gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:12:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 340
Total: 340

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Keeping Up With Vonzell  (Read 3402 times)
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« on: May 08, 2005, 09:20:39 AM »

Here's a link to a message board for Vonzell Fans:

Vonzell

AI Forum Moderator
Yup, I think about Clay probably about as often as men think about sex.
"Half my butt is mac & cheese and the other half is Krispy Kreme..." Clay Aiken
Carpe Clayum-Seize the Clay
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 10:41:41 PM »

Local cancer patient sees 'Baby V' live

By CHARLES RUNNELLS
CRUNNELLS@NEWS-PRESS.COM
Published by news-press.com on April 20, 2005

"Baby V" belted out "I'm Every Woman," and Madison Merrifield was there for every brassy note and sassy wink.

The Fox TV cameras caught the Estero girl cheering and grinning and waving a "Vonzell" poster during Tuesday's "American Idol" performance by Vonzell Solomon. Madison's hair was crew-cut short, just now growing back after months of chemotherapy and radiation.

"The show was really awesome," said an energized Madison, 11, after the live broadcast. "It was even better than watching it on TV!"

Madison — the daughter of Estero Fire Chief Dennis Merrifield — is a huge fan of Solomon, who sang her way into the top seven "Idol" finalists last week. And she's dreamed of meeting the 21-year-old Fort Myers letter carrier.

That's where Leapin' Lizard Bar & Grille came in. The Cape Coral restaurant raised more than $32,000 for the young cancer victim at a fund-raiser last week, and the money paid for her family's four-day trip, plus future medical expenses and whatever else she needs.

Madison, Solomon and her family were on their way to dinner Tuesday night after the show, and Madison said she was thrilled to finally meet her hometown hero.

"She's just fabulous," Madison said, putting on a faux Hollywood accent and giggling. "She's really funny. And she's definitely bubbly and full of energy."

Solomon couldn't talk to The News-Press on Tuesday. It's against "American Idol" policy to talk to the media, she said through Madison.

Solomon and Madison have become friends in the past two weeks, and they chat often on the phone.

"I'm so happy to meet her," Madison said. "I feel good right now.

"I feel really, really good."

The family also will see tonight's show, where Baby V finds out whether she made it to the top six "Idol" contestants.

Madison was first diagnosed with Ewing's sarcoma cancer in July 2002. Since then, it's spread from her jaw to her lungs.

Doctors say Madison has just four months to live, but her family remains optimistic. They are trying everything from herbal supplements to prayer.

This week will definitely be something to remember, Madison said. She also met the show's three judges and got their autographs. And the Merrifield family even traveled to and from the studio in a limousine.

"People started waving at us," Madison said. "They thought we were someone famous."

The Merrifield family has taken in the sights while they are in Los Angeles. But make no mistake — their visit is all about Baby V.

"We're very proud of her," Dennis Merrifield said. "She keeps getting better and better every week."

NEWS PRESS FL

VONZELL AND MADISON
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 10:44:48 PM »

USPS ISSUES ADDRESS FOR VONZELL
"Vonzell has been living the dream of her life for the last several months," her mother Alice said, "and we are so appreciative of the kind words of support extended from her Postal family. I know Vonzell will retain these cards and letters as treasured keepsakes for the rest of her life."

Fans wishing to send congratulations and words of encouragement should mail to:

VONZELL SOLOMON

C/O POSTMASTER

P.O. BOX V

BEVERLY HILLS, CA 90210-9998

CELEBRITY SPIDER
Franny
Claylicious

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 04:09:41 AM »

Vonzell has such a glow surrounding her and that is what it takes to make your dreams become a reality.
I loved both the articles, Pamela. After reading them, it's obvious that her hometown is so proud of her and this is reciprocated back to them by their Baby V.

"The Keeper of Clay's Magic"
Just a little of "Clay to start my day" brings the sunshine, even along with the rain... It makes all the difference in the world.
I call it Clay's magic.

Prayers for JJ
stellium
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 06:39:40 AM »

The News-Press - Fort Myers,FL,USA

Solomon breaks down in tears after performance

By MARK KRZOS,MKRZOS@NEWS-PRESS.COM
Published by news-press.com on May 11, 2005

Vonzell Solomon, the Fort Myers singer and one of four contestants left on Fox's "American Idol," broke down in tears shortly after Tuesday night's performance on the hit show.

As judges were weighing in, judge Paula Abdul asked if she had a rough day. It seemed to cause a breakdown.

Immediately after Solomon left the stage, her brother, Kendall Solomon, spoke from home. "I think she's homesick. She's just riled up."

Solomon sang Trisha Yearwood's "How Do I Live," a song that features the chorus, "How do I live without you?"

Later in the competition, Solomon sang "Don't Leave Me This Way," by Thelma Houston.

As Solomon introduced her second song, she thanked her parents for all their love and support, adding that they worked two and three jobs to help support her family and her burgeoning music career.

Solomon's music teacher, Bernadette Billups, was at first concerned and had no idea what caused the tears. But later, after the second song, Billups seemed to put two and two together and said, "You're seeing another side of her, and I think those two songs showed you just how much she loves her family."

Solomon's songs were again part of a two-pronged theme night, country and the sound of Philly. Both showed off her vocal range.

The second song, "Don't Leave Me This Way," was her fiercest and most searing yet. The judges all praised her version of the song.

"You raised the roof," said Judge Randy Jackson. "The one thing America knows is that you can definitely sing."

Abdul also heaped praised on her, saying, "You achieved your personal best."

Judge Simon Cowell called it "a manic performance" but added that it was a lot better than her first song of the night. Jackson called that performance "a little rough" but also said, "She always picks the most difficult song to sing."
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2005, 11:17:10 PM »

Going Postal with 'Idol' Vonzell
(Friday, May 20 01:44 PM)
By Daniel Fienberg

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) Because FOX's "American Idol" is a singing-based talent show, Vonzell Solomon was sent packing on Wednesday (May 18), just one week from a chance at the crown. If, however, the "Idol" title had been based on sheer likeability, Solomon would have been nearly impossible to beat.

The 21-year-old Florida resident with the infectious smile and upbeat spirit may be a nationally recognized star after her "Idol" experience, but it's clear that she still thinks of herself as the young woman who was working for the United States Postal Service just six months ago.

"It's been an awesome journey," Solomon tells reporters. "I still feel like I'm dreaming, like I'm going to wake up and I have to go deliver someone's mail."

When she went on her "Idol"-sponsored visit home, Solomon arrived at her former office in a limo, so she has a pretty good idea that distributing letters to the masses is a thing of the past for her. Now, when Solomon goes out in the street, everybody knows her name, or at least they know one of her myriad nicknames. Over the course of the season, Solomon was called "Baby V," "Vonzie" and "The Vonz," all abbreviations she'd already become accustomed to.

"All my life my name has been difficult for people to pronounce, so I've always had a whole bunch of names," she laughs. "I'm used to it and I just embrace it now. They've been around. Ryan Seacrest found them and started to use them. He found them on his own, no one told him so."

Solomon is proud that with her R&B stylings, she was able to make it to the Top Three against rocker Bo Bice and country chanteuse Carrie Underwood. She describes her rendition of "I Have Nothing" as a personal favorite ("If I could, I would sing that song every week," she claims) and admits that her worst performance was "Anyone Who Had a Heart."

"I think it's wonderful that we had so many types of music in the competition, because it just makes more viewers want to watch and it just made for a better show," Solomon says. "It made the competition more real, because in a real music setting, it's all different types of music competing to be on top of the charts."

Naturally, Solomon won't make a prediction on whether Bo or Carrie will capture the "Idol" title next week.

"They are both great people and great singers," she gushes. "They both have big hearts. They're both caring. They just hold so many qualities and I feel so blessed to be on the same show with those guys, because I could lean on them when I wasn't having a good day."

ZAP2IT
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 11:03:25 PM »

Vonzell is going to appear on Regis & Kelly today, Thursday June 9.

Check her out!

Also, here is a link to the download of BEST OF MY LOVE (right click to save) - enjoy!
stellium
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2005, 03:08:44 PM »

Wow,  Vonzell looked like a star in her black sparkly dress,  didn't she?   She has a confident,  star quality about her all the time,  always looks the part,  and her smile melts everybody.    She stood at the piano in a bright room,  not the darker little stage they sometimes put people on by themselves.   Kelly loves her and said on the show that when she got voted off,  she cursed at the TV and threw something across the room.  

Vonzell said she doesn't have a record contract yet.   She is looking forward to the crowds on the summer tour beginning the second week in July.
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2005, 08:45:14 PM »

Thanks stellium.  Here's another recap of Vonzell's appearance on R&K, by GraceDimitriFan at the CH:

Vonzell just sang "I Have Nothing" on Regis & Kelly. Unfortunately, a karaoke song if there ever was one, and one that doesn't allow her to establish a connection with the audience. But she did a good job.

They had a nice interview with her, much longer than I expected. Yay! Vonzell was wearing a black dress with rhinestones. She said that she doesn't have a record deal yet, that's something she's working on. I think she was a little nervous, because she said she worked for the American Idol Postal Service. (Awww.)

Vonzell said that she had tried out for American Idol in 2002 but hadn't gotten past the 1st round. She also tried out for Sean "P. Diddy" Combs Making the Band show but didn't make that either. (P. Diddy was the previous guest on R&K.) She took the last few years to get better and more prepared for what she ended encountering on the American Idol show.

They talked about her dad and his bright-colored suits. The hosts said that he was a minor celebrity now. Vonzell smiled and said yes, he's signing autographs now. She said that American Idol would ask him what color suit he was planning to wear each night so they could have the best lighting for it. She told Regis & Kelly that he wasn't there with her because they had gone on vacation and he was with her family. Regis came out in a slightly flashier suit (perhaps the one P. Diddy gave him?) and asked Vonzell how he looked. Vonzell approved but said that her Dad would tell him he needs a hat with the suit.

It wasn't an in-depth interview, but it showed off Vonzell's lovely personality so hopefully people who hadn't seen AI will want to know more about her.
ANGELA
Enthusiastic

A FAN FROM MASSACHUSETTS SUPPORTING CLAY 110%

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 02:01:01 AM »

I TAPED IT & AS OF YET HAVE NOT SEEN IT.
I LOVED VONZELL & WAS ROOTING FOR HER.

TO ME SHE IMPROVED THE MOST OUT OF ALL THE CONTESTANTS.

LOOKING FORWARD TO SITTING DOWN & WATCHING THE TAPE.

THANKS FOR THE INFO.

ANGELA

"BE HAPPY,TRY YOUR BEST & LET GOD TAKE CARE OF THE REST"
"LIZ, JULIE, JJ & CAROL OUR 4 SHINING ANGELS" "SUPPORTING CLAY 110% SINCE DAY ONE"    "
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 08:41:24 AM »

Here's Vonzell's official site which features music, pictures and more :

Official Baby V

The best kind of friend is the one you could sit on a porch with, never saying a word, and walk away feeling like that was the best conversation you've had.
Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx