gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:28:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 171
Total: 171

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 85 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Soap Box II - Get Your Rant On!  (Read 224805 times)
claydevotee
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2005, 07:02:05 AM »

And trust me, I will most definitely tell you if you ever need a reality check!

You haven't let me down yet, Christie!!!! :annoy
claydevotee
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2005, 07:08:38 AM »

I know humor is subjective, but some people are serious all the time. I'm not one to dismiss other people's feelings, but sometimes I just want to say "lighten up!" Laughing is the only ab exercise some of us get at all, you know?

PAMELA/O GREAT WISE AND OMNISCIENT ONE:

Please don't ever lose your sense of humor.  You have a priceless gift that most certainly keeps us laughing and on our toes!!!
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2005, 07:21:05 AM »

Quote from: claydevotee
[ou do realize you have just validated the First Amendment and explained it in a way we can all relate to!!!!

Thanks for bringing up Christie's post Dev; I'm glad someone did.  I would have, but I thought it appeared self serving.  Wink

There are boards that don't allow the posting of anything negative about Clay, and that's fine.  I'm all about choice.  To be up front about it though, there are things we don't post - grossly inflammatory negative items from non journalistic sources for example.  

There is a thread in the Member's Corner for discussion of tabloid items, etc, just so you know.  Those topics are not off limits, I would just prefer they be in the private section of our forum.  As we know, the media does lurk on the fan boards.  I don't want them to find negative information here they don't already know about. Let them do their own work!

I sort of feel that some exposure to the negative items serves a purpose - that we become somewhat desensitized to the ignorant ramblings of some critics when they write things that are not only negative, but so outrageously around the bend that they start to appear ridiculous.  Does that make sense?

It's unfortunate, and I don't condone it or agree with it, but when you set foot into the public eye, you do become fair game for the untalented hacks whose have the power to put anything, true or false, up on the Internet.  A real writer knows how to make a point in a few well chosen words that don't resort to name calling, lies, insults and manipulative misjudgements.

The sad thing is that many people have a tendency to believe what they see on TV and read on the Internet or in the newspaper.  Honestly, after that p*ta incident in 2003, I have little faith that much of the media ever bothers to check a source any more.

No offense to our journalism students, or media members in our community, but that one incident was eye opening for me.
gcramsey
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2005, 07:58:25 AM »

There is good news, bad news, and defamation of character.

I somehow doubt that American Idol would put themselves on the line if they truly didn't believe that Bo and Scott had changed.

Why would they take the chance?
houstonclayfan
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2005, 08:43:45 AM »

Quote from: gcramsey
I somehow doubt that American Idol would put themselves on the line if they truly didn't believe that Bo and Scott had changed.

Why would they take the chance?

Money!  Do you think that AI really cares about the outside lives of the contestants ?!  As long as they are willing to agree with whatever 19E says and they make them money - thats all they care about!  
The reason why Frenchie and Corey were kicked off was because of their dishonesty, not because of what they had done.  19E probably dislikes dishonestly because THEY don't want to be lied to.....they would prefer to be kissed up to. They are protecting themselves!  They don't care about much else, IMO.  Its a business.

I truly hope that Bo and Scott have changed to, but we don't know if they have or they haven't.
mackncsu
Enthusiastic

I love it!

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2005, 08:59:05 AM »

There is good news, bad news, and defamation of character.

exactly... some things just aren't other people's business. What's in the past is in the past and I don't need to, or care to, know about it unless it affects me personally.

Tacet Twin #2 (the brains)
Dont hate me because Clay knows I dont play
Player of Clays favorite instrument!
gcramsey
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2005, 09:31:44 AM »

Quote from: houstonclayfan

Money!  Do you think that AI really cares about the outside lives of the contestants ?!  As long as they are willing to agree with whatever 19E says and they make them money - thats all they care about!

But how can they make them money if they are locked up? It's hard to go on tour, be on christmas specials, or record an album from the old 8 x 8 prison cell.

19E has to be concerned about their lives outside of the show.
houstonclayfan
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2005, 09:37:48 AM »

But how can they make them money if they are locked up? It's hard to go on tour, be on christmas specials, or record an album from the old 8 x 8 prison cell.

I could try to post a list of musicians that are into drugs, but it would be a LONG list. Their managers don't seem to care too much.  There are quite a few teenagers and even older people (unfortunately!) that do drugs every once and a while and lead a normal life outside of jail. I DEFINITELY do not agree with it but it is astonishing how much it is out there. I teach at-risk students so, trust me, I know!  I can refer you to 3 or 4 dealers if you are looking for one....
cjrmax
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2005, 09:44:09 AM »

And no successful recording artist has ever been arrested for anything?

And no successful recording artist has ever had scandal attached to them?

And no successful recording artist has ever been a bad boy or girl?

And its not only the "sleazy"rap artists I am talking about.  Look at one of Clay's favorites (and mine), James Taylor.  He has had drug problems for over 30 years - in and out of rehab.  He has gone years supposedly having kicked the habit and then you find out he is back in a rahab.  This sure has not hurt his career!

If they are actually in a prison cell, yes, that would at least temporarily put a crimp in their careers, but we are not talking about people about to face a jail sentance here.  And as they say, no publicity is bad publicity!  Every time one of these "scandals" is written about in the press, that's more publicity for AI!  That's why they don't care.  19R and the producers of AI have their own set of rules, which apparently says if you disclose your "criminal" past, you're ok (now I suppose if someone were a convicted murderer or something, maybe they would draw the line - but who knows!).  They acknowledge that people make mistakes and have pasts and that's ok as long as they are upfront about it.  This way there are no surprises and they are prepared for any backlash that may or may not occur.

Its not fair to condemn someone for a lifetime for mistakes made, paid for and - hopefully - corrected.
gcramsey
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2005, 09:49:48 AM »

Quote from: cjrmax

Its not fair to condemn someone for a lifetime for mistakes made, paid for and - hopefully - corrected.

My point exactly. Thank you!!  :clappy

All I can do is hope that they have corrected their mistakes and until I know differently, I will assume they have!
cjrmax
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2005, 09:54:17 AM »

My point exactly. Thank you!!  :clappy

Not exactly, Glen.  You don't even want to KNOW about it.  There is a BIG difference between not knowing about something and condemning someone for it.  Like I said before, when you have all the facts, then you can decide intelligently what you think.  What I was trying to say is the AI contestants should not be denied the CHANCE to make it simply because of their pasts.  Whether the public decides that their pasts should have a bearing on their success is up to the public once they know all the facts.
gcramsey
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2005, 10:02:57 AM »

Quote from: cjrmax
Whether the public decides that their pasts should have a bearing on their success is up to the public once they know all the facts.

But do we know all the facts about anybody? Not at all! All we ever know about people is what a few websites drag up about them. We get the news from what a few people want to dig for. Why is that fair.

I don't mind knowing the news. I don't care that they went to jail or got arrested. I just think that it should be fair to everyone. All their histories should be made newsworthy at the start of the show. No surprises, no timely release.

There should be a show segment about each contestant outlining all their positive points and low moments. Then we would be informed. Then we could make informed decisions.
Her
Enthusiastic

CLAY'S #1 FRECKLE LOVER

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2005, 10:22:24 AM »

Pamela, that's why I admire you so much is your sense of humor-one that I find refreshing and cerebral!!!

Now regarding your N.C. doing the lottery thing for education, not sure if it'll happen like it did here in Florida.  Once our lottery began, funds from programs previously earmarked for education were taken away because the Lottery came about!  Unfortunately, this was never represented to the public before "the vote", so of course, everyone thought a grand idea to help our education system since there would be lots of money available to better the education of children. NOT!

Official Charter Member of the OCD

He is the beloved singing teddy bear placed near a young girl's flouncy canopied bed.

claydevotee
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2005, 01:14:42 PM »

There should be a show segment about each contestant outlining all their positive points and low moments. Then we would be informed. Then we could make informed decisions.

Glen, in a perfect world your suggestion would make perfect sense.  But not everybody, especially those in the entertainment industry, is on the same high moral  plane as others.  I doubt that the American Idol franchise would have survived even 2 episodes if all of the warts and indiscretions of the contestants had been revealed in the show segment you have suggested.  After all, AI continues to tout itself as a "family show".  With all these revelations abouts the contestant's "low points", many families and, in fact, many sponsors would have been long gone.  So in this dog-eat-dog world, IMO, your suggestion is simply unrealistic.
gcramsey
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2005, 02:10:49 PM »

Quote from: claydevotee
So in this dog-eat-dog world, IMO, your suggestion is simply unrealistic.

I know it is, but it also unrealistic to think that we know enough to make informed decisions about anybody else on the show. That is the exact reason I choose to not to include any of their past mistakes into my decision making.

IMO, this is the only fair and impartial way to handle the situation.
GWENN
Enthusiastic

HE'S KILLING ME!!!!!!

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2005, 02:43:25 PM »

I AM LATE TO THIS DISCUSSION.  ALL I KNOW IS THAT NO ONE IS EVER PRIVY TO ALL OF THE FACTS BECAUSE, AS WE HAVE SEEN IN THE OJ TRIAL AND OTHER HIGH PROFILE THINGS, THE TRUTH CAN BE MANIPULATED.  BUT, WE ARE ALL ENTITLED TO KNOW FACTS.  HOPEFULLY, AS INTELLIGENT HUMAN BEINGS, WE CAN SORT THROUGH THE CRAP AND DECIDE FOR OURSELVES WHAT IS REAL.

GWENN

HIS VOICE WRAPS AROUND MY HEART.
KEEPER OF CLAY'S CHARM
ALWAYS AND FOREVER
cjrmax
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2005, 03:06:13 PM »

I know it is, but it also unrealistic to think that we know enough to make informed decisions about anybody else on the show. That is the exact reason I choose to not to include any of their past mistakes into my decision making.

Glen, to me that is really not being fair.  Some information is better than none!  We cannot ever know everything and everybody (and I am not just talking about AI contestants), so what should we do?  Ignore any and all information that may come light about someone?  I don't think that is very wise, but hey, its your choice to make.  If that is what makes you happy, go for it!  I just don't think its a realistic or informed way to think.  Just my IMO.

Now that we have beaten this poor horse to death, I need to just whine a little, ok???

WHY WHEN YOU CLOSE AT 5:00PM ON A FRIDAY DOES SOMEONE FEEL THEY CAN COME IN, THROUGH TONS OF INFORMATION AT YOU AND THEN SAY "CAN YOU GET ME THAT BY TOMORROW???  WE AREN'T OPEN ON SATURDAY!!!  THAT MEANS I HAVE TO DO IT BEFORE I LEAVE!!!

ITS FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I WANT TO GO HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Cry!  Cry!  Cry!  Cry!

Thank you.  I feel much better now!  
wisconsinmaniac
Enthusiastic

Filling Every Empty Space With Clay

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2005, 03:11:26 PM »

but it also unrealistic to think that we know enough to make informed decisions about anybody else on the show.

When I pick a favorite on AI, it starts out as being based on the voice and personality.  At that point, making an "informed decision" isn't even on my mind or in my vocabulary.

If negative news surfaces during the competition, this may or may not change how I perceive that particular performer.   If I don't care for the person, I tend to think even more negatively about him/her.    If the person is one of my favorites, I may easily brush it off as "no big deal".

This is an interesting topic.  I'm a late-comer to this conversation, too.  
I am very grateful that differences of opinion can be shared in an honorable manner on this board.

How lucky we are to understand and appreciate the true beauty of Clay Aiken and to follow him on his journey as he "makes a difference"!
mackncsu
Enthusiastic

I love it!

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2005, 03:47:49 PM »

OK, random rant...

You know what bugs me more than anything? It's when people (not necessarily people on this site) speak to other people in a condescending tone. What's the point of speaking to someone like that? Why be disrespectful? Why try to act like you're more intelligent? If you really were more intelligent than whomever you were talking to then you wouldn't act the way that you do. I just don't understand (and I’ve never understood) why people act like that. Why people feel that their way of thinking is better than someone else’s.

Just bugs me when I hear people talking this way, thinking this way, and see them acting this way. What does this accomplish besides making yourself look stupid and possibly making whomever you're talking to feel bad?

Tacet Twin #2 (the brains)
Dont hate me because Clay knows I dont play
Player of Clays favorite instrument!
Marilyn
ANN News Team
Enthusiastic

THE EPITOME OF DECORUM

« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2005, 05:30:17 PM »

MACK, THAT HAPPENED TO ME THIS MORNING. I WAS AT THE HOSPITAL TO GET AN ULTRASOUND ON MY LEG ARTERIES. I KNEW THIS BECAUSE
1. MY DOCTOR TOLD ME THAT
2. IT WAS ON THE PRESCRIPTION THAT I GAVE TO THE RADIOLOGIST

SO SHE STARTS SETTING UP EVERYTHING AND MENTIONS MY NECK.
I SAID"NO ITS MY LEGS"
AND SHE LOOKED DOWN HER NOSE AT ME AND SAID- IN THAT WAY YOU JUST MENTIONED- SUPERCILIOUS----
"THE CAROTID ARTERIES ARE IN YOUR NECK"
WELL, DUH LADY- EVEN I KNOW THAT!!
SO I ANSWERED QUITE SWEETLY
"THAT MAY BE, BUT YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE DOING THIS ON MY LEGS"  AND SHE LOOKED AT ME, THEN LOOKED AT THE PRESCRIPTION, AND GOT A LOOK ON HER FACE- AND SAID "OH, YOU'RE RIGHT!"
I JUST SMILED AND WAITED PATIENTLY WHILE SHE CHANGED THE ORDER BEFORE MY TEST!!

GRR--AND THIS HAPPENS WAY TOO FREQUENTLY

ALWAYS AND FOREVER-UNCONDITIONALLY!!!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 85 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx