will come too, and guys believe it or not, I'll be as proud as anyone....

I call it Clay's magic.

Prayers for JJ
wvclayfan
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

Always and forever

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2005, 09:39:00 AM »

I didn't see this posted anywhere, but my apologies if it has been.

Fox is jumping on the bandwagon with other celebrity reality shows like Hit Me Baby One More Time and Dancing With the Stars. From Yahoo! News ...

"Idol" Gets Starstruck
Thursday June 23 3:56 PM ET

By Sarah Hall

Fox is rolling out the red carpet for an all-star spinoff of its top-rated reality show.

Instead of watching gifted nobodies battle for fame and glory on American Idol, fans of the talent search may soon be able to watch their favorite stars duke it out on the newly minted Celebrity Idol.

Producers FremantleMedia and 19 Entertainment have given the thumbs-up to the project, which would be produced by the Idol team made up of Simon Fuller, Nigel Lythgoe, Cecile Frot-Coutaz and Ken Warwick.

ADVERTISEMENT
Ten famous folk would make up the cast, pitting their vocal stylings against one another for a $1 million prize, which would go to the winner's charity of choice. As the series would be dealing with fragile celebrity egos, as opposed to the egos of the Average Joe or Jane, there would be no embarrassing auditions to determine who made the cut.

The show would reportedly be broadcast as a 10-episode miniseries of sorts over a two to three week period. Viewers would still vote by phone to determine which contestant would be eliminated and the results would be revealed on the next performance show.

Producers are working on attaching Idol judges Si

mon Cowell, Paula Abdul and Randy Jackson, as well as host Ryan Seacrest, to the project.

Fox exec Mike Darnell told Daily Variety that the plan was "to go for the biggest talent possible," in terms of the celebrities who would make up the cast.

"We're looking for people who can sing but aren't known for singing," Darnell said.

Celebrity editions of reality shows have, in the past, found themselves reaching when it came to their "stars." (See: I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here.)

However, ABC's Dancing with the Stars, featuring such "celebs" as former Bachelorette Trista and heavyweight Evander Holyfield cutting a rug with (gasp!) ordinary dance instructors, has proved to be a huge hit for the network, proving that A-list talent isn't necessary to win ratings wars.

Fox isn't the only network to come up with the bright idea of showcasing the musical chops of celebrities not known for their singing skills.

Earlier this week, NBC announced its latest reality series, I'm a Celebrity But I Want To Be a Pop Star. The show will feature celebs from the worlds of film, television and sports doing their best imitations of rock stars for an audience who will determine their fates.

"Everyone secretly wants to get on stage and become a pop star--and celebrities are no different," NBC exec Craig Plestis said in a statement. "This new series will allow viewers to see who's really entitled to live out that dream."

Apparently, celebrities looking to expose their inner rock god will have plenty of options.

There's also a new Idol option for wannabes looking to show off their voices...but not on television.

FremantleMedia has given the go-ahead to a new Web-based service called American Idol Underground, which will give participants the chance to upload their vocals onto the Internet for a fee, where they'll be judged by listeners. The best tunes will go on to be judged by celebrity experts who will determine the winners.

Prizes won't be on the scale of the million-dollar recording contract earned by Idol winners, but participants can expect rewards such as added exposure for their music.

In other Idol news, Fox reportedly continues to investigate the claims of former contestant Corey Clark, who claimed to have had an affair with Abdul while competing on the show.

Though Clark had previously said he had no interest in assisting Fox in the network's probe, he recently began singing a different tune.

"It is painfully clear that unless my fellow AI season two contestants and I are directly involved with Fox executives during the investigation, we will never know if an investigation ever really took place," Clark said in a statement earlier this month. "With that said, I will not only fully comply with a Fox investigation of American Idol, but I will refrain from discussing my information concerning the questionable conduct with anyone except the officials handling the questioning once the investigation begins.

"I realize now that without my direct participation in a Fox probe, we will never find out what the fans, the sponsors, and the network deserve...the truth."

Meanwhile, a group of less irate ex-Idols are currently preparing for the Pop Tarts Present American Idols Live! tour, featuring the 10 finalists from season four, which kicks off July 12 in Sunrise, Florida, and will travel to 41 cities in all.

Newly crowned Idol Carrie Underwood has already met with success with 129,610 copies of her debut single, "Inside Your Heaven/Independence Day," sold, putting the Oklahoma native at the top of the charts.

Auditions for the fifth season of American Idol are taking place this summer in Austin, Memphis, Chicago, Atlanta, Denver and Boston.

~ Lindsay ~

"I will now rise from the ashes. Don't call me pretentious. I'm sitting here making my own rules."
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx