gfx*HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:03:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Hot Links!

Content
   Forum
   Gallery
   Calendar
   Biography
   Chat
   Frappr
   MySpace
   Arcade
   PayPal Support
Recent Posts
[July 31, 2014, 09:19:55 PM]

[August 05, 2010, 09:35:10 PM]

[March 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:36:44 PM]

by Pepe
[March 21, 2010, 04:29:29 PM]

[March 21, 2010, 04:20:43 PM]

Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 329
Total: 329

gfx gfx
The forums here are now LOCKED.  You will still be able read ALL posts,  just not reply or start new threads.  Please start moving your discussions to our new forums located at http://www.claymaniacs.com/clayforums

gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: American Idol 5 Summer Tour (Info & Reviews)  (Read 6979 times)
ILClaymate
« on: May 01, 2006, 09:44:41 AM »

Please note: This is the thread for AI5 tour discussion, media, press and reviews.  In order for all this to be relevent, there will be spoiler info inside!!
Enjoy!! - Pamela

AI5 Tour schedule announced!

Pop Tarts presents American Idols Live Tour 2006
American Idols Live was one of the hottest tours last year and they're hitting the road again this summer. Tickets sell out quickly for these shows, so check back here to find out when you can get your tickets.

DATE
 CITY
 VENUE
 ON SALE DATE

6-Jul
 Manchester, NH
 Verizon Wireless Arena
 Sat, May 20 10AM

8-Jul
 Worcester, MA
 DCU Center
 Fri, May 19 10AM

9-Jul
 Hartford, CT
 Hartford Civic Center
 Sat, May 20 10AM

11-Jul
 Albany, NY
 Pepsi Arena
 Sat, May 20 10AM

12-Jul
 Hershey, PA
 GIANT Center
 Sat, May 20 10AM

13-Jul
 East Rutherford, NJ
 Continental Airlines Arena
 Sat, May 20 10AM

15-Jul
 Long Island, NY
 Nassau Coliseum
 Sat, May 20 10AM

18-Jul
 Wilkes Barre, PA
 Wachovia Arena
 Sat, May 20 10AM

19-Jul
 Cleveland, OH
 Wolstein Center
 Sat, May 20 10AM

21-Jul
 Rochester, NY
 BlueCross Arena
 Sat, May 20 10AM

22-Jul
 Philadelphia, PA
 Wachovia Center
 Sat, May 20 10AM

23-Jul
 Atlantic City, NJ
 Boardwalk Hall
 Sat, May 20 10AM

25-Jul
 Bridgeport, CT
 Arena at Harbor Yard
 Sat, May 20 10AM

27-Jul
 Pittsburgh, PA
 Mellon Arena
 Fri, May 19 10AM

28-Jul
 Washington DC
 Verizon Center
 Sat, May 20 10AM

29-Jul
 Richmond, VA
 Richmond Coliseum
 Sat, May 20 10AM

30-Jul
 Greensboro, NC
 Greensboro Coliseum
 Sat, May 20 10AM

1-Aug
 Charlotte, NC
 Charlotte Bobcats Arena
 Sat, May 20 10AM

2-Aug
 Columbia, SC
 Colonial Center
 Sat, May 20 10AM

3-Aug
 Duluth, GA
 Arena at Gwinnett Center
 Sat, May 20 10AM

5-Aug
 Sunrise, FL
 BankAtlantic Center
 Sat, May 20 10AM

6-Aug
 Tampa, FL
 St. Pete Times Forum
 Sat, May 20 10AM

8-Aug
 Birmingham, AL
 BJCC Arena
 Sat, May 20 10AM

10-Aug
 Nashville, TN
 Gaylord Entertainment Center
 Sat, May 20 10AM

11-Aug
 Columbus, OH
 Value City Arena
 Sat, May 20 10AM

12-Aug
 Milwaukee, WI
 Bradley Center
 Sat, May 20 10AM

13-Aug
 St. Louis, MO
 Savvis Center
 Sat, May 20 10AM

15-Aug
 Grand Rapids, MI
 Van Andel Arena
 Sat, May 20 10AM

16-Aug
 Detroit, MI
 Joe Louis Arena
 Sat, May 20 10AM

18-Aug
 Louisville, KY
 Freedom Hall
 Sat, May 20 10AM

19-Aug
 Chicago, IL
 Allstate Arena
 Sat, May 20 10AM

20-Aug
 Peoria, IL
 Peoria Civic Center
 Sat, May 20 10AM

22-Aug
 St. Paul, MN
 Xcel Energy Center
 Sat, May 20 10AM

26-Aug
 Los Angeles, CA
 Staples Center
 Sun, May 21 Noon

27-Aug
 Anaheim, CA
 Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim
 Sun, May 21 Noon

29-Aug
 Sacramento, CA
 ARCO Arena
 Sat, May 20 10AM

30-Aug
 San Jose, CA
 HP Pavilion at San Jose
 Sat, May 20 10AM

1-Sep
 Portland, OR
 Rose Garden
 Sat, May 20 10AM

2-Sep
 Tacoma, WA
 Tacoma Dome
 Sat, May 20 10AM

AMERICANIDOL.COM
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 05:20:59 AM »

American Idols’ tour prepares to hit the road
Concerts will benefit from longer songs and no judges, but no live band
COMMENTARY
By Helen A.S. Popkin
MSNBC contributor
Updated: 2:55 p.m. ET June 12, 2006
Taylor Hicks may be the latest American Idol, but fear not, “Idol” fans—the party isn’t over. As other television shows slip into summer-rerun doldrums, pop culture juggernaut “American Idol” will not be stopped. Beginning July 5 in Manchester, N.H., this season’s top 10 finalists embark on a national tour for the fifth annual “American Idols Live.”

Proving to be the hottest ticket this summer, this year’s “American Idols Live” is anticipated to run neck-and-neck with the season’s other mega tours, which include the likes of Mariah Carey, Bruce Springsteen and the Rolling Stones. Blockbuster ticket sales led to additional dates and new stops, expanding “American Idols Live” to a 60-date tour, with the final show on September 24 in Wilkes-Barre, Penn.

No surprise, considering this year’s season of “American Idol” reportedly averaged almost 30 million viewers per episode, and was the No. 1 show in its time slot. According to the Yahoo Buzz Index, which reports hot Internet searches, “American Idols Live” is the most searched-for summer concert. And a recent report of Yahoo’s top five overall search terms featured four “AI” related phrases, including  “American Idol,” the names of this year’s winner and runner-up, Taylor Hicks and Katharine McPhee, and everyone’s favorite “is he or isn’t he?” Idol, Clay Aiken.

Along with Hicks and McPhee, this year’s “American Idols Live,” features the live-song stylings of finalists Elliott Yamin (third), Chris Daughtry (fourth), Paris Bennett (fifth), Kellie Pickler (sixth), Ace Young (seventh) Bucky Covington (eighth), Mandisa Hundley (ninth) and Lisa Tucker (tenth).

Unstoppable Idol
As a pop-culture phenomenon that started on free T.V., “American Idol,” continually proves itself to be something fans are happy to pay for. Together, previous winners Kelly Clarkson, Ruben Studdard, Fantasia, Carrie Underwood, and runners up Clay Aiken and Bo Bice, reportedly have sold 33 million records. And let’s not forget anti-Idol William Hung’s $500,000-plus record sales, not to mention the “American Idols Encores” LPs released after each season, featuring the 12 finalists and the full versions of their signature numbers.

Naturally, fans flock to “American Idols Live,” happily paying up to $71.50 per ticket plus service charge to see the performers we’ve rooted for (or ragged on) all season. Unlike any other reality show, this “American Idol” cross-country after-party gives fans the opportunity to commune and meet (at least, at a distance) the performers we feel we’ve come to know. No one wants to hang out with the obnoxious spouses of “Wife Swap” or any scruffy, smelly “Survivor.” But the chance to see Taylor Hicks bust out “Taking It to the Street,” (and see if he’s improved some of those bizarre stage moves that freaked out even his biggest fans) is another story.

Unlike the television show, “American Idols Live” won’t feature any input from the judges. No snappy insults from Simon Cowell — he won’t be there to pick on Kellie Pickler, and Taylor is free to wear that purple jacket so hated by Simon (but loved by Taylor’s fan following, the Soul Patrol). There won’t be any peppy weirdness from Paula Abdul, none of her bizarre elimination-round comments about melons, corn flakes, and fortune cookies. Randy Jackson won’t be there to call anyone “dawg,” and of course, no Ryan Seacrest. Then again, their absence could be part of the attraction.

CONTINUED: Will Bucky bust out "Fat Bottomed Girls" again?

No one to judge
At “American Idols Live,” fans of all ages are free to scream for their favorites. Away from the television, and packed into sold-out concert halls filled with fellow true believers, there’s no need to worry what the neighbors or anybody else thinks. Free from the judges, fans are free from having to play judge as well. No need to frantically dial and redial to make sure your favorite wins. With the pressure off for the season, everyone is free to enjoy each performer in the show.

Like the “American Idols Encore” LP, “American Idols Live,” also gives fans the opportunity to hear finalists perform the full versions of their signature songs, instead of the 90-second versions cut down for TV’s time constraints. In the case of the fifth season’s “Encore” LP, this wasn’t always a good thing. Bucky Covington’s “Superstition” comes off weak and Mandisa Hundley’s vocals for  “I’m Every Woman,” are buried in the mix. Katharine McPhee’s recorded performance of “Think” makes you wonder how she got to second place.

Fortunately with live shows, there’s always room for surprises — and not just the button-popping variety experienced by Katharine this past season, when her wardrobe malfunction revealed her underthings (maybe that’s how she got to second place). If Elliott Yamin’s show-stopping performances during the Elvis Presley tribute are any indication, the third-place contestant should have something equally sensational for the tour. And keep your fingers crossed that Bucky breaks out the full rendition of Queen’s ““Fat Bottomed Girls.”

If this year’s show runs like previous “American Idols Live” tours, performers will be accompanied by recorded music tracks instead of live musicians. This karaoke concept is disappointing — it would be great to see how these promising singers perform with a real band. But considering that many established pop musicians tour with backing tracks and prerecorded vocals, this is pretty much business as usual. However, just as Justin Guarini played piano in the first American Idols Live tour, we can look forward to Tucker breaking out his guitar.

Also in the mix: expect plenty of choreographed pop star moves, mugging for the big screens projecting stage action to the people in the far-off seats, and at least one group number. There might even be a few surprise guests, just as on “American Idol” this past season, which featured Prince, Clay Aiken and David Hasselhoff.

Sadly, “American Idols Live,” is probably the last hurrah for many of the finalists. (Nikki McKibbin anyone? Justin Guarini, hellloooooo?) But while the tour’s on, everyone’s a winner — at least everyone lucky enough to score a ticket before they sell out.

New York City writer Helen A.S. Popkin has her fingers crossed for a surprise guest appearance by Golden Idol “Best Public Speaker” winner and all-around potty-mouthed diva, Rhonetta Johnson.

© 2006 MSNBC Interactive

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13173231/

AI Forum Moderator
Yup, I think about Clay probably about as often as men think about sex.
"Half my butt is mac & cheese and the other half is Krispy Kreme..." Clay Aiken
Carpe Clayum-Seize the Clay
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 11:21:39 AM »

Taylor Dusts Off Harmonica, Kellie Puts Country Spin On 'Grease' For 'Idol' Tour

"On the show I wasn't allowed to be an instrumentalist. Now I'm free as an artist, and I'm very excited about that." — Taylor Hicks

BURBANK, California — Kellie Pickler has one complaint about the upcoming American Idols Live Tour.

"I'm really upset that we're not going to Albemarle," the Southern belle from — yep! — Albemarle, North Carolina, deadpanned during a break from rehearsals Thursday.

"Where're we going to perform if we go there?" Mandisa shot back.

"Well, you know, there aren't stadiums, but there are farms," Pickler replied. "We can have a hoedown."

Pickler's had a hard time convincing tour promoters to hit her hometown of 15,000, but the good news is, she's bringing her hoedown with her.

Pickler's peppy country vibe is just one of a vast variety of styles taking center stage at this summer's annual "Idol" tour, which kicks off July 5 in Manchester, New Hampshire (see " 'American Idol' Top 10 Add 20 More Shows To Summer Plans").

"We've got so many different genres of music for the tour, I think everyone will find a song they'll like," Pickler promised. "And we've got a lot of surprises. We've got group songs and duets and everything."

The Idols — the top 10 from the 2006 season — would like to keep the show full of surprises, but MTV News managed to get a few details out of them Thursday, beginning with Pickler's duet.

"Bucky [Covington] and I are singing a song together," Pickler revealed. "It's a song off of 'Grease,' I'll tell you that, but it's still country."

"Yeah, we could sing a song about a Big Mac with no cheese and they'd say, 'Is that a country song?' " Covington added. "We checked out a bunch of country duets, but we wanted something kinda funner, you know? And there aren't that many country duets out there."

"They're all love songs, and Bucky's not that lucky," Pickler quipped.

Also singing together will be Paris Bennett with Lisa Tucker and Mandisa with Ace Young. "I'm going to try to sing over the screams of girls in the audience," Mandisa said.

"[The concert promoters] definitely want us to do our compilation songs, but I think all of us are so tired of doing genres that we just want to sing, we just want to do what we do," she continued. "I can't do anything out of my niche. When I tried to do it, I got kicked off, so I'm gonna stick to what I know."

Chris Daughtry and runner-up Katharine McPhee were absent from Thursday's rehearsals, but winner Taylor Hicks was present and coughing up more than anyone else about his American Idols Live set.

"Expect some vintage rock and roll. I'll probably do some Beatles, some obscure Beatles," Hicks said. "And Kat, I love singing with her. I'll do some stuff with other people. Harmonica, of course. I'll be playing a lot of guitar. On the show I wasn't allowed to be an instrumentalist. Now I'm free as an artist, and I'm very excited about that."

And he's not the only one. Covington's been teaching Young guitar, so don't be surprised to see either with an ax around their neck.

"And I can tell you I finally get to play piano and sing, so I'm so excited about that," Tucker said.

And Bennett is promising both her of signatures from the show.

"I get to shake one more time, but this time I get to do it in full-fledge, and it's not just a minute," she said, referring to the Beyoncé moves she showcased on "Idol." "And if I wear my hair the same for every song, people are going to be like, 'No, that's not her.' So trust me, I've got some tricks under my sleeves."

Third-place finisher Elliott Yamin is also looking forward to the comparative freedom the tour will offer.

"There's no cameras and no judges, so I think all of us are gonna be a little more natural," he said. "I know I'll be a little more natural, less nervous. We're gonna have a lot of fun."

"We're gonna do the crowd favorites, obviously," Ace said. "But on top of that, I wanna show the world what's to come from Ace Young, what my style is, what I write like, what to expect. It's gonna be crazy, but I'm gonna definitely take the whole world on the ride with me."

Lots of video included at MTV.com
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 11:31:00 PM »

Tour Set List

Mandisa: "I'm Every Woman", "If I Was Your Woman"
Mandisa and Ace: "I'm Your Angel"
Ace: "Father Figure", "Harder to Breathe"
Lisa: "Signed, Sealed, Delivered", "Your Song" "Someone Saved My Life Tonight"
Lisa and Paris: "Waterfalls"
Paris: "Midnight Train to Georgia", "Crazy in Love"
Bucky: "Superstition", "Drift Away",
Bucky and Kellie: "You're the One That I Want"
Kellie: "Walkin' After Midnight", "I'm the Only One"

INTERMISSION

Chris: "Whole Lotta Love", "Wanted Dead or Alive"
Chris and Elliott: "Renegade, Savin' Me"
Elliott: "All My Love", "Trouble" (Elvis), "Moody's Mood for Love"
Bucky, Chris, Elliott, Ace: "Patience" (Tribute to Katharine)
Mandisa, Lisa, Paris, Kellie: Girls medley from the Finale - "I'm a Woman", "I Feel Like a Woman"
Taylor: "Jailhouse Rock", "Hollywood Nights", "Sweet Soul Music", "What's Goin' On", "Livin' for the City", "Don't Let Me Down", "Do I Make You Proud"

ENCORE

Taylor: "Takin' it to the Streets"
The Idols without Taylor: "We Are the Champions"
Everyone: "Living in America"
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 11:34:24 PM »

The reason Kat McPhee is not shown on the set list:

'Idol' McPhee scratched from Verizon show

Manchester – “American Idol” runner-up Katharine McPhee has been sidelined from the opening leg of the “American Idols LIVE!” tour because of a case of “severe bronchitis and laryngitis,” publicists announced just hours before tonight’s kickoff show in Manchester.

“I’m disappointed and I am sorry to disappoint fans,” McPhee wrote in a statement released to reporters. However, she said, “(I) need to follow my Doctor’s orders in order to recuperate and reunite with the rest of the Idols.”

McPhee is expected to miss tonight’s debut show and a second performance Thursday night, both sold-out, at the Verizon Wireless Arena. The nationwide tour unites all 10 finalists from this year’s season of the hit FOX show.

McPhee’s physician, Dr. Sean Nassari, said the 22-year-old star needs “total voice rest” before she may return to the stage, according to the statement.

News that McPhee would not be performing in Manchester devastated fans who waited all day outside the Verizon Wireless Arena, hoping for a chance to meet the former contestants. Two girls from Massachusetts, both wearing homemade McPhee T-shirts, slumped on the concrete and cried.

“She’s the only reason I bought tickets,” said one girl, Jessica Gibson, 19, of Whitman.

McPhee recently canceled a number of press appearances after revealing she is a recovering bulimic, several online publications reported last week.

Manchester Union Leader
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 11:37:40 PM »

And.... interesting.  From the article linked above.

Tomorrow, UnionLeader.com and the New Hampshire Union Leader will have full coverage of the concert and the scene outside.

However, there will probably be no photos of the concert itself. The tour's organizers unexpectedly made demands that included the right to review and approve all Union Leader pictures of the American Idol performers before publication. The newspaper does not permit such outside control over its independent reporting and news photography.

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 11:56:27 PM »

USA Today Idol Chatter Blog covers the first night of the tour in their blog.
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 07:39:42 AM »

PiX!!!

Bucky, Elliott, Ace and Chris

Elliott, Taylor, Ace, Chris and Paris

Elliott and Ace
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 09:19:07 AM »

Hicks’ hysterics mar impressive Idol show

Taylor Hicks needs to chill out.

Making a ridiculously grandiose entrance at the Verizon Wireless Arena, he came bucking and snorting from the back of the house and worked his way through the crowd like a bull released from captivity.

Singing Elvis Presley’s ‘‘Jailhouse Rock,” he seemed like a desperate-to-please Vegas act instead of a newly crowned American Idol. His career may be over before it’s really started.

Hicks carelessly botched Bob Seger’s ‘‘Hollywood Nights,” barking out incomplete lines and oversinging to the point where his voice cracked. His perpetual conniption fit continued through an oldies set that included his single, ‘‘Do I Make You Proud?”

This came as a clunker ending to a surprisingly enjoyable show featuring nine of the finalists from the recently concluded 2006 season of ‘‘American Idol.” Their tour, sponsored (with unintentional irony) by Pop Tarts, opened with shows Wednesday and last night in Mancester, N.H., before moving to the DCU Center in Worcester tonight and tomorrow.

Boston Herald

*ouch*

Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 07:57:59 AM »

These `Idol' Finalists Instantly Forgettable
July 11, 2006
By THOMAS KINTNER, Special to the Courant

The fifth season of television's "American Idol" made its typical pop culture splash as it built to a May 24 showdown between Taylor Hicks and Katharine McPhee, from which Hicks emerged victorious.

Fans who packed into the Hartford Civic Center to see the program's annual summer road show were denied the satisfaction of a rematch when McPhee pulled out of the tour's early dates due to what was announced as severe bronchitis and laryngitis. The show they did get was a touch wheezy as well, as nine of the show's top finishers relied more on celebrity than style in a performance that exposed limitations without offering anything that might distract from those flaws.

The show's yearly tour is a current-events play. Next summer, most of Sunday's performers will be afterthoughts. Among them is Mandisa, whose show-opening trip through "I'm Every Woman" typified most singers on the bill, as she jettisoned subtlety to fill its chittering dance pulse with vocal acrobatics. Heartthrob Ace Taylor elicited more shrieks for removing his sport coat than for anything he did atop a bed of canned background vocals in an overwrought "Father Figure."

The youngest contestant, 16-year-old Lisa Tucker, worked "Your Song" with soul-style elongation, but wound up with a flat celebration of her own voice that didn't capture the song's character. Paris Bennett took similar liberties during her assault on a Gladys Knight standard that came complete with prerecorded Pips, as she overpowered "Midnight Train to Georgia."

Bucky Covington, the most underwhelming stage performer on the bill, sauntered through "Drift Away" in a no man's land between rocker's grit and cowboy heart. His duet with Kellie Pickler on "You're the One That I Want" had no spark. Pickler yammered between songs, and her rendition of "Something To Talk About" was alarmingly robotic.

Bald-pated Chris Daughtry thrilled the audience with his presence, but his barking "Wanted Dead or Alive" had more slick sheen than raw energy. Elliott Yamin sauntered through a trio or R&B tunes, but his "Never Too Much" was a reminder of how difficult it is to emulate Luther Vandross.

When the eight runners-up broke down by gender, the males' take on the rock ballad "Patience" was dreary, and the female trip through "Man! I Feel Like a Woman" was awkward. Bennett's voice was missing because of malfunctioning microphones.

McPhee's absence was not as much of a disaster as it would have been had she won, but it still diminished the show. Fans still had the chance to pick up buttons, posters and glossies sporting her likeness at the souvenir stand. Hicks had more load to carry, and he proved too much of a one-note act to do so.

Hicks stomped his feet as quickly as he could, but he's devoid of magnetism, nuance or style. He bludgeoned six tunes, from Bob Seger's "Hollywood Nights" to his signature ballad "Do I Make You Proud," then came back for a finesse-free encore of "Taking It to the Streets."

Hartford Courant
Pamela
Assistant Webmaster
Enthusiastic

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 08:01:32 AM »

Idols satisfy fans with syrupy pop confections
By Linda Laban, Globe Correspondent  |  July 10, 2006

WORCESTER -- More than one wag no doubt noted the irony that the American Idols Live concert tour, which arrived at the DCU Center in Worcester for a sold-out two-night spree on Friday and Saturday, was sponsored by the cardboard-like pastry snack, Pop - Tarts.

Though music purists shudder at pre-fab pop stars and polarizing talent contests, bundling artists into palatable packages has been a music business mode since the 1920s jazz boom days. Even the Rolling Stones were first mass-marketed on package tours, albeit after they sweated it out in London's blues dives. The `` American Idol " breed doesn't appear to care for sweating their way to the top. Gyrating, pouting, and strutting there in full spotlight maybe.

Saturday night's bill was to comprise the fifth season's top 10 finalists, but Boston Conservatory alumna Katherine McPhee was once again absent ``due to illness," as the brief note by the will-call windows proclaimed.

The drill was simple: Each finalist sang a couple of songs, accompanied by the five-piece ``house" band. Then the next performer appeared for a duet, nicely sewing these short stops into a continuous stream of entertainment. After an intermission, additional individual performances were followed by two group ones: first the guys -- male-model handsome Ace Young , the genuinely talented Chris Daughtry, Dukes of Hazzard-schooled Bucky Covington , and buoyant jazzy Elliott Yamin -- minus headliner and season-five winner, Taylor Hicks. The quartet performed a note-for-note, but nevertheless impressive rendition of Guns N' Roses' ``Patience."

Then came the girls -- the glorious-voiced Mandisa; chatty, cute Kellie Pickler; plucky Lisa Tucker; and hip-wiggling Paris Bennett -- who united for a parroted rendition of Shania Twain's ``Man! I Feel Like a Woman!," complete with awkward stripper-esque dance routine.

Had they been competing, the guys would've won hands down. Particularly Daughtry, who dug deep into all the songs he performed, going far deeper than the night's two-dimensional displays.

Finally -- almost -- came Hicks, who passed Go and went straight for Vegas with a flashy, fun entrance. The silver-haired novelty bopped his way through the auditorium singing -- as best he could while he caught his breath -- Elvis Presley's signature rocker, ``Jailhouse Rock."

For all the goopy triteness of his performance -- should he be forgiven for turning the Beatles' haunting ``Don't Let Me Down" into a funky romp? -- Hicks was entertaining, energetically pounding out covers before ending with his hugely sentimental ballad, ``Do I Make You Proud?"

What could follow such a glowstick-waving wrap-up song? A finale uniting these Idols for Queen's ``We Are the Champions." For some, however, David Bowie's ``Heroes," with its lament of `` We can be heroes, just for one day," would have been more appropriate.

Boston Globe
claymagic
Clayamateur

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 11:33:22 AM »

"American Idols" fill Pepsi Arena with fans
Taylor Hicks, Chris Daughtry perform for a sold-out crowd
By Steve Barnes, Senior Writer
July 12, 2006

ALBANY -- Step aside, Taylor Hicks. You may have won the popular vote on "American Idol" this year, but the real rock star and career-deserving singer from the competition is Chris Daughtry.

Daughtry's got a great voice, abundant charisma and a compelling personality. Hicks, conversely, is a showman, not an original artist.

About the show's runner-up, Katharine McPhee, judgment must be suspended. She didn't perform onstage Tuesday night at the Pepsi Arena, when the fifth edition of the "American Idols Live" tour performed more than three dozen songs to a sold-out crowd of more than 11,000. McPhee has had laryngitis and bronchitis since the tour opened a week ago.

Everything that's wrong with "American Idol" the television program was on view at the concert. It's fun and irritating, often in equal measure. While similar in outline to versions past, the concert was better than some, but not as deep in talent as last year's performance by the top-10 finishers of season four and never as inspiring as moments from the previous year, when winner Fantasia showed why she's still the most original musical artist to come out of "A.I."

The show and subsequent concert tour -- so confected in mass-appeal sweetness that the latter is sponsored by Pop-Tarts -- makes stars out of talented youngsters, then prepackages most of them to remove their originality.

Paris Bennett, she of pipsqueak voice and adult musicality, gets turned into a rump-shaking R&B diva doing a cover of Beyonce's "Crazy in Love." Bucky Covington, who ought to be singing Lynyrd Skynyrd, is instead sent out to do Stevie Wonder's "Superstition," trying to dance atop his pipe-cleaner legs but looking more like he's shimmying in a hard-shocked F-150 pickup driving over a washboard dirt road.

And Kellie Pickler, who's as much a country singer as last year's "A.I." winner, Carrie Underwood, get assigned confident-woman tunes including Melissa Etheridge's "I'm the Only One" and Bonnie Raitt's "Something to Talk About." She performs them well, but the songs are utterly at odds with the supreme-ditz personality she showed America this spring on TV.

The problem, then, is one of distinctive personality, of uniqueness, and that's in woeful sort supply in "American Idols Live."

Hicks is the star example. He's got a measure of talent, a seasoned voice and good enough personality to be the best wedding singer you've ever seen. But he sped through "Jailhouse Rock," glopped faux emotion onto Bob Seger's "Hollywood Nights" and ruined the Beatles' "Don't Let Me Down" with a slinky George Benson jazz version.

Daughtry, in contrast, roared magnificently on Styx's "Renegade" and Bon Jovi's "Dead or Alive." He and Elliott Yamin provided the best duet of the night with a Nickelback tune (a group that, coincidentally, had preceded the Idols into the Pepsi a night earlier).

As for the others: Ace Young may have a career in toothpaste commercials. Lisa Tucker isn't yet an adult. Mandisa ought to be a dance-track diva like Martha Wash, but her stated discomfort with homosexuality seems to preclude that. Taylor Hicks will be fine. But, please, let his dreadful current single, "Do I Make You Proud," be his last. Chris Daughtry deserves the airtime.

Albany Times Union

Pictures:
Finale
Chris
Bucky & Elliott
Taylor
Ace & Mandisa

"Be yourself... stay in your own lane."
~Everything is better with whipped cream~
"Clay Aiken: character and integrity personified" ~ Lara Spencer
LuvMyClay
Enthusiastic

He Makes My Day

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2006, 12:32:27 PM »

Becky.... did you take those pictures? 
claymagic
Clayamateur

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2006, 01:44:26 PM »

I sure did!  See any you like?   Smile

"Be yourself... stay in your own lane."
~Everything is better with whipped cream~
"Clay Aiken: character and integrity personified" ~ Lara Spencer
LuvMyClay
Enthusiastic

He Makes My Day

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2006, 02:10:25 PM »

Well, I had to ask since you didn't volunteer the information.  rofl  Wow!  They came out really good!!!!   I like them all!!!!!
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2006, 04:18:47 AM »

Tour video (I can post more if anyone's interested) :

Chris & Elliott duet

Everyone singing We Are the Champions

The best kind of friend is the one you could sit on a porch with, never saying a word, and walk away feeling like that was the best conversation you've had.
Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
aikenseeker
Global Moderator
Enthusiastic

Yeah, he wants me.

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2006, 05:31:04 AM »

Tour video (I can post more if anyone's interested) :

Chris & Elliott duet

Everyone singing We Are the Champions

Urm... Meesa!

You know, I have a wittle question for you... you wouldn't happen to have urm...

Any BUCKY vids would ya?

Hee!

bigsmile

AI Forum Moderator
Yup, I think about Clay probably about as often as men think about sex.
"Half my butt is mac & cheese and the other half is Krispy Kreme..." Clay Aiken
Carpe Clayum-Seize the Clay
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2006, 05:35:08 AM »

I'll get them for you tonight. You can see a good close shot of Bucky in the "We Are the Champions" download.

The best kind of friend is the one you could sit on a porch with, never saying a word, and walk away feeling like that was the best conversation you've had.
Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2006, 05:07:20 PM »

Meet and Greet Videos on YouTube :

Idol Junkie #1

Idol Junkie #2

Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
KSChristian4Clay
Gallery Admin
Enthusiastic

With all my heart!

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2006, 04:26:43 AM »

Bucky in Manchester:

Drift Away

Queen of Clack
Miss you Kris!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx